Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I love the fact that it would have been a perfect game...except he plunked THREE batters.

And also some useless trivia - the Giants have had a no-hitter four years in a row by three pitchers (Heston, Lincecum twice and some other guy). The last time any team had no-hitters four years in a row was in the 60's with the Dodgers. But they only needed one pitcher to do it, Mr. Sandy Koufax.

The other guy was Matt Cain and his no-hitter was a perfect game. 

• Love 1

See you may scoff at my At Bat app but where else are you going to get notifications like this - "Bryce Harper faces a younger pitcher for the first time in his MLB career. He flied out to left."

• Love 2

See you may scoff at my At Bat app but where else are you going to get notifications like this - "Bryce Harper faces a younger pitcher for the first time in his MLB career. He flied out to left."

I've got At Bat with a radio subscription and it's great.

• Love 1

I have At Bat "lite" and love it.  T-Mobile keeps telling me I can get the full version for free but it always asks me for a credit card number and that's not gonna happen.

I've hat At Bat for years.  But this year, they stopped making it for BlackBerry (go ahead, laugh at me...).  So I have my XM app on the phone so I can still listen to games.  Because if I didn't, I'd have to kill someone... 

(edited)

Back in the day, the Orioles of 1971 had FOUR 2 game winners! I do remember that and it as amazing but yet it showed just how reachable 2 wins is...or was

I know what you meant, but I admit, reading that put a smile on my face.

Edited by reggiejax

YES was showing a classic today of the Yanks home opener on 4/8/2003 and it was awesome.

It must have been frigid because you could see Pettitte's breath when he was just standing on the mound. One thing I noticed is Jeter wasn't in the field but I don't know if he was injured or DH-ing because I could only watch for thirty minutes. But ahh Bernie! Jorge! Godzilla, who smacked a grand slam! Robin Ventura...? Definitely do not remember that.

It must have been Matsui's first year with the way they were talking. It was amusing that they were comparing Matsui to Ichiro because they aren't even close to the same player so there is only one reason to compare them and that's not cool, Michael Kay.

And oh, to hear it again..."now batting, number 51, Bernie Williams. Number 51."

• Love 1

It must have been frigid because you could see Pettitte's breath when he was just standing on the mound.

Opening day in New York - I'd believe it.  Went to a couple of home openers at Shea where you couldn't wear enough it was so cold.

Anyone remember the Yanks' '96 home opener against the Royals? Snowing like crazy, Bernie wearing a face mask, someone dressed as Santa in the stands, and the home plate umpire in shirtsleeves. Oh, and Johnny Damon playing center field for Kansas City.

• Love 1
(edited)

Fun fact from SNY (the Mets' channel). There are only four (!) players that have consecutive game streaks greater than a hundred games. 

Baseball and softball have applied for inclusion in the Olympics again. I don't know the details of why it happened, but I always thought it was bullshit that they got kicked out in the first place. The game is robust enough around the world that every continent except Antarctica (ETA and Africa) has produced players talented enough to play in MLB, the highest level of the sport. 

I bet team handball can't say that.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 3
(edited)

It's cool when your team gets picked to be on Sunday Night Baseball but man, they must not look at all at the team's schedule (or care). The Giants are playing the Nationals over 4th of July. They have a 6pm game on Friday, an 11am game on Saturday (the 4th) and now an 8pm game on Sunday for Sunday Night Baseball. The kicker is that they have a 7pm game in SF the following day. Meaning they will likely finish the game in DC around 11pm or midnight, take a 6 hour flight back to SF, get home around 5 or 6am and then have a game that night. This is after it JUST happened this week, where they played the Mets at 7pm last night and have a 7pm game in SF tonight. They landed at 4am. It should be required for home teams to have day games if their opponent has a cross-country flight for a game the next day. It's ridiculous that a team can ask for that accomodation and the home team can refuse it (like the Mets did). At least the second one isn't the fault of the Nats.

Edited by rippleintime17

Opening day in New York - I'd believe it.  Went to a couple of home openers at Shea where you couldn't wear enough it was so cold.

At least 2 Opening Day games in Bmore where it snowed (that I remember) - one at Memorial Stadium when Storm Davis was the starter - one at Camden Yards when they had to stop the game for about half an hour because you couldn't pick up a fly ball in the snow.

Opening night 2005, we hosted the Saux after the epic Series win in 2004...it's the coldest I've ever been in a stadium in my life.  Including wearing all of the clothes I'd brought on vacation in Denver in 2001, and several Tater Monday night games at RFK.  

One of my favorite memories was watching Edgar Renteria in the World Series in Cleveland wearing a ski mask...

xaxat . . . I think it's a matter of MLB not stopping their schedule to accommodate the Olympics that's the biggest stumbling block. That, and the lack of competitive play from Europe. The best we can get is the World Baseball Classic . . . which is glorified spring training.

My local Fox station had a weather map for a t-storm watch (not even a warning) over the Fox box most of the game.   The only stat you could see was pitches thrown. 

So dumb

Bud Black was relieved of his duties today per mlb. How diplomatic of them.

Are the Padres that bad? I'm guilty of coastal bias so I have no idea.

Isn't San Diego on a coast?   :)

It's always east coast bias.

And, Royals now lead in 8 of 9 All-Star categories.

True I should have assumed it was east coast but I figured LA and somewhat SF get the bi-coastal bias as well.

Anyway I was about to post about the All Royals line up eve the 4th outfield would be a Royal.

Obviously MLB has to do something about this but on their twitter feed they are boasting that  the vote will eclipse the last high mark of 391 million.

What the need to do is stop the idea that the game should count for home field advantage in the WS. Eliminate that, and I have no problem with ballot stuffing.

• Love 1
(edited)

Top of the ninth, two out, one on, Yanks down by one and Girardi sends A-Rod up to pinch hit in Miami. I watched his at bat much like I watched the end of last night's Game of Thrones...through my fingers, barely breathing.

(He popped out.)

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

Bud Black was relieved of his duties today per mlb. How diplomatic of them.

Are the Padres that bad? I'm guilty of coastal bias so I have no idea.

I think the Padres were a game above .500 but obviously the front office expected a lot more than that what with all of their off season acquisitions. 

One of my recent favorite players, Dave Roberts, has been named interim manager.  I love that guy and hope he gets a fair chance at taking over the position permanently. 

the Padres were a game over .500 and their manager was fired, and yet Ryne Sandberg (and Ruben Amaro) still has a job. Even though (my beloved) Phillies are the worst team in baseball and have scored three runs in the last 4 games and are on a 7 game losing streak and have only won one game in the last 11 games. I know the expectations of both teams are completely different but I am not sure why the Phillies GM and Manager still have jobs.

• Love 1

Holy shit!

I think the Cardinals have been generally regarded as a model franchise but it now looks like they me be cheats, and not in just a "deflated balls" type of way. 

Cardinals Face F.B.I. Inquiry in Hacking of Astros’ Network

The F.B.I. and Justice Department prosecutors are investigating whether front-office officials for the St. Louis Cardinals, one of the most successful teams in baseball over the past two decades, hacked into internal networks of a rival team to steal closely guarded information about player personnel. Investigators have uncovered evidence that Cardinals officials broke into a network of the Houston Astros that housed special databases the team had built, according to law enforcement officials. Internal discussions about trades, proprietary statistics and scouting reports were compromised, the officials said.

And if they did it with one team, I think it's safe to assume other teams were also victims.

I don't think that is a safe assumption.  Apparently, a guy who ran the Cardinals' scouting system was hired away by the Astros several years ago and the Cardinals may have been using a list of his old passwords to hack into his new system.  They apparently anonymously leaked a lot of info they found at the time to Deadspin.  So this seems like a targeted hit. Which I by no means excuse, just think it may lead away from a conclusion of systemic cheating of this sort.

• Love 2

You're right, based on what has been reported, I might have jumped to conclusions. However in the era of Big Data Baseball (an excellent book about how my Bucs use analytics), it would not surprise me at all if someone on the Cards snooped around on other teams once they made the decision to hack the Astros.

(edited)

What I want to know is the Astros? Really?

One of my recent favorite players, Dave Roberts, has been named interim manager. I love that guy and hope he gets a fair chance at taking over the position permanently.

Sorry. Pat Murphy got the interim tag for the rest of the year.

Edited by mojoween

Damn, that was a fast switch.  The story I read first thing this morning named Dave Roberts as interim manager but said Pat Murphy was on the list of candidates.  Oh well, maybe it's better for Roberts this way since I'm not sure this is an organization I'd want to be managing.

I don't think that is a safe assumption.  Apparently, a guy who ran the Cardinals' scouting system was hired away by the Astros several years ago and the Cardinals may have been using a list of his old passwords to hack into his new system.  They apparently anonymously leaked a lot of info they found at the time to Deadspin.  So this seems like a targeted hit. Which I by no means excuse, just think it may lead away from a conclusion of systemic cheating of this sort.

I just read about this.  This is my team and I'm horrified.  Supposedly, the Astros GM was with the Cardinals until 2011 and he was a very polarizing guy.  This seems to be conducted by some "vengeful front-office employees", to "wreak havoc" on the GM personally. 

The Cardinals are often mocked as boy scouts or choir boys, and this is going to give the whole organization a black eye.  The article I read was posted with a pick of Matheny, which automatically implies he's complicit - which he apparently isn't.  I hope these guys are fired and prosecuted.  How much damage will they cause to the organization because they're disgruntled employees?

the Padres were a game over .500 and their manager was fired, and yet Ryne Sandberg (and Ruben Amaro) still has a job. Even though (my beloved) Phillies are the worst team in baseball and have scored three runs in the last 4 games and are on a 7 game losing streak and have only won one game in the last 11 games. I know the expectations of both teams are completely different but I am not sure why the Phillies GM and Manager still have jobs.

The Brewers aren't the worst!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you believe in miracles?  Yes! Yes! Yes!

I get why they don't fire Sandberg, why pay two salaries to oversee this dumpster fire.

But why have Amaro in "charge" of the draft and the inevitable Hamels trade?  I've got to believe it's 100% Gillick's show and Amaro is just there to do interviews and piss of the fans.

But lord is this team tough to watch.

• Love 1

RE:   The Astros hacking.   So the guy goes from one team to another and uses the same damn passwords?   Every IT professional is smacking their heads right now.    Not condoning what the Cardinals alleged did, but the guy did make it easy for them.   Moron.

• Love 1

Phillies lost to Baltimore 19-3.  Philadelphia brought in Jeff Francouer to pitch the last two innings and he threw 48 pitches.  Apparently the Phils couldn't get a reliever up in the bullpen because the bullpen phone wasn't working.