Type keyword(s) to search

Flaunting Your Flesh in Temptation's Raiment: Favorite LHOTP Quotes

"He said I was pretty"!

"You bore me, too, that doesn't make you my mother"!

"LIES! LIESLIESLIESLIES"!

And, just because:

"That's what life's all about: laughing and loving each other. Knowing that people aren't really gone when they die. We have all the good memories to sustain us till we see them again",.

• Love 1

"I've never been happier in my life. Really. I haven't".

"You're being stubborn. And foolish, and inconsiderate, and you can mend your own shirt".

"I call him Harve. He calls me......Eliza Jane".

Edited by sgittinger
  • Love 1

"Remember  me with smiles and laughter, for that is how I will remember you all.  If you can only remember me with tears, then don't remember me at all."

Caroline:  "I'll be working for Nellie.  It's not the same."

Charles:  "Besides a few pounds, there's no difference."

• Love 1

From that same episode, camom--when Laura says that Pa wouldn't like Carolyn working for Nellie she says, "Well, sometimes what we like and what we have to do are two different things."  I use that one on my kids alllllll the time.  Especially when they're whining about something.

Yep. And I always thought Lucy Lee Flippin deserved at least an Emmy nomination just for her delivery of that line. Completely heartbreaking.

I agree. She was wonderful in those episodes. The scene in the restaurant was heartbreaking as well.

• Love 2

I'm pretty sure I read or heard somewhere once that Michael Landon, who wrote and directed that episode ("Laura Ingalls Wilder, Part 2") intentionally wrote that storyline for Lucy Lee Flippin because he wanted her to have a chance to show her abilities and possibly get an Emmy nomination.  I've searched the web but can't find that anywhere, so I can't verify where I got that from.  But I do know he did the same thing for Karen Grassle in a much earlier season (the episode where her leg gets infected and she tried to cut it off in her delirium).  It didn't work in either case (in terms of Emmy nominations) but it was nice that he was generous enough to want to give these actresses a showcase.

• Love 2

I'm pretty sure I read or heard somewhere once that Michael Landon, who wrote and directed that episode ("Laura Ingalls Wilder, Part 2") intentionally wrote that storyline for Lucy Lee Flippin because he wanted her to have a chance to show her abilities and possibly get an Emmy nomination. I've searched the web but can't find that anywhere, so I can't verify where I got that from. But I do know he did the same thing for Karen Grassle in a much earlier season (the episode where her leg gets infected and she tried to cut it off in her delirium). It didn't work in either case (in terms of Emmy nominations) but it was nice that he was generous enough to want to give these actresses a showcase.

I read that as well about Lucy Lee Flippen but not about Karen Grassle. I nominate Lucy Lee. Was not moved by Karen Grassle in the leg saga or any other episode featuring "Ma".

The only time that worked for LHoP was when MSA was nominated for Actress Most Likely Not To Ennunciate ("Mline? I'm going mline?")

In a similar vein, I think ML wrote The Godsister to give the Greenbush twins a chance to show they had a brain. Sadly, that attempt too was thwarted.

And...back to the thread topic: "ALYSSA! ALYSSA!"

• Love 1

"They's not pups, son....they's wolves."  Every time I see a coyote in the neighborhood, I think of that one.

I'd like to submit two quotes from other shows about LHOTP:

From WKRP in Cincinnati:  "We only watch good, wholesome family shows.  Like Little House on the Prairie.  It's about blind children and every week someone dies in a fire or from a horrible disease."

From Glee!:  "You'll be shedding more tears than Michael Landon Little House on the Prairie during  sweeps week."

• Love 4

I'm pretty sure I read or heard somewhere once that Michael Landon, who wrote and directed that episode ("Laura Ingalls Wilder, Part 2") intentionally wrote that storyline for Lucy Lee Flippin because he wanted her to have a chance to show her abilities and possibly get an Emmy nomination.  I've searched the web but can't find that anywhere, so I can't verify where I got that from.  But I do know he did the same thing for Karen Grassle in a much earlier season (the episode where her leg gets infected and she tried to cut it off in her delirium).  It didn't work in either case (in terms of Emmy nominations) but it was nice that he was generous enough to want to give these actresses a showcase.

See, I always thought the one that was written specifically for Karen's Emmy chances was a boring episode where Ma is away from home nursing sick folks.  I think I've only seen this one a couple of times, and it's been a good long while, so forgive me for being so vague.  It's one of those ones that you turn off the instant you realize how boring it is - one where it's always dark and drab and people are lying around moaning, and there's no one else in the episode that you care about.  I went off to search an episode guide and it's called "A Faraway Cry." 

Maybe he tried to get her that Emmy more than once.  I like Ma, though - I always thought that Karen G. was great in the role, and she always had this gentle wisdom about her without being too serious (like Book Ma). 

I'm trying really hard to come up with a quote - can't think of a single one that hasn't already been taken.

• Love 1

The episode where Johnny Johnson tags along to the big exciting metropolis of Mankato ("To See the World") has an oft-repeated line that makes me giggle to myself every time, particularly when Johnny and Mr. Edwards repeat Miss Mimi's utterances about her "maw and papa-paw."

Speaking of this episode, I noticed that there are a lot of extremely heavy-handed and hilarious musical cues from the baton of David Rose.  I think we need to start a thread just on that - anybody got any ideas for a good thread title? 

Edited by Creeper Jen
  • Love 2
charlieboo, I love that quote and use it all the time, too! Although I recall it as, "Sorry don't get the stumps out, son." Although that's a stupid episode that I avoid, so I'm most likely wrong.
(edited)

I recognize all these quotes except the "stumps" one. Which episode was that?

The kids have to do a family tree assignment at school.  Instead of working on it, Albert and his tertiary friend go fishing, where TF tells Albert he's lucky he doesn't have to do one because he's a bastard, Albert takes exception to TF's choice of words, and they are wrestling in the creek when TF's dad comes to yell at him because he was supposed to be home working in the field, pulling stumps (TRUE!).  Then there's a bunch of crap about Albert getting adopted and nobody cares.

Edited by jird

When Charles objects to Caroline working for Nellie, he says he won't have her working for "that woman" (meaning Harriet).  Caroline says she wouldn't be working for her, but for Nellie:

Charles:  Well, apart from a few pounds, what's the difference?