Type keyword(s) to search

7 Little Johnstons - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I really like this family and the show.  The parents seem to realize what is inappropriate and call their kids out on it.  I appreciate that.   

I'm looking forward to seeing the renovations. 

I'm not a long time viewer.  Anyone know what age the adopted children were when adopted? 

• Love 1
On 11/1/2018 at 11:05 AM, ShaNaeNae said:

I wouldn't say she has issues without knowing anything.  That's pretty assumptive without having anything to base it on.  I think she just has a case of RBF.  They've said she's the one that seems to get in trouble the most, but I wouldn't go as far as to say she has issues.  She was adopted at 1, so not much time to have issues from being in the orphanage.  

At first I was watching thinking, "ohhh girls, don't break that.  Don't mess that up. Don't fall."  Then I thought, I did the same shit as a teenager.  Hell, my best friend and I would go to fancy hotels and pretend we were guests so we could go swimming in the nice pools at hotels.

I noticed that too.  They were playing a jelly bean game or something and it was in the living room from last night. 

Elizabeth is getting so pretty.  Shame about her boyfriend, he seemed like a nice guy last season.  Break ups are hard, especially your first.  

Glad they're back.  Have always liked this family. 

I am so confused! I always thought that Anna was their natural daughter and Elizabeth was adopted from Russia.  Guess I've been wrong.

On 11/2/2018 at 12:29 PM, ChiCricket said:

Not if it was a repo, and sold as is. (just guessing)

Laws differ state to state. I live in Arizona. A house was left to me recently. It's in an area we are not interested living in so we're going to sell it. Realtor told us that we are not held to the same disclosure requirements since we have never lived in the home. 

I loved the way Alex overcame his fear of the bees while visions of ice cream danced in his head! (Christmas commercials are already getting to me!). 

• Love 2

So is the thing about local honey and allergies true? I never had to deal with allergies when I was younger but probably the past 10 years they seem to get worse and worse every year. I will eat honey every day if it makes them go away!

44 minutes ago, alegtostandon said:

I am so confused! I always thought that Anna was their natural daughter and Elizabeth was adopted from Russia.  Guess I've been wrong.

Easy to be confused since Elizabeth is larger than anyone in her family and I don't think she really looks like either of her parents whereas her brother strongly resembles their dad when he was younger. 

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, gunderda said:

So is the thing about local honey and allergies true? I never had to deal with allergies when I was younger but probably the past 10 years they seem to get worse and worse every year. I will eat honey every day if it makes them go away!

Easy to be confused since Elizabeth is larger than anyone in her family and I don't think she really looks like either of her parents whereas her brother strongly resembles their dad when he was younger. 

I've watched the show from the beginning and knew Anna was adopted.  There are different forms of dwarfism.  IMO, Jonah and Elizabeth have the same kind as their parents.  I also think Elizabeth looks a lot like Trent, but without the protruding  teeth.  There's a name for the condition of the extended forehead, but I don't know what it is.  The little person on the show call "Little People on the Prairie" or something like that, explained that kind of dwarfism and he mentioned the forehead.  Anna doesn't have the thick trunk like the others, which is another trait of their form of dwarfism.  I haven't researched it or anything, I've just picked up info from watching TV shows starring little people.

• Love 1

All of the Johnstons are achondroplasia dwarves.

Achondroplasia is a genetic disorder that results in dwarfism. In those with the condition, the arms and legs are short, while the torso is typically of normal length. Those affected have an average adult height of 131 centimeters (4 ft 4 in) for males and 123 centimetres (4 ft) for females. Other features include an enlarged head and prominent forehead. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, gunderda said:

My husband swears by the honey, it has to be local though. He has terrible allergies and it does seem to help ease his symptoms.

• Useful 1

"I was amazed at the idea that there was ice cream in the freezer... and all 5 children and both parents left it there until Amber said they could have it." 

Not me..I think she is very mean to the kids with the exception of Alex, and that they are afraid of her. Plus Trent always talking his nasty sexual stuff in front of his young daughters makes me sick.  I think the kids do the majority of the cleaning and cooking in that house..when Amber told the oldest boy to take his nasty self and his dirty socks to his room last year on national TV, I lost all respect for her period. Some keep saying what great parents they are..I just do not see it at all.

• Love 5

The timeline on this show seems totally screwy. The "first" night that they stayed in the new house all the kids slept downstairs because Amber said that the carpets upstairs had been cleaned and were still damp. Now we see the carpets and they look very dirty - huge stains and all. Also, they were doing construction and getting drywall dust and dirt all over the carpets. Seems kind of dumb if they had just gotten the carpets cleaned.

Also, Alex acts like a little asshole. 

Edited by TipseyGirl
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, winsomeone said:

"I was amazed at the idea that there was ice cream in the freezer... and all 5 children and both parents left it there until Amber said they could have it." 

Not me..I think she is very mean to the kids with the exception of Alex, and that they are afraid of her. Plus Trent always talking his nasty sexual stuff in front of his young daughters makes me sick.  I think the kids do the majority of the cleaning and cooking in that house..when Amber told the oldest boy to take his nasty self and his dirty socks to his room last year on national TV, I lost all respect for her period. Some keep saying what great parents they are..I just do not see it at all.

I don't see any of that.  I don't see the kids afraid of Amber at all.  What have you seen that they've shown they're afraid of her? I think with 5 kids, everyone has to pitch in everywhere.  Especially if the older 3 are teenagers.  I think they are strict but not mean and the kids are so well behaved because of their parenting.  I do think Alex gets away with a little more, but I don't see anything to be especially concerned about.  I had to quit watching The Little Couple because I couldn't handle watching Bill and Jen let their kids do whatever they wanted with little to no discipline or consequences.  

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 10:44 AM, sATL said:

2) I saw a scene when they were in a hotel for 15? days (???) and Anna went to the front desk to get supplies for the whole family - 

• (a) what happened to the family size of shampoo, etc. The hotel should have charged them for a gallon ziploc bag full of handouts.

I don't see anything wrong with that.  They come with the room for free and they literally cost the hotel pennies.  They really couldn't use a family size shampoo since there were 3 different rooms/showers.  After the cost of 3 rooms for 15 days, I doubt a bunch of little bottles of shampoo and conditioner is going to be a big concern of the hotel. 

• Love 13

Anna definitely has anger issues. Its written all over her face.  Alex- the more I watch this kid the more I can't stand him.  Whiny, Hungry all the time, very dramatic. Jonah seems detached. Emma is a sweet girl trying to find her way and Elizabeth is beautiful, sensitive, determined and very creative.  Trent and Amber talk up sex too much which is something these production companies push for because it makes for good tv they think!! As for their new home, the mold issue. They should legally go after the people who sold the property to them, the people knowingly had black mold on the property.  It makes me wonder what else is wrong with the place.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, TipseyGirl said:

The timeline on this show seems totally screwy. The "first" night that they stayed in the new house all the kids slept downstairs because Amber said that the carpets upstairs had been cleaned and were still damp. Now we see the carpets and they look very dirty - huge stains and all. Also, they were doing construction and getting drywall dust and dirt all over the carpets. Seems kind of dumb if they had just gotten the carpets cleaned.

Also, Alex acts like a little asshole. 

Because they allow it, especially Amber. 

• Love 7
16 hours ago, spacefly said:

My husband swears by the honey, it has to be local though. He has terrible allergies and it does seem to help ease his symptoms.

How much do you think you need to eat - and would it be on like a daily basis? 

3 minutes ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

Because they allow it, especially Amber. 

Well traditionally the youngest usually is the most spoiled.  And sometimes kids are just assholes and bratty no matter how hard the parents try. 

• Love 1

Something feels off with Amber this season. I can't put my finger on it but she doesn't seem happy. Even physically she looks so different from last season. She has put on a lot of weight, her face looks different, too. Maybe it's the weight gain, maybe she's stressed, maybe it's the kids getting older and more difficult to handle, maybe she's not getting along with Trent. I just know this isn't the Amber I remember.  

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Something feels off with Amber this season. I can't put my finger on it but she doesn't seem happy. Even physically she looks so different from last season. She has put on a lot of weight, her face looks different, too. Maybe it's the weight gain, maybe she's stressed, maybe it's the kids getting older and more difficult to handle, maybe she's not getting along with Trent. I just know this isn't the Amber I remember.  

Could be the weeks of living in a hotel. Could be purchasing a new, more expensive  home on 10 acres, finding out about the mold and other issues, besides the renovations they had already planned. Could be Elizabeth starting to date and then the break-up. Could be whatever caused Anna to switch schools.   Could be her back is still or again giving her issues.  Could be people thinking she needs to hear their opinion about every episode. Could be lots of other things that happened between seasons. 

• Love 10

REF. the hidden defects in their new home.  Laws vary from state to state, however, usually, a Realtor HAS to reveal their knowledge of any material facts that could impact the value of the home, like mold, a freeway being built nearby, or faulty wiring, etc. They must reveal  any material fact, regardless.  But, the homeowner can check boxes on a form for the potential buyer that says they have no comment one way or the other, so they don't have to reveal anything.  But, if there was actual fraud, like saying it was fine, when they knew it wasn't, I think that's different. But, Amber being a Broker, she knew what they were possibly getting into, if they didn't have an inspection.   Like someone upthread stated,  how did they get the mortgage company to approve the loan, without an inspection?  Hmmmm....I hope it's taken care of by now.  I suppose what we are seeing happened some time ago. 

The kids seem pretty okay to me.  I think that Anna has a wild streak.  She's just a spunky person and probably always will be.  Good thing she has parents to reign her in, but, her personality will likely always be a little out there.  She does make me laugh though. It's hard to believe that she's older than Elizabeth.  

Alex just seems very immature to me.  I realize he's the youngest, but, he really does seem quite immature.  

• Love 2

she knew what they were possibly getting into, if they didn't have an inspection.  

The previous owners obviously knew there was a problem (the towel or whatever it was stuffed in to  where the water damage was).  But it wouldn't have necessarily shown up in a typical inspection.  They only inspect what's visible, and the mold was hidden behind the bookcase.  (I had a broken sewer line shortly after purchasing my home, but it's not something typically looked at in a purchase inspection.)

I find it refreshing to see parents who hold their children accountable and insist on respect.  They have fun with their kids, but  they also have rules and make the children follow them.

• Love 11

Amber said this episode (or maybe previews from the next one) "IF we would have hired an inspector, they wouldn't have found that" so sounds like there was no inspection of the house before buying.  So if it was a foreclosure is there just no inspection at all or can a buyer hire their own?  

I have an old house (built in 1910) and I'm starting to think my house is in better shape than that fancy new-ish one!

I really hope after this episode that they can stop talking about the ex-boyfriend now... that poor kid doesn't deserve to be talked about every single episode.  And hopefully Elizabeth is able to improve her painting skills either in college or maybe take a class outside of school by a professional artist.  I know when I was in high school I thought I was doing amazing things.. and then I went to college for art and it was a complete game changer and realized all the stuff I did in school was pure crap. She'll be glad she sold all those pieces. They should have decent money that she can get rid of those crappy value priced canvases and thin canvas boards and cheap 'craft' acrylic paint and get the good stuff. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, gunderda said:

Amber said this episode (or maybe previews from the next one) "IF we would have hired an inspector, they wouldn't have found that" so sounds like there was no inspection of the house before buying.  So if it was a foreclosure is there just no inspection at all or can a buyer hire their own?  

I have an old house (built in 1910) and I'm starting to think my house is in better shape than that fancy new-ish one!

Trent said he did the inspection - said he took his time (4 1/2 hours).  He was really disappointed that he didn't catch these things, which prompted Amber to say the above.  Which I think tends to be true.  I think its kinda shitty if an owner knows something and they don't willingly disclose it - like the leak.  Or flat out lied about having something fixed.

I bought my house last year and used a highly recommended inspector.  Those inspections aren't cheap.  We've had to fix a couple things (rotted windowsills) that didn't come up in the inspection, but I guess if they are not physically touching every piece of the house they aren't going to catch everything.

• Love 7

I wonder if they could go after the previous owners for lying about it being fixed.  I think they said in the first episode that they were told it was fix but putting a towel back there kinda catches them in a lie. 

My friend just bought a newish house - it had one owner, they owned it for a year or two, sold it to a different builder who in turn built them a different house so that builder was the seller to my friend.  She found an itty bitty leak in the basement after one rainstorm and she found out that the prior owners had it fixed and didn't disclose it (although i'm not sure how the prior owners would disclose that to her since she didn't buy it from them) but she was so up in arms about it...turns out there was a still a warranty on it so it got fixed no problem but she was really mad.  I can't imagine her finding issues like the Johnston's had and not blowing a complete gasket. 

The things inspectors find kinda scare me because my house is so old I'm sure they'll find a bunch of ridiculous stuff and I'm going to have to say too bad so sad, it's a really freaking old house!

• Love 2
9 hours ago, gunderda said:

She found an itty bitty leak in the basement after one rainstorm and she found out that the prior owners had it fixed and didn't disclose it

In my state, you only have to disclose issues you have not fixed.   If it has been fixed and is no longer a problem, then it’s done and over with.  Now if they knew the fix didn’t take, then it wasn’t really fixed and should have been enclosed. 

12 hours ago, gunderda said:

I really hope after this episode that they can stop talking about the ex-boyfriend now... that poor kid doesn't deserve to be talked about every single episode

Me too. Yes, he should have told her in person that he just wanted to be friends and also date others.  He still doesn’t deserve this continued discussion and the producers sticking the same talking head interview in every episode. 

Elizabeth needs to move on, stop looking at his Facebook. In fact, he should block her since these episodes have started airing.  Her parents seem really grounded and they should be telling her that high school relationships rarely survive high school, so this break-up us a normal event- and won’t be the last. 

The art name labels should have been done earlier and  just brought to the show to hang. The punch could have been done earlier too and brought in jugs to pour into the punch bowl.   Why didn’t the art teacher help them?

i really couldn’t fault Jonah asking his mom to shush. He didn’t say Shut up, or yell.  He was listening to Trent and Amber started talking over Trent. Yes, Trent was saying something similar to what Amher had already thought. But still, Jonah can’t listen to two people at once.   

And Amber, technically, Jonah is an adult not a kid. He’s 18.  You got to start letting him call some shots about his own life even though you want him to commute to school for the next two years while living at home. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 2

Alex constant crying and whining is unbearable to watch and it has just gotten worse, you could tell he’s a smart kid very vocal smart aleck. I don’t know why his mom baby him so, maybe because he has the most health problems i don’t know but I do feel like Amber herself needs therapy she has issues that she needs to deal with, she’s overpowering and controlling and Trent bless his soul just enables that behavior. Amber nitpicks every little thing. Doesn’t seem to support any of her kids choices if it’s not her ownes. like when Anna was trying to help her mom with makeup you can tell Anna likes and practices it and Amber was so not with it, it’s just makeup lady dang. Family/individual therapy would help them all.

• Love 1

Yah cold hearted 

Elizabeth went through a breakup 2 years is a long time (and not just because their in HS) Amber just dismissing Elizabeth’s feelings like that “get over it” mentality. That shit hurts, let her deal with it. Amber said it herself she’s never been through a breakup so she doesn’t know how it feels. 

• Love 5

Hi All, brand new here, and have just started watching 7LJ the last few weeks (need to binge-watch to catch up!).  Love this very REAL, no-nonsense happy family, raising great kids with RULES, discipline, and love!  

All the talk about Anna, and I can't help wondering if she might have ADD/AdHd?  I say this because our daughter does (dx'd at 7, & meds)  Our daughter is 15... responsible, kind and thoughtful, very creative, an A-student in high school, and wonderful with kids and animals.  Having said this, when not on her meds, she can be impulsive, rambunctuous, sneaky (lots of fibs), pesty to her brother, and she can definitely test my patience!  The scene with the sleeping bag slumber party in the new house and Anna acting up/driving her siblings nuts was SOOOOooo like our daughter could act!  There have been a few snippets where her actions scream ADD and I think "C'mon, focus, girl! Behave!"

Just to add, with Elizabeth and her beautiful artwork... our daughter also has the love of drawing.  She did this sketch of our dog for her Art class last year in Grade 9

2018-05-11 10.48.46.jpg

• Love 16
13 hours ago, Lovelylv said:

Alex constant crying and whining is unbearable to watch and it has just gotten worse, you could tell he’s a smart kid very vocal smart aleck. I don’t know why his mom baby him so, maybe because he has the most health problems i don’t know but I do feel like Amber herself needs therapy she has issues that she needs to deal with, she’s overpowering and controlling and Trent bless his soul just enables that behavior. Amber nitpicks every little thing. Doesn’t seem to support any of her kids choices if it’s not her ownes. like when Anna was trying to help her mom with makeup you can tell Anna likes and practices it and Amber was so not with it, it’s just makeup lady dang. Family/individual therapy would help them all.

I agree that Amber is really overbearing to the point of being really annoying. She just seems really bossy all the time. 

• Love 3

The art show episode was ridiculous. They were so disorganized. Elizabeth should have had all her art done days ahead, as well as the labels for the artwork. 

I don't know why I watch this show, I don't like the parents or Alex at all, the other kids I can tolerate. 

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, Mollysmom said:

The art show episode was ridiculous. They were so disorganized. Elizabeth should have had all her art done days ahead, as well as the labels for the artwork. 

I don't know why I watch this show, I don't like the parents or Alex at all, the other kids I can tolerate. 

Lol I said the same thing 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Mollysmom said:

My thoughts exactly! I hate to dislike a kid that I don't even know but I've made an exception with Alex.....his parents have made him a very unlikable person. I'm so over the break-up too, and when Elizabeth said James had "moved on"  with an average size girl and she felt like the break up had been because she was a dwarf. I don't think there's a huge dwarf population to choose from so quit trying to make it something that it's not, he dated you for 2 years, he had that one figured out long ago. & what's the deal with making everybody leave the house so you can paint in peace & quiet? I'm sure she has an air conditioned bed room to paint in, but lets make all the kids get out of the pool so she can paint....both parents show favoritism with some of the kids and don't even hide it.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Mollysmom said:

It bugged me that she was just trying to crank out artwork for this thing. It just makes art so inauthentic when you're doing it just so you can have mass quantities.  And we saw her attempting a 'dirty pour' painting in one episode - if she's able to do those then she should have had LOTS of those. they turn out really cool if you know what  you're doing.  It's something I want to start trying. 

• Love 5

I wonder if they brought a foreclosure ? Lots of different rules as to what has to be disclosed or not. Either way, the house from the outside looks nice, I would like to see more interior to get a feel of the layout. I am glad these kids are being raised right ( like the Kleins ) to be hardworking and smart individuals. Its nice to see little people aspire to be something other than some sidekick dancer or twerker making a living ( looking at some of the little women shows )  

• Love 1
6 hours ago, gunderda said:

It bugged me that she was just trying to crank out artwork for this thing. It just makes art so inauthentic when you're doing it just so you can have mass quantities.  And we saw her attempting a 'dirty pour' painting in one episode - if she's able to do those then she should have had LOTS of those. they turn out really cool if you know what  you're doing.  It's something I wn ant to start trying. 

Yeah, a lot of her art looked like she just slapped it together. Speaking of the "dirty pour" art, I just bought everything to learn how to do this. Until now, I've just done painting of objects, but I love the abstractness of paint pouring. 

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, Mollysmom said:

Yeah, a lot of her art looked like she just slapped it together. Speaking of the "dirty pour" art, I just bought everything to learn how to do this. Until now, I've just done painting of objects, but I love the abstractness of paint pouring. 

The stuff you learn on PTV. Never heard of dirty pour art before. Now after googling it, I think even *I* could do it. ?

rps20181115_225146.jpg

• Love 1

Have you noticed that this family shows very little affection for each other?  Especially the parents toward the children.  There was a little bit of affection shown when Trent took his daughter to the father/daughter dance, but even that seemed forced.  It's almost like the parents don't even like their kids.  No hugging, no kisses on the forehead, no arm around the shoulder - nothing.  But let a kid do something they perceive is disrespectful - oh my gosh - Amber turns into Mrs. Hyde!

The show where Amber allowed Anna to do her hair and make-up for the ad was the perfect vehicle to show her daughter some love.  Instead Amber acted like Anna fussing over her was getting on her nerves.  It feels like she "tolerates" her children for the sake of being on TV (a.k.a. MONEY!!).

I thought it was sweet when all the kids (except Anna) piled into their parents bedroom the first night in the new house with sleeping bags.  But again, Amber made some crack about it being a good thing she and Trent weren't being amorous when the kids burst in.  

I am really not liking the parents this season.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Evagirl said:

Have you noticed that this family shows very little affection for each other?  Especially the parents toward the children.  There was a little bit of affection shown when Trent took his daughter to the father/daughter dance, but even that seemed forced.  It's almost like the parents don't even like their kids.  No hugging, no kisses on the forehead, no arm around the shoulder - nothing.  But let a kid do something they perceive is disrespectful - oh my gosh - Amber turns into Mrs. Hyde!

The show where Amber allowed Anna to do her hair and make-up for the ad was the perfect vehicle to show her daughter some love.  Instead Amber acted like Anna fussing over her was getting on her nerves.  It feels like she "tolerates" her children for the sake of being on TV (a.k.a. MONEY!!).

I thought it was sweet when all the kids (except Anna) piled into their parents bedroom the first night in the new house with sleeping bags.  But again, Amber made some crack about it being a good thing she and Trent weren't being amorous when the kids burst in.  

I am really not liking the parents this season.

I think that is why I don't like them very much. They are a lot like my parents - unaffectionate, but know how to tell you what to do, when and how to do it. Not very nurturing or loving. 

• Love 6

I've been watching some of the reruns, on the show where Anna is coming home from a dr appointment, she has to stay home while everyone else goes to the football game, which I totally understand. Amber makes a home video of herself in the hospital crying because Anna has had some problems and has had to stay longer than they expected. She gloats about being the parent that stays "the whole time one of the kids is in the hospital" while Trent takes care of the ones at home. She does not do this out of love, she does it because she thinks it makes her look good. When they go to the game, they are up on the top bleacher with Trent's sister, a friend sits beside them and ask if Anna is home, she answers the lady with a smirk and shakes her head yes. No wonder Anna has issues. They are quick to point out Anna's faults and failures, but just recently Elizabeth was talking about the breakup and how she just couldn't accept him "needing some time/space" so she starts texting him, repeatedly....Amber says she takes her phone but is quick to say "she was in no trouble" my thought was she was harassing him and was about to cross a line with that. Not that she meant to, shes a kid, I just saw a difference in the parenting (or lack thereof) with the 2 girls. I wonder time and time again why I watch this lol.

• Love 1

In one of the THs, Amber made a comment about how they do not modify their homes to more comfortably accept their height.  She said it was because things are average height in the real world and the kids need to learn how to adapt to an average-size world.

I thought about what she said for a while and even agreed with her for a hot minute.  Then I remembered the Roloffs and the Kleins who both had their kitchens modified to accommodate little people.  If you can afford to do this, I think it's great.  The kids will learn to adapt to an average-size world every time they go to school, go the mall, GO anywhere.  But how many times are they going to be tasked with cooking in somebody else's kitchen and getting things out of somebody else's cabinets?  It just makes good sense to at least have the kitchen semi-modified for little people.  I can see not doing anything with appliances, but cabinets - yes indeed.  Even in the Kleins' THs. I've noticed they sit in chairs made for little bodies.  When the Johnstons sit on the sofa with their feet sticking straight out, I focus on just how small they are instead of what they're saying.  If you know you're going to stay in the home, I would even have the bathrooms modified.  Sinks lowered, shower facets lowered, etc.  There's nothing wrong with making yourself comfortable in your own home.  It should be a place where when you walk in the door and just be "you", instead of a little person having to stand on stools to brush your teeth, look in the mirror over the sink, get something out of the cabinet etc.  Can I please sit in one chair in this house where my feet actually touch the floor, even if it's a kiddie chair?!!

I don't know, maybe I'm reading more into this than I should.  

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Evagirl said:

In one of the THs, Amber made a comment about how they do not modify their homes to more comfortably accept their height.  She said it was because things are average height in the real world and the kids need to learn how to adapt to an average-size world.

I thought about what she said for a while and even agreed with her for a hot minute.  Then I remembered the Roloffs and the Kleins who both had their kitchens modified to accommodate little people.  If you can afford to do this, I think it's great.  The kids will learn to adapt to an average-size world every time they go to school, go the mall, GO anywhere.  But how many times are they going to be tasked with cooking in somebody else's kitchen and getting things out of somebody else's cabinets?  It just makes good sense to at least have the kitchen semi-modified for little people.  I can see not doing anything with appliances, but cabinets - yes indeed.  Even in the Kleins' THs. I've noticed they sit in chairs made for little bodies.  When the Johnstons sit on the sofa with their feet sticking straight out, I focus on just how small they are instead of what they're saying.  If you know you're going to stay in the home, I would even have the bathrooms modified.  Sinks lowered, shower facets lowered, etc.  There's nothing wrong with making yourself comfortable in your own home.  It should be a place where when you walk in the door and just be "you", instead of a little person having to stand on stools to brush your teeth, look in the mirror over the sink, get something out of the cabinet etc.  Can I please sit in one chair in this house where my feet actually touch the floor, even if it's a kiddie chair?!!

I don't know, maybe I'm reading more into this than I should.  

If they don't want to modify their house that's their decision.  Ultimately each family has to decide for themselves what they want to do.  One decision is not better than the other.  They are not tougher because they didn't modify their house.

Also, at least with the Kleins, Bill and Jen don't have the same dwarfism as the Johnstons.  Jen is tiny and was not able to carry a baby.  They tried, but I remember her mom was very worried about her trying to get pregnant.  Jen's body type looks nothing like Amber or Amy Roloff.

My personal opinion is if you can afford it, why not?

• Love 3
3 hours ago, DkNNy79 said:

If they don't want to modify their house that's their decision.  Ultimately each family has to decide for themselves what they want to do.  One decision is not better than the other.  They are not tougher because they didn't modify their house.

Also, at least with the Kleins, Bill and Jen don't have the same dwarfism as the Johnstons.  Jen is tiny and was not able to carry a baby.  They tried, but I remember her mom was very worried about her trying to get pregnant.  Jen's body type looks nothing like Amber or Amy Roloff.

My personal opinion is if you can afford it, why not?

When I did a whole house renovation a few years ago, I remodeled everything and had upper cupboards lowered a few inches, not so much that it would look weird, but so I can atleast reach the 2nd shelf if I stretch. I also had a peninsula put in between the kitchen and living room, and used an upper cupboard as support for it so it ended up being table height for me. I do a lot of food prep there because it is a shorter counter.  Also had a "comfort height" toilet put in because of my disability, it is hard to get up off of the shorter, normal ones. I also opted to have a shorter vanity. A lot of them now come a lot taller, but I got a shorter one because again, it helps when standing at the sink. I"m only about 5' tall. I agree that things shouldn't be so difficult in your own home. 

One thing also that this made me think of is how they always do their own construction work on their houses. I've seen some instances where it was probably not a good idea for them to do that just because they are so small. I'm all for doing everything you can by yourself if you are disabled, but there is a line where you can't do something without jeopardizing your safety and they sometimes cross that I think just so they can say "see, we can do EVERYTHING!". Occasionally you have to admit you can't do something or need help. 

• Love 2

I expect that Trent and Amber have not been able to afford to modify the houses until now. They had 2 kids, one of which was in the NICU for weeks. They then adopted 3 and had to pay huge foreign adoption fees etc. Trent is a grounds supervisor, Amber stayed home until recently. There is nothing wrong with any of that- but the money might have gone to other needs than remodeling the home for their height.  Plus,  a home designed for short people is harder to sell. None of these 7 are nearly as short as Jen.  They all seem a lot healthier than Matt Roloff, etc. Functioning in an average size world might be relatively easier on the Johnston’s.

• Love 3

What comes to mind when speaking about the modification that should or should not be done to the house is Bill and Jen, they modified their home just how they wanted to and why shouldn’t they more power to them. I saw the episode were they are moving to a new home and they brought in a contractor because they have to change all the modifications they did to the home that’s a lot of money which they most definitely have. if the Johnston’s don’t want to go down that road they shouldn’t have to. 

• Love 5
On 11/7/2018 at 10:11 AM, gunderda said:

I think Anna looks just like the dad & older brother.

On 11/7/2018 at 3:03 PM, Mom2twoNonna2one said:

I think Elizabeth looks more like Amber this season. She really is beautiful. Jonah is the image of Trent.

Elizabeth is absolutely gorgeous.  She has beautiful hair and skin.

On 11/14/2018 at 11:50 PM, 4ofUs said:

Hi All, brand new here, and have just started watching 7LJ the last few weeks (need to binge-watch to catch up!).  Love this very REAL, no-nonsense happy family, raising great kids with RULES, discipline, and love!  

All the talk about Anna, and I can't help wondering if she might have ADD/AdHd?  I say this because our daughter does (dx'd at 7, & meds)  Our daughter is 15... responsible, kind and thoughtful, very creative, an A-student in high school, and wonderful with kids and animals.  Having said this, when not on her meds, she can be impulsive, rambunctuous, sneaky (lots of fibs), pesty to her brother, and she can definitely test my patience!  The scene with the sleeping bag slumber party in the new house and Anna acting up/driving her siblings nuts was SOOOOooo like our daughter could act!  There have been a few snippets where her actions scream ADD and I think "C'mon, focus, girl! Behave!"

Just to add, with Elizabeth and her beautiful artwork... our daughter also has the love of drawing.  She did this sketch of our dog for her Art class last year in Grade 9

2018-05-11 10.48.46.jpg

4OFUS, I am very impressed with your daughters talent! 

On 11/15/2018 at 10:35 AM, Mollysmom said:

I could not believe Elizabeth was trying to finish up paintings on the display tables right before the show.

I hope Grandma Johnston did not put that fork back into the crockpot after eating the meatball!

Did I understand Mother Johnston saying all of the kids were working at the No-Kill Shelter to help Anna, fulfill her community service?

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Lovelylv said:

What comes to mind when speaking about the modification that should or should not be done to the house is Bill and Jen, they modified their home just how they wanted to and why shouldn’t they more power to them. I saw the episode were they are moving to a new home and they brought in a contractor because they have to change all the modifications they did to the home that’s a lot of money which they most definitely have. if the Johnston’s don’t want to go down that road they shouldn’t have to. 

In the last episode I just watched, the Johnstons just had a small toilet installed.  :) 

Did I understand Mother Johnston saying all of the kids were working at the No-Kill Shelter to help Anna, fulfill her community service?

Yes, but I believe she also said that the school she now goes to has a community service requirement.  

• Love 2
5 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

I thought that was The Little Couple? :)

Both did.  This was the first one for the Johnstons and they talked about being able to put their feet on the floor when they were sitting on it.  Then, Alex stands in front of it as if he's peeing.

• Love 2

Amber is so damn annoying. It seems like she is always in a bad mood. She's constantly barking orders, hovering over people and just putting the mood down everywhere she goes. She constantly has a stank attitude. Everyone walks on eggshells around her. She is just not a pleasant person. 

Alex annoys me also. He's way too old to be constantly crying everytime he doesn't get his way. Amber obviously favors him the most, and everyone is sick of his shit. 

• Love 10
10 hours ago, readheaded said:

Both did.  This was the first one for the Johnstons and they talked about being able to put their feet on the floor when they were sitting on it.  Then, Alex stands in front of it as if he's peeing.

Somehow I missed that! Thanks :)

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 1