Type keyword(s) to search

The X-Files Revival: All Speculation Leads to the Truth

I'll admit that I'm pretty excited about it.

While I don't know if America is clamoring for another story about Mulder and Scully, I know that Kumail Nanjiani is, along with all the listeners to his podcast The X-Files Files.

Now they just need to hire Darin Morgan to write the thing.

So I heard some of the old TWOP peeps are here and after today's announcement, I needed to commiserate with y'all. But I come bearing gifts!

Chris Carter Interview about New Season

So what can we expect in the six episodes?

It’ll be honest to the characters, and what happened to them since the series ended and the second movie.

Will you personally be overseeing the scripts?

There are no scripts yet! But yes, I will be overseeing them, but with several people who have been working on the show over the years.

There’s a lot of X-Files mythology, will casual viewers be able to jump right in?

Yes. I like to think that anyone can enter this without much of a run up. That said, you don’t want to have to hit the hardcore fans over the head getting them up to speed.

You must have the basic arc worked out in your head already.

I do, actually. I know what I want to do, how I want it to lay out—the balance of mythology to standalone episodes. Even though none of us have had contracts, I’ve only had one since yesterday, the people that are going to be involved have been talking since the beginning of the year, so we have a clear idea of how this should be, or the best way we think this should be laid out.

Over the past 13 years, have Mulder and Scully lived on inside your own head?

Every day. Every day I turn on the radio in the morning, I hear an X-Files story, or I pick up the paper and I see an X-Files story. So yes, the Mulder and Scully in my head are always switched on.

If these episodes do well, will we see another X-Files movie?

I think… First things first, we just want to do six great episodes. We’re all primed to do that, there are great stories to tell, and now it’s just distilling it down to telling the best stories possible in the time we have.

• Love 1

I'm really not sure how to feel about this. The last two seasons and the last movie were such messes that I'm not exactly jumping with joy. Still, it's Gillian Anderson, I'll watch.

I don't like the mytharc vs. standalone talk. It's six episodes, tell a complex story over six episodes, don't do this back and forth. It makes no sense for a miniseries.

I just find it hysterical that this whole thing got started by what was basically a joke during the nerdist interview of Gillian Anderson. They basically wanted to see how far a rumor-tweet of a rebooted x-files could get, and that seems to be what sparked the whole idea.

Either that, or it was in the works beforehand, and Anderson used the nerdist guys to gin up publicity in a totally genius way.

• Love 2

I am so damn excited for this. Both about the show itself, especially since I read that they will be early seasons style, and because Jessica will be recapping over on Go Fug Yourself. I loved her old recaps.

• Love 5

Will you personally be overseeing the scripts?

There are no scripts yet! But yes, I will be overseeing them, but with several people who have been working on the show over the years.

Thanks, Chris :). That sounds like a pretty solid plan.

• Love 1

Jessica, one of the hilarious runners of Go Fug Yourself, used to recap The X-Files over at Television Without Pity back in the day. I believe it was still Mighty Big TV when those recaps started. Her recaps were great, and included insights from, and adventures of her Mulder & Scully action figures.

• Love 2

So the logical, adult part of my brain remembers the last few seasons and both movies and knows not to get my hopes up. Unfortunately that very small part of me can't seem to compete with the larger part of me that is still 12 years old, has loved this show for 22 years, and is currently trying not happy scream loud enough that my neighbors think I'm being ax murdered.

They don't understand the pride... the love.

Edited by Lindsey
  • Love 5

So wow, X-files coming back.  I loved the show back then, but for the life of me, I can't recall much of the last few seasons or the last movie.  Can anyone provide a general summary of them?  It will be interesting to see where they pick up.  Is Scully/Mulder's son around?  I can't recall what exactly happened with the baby.  If so, he'd been a teenager now, if they are sticking with the 13 year jump in the show.

• Love 1

The show never really had a proper ending in my mind (the arc about alien invasion has just... stopped and was never really dealt with), so I'm really glad to see it return for a bit. Although probably not as glad as with Twin Peaks, despite me loving X-Files way more - it's just had a longer, more fulfilling run and didn't end with a horrifying cliffhanger. 

God, when will they do a limited revival of Firefly? Now this is a show that deserves something. And no, a webshow with Alan Tudyk and Nathan Fillion doesn't cut it.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1

Their baby got adopted out in the last season and he wasn't in the second film, so I think that bit is forgotten.

I'm dubious about this news--much as I was dubious about Arrested Development coming back, and in that case I consider myself right--but I loved this show, and I will pretty much watch whatever X-Files property is made available to me.

Edited by HalcyonDays
Tagged season 9 spoiler
  • Love 1

So wow, X-files coming back.  I loved the show back then, but for the life of me, I can't recall much of the last few seasons or the last movie.  Can anyone provide a general summary of them?  It will be interesting to see where they pick up.  Is Scully/Mulder's son around?  I can't recall what exactly happened with the baby.  If so, he'd been a teenager now, if they are sticking with the 13 year jump in the show.

Scully gets knocked up so of course Mulder gets himself abducted and spends the entire first part of Season 8 flying around on a UFO getting his teeth and sinuses worked on.  Scully has lots of sad music following her around.  Aliens drop Mulder off because they're bored with him, or he's maybe a little dead.  He's dead!  No, he's alive!  Who da baby daddy?!?!  Is the baby alien?  Is the baby human?  No!  He's more human than human!  WTF.  RIP precious Krycek.  Monica sings whale songs at William's birth.  Mulder and Scully kiss at the very end of Season 8.  Fin.

Season 9 Mulder wanders off to protect Scully and William and goes MIA for basically the entire season.  Stupid Dearest Dana email.  Lots of stuff I don't remember. Jeffrey Spender injects William with magnetite to take away his more human than human superpowers.  Scully gives William up because she can't protect him or something.  Jump the Shark gave me an aneurysm (The Lone Gunmen ARE NOT DEAD!).  Mulder can't keep his nose out of stuff and gets himself arrested for snooping around and killing not really dead supersoldier Knowle Roooohrer.  Another poorly lit kiss.  Really long trial that drags anyone and everyone who was remotely important and not dead into the trial to take a trip down memory lane.  Mulder is found guilty and is going to die.  The whole gang springs him from the clink and Mulder and Scully go on the run where they go find Pops (CSM) hanging out in some old, I think Anasazi, Indian dwellings.  He gets blown up (I'll never really believe that CSM is dead.  How many times has he died now?!). 

IWTB... Scully and Mulder are shacking up in this little house not all that far from DC where somehow the law has never caught up to Mulder.  Scully gets Mulder involved in an FBI case b/c he's bored and turning into a bearded hermit.  FBI will clear his name and charges if he helps. Then Scully gets mad that Mulder is all into the case... yeah, because he's never done that before, Scully.  Scully threatens to not come home or something.  MOTW stuff. Scully googles how to perform surgery on this kid.  Skinman shows up to help save Mulder's ass (this may or may not have been the highlight of this movie for me).  Mulder and Scully kiss in broad daylight.  Then are hanging out in a rowboat in the tropics.  No William, but he does get a sad mention or so.

Edited by HalcyonDays
Spoiler tagged synopsis in case someone hasn't seen S8 or S9 or IWTB, but might actually want to - get on that, people!
  • Love 3

Hello Everyone! Just a quick note about this thread. Until the event series actually airs, this thread should be used to comment on how excited you guys are about the show, and also any spoiler-free speculations you have on what will happen during the episodes. Will be MoTW only? MoTW with some Mytharc, what do you think will happen?

This thread is intended as a SPOILER-FREE speculation thread for the event series.

Talk about what you think will happen, not what you KNOW will happen. For any discussions that contain any spoilers at all, please go to this thread: The X-Files Revival: The Truth is in Here.

We know that some of you XPhiles out there are going to be very vigilant about not wanting to be spoiled, so we are going to be very vigilant about moderating this thread. This is a once in a life-time series event for a popular and amazing cult show, so let's make it a great experience for everyone!  If you have questions or concerns, please PM the mods of this board: @AntiBeeSpray and/or @HalcyonDays.

Have fun and remember, ”ÉÍ 'AANÍÍGÓÓ'ÁHOOT'É”

• Love 2

queequag - I spoiler tagged your post, in case there are those out there who are re-invigorated about X-Files and who may haven't seen the final seasons yet (oh, like me) and may make an effort to watch it. Same with the movies. You never know. Same with your post, ErinW.

Thanks for the summary though and I don't care about being spoiled - I have the DVDs, but haven't made the effort for season's 8 or 9, so good to know what happened!

• Love 1

What I'd love is if Chris Carter could retcon the deaths of the Lone Gunmen, Krycek and CSM, so he can bring those characters back. And make sure Skinner's there too. Krycek, CSM and Skinner were at the heart of some of my favorite episodes of The X-Files (along with Mulder and Scully, of course, they're a given). And the Lone Gunmen always brought some wonderful humor and levity to otherwise dark and complex episodes. So... I would love to see all these actors return somehow.

Beyond that, my only big wish is that Darin Morgan and Vince Gilligan write the episodes. Theirs were some of my favorite episodes of the entire series. Especially Vince Gilligan's "Paper Hearts."

• Love 2

What I'd love is if Chris Carter could retcon the deaths of the Lone Gunmen, Krycek and CSM, so he can bring those characters back. And make sure Skinner's there too. Krycek, CSM and Skinner were at the heart of some of my favorite episodes of The X-Files (along with Mulder and Scully, of course, they're a given). And the Lone Gunmen always brought some wonderful humor and levity to otherwise dark and complex episodes. So... I would love to see all these actors return somehow.

Beyond that, my only big wish is that Darin Morgan and Vince Gilligan write the episodes. Theirs were some of my favorite episodes of the entire series. Especially Vince Gilligan's "Paper Hearts."

CSM imo can't really be retconned.

He was blown to bits in The Truth.

So unless he's in a flash back of sort or it's some sort of alien clone, I don't see how he could be brought back.

CSM imo can't really be retconned.  Spoiler So unless he's in a flash back of sort or it's some sort of alien clone, I don't see how he could be brought back.

LOL. Yeah, I know that. But I'm kind of hoping Chris Carter pretends the final seasons never happened, because (in my view) that's where the show really went off the rails.

P.S. While I applaud you not giving anything away (I don't often like to know spoiler news because I like to watch shows and be in the moment with what's happening rather than know ahead of time), I don't think you have to spoiler what happened to CSM, considering the show's been off the air for over 10 years now. The cat's out of the bag.  ;)

LOL. Yeah, I know that. But I'm kind of hoping Chris Carter pretends the final seasons never happened, because (in my view) that's where the show really went off the rails.

P.S. While I applaud you not giving anything away (I don't often like to know spoiler news because I like to watch shows and be in the moment with what's happening rather than know ahead of time), I don't think you have to spoiler what happened to CSM, considering the show's been off the air for over 10 years now. The cat's out of the bag.  ;)

I do that in regards to the end of s8, wish they would have left it there :(. M & S and William, a happy family :).

I know lol. I did that for really new fans of the show ;). In case they want to go in blind.

• Love 1

Things I want to see in this six-episode series:

1. Mulder & Scully both back at the FBI and packing heat (and maybe Mulder can drop his gun once for old-time's sake)

2. Scully doing autopsies, preferably in the maroon scrubs from the first movie 

3. M&S investigating together at least 85 percent of the time.  This may be my last chance to ever seen them, so I do not want this type of scene:

M: Why don't you see what you can find out from the lab?

S: While you do what?

M: <Ignores her as he walks away, to go do something adventurous for 15 minutes of screen time>

4. We should have a Mulder ditch for consistency, but it should also bite him in the ass.  A Scully ditch would be fun.

5. Flashlights

6. Skinner!

7. A slide show

8. William to be nothing more than a IWTB-style quick reference at most

9. Possibly-paranormal things, and a government that seeks to cover them up, but nothing so outlandish as alien super soldiers wandering around, warring factions of aliens, impending colonization, etc.

And most of all:

10. For the relationship to be left alone.  No coy teasing about its status.  No acting as if their inevitable disagreements are a threat to it.  No shooting/scoring their intimate moments from the mindset of a 12-year-old peeking around the corner, giggling because, OMG kissing.  And no turning them into adolescents who don't know who to be behave when together at work because they're sleeping together at home; they are the same fundamental people we saw on the small screen the first time around, so they shouldn't be written differently just because they are now 15 years into a romantic partnership as well. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 6

Word, word, word! Chris has had his fun. Now let the characters be GROWN UPS. 

William. I wouldn't mind seeing him around, as long as there's no teen drama/parental drama. 

Rest of the list hits the nail on the head!

• Love 1

I am so nervous, you guys, about the MSR thing. Like, logically, to make the story interesting, he'd have to break them up (or start the show with them broken up) and probably have them move closer together until they are back together by the end. But I SO don't want that. What are some alternative ideas? The only worse one I could think of, of course, is they start the show together and up apart or (gasp) dead. Which, obviously no one wants. Right? RIGHT?? Halp!

Like, logically, to make the story interesting, he'd have to break them up (or start the show with them broken up) and probably have them move closer together until they are back together by the end.

That's what I initially thought they'd do with IWTB, to have the MSR as a hook, but that turned out fine (in terms of the relationship, I mean; I know the rest of the film was crap).  But, yeah, needing to know what the status of their relationship is going to be is one of the reasons I'll be residing in the spoiler thread right up until air time.

• Love 1
Like, logically, to make the story interesting, he'd have to break them up (or start the show with them broken up) and probably have them move closer together until they are back together by the end.

I don't think that's true. The show never had much emphasize on their personal lives--we got glimpses of their outside work lives here and there by they were minimal--so I don't think it's that different now that Mulder and Scully are an established couple nor do I think it's any less interesting. 

Just...you know, show that they're living together, let us see them kiss a few times, and I think that will do the trick. (I'd suggest that a sex scene would keep people's interest, but Chris Carter's like some kind of puritan where sex is concerned so I know it's not gonna happen.)

• Love 3

But, Bastet, isn't that kind of what they did with IWTB? How Scully was all "I can't do this with you so I'mma sleep at the hospital for a few days"? They kind of went on a break. That's the only thing I can think of that would stop them from doing it in this series, because they kind of already did it before. 

I think I'll be right next to you in this spoiler section (and on tumblr and twitter, of course, lol) until the airing. I can't emotionally handle my ship being played with after so many years of imagining them happy together just living their lives. 

Personally, I think it would be far more interesting to actually portray a healthy long-term relationship for once...  

I don't think they'll try and break them up. Six episodes doesn't give them much time for a storyline like that IMO

• Love 1

Think of it this way: If he breaks them up (an actual break-up, not an "I'm not going to be around you while you're working this thing" style break), he has to get them back together.  And CC would rather drill screws into his toes than allow a love scene.  It's in his best interest to just let the relationship exist, rather than making a storyline of it. 

• Love 2

Here's my question, then, Hidebehind, do you think Chris Carter is *able* to write a long-term relationship well? Given his gimmicky track record when it comes to the ship?

I'm trying to figure out what I want out of this and more importantly what I don't want. So I guess it's this.

1. I want to resolve the William storyline.

2. I want M&S to solve cases TOGETHER, not apart.

3. I don't want Doggett and Reyes to be in it any more than necessary, i.e. to bring M&S into the X-Files world or be there to take over at the end.

4. Colonization.

5. No super soldiers or magnetite or whatever the crap seasons 8 and 9 mythology was about.

6. M&S still a couple and "fairly happy."

7. Banter/bickering like an old married couple

8. Scully with red hair (like, a little too red)

9. No Jealous!Scully or Jealous!Mulder, no flirting with other men/women, no pairing Mulder up with some rando while Scully is off doing her thing. No exes.

10. NO GOOGLING MEDICAL TERMS.

11. CSM, Krycek, et al to STAY DEAD, FFS.

12. I would like to see Scully come to Mulder's rescue for a change. I know it's happened before but in season 2 Scully was kidnapped like literally four times.

13. Skinner!

14. One really good kiss and/or shippy scene that I can play over and over, with good lighting, and that's it.

• Love 2

I don't think that's true. The show never had much emphasize on their personal lives--we got glimpses of their outside work lives here and there by they were minimal--so I don't think it's that different now that Mulder and Scully are an established couple nor do I think it's any less interesting. 

Just...you know, show that they're living together, let us see them kiss a few times, and I think that will do the trick. (I'd suggest that a sex scene would keep people's interest, but Chris Carter's like some kind of puritan where sex is concerned so I know it's not gonna happen.)

Yep. XD

Man, the puritan comment is so true lmao. Heck I was surprised to see he actually let M & S french kiss. Didn't think he'd go there ;).

Bets are open as to what we get this time >:).

Is there a GoFundMe for the lighting budget on this show?

Hopefully, along with the anti bee, hornet, wasp fund and the good angles fund.

Here's my question, then, Hidebehind, do you think Chris Carter is *able* to write a long-term relationship well? Given his gimmicky track record when it comes to the ship?

I'm trying to figure out what I want out of this and more importantly what I don't want. So I guess it's this.

1. I want to resolve the William storyline.

2. I want M&S to solve cases TOGETHER, not apart.

3. I don't want Doggett and Reyes to be in it any more than necessary, i.e. to bring M&S into the X-Files world or be there to take over at the end.

4. Colonization.

5. No super soldiers or magnetite or whatever the crap seasons 8 and 9 mythology was about.

6. M&S still a couple and "fairly happy."

7. Banter/bickering like an old married couple

8. Scully with red hair (like, a little too red)

9. No Jealous!Scully or Jealous!Mulder, no flirting with other men/women, no pairing Mulder up with some rando while Scully is off doing her thing. No exes.

10. NO GOOGLING MEDICAL TERMS.

11. CSM, Krycek, et al to STAY DEAD, FFS.

12. I would like to see Scully come to Mulder's rescue for a change. I know it's happened before but in season 2 Scully was kidnapped like literally four times.

13. Skinner!

14. One really good kiss and/or shippy scene that I can play over and over, with good lighting, and that's it.

Here, here.

9. No Diana Fowley or any kind of similar ones!

Making out would be cool. Some major flirting :).

I for one hope Chris is still as puritanical as he ever was. I have no desire to see Mulder and Scully's home life or any love scenes between them. A peck on the lips and maybe some flirting and that would be fine with me. If they bicker and argue I want it to be them challenging each other professionally and intellectually, not romantically. Not that I don't want them to be together in that way, because they belong together in every way, I'm just content with that part being off screen, which is one of the things I really appreciate about the show. Not being subjected to romance shit. Just put them to work, dammit.

You think there will be a lot of "Boo! Hiss!" from fans if their romantic relationship is on the back burner all hidden away a la season 6-7?

Edited by joelene
  • Love 2

I for one hope Chris is still as puritanical as he ever was. I have no desire to see Mulder and Scully's home life or any love scenes between them. A peck on the lips and maybe some flirting and that would be fine with me. If they bicker and argue I want it to be them challenging each other professionally and intellectually, not romantically. Not that I don't want them to be together in that way, because they belong together in every way, I'm just content with that part being off screen, which is one of the things I really appreciate about the show. Not being subjected to romance shit. Just put them to work, dammit.

You think there will be a lot of "Boo! Hiss!" from fans if their romantic relationship is on the back burner all hidden away a la season 6-7?

Lol. There's been more than enough of that tbh. I don't ever need to see a sex scene. But having things be so behind the scenes would be a damn shame too. A nice balance would be fine enough.

All work and NO play is boring ;). Let them have a bit of fun.

Flirty fun is allowed! Anything else is forbidden! ;)

I would laugh and laugh if they did one of those fade-to-black as M&S are about to kiss and/or jump into bed.

That would be funny XD.

Would a post sex snuggle and/or (actual) necking be out of the question? >:) I'd die of shippyness if that happened.

That would be funny XD.

Would a post sex snuggle and/or (actual) necking be out of the question? >:) I'd die of shippyness if that happened.

Maybe some post-coital conversation for, like, a minute. Light touching. Most definitely no tongue. There are spectres to research, people needin' to be saved from monsters they conjured, dark hallways to shine flashlights down. They ain't got time for neckin'!

Edited by joelene
  • Love 1