Type keyword(s) to search

The X-Files Revival: All Speculation Leads to the Truth

I'm just a little nervous they will kill off Scully or she literally becomes alien so Anderson doesn't ever have to come back to the show again. I know it's stupid, but the XFiles have always been a bit nuts.

They might make her an alien, but no way will they kill her off. I don't know anyone who'd watch this show without Scully.

I could watch without Milder. But not without Scully. There is nothing about that character that I don't adore, but find myself, on occasions wanting to hit Milder in the face with a shovel ;)

Sorry my autocorrect hates Mulder and insists on changing his name!

Oh yeah. Even though we all like him fine, everyone I know could live without Mulder...including my eight-year-old niece. We play a child-friendly version of "f*ck, marry, kill" called "kiss, marry, send away." We always marry Scully and send Mulder away (or occasionally kiss him). It could be done...oh wait, it was! Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 1

I could watch without Milder. But not without Scully. There is nothing about that character that I don't adore, but find myself, on occasions wanting to hit Milder in the face with a shovel ;)

Sorry my autocorrect hates Mulder and insists on changing his name!

Aw, poor Mulder. Part of the reason I love the character so is that he can be so infuriating.  I love Scully, too, but to me, the show is the both of them. Besides, seasons 8 and 9 showed that even the show with just Scully is really still about the both of them.

I'm watching season 8 right now. I think I must have been emotionally absent at the time because I can't remember most of the Mulder-less eps which is nice because I feel like I'm seeing brand new ones. I also seem to have a new appreciation for Doggett which I didn't have before. Thoroughly enjoying the season....well except the maggoty worm in Scully's spine. That made me almost lose my recently eaten dinner lol

• Love 2

Aw I liked Doggett and wish he'd been brought back this time along with Reyes. I liked a lot of Season 8, Vienen with Mulder/Doggett was good and I even liked Alone.

But it is funny that in almost every season finale-Mulder and Scully are apart for most of the show.

Like I said, I don't have much of a problem with a spin off that takes place within The X-Files universe (since I didn't really watch those episodes, I don't really have any strong opinions about John Doggett, except that I generally enjoy Robert Patrick, so I am sure he was fine).  I am not even saying that seasons 8 and 9 were bad, just that they weren't The X-Files to me. TXF = M&S, according to my math.

Somehow in fanfic, we moved from Society Balls to AU universes where the characters go to high school together. LOL. Though I could see Skinner as the gruff but kind hearted principal. (Did I really say that?)

Otherwise-damn it's another finale and I don't want Mulder and Scully to leave, no comment on the Young Turks.  But I love Mitch P. on Twitter! After the show's twitter put out an app where you can write in your name to say you are watching the finale, he put "Skinner is watching!" Aww. Hoping we get much more of the SkinMan tonight.

Is it too early to start speculating about season 11? Well, maybe speculating is the wrong term since there's nothing to go off of, but maybe we can start a discussion about what we hope to see?

For me, I'm hoping that they only have 3 episodes related to the mytharc. I'm super bored with the whole William storyline, and there's just no happy ending that will be believable in my opinion. Even if he's reunited with M&S, they're still strangers to him and they still missed out on raising him. My wildly unpopular opinion is that I would be more satisfied if they learn he died in some noble way. Deal with the emotional fallout from that. That would be something really meaty for the show to handle, and for David and Gillian to act, which I would love to see. 

For non-mytharc stuff, I just hope they're able to come up with some interesting cases. I thought season 10 had some cool ideas, but I think M&S spent too much time separately or interacting with guest characters that it didn't really feel like the old show. I used to have really strong feelings about the shipper stuff, but now I don't really care. I just want them to have their old dynamic back. They both seemed way too somber in season 10. Their playfulness is really the main reason why I liked the were-monster episode.

• Love 4
On 4/26/2017 at 5:09 PM, M.F. Luder said:

Is it too early to start speculating about season 11? Well, maybe speculating is the wrong term since there's nothing to go off of, but maybe we can start a discussion about what we hope to see?

For me, I'm hoping that they only have 3 episodes related to the mytharc. I'm super bored with the whole William storyline, and there's just no happy ending that will be believable in my opinion. Even if he's reunited with M&S, they're still strangers to him and they still missed out on raising him. My wildly unpopular opinion is that I would be more satisfied if they learn he died in some noble way. Deal with the emotional fallout from that. That would be something really meaty for the show to handle, and for David and Gillian to act, which I would love to see. 

For non-mytharc stuff, I just hope they're able to come up with some interesting cases. I thought season 10 had some cool ideas, but I think M&S spent too much time separately or interacting with guest characters that it didn't really feel like the old show. I used to have really strong feelings about the shipper stuff, but now I don't really care. I just want them to have their old dynamic back. They both seemed way too somber in season 10. Their playfulness is really the main reason why I liked the were-monster episode.

I think it would be kind of a cop out to kill William, so I hope they don't do that.  Plus, it just seems unlikely they would, given how much meaning they gave his conception, birth, adoption and aftermath through seasons 8 through 10.  But it would be nice to have some sort of resolution.  I don't mind William's existence, and I don't mind that they focused on him a lot in season 10 - that seemed very true to both characters - but with such build up, I hope that the resolution does include Mulder and Scully having peace of mind.

I'm in agreement with you on the mytharc number, though I wouldn't mind if it were only two.  In the original series, there were usually between 6 and 8 mytharc episodes - season premieres and finales, and then a couple of episodes in sweeps months - but that was when seasons were 22 episodes.   Since we're at 10, I'd be fine if the premiere and finales were mytharc eps but otherwise, they were doing MOTW episodes.  I do kind of wonder if they won't try as much as possible to make it more of an ensemble show.

Edited by eleanorofaquitaine
  • Love 2

Okay, I'm one of those who needs to see what happened to William. I did not like how the story was handled back in the day but he does exist and is important and it would be silly to pretend otherwise. That's one of the things that I liked about season 10 was that they gave some focus on how it has affected Mulder & Scully. They are middle aged now so of course they would be thinking of and wondering about him and how things could have been different. 

I have the very unpopular opinion of not really needing M/S to get back together romantically. However, I do want them working cases together, I do not like them being separated. I want to see them working cases with all of the baggage of their past and how it affects them now. That's the kind of thing I'm interested in. I didn't flat out hate the new agents, but I don't really want to see them back either. 

I need some resolution that I can live with on why they decided to have Monica be so out of character. As I've said before I don't think she'd throw in with CSM just to save her own ass. There better be more to it. Also I want Doggett back. He was a big part of the last two seasons and the fact that he didn't even get a mention chaps my ass. Also more Skinner. Well that's it for now, I may think of more later.

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

I think it would be kind of a cop out to kill William, so I hope they don't do that.  

Yeah, I know there's 0% chance that the show will kill off William, but I wish they would. It would be a cop out in the same way Samantha's fate was a cop out and William's adoption was a cop out, and not having a 2012 colonization was a cop out. I just hope that there is some sort of resolution with William this season, and he doesn't become the new Samantha. No clones, no false stories of growing up with CSM, no bread crumbs that lead to more lies. I think the fans are over that. But, I fear that CC has such an issue with offering any sense of finality with the show that he'll leave this as an open ended storyline that is never answered satisfactorily. 

10 minutes ago, festivus said:

I have the very unpopular opinion of not really needing M/S to get back together romantically. However, I do want them working cases together, I do not like them being separated. I want to see them working cases with all of the baggage of their past and how it affects them now. That's the kind of thing I'm interested in. I didn't flat out hate the new agents, but I don't really want to see them back either. 

I need some resolution that I can live with on why they decided to have Monica be so out of character. As I've said before I don't think she'd throw in with CSM just to save her own ass. There better be more to it. Also I want Doggett back. He was a big part of the last two seasons and the fact that he didn't even get a mention chaps my ass. Also more Skinner. Well that's it for now, I may think of more later.

I agree with you on M/S. I would love it if they did and it was actually done well and in character, but I do just enjoy their regular interactions while working together. I hope they give Scully some of her fight back. I like the version of her that Mulder had in his Amor Fati dream where she called him a coward for living a safe life with CSM while the world was destroyed. 

I've never really cared much about Reyes or Doggett except for how they relate to Scully. It was nice for Scully to have some friends. Monica saving her own ass with CSM doesn't really seem too much out of character to me in the sense that I don't think it's too much out of ANYONE'S character to try to save themselves when they're facing insurmountable odds. Everyone wants to survive. Mulder was tempted to do the same thing when Diana convinced him to go to the Air Force Base to get saved by the aliens (or whatever was happening in Two Fathers/One Son). It was Scully who made Mulder back out. 

3 minutes ago, M.F. Luder said:

I've never really cared much about Reyes or Doggett except for how they relate to Scully. It was nice for Scully to have some friends. Monica saving her own ass with CSM doesn't really seem too much out of character to me in the sense that I don't think it's too much out of ANYONE'S character to try to save themselves when they're facing insurmountable odds. Everyone wants to survive. Mulder was tempted to do the same thing when Diana convinced him to go to the Air Force Base to get saved by the aliens (or whatever was happening in Two Fathers/One Son). It was Scully who made Mulder back out. 

Honestly you're probably right about Monica and I never did care much for her character(although I still think she didn't quite work as a character in the X-Files, I like her better now). Anyway, I still think there has to be more to it. If not then it bores me. 

I freakin' love Doggett though. RP took what could have been a boring stock character and gave him so many layers. I don't even care if CC wants to decide that he died horribly somehow, I still want someone to at least mention him and where he's at now. I understand that RP couldn't be a part of the last season and it may be that way again but at least make a mention of Doggett for Odin's sake. 

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, festivus said:

I freakin' love Doggett though. RP took what could have been a boring stock character and gave him so many layers.

YES. I was all prepared to hate him when S8 rolled around, but damn.  He sucked me in, and he sucked me in hard.  

(And I'm ignoring how terribly dirty that sounds.  Heh.)

• Love 4

I hope the resolution of the William storyline is that it turns out he's safe and happy with his parents.  The greatest of the many sacrifices Mulder and Scully made was worth it, and they can move on (and I don't have to hear any more about the damn kid).

I, too, just want to see Mulder and Scully working together as the revival continues.  I don't care whether they are also sleeping/living together at the time, because they clearly love each other deeply and permanently.

As was true of every season, I'd like minimal mytharc.  So, bookend the season with mytharc episodes again, and make the rest MOTW. 

I'll be going into this the way I went into season ten: I hope nothing major pisses me off, and that there are some great M&S moments.  I got that, with the added bonus of the weremonster episode which immediately took its place in my top ten of the series, so I've honestly already forgotten most of what annoyed me about the revival.  I've never re-watched any of it other than the weremonster, so it wasn't great, but I'm not actively annoyed by it after the fact, so it wasn't bad. 

• Love 3

The one piece of the mythology that I always loved and would love to see more of is Scully's abduction and everything that came from it: cancer, infertility, ova being used for experiments, mind control chip in her neck. It's a compelling storyline that directly affects M&S's lives and it explains why they would still be dedicated to investigating the alien conspiracy after all these years of failure and personal loss. 

Scully is tied to this new mythology because she has alien DNA supposedly, but there's no conflict that arises from that. (As a side note, I don't really understand why Mulder doesn't also have alien DNA since he was also abducted and had some reason why he was still alive after being buried for months.) It would be interesting if they re-addressed the fact that Scully has a chip in her neck that simultaneously saves her from cancer but makes her vulnerable to mind control. There could be a cool parallel drawn about the time Scully joined a bunch of other people on a bridge where a UFO appeared and aliens killed everyone to the ending scene of season 10.

I don't know if CC will want to revisit this since he seems pretty set on developing a new mythology, but I think it would reward old viewers for building out the most pivotal storyline for Scully's character, and also give newer fans an understanding of why the conspiracy is so personal to M&S.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, M.F. Luder said:

It would be interesting if they re-addressed the fact that Scully has a chip in her neck that simultaneously saves her from cancer but makes her vulnerable to mind control.

That has always been such a fascinating - and fascinatingly unaddressed - plot point to me.  That would bother anyone, but someone as private and independent as Scully?  To me, that's a storyteller's wet dream, yet it's pretty much ignored. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

YES. I was all prepared to hate him when S8 rolled around, but damn.  He sucked me in, and he sucked me in hard.  

Me too. He still remains one of my very favorite TV characters. 

1 hour ago, Bastet said:
1 hour ago, M.F. Luder said:

It would be interesting if they re-addressed the fact that Scully has a chip in her neck that simultaneously saves her from cancer but makes her vulnerable to mind control.

That has always been such a fascinating - and fascinatingly unaddressed - plot point to me.  That would bother anyone, but someone as private and independent as Scully?  To me, that's a storyteller's wet dream, yet it's pretty much ignored. 

Word to that. Sorry I don't have more to add. :)

19 hours ago, M.F. Luder said:

Yeah, I know there's 0% chance that the show will kill off William, but I wish they would. It would be a cop out in the same way Samantha's fate was a cop out and William's adoption was a cop out, and not having a 2012 colonization was a cop out. I just hope that there is some sort of resolution with William this season, and he doesn't become the new Samantha. No clones, no false stories of growing up with CSM, no bread crumbs that lead to more lies. I think the fans are over that. But, I fear that CC has such an issue with offering any sense of finality with the show that he'll leave this as an open ended storyline that is never answered satisfactorily. 

Personally, I don't think Samantha's fate was a cop out.  (William's adoption definitely was, though). It may not have been the resolution that everyone liked but IMO, enough ground work had been laid for the explanation to have been plausible.  I ended up really liking Closure in my rewatch - yes, I was disappointed in the resolution when I watched it back in 2000 or whenever it was, but with time having gone by, I believe they actually did do both her and Mulder justice in revealing what happened to her and why.

That being said, it was an actual resolution, love it or hate it, and it's true that Carter doesn't seem to like those.  And in this case, I think it is important.  I am hard pressed to believe M&S will end up in some picket fence situation with the kid - who is now a teenager and likely will be 18 by the time the new episodes appear - but perhaps there will be some kind of relationship.  The focus on M&S's feelings towards him in season 10 didn't bother me because I thought it made sense for where the characters were.  I mean, please, Mulder spent most of his life trying to find his dead sister, it seems very unlikely that he wasn't going to obsess over his missing son.  And Scully went through hell and back not only to conceive him but to protect him once he was born.  To me, it would have been a real betrayal of both of them to not have them reflect on where he was and if he was okay, etc.  So I was good with it in season 10, but I would also like to know where he is and if we're going to do this, to have some interaction with Mulder and Scully.

19 hours ago, festivus said:

Honestly you're probably right about Monica and I never did care much for her character(although I still think she didn't quite work as a character in the X-Files, I like her better now). Anyway, I still think there has to be more to it. If not then it bores me. 

I freakin' love Doggett though. RP took what could have been a boring stock character and gave him so many layers. I don't even care if CC wants to decide that he died horribly somehow, I still want someone to at least mention him and where he's at now. I understand that RP couldn't be a part of the last season and it may be that way again but at least make a mention of Doggett for Odin's sake. 

I hadn't really seen Doggett before the rewatch but I ended up liking him. But if they are going to bring him back (which I suspect is entirely dependent on Robert Patrick, and I am not sure if he's indicated any interest), I would love to see him interact more with Mulder.  They were fun together in Vienen in part because they are so different. I doubt this is going to happen, though.

27 minutes ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

Personally, I don't think Samantha's fate was a cop out.  (William's adoption definitely was, though). It may not have been the resolution that everyone liked but IMO, enough ground work had been laid for the explanation to have been plausible.  I ended up really liking Closure in my rewatch - yes, I was disappointed in the resolution when I watched it back in 2000 or whenever it was, but with time having gone by, I believe they actually did do both her and Mulder justice in revealing what happened to her and why.

I've waxed poetic about it before, but I freaking loved the Samantha/Closure resolution.  Loved. It.

28 minutes ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

I hadn't really seen Doggett before the rewatch but I ended up liking him. But if they are going to bring him back (which I suspect is entirely dependent on Robert Patrick, and I am not sure if he's indicated any interest), I would love to see him interact more with Mulder.  They were fun together in Vienen in part because they are so different.

I loved them in Vienen, too.

• Love 1

It would be cool if they brought back Gibson Praise. He was supposedly the "key to everything", and he has alien DNA along with supernatural powers, so it would make sense that he's involved in the solution to the colonization problem somehow. Maybe he's been working with Doggett this whole time. It would be a nice way to tie in Doggett without actually having him appear on the show. 

I really don't remember all the details about him, but didn't he have some sort of psychic connection with the alien because of his DNA that allowed him to track its location? Maybe they could use this to try to track down William, who also might have a psychic connection with aliens because of his DNA and supernatural powers? I don't know if that would actually make sense, but it would be fitting for this show.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, M.F. Luder said:

It would be cool if they brought back Gibson Praise. He was supposedly the "key to everything", and he has alien DNA along with supernatural powers, so it would make sense that he's involved in the solution to the colonization problem somehow. Maybe he's been working with Doggett this whole time. It would be a nice way to tie in Doggett without actually having him appear on the show. 

Oooh I like that idea. He was in the first episodes that Doggett was in and I don't think we ever saw or heard about him again. It would be cool to tie him in with William somehow. 

• Love 2
(edited)
23 hours ago, festivus said:

Oooh I like that idea. He was in the first episodes that Doggett was in and I don't think we ever saw or heard about him again. It would be cool to tie him in with William somehow. 

No, he's in The Truth - Mulder essentially spent a year in hiding with him, which we find out in The Truth. Gibson testifies on his behalf, he identifies one of the panel as a super soldier, and he is with Mulder and Scully right before they go on the run.  I wouldn't mind seeing him again, though I wonder what the actor looks like now?

Edited by eleanorofaquitaine
  • Love 1

He was also in the episodes where they're looking for Mulder out in the desert, because his best friend becomes impersonated by a super soldier.

20 minutes ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

I wouldn't mind seeing him again, though I wonder what the actor looks like now?

Probably even more like Frohike.  Heh.

Gibson Praise, Frohike collage.jpg

• Love 1

Maybe Gibson made a couple of friends over the years. One with blond hair that's too long, the other with a penchant for being a tad overdressed for every occasion. Maybe they run a blog exposing the lies the government tells the American public.

• Love 1
(edited)
18 hours ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

No, he's in The Truth - Mulder essentially spent a year in hiding with him, which we find out in The Truth. Gibson testifies on his behalf, he identifies one of the panel as a super soldier, and he is with Mulder and Scully right before they go on the run. 

Wow, how did I forget that?! In my defense , I usually nod out during The Truth.

Edited by festivus
  • Love 1

I was surprised Gibson, Spender and Marita didn't return. It would of made so much more sense for Spender or Marita to be working with CSM than Monica, that should of been what they did instead. Because had Robert Patrick came back, Monica's story may have changed if both Monica and John had been available. We could of been spared those new agents for just a R&D return teaming up with M&S. If only, but I reckon both of them would of worked with CSM. 

I do want to learn what happened to John Doggett. Maybe they parted ways him and Reyes because he didn't want to join CSM's cause, and just relocated elsewhere. Because both of them were still agents when CSM approached Reyes. 

• Love 2

Yeah, I wish they had brought back more old characters that would actually have interesting roles to play. Marita and Spender would have been great additions. Though I don't remember if either of them is dead at the end of the original series. But that didn't stop CSM from coming back.

It might have been better to explain that Reyes and Doggett got married, left the FBI, and had a couple kids. Honestly, there has to be SOME characters in the X-Files universe that have a happy ending, haha.

• Love 1
On 5/5/2017 at 11:06 PM, M.F. Luder said:

Yeah, I wish they had brought back more old characters that would actually have interesting roles to play. Marita and Spender would have been great additions. Though I don't remember if either of them is dead at the end of the original series. But that didn't stop CSM from coming back.

It might have been better to explain that Reyes and Doggett got married, left the FBI, and had a couple kids. Honestly, there has to be SOME characters in the X-Files universe that have a happy ending, haha.

Definitely. Agreed on all of that. 

I'm just hoping for better stories in s10 on CC's end. The other writers tried and it was the difference for me.