Type keyword(s) to search

Killian Jones/Captain Hook: One Handed Pirate With A Drinking Problem

• Start Topic

After seeing the shipless pirates on Galavant turning to sustainable farming, now I envision this video as Hook's job in the future after being in Storybrooke for years. Apparently he moves into Zelena's farmhouse and farms orchids for a living. And bought David's truck from him, after the Charmings got a minivan.

And apparently never redecorated.

Christina Perri looks like a brunette Abigail/Katherine at a lot of angles.

I thought this, too. Esspecially at the end when she's standing by the truck.
  • Love 1

Apparently there's even a fangirl working at Once's social media.

Yeah, they're always very complimentary to Colin! I remember last year the drama was that they tweeted something for Colin's birthday, calling him "wonderful" or similar, and then for Lana's birthday it was just "Happy Birthday!" and the fangirls freaked out at the affront,

Yeah, they're always very complimentary to Colin! I remember last year the drama was that they tweeted something for Colin's birthday, calling him "wonderful" or similar, and then for Lana's birthday it was just "Happy Birthday!" and the fangirls freaked out at the affront,

Lana's fangirls have significantly too much time on their hands. 

• Love 1

(Seemingly) random question: between Madonna's Like a Virgin and The Divinyl's I Touch Myself, which do you think would cause Hook more embarrassment?

I actually don't see him being embarrassed by either of those. He'd probably go all Ichabod, and be like "Is this what passes as popular music?!" Come to think of it, the only time I remember Hook being slightly embarrassed was when David made his toast to him in Neverland. I suppose after 300 years, you probably stop giving a damn. I know as I've gotten older, I've become less introverted, and awkward and shy (all of which can lead to embarrassment), just because I don't care as much as I used to about what people think. :)

• Love 1

Well, you guys are just no help at all ;-p

I was just thinking it would be cute and funny if a song came on the radio and it made him blush, so Emma could find it adorable. Here's her smokin' hot pirate boyfriend embarrassed by some old song she's heard a thousand times.

I can't imagine he would ever be embarrassed by any sexual innuendo or references. Aroused and amused, sure. But the dude knows there are good ways to be tied up in bed. He wouldn't bat an eye at a pop song.

It would be hilarious to see his reaction to glam rock, 80s hair bands, and goths, though. What in the piratey hell is THAT?

I was thinking about this while painting my bathroom (hey, I needed mental distraction), and while Hook is the king of innuendo and double entendre, it's possible that he might blush about something more direct and overt. Maybe not the songs mentioned, but a lot of modern music videos, where nothing's left to the imagination, might fluster him. After all, the point of innuendo is veiling it. It still keeps some of the mystery intact. There's not a lot of innuendo in modern American pop culture because there's little that's taboo that needs to be skirted around and veiled behind innuendo.

It's kind of like the way some of the movies made during the days of the production code were actually pretty steamy because they had to work around those tight restrictions. That meant they were loaded with subtext and innuendo. Now anything goes, so they barely bother with the subtext and innuendo. So a movie sex scene or a really racy video might actually make Hook blush. And since Hook is played by Colin, who blushes furiously at the drop of a hat, and that's not the sort of thing that can be consciously controlled, Hook does do his fair share of blushing, so I don't think the occasional blush is entirely out of character.

• Love 2

So maybe it's not the song per se. It could be more situational. He's heard, and sung, plenty of bawdy songs, I'm sure, but it's one thing to hear something like that in a tavern surrounded by pirates too long at sea/ladies of negotiable affection, and another thing altogether (perhaps) to hear it in someone's living room (especially if that someone happens to be your SO's mom).

Or the song gets him to thinking, and Emma calls him out on it. Hell, in that case she might do a little blushing of her own. Think of the UST.

I was thinking, too, of his concern over the idea that Snow and Charming don't approve of his suit. Considering Emma's a grown-ass woman who has a child of her own, she certainly doesn't need her parents' approval. Still, it's a little peek of the Lt. Jones that was. I love the dichotomy of that.

I don't think the writers put a whole lot of thought into any of their character's mindsets beyond whatever plot point the character needs to react to today. However, I'd see Hook's concern about Emma's parents' approval less of an issue of his wanting them to approve and more because he doesn't want to be a cause of friction in that family unit. Honestly, if Emma wants to date Hook, she'll do it regardless of her parents' feelings on the matter, but it could cause some hurt feelings and serious discomfort at family events if the Charmings have problems with Hook. He wouldn't want that.

I'd also agree that Hook wouldn't be embarrassed or shocked at the content of pop songs or movies because there are plenty of really racy songs/plays from ages past, but he would be shocked that they are mainstream and that it's played freely in mixed company with children around. Frankly, I think most of the denizens of Storybrooke would be shocked at today's entertainment offerings. They may have gotten a real world download, but they are largely stuck in the 80s and the scandalous stuff from that decade is laughable now. I could see Mary Margaret being shocked at something only slightly racy by today's standards like Baby Got Back while Emma would think nothing of it since she knew all of the lyrics to it when she was ten. It's a different cultural mindset even with a download, so Hook not having any reference at all would find it completely crazy especially given his straight-laced past as Lt Jones.

Edited by KAOS Agent
  • Love 1

Well, you guys are just no help at all ;-p

I was just thinking it would be cute and funny if a song came on the radio and it made him blush, so Emma could find it adorable. Here's her smokin' hot pirate boyfriend embarrassed by some old song she's heard a thousand times.

My headcanon Hook blushes for no song.

Well okay, maybe:

The Elegant Captain Hook from the Disney cartoon, because it's catchy. Make him really really drunk, and have one of the other supporting characters make a video of him hopping around the docks and singing, and upload it to YouTube or something.

the song gets him to thinking, and Emma calls him out on it. Hell, in that case she might do a little blushing of her own. Think of the UST.

I was thinking, too ... a little peek of the Lt. Jones that was. I love the dichotomy of that.

I actually have this headcanon that baby Killian Jones grew up in a Regency-era England imitation setting (thank you for that, rumsy4), where all the uppercrust ladies and gentlemen are expected to know how to play the piano and sing to entertain guests at all their parties. 

"O, Mistress Mine" is a song written by William Shakespeare, and since we've lost all the melodies of Shakespearean plays, my favorite tune to put the words to is composed by Emilie Autumn.

I could imagine an adolescent Killian Jones learning to have sung it in a technically perfect way, but having no clue as to the real meaning of the words. THEN LIFE HAPPENS. 300 years later, he hears it and probably has a breakdown. He was idealistic and innocent, once! He had a brother! And a ponytail! Then it was scandal and genteel poverty and his mother had to work as a governess to put her boys through Navy school before she died of consumption. Oh the mangst. He'll never play the harpsichord again.

Granted, "nervous breakdown" is still not "blushing" but...

Edited by Faemonic
  • Love 1

Oh heck, I was singing Simon & Garfunkel's "Cecilia" as a toddler because it had such a catchy tune. Hook might be more startled by the actual music rather than the lyrics. Music and musical instruments have certainly changed quite a bit over his unnatural lifespan.

If Misthaven music is anything like their clothes, then I'm thinking that it could be very much like A Knight's Tale (the 2001 movie with Heath Leger, set in Chaucer's time...and scored by David Bowie and Freddie Mercury.) Not so much trying to imitate the traditional troubadours and their ballads.

(edited)

Here's a new radio interview Colin did. Nothing really spoilery, and the interviewers aren't the greatest - but 10 minutes of listening to Colin talk is always a plus!

Ugh that dj was typically awful. Asking about Jamie Dorian and gushing about Colin's accent? I will say Colin is one of the few people I've heard give the logical answer about that stupid dress. And of course the dj replied with something stupid.

Edited by ABitOFluff

Apparently Colin sang "All About That Bass" constantly to Merrin Dungey while they were filming, according to her Twitter.

That desperately needs to be on the S4 DVDs.

Edited by Souris
  • Love 2

That desperately needs to be on the S4 DVDs.

It does. But that would require them to actually put together a blooper reel longer than 2 minutes.

Yo, Once Upon a Time people. I have professional video editing experience. Just send me your hours of outtakes and I'll put something together for free!

• Love 2

He apparently sings all the time on set, and his favorite song to do is Whitesnake's 'Here I Go Again', which actually sort of fits Hook. :) I've also heard he's a really good dancer, and he's good at doing impressions. Why is there no video of any of this?! So annoying. :P And who knows when, or if, The Dust Storm will ever get released. I was really looking forward to seeing it.

ETA:

Buzzfeed has a quiz 'Which Irish Hottie Will You Get Lucky With This St. Patrick’s Day?'. I got Colin on the first try, without trying to get him. If only there were more guys like him.

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Love 1

He's always done a good job of taking something that should be incredibly cheesy and turning it into something earnest, yet subtle somehow. I'm much more drawn into the characters on this show that don't chew the scenery just because they have a ridiculous line to say or because the plot is bonkers. So way to stay grounded, Colin.

• Love 5

I wonder how long he and Carlyle sat together to rehearse that.  I'm glad he got to flex some of his acting muscles.  Even the way he played it up with Will.  I don't think Hook would have played it with that much animosity between them, threatening like that because Hook is basically all about let's be bygones be bygones, it happened, you didn't entirely ruin the date, I had the hand situation, we both fucked up, let's move on.

The only thing that makes me sort of sad about that is that I was hoping Hook would get friends outside of the Charming clan.  Yes, there's Belle and there seems to be a lot of trust established between the two and I'm sure he's not hanging out with his former crew members who are probably all weirded out by his turnabout.  Captain Hook is in love with the Savior and hanging out with royalty.  

I don't know why Matthew Modine is planning to visit Colin on the Once set. Future collaboration perhaps? MM is in the summer series "Proof" on TNT; that's the most recent thing I could find for him. Did Colin & MM ever work together?

Edited by Souris

I don't think Matthew and Colin worked together, but he was in The Miracle Worker on Broadway with Jennifer. But it seems he, Colin and William Shatner were having a twitter convo about some dance festival in Ireland. I just think all celebs know each other. :P

From the Access Hollywood interview. Colin is hilarious! The rest of the interview has some minor spoilers for the upcoming episode.

It's been very cold up there in Vancouver and I was curious if you were missing -- at least in your present day Storybrooke scenes -- the three-quarter length leather coat?'

Colin: Well, actually, to be honest, I've sort of missed it a little bit -- not for warmth, because my shirt was open down to my navel basically, so it wasn't exactly really warm, but I just kind of miss it.
Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 1

They're just not looking hard enough.  My mother is part Irish and she can find those brands just fine and my hometown isn't even an Irish hub anymore.  BC has a pretty sizable Irish population too, I think.  

I imagine that now that he's mentioned it, he will be flooded with tea.

No doubt. And I've seen those brands in a few specialty stores in N.C. Plus I'm certain their families could send them loads of boxes if they really wanted it. But sometimes you just really want to bemoan, just because. ;)

We did get some Hook answers in "Poor Unfortunate Souls." 

We wondered how Hook had a reputation even though he spent all those years in Neverland;  he apparently was sent back to the Enchanted Forest to do Pan's bidding there.  It does explain how he kept up his reputation as a pirate.

They also gave us a reason there'd be animosity between Hook and the mermaids.

Anybody notice any other new information?

• Love 1

I thought it was clever that the key to his safe was on the other end of his hook, even if it was retconning, since we've seen him take his hook off before, and it never had a key.

I also thought Ursula's voice being soothing to Hook was kind of cheesy, but it was sad that every waking moment Hook thought about Milan's death. That is, until he met Emma. :)

• Love 4

It's not information as much as something my friend said when the Jolly Roger was back.  He sacrificed his ship to find Emma and he got his ship back in order to restore Ursula's happy ending and it was almost like he was being rewarded for the good things he has been doing.  He was prepared to go back to the Enchanted Forest to do this with no guarantee that he would be able to make it back to Storybrooke in order to find out what Gold was up to.

With great sacrifice comes great reward.

• Love 6

ETA: Never mind, I need to pay more attention when I watch.

Ariel's strong! She pulled Hook on board and then down into his cabin. I miss her already.

Edited by pezgirl7

Oh-we also can stop trying to figure out where he's staying, or where he and Emma could go to be alone for a while that isn't granny's or the overinhabited Snowing Hovel.

Edited by Mari
  • Love 3

Hook considers Emma to be his happy ending....not his Revenge. I think we all knew this, except for Emma :)

Yeah, goes to show how much he really has changed.   And talk about telling someone you love them without even saying those words.

I take issue with what David and Snow were implying.  I wonder if they have any type of clue how much this guy has sacrificed.  It's like he reunited Ursula and her father today, but he did exactly the same thing when he brought Emma back to Storybrooke.  The first person Emma hugs when she's back is David, her father, the man she is incredibly close to now.

So we all have confidence that Regina won't slip back into her evil glory, but Hook?  No?  Zero confidence in that.

Yeah, seriously, fuck you guys!  I just can't deal with this.  Thank you for defending him, Emma.  Hook had every right to be pissed.  The man who killed Milah, cut off his hand, tried to kill Emma, took his heart and tried to crush it, impersonated him to take back the dagger is back in town and the guy isn't allowed to react?

He's not a damn robot.

• Love 7

Yeah, what more does the poor guy have to do to prove he`s changed? Everyone lets every other bad guy get 500 chances, but Hook? He`s on the permanent shit list!

But never mind. We got tons of great Hook stuff tonight, so I cant complain much! 

The only opinion that matters is Emma's because, you know, reasons.  She was really proud of him.  That scene when Ursula gets her voice back and is hugging her father, Emma is just really proud of him.

Let's see how snowing deal with their brand of fuckery next week.  I'm going to have myself a nice glass of white wine and pour a tall glass of STFU for Snowing before I sit back and just enjoy.

^ That's a manip, in case people didn't know. You can tell by the shortness of the chest hair. Hah!

If they don't show the Jolly Roger again, I will be very disappointed. I'm glad it's back with its "rightful owner".

• Love 2

Colin really got to show his acting chops in the past two episodes. So glad they're not wasting him as scenery prop all the time. I enjoyed the Hook/Ariel scenes. They work so well! When Hook empathized with Ursula over the loss of her mother, he seemed to be remembering his own mother. Maybe we will get some baby Killian flashbacks one day.

Hook's declaration to Emma was swoon-worthy. I'm also glad he stopped being secretive about his plans! 

• Love 6

All I can think of is that Hook wasn't joking when he said he would take a page out of Emma's book.  He played Savior for a day and gave 3 people their happy ending.  Ariel when he released her from the bottle even though he had no idea she was there, but he made amends with her (a Hook/Ariel friendship makes me all kind of fuzzy inside), Ursula and her father's relationship was also fixed, thanks to him.

It's like yeah, he nearly lost his way when he pulled a gun on Ursula, but I get where he's coming from.  Rumple took a lot from him and he's using him (indirectly this time) to do his dirty work again and he's just not prepared to lose more than he already has.  It was more a desperate move on his part than something done out of malice.

Anyway, I'd say it was a productive day for him.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 3