Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

12 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Apparently Jill ask for prayers (for her) at their current church because Phillip has become too arrogant and is living in his car in OK.

Phil seems to be going through something. Possibly a crisis of faith, onset of mental health issues or has joined a cult.

I think you can find more info on Redditt. 

Oh wow, that's terrible. Thank you for the summary. 

• Like 4
13 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Part of the grift.

Part of a post from at least a year ago:

IMG_7715.jpeg

Ha! This was my favorite - we know that would devastate a lot of churches! 😆😆😆

• LOL 23
16 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

Methinks that we may be witnessing the caboose of the JillPM Grift Train. 

I think we were seeing the end when the GoFundMe for Ma Noyes went nowhere.    We commented here that she had asked for too much too often and people were sick of it.   Especially, as others have noted, her SM is full of her trips, her new clothes, her eating out, etc.       There's an ocassional mention that she gets all of this because of how dogly she is, but its clear this is the Church of Jill.    

Maybe the clearinghouse is finally pulling the plug on them.   Surely they can find someone else to hit "print" on the machine for their cheap ass tracts?   Its clear the Rods aren't interested in spreading the word of dog through any sort of actual ministry or putting that much effort into the printing ministry.

• Like 19

Is it possible someone has connected the church and the clearinghouse and provided them both the tale of the grift and the greed?  AKA we're doing a ministry and we need x,y, z, however I'm peddling an MLM and please buy so I can go on vacation, with a topper of we have an apostate, runaway, or mentally ill  child and appear to be nothing about it except ask for prayers.  

• Like 11
54 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Is it possible someone has connected the church and the clearinghouse and provided them both the tale of the grift and the greed?  AKA we're doing a ministry and we need x,y, z, however I'm peddling an MLM and please buy so I can go on vacation, with a topper of we have an apostate, runaway, or mentally ill  child and appear to be nothing about it except ask for prayers.  

Can we please stop referring to Phillip as possibly mentally ill? We have no evidence of that. 

He is a 21 year old man that has seemed fed up with mama's crap for most of this year. Most times he has been shown he has seemed uninterested in reacting to, or acknowledging, mama's camera and was staring at his own phone.

Possibly his little blurb at the one church was so mama would not ask him to get on stage for the circus ever again.

Not all that different than best hubby ever david, who is most always unresponsive, staring a his phone or in a recliner staring at the tv or asleep.

Maybe Phillip is currently "puffed up with pride" but so is Jill.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1
  • Applause 5
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

All the evidence is on line, so if someone was clued in they could find all the begging and spending posts.  I'm sort of surprised that no one has questioned her before.

I wish someone had an update on Philip.  I hope he is okay.  Unless this was Mama's way of getting attention and gifts.

• Like 11

Maverick seems to be a popular name lately.  When I hear it, I think of the TV Western that was popular when I was a kid.  I still remember the theme song (shakes head).

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 6
1 hour ago, CalicoKitty said:

Maverick seems to be a popular name lately.  When I hear it, I think of the TV Western that was popular when I was a kid.  I still remember the theme song (shakes head).

Michael Phelps and his wife have a Maverick. No word on whether he feels the need for speed. 

I was surprised that Sierra is only in her mid-thirties. She looks older, but as we know, hate ages. 

• Like 7
3 hours ago, Vantraveller said:

I'm always confused as to how they are spreading the word by visiting churches where the congregants already have the same beliefs as them. Isn't that just preaching to the converted?

I’ve always been confused about this, too. Who are they converting?

• Like 14
8 hours ago, AstridM said:

They’re converting no one at any of those “meetings” or churches they go to.  They’re there only for the “love offerings.”

• Like 12
(edited)

Yeah, those revivals fire up the base so they are filled with Jesus and can go forth and pass out tracts, etc. 

Although I don't understand how getting screamed at for days on end (with intervals of song) can fire anyone up. I'd be exhausted and traumatized. 

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Like 16
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3
52 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

They’re converting no one at any of those “meetings” or churches they go to.  They’re there only for the “love offerings.”

And the free pity food. 

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
9 hours ago, AstridM said:

The churches are just to remind people to use their print ministry.     The converting  is when they go to things like fairs, and local events (or the laundromat).   That's when they accost strangers screeching at them and showing the cheap ass tracts in their hands.     The churches then order tracts that they hand out.   

David's "ministry" is not a preaching one.   Because we've all heard him preach so let's all praise dog it isn't a preaching one.    It's the printing of the tracts used to try to convert people.    He is printing for the glory of dog.

• Like 8
17 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

Maverick means independent and unconventional. It's an odd name choice for people who train their kids to be meek and compliant. 

I think Sierra is Fundy-light now. With that said I'm sure they look at the name as a manly-man name.

• Like 2
  • LOL 5
12 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

May I ask why discussing a possible mental health issue is a problem? The topic isn't being discussed in a snarky way, and no one is diagnosing him.

IMO, discussing mental health issues is no different than discussing physical health issues, family issues or faith issues.

Maybe because I'm a therapist, I see it as the same way no one would discuss cancer way back in the day. Some how fear of cancer made it feel shameful. (not implying you feel its shameful).

1 in 5 Americans will experience a mental health issue. May is Mental Health Awareness month, in part to help end the stigma.

I agree! My only qualm here is that I want to avoid armchair diagnosis (doing that is a terrible habit of mine).

11 hours ago, Vantraveller said:

I'm always confused as to how they are spreading the word by visiting churches where the congregants already have the same beliefs as them. Isn't that just preaching to the converted?

It is preaching to the converted. Quiverfull is hard to manage. Even our famous fundies have dealt with lack of food and unsuitable housing (and yes, that's the 1st gens own stupid fault for joining the cult, but the point stands). There are also plenty of other super-conservative religious groups that people can join who don't demand self-employment, women who are only allowed to sneakily contribute to the family income through MLMs, awkward crafts and bad singing, or double digit family sizes. I'll bet it's very easy for the rank and file to sneak away to something that's a little less cult-y. Enter the fundie royalty with the two pronged hit of "look how we've been blessed!" and "If this isn't working for you, you aren't faithful enough."

On a slightly less manipulative note, the original tent meetings were a chance for people to get together with their neighbours from neighbouring communities, have some summer socializing and a bit of entertainment (of low, low quality but still). These fundie communities are pretty spread out (thank goodness) so it is a chance to reconnect and lets face it, if your family doesn't watch maps and is too big to afford any paid entertainment, your options are still pretty limited. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

The churches are just to remind people to use their print ministry.     The converting  is when they go to things like fairs, and local events (or the laundromat).   That's when they accost strangers screeching at them and showing the cheap ass tracts in their hands.     The churches then order tracts that they hand out.

Maybe Jill's social media should stick to the public god-bothering she is supposed to be doing instead of showing off her many vacations, shopping excursions, restaurant meals, theater outings, Plexus freebies, and wardrobe additions, media posts that feature her heavily made-up face, bleached hair with cheap extensions, and use of multiple filters to give the appearance of looking younger, healthier, and slimmer. 

Jill seems to be more in love with Jill than the work she and David are getting paid to do. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 15
19 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

May I ask why discussing a possible mental health issue is a problem? The topic isn't being discussed in a snarky way, and no one is diagnosing him.

IMO, discussing mental health issues is no different than discussing physical health issues, family issues or faith issues.

Maybe because I'm a therapist, I see it as the same way no one would discuss cancer way back in the day. Some how fear of cancer made it feel shameful. (not implying you feel its shameful).

1 in 5 Americans will experience a mental health issue. May is Mental Health Awareness month, in part to help end the stigma.

I agree with @crazy8s because we really don't know if Phillip has any mental health issues. All he did was one weird sermon thingy and leaving the compound and Jill's influence. And apparently preferring to live in car instead of home. Now, it doesn't mean he doesn't have mental health issues that need treatment but it also could just mean that he is sick and tired of the travelling roadshow  and is trying to figure out where to go from there. What he absolutely has is a massive amount of religious trauma .

• Like 9
(edited)
14 minutes ago, lianau said:

I agree with @crazy8s because we really don't know if Phillip has any mental health issues. All he did was one weird sermon thingy and leaving the compound and Jill's influence. And apparently preferring to live in car instead of home. Now, it doesn't mean he doesn't have mental health issues that need treatment but it also could just mean that he is sick and tired of the travelling roadshow  and is trying to figure out where to go from there. What he absolutely has is a massive amount of religious trauma .

I don't think anyone said Phil has mental health issues - just speculation based on his current events. I'm not sure we can say for sure that he has been traumatized by his religious upbringing either, but it certainly is a possibility due to his current circumstances.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Like 12
  • Useful 1
(edited)
On 8/23/2024 at 8:09 PM, GeeGolly said:

I let @GeeGolly know earlier that I saw this and was considering my words before answering. My intent was not to belittle mental health issues, anyone receiving care they need or conversation about it but worded it poorly.

It is not the discussing mental health issues that made me ask that we not assume Phillip is experiencing mental health issues. It is the "they should be helping Phillip" or "should be going to find Phillip", as if him having a mental health issue and needs help is a known thing.

There is so little info about Phillip's current situation and much of what there is proved false. He made one little blurb in church and then Jill's prayer which was mostly phillip is prideful, wrong and listening to someone that is not us and oh I am so vulnerable asking for prayers.

If we think of this in our experience it does seem concerning and those who have experienced this or are in the field of mental health care would recognize things most of us would not.

If we look at this from Phillip's point of view, he is a 21yr old man, been raised and touted as being the scholarly one all his life, going to be a missionary to Hungary, done practice preaching for many years and been taught "soul winning" is among the highest priorities he could have.

He grew up with parents who gave up their home, packed up 10 or so kids, went on the road and lived in an RV for a year to "save souls". So they were homeless in the same way Phillip seems to be now. The parents too had differences with their church and left when they felt they had the higher moral and doctrinal high ground.

Phillip has been writing poetry for quite a while. Jill posted a few. His narrated linkedin poem was weird to me, but many poems are weird to me. But his voice narrating it was similar to his narration in his video about Hungary. Maybe that his "deep thinker" voice or something.

The health issues we talk about here and even the "feed your kids" comments about the rods feel different and less speculative to me. Either someone asks a specific question in small talk or Jill dumps a ton of pics and personal details so there is a lot to comment on.

Jill has posted for years of valuing trim girls, fasting children, videos of the empty pantry, mostly empty fridge with her full "mama only" diet drawer and dip up dave eating first.

Jill's posting of the health issues of others usually involve way too much personal info, pictures and lots of details. Many videos of her mom after her stroke, Gideon in the NICU, sister Amy, a year's worth of posts of Sofia missing her teeth, Nurie and Kaylee shown pregnant or nursing and drinking the pink drink give a lot to discuss.

Probably I am not explaining this well at all and my original post wasn't worded well.

I just wanted to ask that we not assume Phillip is having a mental health issue and needs to be found in order to receive help.

The issue for Jill seems he chose to do something on his own and is now out of their control. If Phillip had told them hey I am loading my car with smiley tracts to go street preach and win souls in oklahoma and I will try and get a job and send a few bucks home, Jill would be boasting about it.

Edited by crazy8s
  • Like 14
(edited)

Someone has done a little digging, and came up with some information about Sam's girlfriend, Brianne. 

She graduated from the University of Florida in 2021 with a BA, major unknown. 

In 2022, she posted to her FB looking for a bible believing college. She said that she talked to her pastor (Nathan?) about attending. She added that her family was unsaved. Her father had been charged with child neglect, but charges were dropped. It appears her parents are divorced. 

So, she's a fairly recent convert to fundamentalism. That might explain her wardrobe of costumes. I bet Jill loves this. Someone new she can seemingly mold in her image.

• Like 7
  • Mind Blown 6
  • Sad 4
  • Useful 4
8 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

So, she's a fairly recent convert to fundamentalism. That might explain her wardrobe of costumes. I bet Jill loves this. Someone new she can seemingly mold in her image.

New converts can be the most enthusiastic, so Jill will be occupied.

At the very least, Sambri will probably move close to the barndo, giving Jill yet another house to "decorate/clutter."

From the brief glimpses of Sam I've seen in Jill's videos, he strikes me as somewhat dull and boring. I hope he can keep up with a woman with an education and a family that has gone through some difficult life changes. 

• Like 11
  • Sad 2
40 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

From the brief glimpses of Sam I've seen in Jill's videos, he strikes me as somewhat dull and boring. I hope he can keep up with a woman with an education and a family that has gone through some difficult life changes. 

I hope she can give Sam some backbone to say "you are the headship now,  you don't have to listen to  your mother."  That would be the best.  Once he marries and moves out, he is his own headship by their own rules.  

• Like 7
  • Applause 3
(edited)

A woman with a college education has been roped in by the Rods?!  This makes me sad.  At least she will (hopefully) lead the way with homeschooling.  Maybe the whole idea is to move her into the barndo and take over teaching duties.

Edited by kaleidoscope
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 5
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

I hope she can give Sam some backbone to say "you are the headship now,  you don't have to listen to  your mother."  That would be the best.  Once he marries and moves out, he is his own headship by their own rules.  

Unfortunately, it seems like she's looking for stability and sees the Rods as a role model. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 17
1 hour ago, kaleidoscope said:

Maybe the whole idea is to move her into the barndo and take over teaching duties.

Jill is not interested in actually educating her kids.   That has been demonstrated time and again.    I mean if she is off on "vacation" every other month when are the kids learning?   From their equally uneducated sisters?

Given Jill's lack of caring about education, I wonder if Tim's dropping out of school was not just the costs but also that he simply did not have the math skills to be a pilot.   I think being around Heidi's family and realizing how much he lost out on, not just with Mahmo's insular beliefs but also the lack of education is why he is moving farther and father away.  

This could also be part of what is going on with Phillip.   Finding out that Mahmo's School of Whatever Mahmo Says did not prepare him to actually be a missionary.    That it would take literally years of education to catch up to be able to do it.      He's 21 and angry at his parents for failing him.

• Like 16
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

New converts can be the most enthusiastic, so Jill will be occupied.

At the very least, Sambri will probably move close to the barndo, giving Jill yet another house to "decorate/clutter."

I mean, Samuel can barely speak English, so it’s very WEIRD that an older, college educated woman would choose him, imho. 

49 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

He's 21 and angry at his parents for failing him.

I think this is likely a big part of it, and rightly so. He should be pissed off!

Edited by AstridM
  • Like 17
4 minutes ago, AstridM said:

I mean, Samuel can barely speak English, so it’s very WEIRD that an older, college educated woman would choose him, imho. 

Right? There's no one in Florida that's suitable? 

• Like 9
  • Applause 2
2 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Right? There's no one in Florida that's suitable? 

And she’s not particularly “unstable,” from what I’ve heard. She lives in a home and has an actual job, etc. Far more stable than the Rods, imo. 

• Like 6

Jill has kept her children uneducated in MANY ways. I can imagine how someone “courting” any of them might leave knowing how ill prepared Jill’s children are to deal with the real world. It would take a long time to educate them in the ways of the world. 

child abuse is not just physically harming children. It’s not educating them, not feeding them, and not preparing them for life. 

• Like 11
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 6
  • Useful 1

I promised myself I would not interfere with my adult children's relationships, but if one of my kids was making goo-goo eyes at a Rodrigues offspring for some reason, there would be a serious discussion. 

It's not the Rod children's fault; Jill and David have completely failed to parent them to  become mature, productive adults. Plus, who would want the two master moochers, shrilly Jilly and lazy Davy, to become part of their family? 

• Like 11
  • Mind Blown 1
5 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

I promised myself I would not interfere with my adult children's relationships, but if one of my kids was making goo-goo eyes at a Rodrigues offspring for some reason, there would be a serious discussion. 

It's not the Rod children's fault; Jill and David have completely failed to parent them to  become mature, productive adults. Plus, who would want the two master moochers, shrilly Jilly and lazy Davy, to become part of their family? 

It's too horrifying to think about, having those two sponges as in-laws.  Even for a convert cult member, that family is the worst.  I hope getting to know them better wises that young lady up, and she bolts.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, CalicoKitty said:

I think she wants the "cult" and she thinks Sam is the way to be accepted.  As a new convert she will double down on all the rules and dress codes.

Agree, she seems over eager. I wonder how long that fervor will last. 

• Like 13
40 minutes ago, precious pupp said:

It's too horrifying to think about, having those two sponges as in-laws.  Even for a convert cult member, that family is the worst.  I hope getting to know them better wises that young lady up, and she bolts.

It seems like the opposite is happening. She recently reposted a Bible verse Jill originally posted on FB. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 3
37 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Agree, she seems over eager. I wonder how long that fervor will last. 

Where is anyone seeing her? Or is this based on what she posts? 

I’m shocked that Jill is still not posting on SM.  This is the longest time away that I can remember, she’s got to be twitching at this point.  

Is she not able to influence Dave to get her way?   I’d love to be a fly on the wall for those conversations.

• Like 10
1 minute ago, tabloidlover said:

I’m shocked that Jill is still not posting on SM.  This is the longest time away that I can remember, she’s got to be twitching at this point.  

Is she not able to influence Dave to get her way?   I’d love to be a fly on the wall for those conversations.

I saw Jill and several family members singing in the church choir this morning. Jill, of course, stood out in a salmon satin number. Renee, in contrast, was in black. Others seen were all the kids at home down to Olivia. Choir looks to be teens/young adults...and Jill. 

• Useful 7
2 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Well, of course Jill was singing with the young people's choir; she is often mistaken for one of the girls, after all.  People cannot believe she is old enough to be their mother.

I'm sure she fit right in, especially encased in salmon satin.

• LOL 19
31 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I saw Jill and several family members singing in the church choir this morning. Jill, of course, stood out in a salmon satin number. Renee, in contrast, was in black. Others seen were all the kids at home down to Olivia. Choir looks to be teens/young adults...and Jill. 

I just checked the church’s YT channel and today’s service isn’t there.

• Useful 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

child abuse is not just physically harming children. It’s not educating them, not feeding them, and not preparing them for life. 

I think technically it might be neglect, but not preparing children for life sadly isn't illegal as tons of parents miss that one.  It's how we end up with sex education in schools, how to prepare for college classes, how to study classes, and many others because parents either don't know or don't think it's important to teach their children or make them aware of things.  

Edited by Absolom
I can usually spell. :)
  • Like 5
  • Useful 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

I just checked the church’s YT channel and today’s service isn’t there.

Reddit found it. I bet the church took it down again. 

• Useful 6