Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

34 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

I think she fried it so badly over the years plus menopause changes means this is about all she can do with it these days.   

Staying with her own sister and all she can say is "they have 10 children."   Jill's lack of insight into anything about anyone else is just astounding.   I know narcissist but she doesn't even attempt to pretend.  

That hair must be SO hot on her neck, at her age and in this weather. Ask me how i know, lol. Plus her heavy clothing and I would be driven insane. 

2 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

My hair hasn't changed much but I take care of my hair. I upped the shampoo/conditioner brand to something better when I noticed my hair was dry. Made a huge difference. 

I had several inches cut off mine last month and it made a huge difference. Mine just gets to shoulder length and then much of it wants to split and break. Jill would benefit from a good trim!

• Like 11
6 minutes ago, AstridM said:

That hair must be SO hot on her neck, at her age and in this weather. Ask me how i know, lol. Plus her heavy clothing and I would be driven insane. 

I had several inches cut off mine last month and it made a huge difference. Mine just gets to shoulder length and then much of it wants to split and break. Jill would benefit from a good trim!

Regular cuts or even trims are very important. 

I can't imagine how hot that hair is. My hair is shoulder length and in the summer it can get really hot on my neck. 

• Like 10
43 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I can't imagine how hot that hair is. My hair is shoulder length and in the summer it can get really hot on my neck. 

Yeah, I still have a ton of hair and when I get too hot (which is often, lol) the first place I feel it is on my scalp and neck, even when it’s pulled back. 

• Like 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

My hair is long for the first time in 30+ years.  I can count the number of days  it hasn’t been gathered up in a claw type clip this summer on one hand.    It’s only down at night or in the car( the headrest makes the clip painful.  

I do not understand why the fundies ( Jill etc) basically compete  over who has the longest hair, regardless of appearance and condition.    There’s no prize ( other than at a state fair) given. It’s not even a religious mandate other than being long enough to cover your head.  Yet I had a friend tell me her church members harassed  a woman whose hair naturally stopped growing at about shoulder length.  

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Like 2
  • Mind Blown 4
  • Sad 8
13 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I am getting worried about Tessie"s posture.  It looks like her head is forward and to the side in a lot of pictures, and I think it is more than just slouching because she is taller.  Her head seems very thrust forward.  She needs to see the orthopedic doctor.  (I know, small chance of that happening)

I wonder if it's because Jill sends little barbs Tessie's way about her height...things like, you're taller than your brothers!  Or, you're not as petite as your sisters!  Tessie is gorgeous and she should be proud of her height, but I assume that her physical body doesn't quite fit with Mahmo's description of the perfect waif-like future wife of a good fundie man.

• Sad 15
4 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

I wonder if it's because Jill sends little barbs Tessie's way about her height...things like, you're taller than your brothers!  Or, you're not as petite as your sisters!  Tessie is gorgeous and she should be proud of her height, but I assume that her physical body doesn't quite fit with Mahmo's description of the perfect waif-like future wife of a good fundie man.

In a better world, she would have a modeling gig in Paris and be sipping a coffee by the Eiffel Tower. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 8
  • Love 5
17 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Is she taller than Jill?

After so many pregnancies, Jill will probably shrink a lot. We'll see if Pexus fixes it like everything else Jill claims it cures. 

All those long skirts she owns and probably can't part with will become real floor sweepers. 

That mass of bleached hair certainly makes Jill stand out in a group photo. I guess that's the idea. 

• Like 10
5 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

My hair is long for the first time in 30+ years.  I can count the number of days  it hasn’t been gathered up in a claw type clip this summer on one hand.    It’s only down at night or in the car( the headrest makes the clip painful.  

I do not understand why the fundies ( Jill etc) basically compete  over who has the longest hair, regardless of appearance and condition.    There’s no prize ( other than at a state fair) given. It’s not even a religious mandate other than being long enough to cover your head.  Yet I had a friend tell me her church members harassed  a woman whose hair naturally stopped growing at about shoulder length.  

Thank you to everyone who has been talking about hair.  You truly made me realize that there is SOME benefit to having very, very fine, thin hair that doesn't quite cover my scalp.  You finally gave me a positive.  I never get hot from too much hair.  I am always envious of people who have nice hair, so now at least I have one positive to consider.  I really mean it.  No one has ever pointed out a positive before.  Thank you so much.  

• Hugs 8
  • Love 9
(edited)
30 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Could you give a short recap of the video?  

Jill made a prayer request at church. It’s regarding Phillip who apparently has left home and is living in his car. The audio is really bad, perhaps someone else saw it and has a better take on it.

Edited by ginger90
  • Mind Blown 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 9
50 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Could you give a short recap of the video?  And what is the screenshot accompanying Jill's post - Janessa face-timing her praying sister?  

It's Janessa videoing the prayer...at Mahmo's insistence no doubt.
But if Jilly is the holiest mother that ever mothered, wouldn't she be teaching Janessa how to participate in family prayer time as well? She's not a baby or toddler.

• Like 8
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1

Oh dear.   Remember the flippity heads?   And then something about Philip preaching on street corners?   We were concerned about his mental health.

I wonder if he just had a break from reality.   Oh dear.   I really hope he is okay.   I don't like Jill, but I don't wish any harm to her children.    

• Like 23
  • Sad 7
(edited)

If Phillip is struggling, I hope someone with proper connections reaches out to him to actually help.  I don't know that Jill and David have the capacity to recognize a mental health disorder, let alone how to help him treat it.

But with that large a group of children, many of whom were likely left to raise themselves and each other, I'm sadly not surprised.

I'd also like to think that Jill won't use this for social media content and grift purposes, but.....yeah.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Like 10
  • Sad 6

Sounds like Phillip may have been taken in by another cult and/or is displaying schizoaffective/schizophrenia symptoms.

This is so sad.

Hopefully the police will bring him to a crisis team where he can be evaluated.

• Like 14

This situation with Phillip is truly disturbing.  I don't feel  quite as badly as I did with Garrison Brown because Phillip is still alive. And while he is alive there is still hope. But nevertheless I feel slightly ill. I know many of us saw the warning signs, but I so hoped we were wrong. I also felt so badly for him that his mother who should protect him at all costs, used his situation to draw attention to herself.  It's once again all about her. Just infuriating to me.

• Sad 23
22 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

Thank you to everyone who has been talking about hair.  You truly made me realize that there is SOME benefit to having very, very fine, thin hair that doesn't quite cover my scalp.  You finally gave me a positive.  I never get hot from too much hair.  I am always envious of people who have nice hair, so now at least I have one positive to consider.  I really mean it.  No one has ever pointed out a positive before.  Thank you so much.  

You’re right - I actually have fantasized about shaving my head on more than one occasion over the years because all of my hair is so damn hot.

2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Jill made a prayer request at church. It’s regarding Phillip who apparently has left home and is living in his car. The audio is really bad, perhaps someone else saw it and has a better take on it.

I hope he’s ok, but I don’t blame him! 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Oh dear.   Remember the flippity heads?   And then something about Philip preaching on street corners?   We were concerned about his mental health.

I wonder if he just had a break from reality.   Oh dear.   I really hope he is okay.   I don't like Jill, but I don't wish any harm to her children.    

It could be a mental health issue, BUT it could simply be one child finally breaking from Jill and David’s control and abuse. He has lived “on his own” more than the others and may be able to break free. That said, I hope that he does get help with any mental and/or physical health issues ASAP if needed.

27 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Sounds like Phillip may have been taken in by another cult and/or is displaying schizoaffective/schizophrenia symptoms.

This is so sad.

Hopefully the police will bring him to a crisis team where he can be evaluated.

Lord, I hope not. He’s certainly at the right age, should that be the case. But as I said, I think anyone would break after being raised by Jill and David, and maybe he does have the strength in him to break free. He will need some support and guidance though and I hope he gets it - from someone qualified outside of the cult.

• Like 15

So much to unpack with this one but regardless of the reason, it comes as no surprise. I feel bad for the guy, if he has mental health issues, he won't get help from this crowd. If he is trying to break away, he is going to be vilified by them. 

Jill and David will be no help whatsoever with whatever is going on with him. Wow. 

• Sad 11

I really hope you're right, AstridM. If it were Sam or Renee I'd be cheering, but the street preaching and the flibitty heads (plus the weird poem that he put on LinkedIn per Reddit) imply that he's going into the even weirder worlds of religion. I'm also worried that if Phillip has pushed back against his parents (whether in the even more conservative direction or in the liberation theology direction) they're going to crack down hard on what little freedom the remaining Rodlets have. 

• Sad 13
On 8/8/2024 at 10:05 AM, mythoughtis said:

OHHH girl you need one of these  image.thumb.png.7e9ea13df1954601de28fd47948fde6f.png

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 3

Now the looks among the family when Phillip did his church gibberish rant make sense - it likely wasn't the first time.

A very typical onset happens when a child/adult is away at school. It seems the new environment and stressors that come with it are enough to flip the switch.

This might explain Phil's abrupt return home from that free "college".

Let's hope we're wrong and he's just being a religious zealot. 

I'm sending Phil some healthy vibes.

• Like 11

I was at a conference once and another woman attendee belonged to a very strict church.  Skirts only, and women never cut their hair.  These women are easy to spot around town because they have huge updos.  The woman at the conference came one day with her hair down because it was still damp after she washed it the day before, and it reached her lower calf.  She said that usually it is still damp when she puts it up.  That woman had a whole lot of hair!  I'm not sure what church this is, but it somewhere near Modesto in California.  Not to be confused with the Mennonites who wear white bonnets.  (There are several religious sects in that area). I have been told that the  girls/young women in group who don't  cut their hair must be introduced by an older women  before they can talk to a young man at church.  At least they don't seem to have mother-arranged marriages.

• Mind Blown 4
31 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Now the looks among the family when Phillip did his church gibberish rant make sense - it likely wasn't the first time.

A very typical onset happens when a child/adult is away at school. It seems the new environment and stressors that come with it are enough to flip the switch.

This might explain Phil's abrupt return home from that free "college".

Let's hope we're wrong and he's just being a religious zealot. 

I'm sending Phil some healthy vibes.

Yeah, i’ve done some further Reddit research (haha) and it seems Phillip told someone he was asked to leave his last Bible college and wasn’t allowed back. No details, but that’s not great. And apparently has allegedly been recruiting teen boys in a park and has sent them some long and concerning texts (sometimes sexual?) so if true is very concerning. 

• Mind Blown 3
  • Sad 9

I hope Phillip is just escaping Mahmo's clutches. I wonder if she permits the adult children to have their IDs, like birth certificate & SS card. I hope he has some money. Leaving Jill & Dave seems similar to leaving a DV situation! They are control freaks!

• Like 14
(edited)

I wonder when Phillip left.  Was this before the various trips the family has taken the last couple months?  Before she spent two weeks in Florida with several of her kids, visiting the beach and tourist traps with a newborn? Meanwhile David was at home taking photos of the garden?  

She’s been posting Plexus  stuff and various ordinary day stuff.   Just another day in Paradise according to her. 

Did either of them take an emergency trip to Oklahoma?   Because that’s what the rest of  us would do - even if our young male adult wouldn’t talk to us when we got there.  It wouldn’t have mattered what events, meetings,  love offerings we would miss. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Like 13
  • Applause 7
12 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

I wonder when Phillip left.  Was this before the various trips the family has taken the last couple months?  Before she spent two weeks in Florida with several of her kids, visiting the beach and tourist traps with a newborn? Meanwhile David was at home taking photos of the garden?  

She’s been posting Plexus  stuff and various ordinary day stuff.  

Did either of them take an emergency trip to Oklahoma?   Because that’s what the rest of  us would do - even if our young male adult wouldn’t talk to us when we got there.  

It's so hard to even know what I hope will happen. If it's a mental health crisis, then yeah, Phillip should absolutely have been the priority over Precious Nurie (it's her third, and Jill is as useless as a bicycle for a fish), but if it's an escape (especially if it's related to sexual orientation), then I'd be way more scared about what Jill and David would do or say to him once they caught up. 

• Like 20
3 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Based on the Vogonesque poetry he's posted on LinkedIn, it seems like he's having a crisis of faith. That jives with Jill's tearful plea for prayers at Wednesday night's service. 

Some of his poetry isn’t completely awful, tbh. I bet he’s pissed that Jill and David didn’t educate him, and I don’t blame him at all. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 4
(edited)
On 8/9/2024 at 5:10 PM, mythoughtis said:

I wonder when Phillip left. 

Feb it seems is when Renee spilled it at a grift stop that Phillip was living at home and working full time. When they gave their spiel at the new church beginning of april Renee started to introduce him and seemed surprised he was there. She said something like "oh you are here" then said he "lived on the property"

Beginning of June Phillip traveled with them for Samuel's graduation and gave the laughing lollipop speech at the one church.

Since then jill has been to vegas with kaylee, then to west virginia and florida for a month.

I find it interesting Jill is worried about Phillip being prideful, when jill and dave have raised all of the children to believe they are better than everyone else.

I wonder if Phillip bailed on the barndo while dave was in charge while jill was off vacationing.

Edited by crazy8s
  • Like 6
  • Useful 10
42 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

Feb it seems is when Renee spilled it at a grift stop that Phillip was living at home and working full time. When they gave their spiel at the new church beginning of april Renee started to introduce him and seemed surprised he was there. She said something like "oh you are here" then said he "lived on the property"

Beginning of May Phillip traveled with them for Samuel's graduation and gave the laughing lollipop speech at the one church.

Since then jill has been to vegas with kaylee, then to west virginia and florida for a month.

I find it interesting Jill is worried about Phillip being prideful, when jill and dave have raised all of the children to believe they are better than everyone else.

I wonder if Phillip bailed on the barndo while dave was in charge while jill was off vacationing.

I read that he had a factory job in Ohio and was at least briefly living with some of his coworkers, and later left for Oklahoma. I don’t know the timeline on these, though. I do know from experience that working in one of those Ohio warehouses during the summer months can be absolutely brutally hot and the turnover is very high because of that (and many other reasons), so I do get it if he felt it was too much and bailed. Sadly, Jill and David made sure that their kids weren’t qualified for many better jobs 😢.

• Sad 10

Jill admires the Amish so much, but even they give their children a chance to sow their wild oats. And make up their own minds about their religion.  Something that would make Jill's head explode. 

I hope Phillip is ok. And that Jill doesn't rush in, trying to "help" but making it all about herself.  As usual.

• Like 14
33 minutes ago, beckie said:

Jill admires the Amish so much, but even they give their children a chance to sow their wild oats. And make up their own minds about their religion.  Something that would make Jill's head explode. 

I hope Phillip is ok. And that Jill doesn't rush in, trying to "help" but making it all about herself.  As usual.

She made her prayer request all about her. She said something about how she was so vulnerable. 🙄

• Mind Blown 2
  • Angry 12

I think Philip escaped when Jill was in Florida. Then Dave met up with Jill to meet his nephew Isaiah. So Philip had a window of opportunity to escape and he did.

FIUP! Too bad Renee didn’t leave with him.

• Like 9

It could be a crisis of faith is causing mental health issues.   All his life he's been told Mahmo is always right and her interpretation of the Bible the only way.   He's seen his family leave churches that didn't believe like Mahmo did.   He could also be having some urges that Mahmo DEFINITELY would not approve of.   

Can you imagine the cognitive dissonance the poor kid is going through right now?

• Like 2
  • Sad 16
6 hours ago, beckie said:

Rumspringa. I fully support that, as long as he’s safe.

• Like 9
7 hours ago, crazy8s said:

I wonder how long until any of them noticed, as dark as that sounds.  

My parents went above and beyond to help my brother (dx schizophrenia) and while it helped for 15-20 years, after they passed, he checked out.  We all know J&D won't help Phillip on any way that is actually helpful and I will leave the snark out when I say I hope that someone does step in and help him.  And mostly, that he's accepting of the help.  

I don't say this to armchair dx Phillip with anything, because I'm not, but the similarities are frightening.  Saying "I hope it's just a phase" seems so dismissive too, so idk... whatever is happening isn't great.

• Like 16
  • Sad 5