Type keyword(s) to search

Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner or Something Else? What's YOUR Fave?

PRgal
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Brunch for me!  My husband and I do brunch every Sunday (and sometimes, Saturdays, too).  Today, we had went to one of our old favourites and I was happy to see that they made some additions to the menu to include a brie/apple/walnut frittata.  Love brie and apples.

https://instagram.com/p/z78SLtyFAe/

Edited by PRgal
  • Love 2

Brunch is probably my least favorite; a lot of what is considered brunch food is not something I want to be eating as my first meal of the day.

Dinner is my favorite, but I can't decide between lunch and breakfast for second place.  I hardly ever eat an interesting breakfast (a glass of milk plus oatmeal or fruit during the week), so I lean towards lunch, but on weekends when I do make breakfast, I really enjoy it. (I sit here now with an egg white scramble and Bloody Mary.)

My favorite is snacking...when I can have pieces of cheese or key lime yogurt or something small. I typically fall in love with appetizers or things on the "sides" part of menus...much more than entrees. For lunch today, I had a falafel sandwich I made from a falafel appetizer on a roll and salad, which was really good. I'm about to eat crackers and cheese with blueberries. I'd take this any day over a baked half chicken with roasted vegetables.

• Love 1

Definitely breakfast. There was a place here in town I'd go to that had a "bakery basket" filled with small (not mini) muffins, biscuits, and cinnamon rolls, and homemade jam. It was sooo good. They also had the best coffee anywhere (a piñon roast). Temporarily out of business (lease problems) but they should be coming back soon!

Breakfast, just not in the morning. I could never stand any food until my body had been up a few hours - preferably 3 or 4. The school years were the worst because Mom made me eat, stomach be damned.

• Love 2
(edited)

Chiming in for "breakfast for dinner"!  It upsets my stomach to eat early in the morning, but I love breakfast food. And it's incredibly weird, I know, but I don't think I've ever had brunch. Like, I have no idea what foods you would include in that, or if I could stomach it,

Edited by AltLivia
  • Love 3
And it's incredibly weird, I know, but I don't think I've ever had brunch. Like, I have no idea what foods you would include in that, or if I could stomach it,

Brunch = Breakfast + Lunch. So breakfast foods, a la waffles, pancakes, eggs, muffins, etc. and lunch foods. So if you can stomach any of that, you'd do just fine!  :-)

I've had breakfast for lunch a few times recently. I've been going to Nation's & getting the two egger. In fact, I did it today, mmmmm, sausage.

• Love 1
(edited)

Breakfast, just not in the morning. I could never stand any food until my body had been up a few hours - preferably 3 or 4. The school years were the worst because Mom made me eat, stomach be damned.

I went through the exact same thing.  I am not hungry in the morning and cannot eat until up for 4 hours either.  School mornings were terrible for me, too.  

I hear people saying breakfast is the most important meal of the day.  It is not for everyone!  I love breakfast food later in the day.  

My favorite is snacking...when I can have pieces of cheese or key lime yogurt or something small. I typically fall in love with appetizers or things on the "sides" part of menus...much more than entrees. For lunch today, I had a falafel sandwich I made from a falafel appetizer on a roll and salad, which was really good. I'm about to eat crackers and cheese with blueberries. I'd take this any day over a baked half chicken with roasted vegetables.

I could live on appetizers and sides.  I love how many restaurants are popping up with small plate options.  A big meal with protein, starch and vegetables bores me tears.

And that is one of the reasons Thanksgiving is a boring meal, for me.  I love the flavor profile (as they say) but huge quantities of butter soaked soft food does not interest me.  A sandwich the next day does, though.   I never overeat on this holiday, ever.  

Just last night, for dinner, I had brie on crackers with a sliced pear.  Perfect evening meal!  Sometimes I make myself scallops, deglaze the pan with a little cream and squeeze of lime and cracked pepper and that is it.  On a small plate, 5 large scallops drizzled with a little sauce makes me I feel like I am in a 5 star restaurant.

Edited by wings707
  • Love 4

wings707 - Make extra scallops next time for me!

I love places that have a cheese plate - one of those dishes with a couple of different cheeses, some fruit and some crackers & bread.  I don't keep a lot of cheese in the house, save what my kids eat.  I buy it with the best intentions, but the quantity is usually too much for me and having the right combination of fruit or bread to go with it on hand never seems to align.

• Love 1

wings707 - Make extra scallops next time for me!

I love places that have a cheese plate - one of those dishes with a couple of different cheeses, some fruit and some crackers & bread.  I don't keep a lot of cheese in the house, save what my kids eat.  I buy it with the best intentions, but the quantity is usually too much for me and having the right combination of fruit or bread to go with it on hand never seems to align.

Most cheese freezes well, the harder it is the more successful the result.  I always have a variety on hand but get carried away sometimes!   

• Love 1

Too hard to choose. Love all things eggs...Benedict's, omelets, frittatas, skillets, whatever. But also love sandwiches on good bread whether a grilled cheese, Italian sub, mediterranean pita of some kind or some sort of club on toast or BLT. But then also love steak, shrimp, some fish, pork or whatever with a baked potato and salad or vegetable. Small plates also rule. As does Chinese or Thai or Mexican or Italian or German or Polish...I can go on and on.

Guess I am just a lover of foods, or a huge pig!

I didn't even get into sweets or snacks. I really can't understand those people who just "eat to live."

• Love 2

Chiming in for "breakfast for dinner"! It upsets my stomach to eat early in the morning, but I love breakfast food. And it's incredibly weird, I know, but I don't think I've ever had brunch. Like, I have no idea what foods you would include in that, or if I could stomach it,

That is fascinating to me as I am a greedy cow. I go to bed planning what I'm going to have for breakfast. I can last about 2 hours after my eyes open before I go raving mad for eggs. And please, no coffee. I hate coffee. Ugh.

My peeps - I'm another one whose mom made her eat breakfast at the unholy hour before school started, as I sat there nauseated because my stomach doesn't wake up until a couple of hours after I do.

I'm also among those who love snack foods.  On my own, and especially when hosting a group.  I'm happy to put on a dinner party, but to do a "happy hour" gathering with a bunch of munchies is even better, and a nice way to accommodate myriad tastes.

• Love 1
(edited)

So nice to be in the company of breakfast haters!   If our mothers did not force us to eat breakfast I wonder if we would have been hungry mid morning and not able to focus on school work.  That was their concern.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

I am another one who can't eat early in the morning. My dad did all of the family breakfast prep and Sunday morning was always pancakes. I remember him yelling at me to eat my breakfast before Sunday school and I was crying my eyes out because the heavy sweet food was upsetting my stomach something terrible. Back then, kids were just "acting up."  In fairness, he made great scrambled eggs and when we discovered that I liked and could eat those, he made them for me all the time. I also liked hash browns.

Now it's not a problem, but I prefer to eat around 9 a.m. I usually have a smoothie and maybe one of those crunchy granola bars. Or, I have this wonderful granola by Mason St. Bakehouse with honeyed Greek yogurt and sour cherries. Every now and I'll scramble some eggs with mushrooms, spinach and cheddar cheese. I'm not big on pancakes, waffles, muffins or other breads (except croissants!)

If I have any leftover cream or half n half, I made these strawberry scones with lemon glaze.

• Love 1

I hated breakfast when I was a kid but I think it was more about my parents smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee. I live alone now and most days have no problem with breakfast. However, the smell of coffee and/or cigarettes can make me nauseous.

I definitely don't like a lot of the "breakfast" foods, regardless of what time they're served at. Eggs, sausages, hash browns, waffles, pancakes, orange juice; all make me want to gag, especially early in the morning when I'm not very hungry.

How 'bout breakfast for dinner?

We frequently have breakfast for supper on Sunday nights, whether it's cereal, pancakes, or breakfast tacos. And whenever I go to Cracker Barrel (not often), I always get a breakfast platter, with scrambled eggs, bacon, biscuits and gravy, and grits. Of course, I always have enough to take home for another meal or two.

My kids are grown and gone now but every Friday of their lives we had breakfast for dinner, my husband and I still do and my daughter now does it with her family.

There were 4 of us and we would rotate who would pick the breakfast for that week.

My son liked omelettes, my daughter liked bacon, eggs and hash browns.

There are so many different things you can have for breakfast that having it every Friday never got boring.

This past Friday my husband and I had ham and cheese omelettes and home made hash browns.

Its always my favorite meal of the week.

We called it Brinner.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 3

I like sound of brinner.

We sometimes have a cooked breakfast for dinner.

Not so sure on biscuits & gravy.

being from the UK our idea of biscuits is different to yours lol.

Our biscuits are what u call cookies.  where our cookies are the chocolate chip type.

I had a guilty  pleasure for  breakfast this morning. We got  up at 0 dark hundred to drive to Havre de Grace. My husband is helping our friend deliver his new sailboat to our marina south of Annapolis. I stopped at the Maryland House on I-95 on the way home and had a sausage, egg, and cheese sandwich (with ketchup). The green salad I picked up on the way home for lunch will cancel that breakfast sandwich out, right? :)

• Love 3
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I had a guilty  pleasure for  breakfast this morning. We got  up at 0 dark hundred to drive to Havre de Grace. My husband is helping our friend deliver his new sailboat to our marina south of Annapolis. I stopped at the Maryland House on I-95 on the way home and had a sausage, egg, and cheese sandwich (with ketchup). The green salad I picked up on the way home for lunch will cancel that breakfast sandwich out, right? :)

Absolutely! That isn't even a particularly decadent breakfast in my book. I sometimes hear people say they had a large breakfast and the "large breakfast" is a bowl of oatmeal. I guess lots of people eat next to nothing for breakfast. Now a Denny's Grand Slam is a decadent breakfast.

I'm pretty "meh" about eggs, so don't care much for breakfast or brunch. Cereal, or toast with peanut butter and jam is my breakfast of choice. I do love waffles for an occasional weekend breakfast, though. As for a favorite meal, it's probably dinner on weekdays and lunch on weekends. 

My dad loves bacon, egg, and cheese (with onion) sandwiches.  I don't like egg yolks, so I never joined him in eating these sandwiches growing up.  Fast forward decades, and he's over at my house helping me with something, and wants one of those sandwiches on our break.  So as I'm pondering what to make for myself, I think, "Eh, I'll make another one with just an egg white for me rather than getting out all new ingredients."  Oh my god, that was good!  I mean, how could it not be -- bacon.  cheese. -- but I'd never had one.

My favorite breakfast sandwich, though, is a smashed avocado with bacon. 

Of course, my favorite breakfast is a Bloody Mary, especially during football season.  Making food takes too much time away from the morning game!

• Love 4

Breakfast/brunch for me for sure!!!  I love eggs, I love pork based breakfast meats, biscuits, etc.  I can eat it any time of day, but can't eat sweet items like waffles and pancakes in the morning, it's too much sugar.  I definitely love doughnuts, but also can't eat them until later in the day.  I'm obsessed with overnight oats right now, and savory oatmeal is life.changing. 

Cream of Wheat can suck it, though, it's horrible and I'll never forgive my mother for making me eat it.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, larapu2000 said:

Cream of Wheat can suck it, though, it's horrible and I'll never forgive my mother for making me eat it.

I'll co-sign that the bland regular Cream of Wheat was awful. But the flavored ones like Apples and Cinnamon were pretty good, IMO.

On October 2, 2016 at 10:58 PM, larapu2000 said:

I'm obsessed with overnight oats right now, and savory oatmeal is life.changing. 

Larapu, what is in your savory oatmeal? I am going to try stirring pumpkin purée in mine next week (never added that before), but am interested in what you add to yours? I use Quaker Oats' steel cut long cooking oatmeal. I make a big batch, cool it, and put it in Tupperware to spoon out in portions during the week, add a bit of water and microwave. I tried the overnight oats once and wasn't crazy about the texture. I like the toothsomeness of steel cut.

i have also been on a "toad in the hole" kick lately. I also love butter on a warm boiled egg with s&p.

I'd like to hear about some good savory oatmeal recipes, too.  I don't think I'll ever love oatmeal, but I do like steel-cut okay and I fix the old-fashioned (five minute) kind at least three or four times a week for breakfast.  I've learned to 'doctor' it up with lots of chopped fresh fruit, cinnamon and some toasted chopped almonds.  As far as savory goes, I've only made steel-cut oatmeal cooked with salt and topped with some butter.  I love grits, but stopped eating them because there weren't enough nutrients in them.  Steel-cut oats with salt and butter is as close as I've ever come to the taste, but it has to be steel cut--the old-fashioned or other kinds don't have the right texture to create faux grits.

Edited by BooksRule
1 hour ago, forumfish said:

That's why you add cheese and bacon!

I'm so happy that McDonald's has added the bacon-egg-cheese biscuit to their all-day breakfast menu. I rarely indulge, but they are so good.

My McDonald's All-Day Breakfast "thing" is the Bacon, Egg & Cheese McGriddles. I had 2 (how many I usually get) about a week ago. Yum!

I don't do official meals anymore.  I do small plates for myself.  They could be anything.  Last night I had a BLT salad, the night before I had cottage cheese and a pear.   

Fritters are a go to item for me, when entertaining.  They are a hit at pot luck gatherings be it a meal or snack event or for dinner with a main course salad.   They are special little things. 

Fanny Farmers clam fritter recipe is ideal.  Don't like clams, use corn.   I love them both. 

An electric skillet is all you need to fry anything.  Easy and everyone seems to be impressed.  I love that!  They are insanely easy and fast.   

• Love 1