Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

Ugh.  Now Dominic Thiem has withdrawn.  Federer, Wawrinka, Thiem all withdraw because of injury.  I am solidly on the "Anybody but Novaxx" train.  I can't remember the last time that I loathed a player so much... it might have been 1980s pre-humanization Ivan Lendl?  Back when the media portrayed him as the cold robotic Eastern European.

Nadal seems to be fading as well.  Murray is done.  I just hate that all the "big names" who have dominated the Slams seem to be in the twilight of their careers...except for Novaxx.  I really hope for a flash of brilliance from a youngster who can upend him like in the Olympics.  Or maybe he can have another temper tantrum and hit another line judge.  

• Love 11

Well, color me stupid but I had no idea that Seb Korda is brother to Nelly Korda and Jessica Korda, two female golfing stars. I think Nelly won gold in Tokyo. Of course I realized they have the same last names but I never put 2+2together!

Don’t laugh. You’ll be old someday.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

Well, color me stupid but I had no idea that Seb Korda is brother to Nelly Korda and Jessica Korda, two female golfing stars. I think Nelly won gold in Tokyo. Of course I realized they have the same last names but I never put 2+2together!

I didn't know it either until they interviewed Nelly after she won her gold medal. They mentioned Seb, and I went DUH! 

• LOL 2
14 hours ago, blackwing said:

Ugh.  Now Dominic Thiem has withdrawn.  Federer, Wawrinka, Thiem all withdraw because of injury.  I am solidly on the "Anybody but Novaxx" train.  I can't remember the last time that I loathed a player so much... it might have been 1980s pre-humanization Ivan Lendl?  Back when the media portrayed him as the cold robotic Eastern European.

Yeah, me too. And what makes me crazy is the media attention Djerk is getting about being OMG the best tennis player evah!!!!!! He has no damn competition! No one older than him is healthy and competitive and the younger generations have never been so useless and pathetic.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

I'm old too because I can't look at Seb without thinking of how much he looks like his dad Petr!

• Love 6

Rafa out for the remainder of the year.

Can't say this surprises me at all, though it is disappointing. The moment Rafa flew all the way back to Spain to consult with his doctor, I didn't see him coming back to the U.S.

The good news is there's no talk of a need for surgery so hopefully the time off will help and he'll be healthier next year. I do think Rafa still has at least a good two years left in him, IF he's healthy. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

The good news is there's no talk of a need for surgery so hopefully the time off will help and he'll be healthier next year.

Rafa will never have surgery. He's too terrified of doctors and needles and whatnot. Rather ironic considering all the various injuries he's had. In spite of strains and sprains and torn tendons, the only surgery he's ever had is when he had his appendix removed and even then he tried to put that off and treat it with medication.

I'm rather doubtful he'll ever be able to play top level tennis again but if he can't make it back, I'm glad his last outing was one that emphasized how adored he is by his fans.

• Love 3

Woo child, Sasha was not having Stefanos and his endless "bathroom" break today! He is definitely off Stephanos' Christmas card list. I wonder if Stephanos will have flashbacks to when a similarly ailing Warinka managed to gut out that win over him at the US Open several years ago. 

• Love 1

After the first set, Sasha went to the chair and complained that Stefanos took his bag with him on his long bathroom break so he could text with his dad (who was furiously texting away). He told the chair Stefanos does this all the time. 

I think Sasha was extra irked this time cuz he was not feeling well and was made to wait a LONG time. Then Stefanos came out and starting playing in a way he wasn't before the break, and Sasha lost the set.

Then Stefanos tried to take another bathroom break and the chair said no!

Then Sasha got even sicker in the third set and was down 2 breaks but he vomited and got some meds and came back and won it. It was all pretty wild and an exciting match. 

According to Sasha there are no hard feelings, but the look on Stefanos' face at the net said otherwise. 

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Seedy in what way? 

Sneaky!!  When he took off & it showed his Dad texting ... draw your own conclusion(s).  Just sayin' ... it didn't "look good"!!!

3 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

After the first set, Sasha went to the chair and complained that Stefanos took his bag with him on his long bathroom break so he could text with his dad (who was furiously texting away). He told the chair Stefanos does this all the time. 

I think Sasha was extra irked this time cuz he was not feeling well and was made to wait a LONG time. Then Stefanos came out and starting playing in a way he wasn't before the break, and Sasha lost the set.

Then Stefanos tried to take another bathroom break and the chair said no!

Then Sasha got even sicker in the third set and was down 2 breaks but he vomited and got some meds and came back and won it. It was all pretty wild and an exciting match. 

According to Sasha there are no hard feelings, but the look on Stefanos' face at the net said otherwise. 

Exactly ... I couldn't agree more!!!

On 8/19/2021 at 1:17 PM, roseha said:
On 8/18/2021 at 11:07 PM, Spunkygal said:

I'm old too because I can't look at Seb without thinking of how much he looks like his dad Petr!

They've all mimicked Petr's jumping pose when they won.

Dzl0eiIXQAEMAnW.jpg.61445603b54d12ec352fb53e3d3a078f.jpg

4 hours ago, theatremouse said:

Felix?

Very likable and a lovely looking game.  But he’s got to learn how to win a tournament.

I like Thiem and Shapavalov.

I also kind of like Medvedev, but he’s not exactly cuddly, and I can see he wouldn’t be everyone’s cup of tea.  I was also very disappointed by his non-appearance in the Aussie Final.  There’s also Sinner, Musetti and the aforementioned Korda.  So there are some candidates.

But, yes, Zverev needs to go away until he is thoroughly investigated and cleared (although I suspect that part is unlikely.)

And Tsitsipas needs to lose the pathetic reliance on Daddy and grow up and get a clue about reality:

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/greek-government-pushes-back-tsitsipas-vaccine-comments-2021-08-19/

Edited by Harry24
  • Love 1

😮 Imagine having your government say this [completely accurate statement] about you! Good for Greece.

"He does not have the knowledge and studies to assess the need for vaccinations," government spokesman Giannis Oikonomou was quoted as saying in Greek press reports.

..."he has neither the knowledge nor the studies nor the research work that would allow him to form an opinion about it."

• Love 12

Yes even before reading about the latest cheating incident I was floored by Tsitsipas' astonishingly ignorant/selfish statements on Covid.  Unfortunately he appears to be not the only prominent player not to be vaccinated after all this time.

However I've noticed that several of the Italians:  Berrettini, Sinner and Musetti, are all vaccinated (as well as Roger and Rafa and Andy - and Naomi and Ash Barty and I think Serena).  After all their country went through I'm not surprised but happy to see.

I'm also a fan of Felix and especially Musetti.  Hoping for good things in the future for them even if it takes some time.

Edited by roseha
  • Love 5
28 minutes ago, roseha said:

Unfortunately he appears to be not the only prominent player not to be vaccinated after all this time.

Yes, I think there are a lot. Players can easily get vaccinated at tournaments, too. I know DC, Toronto, and Cincy offered it, but I have only seen a couple of players go public with their shot at a tournament. Hopefully more took advantage but just kept quiet about it. Although fewer than 5 players did it in Toronto (ATP only) per the audio here: https://twitter.com/Weesesports/status/1426954740257132547

• Love 1

Coco G said that it was tougher getting it done while traveling internationally every week than you might think, particularly with the vaccines that involved a second shot.  And there may have also been issues with age-requirements/limitations in different countries.   I was relieved to hear that there wasn’t anti-vaxx sentiment in that family.  They seem too solid and reasonable for that, but you never know.

But I just am beyond my tether with these idiot athletes (and others) who only think about the possible (very remote) ill consequences to themselves, and are seemingly oblivious to the fact that it’s, you know, contagious and any person with a conscience would be at least a little concerned about possibly passing it to others.

• Love 5

I'm watching the Winston-Salem Open right now with a male and a female commentator.  I don't know their names, but the female sounds like a breathy 12 year old and she's worked on several tournaments lately.  I don't like listening to her but, unfortunately, I guess she'll be around.     

• Love 2

I was finding it excruciating, as well! It sounds like she is doing one of those soft, monotone, whispery ASMR recordings designed to soothe anxiety or put you to sleep. I couldn't take, especially as she was talking about Coria who was cramping and fighting his way through the game. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I'm watching the Winston-Salem Open right now with a male and a female commentator.  I don't know their names, but the female sounds like a breathy 12 year old and she's worked on several tournaments lately.  I don't like listening to her but, unfortunately, I guess she'll be around.     

I searched my whole line-up, but couldn't find Winston-Salem anywhere.  What channel/network are you watching & what time(s).  TIA.

1 hour ago, blackwing said:

Is Berrettini healthy enough for the U.S. Open?  I know he withdrew from the Olympics with some kind of thigh injury.  If he's in, I am throwing all of my Anyone-But-Novaxx hopes behind him.

He played in Cincinnati.  (Our Canadian boy, Felix Auger-Aliassime beat him in the Round 16.)  I was VERY surprised!!

Yes, Berrettini should have been on my list above.  He seems like a great guy, and heaven knows he’s easy on the eyes.

I'm watching the Winston-Salem Open right now with a male and a female commentator.  I don't know their names, but the female sounds like a breathy 12 year old and she's worked on several tournaments lately. 

I think this was probably Vania King.  I didn’t notice her doing this particular breathy thing, but she has a high, soft voice.  However, I did think her commentary was a lot more interesting than most. She actually offered a point-of-view, and raised some points that I hadn’t thought of before.  

I enjoyed Taylor Townsend’s in-studio work.  She’s really likable and articulate.  I’m not sure she’s all that insightful, but she was fun.  A lot better than Bouchard, who unfortunately was nearly unrecognizable with the buckets of makeup she was wearing.  It was so distracting I found it hard to concentrate on what she was saying.

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, Harry24 said:

I think this was probably Vania King.  I didn’t notice her doing this particular breathy thing, but she has a high, soft voice.  However, I did think her commentary was a lot more interesting than most. She actually offered a point-of-view, and raised some points that I hadn’t thought of before.  

Well, we do have different ears, lol.  Her commentary might be good but I can't listen to her because her voice is so annoying to my ears.  When I know she's going to be commentating on a particular tournament, I stop watching.  Thankfully, I don't think she's experienced or well known enough to be working a Slam. 

I almost feel like I don't need to watch the Open anymore. I mean...I almost certainly WILL. There are other players I like. It's just starting to feel like so many players aren't participating, will I even recognize half the field?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

I almost feel like I don't need to watch the Open anymore. I mean...I almost certainly WILL. There are other players I like. It's just starting to feel like so many players aren't participating, will I even recognize half the field?

Time marches on & the "young guns" are slowly climbing in the ratings as the "Big 3" tap out (sadly).

• Love 3

Venus also out of the Open now. 😬

Ben Rothenberg published part 2 of Sharypova's story in Slate and also explained some of the delay on Twitter, which was the loss of his dad.

Still don't know what Rolex is thinking but glad to see more people in tennis speak up. Andy Roddick also addressed how Zverev is treated with kid gloves by the media on more than one issue, pointing out how much more scrutiny Osaka and Kyrgios get. For everything.

• Love 5
On 8/25/2021 at 1:00 PM, Medicine Crow said:

Time marches on & the "young guns" are slowly climbing in the ratings as the "Big 3" tap out (sadly).

The only problem with this is that I'm pretty sure Djokovic counts as one of those Big 3 and not one of these young guns have proven their ability to beat him consistently.

He's sitting pretty solidly at the top of the men's game at the moment. So you'll excuse me if I'm not ready to declare a coronation for said young guns. But hey, I'll be happy to be proven wrong in the next week or two. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, theatremouse said:

I think you may be misreading desire for Djokavic to be dethroned as prediction that he will?

If you're talking about my post, I wasn't saying I don't luuuuuv watching Novak play ... just that some of "older" guys are having physical issues (not that the young guns don't).

12 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

In news that should make this board happy, I read that Kenin is out of the Open due to Covid.

I'm sorry that Sophia is out due to Covid, but I love watching her lack of self control.  Whoa, she has a temper!!!

Edited by Medicine Crow
Grammar

Also, I'll never not love John Isner!!!  His game in Cincinnati with Benoit Paire, when John mis-hit the ball into his side of the net & then almost fell over the net ... he burst out laughing, along with Paire.  It was so funny & it's nice to see a sense of humour so close to the surface!!!

One of the nice things about recording the tennis and then watching it is that I don't have to suffer through the "dramatic" opening or endless discussions of Novaxx on ESPN. I can just fast forward to actual tennis.

• Love 5