Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, shok said:

It's the genital bone defect in his foot. It started acting up in the FO match again 

Thank you so much for the info, shok.  May I ask where you learned this?  Did they mention it during the broadcast?  I was so bummed at how the match was going I didn’t watch a lot of it.

(edited)
10 hours ago, Harry24 said:

Thank you so much for the info, shok.  May I ask where you learned this?  Did they mention it during the broadcast?  I was so bummed at how the match was going I didn’t watch a lot of it.

Coming back from commercial my feed just showed a quick video of the trainers hands cutting the tape off his foot and ankle. The idiot commentators were saying 'oh, isn't that good, he didn't get it retaped so he can run now.'  Meanwhile, his movement was obviously compromised. 🙄

As I noted, he was asked about it by the Spanish press but he didn't want to make excuses and said it was just his old injury acting up again. It was translated and posted by Genny_ss but totally ignored by the English media. (I will refrain from posting my thoughts about the English speaking media.)

Edited by shok
  • Love 1

I cannot off the top of head remember a time I was this uninterested in a Grand Slam. I honestly didn't even realize until Friday that Wimbledon was starting tomorrow. I just can't find much to be excited about here. 

Outside of a "come from nowhere" upset, Djokovic looks to run away with the men's side considering not a one of these guys can truly challenge him, at least not in Best of 5. And the women's side is a complete "who the hell knows" seeing as none of these women are consistent. So we'll get some random ass finalists as we did at Roland Garros. 

• Love 7

I want to see Roger's last Wimbledon (if it comes to that) as well.  I really hope that he ends up playing the stylish young Lorenzo Musetti in the last 16.  That would be some grass court matchup!

Other than that, yes, I am not really excited.  On the women's side it's very hard to predict I agree. It's nice that Ash Barty will be wearing as a tribute an outfit inspired by the one Evonne Goolagong wore at her first Wimbledon victory 50 years ago.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Venus Williams and Nick Kyrgios playing mixed doubles. I don't know where I am with that.

Nick has become a totally different person in the year since covid began. Let's see how that translates to the court. 😁

• Love 3
2 hours ago, roseha said:

I want to see Roger's last Wimbledon (if it comes to that) as well.  

It's nice that Ash Barty will be wearing as a tribute an outfit inspired by the one Evonne Goolagong wore at her first Wimbledon victory 50 years ago.

Thank goodness, NBC isn’t covering Wimby, as Roger’s last Wimbledon match might have ended up on effing Peacock like his last Roland Garros match did.

That’s awesome about Ash honoring Evonne.  EG was one of my favorite players when I was a kid.  So smooth, lovely and creative.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Nick has become a totally different person in the year since covid began. Let's see how that translates to the court. 😁

I love when Nick drags Novak, but at the same time, Nick's an asshole. Just comparing how I feel about him to how I feel about MyKayla Sinner (gymnast). She made some low grade racist tweets 5 years ago, and I'm not ready to give her a pass. I don't want to give Nick a pass because he's male and somewhat charming. 

(edited)
2 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Tiafoe! Kicking Tsitsipas’ butt! Keep rolling, big guy! Love the support he got from the crowd. 

I love Francis, but does he HAVE to beat the one guy who had a shot against ND?  Sigh.  This season sucks.  

Am I forgetting someone who might have a chance?  Maybe Medvedev?  Zverev?  Sigh.  That fuc*&-er is going to win the effing Grand Slam, isn’t he?

Also sad for Petra (my favorite in the ladies) but happy for Sloane.  I don’t love Sloane’s personality, but I LOVE her beautiful, flowing game, and it would be so great to have her back at the top of the sport where her talent belongs.

I totally forgot I still have a favorite in the ladies (equal to Petra): Coco!!!!!

Edited by Harry24
  • Love 2

I love Francis, too, but at the end when he was picking up all those towels, I kept yelling "pick up the damn towels!"  It took him so long and the guy was patiently waiting to interview him.   

I do wish he had beat someone else, because I think Tsitipas would have had a better chance of beating Djoker than Tiafoe.  

Nick and Venus.  Meh to both of them.

53 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Andy Murray is making an awful lot of work for himself.  Holy moly.

He started rushing and Basilashvili who at that point was already in a deep hole and had nothing to lose was playing with less pressure. 

But um on a more important note, why are there all these maskless people in the stands? Didn't England just have some significant increases in cases due to the new Delta variant? Even the French was still limiting the number of spectators in the stands. 

1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

But um on a more important note, why are there all these maskless people in the stands? Didn't England just have some significant increases in cases due to the new Delta variant? Even the French was still limiting the number of spectators in the stands. 

They kept saying that attendance was limited to 50%, but at centre court, except for some empty seats up high and at the far end, it sure didn’t look like it to me. Unless they meant attendance at the facility as a whole?

• Love 1

I also don't love seeing all those people together without masks. I did some digging around Wimbledon.com and found that the grounds are at 50% capacity right now, and supposedly Centre Court is as well. Attendees have to show proof of vaccination or "natural immunity" (prior infection) or show a negative test result <48 hours old. Everyone must wear masks when out on the grounds but don't have to when seated. The site is hoping to increase capacity later in the tournament. The UK's vaccination rate is here: https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

• Useful 1

I didn’t get to see the match, but I was thinking that Roger is in a really tough situation psychologically versus excellent players like Mannarino, who are really good but not quite good enough to make the very top, and now have a better than realistic shot at beating ROGER FEDERER AT WIMBLEDON.  It will likely be the biggest achievement of their careers and absolutely achievable given Roger’s weakened state.  And there are a LOT of fantastic players in that category.

Such a shame that Mannarino was injured and had to retire.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Harry24 said:

I didn’t get to see the match, but I was thinking that Roger is in a really tough situation psychologically versus excellent players like Mannarino, who are really good but not quite good enough to make the very top, and now have a better than realistic shot at beating ROGER FEDERER AT WIMBLEDON.  It will likely be the biggest achievement of their careers and absolutely achievable given Roger’s weakened state.  And there are a LOT of fantastic players in that category.

Such a shame that Mannarino was injured and had to retire.

I’d love to have seen how that fifth set would have gone. I’m a Fed fan but feel so bad for Mannarino. 

• Love 4
(edited)

The colors of the logo on Nick’s strings make it look like he’s playing with a pepperoni pizza! I hate the curfew thing. Let them finish this final set!

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 1
(edited)

Ah, it's too bad, Goddess on a Mountaintop! Venus is about to go down.  Down a set and losing 5-0 in the second, so it's all but over.  This could be it for her this year, who knows.  It's been fun watching her play... she still always looks so peaceful and calm on the court.  Huge contrast versus the more fiery Serena.

On the positive side, we lost both Kenin and Danielle Collins within the same hour.

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, blackwing said:

On the positive side, we lost both Kenin and Danielle Collins within the same hour.

On the positive side, we lost both Sandgren and CoCo Van within the same day.

• Love 4

It happens every year. I don't think we're anywhere near the number of withdrawals/retirements due to injury that happened week 1 a few years ago. Gosh, I can't remember what year it was, maybe 2017? but I remember feeling like they were dropping like flies. It's not that bad this time.

I'm watching Kyrgios and Venus play doubles.  Every single comment Nick makes sends the crowd into fits of giggles.  He just said "I can't serve today mate" and the crowd cracked up.  What am I missing?  Is the crowd just so giddy from being there, live and in-person, free from masks?  It's as annoying as an overdone laugh track on a sitcom.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, CouchTater said:

I'm watching Kyrgios and Venus play doubles.  Every single comment Nick makes sends the crowd into fits of giggles.  He just said "I can't serve today mate" and the crowd cracked up.  What am I missing?  Is the crowd just so giddy from being there, live and in-person, free from masks?  It's as annoying as an overdone laugh track on a sitcom.

I can understand him being popular in Australia because that's his birthplace, but they seem to love him at Wimbledon for reasons I don't understand.  I don't remember if he played in the French Open, but the crowd reaction to him at the US Open should be interesting.  Unfortunately, he'll be headlining the Citi Open in DC since he won there in 2019.  I won't be attending this year because of limited seating, and I don't mind.

• Love 1
(edited)

A microcosm of how Britain curses sportsmen and women before they've even started:

Emma Raducanu is 333rd in the world, she's eighteen and she did her A-levels just a few weeks ago. She was given a wildcard into Wimbledon and made her debut on court 18.

She wins and then wins again, and then she's on Court 1 for her third round match, with the commentators alternating between talking about how inexperienced she is and suggesting that "Henman Hill" will one day be renamed "Raducanu Ridge." Then she wins and the commentator shouts "we have a new tennis star!"

For fucks sake. This poor girl is having the hopes of an entire sporting nation foisted onto her shoulders and she hasn't even had time to stop and think about the fact anyone knows who she is.

This is why we produce so few stars, in any sports. The pressure we put on them right out of the gate is just impossible to deal with.

Okay, she looks like she has a ton of potential and it's great to see, but just let her play tennis and not be the face of her first ever tournament.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

I like Queen as much as the average person, but OMG did ESPN not license anything else for Wimbledon? I think I've heard that same song two thousand times in the past week.

IKR? It's in my head as I type this lol! The only thing I'm not enjoying about watching Wimbledon. And just to clarify, I too like Queen as much as the next person. I've basically started using the mute button.

• Love 1

Did anyone watch Roger’s match against Hurkacz?  Did Roger run out of gas?  Did it appear his movement just wasn’t up to it?  I had noticed in previous matches that he was noticeably slower moving out to his forehand and assumed that was because of his knee(s).

I certainly didn’t expect Roger to win the whole thing but I also certainly didn’t think he’d lose a match in straight sets. I can’t wait to see the post-match conference. 

Just now, Spunkygal said:

I certainly didn’t expect Roger to win the whole thing but I also certainly didn’t think he’d lose a match in straight sets. I can’t wait to see the post-match conference. 

Plus a 3rd set bagel.  Oof.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Harry24 said:

Did anyone watch Roger’s match against Hurkacz?  Did Roger run out of gas?  Did it appear his movement just wasn’t up to it?  I had noticed in previous matches that he was noticeably slower moving out to his forehand and assumed that was because of his knee(s).

Just got outplayed from what I saw. I mean I'm sure he's a step or two slower just based on age and coming from the injury but in general, he didn't seem that different than the previous rounds.

Hubert had a big serve and groundstrokes but also moved very well for such a tall guy and was pretty impressive at the net. 

57 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

I'm probably at a table for one, but I was thrilled to see Hurkacz take out Federer. 

I'm mostly indifferent and am more baffled at the seeming overreaction and stunned response to it happening. Yes, Roger had some nice wins in the previous rounds but the bottom line is this man is still near 40 and coming off an injury and months of little play. He was not winning this thing. 

Honestly, at this point, I'm starting to get annoyed at the shit coverage. Again it's clear the tennis media thinks this is damn near the apocalypse but there are some of us interested in the other quarterfinals.

By all account, Kachanov vs. Shapovolov was a really good match but I can't tell you much about it since they barely cared to show even one set. And Felix and Berrettini are in a battle right now and they're all stuck in the studio to discuss Federer's "shocking" loss. It's annoying. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1