Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

Just now, Spunkygal said:

ESPN2 has the other matches. I watched all of Shapovalov and am watching FAA now.

Thanks. Yeah just noticed this. I guess I should have known this as they've done it this way the past few years. 

6 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Just got outplayed from what I saw. I mean I'm sure he's a step or two slower just based on age and coming from the injury but in general, he didn't seem that different than the previous rounds.

Hubert had a big serve and groundstrokes but also moved very well for such a tall guy and was pretty impressive at the net. 

Even now, they are split-screening the Berrettini / Auger-Allissime match with Roger's press conference, which I can predict will be "I wasn't playing my best. I'll be back next year."

I'm mostly indifferent and am more baffled at the seeming overreaction and stunned response to it happening. Yes, Roger had some nice wins in the previous rounds but the bottom line is this man is still near 40 and coming off an injury and months of little play. He was not winning this thing. 

Honestly, at this point, I'm starting to get annoyed at the shit coverage. Again it's clear the tennis media thinks this is damn near the apocalypse but there are some of us who were interested in the other quarterfinals.

By all account, Kachanov vs. Shapovolov was a really good match but I can't tell you much about it since they're barely cared to show even one set. And Felix and Berrettini are in a battle right now and they're all stuck in the studio to discuss Federer's "shocking" loss. It's annoying. 

I've been annoyed for days. I mean, there are other players in this tournament not named Federer. Or Djoker for that matter. And it's freaking rude AF (IMO) to spend 99.5% of the commentary talking about Roger, who's record and career are one for the ages, but is clearly headed for retirement.

It was satisfying though to see Hubert shut up the trained seals clapping and cheering for Federer to the point of obnoxiousness at time and the commentators. Especially Gilbert, who assumed Federer would win set #2 after losing the first handily or his "ooh, he's in trouble" when there was an early game where Hubert was 30-30. Just shuddup, ya putz. 

2 hours ago, Harry24 said:

Did anyone watch Roger’s match against Hurkacz?  Did Roger run out of gas?  Did it appear his movement just wasn’t up to it?  

He didn't seem to run out of gas. And it didn't really seem like a movement problem. He made a crap ton of unforced errors. Shots he'd normally easily flick down the line or into the corner flew wide. He just played badly in a handful of different ways.

I was rooting for Felix, but I guess I'm team Shapo now? I don't necessarily think he can take out Djok the way both of them have been playing, but who knows? Maybe a couple of points will go against Novak - or the crowd will be against him for ten minutes - he'll throw a couple hissy fits and default himself again? I'd be fine with that. The man needs more consequences.

• Love 2

I've been a fan of Roger since 2004 but I'm not surprised he wasn't able to win today - I wasn't home to see it but I had thought he was possibly going to lose to Mannarino in the first round before Mannarino got hurt.  He's played very little this year after all.   And I had watched Hurkacz beating Lorenzo Musetti in the first round and saw how tough his serve was to return.  Maybe his serve overwhelmed Roger? 

It's sad that Roger's gone out but he has 8 titles and hopefully he can look back on that with satisfaction.

I hope Shapo will have a chance against Novak, who knows.  Sorry for Felix but he did well to get there at his age.

I did see a little of Leo Borg's match in the boy's event last night on ESPN plus.  The camera work was terrible - hard to watch either player very well but hopefully he will do well enough that I can get another glimpse of him someday.

• Love 4

Really enjoyed Shapovolov/Kachanov. They both wanted it so bad. Lots of momentum shifts and some great tennis. In his on-court interview, Shapo said that even though Novak is the greatest player in the world, when they walk on the court, the score will be 0-0, and he has a chance! That's right young man, you go for it! 

• Love 7

The Shapovolov/Khachanov match was great. I was getting antsy when the umpire overruled several line calls in the crucial final games. I was praying the match didn't turn on a botched call or a replayed point.

Add me to the group who won't have to be talked off the ledge because Fed lost. I like the guy, but he's won 20 slams and made a bazillion gazillion dollars. I'm happy to see an up-and-comer play well and get a big opportunity.

I was bummed FAA lost, but I think it's just a matter of time and experience before he has a breakthrough. 

• Love 3

It's been a long time since I've watched tennis because I found the "grunting" was just so unbearable.  However, I turned on the TV today and it happened to be the Plishova/Sabalenka match.  I was shocked at the end when the loser walked off without waiting for the winner.  Has this become the norm?

That's what's happened in every match I've watched in the past three years. They do on court interviews with the winner immediately after the match. So it wouldn't make much sense for the loser to stand around. 

• Love 3

On-court interviews are new to Wimbledon this year. We'll see if they keep doing that after the pandemic (supposedly that's why they are doing them--more room to social distance on court). Kerber and Stojanovic started walking off together after their 1st round match because they didn't know things had changed, and they were stopped. Stojanovic ended up staying for Kerber's interview! Video of the interview is here , though it doesn't show them almost walking off and being stopped.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

That was a great semifinal match between Ash Barty and Angie Kerber.   I hope Ash is able to win the title on Saturday.  Her grass court game is so great to watch and her outfit as tribute to Evonne Goolagong is touching.

As for the men, I'd be happy with Denis, Matteo, or "HuHu".

• Love 5

I was rooting for Hubert but I am happy for Berrittini. 

And taking a dip in the shallow pool, he's easy on the eyes. It will make it that much more enjoyable watching him beat Djoker in the final. Unless Shapalov beats him to it.

• Love 3

He's not exactly getting steamrolled though. He's had his chances. Should've won the first. It's probably eating him.

Separately, it's very odd that ESPN just chose to show a graphic that says Shapo is lifetime 0-6 "Against the World #1". That implies it's his h2h against anyone who happened to be #1 at the time he played them, when really it's his h2h again ND, who is presently #1. I guess, who knows, maybe Shapo hasn't played anyone else who was #1 at the time, but it's a stupid way to frame it.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

Poor Denis. I hated seeing him cry, but he's young and he gave Djoker a good run and I think we'll see him much more from him.

That was rough. I think Denis has a ton of potential, but he's not quite there yet in terms of keeping his head and his game together in the tight moments. Too many double faults, great points followed by dumb errors, easy volleys dumped in the net, etc. 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

That was rough. I think Denis has a ton of potential, but he's not quite there yet in terms of keeping his head and his game together in the tight moments. Too many double faults, great points followed by dumb errors, easy volleys dumped in the net, etc. 

That's the story of most of the young players against the Big 3. Taking nothing away from Rafa, Novak and Federer of course but a big part of why their dominance has been what it is, is because many of these younger players either lack the mental toughness or physical fitness to truly go toe to toe with them in a Best of 5. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

It's also helpful for us westcoasters who don't want to get up at 6am on the weekend. 😁

I used to do that — when I lived in Portland. 😆

Dang it, Denis! But don't be too hard on yourself. You were RIGHT THERE. You should have won the first set, and you were IN all of the sets. It was not an embarrassment. Now you know what you are facing. Remove gluten from your diet immediately and get about 100% more mentally strong and you will get him next time! 

Come on Berrettini!!!

• Love 2
(edited)

I was so happy to see Barty win the final.  She must have wanted it so much as an Australian especially, and in honor of Goolagong's victory 50 years ago, and  Plishkova was making it so close after the first set.  But Barty has such a great all court game and it was so great to see her stay calm and come through in the end.  Congrats to her!

By the way the great Hsieh Su-Weh is playing in the women's doubles final and I am going to be sure to record that one - I think it's tomorrow after the men's final?* She is an amazing talent to watch.

Good luck to Matteo!

*Actually the women's doubles is on now, it looks like another tight match in progress!

Edited by roseha
  • Love 2
(edited)
32 minutes ago, roseha said:

I was so happy to see Barty win the final.  She must have wanted it so much as an Australian especially, and in honor of Goolagong's victory 50 years ago, and  Plishkova was making it so close after the first set.  But Barty has such a great all court game and it was so great to see her stay calm and come through in the end.  Congrats to her!

By the way the great Hsieh Su-Weh is playing in the women's doubles final and I am going to be sure to record that one - I think it's tomorrow after the men's final? She is an amazing talent to watch.

Good luck to Matteo!

The ladies doubles final is now on ESPN!

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 1

I am also happy for Ash but glad that Pliskova won the second set to make it more of a match. I think Chrissie said that by the time the season wraps up, Ash will have been away from home for 7 months due to restrictions and reminded us that the American and European players can usually see friends and loved ones since our restrictions are more relaxed. I can only imagine how difficult this season must be for Ash, but that championship makes it worthwhile.

#Team ABN

• Love 4
(edited)

C’mon, Matteo, in about an hour you have ONE JOB! Please don’t get overwhelmed by the setting, don’t let your opponent pound you in the ground, keep your head about you, and serve the crap out of that ball. You have many more supporters than you realize, so get your cute buns out there and win this thing! 😘

Edited by Spunkygal
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Well shit. 

Yep. Novaxx was just too fierce for Matteo. That was a great first set and I had hope. It was a good growth experience for him and perhaps he can get it done next year. Someone is going to have to step up and take out Novaxx. I hope someone ruins the US Open for him. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

Yep. Novaxx was just too fierce for Matteo. That was a great first set and I had hope. It was a good growth experience for him and perhaps he can get it done next year. Someone is going to have to step up and take out Novaxx. I hope someone ruins the US Open for him. 

Maybe he can do it himself again. 

• Love 2

Well fuck. Matteo did well. If he'd just had a little bit more. Of course, I'm sure Novak had 3 more gears waiting to be employed if necessary. 

Credit where it's due. Novak deserves to tie up with Nadal and Fed on the wins. He is a great player, and continues to be the most consistent.

All of the young 'uns have now experienced what it will take to beat him. Surely one will have the tenacity and commitment to do whatever it takes to get to that rarefied echelon where they can beat him. ...and plus also give up gluten. : D

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Credit where it's due. Novak deserves to tie up with Nadal and Fed on the wins. He is a great player, and continues to be the most consistent.

Oh pshaw. No credit is due. Nobody's been luckier than Djerk in his career with his lack of competition. Fed was for a couple of years when he first started winning and he had opponents like Philippoussis and Roddick and Bagdatis. Djerk has never had a younger generation to push him and hasn't had any opposition coming up in the ranks to challenge him and most of his opponents were old and/or injured.

Fed had Rafa and Novak to contend with and Rafa had Djerk and Andy Murray and several others like DelPotro. If the two of them had been able to cruise the way Djokovic has, they'd both have thirty slams each.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I loved the fact that Matteo was happily cheering on Italy a few hours after the Wimbledon final, looking happy and unbothered. Yes, it's never fun to lose but hopefully he takes it as a learning experience and a step in the right direction. He now knows he has what it takes to make it to a Slam Final and he didn't give up or let the moment overwhelm him. Upwards and onwards. 

• Love 7

According to Fed’s Twitter, he has experienced a setback with his knee and is withdrawing from the Olympics. Even without the knee issue, I doubt he would have gone to Tokyo without Mirka and the kids. But will the knee be okay for the US Open? This Fed fan sadly thinks not. He will be 40 in August and I can tell you that as someone who does not have excessive wear and tear on the knees, it is shocking how the body changes beginning around 40. YMMV, but it’s almost like a clock goes off and the body says screw you. Even if you exercise and do yoga regularly, it’s still a bitch to see how the body is slower to respond. All this to say, I expect a retirement announcement from him in the not too distant future. He won’t want to compete if he doesn’t think he has a chance against the young ‘uns or against He Who Shall Not Be Named. #ABN.  I will be interested to see how Sebastian Korda develops and matures. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I was a big fan of Stefan Edberg and I seem to remember that when he let it be known he was retiring there would be a big to do made of it at each tournament he played.  After he lost badly to Goran at the USO they announced the creation of the Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award for example.  I don’t know if I am just speculating, but perhaps when he and Roger were working together Stefan might have suggested that Roger not do a farewell tour when the time comes, so to speak.  So maybe Roger is planning to retire this year but wants to wait on the announcement.    I know how much he loves to play but I imagine he has to balance that out with the rest of his life, and the fact that he is 40 as you say @Spunkygal.  There will never be another player like him that’s for sure.

• Love 4