Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

Phew.  Roger (my man) looked much, much better tonight.  Not as good as the online analysts (Robbie Konig and someone I didn't recognize) were saying, but much better.

Can't disagree about Coco.  I saw her in a World Team Tennis tie a few summers ago, and she was incredibly unpleasant.  I really enjoy her game, powerful, athletic and forward moving, and wish more women played like her.  But I just can't with the obnoxiousness.  I gather she and Keys were/are good friends, which is a point in her favor because I think Madison seems pretty nice.

So who do you guys think will be the men's finalist from the bottom half?  My money is on Shapovalov.

Edited by Harry24
Spelling of "Shapovalov"
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, Harry24 said:

Phew.  Roger (my man) looked much, much better tonight.  Not as good as the online analysts (Robbie Konig and someone I didn't recognize) were saying, but much better.

Can't disagree about Coco.  I saw her in a World Team Tennis tie a few summers ago, and she was incredibly unpleasant.  I really enjoy her game, powerful, athletic and forward moving, and wish more women played like her.  But I just can't with the obnoxiousness.  I gather she and Keys were/are good friends, which is a point in her favor because I think Madison seems pretty nice.

So who do you guys think will be the men's finalist from the bottom half?  My money is on Shapavolov.

I'd love to see Shapavolov make a run, but it will be interesting to see if he can handle the pressure. 

I also agree about Roger. He looked much better than he did in his previous matches, but he wasn't exactly playing lights out either. I think the analysts were a little over-eager in their hero worship. He's definitely vulnerable, especially if his next opponent can drag him out to five sets.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Harry24 said:

So who do you guys think will be the men's finalist from the bottom half?  My money is on Shapovalov.

Might come down to talent versus experience. I've really fallen for Shapovalov this tournament and would love to see him get through. I would also love to see Querrey make a run. He's playing as well as he ever has--but he needs to reduce some of those erratic errors to have a chance. I think he believes he can do it, though, after his successful summer. I think whoever wins tonight's match has a good shot at going all the way.

That said, before yesterday's Fed match I would have said the bottom half finalist also has a shot to win the whole thing, as both Fed and Nadal seemed a bit rusty. But Roger looked eons better last night than he did in his first two rounds.

• Love 1

I'm rooting for Shapovalov, too. 

Fed looked great against poor Lopez, but I don't think he will hold up against a determined Rafa. Speaking of, if I may, what is going on with Rafa's hair? I don't mean that it's thinning a bit, I mean, it looks like it maybe needs, I don't know, conditioner, or product, or something. 

• Love 1

Shapovalov definitely looks like the real deal and hopefully he delivers on all the expectations because let's face it, the game needs some new stars. Fed, Rafa and company can only hang on for so long. 

41 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Fed looked great against poor Lopez, but I don't think he will hold up against a determined Rafa.

I still don't think they'll even meet in the semi so it really won't matter anyway. There are only so many times Rafa is going to get out of playing so nervous and tight for the first couple of games. The tougher the opponents get, he may not be able to keep pulling himself out of the hole. I just keep hoping that with each win, he's going to relax more and be less nervous and tight at the start of these matches. 

Federer still doesn't look a hundred percent in my opinion, so I'm not ready to think it's an automatic win for him against Kohlschreiber and then he potentially meets Thiem in the quarterfinals. 

Speaking of, if I may, what is going on with Rafa's hair? I don't mean that it's thinning a bit, I mean, it looks like it maybe needs, I don't know, conditioner, or product, or something. 

It's probably all the tension and nerves. It's affecting his hair, lol. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Speaking of, if I may, what is going on with Rafa's hair? I don't mean that it's thinning a bit, I mean, it looks like it maybe needs, I don't know, conditioner, or product,

His hair drives me crazy. It's not curly, yet not straight and it has this wispy texture with no discernable style. He must inherit the baldness from his mother's side though, because it looks like Uncle Tony and Rafa's father have full heads of hair.

• Love 1

Well Shapovalov is out. I definitely think his youth and inexperience showed today. He absolutely should have won that first set and when he didn't, he didn't have the maturity and experience to just shake it off in the second set, causing him to get down a break early. He did well to get the break back but at that point Carreno Busta knew exactly what he had to do to win the match. 

• Love 2

I was rooting so hard for Denis, but I agree his youth showed when it came to the big points. Carreno Busta wasn't as entertaining to watch, but he was definitely the steadier player. I have to say though, once these guys like Shapovalov and Tiafoe get some experience under their belts, they're going to be very dangerous. It's refreshing to see all this new talent emerging after being force-fed a steady diet of the same four guys.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I have to say though, once these guys like Shapovalov and Tiafoe get some experience under their belts, they're going to be very dangerous. It's refreshing to see all this new talent emerging after being force-fed a steady diet of the same four guys.

Amen!

• Love 2
15 hours ago, theatremouse said:

.That said, I wouldn't count out the elder Zverev.

Mischa looks like he's playing with zero pressure, so who knows?  I actually wouldn't rule him out as a finalist.   I do hope that Roger's continued improvement bodes well for his chances.  Frankly I had thought the odds of him winning a third slam this year would be difficult anyway regardless of his back...but if he is confident and can peak at the right time, I do actually think it's possible now.

Edited by roseha

I'm so so happy for Petra.  I agree she is just a lovely person and I'm stunned that it took Sharapova's loss for ESPN to give the proper support to players like Petra and Venus.  In any event, it was so great to see Petra raise her game like the champion she is.

I agree it's awful she has to play Venus next.  That ought to be the final, but there you are.

• Love 4

Shapovolov needs work. He was all mini spurts and slumps. And his mood/energy seemed to follow suit. No consistency. And he can't seem to dial it back when it would suit him. He'll get there. 

Glad a more nuanced player took out Sharapova. 

Wanted to get you guys input on something that's always interested me. The players seem to be getting more and more sensitive about movement and noise in the crowd, stopping play quite frequently to wait for or even ask the chair to make people sit down and such. Now I know tennis requires strong focus and hand/eye/body movement coordination and all that. ...but... so does football, boxing, basketball, baseball, soccer, hockey, etc and during those games the crowd is constantly moving and screaming at the top of their lungs. If the crowd was ground level I could see where movement would get confusing, but on most of the courts they are up above the players so are not going to be confused for the other player. I'm just wondering why it's such a thing in tennis. Having said that, I do appreciate a quiet, respectful crowd. 

TVbitch, my guess is that it has a lot to do with the US Open in general and Ashe stadium in particular.   I say this as a New Yorker, who has been to the tournament a few times over the years, there is no question that the crowd often loves to hear itself make noise.  There are times when they want an upset just for the drama of it, there are other times when they seem to switch their support from one player to another just to make things more exciting.  There have always been certain non-American players - Borg was one - who did not take well to the loud crowds, then there is Federer who doesn't seem bothered by it at all.

My understanding is that the players need to hear the sound of the ball coming off the strings of the other player's racquet, to judge how it is being hit.  Of course, the screaming of a player like Sharapova also disrupts that  sound, but no one has enforced any limit on her noise as of yet.

• Love 2

Lmfaooooo. Okay, I know CoCo is the most off-putting woman, but I busted out laughing when Pam asked what it meant to have so many American women left in the draw and CoCo responded that tennis was a singular sport and you really only focus on yourself. Definitely not the P.C. answer, but it was the truth and I'm glad she didn't give the fake, canned speech about how great it was for American tennis, blah, blah, blah.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, khyber said:

Fortunately I have ESPN3 so I can watch the del Po and Thiem 5th set live.  I understand Roger is THE star but focusing on his 1st set vs the thriller on the next court is all kinds of wrong.

Their coverage has really been shit with stuff like this. It's like they have some rule that they are not allowed to leave Ashe coverage at all. I mean seriously, the second set for Federer's match just started. Nothing will be lost by switching to del Potro/Thiem's match that is literally at the edge of your seat stage. Not to mention that that match should have been on Ashe or Louis Armstrong anyway. And looks like Kohlschreiber's just about to fold completely to Federer so we're really not missing much there.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, khyber said:

Fortunately I have ESPN3 so I can watch the del Po and Thiem 5th set live.  I understand Roger is THE star but focusing on his 1st set vs the thriller on the next court is all kinds of wrong.

I was at my in-laws all afternoon so I didn't get to see the tennis, but I HATE when ESPN does this. True tennis fans would rather see a competitive match over a blowout that happens to feature a big name.

I remember a while back at the French they cut away from a women's match on the outer courts that was at 10-10 in the third, to show Rafa demolishing some qualifier in straights. It was ridiculous.

On 9/3/2017 at 10:04 PM, BitterApple said:

I'm so happy for Petra, but heartbroken that she has to play Venus the next round. They're both my sentimental favorites and I don't want either one to lose :(

This is just an impossible match to pick one to cheer for over the other. Impossible.  I'm obviously going to be cheering for whoever wins to go further, but I'm curious where my heart will land during the match, sometimes it surprises me.  Venus for all she has done to get back in form over the years after her diagnosis or Petra, coming back so beautifully from the horrible attack.  I'm hoping it is a fantastic match and that I remember to take a moment or seven during it to realize what a wonder it is that they each have come so far and overcome their own hurdles to land in this match at this point. 

• Love 5

Roger tweeted a gif last night that said something like "Juan Martin del THORtro" and Juan's racket turned into Thor's hammer and the ball smashed into the court with a forehand winner.  It was really cute and if I could figure out how to put tweets up by the phone I would share with everyone.

• Love 1

Thank God you can stream any match from the ESPN website. That was a barn-burner! Del Potro is such a gentle giant. 

Good Lord, this Busta/Shwartzman match seems like both drank some Nyquil beforehand. I can't even watch. Even the commentator was like, "This is a weird match, it's like nothing is going on." Indeed. 

Edited by TVbitch
  • Love 1
On 9/2/2017 at 5:15 PM, TVbitch said:

And, as adorable as she is, I'm pretty sure Tim Gunn would advise her to remove at least one row of ruffles. (less is more)  :) 

I apologize for not being able to tell if you knew this or not, but she did cut off some ruffles on a changeover!

On 9/4/2017 at 0:29 PM, TVbitch said:

Wanted to get you guys input on something that's always interested me. The players seem to be getting more and more sensitive about movement and noise in the crowd, stopping play quite frequently to wait for or even ask the chair to make people sit down and such.

Ashe, at least, is loud all the time now that it has the roof, even when open.

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Roger tweeted a gif last night that said something like "Juan Martin del THORtro" and Juan's racket turned into Thor's hammer and the ball smashed into the court with a forehand winner.  It was really cute and if I could figure out how to put tweets up by the phone I would share with everyone.

Here you go:

• Love 4

Stephens wins the first set 6-3.  In the second set, Sevastova wins a game and it's 3-1.

Announcer man says "Sevastova, hanging in there."  

Um.  What? How is that hanging in there?  She was dominating the set to that point.  More like, it's two women fighting equally hard to advance.

Of course, Chris also later commented aloud that the crowd needs to get behind Stephens to rev her up so I don't know what I was expecting.

On a related note, I want Sloane's gorgeous face.  I can't stop staring!

Edited by mojoween

Wow, what an amazing day of tennis from the ladies. Congrats to Sloane and Venus. I also thought it was a very classy move on Venus' part when she acknowledged everything Petra had been through to get back to this point, during her on-court interview. 

• Love 4

I felt bad that either player had to lose, but I'm happy for Venus. I don't know how many US Open SFs she will have down the road. I think there's a strong possibility for an all American women's semifinal round. Of the two who play today I think Coco has the much tougher match, so maybe we'll finally see her go out of this tournament. 

On the other hand I'm disappointed for Querrey--and a bit disappointed IN Querrey. After playing such a strong match against Zverev, he looked...not even bad against Anderson...just sort of lackuster. I know that Sam is a very level player who doesn't show a lot of emotion on court and that historically the crowd doesn't get as into his matches because he's lowkey. But Anderson came out there looking like he wanted this badly and Sam just kind of looked like he was also there. The difference in energy between them seemed almost palpable at times. I don't know if Sam can truly get to the next level without getting a little more hyped up during big matches. 

Edited by Jillibean
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Jillibean said:

I don't know if Sam can truly get to the next level

YMMV but there is no next level. I'm not trying to be harsh but I've said it before and firmly believe that they need to give up the dream of Isner, Querrey, etc. as the next US men's Grand Slam champion. It's not happening. The future of American men's tennis is somewhere still in Juniors. Tiafoe looks very promising but there is a lot of work that needs to be done with him, including, playing smarter on the big points, not going for too much all the time, etc.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

YMMV but there is no next level. I'm not trying to be harsh but I've said it before and firmly believe that they need to give up the dream of Isner, Querrey, etc. as the next US men's Grand Slam champion. It's not happening. The future of American men's tennis is somewhere still in Juniors. Tiafoe looks very promising but there is a lot of work that needs to be done with him being smarter on big points, not going too much all the time, etc.

Thank you.  I know that American broadcasters have to tout American players to build up interest, but Isner, Querrey, Sock, Young, etc., are never going to win a major--and that's OK.  They can all make a lot of money just hanging in there like Tsonga, Ferrer, Gasquet, Lopez, and countless others.  ESPN doesn't care that the real tennis fans want to see the best, regardless of where they're from.  IMO 
A. Zverev, Thiem, Shapovalov, Zublev, are much more interesting to watch (and, of course, it's possible none of them will ever win a major either).

• Love 1
1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

YMMV but there is no next level. I'm not trying to be harsh but I've said it before and firmly believe that they need to give up the dream of Isner, Querrey, etc. as the next US men's Grand Slam champion. It's not happening. The future of American men's tennis is somewhere still in Juniors. Tiafoe looks very promising but there is a lot of work that needs to be done with him, including, playing smarter on the big points, not going for too much all the time, etc.

This x a million. McEnroe needs to give up the ghost because it ain't happening. Isner and Querry don't have the athleticism, movement and killer instinct required to make a push for that elite tier of players. It's weird, because Sasha Zverev is tall and lanky, but he doesn't look as awkward and doofy on court as these guys do. The American men's best hope is going to be an up-and-comer like Tiafoe.

• Love 1

Fantastic win by Venus.  When she was up 40 love in the fourth game of the third set and lost it to go down 3-1, I thought she might have been done.  But she hung in there, played well and gritted it out to twirl another day.  Well played.

I do like Kvitova, and it's unfortunate that someone had to lose to Venus.  I'd rather Kvitova have been in the other half of the draw.  Venus/Petra would have been a great final.   Question on Petra's Nike outfit, which I know I have seen on other players.  Does it not come in proper sizes?  The shirt seemed too short for the tall Kvitova, to the point where if she moved at all, it was all muffin top.  Not the best look, you'd think they'd have been able to make a longer shirt for her. 

On 9/4/2017 at 1:49 PM, BitterApple said:

Lmfaooooo. Okay, I know CoCo is the most off-putting woman, but I busted out laughing when Pam asked what it meant to have so many American women left in the draw and CoCo responded that tennis was a singular sport and you really only focus on yourself. Definitely not the P.C. answer, but it was the truth and I'm glad she didn't give the fake, canned speech about how great it was for American tennis, blah, blah, blah.

I loathe Coco, and I'm laughing at this answer because it reminds me of a guy I work with.  He once told me that he's not at work to make friends and he only cares about himself and what's best for him.  Then he wonders why nobody talks to him.  Coco seems the exact same way.  I'm so glad that she plays Pliskova, the only other women's player I have burning dislike for, because at least only one of them can advance.  I'm hoping that Madison Keys or the surprisingly resurgent Kaia Kanepi (who had to qualify!) can take out whichever disagreeable women wins that quarterfinal.

• Love 3