Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Kimmy Kisses a Boy!

I like how even after everything was out in the open, Kimmy's bunker-mate still decided to continue to lie to herself and stay with her school crush.  Kimmy was ok with it because she was living her dream no matter how distorted it was.  I was expecting a typical resolution to that story.  Five episodes in, I should have realized that this show isn't typical.

• Love 4
(edited)

"Gay hasn't even gotten to Indiana yet.  There have been rumors in Ohio."

This is the first episode I really really liked because it showed the difference in personalities between Cyndee and Kimmt.  Kimmy just wants to movie on with her life and to not have anyone feel sorry for her for what she has been through while Cyndee is being taken care of by people who are just doing it because they do feel sorry for her going so far as to marry a gay dude.    And yet they both seem to be happy with the choice they made.

Kimmy didn't end up with the Tutor because that would have felt too much like a romantic comedy and it would have taken Kimmy off the path she is really on; finding out who she is.  Too many shows have the first guy someone meets be their own true love but I don't think that is the path Kimmy is on. 

On a side note I loved the construction guy.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 5
(edited)
His panic when the butterscotches just appeared in his pocket!  Laughed out loud.

It was funny but I have to admit it reminded me of cats magically appearing in Penny Harts's apartment on Happy Endings (and episodes of The Good Wife and The View appearing on her DVR), leading her to believe she was becoming a spinster against her control. 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
(edited)

It was funny but I have to admit it reminded me of cats magically appearing in Penny Harts's apartment on Happy Endings (and episodes of The Good Wife and The View appearing on her DVR), leading her to believe she was becoming a spinster against her control. 

Ah right and they used cats that way on Gilmore Girls too.  The cats=spinsterhood trope annoys the crap out of me. *edits out a long angry rant*  The butterscotches though - that was original enough to make me laugh. 

Edited by random chance
  • Love 7

Best episode yet! I loved everything about this episode. The stuff with Cyndee and how she is still wort of stuck in "professional victim" mode, while Kimmy is trying to live her life was really great. It was the sort of situation that can really only happen on this show, now just any "single girl in the big city" show. 

The butterscotches just appeared in my pocket! Am I a bear? A daddy? A Huxtible?!?! Titus was at his best in this one! 

• Love 6

Kimmy was ok with it because she was living her dream no matter how distorted it was.

I think the main reason Kimmy was okay with it in the end is a combination that Cyndee knew the truth and she was happy finally getting what she wanted all the years they were in the bunker (although what about poor Brandon who has to pretend to be in love with her?). Her main objection earlier was that Brandon was lying to her.

It was hilarious that Cyndee's bunker fantasy or Brandon was her saying no to his advances and him driving off angrily. At least it was a realistic fantasy?

I know it wasn't the best moment in the episode but I laughed when the old man in the robe punched Titus through the open window.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

Titus killed me with that butterscotch line. Just slayed me.

And I loved that Cyndee knew Brandon was gay and didn't care because after spending years in a bunker, she was determined to have it all.

I kinda wish the school had allowed Kimmy to attend classes for one day just to see what happened.

• Love 1

My favorite episode so far. I laughed out loud a few times. My favorite line was, "Black, gay, AND old? Don't know which box to check on the hate crime form!" by Titus. Also liked the landlady in this one.

• Love 2

I liked this episode a lot because, as others said, it really showed the differences between Kimmy and Cyndee and how people go on with their lives after suffering trauma. Kimmy lives in terror of people finding out she's a mole woman and feeling sorry for her, while Cyndee thrives on it. I liked the resolution, especially knowing that Cyndee knows Brandon is gay and doesn't care because he's who she wanted anyway.

Titus's "which box do I check on the hate crime form?" was classic.

"Hey, Red. I wish I was those jeans." "And I wish I was your yellow hat!" Why can't we all see the world the way Kimmy does?

Kind of OT (cuz he's not in this episode and seems to have disappeared entirely), but I've been rewatching 30 Rock and the kid who plays Buckley was actually in season 6 episode "Hey Baby, What's Wrong?" as the kid who brings flowers to Jenna before she goes on to sing but then says that they're for her grave. I wonder if JK and the kid actor built some kind of camaraderie and that's why they decided to cast him in this. Still doesn't explain why the character has been abducted by aliens for all we know, but I still found it interesting.

I love how they tie back so many non-sequitur lines -- the landlady on her crazy rant about aging and being punched by an old lady, that EXACTLY happens to Titus.  The landlady watching the guy on the third flood stuck in the bathtub?  That's the guy who punches Titus.

I don't know why the "escritoire" joke made me laugh so hard but it did.  Or the proper pronunciation of "cars."   I really liked the actor playing Brandon.

• Love 1

I thought he looked so much like Harvey from Sabrina the Teenage Witch. But not the same guy. Just a slightly cuter/gayer/2015 version of him.

I had totally forgotten about that dude but now that you mention it!  I liked that he (the actor) seemed to be able to keep up with the zany level of the main cast.  His conversations with Kimmy, the confrontation with Titus (when they turn to Cindee and say "Sports!" at the exact same time) all just worked so well.

• Love 4

The stuff with the construction worker cracked me up.  I wouldn't mind seeing him again.

Probably my favorite episode so far, due to the laughs.  It was another case where it could have just been obnoxious and cliched, but I thought the show did a good job at making fun of Brandon for his lame attempts at hiding he was gay, and not making fun of him because he is gay.  And, sure, it did have some stereotypes, but I still got a kick out what he said, liked, or did, that made everyone figure out the truth (like the fancy word for "desks" that apparently only gay guys know.)  And then Titus trying to prove it was great.  The moment went Cyndee ask them what they were doing, and they yelled "Sports!" at the same time, was perfect.

I saw the twist with the tutor coming, but I still got a kick out of it.

Ellie Kemper really shined in this episode.  Really can't wait to see Kimmy go for her GED!

Edited by thuganomics85