Type keyword(s) to search

Worst of Friends: Your Least Favorite Moments

Madness

33 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

Didn't Rachel waste a lot of time not believing Chandler was actually going to move in?  Or a I confusing that with a different episode?

Yes, and there was also a subplot of Ross scheming to get Rachel to move in with him, then changing his mind? Or something? Anyway, he was sabotaging and then un-sabotaging Monica and Chandler for his own gain, which threw an additional wrench in the works.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Yes, and there was also a subplot of Ross scheming to get Rachel to move in with him, then changing his mind? Or something? Anyway, he was sabotaging and then un-sabotaging Monica and Chandler for his own gain, which threw an additional wrench in the works.

The "silliness"

• Love 3

It was Monica's apartment that she let Rachel move into with no notice (I don't know if "let" is really even the right word. Rachel just showed up).  She asked Rachel to leave and Rachel didn't take her seriously.  I think Rachel was awful here.  

"Monica, I'm still trying to find a place" "Monica, I'm on a waiting list" is totally different than "You and Chandler won't last, so I'm staying put because I want to."  Rachel was being an entitled brat, as is her MO.  I don't think it matters why Monica and Chandler wanted the place to themselves - the fact is it was Monica's place and her decision to make.

On 9/29/2017 at 2:48 PM, deaja said:

It was Monica's apartment that she let Rachel move into with no notice (I don't know if "let" is really even the right word. Rachel just showed up).  She asked Rachel to leave and Rachel didn't take her seriously.  I think Rachel was awful here.  

"Monica, I'm still trying to find a place" "Monica, I'm on a waiting list" is totally different than "You and Chandler won't last, so I'm staying put because I want to."  Rachel was being an entitled brat, as is her MO.  I don't think it matters why Monica and Chandler wanted the place to themselves - the fact is it was Monica's place and her decision to make.

Especially when you consider - when this happened - Monica and Rachel had drifted apart and hadn't seen each other in forever. Monica wasn't even invited to the wedding Rachel ran out of. Monica had her flaws, but I think she was an absolute angel in not throwing a then-acquaintance out on her ass with not so much as a "hi!" in ages. And she let Rachel stay. And, even rent controlled, no way (assuming Rachel's family didn't help out) was Rachel chipping in on half the rent for the first while.

I'm with @deaja. That apartment was in Monica's family via her grandmother. If Monica wanted Chandler there - alone - that was her right. And, be honest, if it was reversed and that was originally Rachel's, Rachel would boot Monica in a heartbeat.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Especially when you consider - when this happened- Monica and Rachel had drifted apart and hadn't seen each other in forever. Monica wasn't even invited to the wedding Rachel ran out of. Monica had her flaws, but I think she was an absolute angel in not throwing a then-acquaintance out on her ass with not so much as a "hi!" in ages. And she let Rachel stay. And, even rent controlled, no way (assuming Rachel's family didn't help out) was Rachel chipping in on half the rent for the first while.

I'm with @deaja. That apartment was in Monica's family via her grandmother. If Monica wanted Chandler there - alone - that was her right. And, be honest, if it was reversed and that was originally Rachel's, Rachel would boot Monica in a heartbeat.

They actually kind of address "ownership" of the apartment in The One Where Mr. Heckles Dies. Rachel wants to bring home the hula girl alarm clock, which leads to the "you still think of it as YOUR apartment, don't you" conversation. The resolution of that conversation implies that they both feel that they share the apartment equally. Whether that's fair or right is another issue, but from Monica's perspective four seasons later, there should have been more thought and communication put into the Chandler move.

Edited by RainbowBrite
MR. Heckles
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, RainbowBrite said:

They actually kind of address "ownership" of the apartment in The One Where Mr. Heckles Dies. Rachel wants to bring home the hula girl alarm clock, which leads to the "you still think of it as YOUR apartment, don't you" conversation. The resolution of that conversation implies that they both feel that they share the apartment equally. Whether that's fair or right is another issue, but from Monica's perspective four seasons later, there should have been more thought and communication put into the Chandler move.

Agree to disagree. Rachel knew of Monica/Chandler's relationship. She also knew - after hijinx - it was serious. If she couldn't read the signs, that's on her, IMO. I'm well aware the apartment was shared, but what it comes down to was that Rachel was being petulant and pulling crap for no real reason except maybe jealousy, which she and Phoebe acknowledged later on.

Rachel was long gone from Central Perk by then, so I have no idea why TPTB thought she even needed a roommate by then. I assume the fashion industry pays well.

12 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Agree to disagree. Rachel knew of Monica/Chandler's relationship. She also knew - after hijinx - it was serious. If she couldn't read the signs, that's on her, IMO. I'm well aware the apartment was shared, but what it comes down to was that Rachel was being petulant and pulling crap for no real reason except maybe jealousy, which she and Phoebe acknowledged later on.

Rachel was long gone from Central Perk by then, so I have no idea why TPTB thought she even needed a roommate by then. I assume the fashion industry pays well.

NYC apartments are an insane amount of money . Most people need roommates and even then , people are living paycheck to paycheck 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I always figured if Phoebe could afford to live alone, Rachel certainly could!

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I always figured if Phoebe could afford to live alone, Rachel certainly could!

Which brings the question: Did Phoebe rob banks in her spare time? Or she must have had some super wealthy massage clients!

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

Phoebe was probably in the same position as Monica-Grandmother's apartment, rent controlled. Until her grandmother passed away, she probably wasn't paying any rent. Grandma could have owned the apartment. Her grandmother might have left her some money, too. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ButterQueen said:

I was watching a season 1 episode last night, and Rachel's hair looked terrible.  I never noticed that before.

Rachel had amazing hair, but I agree that season 1 wasn't the best of her hair. And that was the season where "the Rachel" became popular. I also didn't like her hair when it was cut short. Maybe season 7? Not sure.

Back to Monica's apartment: Considering Monica was the queen of clean and enjoyed decorating, I always thought her apartment was cluttered and not decorated all that nice. Ross and Phoebe both had nicely decorated apartments. I always wondered how Phoebe afforded hers; I never got the idea that her grandma had any kind of money based on Phoebe's childhood. I still want the large green chest which  sat against one wall in Phoebe's place.  I did think it was kind of unfair for Monica to not allow either Rachel or Chandler to have any say in furniture or decoration of the apartment; I assume they were paying rent so they should get a say in things. 

After just watching a few of the Janice episodes, I have no idea what Chandler saw in her. I know she is a favorite of some ,but the cheap looking clothes combined with her awful voice and overly emotional affect, I can't imagine Chandler being attracted to her. I never got the idea she was all that smart either. 

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

Rachel had amazing hair, but I agree that season 1 wasn't the best of her hair. And that was the season where "the Rachel" became popular. I also didn't like her hair when it was cut short. Maybe season 7? Not sure.

I liked that Rachel cut! It was different (until every actress in the mid '90s copied it on other shows, anyway!). I hated when JA/Rachel wore her hair pin straight with zero volume. At one point, it looked extra bad since I believe she had extensions put in for a movie she was also filming.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I liked that Rachel cut! It was different (until every actress in the mid '90s copied it on other shows, anyway!). I hated when JA/Rachel wore her hair pin straight with zero volume. At one point, it looked extra bad since I believe she had extensions put in for a movie she was also filming.

Yea there was one season it was really long . It didn't suit her . I thought the best her hair looked was when she was dating Ross and it was dyed darker . It had a silky look and wasn't pin straight 

4 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

Her hair WAS bad before the Rachel cut. When it was very long during the Bruce Eillis arc, it was TOO long. I liked the shoulder length, kind of wavy hair during the pregnancy.

• Love 1

Speaking of hair, my favorite Monica cut was the season containing the episode in which she gave homemade gifts rather than tips and their furnace got stuck on high.  I don't think either Jennifer or Courteney looks good with the straight long hair hanging in their faces.

4 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

When the boys are packing up the guest room and they find the handcuffs-really? Rachel,  Phoebe, and obsessive/compulsive cleaner Monica never noticed them in over 10 years?

Especially since they weren't on a high shelf or stuck in a corner. Chandler didn't even have to stand on his tip-toes to pick them up! Would have been so hard to at least put them behind something?

I liked the "Rachel" too. Hated Monica's hair when she had it parted in the middle and somewhat wavy. It always looked greasy and unflattering to me.

One I hate is when Chandler picks out a ring for Monica but doesn't have his credit card. So he leaves Phoebe there to "watch the ring." Pretty sure the salesman would have been happy to put it aside for a couple of hours. And even if Phoebe wasn't in the little jail, what was she supposed to do to stop someone else from buying it? "Hi, my friend wants to buy that ring." - uh, so what?

I thought monica and her hair looked the best during the season her and chandler got engaged .. even Richard saw her and said he always wanted her hair to be long like that . I just thought that was her best season looks wise . 

To me , Rachel looked like a different person from the first couple of seasons to the later seasons when her hair was pin straight . She didn't look like the same Rachel 

I was watching on Netflix and saw a part I think gets cut in syndication and it was so ridiculously out of character I can't believe none of the writers noticed.

It was when Joey was trying to date Janine and he's talking to Ross and Chandler about how they start well with women but it never goes anywhere.

Joey says something like "you guys have a good rapport with women but then it doesn't work."  

Come.  On.  There is no universe where Joey knows what rapport means.  

Moo point?  Doesn't understand air quotes?  Thinks gobbledygook he is saying sounds like the French words Phoebe says?  No.  That Joey does not know rapport.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

The first few seasons Joey talked like a normal person and used words like 'negate', 'mediocre ' and 'metaphorical '. Then they decided that make him a total moron.

...who apparently didn't know the words long pause in a script was a direction, not the character's name.

• Love 2

Joey was still rather dim, even in the early seasons. For example:

Joey: If the Homosapiens were, in fact, "Homosapien", is that why they're extinct?
Ross: Joey, Homosapiens are people.
Joey: Hey, I'm not judging.

• Love 1

I'm re-watching season 5 now. The shift in momentum from the one where everybody finds out to the next few episodes is really jarring. Part of it is because I really don't like Michael Rappaport. The way he grabs Phoebe's face when he kisses her feels so wrong.

• Love 2

Well, I haven't watched Friends in years. I think the last time I actually enjoyed a episode or two was last decade, and that would be almost eight years ago. My taste in shows have certainly changed in recent years, and now I look at things from a perspective I wouldn't have considered looking at them from back when.

So, these are the things that annoyed me then and would probably annoy me even more now.

Some other points made in earlier posts within this thread was Ross' abusive behavior towards Rachel. I remember when I first saw the series as a child (was too young for the show then, but caught a few episodes) I sided with Ross over Rachel with the whole break-up. But when I was older, first saw the full series at about nineteen or twenty... not too long after the show ended... I thought "yeah, that was a lame thing you did, Ross."

However, the outright abuse and controlling behavior Ross has towards Rachel I never considered thoroughly. As I said, it has been years since I last binge-watched the series from beginning to end. But the things that I remember, and were pointed out in this thread, points clearly to that abuse and controlling behavior. I was never a hard-core shipper of Ross/Rachel, and didn't understand why the writers decided to drag their "we were on a break!" argument for seven years! It's ridiculous!

I also find each of the characters annoying. I'd probably say something different/more detailed for the other five now than I would have in the past, but Joey has been consistent. I hate the way the writers made him. Nobody, not even someone with an actual intellectual disability, can be that stupid and yet still function in day-to-day adult living without the slightest assistance. Speaking of intellectual disabilities, I hate how Phoebe made up the lame-ass excuse that her "brother" was r******* in the episode where Joey pretended to speak French. Look, Joey was probably being a lazy bum and just didn't actually want to say he was interested in learning French. Wasn't it said around that time that Joey was looking for jobs because he was low on money? Why couldn't the writers have just gone with that angle instead.

Ross has always been one of my least favorites, he and Monica are probably tied at #4 as my least favorite of the gang. Ross first, and then Monica. So, Ross was always made to be this childish, manipulative, self-centered ass. As it's been pointed out earlier in my post and others have said earlier on in this thread, he could get incredibly controlling, obsessive, creepy, even stalkerish when it came to Rachel. I remember many years ago, around the time I last binge-watched the series, there was a fanfic up. Ross had raped Rachel in Vegas or something like that, but as with all outrageous bashing fanfics, Ross was made super OOC. But it did consist of him being controlling, obsessive, creepy, and stalkerish; but I don't think canon Ross would ever rape Rachel. Anyways, he was just a very toxic person for Rachel. He wasn't very kind to his sister either, and I think the Geller sibling dynamic was just majorly dysfunctional.

I can say that I never really liked Joey or Ross at any given point in the series. But Monica, I had varying opinions throughout the show. While there were things I really didn't like about her, there were things I loved about her. She's still one of my least favorite characters though. I do have to wonder how she lost all that weight between 1988 and 1989 though. I guess we'll never know.....

Like Monica, there were times I really liked and really hated Phoebe. I didn't like how the writers dumbed her down in the later seasons. I liked the eccentric Phoebe from seasons 1-4. It seems like they kind of changed her character after she carried the triplets for her brother and his wife.

As with Phoebe, I think the writers really dumbed Rachel down in later seasons and I hated that.

I really can't say anything bad about Chandler but that may be because I'm partial towards Matthew Perry? I don't know.

So, really, if I watch the show now, I'd probably have to pause every five or ten second to note something that bugged me.

OH! I just remembered. The last episode I watched I think was "The One With the Embryos" early on in the episode... I won't get into the specific line itself, but it really pissed me off that Netflix didn't censor it. Or that even the writers thought it was ok to have that character say it, but it's not like they had a magic crystal ball looking into 2016. :) #rantover

• Love 1
4 hours ago, kinnej5 said:

OH! I just remembered. The last episode I watched I think was "The One With the Embryos" early on in the episode... I won't get into the specific line itself, but it really pissed me off that Netflix didn't censor it. Or that even the writers thought it was ok to have that character say it, but it's not like they had a magic crystal ball looking into 2016. :) #rantover

Can you give a little more context? I understand not wanting to say something offensive but I'm trying to remember a line. Even what character said it?

I've been re-watching the series, I'm guessing it's when Phoebe wants to do something to help the embryos "take" and Frank Jr. says something like "why don't you get drunk? it worked for a lot of girls in my high school."  I don't find it offensive, but it's all that I can think of.

18 hours ago, kinnej5 said:

I won't get into the specific line itself, but it really pissed me off that Netflix didn't censor it.

Does Netflix censor things? That would be very disappointing if they did.

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 7
46 minutes ago, strippedhalo said:

Here's a transcript of the episode: The One With the Embryos

Is the offensive part Joey's lines about the chick in the very first scene?  I guess I'm not surprised that the show's ongoing homophobia would branch off into transphobia, as well, but yeah.  I still like Friends, but a lot of things really did not age well.

I don't think that's the case. The thing with chickens is that it's almost impossible to tell what sex they are as babies, so until they develop into adults, you have no way of knowing whether a chick is a hen or rooster. Joey and Chandler assumed their chick was a female. They were wrong.

30 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Does Netflix censor things? That would be very disappointing if they did.

Netflix doesn't censor, no.

• Love 2

I actually liked that they were able to say what they wanted to say during those times. I hate how everything is so censored and not politically correct now. That was what made shows funny to me. ( that's just my personal opinion. I get why certain things can be offensive). 

I thought they made Rachel's character less dumb as the seasons went on. The first few seasons they made her out to be spoiled and dumb. As the show went on, I thought they made her one of the smarter friends.

Phoebe was by far my least favorite character. She was the only character whose lines I didn't laugh at. I watch re-runs all the time now and I just can't stomach her annoyingness lol. And her temper tantrums are cringeworthy.

Chandler is my favorite. He's just awesome. Especially the first few seasons.

• Love 7
23 hours ago, kinnej5 said:

Ross has always been one of my least favorites, he and Monica are probably tied at #4 as my least favorite of the gang. Ross first, and then Monica. So, Ross was always made to be this childish, manipulative, self-centered ass. As it's been pointed out earlier in my post and others have said earlier on in this thread, he could get incredibly controlling, obsessive, creepy, even stalkerish when it came to Rachel. I remember many years ago, around the time I last binge-watched the series, there was a fanfic up. Ross had raped Rachel in Vegas or something like that, but as with all outrageous bashing fanfics, Ross was made super OOC. But it did consist of him being controlling, obsessive, creepy, and stalkerish; but I don't think canon Ross would ever rape Rachel. Anyways, he was just a very toxic person for Rachel. He wasn't very kind to his sister either, and I think the Geller sibling dynamic was just majorly dysfunctional.

Ross and Rachel weren't always nice to each other, but I saw no actual abuse on the part of Ross. They were both jealous of each others partners and even stalkery, but abuse I can't see. I just watched the one where Rachel was pregnant and the store clerk asked Ross on a date (played by Rena Sofer) and Rachel called her a whore and then tried to pretend she wasn't talking to her. Honestly, fanfic of Ross as a rapist has nothing to do with the actual character or show-fanfics can say anything. I actually think Ross was a pretty nice guy in general and they tried to play up the sibling rivalry  thing with Monica.

I do agree with your comments on Joey. Joey was a lead in a popular soap opera, appeared in many plays and was a co-star in a major film (the one with Gary Oldman). I don't think he could have done all of these things if he were as dumb as portrayed in the last few seasons. He would have to learn lines, negotiate contracts with his agent and act professional on the job. 

Another comment on Ross and Rachel's Las Vegas wedding. Why did Ross have to start the process of the annulment if it was so important to Rachel? Why didn't she do it? Also, annulments require both parties to be involved and to provide signatures, so why did Rachel think Ross could 100% do it on his own?

In regard to Phoebe, I always hate it when she twists someone's neck or earlobe to make them do or say something. I would think they would get sick of her hurting them and tell her to get lost. It was never when they were doing something wrong, just that she wanted something like when she kept twisting Joey's ear because he mentioned to Ross how unfair they thought Emily was. I also didn't like her comments about her massage clients like when she "slipped him a little something, he'll be out for five or six hours." And l'm also curious as to what the inappropriate line was in the embryo episode. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Madding crowd said:

Another comment on Ross and Rachel's Las Vegas wedding. Why did Ross have to start the process of the annulment if it was so important to Rachel? Why didn't she do it? Also, annulments require both parties to be involved and to provide signatures, so why did Rachel think Ross could 100% do it on his own?

Because that's what Ross told her. I don't see why Rachel would know how the process of annulment works and she had no reason to think that he wouldn't want an annulment as much as she did, so she made the mistake of trusting his word.

• Love 5

Yea I definitely don't think Ross was abusive to Rachel . He was jealous like a lot of people get . They played it up for comedic purposes but he never once did anything abusive .if anything rachel was crazier when it came to Julie than Ross ever was with her 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, strippedhalo said:

Here's a transcript of the episode: The One With the Embryos

Is the offensive part Joey's lines about the chick in the very first scene?  I guess I'm not surprised that the show's ongoing homophobia would branch off into transphobia, as well, but yeah.  I still like Friends, but a lot of things really did not age well.

Possibly the OP was referring to Chandler alluding to Rachel having bought feminine hygiene products when they were guessing the 5 things she bought that morning, and Joey saying no, not for another two weeks.  Not offensive to me, but I don't look for reasons to be offended in 20+ year old TV shows.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Nessie said:

Possibly the OP was referring to Chandler alluding to Rachel having bought feminine hygiene products when they were guessing the 5 things she bought that morning, and Joey saying no, not for another two weeks.  Not offensive to me, but I don't look for reasons to be offended in 20+ year old TV shows.

How is that at all offensive ? 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

How is that at all offensive ? 

I'm not sure, but seeing as how the OP referenced 2016, I'm thinking that these days men are not supposed to comment on women's menstrual cycles, because there was a "scandalous" moment last year involving it?  Which seems ludicrous to me in an age when women feel free to talk about their genitals in public, but there you go.

If that's not it, then I've got nothing.  I've read over the transcript, and I can't find anything else that I would find even remotely offensive.

• Love 1
On 7/13/2017 at 4:04 PM, kariyaki said:

This is the "Worst" thread, though. So I would have to say my least favorite love interest was Young Ethan. First, although I guess it might've been the point, the actor didn't look anywhere near 17: receding hairline, super-hairy chest… And second, ew. 

That was Stan Kirsch, a regular on Highlander: The Series.   He played the character Richie.   There's a Friends-related funny moment in Season 2 (I think) of Highlander.   Duncan Macleod and Richie have a falling out but catch up with each other in Paris a couple months later.  Duncan asks Richie what he's been up to, and Richie says "I met this really wild girl named Monica ..."

• Love 1
On 10/26/2017 at 3:36 PM, Madding crowd said:

But if it was important to her then she could have called a lawyer herself. How could an annulment take place without her being involved? That's just not possible. Like a divorce, it concerns both people. 

Well that's true and that's why it became a problem when Ross learned that, but had already told Rachel that he got the annulment so he couldn't ask her to come in for an appointment with the lawyer. 

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 3:38 PM, WendyCR72 said:

I liked that Rachel cut! It was different (until every actress in the mid '90s copied it on other shows, anyway!).

Me, too!

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 7:00 PM, WendyCR72 said:

I loved Courteney's hair in S1. Not too short, not unbearably long. No idea why she cut it.

Me, too!

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 7:55 PM, Jaclyn88 said:

To me , Rachel looked like a different person from the first couple of seasons to the later seasons when her hair was pin straight . She didn't look like the same Rachel 

Part of that is weight loss.  Her face was fuller in the first few seasons.  When she got super thin around S5 and paired that with the lank hair (which, IMO, does no one any favors), her face became more angular. 

• Love 1
On 11/5/2017 at 8:55 PM, LeslieYep said:

Well that's true and that's why it became a problem when Ross learned that, but had already told Rachel that he got the annulment so he couldn't ask her to come in for an appointment with the lawyer. 

I'm sure its been discussed already, but one of my top LEAST favorite moments was with Phoebe in regards to Ross/Rachel's annulment. She willingly didn't tell Rachel that she was still married to Ross because she liked being the only one to know the secret. If I were Rachel, I'd probably cut all ties with someone who was a bestie and kept that from me. And if I were any of the other friends, I'd be wary of Phoebe too. Phoebe was just a luny as Ross during those episodes for not telling Rachel..

• Love 2

In flashbacks and alternative version episodes, why does Fat!Monica have a completely different personality and even different voice? Did the fatsuit constrict Courtney Cox’s voicebox to make it several octaves higher? 

Are we supposed to believe that Monica could only be a self-assured woman by losing weight? Or that the basis of maturity is dependent on her virginity? I hate that portrayal every single time. It’s not cute, it’s insulting and ridiculous. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

In flashbacks and alternative version episodes, why does Fat!Monica have a completely different personality and even different voice? Did the fatsuit constrict Courtney Cox’s voicebox to make it several octaves higher? 

Are we supposed to believe that Monica could only be a self-assured woman by losing weight? Or that the basis of maturity is dependent on her virginity? I hate that portrayal every single time. It’s not cute, it’s insulting and ridiculous. 

I cringe through Fat!Monica episodes. I love Friends but there are a lot of '90s/'00s issues that are just not ok any more (i.e. the fat jokes, the gay panic, the lack of characters of colour, etc.).

• Love 4