Type keyword(s) to search

Worst of Friends: Your Least Favorite Moments

Madness

(edited)

I think I hate every wedding episode they did on Friends (and on almost any other show). They all end up being a tired trotting out of TV wedding tropes. 'It's all going to plan... oh no! It's a disaster. The wedding might not happen!... Oh, phew. It did. Isn't it so heartwarming?'

They're packed full of twee bits of nonsense like friends officiating, having to improvise a venue, 'let's pull together and get this thing done!', panicking grooms, someone wanting to stop the wedding. Like the writers said, 'okay, we've got a checklist of things we need to include, let's figure it out'. Maybe I'm just not a romantic person (I hate weddings in real life too) but I skip all the wedding episodes when I re-watch Friends. Then again, I skip most of the Ross/Rachel drama episodes too.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 6
(edited)

I hate that episode where Phoebe finds the police badge and goes around bullying people with it, threatening to arrest them for things SHE feels are infractions. It was just so completely idiotic. Not to mention that everyone repeatedly warned  her that what she was doing was illegal and that she could get into serious trouble, yet she kept doing it anyway. Did it never occurred to her that she would run into a real cop?

What a fucking moron.

As much as I hate Rachel's bitchy attitude to and about Julie, the one time I didn't mind it was when Ross was on the phone with her and literally right in her face gushing and fawning. How unbelievably annoying and rude. Even if Rachel had no interest in Ross that would have  driven anyone crazy.

Her behavior at all other points was abominable--constantly calling her a bitch even though she'd been nothing but nice to her and everyone else? And why was Chandler laughing like this was hilarious? Trying to stop them from sleeping together, and even worse, under the guise of friendly advice? Flipping out when she and Monica hit it off and ranting about how "She stole Ross and now she's stealing you!"? These people are not your property, you spoiled brat.

Edited by Camille
  • Love 8

I hate some of the Phoebe moments: Phoebe yelling at Ross about getting her Sting tickets and than pretending to be Ben's mom to get the tickets. Phoebe refusing to let Chandler and Monica have alone time after they get engaged and playing the guitar and yelling outside of their bedroom door. Phoebe threatening to hurt or beat up the other friends on multiple occasions. Phoebe being mad at Ross and calling him a fat ass because of a dream. Phoebe constantly implying that Chandler wasn't good enough for Monica. I could go on and on. 

• Love 11

When “Jamie” and “Fran” from Mad About You come into Central Perk in TOW Two Parts, they see Phoebe, who they assume is Ursula. Phoebe is clueless, which is how Ursula always is, BUT, they assume Ursula is working there. Why? Why couldn’t Ursula just be there when she’s not working at Riff’s?

• Love 5
3 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

BUT, they assume Ursula is working there. Why? Why couldn’t Ursula just be there when she’s not working at Riff’s?

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. This bugs me so much. Just because someone is a waitress in one place does not mean they are a waitress at any other establishment they happen to enter.

• Love 4

Also, when Phoebe was done talking to Jamie and Fran, she went and sat down at a table like the customer she was. Now I didn’t watch Mad About You because it sucked, so I don’t know if this is something Ursula often did at Riff’s, but I think that would also be a big clue that SHE DOES NOT WORK THERE. 

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Also, when Phoebe was done talking to Jamie and Fran, she went and sat down at a table like the customer she was. Now I didn’t watch Mad About You because it sucked, so I don’t know if this is something Ursula often did at Riff’s, but I think that would also be a big clue that SHE DOES NOT WORK THERE. 

Well, yes, Ursula did this often. And would have no clue as to who they were even though they ate there often. 

And they ask her, "So you're here now?", to which Phoebe answers "Yes", because she doesn't realize what they mean. Ursula was such a ditz that Phoebe's genuine cluelessness only fit right in with what they knew. 

I HATE the way Rachel pronounced Joshua's name.

Oh my goodness I do agree on “JoshuA.”

This isn’t a worst, as much as a wut?, but I just noticed that when Ross introduces everyone to Paul (Bruce Willis), he says “my friends, Phoebe, Monica and Chandler.”

Why would you ever introduce your sister as your friend?  

On 20/06/2018 at 6:06 PM, Madding crowd said:

I hate some of the Phoebe moments: Phoebe yelling at Ross about getting her Sting tickets and than pretending to be Ben's mom to get the tickets. Phoebe refusing to let Chandler and Monica have alone time after they get engaged and playing the guitar and yelling outside of their bedroom door. Phoebe threatening to hurt or beat up the other friends on multiple occasions. Phoebe being mad at Ross and calling him a fat ass because of a dream. Phoebe constantly implying that Chandler wasn't good enough for Monica. I could go on and on. 

Phoebe didn't seem to like Ross or Chandler very much. With Ross, a lot of her jokes and pranks had a very cruel streak, targeting things he held dear (like the whole  evolution argument) and undermining them. But she did have some moments with him where she was genuinely caring.

With Chandler, she just didn't seem to have a very high opinion of him. She tended to dismiss him or casually mock him, and there was rarely a wink or smile to suggest she was just joshing an old friend. And, other than Phoebe somehow being the one to help him pick out an engagement ring, I can't think of any other genuinely friendly moments they had.

But this is more down to the writing of Phoebe, and how she was often used as a C-plot running gag, rather than getting A-plots. And let's be honest, the few major plots she did get were usually bad. I hated the dancer husband, I hated the Charlie Sheen guest role, I didn't care about David, I wasn't into her family either. Her weird dad, played by Bob Balaban, her squirrely brother, played by Giovanni Ribisi (and the frankly icky relationship with his teacher). I never liked it when Ursula turned up, other than when she served as a foil to give us that sweet moment between Phoebe and Joey. Paul Rudd was the only Phoebe-centric guest/recurring star they brought in that I liked.

• Love 3

I thought Janine was sweet and pretty and I absolutely hated how after weeks of developing Joey's sincere feelings for her, making it so terrific when they finally got together, that literally overnight, she got turned into a raging bitch who couldn't stand Monica and Chandler.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Camille said:

I thought Janine was sweet and pretty and I absolutely hated how after weeks of developing Joey's sincere feelings for her, making it so terrific when they finally got together, that literally overnight, she got turned into a raging bitch who couldn't stand Monica and Chandler.

I don't know that she got turned into a raging bitch. At that point in the show Monica had started becoming the pretty insufferable version of the later seasons so I could understand someone who didn't know her not liking her at all. And Chandler was always noted as someone it took time to get to know and like. I also understand it wasn't an option for Joey to give them up for someone he just met. I think Janine was sort of rightly annoyed that they were the cause of her and Joey not working out and would force her to move.

Janine forced Joey to pick between his best friends and her, and she lost.  I never warmed to Janine, and she had only herself to blame.  She knew how important these two people were to Joey, but couldn’t stop being rude to them.

I honestly never thought much about Janine because it was a stunt-cast. Her sudden hostility toward Monica and Chandler was just a plot-device to end it.

It was the same type of thing when they wrote off Paul (Bruce Willis) by having Rachel dump him for being too weepy. It was dumb too, but at least that one was funny.

• Love 2

I agree with many of you on several of these. Something else small that has always bothered me was when Rachel came to Ross and Emily's wedding. But not because she shouldn't have gone, but because she was wearing what looked like gym pants the entire time. If she knew she was going to a wedding, why wouldn't she have packed a dress or something more appropriate. It just seemed like another way for Rachel to undermine the importance of the occasion.

• Love 2

This thing just bugs me rather than being a worst-the one where Joey and Chandler go to look at he the apartment Richard lives in and wants to sell. They find a row of tapes with women's names on them and find one with Monica's name. It turns out to be another women wearing cowboy boots having sex with Richard. Richard seemed like the last guy in the world to be making and keeping sex tapes. He told Monica he had only ever been with her and his ex-wife and made it clear to Monica he was not a sleep around kind of guy. I just can't imagine him having sex tapes. I also think he was way too classy to just having them hanging around his living room bookcases. 

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

This thing just bugs me rather than being a worst-the one where Joey and Chandler go to look at he the apartment Richard lives in and wants to sell. They find a row of tapes with women's names on them and find one with Monica's name. It turns out to be another women wearing cowboy boots having sex with Richard. Richard seemed like the last guy in the world to be making and keeping sex tapes. He told Monica he had only ever been with her and his ex-wife and made it clear to Monica he was not a sleep around kind of guy. I just can't imagine him having sex tapes. I also think he was way too classy to just having them hanging around his living room bookcases. 

It wasn't a row of tapes, there was only one tape that they found. And as it used to have Monica on it, then had a football game on it, then another woman, I think Monica's line says it all: "Spring for a new tape, Doctor!"

Chandler reads off the titles of the tapes he's looking at: "Look at these videos. You know, I mean, who does he think he is? Magnum Force, Dirty Harry, Cool Hand Luke... Oh my God! There's a tape here with Monica's name on it."

My only problem with all this is that we're watching Blue Bloods now and in my head, Richard from Friends and Commissioner Reagan from Blue Bloods are the same person (both are played by Tom Selleck) and I'm struggling to reconcile where Monica fits into all this.

• Love 3

When 1/2 the gang is at the Hootie & the Blowfish concert, Monica runs into someone she used to babysit and is now a lawyer. She’s 26 at this point. Is he the Doogie Howser of lawyers? 4 years of college and 3 years of law school would put him in his mid 20s.

Maybe he's an intern? I was really surprised Stevie recognized Monica so easily, since she was fat as a teenager. And he asked if she was one of the sitters that fooled around with his dad? Which, apparently, was Rachel, since she asked Monica how his dad was.

8 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

Not sure that's true and I have seen that episode about 20 times. Either way I don't think Richard is a sex tape kind of guy.

But Monica seems to be. She was caught trying to film herself with Chandler ("I'm Monica. I'm disgusting. I stalk guys and keep their underpants."). I could see Richard going along with it just because it's something Monica wanted to do.

• Love 1

I don’t know if this was mentioned previously, and I give a trigger warning for sexual assault and rape.

It’s been mentioned how creepy it was that Ross accidentally kissed Monica, but his actions were disturbing. He finds, what he thinks is his crush, barely conscious on a bed, and he kisses her? There is nothing sweet and charming about that. That is sexual assault. That Monica enjoyed such a kiss is disturbing in itself. That a woman would enjoy it speaks highly of her self esteem. 

Chandler and Joey’s sister. Chandler was plastered before she even arrived. He was so drunk that he barely remembered the night. As far as I’m concerned, she raped him. Everyone blaming him for not remembering a woman who raped him is disgusting. That Joey ended up punching him is disgusting. That the woman (whose name I don’t care enough to look up) had the nerve to be offended and hurt is disgusting. That he is a man (because I don’t think such a storyline would have been treated as “funny” with a woman) doesn’t make it okay. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Meushell said:

Chandler and Joey’s sister. Chandler was plastered before she even arrived. He was so drunk that he barely remembered the night. As far as I’m concerned, she raped him.

Chandler and Joey's sister didn't do it, they just made out.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Chandler and Joey's sister didn't do it, they just made out.

Hm. Based on how everyone reacted, I always thought it was much more than that. That makes the whole episode a lot less disgusting.

On 7/22/2018 at 7:55 AM, Danny Franks said:

And, other than Phoebe somehow being the one to help him pick out an engagement ring, I can't think of any other genuinely friendly moments they had.

Well, Chandler and Phoebe did that duet of "Endless Love" in one of the episode tags. Still, point taken.

• Love 1
On 8/2/2018 at 8:53 PM, kariyaki said:

Maybe he's an intern? I was really surprised Stevie recognized Monica so easily, since she was fat as a teenager. And he asked if she was one of the sitters that fooled around with his dad? Which, apparently, was Rachel, since she asked Monica how his dad was.

Yikes. Poor Rachel.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Nellise said:

Everybody making fun of Joey when his date is punching him is pretty hard to watch.

At least Rachel instantly realized how insensitive they'd been after she got a taste of it.

8 hours ago, regina phalange said:

my least favourite was the one with RUSS . I mean wat was that ..... so awkward

And idiotic. Rachel really can't see that this guy looks like Ross? And the supposedly happy ending when Julie and Russ hook up really isn't--she's making the same mistake Rachel was and Russ deserves better than being used as a replacement for someone else--TWICE.

38 minutes ago, Camille said:

At least Rachel instantly realized how insensitive they'd been after she got a taste of it.

And idiotic. Rachel really can't see that this guy looks like Ross? And the supposedly happy ending when Julie and Russ hook up really isn't--she's making the same mistake Rachel was and Russ deserves better than being used as a replacement for someone else--TWICE.

When did Julie and Russ hook up ? 

Thad story line with Russ was definitely idiotic but Ross ( Russ's ) delivery made me laugh 

35 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

When did Julie and Russ hook up

In a scene that played over the credits but is cut in syndication (I had to search YouTube for it), Julie comes into Central Perk to drop off some of Ross' things (why she still had them months later is beyond me). She spends a few minutes chatting with Chandler and Phoebe before spotting Russ and it's love at first sight for both of them.

On 8/10/2018 at 9:24 PM, Camille said:

What would have been better (imo) is if everyone thought she didn’t see it, and one finally tells her, and she replies with, “Of course, he looks like Ross, but Russ didn’t make a list.” Maybe she leaves him in the end because she realizes she’s not really attracted to Russ himself, and that is not fair to Russ.

My headcanon is that Julie was initially attracted to Russ because of Ross, but she wasn’t naive about the reason. In time, she fell in love with him for being Russ. Russ was a better boyfriend than Ross, and they lived happily ever after.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Meushell said:

In time, she fell in love with him for being Russ.

Heh. I think that was hinted at when Russ suggested that they get some coffee, and she says, "I'm tired of coffee. Let's get JUICE!"

I hope so. It always bugged me the way all the outside love interests got shafted just so Ross and Rachel could do their on-off thing for the umpteenth time.

• Love 5

I actually get really annoyed whenever Monica starts yelling about someone 'stealing her thunder' because that's such an immature thing for a grown adult to care about. And you see it with a certain type- this idea that for a whole day everyone should pay attention to only you because you got engaged or whatever and no one else is allowed to have something going on. It's just so unbelievably self-centered. Monica needed therapy.

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, slf said:

I actually get really annoyed whenever Monica starts yelling about someone 'stealing her thunder' because that's such an immature thing for a grown adult to care about. And you see it with a certain type- this idea that for a whole day everyone should pay attention to only you because you got engaged or whatever and no one else is allowed to have something going on. It's just so unbelievably self-centered. Monica needed therapy.

I disagree with that . There's not many days in your life when you get to be the center of attention . Your engagement and wedding are pretty much the only two unless you include your birthday but no one would talk about someone stealing their thunder on their birthday . So that episode didn't bother me but what did bother me was how Monica was so upset at Rachel for stealing her thunder by kissing Ross on her engagement day , yet at her wedding was encouraging rachel to take a pregnancy test at that very moment and didn't give a crap that she was making the day about her then which in my opinion was a much worse thing to do . That was Monica's wedding day . She can wait a few hours to take the pregnancy test . 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

I disagree with that . There's not many days in your life when you get to be the center of attention . Your engagement and wedding are pretty much the only two unless you include your birthday but no one would talk about someone stealing their thunder on their birthday . So that episode didn't bother me but what did bother me was how Monica was so upset at Rachel for stealing her thunder by kissing Ross on her engagement day , yet at her wedding was encouraging rachel to take a pregnancy test at that very moment and didn't give a crap that she was making the day about her then which in my opinion was a much worse thing to do . That was Monica's wedding day . She can wait a few hours to take the pregnancy test . 

Okay, but Monica did that several times. This isn't just about her wedding - and as you pointed out she was the one encouraging Rachel to take a test so that's on her - it's about Monica thinking that any time she had big news every single friend of hers had to devote the day to fawning over it. I get she has issues from her childhood but: grow up, seriously. She's the exact type to be a Bridezilla- oh wait, she was. (Wasn't her demand that Chandler blow his life savings on the wedding of her dreams (she mocked every single thing he wanted!) charming?) And Monica chose to make Ross and Rachel kissing into Such A Big Deal with her immature behavior.

Personally, I think if a woman believes she might be pregnant she should take a test whenever she feels it's appropriate. Being pregnant is monumental.

3 hours ago, slf said:

Okay, but Monica did that several times. This isn't just about her wedding - and as you pointed out she was the one encouraging Rachel to take a test so that's on her - it's about Monica thinking that any time she had big news every single friend of hers had to devote the day to fawning over it. I get she has issues from her childhood but: grow up, seriously. She's the exact type to be a Bridezilla- oh wait, she was. (Wasn't her demand that Chandler blow his life savings on the wedding of her dreams (she mocked every single thing he wanted!) charming?) And Monica chose to make Ross and Rachel kissing into Such A Big Deal with her immature behavior.

Personally, I think if a woman believes she might be pregnant she should take a test whenever she feels it's appropriate. Being pregnant is monumental.

I agree on both counts. It was Monica's day and it was the fact she finally got engaged after so many near misses over the years. Plus, she wanted to be married for some time. However, yes, it went too far at times. The problem I had with Rachel could have taken the pregnancy test other places or thrown the damn thing away in the main apartment trash. Burying it under kleenix and hoping no one would see it. Especially, in another apartment where the soon to be married couple live together. Yeah, I don't get why didn't Rachel take the test at work, at Joey's or hell, the Central Perk. 

• Love 5

Wasn't her demand that Chandler blow his life savings on the wedding of her dreams (she mocked every single thing he wanted!) charming?) 

I think that is unfair, as she quickly changed her mind and told Chandler she wanted a marriage more than a wedding, and later she gave up her coveted wedding dress to give him the band he wanted.  And I remember that bridezilla behavior showed up when she was working with Rachel, who encouraged her in getting Chandler to bankroll the wedding.

I didn’t see Monica’s thunder rant to be about how she had to be the center of attention, but more about how her best friend always needed to one-up her.  She had very specific examples of Rachel doing so, and we saw it on her wedding day as well.  I assumed the writers forgot about the earlier episode, which bugs me no end.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, slf said:

When else did Monica yell at anyone  for stealing her thunder or make everyone's day revolve around her ? Just wondering because I don't remember . 

Edited by Jaclyn88
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

When else did Monica yell at anyone  for stealing her thunder or make everyone's day revolve around her ? Just wondering because I don't remember . 

Monica often insisted on trying to be the center of attention, even if it wasn't something big like announcing an engagement or a wedding. For example, I remember one or two parties where everyone was clearly miserable but she insisted that everyone do exactly what she wanted and would flip out if people wanted to leave. Which has apparently been a lifelong thing because when I double checked a transcript of The One With Monica's Thunder in case I was misremembering and Monica declared that Rachel "always" tries to steal Monica's thunder she can give only one example: when they were sixteen (for fuck's sake) Rachel slept with a guy at Monica's birthday party because everyone was bored with the caricaturist that Monica had at her party. (I'm not entertaining that because who the hell hosts a bunch of teenagers and then gets surprised when they fool around, especially in the '80s?)

Also: Monica slept with Chandler when Ross got married. By her own logic she was stealing Ross' thunder. And yet....

15 hours ago, readster said:

The problem I had with Rachel could have taken the pregnancy test other places or thrown the damn thing away in the main apartment trash. Burying it under kleenix and hoping no one would see it. Especially, in another apartment where the soon to be married couple live together. Yeah, I don't get why didn't Rachel take the test at work, at Joey's or hell, the Central Perk. 

I can't get with this at all. Yeah, there were better places to do the test (tho I can't remember what led to Rachel doing the test there so maybe there was an understandable reason). But this idea that Rachel was in the wrong when she buried the test beneath a bunch of tissues in the trash is bizarre. What was she supposed to do, set it on fire? She properly disposed of it and told no one. Literally everyone else was at fault, especially Monica because she's the one who turned it into a whole big thing- not Rachel. Just like Monica was the one who turned Ross and Rachel kissing into a big deal. She was shrieking about having her thunder stolen before anyone besides her even knew about the kiss. Once word got out really only Phoebe cared and that lasted literally less than three minutes. The only person who kept going on about it, wouldn't shut up, and let it ruin Monica's evening was Monica. 

Sorry but all this "stealing my thunder" b.s. strikes me as just more of Monica's control freak tendencies.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, slf said:

I can't get with this at all. Yeah, there were better places to do the test (tho I can't remember what led to Rachel doing the test there so maybe there was an understandable reason). But this idea that Rachel was in the wrong when she buried the test beneath a bunch of tissues in the trash is bizarre. What was she supposed to do, set it on fire? She properly disposed of it and told no one. Literally everyone else was at fault, especially Monica because she's the one who turned it into a whole big thing- not Rachel. Just like Monica was the one who turned Ross and Rachel kissing into a big deal. She was shrieking about having her thunder stolen before anyone besides her even knew about the kiss. Once word got out really only Phoebe cared and that lasted literally less than three minutes. The only person who kept going on about it, wouldn't shut up, and let it ruin Monica's evening was Monica. 

Sorry but all this "stealing my thunder" b.s. strikes me as just more of Monica's control freak tendencies.

Well, Rachel lived across the hall. She could've taken the test over there. It's basically just a plot contrivance so that Phoebe can find it in the trash because besides that, Monica's bathroom -- Monica of the 11 towel categories -- had left the bathroom with absolutely no tissue, not even toilet paper. I chalk it up to bad writing, in all honesty.

• Love 12
16 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I think that is unfair, as she quickly changed her mind and told Chandler she wanted a marriage more than a wedding, and later she gave up her coveted wedding dress to give him the band he wanted.  And I remember that bridezilla behavior showed up when she was working with Rachel, who encouraged her in getting Chandler to bankroll the wedding.

She changed her mind but she did it. Just like when they announced their engagement she kept saying "me" and "my" instead of "us" and "we" when discussing the engagement/wedding. I'm not sure what Rachel has to do with this since this is about Monica and Monica is in control of her own behavior.

16 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I didn’t see Monica’s thunder rant to be about how she had to be the center of attention, but more about how her best friend always needed to one-up her.  She had very specific examples of Rachel doing so, and we saw it on her wedding day as well.  I assumed the writers forgot about the earlier episode, which bugs me no end.

She had one example that was 16 years old.

If Monica hadn’t made such a big deal of Ross and Rachel kissing and stealing her thunder, Phoebe wouldn’t have known and so hadn’t Joey and Chandler. It’s not like they were kissing in front of her on purpose to ruin her day 

On 4/24/2018 at 10:37 AM, VagueDisclaimer said:

The one where the show decided to parallel Joey passing kidney stones to Phoebe giving birth to three babies. 

I thought that part was hilarious especially after the doctor shows him his stones and him and Ross are looking at each other like a happy couple who just had a child 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, gp1999 said:

If Monica hadn’t made such a big deal of Ross and Rachel kissing and stealing her thunder, Phoebe wouldn’t have known and so hadn’t Joey and Chandler. It’s not like they were kissing in front of her on purpose to ruin her day 

Which Rachel pointed out, but Monica was also stressing that they were kissing in the “super secret hallway where nobody goes,” in that anybody could’ve just walked right up on them. I agree that Monica was overreacting, but I also see her point that Rachel and Ross weren’t really making much of an effort to conceal themselves. 

• Love 3
23 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Well, Rachel lived across the hall. She could've taken the test over there. It's basically just a plot contrivance so that Phoebe can find it in the trash because besides that, Monica's bathroom -- Monica of the 11 towel categories -- had left the bathroom with absolutely no tissue, not even toilet paper. I chalk it up to bad writing, in all honesty.

Phoebe even said that upon noticing there wasn't any tissue or toilet paper--"This IS Monica's bathroom, right?"

• Love 2