Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Don't Tell Jeffrey!

• Start Topic

I haven't been on here in ages, came today because I heard that Ina finally had a new episode, and I see that I completely missed chessiegal's trip to London and Paris! I will have to return and read more slowly, I'd love to research each and every stop. One of our dream trips is to go to Normandy, so I may have to follow the trail set by chessiegal!

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 1:09 PM, vera charles said:

I haven't been on here in ages, came today because I heard that Ina finally had a new episode, and I see that I completely missed chessiegal's trip to London and Paris! I will have to return and read more slowly, I'd love to research each and every stop. One of our dream trips is to go to Normandy, so I may have to follow the trail set by chessiegal!

We've been talking about doing it again next year since we got back, and today our travel agent booked us a cabin for the May 31 crossing. We're planning on seeing things in London and Paris we didn't get to see this year, and then going to Florence and Rome. I am so psyched! Any recommendations for Florence and Rome are appreciated.

48 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Chessiegal, when you were in Normandy did you get a chance to go to Mont Ste. Michel? When we were there, I swear I could see a monk up on the parapet.

We tried, but got so turned around we couldn't get to it, and it got too late in the day, so we had a nice tour of the countryside and were glad we could find our way back to Bayeux.

• Love 1

If you are in Florence for several days, I would suggest doing a day trip to Siena and San Gimignano.  My family and I spent a little over a week in Siena and it is a lovely Tuscan hill town, with a beautiful duomo and square and lots of amazing places to eat and a thrice weekly market with some incredible buys like shoes and bags.  San Geminignano is a beautifully preserved medieval hill town and is a great place to buy pottery, if you like that kind of thing.  

In Florence, you must see the David in person.  Few things move me to tears, and this was one of them.  I didn't get the chance to visit the Uffizi museum, but have heard wonderful things about it.

Things to eat in Tuscany:  Gnocchi.  Eat all the gnocchi.  And gelato.  Eat all the gelato.  In Siena, my family loved the pizza place called "Mr. Pizza."  It was on a main street on the way from the bus stop to the main square.  The porchetta is superb, but you can find that all over Italy.  The wine is incredible in Tuscany, you can land some Brunello de Montalcino for around $45-50 (especially with the amazing dollar-euro rate right now), where that can cost upwards or $100 or more here in the States.

Rome.  Sigh.  I'm a country girl, and I notoriously do better in smaller cities and the countryside in Europe than I do in the large cities (exceptions being Germany and Austria).  I have several opinions on Rome, but certainly don't want to taint anyone's expectations or ideas, as many of my friends absolutely adored it.  I would not spend more than 3 days in Rome if you can.  In 3 days, you can see the major sites, but then I would recommend perhaps some day trips if you're there longer.  We went to Pompeii, which is outside of Naples, and that was a perfect day trip from Rome.  You will need to be very aware of your surroundings and belongings on the Rome subway and definitely in Naples if you visit there.  

Things to eat in Rome:  Bucatini, generally served with a slightly spicy tomato sauce, called arrabiata.  Eat the gnocchi in Rome, too.  Eat the gnocchi everywhere!!!  The cacio e pepe in Rome is probably the best place to try that particular dish.

Another tip-Buy souvenirs and other goodies outside of Rome, they're considerably less expensive for the same things.  

• Love 2

I would love to be at Ina's table at Thanksgiving. She has wonderful recipes and is so low key on her shows, unlike a lot of the frenetic, shrieking people that are on that network. I've made a number of her recipes and they've all been delicious. She also gives very specific directions for novice cooks. I've been cooking for my family and friends for 47 years and I still learn something from her. Thanks, Ina!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Gam2 said:
1 hour ago, Gam2 said:

I would love to be at Ina's table at Thanksgiving. She has wonderful recipes and is so low key on her shows, unlike a lot of the frenetic, shrieking people that are on that network. I've made a number of her recipes and they've all been delicious. She also gives very specific directions for novice cooks. I've been cooking for my family and friends for 47 years and I still learn something from her. Thanks, Ina!

Do you follow her on Facebook? She had some very helpful tips on prepping for Thanksgiving this year. And yes, I want to be invited!

I hated to have missed Ina's Thanksgiving (I wasn't invited), but I'm angling for a seat on a flight to Paris and a place at her Christmas/Hanukah table.  If that doesn't pan out, I might even consider New Year's Eve for the traditional get-together with the Gartens and her pals in Provence.  (Their name escapes me.  She's the cookbook writer who lives over there and visited Ina for a weekend.  Her name just flew out of my head).  She and Ina take turns cooking the NY Eve spread, so either way, it would be bound to be yummy!

Why do I remember this stuff?

Because you have a photographic memory.

I still chuckle, remembering the episode of Patricia's visit.  Although she was there, the two of them never saw each other, or so it seemed. 

Whatever happened to Mo and Jo?  The last thing I can remember of them, they joined Ina and Jeffrey for lunch.  I seem to remember a squash dish and a crumb cake, and we haven't seen them since, have we?  I always enjoyed those two.

chessie, so happy for you that you can return to France.  Stop off at Spain and Portugal while you're in the area -- amazing beauty and people, and top cuisine, now lauded by culinary critics around the world.  England will always be fun.  We stayed in a hotel right beside Kensington Palace next door, and our room overlooked Princess Margaret's former suite (now Kate and William's).  We could see people moving around in the room  (probably maids), but couldn't tell who was who.  We did note that the Palace gets LOTS of deliveries from Fortnum and Mason (the grocery store to the Queen) and other places.  They must eat well.

• Love 1

Not Ina related, but for those interested...I just noticed that showing on the PBS series American Masters tonight are back to back documentaries on James Beard and Julia. The one on Beard is at 8 pm central time and Julia is at 9 pm.  Bon appetit!

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, 3pwood said:

And next Fri (the 26th), are 2 more:  Jacques Pepin & Alice Waters (respectively at 9pm & 10pm, PDT).

Thanks! I recently got Jacques' autobiography "The Apprentice" at Half Price Books and it was a good read so will look forward to this. And I don't remember which forum I posted this on, but if you haven't read Julia's "My Life in France," I highly recommend it. I  also got it at HPB. Apologies if I am repeating myself on this forum! 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Thanks! I recently got Jacques' autobiography "The Apprentice" at Half Price Books and it was a good read so will look forward to this. And I don't remember which forum I posted this on, but if you haven't read Julia's "My Life in France," I highly recommend it. I  also got it at HPB. Apologies if I am repeating myself on this forum! 

My Life in France is such a wonderful book; I re-read it at least once a year. Several years ago when I worked in a library, the head librarian was retiring and as a gift the library staff (100+ people) was asked to submit 3 of their favorite book titles to be complied into a very nice keepsake reading listing. My Life in France was one of the most recommended titles. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

My Life in France is such a wonderful book; I re-read it at least once a year. Several years ago when I worked in a library, the head librarian was retiring and as a gift the library staff (100+ people) was asked to submit 3 of their favorite book titles to be complied into a very nice keepsake reading listing. My Life in France was one of the most recommended titles. 

I re-read at least once a year, too! And no pun intended, but it is so rich and flavorful. I feel like I am a fly on the wall watching everything she talks about!!

Just downloaded My Life in France to my iPad. We're heading across the pond on the 31st on the Queen Mary 2, will be spending 4 nights in Paris. Seems like a good read while I'm crossing.

• Love 1

Best part of the book for me was the unloading of the big station wagon (I don't know why but I loved the description of that) along with the start of their roadtrip to Paris, driving on a country highway past the ruins of WWII, and then stopping at that little bistro, having the fabulous Dover sole that was an epiphany for her.  I need to reread My Life in France.  I wonder what she'd think of all the shows on FN and the Cooking Channel today.

• Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I wonder what she'd think of all the shows on FN and the Cooking Channel today.

I think she would prefer the PBS cooking shows, especially Sara Moulton who worked with her  &  her good friend Jacques.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 2

I recorded the Julia and James Beard episodes of American Masters and have the DVR set for Jacques Pepin and Alice Waters episodes. Our local PBS station also aired a program about Paul Prudhomme right before Julia. 

I agree that "My Life in France" is a great read, as is Jacques Pepin's memoir. My current food read is Eric Ripert's "32 Yolks."

On Tuesday, I'm headed to the New Orleans Wine & Food Experience. Looking forward to some amazing meals and trying lots of new wines.

Chessiegal, enjoy your trip. I look forward to reading about it.

• Love 2

Loved "32 Yolks" and recommended it to my book club (everyone enjoyed the book).  I think anyone who thinks (s)he might like a career as a chef needs to first read Eric's memoir for a reality check.  It's a tough world to join and survive.  I wish he'd continued his book to cover his adventures in America (maybe he's saving that for Part Deux).

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Loved "32 Yolks" and recommended it to my book club (everyone enjoyed the book).  I think anyone who thinks (s)he might like a career as a chef needs to first read Eric's memoir for a reality check.  It's a tough world to join and survive.  I wish he'd continued his book to cover his adventures in America (maybe he's saving that for Part Deux).

If I ever came across a genie in a magic bottle, one of my three wishes would be that Eric himself comes to my house and reads his book to me himself. heavens! He is gorgeous and that voice weakens the knees! 

• Love 2

Yeah...such a cutie pie :>)   But I'd prefer that he cook for me: that wonderful French onion soup, a light salad w/ vinaigrette, a freshly baked baguette, moule mariniere, (whoa...I'm getting full here), steak, frites, and a glass of excellent white wine (he can select which type).  Just put the dessert in the fridge and I'll get it tomorrow (strawberry tart, please).  

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Lava VaVoom said:

Hasn't anyone noticed that FN has new BC episodes?  It will be about "Cooking Like a Pro" and the first episode is Sunday, May 28, at 11 AM on Food Network.

I have my DVR set for tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Lava VaVoom said:

Hasn't anyone noticed that FN has new BC episodes?  It will be about "Cooking Like a Pro" and the first episode is Sunday, May 28, at 11 AM on Food Network.

I've been waiting patiently for.ev.ahhh!  Got a note to remind me too (cause on Sunday mornings I can forget--to me she's more of a Saturday cooking show). It's going to be roast chicken and some more chicken stuff but I don't care what she's cooking.  I think I'll have some cinnamon toast and a cup of coffee while I watch BC :>)

• Love 2

We are in Europe, and I am amused by questions about food I hear Americans asking (including my husband). We are currently in Florence, and the other night my husband asked me what pasta carbonara was. I've made it for him! I said - heaven, order it, you'll love it. The restaurant made it with rigatoni, and it was very good. Of course, sitting at a table overlooking the Arno River didn't hurt.

Yesterday I heard 3 Americans wonder what panzanella salad was. I was tempted to tell them, but they asked the waitress/owner? (I think she and her husband owned the tiny place.) She gave a good description, and 2 of them ordered it, which made me wish I had too. It looked good.

We took a day trip to Siena today, and my husband had the best pizza he's had in Italy so far (the first was mediocre at best). I had prosciutto and melon which was wonderful - sweet ripe cantaloupe and good prosciutto.

2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

We are in Europe, and I am amused by questions about food I hear Americans asking (including my husband). We are currently in Florence, and the other night my husband asked me what pasta carbonara was. I've made it for him! I said - heaven, order it, you'll love it. The restaurant made it with rigatoni, and it was very good. Of course, sitting at a table overlooking the Arno River didn't hurt.

Yesterday I heard 3 Americans wonder what panzanella salad was. I was tempted to tell them, but they asked the waitress/owner? (I think she and her husband owned the tiny place.) She gave a good description, and 2 of them ordered it, which made me wish I had too. It looked good.

We took a day trip to Siena today, and my husband had the best pizza he's had in Italy so far (the first was mediocre at best). I had prosciutto and melon which was wonderful - sweet ripe cantaloupe and good prosciutto.

Did you have pizza at Mr. Pizza in Siena????  That was my family's favorite pizza place when we stayed there.  My dad said he would eat 5 meals a day:  breakfast, lunch, dinner, and 2 snacks at Mr. Pizza.

We ate at a ristorante/pizzeria across the street from St. Catherine Cathedral. One of our oldest granddaughters (a twin) is named after her, so we wanted to visit her cathedral (which houses her head). I find the practice of taking body parts of famous people and distributing them here and there odd. Yesterday we visited the Galileo Museum in Florence and saw his middle right finger (pointing up - ahem). Travel is definitely a broadening experience.

Awww...just watched the PBS show on Jacques Pepin last night.  His early days in France (especially Paris restaurants) reminded me of Eric Ripert's experiences many years later.  I'd forgotten that Pepin had a stroke.  It must have been a TIA because he was out of the hospital almost the next day and was speaking very well.  Also saw the show on James Beard which was really interesting.  My book club is reading 10 Restaurants That Changed America by Paul Freedman in which he claims that Chez Panisse was the first restaurant to use local farmers.  Last night I was informed that Four Seasons (whose creation was developed partly by Beard), which opened in 1959, did just that almost right from the start and that was a decade before Alice Waters' decision to go local.  It's hard to find stuff that is interesting (to me) on TV these days and I was just glued to the TV during these two programs.  

• Love 2

I' m not a good cook...probably one of the worst. However, I am still fascinated and mesmerized by anyone who can put together a delicious meal. I love watching them, trying to learn from them and Ina is one of my favorites mostly due to her calm, soothing voice and her lovely, peaceful looking (multi million dollar) estate! Lol. Oh and I must not forget her shirts of all the same style....just different colors! If your cooking, you're going to get food, flour, grease on your clothes so i love Ina's shirts. 

• Love 5

Just booked the QM2 for May 17th crossing to Hamburg next year. My husband wanted to go to Spain next, but it was so hot in Italy - no way I'm going to Spain in the summer. We haven't fleshed out the rest of the trip other than a few days in Hamburg, train to Switzerland, train to Vienna and Salzburg, and fly home from Frankfurt. Cunard is offering free drinks on selected cruises, and this was one of them.  The ship stops in Southampton and Le Havre on the way to Hamburg. I think we'll have enough time to visit both stops before we move on. We'd like to visit the Maritime museum in Southampton.

• Love 2

Thought all you BC fans would get a kick out of this. I'm chairing the New Annapolitans "Fun Lunch" group this year. We meet once a month at someone's home with a themed lunch with food to match the theme. This morning was our General Meeting where all the Interest Groups tell members what their group is about in 2 minutes or less. Last year Fun Lunch read a letter to Ina inviting her to Fun Lunch with a summary of what it was about. (A spoof letter, not real). This morning I said I was re-issuing a standing invitation for Ina to attend, because last year, alas, she never made it. After my presentation, someone asked me if we ever heard back from Ina. Yikes! Made me wonder how many other people took that seriously (after I explained it was a spoof).

This has been a joy! I have read every single post, having crept over from paddling in the waters which are Oklahoma and "what's-her-name". 

I am a great fan of Ina's, mostly because she is a proper cook however much her shows can be spectacularly OTT in terms of staging.  I still laugh about the stylists in one show (when a photoshoot of a photoshoot was being filmed...loads of extra people in view) agonising about which shade of taupe - or some other rather dreary colour - should be used for the place mats and napkins, plus worries about which cutlery and which china should be used.  Ina and somebody else calmly had lunch - can't remember what she cooked - in the midst of the chaos.  But, alongside the sometimes rather bizarre set pieces, I think she produces food that we'd all like to either cook or eat (or both).  And, of course, where she lives is stunning.

For those who are planning trips to Paris: I recommend visiting Versailles.  It is breathtaking, even if you don't go into the actual Palace.  Create a picnic a la Ina from little shops close to where you're staying, get yourself to Versailles and wander around the grounds before tucking into bread, cheese, pate, fruit.  Or walk into the main square, where there are lots of small restaurants which aren't tourist traps in terms of excessive cost. 

• Love 2

Also one place we visited as described on Wikipedia:

The Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Paris, commonly known as Sacré-Cœur Basilica and often simply Sacré-Cœur (French: Basilique du Sacré-Cœur, pronounced [sakʁe kœʁ]), is a Roman Catholic church and minor basilica, dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, in Paris, France. A popular landmark and the second most visited monument in Paris,[1] the basilica is located at the summit of the butte Montmartre, the highest point in the city. Sacré-Cœur is a double monument, political and cultural, both a national penance for the defeat of France in the 1870 Franco-Prussian War and the socialist Paris Commune of 1871[2] crowning its most rebellious neighborhood, and an embodiment of conservative moral order, publicly dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, which was an increasingly popular vision of a loving and sympathetic Christ.[3]

The basilica was designed by Paul Abadie. Construction began in 1875 and was completed in 1914. The basilica was consecrated after the end of World War I in 1919.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

The Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Paris, commonly known as Sacré-Cœur Basilica and often simply Sacré-Cœur (French: Basilique du Sacré-Cœur, pronounced [sakʁe kœʁ]), is a Roman Catholic church and minor basilica, dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, in Paris, France. A popular landmark and the second most visited monument in Paris,[1] the basilica is located at the summit of the butte Montmartre, the highest point in the city. Sacré-Cœur is a double monument, political and cultural, both a national penance for the defeat of France in the 1870 Franco-Prussian War and the socialist Paris Commune of 1871[2] crowning its most rebellious neighborhood, and an embodiment of conservative moral order, publicly dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, which was an increasingly popular vision of a loving and sympathetic Christ.[3]

The basilica was designed by Paul Abadie. Construction began in 1875 and was completed in 1914. The basilica was consecrated after the end of World War I in 1919.

I spent one Easter weekend in Paris and on Easter Sunday morning we went up to Montmartre.  I decided to have a peek inside Sacre Coeur despite the fact that a service was being held.   I tiptoed to the (open) door and stood looking/watching but with no thought of venturing further inside during Easter mass as it just didn't seem right (I'm not RC but Anglican/Protestant/whatever you want to call it!).  To my acute embarrassment I was sort of scooped up by someone attached to the Basilica who insisted, in a mixture of whispered French and English, that he took me on a wander around the interior to have a good look at everything...right up to the altar just as communion was about to begin.  All the while my new "friend" was explaining things in whispered French and English.  It was a faintly surreal experience, but v.v.v.v. interesting! 

We (I went with a couple of friends plus their youngest daughter (then 16) to meet up with their middle daughter (18) who was attending a course at the Sorbonne) couldn't visit the Musee d'Orsay as it was shut!  We did go to the Louvre early one morning - there was a free-of-charge entry to an exhibition of British sporting pictures in one of the wings and then, by mistake but without being "challenged", we went through a door which led us into the main body of the Louvre and saw an awful lot, inc Mona Lisa (not sure what all the fuss is about!).  The girls got slightly bored of Art & Culture and zoomed through every exhibition room at high speed.  There was a fabulous exhibition of Goya paintings which I tried to get A and A to concentrate on to no avail: they were more concerned about the prospect of lunch and they kept saying they'd faint from hunger (I reckon, with hindsight, they meant boredom!).

(my laptop doesn't speak French, hence lack of accents)

• Love 1

The first time we went to Paris 3 years ago we couldn't get in the Musee d'Orsay because the Seine was flooded. We made it the next year, along with a trip to Versailles that we didn't have time for the previous year. Absolutely breathtaking. And we were there on a weekend so we got to see the fountains. 

On 9/15/2018 at 8:07 AM, Mandolia said:

For those who are planning trips to Paris: I recommend visiting Versailles.  It is breathtaking, even if you don't go into the actual Palace. 

I actually find the grounds far more beautiful than the palace, because the palace is so over the top.

5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

The Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Paris,

I've never gone in, but I love the view from Montmartre.  (And the pigeons.)  It's especially beautiful at dusk, to sit at the top of the steps and watch as day turns to night far below.  It's so crowded, though; you really have to work to tune that out.

24 minutes ago, Mandolia said:

we went through a door which led us into the main body of the Louvre and saw an awful lot, inc Mona Lisa (not sure what all the fuss is about!). 

I was a bit underwhelmed, too.  The Louvre is filled art I wanted to see (and oodles more I had no idea was there but was pleased to discover), and I wasn't going to be that close to such a famous portrait and not see it, but I was far more impressed by far more things.  Maybe it's the distance and the glass.

It's hard to pick a favorite museum in Paris - and, really, the city itself feels like a living museum - but mine is probably the Rodin museum, particularly the gardens.

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

It's hard to pick a favorite museum in Paris - and, really, the city itself feels like a living museum - but mine is probably the Rodin museum, particularly the gardens.

We haven't been to the Rodin, but are going back to Paris next September. I think we should see it, especially it's proximity to Rue de Cler.

6 hours ago, Bastet said:

I actually find the grounds far more beautiful than the palace, because the palace is so over the top.

I've never gone in, but I love the view from Montmartre.  (And the pigeons.)  It's especially beautiful at dusk, to sit at the top of the steps and watch as day turns to night far below.  It's so crowded, though; you really have to work to tune that out.

I was a bit underwhelmed, too.  The Louvre is filled art I wanted to see (and oodles more I had no idea was there but was pleased to discover), and I wasn't going to be that close to such a famous portrait and not see it, but I was far more impressed by far more things.  Maybe it's the distance and the glass.

Agree about the grounds at Versailles.  We actually got locked in (!) - communications' failure with the slightly unfriendly gatekeeper at the entrance to where we parked.  Ended up being the most hysterical episode as we drove back and forth in front of the Orangery, occasionally taking a different route to find a gate with a person who might let us out.  We saw quite a lot of the park/grounds one might not usually see.  Eventually we found a gate with a chap who was so old he was probably a boy when Marie Antoinette was playing at being a shepherdess and we explained our predicament; he produced a key the size of house and unlocked the gates and off we went, my friends' daughters by this stage crying with laughter.  (What was really peculiar was that there were gendarmes patrolling in cars and not once were we stopped.) 

As far as the Louvre is concerned, I think it's probably better to go on ones own, or definitely not with 2 slightly sulky/bored/hungry teenagers.  There were various sections in which I longed to linger, just staring in rapture. 

What I wouldn't do ever again is go to the top of the Arc de Triomphe (and you wouldn't get me near the Eiffel Tower).  I have an absolute terror about heights and stood about 3 yards away from "the edge" - there was no way I could look down...instead I concentrated on the view ahead, admiring the radiating avenues of Place l'Etoile.  And the climb up and down the winding, narrow spiral staircase was my idea of hell.  

There is so much to see in Paris, almost too much to take in. 

9 hours ago, Mandolia said:

...went through a door which led us into the main body of the Louvre and saw an awful lot, inc Mona Lisa (not sure what all the fuss is about!). 

I read (or was told) that the eyes appear to follow you when you walk from side to side while viewing the painting.  I was able to confirm it when I saw the Mona Lisa many years ago when it was on loan.  It was pretty amazing.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, chessiegal said:

We haven't been to the Rodin, but are going back to Paris next September. I think we should see it, especially it's proximity to Rue de Cler.

13 hours ago, Bastet said:

The gardens of the Rodin museum were the highlight of my trip to Paris in 2015.  I first went on my birthday (husband was off at the Louvre which is too big for me). It was a rainy day so hardly anyone was in the gardens and I had the place to myself. First I had lunch in a very pretty cafe in the garden. Then, popped open my umbrella and had a wonderful time touring.  The tour at night on the Seine was a disappointment - too many people crammed in and hard to take in all the sights. But seeing the Eiffel Tower at 9 PM when the lights started twinkling?  Wow! Loved it. If you don't like heights, do not go up, though. I made that mistake and had to shuffle very nervously to the down elevator (and we were not at the top either but this level just has a minimal railing going around).  I recommend Cafe Therese not far from the Eiffel Tower (their roast chicken and whipped potatoes may sound prosaic but I haven't forgotten how Heavenly those whipped potatoes tasted!)

• Love 1