Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Don't Tell Jeffrey!

• Start Topic

I asked Maddie (my cat) to go make me my Mother's Day Bloody Mary, but, just like when I ask her to do the dishes because I'm too tired, I had to do it myself.

You know, Bastet, I ask my kitties to do things like clean up the kitchen, too, and they never do them, either. I thought they were just lazy but perhaps it's a species thing.

Neither my husband nor I has a living mom so I, as mom of cats, am the closest we have. Breakfast was buttermilk waffles with sliced strawberries and bacon, which our terminally ill kitty has recently decided is a cat's natural food. Dinner will be pasta with four cheeses, homemade garlic bread, and roasted asparagus with lemon. If Zoe (ill kitty) decides any of that is also a cat's natural food, she gets some, too. Hillary (other kitty) will get to share in the canned kitty food bounty later. Hope you enjoy your steaks, even if you don't enjoy your potatoes.

Also hope all who have moms to enjoy get the chance to do so. Mother's Day used to be pretty awful but seven years after losing my mom, it is just sort of like wearing shoes that don't fit--unpleasant and a reminder but not overtly painful all the time.

I made Ina's oven fried chicken and chocolate cake, with Cole slaw, fresh corn salad, and mashed potatoes. I decided to use premade biscuits. The grandmas and my mom were very happy ladies! I'm not happy with how the oven fried chicken turned out, it didn't really get crispy, but I love the concept and will make tweaks for next time.

When did people start wishing strangers Happy Mothers' Day? I heard it more times than I can count this weekend. Why assume the woman in front of you is a mother? What if she isn't and wants to be? What if her own mother is dead? Unless she is with kids who are calling her Mom, or wearing a World's Greatest Mom t-shirt, say nothing. It's the reason we stopped wishing Merry Christmas to strangers. Not everyone celebrates the occasion.

• Love 4

I'm going to Paris the first week of May (never been to Paris, only Provence) and I've got Cafe Varenne at the top of my list of places to dine (I'm a cafe type person when it comes to French food).  Any recommendations for places in the 7th arrondisement? Department stores?

I'm new here and not sure how to quote. This is for anzeepark914. Mr. ShoePrincess and I will be in Paris the following week. It's our favorite city.

If you venture out of the 7th into the 6th, I have a couple of restaurant recommendations for you. One is Café Wadja, the other is Leo Dupont. Both are on Rue de la Grande Chaumiere, right off Boulevard Montparnasse and close to the Luxembourg Gardens. We discovered them the lazy way -- both are across the street from our favorite hotel. Wadja is bistro style food. The menu changes with the seasons and the chef's moods, but it's always been very good. Leo Dupont is more of a wine bar than a restaurant. They do serve a limited menu, and the food is very good. It's also a great place for a cheese plate and a glass or two of wine.

Not a restaurant, but if you love to cook, a trip to Librairie Gourmande is lots of fun. It's a cookbook store. They have a good selection of books in English, lots of them are British books and not available in the States. I've been adventurous in my purchase, buying books in French. I figured it was a good way to learn a bit of the language.

I'm planning to take a cooking class while I'm there. I think it's time I learned to make a proper croissant. On our last trip, I learned to make macarons.

Anzeepark and ShoePrincess, please do report back on your Paris adventures when you return! Particularly on everything you ate and drank!

Premade that you made from scratch or canned?

From the way back time capsule: My father-in-law said I made whopping biscuits. I said what's that? He said you get the can out of the fridge and WHOP 'em on the counter to open 'em. 

I have since learned how to make homemade biscuits. 

I took my mom to get carryout Chinese and dropped her back off at home. She was thrilled. I will give her her present tomorrow.  I am glad Mother's Day is over because I got sick of everyone saying all week "have a happy Mother's Day!". Strangers, store workers, etc.  I don't hate my mother, but I hate Mother's Day. 

Sorry to be a bummer, I just got irritated with it this week for some reason. I felt put upon having to respond the whole week. I did not tell one single person to have a happy day. I just find it an awkward holiday.

In addition to homemade biscuits (the best!) and canned, I highly recommend the bag of Grands frozen biscuits. I believe there are 12 in the bag. Discovered these when my mom stayed with me while she was taking radiation treatment. Being a southern family, we love our biscuits but caring for her and working full-time did not leave me with the energy or desire to whip up homemade. These frozen biscuits are delicious and I love the convenience factor of baking just 2 or 3 and throwing the rest back in the freezer. I bake them on my silicone sheet. And another shortcut to accompany the biscuits...a packet of the Pioneer brand of cream gravy mix (I get the sausage cream gravy variety). YES! It takes 2 minutes to prepare and although not homemade, very satisfying. Once in a blue moon when we had leftovers, I just stored in a small container in the fridge and zapped the next day. Off to fix breakfast now.....

I find that quite odd, too.  I've never wished anyone other than my mom a happy Mother's Day.  It would never occur to me to say it to anyone else.

Agree, it's the continued Hallmark-ization of minor holidays, IMHO.

I made Ina's oven fried chicken and chocolate cake, with Cole slaw, fresh corn salad, and mashed potatoes. I decided to use premade biscuits. The grandmas and my mom were very happy ladies! I'm not happy with how the oven fried chicken turned out, it didn't really get crispy, but I love the concept and will make tweaks for next time.

I also tried the oven fried chicken but didn't have great results. I think the temperature of the oil was too high (stupid bad thermometer) so I could only leave it in for a couple of minutes total. It came out of the oven fine, but it went from crispy to soggy in about 5 minutes. The biscuits I made were pretty good though!

I stopped baking the 'whopping biscuits' (aka 'canned', hee!) when I discovered the Grands frozen ones.  I agree that they are good and I also like being able to fix two or three instead of way too many.  I still make 'whopping cinnamon rolls' now and then though.

A little bit earlier this spring, Ina's white trees that line her garden were in full bloom.  I think they're so beautiful when I see them on her show, but I never was sure what they were.  In her blog, she mentions them, and they're crabapple trees.  Since I've never heard Ina say anything about canning them, I assume they're planted for their ornamental value.

Anzeepark and ShoePrincess, please do report back on your Paris adventures when you return! Particularly on everything you ate and drank!

@SPUNKYGAL:  We had a good week in the 7th arrondisement (Left Bank)which I highly recommend as a lovely place to stay.  It's quiet and not as crowded as the Right Bank.  I never got to Cafe Varenne, unfortunately (since it's Ina Garten's favorite cafe I wanted to try it out)...it wasn't open when we were ready to go there. This may sound odd but the best food was at a small restaurant called La Romantique and is Italian!  We ordered a seafood w/ linguine dish and almost changed our minds when we learned it wasn't in a red sauce (which we like w/ seafood). The waiter (from Sardinia) said they could add red sauce and wow--they need to put that on their menu. It was the best!  We shared an appetizer that was like an antipasta: grilled eggplant slices, some leafy greens, prosciutto, and parmigiana-reggiano (I drizzled some fine Modena balsamic vinegar and olive oil over it).  Interesting sherbet/ice cream small balls (coconut, caramel, pineapple) for dessert. Another memorable meal was lunch at the Rodin Museum's outdoor "tea house" (lovely wraps and raspberry tarts).  We didn't hit any of the big restaurants because of their menu offerings: veal, lamb, andouille (a/k/a tripe sausage which I accidentally ordered once in Nice) and sauted or baked fish, none of which we care for. So we stuck with the cafes. I ordered steak & frites several times--quite good.  In one cafe near the Eiffel Tower (Cafe Theresse??) we ordered roast chicken & mashed potatoes. Sounds prosaic but oh my--it was the finest chicken & mashed potatoes we've ever had.  Mr. P914 doesn't drink but I ordered pinot grigios and chardonnays most evenings w/ dinner, all quite delicious.  We stopped in a patisserie one day and I bought macarons since I've never had them and they're raved about so much. I got 2 "rose" and 3 "vanilla" (they were the miniature size).  Quite good but I'm kicking myself for not buying some Napoleons (sheesh...what was I thinking?)  While waiting at our gate at the airport, I moseyed into the duty free shop, spotted & grabbed a glass bottle that looks like the Eiffel Tower, that has extra virgin olive oil in it, and fought my way to the cashier (it was like a war zone in there with lots of mega-aggressive women from an unnamed section of the world pushing and shoving...I used my elbows and stood my ground!)  Very glad to be home in the land of ice cubes. Highly recommend Hotel Empereur (get a room facing Napoleon's Tomb). Lovely views and cool breezes.

(edited)

StewedSquash, you are NOT boring!  Far from it!  :)  Look at all the French people who came here and never left, especially chefs!  I know you were kidding, but I couldn't resist a remark!

Edited by Lura

They include real juice, and sugar instead of high-fructose corn syrup.

(Some bottles in the US sold as Mexican Coke had HFCS, so when trying to get the "real thing" version here in the US, buyer beware.)

AnnzeePark, sounds like a wonderful time! We also discovered a wonderful Italian place on Rue de Berri on our first trip and ate there on subsequent trips. I smiled reading about the roast chicken and mashed potatoes meal. I've just finished Julia Child's memoir, My Life in France, and she wrote of the sublime deliciousness of a buttery roasted chicken that only the French take time to perfect! Although you passed on the Napoleons this time, you can make up for it on your next trip! One thing we still laugh about...on one of our trips I ordered crème brulee at a bistro. It was the worst crème brulee I've ever had! The sugar top had not been scorched properly and did not pass the "crack test." And the crème consistency was grainy, not silky smooth as you'd expect. Somewhere I have a picture of the world's worst crème brulee ironically made by a chef in Paris! The rest of the meal was delicious though. One other thing we still laugh about. We had a bottle of wine at lunch one day and then found a darling shop where I purchased an outdoor thermometer mounted on handpainted tin. Just lovely. It wasn't until I got home and installed it on my back porch that I realized it was in celsius.... OF COURSE, DUH! Morale of the story is don't go shopping right after wine at lunch! Glad you had a good trip!

The best part of the Julia Child challenge was that Jacques Pepin was the guest judge for it.  It was nice to see on the cheftestants' faces how happy there were to be sitting there listening to Jacques Pepin talk about Julia Child.

The Celsius thermometer story gave me a good chuckle, Spunkygal

The Celsius thermometer story gave me a good chuckle, Spunkygal

Funny, Spunkygal...because I spotted one of these near St Chapelle and thought, hey, this would be fun to have in the kitchen.  One of them had that rooster you see on so many French decorative items.  Didn't get it, then regretted it so we started looking at all of them the rest of our trip and couldn't find one with a rooster.  Then, my DH noted that they were outdoor thermometers (why didn't I notice that?).  These thermometers had both C and F.  Re: your experience with the not so wonderful creme brulee?  I tried chilled cucumber soup (shades of Miss Ina!).  Awful!  It tasted like pureed cucumbers, totally blah.  Now I want to find a recipe to make roast chicken and mashed potatoes that will taste as divine as what we had at Cafe Theresse.

Yes, I did suffer through this underwhelming season of Top Chef. Gah! I can't even remember who won now and don't care. Bastet, I agree that having Jacques join them was the delight of the season and a must in my opinion. I would have deleted the season from my DVR if he had not been included for Julia's tribute. I won't berate TC too much here since it has its own forum but I have to say that Masterchef UK The Professionals has spoiled me for any other cooking reality show. If you watch cooking reality shows because you are a food whore (like me) and not for the ridiculous drama or the obnoxious swearing "mentor" (see Gordon Ramsey), this series is a must see. Sadly, BBA America has aired only the 2011 and 2012 seasons and has repeated them several times, but I watch every time. I have emailed BBC America several times asking them to please air the more recent seasons. Michel Roux Jr. was the main judge and offered constructive, calm criticism and the show is all about preparing good, innovative food. However, Michel had a falling out with the station about his endorsement of some potato brand and has been replaced as head judge.

AnnzeePark, if you are going to try to replicate your yummy mashed potato and roasted chicken meal, please find Julia's buttery roasted chicken recipe online. It looks pretty easy. And I wonder if your mashed potato was similar to Joel Robuchon's potato puree? I believe it is two parts real butter to one part potato. A business associate treated me to dinner at his restaurant at the MGM Grand in Vegas in 2011 and believe me, that potato puree is the best thing I have ever put in my mouth. For my last meal, just bring me buckets and buckets of the stuff. I've seen this recipe online, too. Did you also get hooked on the awesome baguettes while in Paris? I don't know what they do, but I have not found any baguette here that can hold a candle to those.

• Love 1

@Spunkygal:  Yes, I had baguettes for breakfast every morning (along with good butter and slices of salami, and an outstanding fresh fruit mix...since I was always the last one in the little dining area in the hotel, I'd drink the juice when I finished the fruit) and couldn't resist them when out for lunch or dinner.  Didn't gain any weight since I was schlepping all over the place.

I found a roast chicken recipe at food.com and Cook's Illustrated's recipe for "aligot" (French styled mashed potatoes) but I'm going to look up Julia's recipe.  A few years ago I recommended My Life in France to my book club and on the day we met to discuss it, we had more members showing up than I'd ever seen before. Everyone was so impressed with this memoir of Julia's (I enjoyed the movie as well).  So, does anyone know where in Paris that Ina's apartment is located?

Hey ladies, I could use some help. My cousin just had twins (yay!) and I took her food last week that she could freeze for later, stuff that was easily microwavable, and one fresh dinner "kit," that they could eat right away. I made lasagna, meatballs with sauce, and a taco kit with fresh salsa and guacamole. She also has a 3 year old, so I wanted to make things he could eat as well (although that's not as vital). I'm thinking chicken pot pie for the next round, but could use suggestions! She and her husband are not super adventurous eaters, but I would say more so than the average person. No food allergies either. Has anyone frozen roasted vegetables? I'd like to avoid casseroles with canned soup, too, lol.

No, but what a great idea! I could also make waffles, those freeze wonderfully! Did you have anything specific in mind? If I make something with eggs, do I freeze it before or after cooking it?

Stratas are a wonderful menu item - any meal, And freeze well. I used to wrap individual slices for my father to quickly microwave.

Some type of vegetable salad (greek, bean, etc) or fruit salad can last a while in the refrig.

• Love 1

When my mom was dying at home I made many things to stock the freezer for my dad: little meatloaves for only a couple of servings, muffins, pasta (sort of a deconstructed lasagna with smaller pasta to make it easier for my dad to feed it to my mom), can't remember what else but I'll post if I do).  I agree with the quiche suggestion, too,  but think you could likely cook it before freezing.

• Love 1

You know, Bastet, I ask my kitties to do things like clean up the kitchen, too, and they never do them, either. I thought they were just lazy but perhaps it's a species thing.

Mine steadfastly refuse to get jobs!  Freeloaders!  *off to make scratch biscuits*

• Love 2

Yep, freeloaders, all of them.   Baxter ran up numerous vet bills beyond the usual check-ups and blood tests in his lifetime, some quite expensive (bless him, I'd give anything to still be shelling out the dough), so I often told him, "You need to get a job."  Also, "You're lucky you're so cute."

Chester the Physical Therapy Supervisor was a "clearance kitty" -- the shelter has a "Seniors for Seniors" program where the adoption fee is really low when people over a certain age adopt a pet over a certain age, and since my mom was 70 and he was 8, they qualified.  Well, he promptly cost over a thousand dollars in lab tests, ultrasound, colonoscopy, etc. to determine the source of his significant intestinal issues.  (He's fine now; he has IBD, and symptom-free thanks to a raw diet.)  So my mom will tell him, "Some discount you turned out to be." 

They're worth every penny, of course.  But it's fun to josh them a bit.

• Love 4

Yep, freeloaders, all of them.   Baxter ran up numerous vet bills beyond the usual check-ups and blood tests in his lifetime, some quite expensive (bless him, I'd give anything to still be shelling out the dough), so I often told him, "You need to get a job."  Also, "You're lucky you're so cute."

Chester the Physical Therapy Supervisor was a "clearance kitty" -- the shelter has a "Seniors for Seniors" program where the adoption fee is really low when people over a certain age adopt a pet over a certain age, and since my mom was 70 and he was 8, they qualified.  Well, he promptly cost over a thousand dollars in lab tests, ultrasound, colonoscopy, etc. to determine the source of his significant intestinal issues.  (He's fine now; he has IBD, and symptom-free thanks to a raw diet.)  So my mom will tell him, "Some discount you turned out to be." 

They're worth every penny, of course.  But it's fun to josh them a bit.

Hi all you fellow pet lovers, look into getting vet health insurance. It will pay off in the long run. There are a lot of options, so you should research which company might work best for your situation.

My sweet little dog (see avatar photo) was diagnosed with lymphoma last summer and went through a full course of chemo, which cost almost $10K, the insurance paid about 80%. I could not have afforded the full cost on my own. He's in remission now and seems to be doing pretty well. Get the insurance.

I'm glad it's working for you (and very happy about the remission!).  Every time I've crunched the numbers, I've come to the same conclusion for me Consumer Reports did for most people: it makes more financial sense to have a pet savings account than pet insurance.

• Love 1

Mine steadfastly refuse to get jobs!  Freeloaders!  *off to make scratch biscuits*

Mine tell me it's the lack of opposable thumbs that prevents them from helping around the house. A likely excuse!

On topic - for freezer meals, what about barbeque pulled pork or chicken? Heats up great for sandwiches.

• Love 1

^^I do this regularly^^

Pulled pork in a bbq type sauce. Shredded chicken in a jerk type sauce. Loosemeat(beef) just plain so it can be made into a cheeseburger or sloppy joe or taco, when needed. Rice freezes well, too.

Pancakes and muffin sized frittatas (spinach, cheese, mushrooms) Sausage biscuits and snack size bag of gravy work out well. Also, ham or bacon, egg and cheese burritos. I also make a homemade version of an Arby's Beef and Cheddar. I make my own onion rolls, deli sliced roast beef, shredded cheese, and Western dressing. Pack them in a single sandwhich bag and freeze. Just heat and eat.

And brownies. Don't forget the brownies.

• Love 1

I feel like a heel for saying that I know where Ina's apt. is, but I can't tell.  My husband and I were looking into doing the same thing Ina does, so I wrote to her about a real estate agent.  That's how things got started.  She wound up telling me where they live but swore me to secrecy. 

You could do it backwards.  Find out which arondisement (sp?)  Ina lives in.  I remember finding it before I wrote to her.  This was years ago, so I can't recall how.  Then, on one of her shows, she mentions the name of the street market where she shops.  It might have been on the Paris show.  THEN, somewhere online I found a map of all the street markets in Paris and found hers.  She lives fairly close there.

If you wanted to catch her coming and going, that would be a pretty good spot to be at.  It really didn't take me a lot of time -- or maybe I just asked the right questions, which would have been luck.  It seems to me that this exchange went on after her very first season, so some of the details are fuzzy.  Oh --- one other thing might help to know.  She lives in one of the better sections, but not the very best, I believe.  You'll find info about one that many Americans live in, and that's Ina's.  I'm very sorry I can't help more, but this should get you pretty close to her doorstep, I think. 

I LOVE these pet stories!  I think they're almost better than talking about Ina!  lol

• Love 1

Stewedsquash, you have me laughing!  I meant my first reply to be nice, but when I came along and read it again, it struck me as snippy.  I thought, "I need to tell my friends where she lives, but not tell them!"  LOL  So, I pretty much led folks to her door!  LOL  At least my conscience is clear; I didn't type her address!

I LOVE your little boy story.  What a doll!  He sounds exactly like my post!  I can just about picture him, so sure that he hadn't given away the secret!

When I was little, I saved my allowance for 11 months to be able to buy my parents some bathroom scales.  I hid them in my closet, sure that my parents would never find them there.  It never crossed my mind that my mother swept the closet once a week!  At least, the store lady had wrapped them in plain, brown paper, so my mother couldn't see what was inside.

I was at a potluck lunch today, and heard one of the women at my table mention that when she is looking for a recipe, the first place she goes to is "Barefoot Contessa". I was helping the hostess with prep and clean-up. She is my food professional friend, and noticed she had a "Contessa Inspired" frozen dinner in her freezer. Even she keeps emergency frozen dinners! Made me feel better about having the same.

I was asked to bring an appetizer, and brought Cook's Country "Crabby Deviled Eggs" dish. It was a big hit. Since we're in Maryland, I made sure to use fresh Maryland crab meat in the filling. Yummy food day.

• Love 4

This is an interesting article about Ina's apartment in Paris. For whoever was wondering where exactly it is, she mentions several specific landmarks that are within walking distance. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out the location.

http://www.barefootcontessa.com/downloads/Town_and_Country.pdf

@vera charles:  Thanks for the link.  I'd forgotten about this wonderful article.  I tried to walk to Cafe Varenne after touring the Rodin Museum & Garden but after several loooong blocks, my back began to ache and I turned around and went back to our hotel on the other (north?) side of Napoleon's Tomb.  And if she's near Bon Marche--heck, we took the metro there & it was a couple stops + a change of trains (love the musician playing classical music inside our train!) so we weren't staying in her area but maybe not all that far.  The 7th arrondissement is just what we wanted: beautiful, calm, and easy to get to various sites in Paris.

I was at a potluck lunch today, and heard one of the women at my table mention that when she is looking for a recipe, the first place she goes to is "Barefoot Contessa". I was helping the hostess with prep and clean-up. She is my food professional friend, and noticed she had a "Contessa Inspired" frozen dinner in her freezer. Even she keeps emergency frozen dinners! Made me feel better about having the same.

I was asked to bring an appetizer, and brought Cook's Country "Crabby Deviled Eggs" dish. It was a big hit. Since we're in Maryland, I made sure to use fresh Maryland crab meat in the filling. Yummy food day.

Yum, I love any iteration of deviled eggs, especially with crab or crawfish! I make chipotle deviled eggs, and also one where make them the classic way but with a crispy piece of bacon on top.

I loved this season of Top Chef.  I thought that many of the cheftestants were among the best I'd seen, and the challenges were, for the most part, quite clever and interesting.  Since Boston was my hometown for many years, I enjoyed seeing them serve food at Fenway Park, and they even made Thanksgiving at Plymouth Colony complete with descendants of the original Indian tribe.  All the way through, I wanted Gregory to win, but he came in second to Mei (not bad!)  I fell in love with George, who IMHO had the sweetest personality on the show -- among the men, anyway.  I've watched the series three or four times, and each time I see things that I never noticed before.  I think they must be winding up filming next season's show about now.

(edited)

I really liked the challenges on this season of Top Chef, too.  Some of them had difficulty to them, but for the most part, it was a fairly vague umbrella of theme, and more "cook great food."  

I really loved the Thanksgiving episode, and found it hilarious that Native Americans used lobster as bait.  LOLOLOL

And I don't care if Bostonians don't see Cheers as indicative or representative of their city, because I get that, but I loved the bar snack challenge at Cheers.  I thought it was brilliant.  NORM!

Edited by larapu2000

What's this about Bostonians not seeing Cheers as being representative of their city?  I didn't know that.  I lived there several years (a long time ago, back when Boston was still adorable and didn't have all those big ol' glass skyscrapers swallowing up all the little historic bldgs in their shadows) and IMO, several of the actors got those accents down pat (especially Cliff, his mother, and Carla & her kids).

Also...I thought in this Small Talk Don't Tell Jeffrey thread, we could talk about stuff other than BC shows and Ina.

• Love 1

It is for non-show stuff, but I assume anything more than brief discussion of another show that has its own forum should go in that forum.

It was the bar used as the exterior on Cheers, not the show itself, being referenced -- a tourist attraction rather than a hangout for locals.

I've been to Boston several time and always enjoyed it ... except the time I was there in Dec/Jan, because I hate temperatures that cold.  But a day spent playing in the snow in Vermont was nice. 

Hmmm....whenever I see that exterior shot I remember going to the Hampshire House which was the first level of that bldg., & feeling so sophisticated. A woman was playing a grand piano while well dressed folks were sipping cocktails.  I had no idea that there was a fun bar downstairs (complete with Cliffie & Naaaahm ;>)

Will somebody please tell me whether the frozen Grands rolls are made by Pillsbury or by some other company?  I'd really like to buy some, but I'm not clear on what rolls are being talked about  (up near the top of this page).  I'd sure appreciate it!

Speaking of Boston, my husband and I have tried to find out how that woman is doing -- the one hit by the broken bat at a game at Fenway.  She was hospitalized in pretty bad shape at first, but we've read nothing more since.  Maybe I'll google it.

Every time someone mentions Boston, my heart aches with homesickness.  It's the most wonderful place to live.  The years there were the best years of my life so far.

Will somebody please tell me whether the frozen Grands rolls are made by Pillsbury

Magic 8 ball - okay, Google - says yes.

Speaking of Boston, my husband and I have tried to find out how that woman is doing -- the one hit by the broken bat at a game at Fenway.

She's moved from hospital to rehab facility and reportedly continues to recover quite well considering her injuries.