Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Don't Tell Jeffrey!

• Start Topic

I think preference for boxed cake over homemade depends on what you are looking for. I don't like cakes made from mixes because they have a much smaller crumb and moister texture. I know people who have always eaten mixes who think homemade cake is dry, since it isn't spongy like mix. To each his own, I guess.

Has anyone seen any new BC shows lately, or haven't there been any?  I stopped looking for new ones a while back because even with her new book out and a couple of new episodes, more new episodes didn't seem to be coming.  Hence, I don't watch Ina anymore unless there happens to be an old one that I particularly liked.  This is such a departure from the old days when I wouldn't have missed a BC episode for anything.

Besides my question (above), I'm also wondering how others on this thread feel.  Are you still watching Ina's reruns every day?  If not, how often?  Finally, have you heard anything about new episodes in the future?  Thanks, everybody.

Interesting, Whitney.  A lot of people have never seen Ina's first shows.  I recorded the first couple of years of her shows and watched them over and over and over!  I think I had them memorized.  :)  Maybe I'll have to write to the FN (not that they answer questions) or to Ina.  I have a sneaking suspicion that Ina is winding down her TV show so that she can retire with Jeffrey and focus on her businesses, write a cookbook once in a while, and do what she wants.

I recently discovered the Great British Bake Off on PBS, and it is a lovely show! No mean people, no massive drama, just nice people baking delicious things. The judges are wonderful, too, they instruct versus just telling them what was wrong. Highly recommended!

• Love 2

larapu2000, I keep forgetting that the Great British Bake Off is on, but I've caught several episodes.  I agree, it's so refreshing to see a show without the drama and the yelling.  Even when there is criticism, it's helpful and 'nice'.  I don't think I've ever watched a show where I like ALL the contestants and ALL the judges. 

chessiegal:

I have this picture in my head of Christopher Kimball's (Americas Test Kitchen) head exploding if someone told him a box cake mix was better than something their test kitchen made. This is going to make me see if I can find where they did a taste test with their audience on box vs. scratch.

They did that with brownies. The conclusion by the tasters was that box mix had better texture, but came up short on flavor. So they worked on coming up with a recipe that improved the texture, but had richer flavor. Now I want to find that recipe.

chessiegal:

They did that with brownies. The conclusion by the tasters was that box mix had better texture, but came up short on flavor. So they worked on coming up with a recipe that improved the texture, but had richer flavor. Now I want to find that recipe.

@MsChicklet:  When you find that recipe, would you please share it here? I'm happy with Ghirardelli walnut brownie mix but if ATK has a way to improve the flavor, I'm interested!

Thanks for the link!  I'll try these.  One thing I've done over the past couple years when making brownies (from a mix, of course :>) is to add a teaspoon of vanilla.  It really makes the brownies taste better IMO.  But I always feel guilty for using a mix so at least now I'll have a "from scratch" recipe.

I just splurged, or husband did, on a lemon cake from The Cakery. I am saving it for his birthday later this month. It is so good. It is a dense two layer sheet cake, almost like a pound cake in texture and moisture, a layer of lemony curd and topped with a dense butter cream. It is sold in upscale restaurants, I get it from a food wholesaler. I am thinking about opening it now and eating the whole thing.

That cake sounds yummy.  I love anything lemony and lemon-flavored cakes always remind me of spring or summer.  Apparently I'm still stuck on fall recipes, because I'm thinking of making a loaf of pumpkin cranberry bread, mainly because I still have some pumpkin in the pantry and cranberries in the freezer leftover from the holidays.  I don't think I've ever made that particular recipe, although I've made cranberry orange bread, cranberry banana bread and I think even cranberry blueberry bread (I have a lot of cranberries in the freezer that I need to use up!). 

Love The Cakery products! I used to sell the hell out of those when I was a sales rep for US Foods, they were awesome for my customers with zero pastry/sweets skills. There are loads of awesome flavors, I think GFS stores carry a few if you live in the Midwest, or near a Restaurant Depot or US Foods Chef Store.

I'm excited for some big cooking ahead in April!! Easter and a party for my Grandma who is turning 90!

• Love 1

... I have a lot of cranberries in the freezer that I need to use up! .... 

Me too -- 12 oz bags for $1 in Nov, so I always buy at least 4 & use them during the year.  I like the cranberry version of this poundcake recipe in the 12/30/10 comment -- I use 2 tablespoons of cranberry juice instead of the rum & vanilla, & an orange glaze rather than lemon.  (The original recipe is also very good & I make it at least once each summer with all raspberries instead of blueberries, served with a sauce of macerated blackberries.)

That pound cake recipe sounds good.  I'm bookmarking the page for later.  I love to make pound cakes and am always looking for new recipes to try.

I decided against making the bread for several more days.  I'm trying to stick to my diet, so having fresh-baked goods in the house is not a good idea.  Even if I take most of it to work, I'll eat too many pieces before it gets there.  Anyway, I need to sort out my huge pile of recipes and organize them by type before I do any more cooking.  I tend to copy interesting recipes and then just stick them in a box.  Then, when I have ingredients I need to use (in season or on sale), I can never find the recipe I know I have somewhere that uses fresh blackberries, cranberries (or asparagus, corn, etc.).  I also tend to get interested in a recipe 'type' and try several versions before I move on to something else.  A while back it was nuts--I made spicy nuts, citrus nuts, cinnamon-spiced nuts, etc.  Then it was snack mix--I made hot 'n spicy mix, Asian-inspired mix, sweet mix, etc.  I'm thinking about a muffin trend next.  So far, people at work haven't gotten burned out on my recipe type fixation. 

That cake looks delish!  Is it too late to have that instead of the baked chicken, green salad and broccoli/cauliflower medley I'm fixing for dinner?  (See, I'm trying to be good and eat healthy, but it's hard with links like that!)

Larapu2000 That is so cool! Small world! It's been several years since I had one of the cakes so I had some details wrong. The place is The Original Cakerie and it has three layers. And yes! I was introduced to them by US Foods. We had two great sales people. I used to love to go to their food shows and get samples galore, several times in Raleigh and once in Myrtle Beach. I ordered the cake this time through a local restuarant, the owners are friends of ours. Ahh, good times with US Foods. I need to find one of the chef stores you mentioned. I had no clue about them.

Here is the cake, and it really is that pretty. http://www.cakerie.com/foodservice/products/product-details/Super-Size-Lemons--Cream-Shortcake

It sounds like you live in one of the Carolinas. There is a US Foods Chef Store in Columbia, SC, and one in Charlotte.

All this talk about cakes (and the photo of the lemon cake) is making me long for Tiger Cake.  Unfortunately, I think it's only sold in the Minneapolis area.  It's a yellow cake with many layers and the 2 types of fillings are white chocolate mousse & regular chocolate mousse.  Oh, it is a thing of beauty (and I'm not much of a dessert lover but this cake touches my heart).  Has anyone had Tiger Cake?  Is it sold outside of the Mn area?  We only get to the Mn area once a year so I'd love to be able to get this cake in between visits if possible.

I tell ya, US Foods/The Original Cakerie  supply your wishful demands!  http://www.cakerie.com/retail/products/product-details/Super-Size-Triple-Chocolate-Tiger-Cake

Looks like a good attempt from this bakery but I prefer the chocolate mousse version mentioned by annzeepark914, above, i.e. not buttercream.  Guess I'm a purist about my chocolate.

Our local bakery (not MN) does a great version of Tiger cake.  They sell it by the slice so it's tough to even pass by w/o indulging.  Now I'm curious if someone's from MN!

Agree, Tiger cake's the best ...

I'm not positive it's mousse for the filling but that's what it tastes like to me.  If it is buttercream...it's the most divine buttercream I've ever tasted!

I went to the website but couldn't find a list of prices (for the cake and for shipping).  For some reason, I thought there were more layers/fillings.

I'm not positive it's mousse for the filling but that's what it tastes like to me.  If it is buttercream...it's the most divine buttercream I've ever tasted!

I went to the website but couldn't find a list of prices (for the cake and for shipping).  For some reason, I thought there were more layers/fillings.

There are probably multiple yummy versions of it but our bakery calls it "Tiger Mousse Cake" and definitely uses mousse!  IIRC, it includes white chocolate, dark chocolate and mocha mousse so 7 layers total, i.e. 4 - cake and 3 - mousse.

Good luck finding it, annzeepark914!

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 1

Interesting tips from Ina re: keeping tulips looking fresh in her email today.  I always fill the vase up to the top but she says tulips only need a small amount of water in the vase and not to change the water.  I don't know about adding bleach to the water, though.  I just love pale pink tulips (or white tulips).

QuoteQuote

See, I have bought the Ghirardelli brownie mix from Costco and have had dismal results. Everyone says they are the best and I do believe them. I just can't seem to get them right. They never turn out the way I want. The box mix I use with great results is the Duncan Hines kind. Any version. And any type, chewy or adding the extra egg to get it more cake like. But I gave away a Ghirardelli box, probably the third box I bought from Costco (and you know they are huge!) because I was so disappointed. I don't understand.

It depends on what you are looking for in a brownie. I love the Ghiardelli mix because I like a fudgy brownie that doesn't taste raw, if that makes any sense. I find that most other mixes give a more cake-like consistency, which isn't what I am going for. And other mixes that are supposed to be fudgy just taste, to me, like they are undercooked, which I don't like. I guess the reason there are so many varieties is because everybody's taste is different. : )

I bake many things from scratch - cakes, pies, tarts, cookies - and my son was very disappointed to find out, when he was in elementary school, that I made brownies from mix. But those are the ones that we like. I also use Krusteaz mix for lemon bars. I haven't found any recipe that comes close to how good they taste.

Edited by vera charles

I also use Krusteaz mix for lemon bars. I haven't found any recipe that comes close to how good they taste.

I agree (although Sunkist brand is pretty good, too).  Lemon bars are one of the few baked goods that I've never been able to do well from scratch.  I can't seem to get the lemon flavor right.  Either they'll permanently pucker up your mouth or they are bland, so I stick to mixes for those.  (Although I'm still planning to make some Cranberry Curd Bars from scratch soon).  Unless I run out of time (I'm doing my spring cleaning this weekend), I'm going to bake something fairly easy to take to work on Monday.  I have a recipe for a blueberry coffee cake or some Neapolitan Cream Cheese Bars (chocolate cookie crust, vanilla cream cheese filling and fluffy strawberry frosting on top).  I'll see what I'm in the mood to cook tomorrow afternoon!

• Love 2

I decided on something really easy to bake to take to work.  I made a pan of Chocolate Raspberry Cobbler.  It uses mixes/cans so isn't 'from scratch', but it so easy and so tasty.  It only calls for raspberry pie filling spread in a greased baking dish (although some of the reviews online used fresh/frozen berries with a little sugar), a pouch of double chocolate chunk chocolate cookie mix sprinkled on top, and 3/4 cup of melted butter poured on top and lightly spread around.  Bake at 350 for approx. 30 minutes.  It's sweet with a tiny tart taste in the background and is excellent warm with whipped cream on top.  The only thing I did differently was that I had to bake it in a larger pan than it called for so it didn't have much height (my only other choice was too small and I was afraid that it would spill over).

I have a question. I volunteered to make a deviled egg recipe from our club's cookbook to serve at our next meeting to hopefully sell off the remaining 160 cookbooks we have left from our latest reprinting. It was recommended as a "keeper". The recipe is called "Caesar Deviled Eggs" and calls for using dried Caesar salad mix, which I've found Kraft's Good Seasons brand sells, however, I have not been able to find it in 7 different grocery chains in my area. Italian, Ranch, Balsamic, Herb - yes, but not Caesar. Has anyone seen it? My in-the-trade consultant and I have decided on a DIY mix, but I'm curious. I'm thinking that the 9 years ago this cookbook was put together it must have been easier to find.

Thanks, stewedsquash. For reasons I won't bore everyone with, no, swapping out the Caesar is not an option, but I've thought of several, including one with dill. I did find a reference on-line to possibly finding it at Walmart - a small hike for me, but no more than I did today. I think I'll swing by when I'm in the 'hood this week. Makes me wonder if I could find it at Sam's, which is local.

stewedsquash, it is 'Double Chocolate Chunk Chocolate' cookie mix from Betty Crocker.  It was a pain to find.  I checked the website to make sure they still made it, and found some in the third store I checked.  It's a chocolate cookie with extra chocolate hunks in it.  I've made lots of dump cakes over the years.  Some are definitely better than others.  Many of them can turn out to have too much cake 'crumbs' (powdery stuff) left when you take it out of the oven.  This cobbler had a crust like thin brownies.  I didn't find any of the 'raw' powder left, which was good.

I think I still have one of those salad dressing bottles in the back of the pantry somewhere.  I bought it along with some mix years ago and never used it, but it's something that I never really want to throw away, even if I'll never use it.

With a little more looking on-line, I found a post from Kraft responding to a question on FB saying they had discontinued their dry Caesar salad mix (post was from 2013). End of search and on to homemade.

Totally unrelated to anything we've been discussing, but I had to laugh at myself just now.  I have two cats and when I suspect that one might be sick, I always have to keep them isolated in different parts of the house so that I know 'who did what' in the litter boxes (when the suspected sickness is 'gastro' related).  My cat Maggie May has pica, which means she eats non-food things.  She loves plastic bags, especially grocery bags.  I try so hard to make sure that no bags are anywhere where she can get to them, but I forgot and left one on the kitchen table about a week ago.  I discovered it the next day after she had eaten some of it.  I watched her for days and figured out that as long as she was eating and wasn't throwing up, she was probably using the litter box okay.  Well, yesterday morning she threw up all over the hall runner.  Panic time!  I immediately isolated her with a litter box, food and water.  I would give her a day or so and if she didn't 'produce' I would call the vet.  As of when I came home from work--nada.  I just got home from a meeting and she had produced a nice specimen for me.  Yay!  Now here comes the funny part:  I know that cats can't tell you what's wrong so you have to observe their habits and make decisions based on that, but since yesterday around lunchtime, I've been coddling her, checking the litter box about every hour and pleading with her that if she would 'please poop for mommy' and 'go on--just a little poop',  I would let her out of the bedroom and she could play with her sister (Alice).  And when I saw that she had left me a present in the litter box I cheered, praised her ('you're such a good little baby girl', 'that's a nice poop') and gave her a hug.  Only cat (and dog) people will understand, but I feel much better (and I'm sure she does, too, since that's the first BM she's had in at least a day and a half.  I probably made her nervous with my checking up).  Now I think I can eat a little dinner, but I'll keep an eye on her for a couple more days, in case this is not the end of the story.

On a food-related note, I took that Chocolate Raspberry Cobbler to work and it seemed to be a hit.  I might make something else near the end of the week to take.

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 6

She loves plastic bags, especially grocery bags.

One of our kitties is the same and I have read that eating plastic actually releases a chemical that causes a high for cats.

We also had a cat that bit through the styrofoam and ate most of a dry cup-o-noodles mix that I had on the table to give to a food bank or something. Different issue, perhaps?

One of our kitties is the same and I have read that eating plastic actually releases a chemical that causes a high for cats.

Oh, goody.  She's already odd, I don't need high on top of that!  I read that the plastic eating can be a sign of a vitamin or mineral deficiency.  I don't know.  She's around 11 years old now, and since the vet hasn't been able to find anything wrong with her, I've just resigned myself to keeping bags out of her reach, as well as the plastic shower curtain and--when there's nothing else to nibble on--the hanging end of the toilet paper (I have to keep a washcloth draped over the roll so that she can't find the end and pull it down).  Another funny story:  Last night, I was talking with an older gentleman and we had just finished discussing my cat's love for plastic bags.  We then moved on to his health issues with the circulation in his legs and feet.  He remarked that one of his doctors thought that part of his problem might be a vitamin deficiency.  I asked him if he had any urges to eat plastic grocery bags.  He laughed.

My "nephew" (friend's cat) is a plastic eater, too, so when I kitty sit I have to be sure not to leave anything accessible.  My late Baxter loved to lick all things plastic, but never ate it -- maybe he was trying to get high without the obstruction risk.

• Love 2

My world is spinning.  That Lemons and Cream Shortcake looks so amazing that I thought I'd swoon at the sight of it!  I love anything lemon, and that cake is full of it.  I, too, looked for prices but saw none listed.  I'm going to return to the Cakerie later today and check out all of their baked goods.

Stewedsquash, you gave the best answer! I would suggest anyone interested look into retail outlets for distributors,like GFS Marketplace, US Chef Stores, or Restaurant Depot. Probably not Costco or Sam's, but I'm single so I have no clue what those stores stock!

There is also a website called Foodservicedirect.com that lets you order foodservice items online, but not sure if they sell frozen food.

StewedSquash and Larapu, thank you for the great description of the cake and how to go about ordering one, but I'm going to hold off on doing so.  It sounds like it's just too much cake for us and even for a dinner party of the size we usually have.  That's a LOT of cake!  lol   We might be eating it for five years.

Books Rule, I missed your cat story the last time I was here.  We once had a similar experience with our two cats (now deceased), and I know how you felt!  I hope that things are still "moving smoothly!"

• Love 1

Lura, I think everything's okay so far.  I haven't been trying to 'catch her in the act', but she's been acting just fine and hasn't thrown up anymore (that I can find).  I get paranoid about my spoiled rotten furbabies sometimes.  I did catch her licking the plastic shower curtain liner, so I've been trying to remember to pick it up and drape it over the towel rack every day out of her reach. 

I just got inside from pulling weeds in my front yard.  The coming darkness and gnats drove me in.  I know the neighbors think I'm crazy, pulling them up instead of just mowing them over and using weed and feed in the yard, but these are tall easy-to-pull weeds and I'm getting a lot of satisfaction in seeing a big patch of yard cleaned out and just leaving the grass (or ground, as the case may be).  I'm also using my dethatching rake to get the dead stuff up as I clear a patch.  My yard might not end up totally perfect and green this year, but it'll look much better than last year and maybe next year I'll get full grass coverage.  That's the front yard--the back yard's a whole 'nother story (it's an overgrown jungle).  But more people see the front yard than the back, so I'm working on that part first.

All the above discussion about cakes really makes me want cake.  I'm trying to eat healthy, though, especially if I'm going to be doing a lot of yard work.  I want to work off some big time calories.  Maybe I can have a piece of cake on the weekend (although I would need a much smaller cake than the ones you guys have been describing!).

You're going to be in great shape, with all of that exercise, Books Rule.

I seldom read Ina's blog (and she seldom adds to it), but yesterday I noticed that her blog originated in Paris, where Ina said that she and Jeffrey were enjoying picnic lunches.  Their lunch that day sounded very much like the lunch they shared on her Paris show.  Something I found most interesting was her describing the differences between U.S. sandwiches and French sandwiches.  Depending on the bread, I think I'd prefer the French sandwich, but if the bread was wonderful, I'd enjoy the American version more, I think.  I won't describe the two and ruin her blog for anyone who hasn't read it yet.  After I read it, I had a real case of envy.  I could happily be in Paris right now.  "Maybe next year," I keep telling myself every year!

Oh, I much prefer European sandwiches to American. First, there is a lot of unpasteurized cheese used-yum! They use different combinations that are simple but wonderful. I still dream about a sandwich I got at the Munich train station! (Along with amazing cheese pies in Greece and fried cheese in Vienna)

I'm dying to go to France for some crusty bread sandwich action.

Edited to add: For anyone looking for smaller Cakerie items, I saw at Target that they had a bunch of 12" pieces in the bakery refrigerated case. Random sighting!

Edited by larapu2000
  • Love 1

Paris is one of my favorite cities in which to eat, and not really for the decadent dinners -- I have to go with Ina and say the sandwiches and snacks really seal the deal.

Chessiegal, late last night I found a recipe for dried Caesar salad dressing at Food.com.  It sounds good and authentic, and the two people who have made it rated it 5 stars.  I've tried twice to post a link, but it isn't working right at the moment.  I'd be happy to send it to you in a PM if you're interested.  Maybe I'm too late.  :(  PM me if you want it, and I'll keep trying to post a link.