Type keyword(s) to search

S30: So Kim

Donny Ketchum
  • Start Topic

She seemed a bit spaced out during her CBS video, but I still liked her in that and I liked her interview with Gordon Holmes. She's very aware of the problems women face on Survivor and in how they're edited on the show. She wants to change that, but also knows that she it's a balancing act because she doesn't want to come off as too threatening or aggressive. I'm very interested to see how she plays and I wish Survivor would cast more women who have this kind of thought process.

• Love 1

That pretty much blew up in her face.  As soon as she said "I've made everybody that works for me cry", I knew her ego would torpedo her.  She obviously just said that crap in her video to sound good.  Editing wasn't her enemy, it was the words coming out of her mouth and her superior attitude.

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 1

I wonder how she might've fared had she and her sister not had to withdraw from San Juan del Sur?

Not that she didn't deserve the boot, per se, but I'm curious as to why Carolyn fixated so strongly on her.  Joaquin was just as guilty of the deception as she was.  I'd have been warier about trusting him than I would've been her.

• Love 1

So, (no pun intended) how does So and Malcolm dating happen? Does he know she's on Survivor and looks her up? If I'm not mistaken Season 30 was done about 8 months ago and I guess he knows people who know people. LOL!! Anyway, he kind of disappoints me that he's dating a first boot. So, beneath him. IMO!! That said, she is so pretty but played way too hard. I was hoping she be like Brenda and get far into the game. It's too bad that Joaquin got left unscathed by the deceit whereas So got kind of screwed.

• Love 1

That pretty much blew up in her face.  As soon as she said "I've made everybody that works for me cry", I knew her ego would torpedo her.  She obviously just said that crap in her video to sound good.  Editing wasn't her enemy, it was the words coming out of her mouth and her superior attitude.

To be fair, she really paid for Joaquin's actions. Yes, she could have turned on him, but that wasn't necessarily the right play either.

I wonder how she might've fared had she and her sister not had to withdraw from San Juan del Sur?

Not that she didn't deserve the boot, per se, but I'm curious as to why Carolyn fixated so strongly on her.  Joaquin was just as guilty of the deception as she was.  I'd have been warier about trusting him than I would've been her.

Joaquin was MORE guilty--it was his idea. Remember, she wanted to go with the honest bag.

Carolyn fixated on her because I think (unfortunately quite typically) the women in this game tend to target and turn on each other a lot quicker than on the men.

• Love 4

What a disappointing player. I can't believe that Malcolm Freberg is dating that bad a Survivor player considering what a superfan he is.

Anyway, he kind of disappoints me that he's dating a first boot. So, beneath him. IMO!!

I don't get this. I really don't think where you place on Survivor has any bearing on who else you should date from the show. That's more about how well you connect with them and how much you enjoy spending time with them, which has nothing to do with Survivor, IMO. Plus we tend to think that the people who do well on Survivor are amazing people, but a lot of them aren't that accomplished in real life. Malcolm seems like a bit of a drifter and So seems way more accomplished in real life than he is, which I would think would have a bigger impact on their relationship than where they placed on the 30th season of a reality tv show. It's like when people say they can't believe Parvati is dating John Fincher, even though he is way more accomplished and smarter than her in real life.

Edited by wudpixie
  • Love 2

I don't get this. I really don't think where you place on Survivor has any bearing on who else you should date from the show.

I think the poster was making a joke about Kat, who was crying and upset that she got booted before the merge. She told her boyfriend, who was still playing "Who wants to date someone who got kicked out before the merge?" or she said it in a TH, I sort of blocked out the whole crying episode.

• Love 5

I know it sucks for So to come out there for two seasons in a row and only get to play 3 days, but Malcolm is certainly a good consolation prize.  As good as the million, though I think not as good as the Sole Survivor title.

PS I dunno who this dude is but he's not smarter and more accomplished than Parvati.

• Love 2

I know it sucks for So to come out there for two seasons in a row and only get to play 3 days, but Malcolm is certainly a good consolation prize.  As good as the million, though I think not as good as the Sole Survivor title.

PS I dunno who this dude is but he's not smarter and more accomplished than Parvati.

Uh...if you don't know who "the dude" is how can you automatically assume that he's not smarter and more accomplished than she is? That's not to say she isn't smart or isn't accomplished, but there are people who are more so.

• Love 2

Uh...if you don't know who "the dude" is how can you automatically assume that he's not smarter and more accomplished than she is? That's not to say she isn't smart or isn't accomplished, but there are people who are more so.

I just know.  "Smarter" and "more accomplished" are normative or whatever, not objective, and if I've never heard of him, and he's dating her (so he's not, like, David Bowie) then he's not, almost certainly, by the values I judge by.  If he's really a rocket scientist, then I am doubly convinced.

(edited)

I just know.  "Smarter" and "more accomplished" are normative or whatever, not objective, and if I've never heard of him, and he's dating her (so he's not, like, David Bowie) then he's not, almost certainly, by the values I judge by.  If he's really a rocket scientist, then I am doubly convinced.

So smart and accomplished in this case = well-known/a public figure? That's definitely not how I think of it. What about successful business people or scientists who are doing intelligent, groundbreaking work, but are not well-known among the mainstream community? Or who may not be well-known among certain communities (e.g. general population or tv fans), but are revered in others? There are a lot of people who have a ton of really positive qualities and are normal people, not public figures.

And I mean, we think Parvati's successful because she won a show that we're fans of and is considered to be a great player. But I don't know if doing well on a reality tv show and doing media work for the show makes you thought of as being successful in the grand scheme of things (especially for people other than us who don't care about the show at all). If you're going by the name recognition thing, then I don't think people outside of the Survivor fan community would know who she is. So if they used your standards of evaluating success then they'd probably say the same thing you said about "I've never heard of this person, they can't be that successful".

Also, what's wrong with being a rocket scientist?

Edited by wudpixie
  • Love 2
(edited)

Well according to Fincher's linkedin profile he is an MBA Candidate at Columbia and has no current companies listed that he is working at so he's not doing any groundbreaking work right now.

That could be true, but I'm speaking generally about the fact that I don't agree with the idea of "this person is more well-known in the reality tv community, which means they are more successful than this other person who isn't as well known in that community (or in general) and thus, is not in their league dating-wise". Just because someone isn't well-known for Survivor doesn't mean they aren't kind, smart, interesting, etc. in everyday life.

It might apply to John Fincher, it might not. And even if we're using Fincher as a specific example, getting an MBA from Columbia is impressive and for all we know maybe he is doing really groundbreaking work for his master's thesis or something. 

Edited by wudpixie

It's like when people say they can't believe Parvati is dating John Fincher, even though he is way more accomplished and smarter than her in real life.

In what ways is Fincher way more accomplished than Parvati?

(edited)

That could be true, but I'm speaking generally about the fact that I don't agree with the idea of "this person is more well-known in the reality tv community, which means they are more successful than this other person who isn't as well known in that community (or in general) and thus, is not in their league dating-wise". Just because someone isn't well-known for Survivor doesn't mean they aren't kind, smart, interesting, etc. in everyday life.

It might apply to John Fincher, it might not. And even if we're using Fincher as a specific example, getting an MBA from Columbia is impressive and for all we know maybe he is doing really groundbreaking work for his master's thesis or something.

I don't think we know much about Parvati or Fincher  outside of Survivor to consider one too good for the other. Parvati is the Health Editor for CBS which I think is impressive as well. I say this as someone who thinks Parvati overrated as a Survivor player. They both seem to be doing more than the average Reality TV contestant.

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 1

This I absolutely agree with.  I was kind of being a jerk because I feel like the anti-Parv wave is getting another high tide and it's annoying to me.  So I apologize for that.  I presume all the "So isn't good enough for Malcolm" stuff is a) a joke b) not about placement in the game but just that she is (edited as) arrogant and annoying or whatever (personally I thought she was fine) and c) more reflective of the fact that we all have a crush on Malcolm and want him for ourselves.  Hopefully, most people know that romantic compatibility has nothing to do with any of this stuff.  Just like people always say, regarding praying contestants, "God doesn't care about Survivor!", it's pretty inarguable that Love doesn't care about Survivor either.

As to the rocket scientist thing, again I was sort of just being a jerk, but in my experience successful scientists have to have a lot of focus on their specific work and that can lead to a kind of tunnel vision.  One of my best friends is a biologist who sometimes laments that the people he works with don't know anything about the literature or art that he's interested in, but he understands it because that's how science education is, super-focussed.

Anyway my point is I wish So & Malcolm all the best, and Parv and Mr. Fincher all the best.  Hooray for love!

• Love 5
(edited)

Does anyone know which Blood/Water II duo was the alternate pair who replaced So and [her] sister when they had to drop out?  

There was no alternate pair.  So and her sister dropped out at the very last minute, so they had no time to scramble for another two-woman pair.  That was why San Juan del Sur started with ten men against eight women.  Had So and her sister dropped out with more time to find another all-woman pair, there'd have been an alternate pair to cast in their place.

Edited by Donny Ketchum
  • Love 1

There was no alternate pair.  So and her sister dropped out at the very last minute, so they had no time to scramble for another two-woman pair.  That was why San Juan del Sur started with ten men against eight women.  Had So and her sister dropped out with more time to find another all-woman pair, there'd have been an alternate pair to cast in their place.

It's so strange that there was no alternate pair after what happened on the first BvW with RC and her dad.

• Love 3
(edited)

This I absolutely agree with.  I was kind of being a jerk because I feel like the anti-Parv wave is getting another high tide and it's annoying to me.  So I apologize for that.  I presume all the "So isn't good enough for Malcolm" stuff is a) a joke b) not about placement in the game but just that she is (edited as) arrogant and annoying or whatever (personally I thought she was fine) and c) more reflective of the fact that we all have a crush on Malcolm and want him for ourselves.  Hopefully, most people know that romantic compatibility has nothing to do with any of this stuff.  Just like people always say, regarding praying contestants, "God doesn't care about Survivor!", it's pretty inarguable that Love doesn't care about Survivor either.

As to the rocket scientist thing, again I was sort of just being a jerk, but in my experience successful scientists have to have a lot of focus on their specific work and that can lead to a kind of tunnel vision.  One of my best friends is a biologist who sometimes laments that the people he works with don't know anything about the literature or art that he's interested in, but he understands it because that's how science education is, super-focussed.

Anyway my point is I wish So & Malcolm all the best, and Parv and Mr. Fincher all the best.  Hooray for love!

No problem KimberStormer. I get how frustrating it can be when there's backlash against one of your favorite players and it's pretty inevitable that it happens to all of the well-known Survivor players. I do think people expressing criticism or backlash is okay though, as long as no one gets mean-spirited or vitriolic. Which, thankfully, doesn't tend to happen on this board.

I totally get what you mean about the rocket scientist thing now. I've had that experience so many times too, especially when someone is describing another person and says "They have a PhD. They're so smart." and I just want to be like uh, maybe they're smart or maybe they're just really knowledgeable about one small area. I've known way too many people with PhDs who fit into the latter group.

I don't think we know much about Parvati or Fincher  outside of Survivor to consider one too good for the other. Parvati is the Health Editor for CBS which I think is impressive as well. I say this as someone who thinks Parvati overrated as a Survivor player. They both seem to be doing more than the average Reality TV contestant.

The Health Editor position does sound interesting. Props to her for using her CBS connections and making a career out of all this craziness. For a while it seemed like she wasn't really interested in a full-time career, but maybe this was an especially good fit for her.

Even though Fincher didn't do as well as Parvati on Survivor, I always thought he was very intelligently analytical in many of his interviews (maybe except for one or two RHAP ones) both about Survivor and other topics. His level of analysis was something I never really saw from Parvati. But you're right, we don't really know enough about either of them in real life to say who's too good for who. As KimberStormer said, Survivor has nothing to do with love. Damn Kat for her "nobody wants to date someone who didn't make the merge" comment! 

Edited by wudpixie
  • Love 1

As I said in the episode thread, I feel bad for poor So.  Right now, it must suck to be stuck in Ponderosa with creepy Vince and whiny Nina.

I can only imagine Nina's emotions and rant when she arrived.  I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall for that.  I've always wished we got footage of the pre-merge boots at Ponderosa, before they're whisked off to wherever they go for the rest of the game.  So being so confident her tribe would be weak without her, then getting to see her reaction to Vince and Nina coming in next.  She was far from my favorite person this season, and I'm glad she got voted off first (even if she had potential for drama and perhaps clashes with people from the other tribes).  But I do feel sorry for her, in that she got an unlucky break twice.  Who knows if she'd ever get a 3rd chance, since this game isn't that kind to bringing early boots back for alumni seasons (though if Francesca got another shot I guess anything is possible).  I wish those ladies hadn't just accepted that a woman had to go first, but rallied together to vote one of the guys off.  Of course Joaquin pretty much let So take the fall for their lie, so there was that issue.  And So outing her alliance at the very first TC was as dumb as Nina telling Will that Vince was gunning for him.

• Love 2

Who knows if she'd ever get a 3rd chance, since this game isn't that kind to bringing early boots back for alumni seasons (though if Francesca got another shot I guess anything is possible).  I

Francesca only came back because of her drama with Captain Underpants.  And quickly proved that she deserved to go home her first season, it wasn't due to the crazy guy.

• Love 1

Whenever I see the title of this thread, I feel like I'm speed reading kids TV schedule from when mine was still into them - "So Raven" and "Kim Possible" blending together due to lack of sleep...

• Love 6

Well, hopefully, she'll have more normal company now that Lindsey and Max have joined her.

Well 50% of that pair is normal.

Yeah, half of each one of them. That does make for an average of 50% normalcy.

• Love 3

Now I really wish we got video of the pre-merge crowd.  That may be more entertaining than the actual show each week. 

I didn't like So, but I kind of wish she was still around.  Not at the expense of Carolyn, but I would have liked to have seen her mesh with the other ladies.

• Love 2

I thought So had so much potential. She seems like such an unlikely first boot. Most likely it's a woman but someone older. I guess she just wasn't meant for this game. She was out before she started & then voted out first before getting to play the game. She was preety cute, too.

• Love 1

At least So finally finally had her one and only ally (however brief) with her when Joaquin was voted off.  Maybe pre-merge Ponderosa was finally even with the crazies and non-crazies at that point.  I didn't like So mainly because of her attitude at wanting to get rid of Carolyn for being weak and older, but I kind of wish she was still around.  I don't know if her sister would ever get a second chance to do this (I never heard what the medical issue was), but I wonder if she would do any better.

Edited by LadyChatts

At least So finally finally had her one and only ally (however brief) with her when Joaquin was voted off.  Maybe pre-merge Ponderosa was finally even with the crazies and non-crazies at that point.  I didn't like So mainly because of her attitude at wanting to get rid of Carolyn for being weak and older, but I kind of wish she was still around.  I don't know if her sister would ever get a second chance to do this (I never heard what the medical issue was), but I wonder if she would do any better.

I bet she spent most of their time on the pre-merge trip with Joaquin.