Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Impala

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, rue721 said:

But sweet potatoes are healthy! They're good for you! ;)

When you make them properly with just themselves and a little cinnamon.  Sweet potato casserole with butter, a metric ton of brown sugar, spices, and nuts?  Diabetes in a glass dish.  And I'm addicted to it.  So.... I'll have a nice sweet potato with just cinnamon in the next couple of weeks... far away from any tempting Thanksgiving traditions. 

• Love 3
On 11/24/2016 at 4:49 PM, catrox14 said:

You know what's really sad? I have NO pie at all. I had to settle for pumpkin bread. The market was out when I went yesterday.

I wish I could send you some pie. We ended up with 10 pies!

• Love 2

Okay, now I have a question for you all. Mick and I got an invitation to a Christmas party. Price of admission? Ugly Christmas sweater! Know any websites, or actual sweaters? There's a prize involved, and I want to win!

• Love 1

Hee, Mick Lady. The best ugly sweaters are the ones they have on Jimmy Fallon's days of Christmas Sweaters (the number of days changes, but is usually around 12). And I believe that there is at least one company that does ugly Christmas sweaters, but they are likely going to be expensive and you'll be lucky to get them on time. One of those, the Tipsy Elves, were on Shark Tank, if I remember correctly. They have both ugly and tacky sweaters - and some that qualify as both! (For the men, I especially like the cat Christmas sweaters and the one with the huge, tacky, shiny, golden Christmas Present bow. Though Santa as a pole dancer on the North Pole is pretty amusing. And there's a Santa riding a unicorn.... in spaaace. The women's sweaters have some of those as well plus a Grandma got run over by a reindeer aftermath. There are just so many so bad they're good sweaters there. Not cheap though, that's for sure.

Another option: Depending on where you live, the local Goodwill might be a good place to try. When I lived in Indiana, I got most of my sweaters from Goodwill. They catalogued them by color - great for me, because I used to look for specific sweater colors to go with the bead necklaces that I used to make - and in general I could find good quality sweaters and better color choices than whatever sweaters they had in the stores that year (which was usually a select choice of whatever colors were "in" that year.) They also, however, had some really cheesy Christmas sweaters.

Edited to add: I also found this interesting site called the sweater store.They claim to have 25,0000 ugly Christmas sweaters to choose from online. (And lots of $15 choices - you can sort by price from low to high.) Their parent company, Ragstock, has 34 locations in 9 states where you can go and buy from 100s or 1000s of ugly Christmas sweaters in person. They have a store locator in the link I gave you.

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Mick Lady said:

Okay, now I have a question for you all. Mick and I got an invitation to a Christmas party. Price of admission? Ugly Christmas sweater! Know any websites, or actual sweaters? There's a prize involved, and I want to win!

Target also has an Ugly Sweater kit where you can make your own. It's simply gluing the various objects onto a sweater. They may also be at some Walgreen's but I saw them at Target today.

• Love 2

Just flipping channels and came across one of my favorite films of all time.  "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford".  Gods I LURRRRVE this film. Far too underrated IMO.

Casey Affleck was incrediable as the Coward Robert Ford, with a brilliant layered performance.  I saw every film and role nominated that year and I am forever bitter he lost out to Javier Bardem for, IMO, a one note performance in No Country for Old Men. YES I SAID IT and I feel better for it. The only other movie I loved as much as "Jesse James" was "There Will Be Blood".

But what a cast

Brad Pitt ( In a totally underrated performance)
Casey Affleck
Sam Sheppard
Garret Dillahunt
Mary Louise Parker ( totally underused but excellent anyway)
Jeremy Renner
Sam Rockwell ( I heart him)

Also, what an amazing year for film was 2007 ( just to name a few)
Assassination of Jesse James (should have been up for Best Picture too)
No Country for Old Men
There Will Be Blood
Juno
Atonement
Into the Wild

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Casey Affleck was incredible as the Coward Robert Ford, with a brilliant layered performance.

He really was. He could make his eyes go so flat and dead. It was fascinating to watch.

Wasn't 2007 also the year that Spiderman 3 came out? I know it has a seriously bad rap, but I loved that movie. Anybody here familiar with the Senator Theater in Baltimore? It closed for a while (ran out of money) but I think it might have opened again? It was this Art Deco era theater with only one big room (with a giant screen). Anyway, it was so fun to watch movies there because the whole crowd would get REALLY into it. Like, everyone would be gasping, cheering, booing, everything. Watching Spiderman 3 there on opening night was amazing. So was watching the Dark Knight.

The only other theater I've been to that could get like that was this $3 theater in Van Nuys. Well, $3/show most of the time, but $1/show on Tuesdays and Sundays. Anyway, that was also just one big room with one big screen. People would show up to the movies and just act like they were in their living rooms watching TV. Like, people would randomly talk on the phone, be in and out, whatever. Very casual. But this one time, I went there to watch this Halle Barry b-movie about a 911 operator called "The Call," and for some reason, EVERYONE in the audience got super, super into it. The whole theater was yelling at the screen, everything. It was a great vibe.

Well anyway! The point is that I agree, Casey Affleck was underrated, and that was actually a pretty great movie altogether!

• Love 1

Saying "hi" to all. I've read all your posts and I hope everyone ended up with a good Thanksgiving. I've had a boat-load of family here since Wednesday and I feel like I am very lucky indeed. Exhausted, but lucky. ;) I made two pies from scratch on Thanksgiving morning - pumpkin and dutch apple. The crazy part - I don't eat pie. I know, I know, what kind of a Deangirl am I??? But everyone else loves my pies, so I make them each year. The house is quiet now, so I got a chance to say hello. I should sleep well tonight!!!

• Love 2
21 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Hee, Mick Lady. The best ugly sweaters are the ones they have on Jimmy Fallon's days of Christmas Sweaters (the number of days changes, but is usually around 12). And I believe that there is at least one company that does ugly Christmas sweaters, but they are likely going to be expensive and you'll be lucky to get them on time. One of those, the Tipsy Elves, were on Shark Tank, if I remember correctly. They have both ugly and tacky sweaters - and some that qualify as both! (For the men, I especially like the cat Christmas sweaters and the one with the huge, tacky, shiny, golden Christmas Present bow. Though Santa as a pole dancer on the North Pole is pretty amusing. And there's a Santa riding a unicorn.... in spaaace. The women's sweaters have some of those as well plus a Grandma got run over by a reindeer aftermath. There are just so many so bad they're good sweaters there. Not cheap though, that's for sure.

Another option: Depending on where you live, the local Goodwill might be a good place to try. When I lived in Indiana, I got most of my sweaters from Goodwill. They catalogued them by color - great for me, because I used to look for specific sweater colors to go with the bead necklaces that I used to make - and in general I could find good quality sweaters and better color choices than whatever sweaters they had in the stores that year (which was usually a select choice of whatever colors were "in" that year.) They also, however, had some really cheesy Christmas sweaters.

Edited to add: I also found this interesting site called the sweater store.They claim to have 25,0000 ugly Christmas sweaters to choose from online. (And lots of $15 choices - you can sort by price from low to high.) Their parent company, Ragstock, has 34 locations in 9 states where you can go and buy from 100s or 1000s of ugly Christmas sweaters in person. They have a store locator in the link I gave you.

Livin' up to your screen name Awesom! Just checked the site and I'm going back now. I'll let you know what I get. Thank you!!!

• Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 8:40 PM, Diane said:

If you have a JCPenneys we have some.

Hey Diane, I love JCP! It's one of the many places I miss since retiring from NYC to rural (and I mean rural!) Idaho. There's a JCP about 50 miles from here, but I think I'll check their web site. Thanks for the tip!

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Mick Lady said:

Hey Diane, I love JCP! It's one of the many places I miss since retiring from NYC to rural (and I mean rural!) Idaho. There's a JCP about 50 miles from here, but I think I'll check their web site. Thanks for the tip!

That's my 2nd job, love the discount. I am finally off a day. It's been crazy worked 10 hours on thanksgiving, then between Friday and Saturday another 17. But I love it. My office job is boring, at Penneys I enjoy working with the teenagers and the public. You will have to post pictures of the ugly sweaters you get.

• Love 3
On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 0:53 PM, catrox14 said:

Just flipping channels and came across one of my favorite films of all time.  "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford".  Gods I LURRRRVE this film. Far too underrated IMO.

Casey Affleck was incrediable as the Coward Robert Ford, with a brilliant layered performance.  I saw every film and role nominated that year and I am forever bitter he lost out to Javier Bardem for, IMO, a one note performance in No Country for Old Men. YES I SAID IT and I feel better for it. The only other movie I loved as much as "Jesse James" was "There Will Be Blood".

But what a cast

Brad Pitt ( In a totally underrated performance)
Casey Affleck
Sam Sheppard
Garret Dillahunt
Mary Louise Parker ( totally underused but excellent anyway)
Jeremy Renner
Sam Rockwell ( I heart him)

Also, what an amazing year for film was 2007 ( just to name a few)
Assassination of Jesse James (should have been up for Best Picture too)
No Country for Old Men
There Will Be Blood
Juno
Atonement
Into the Wild

Couldn't get into There Will Be Blood, but the others ROCK! I particularly loved Juno, but No Country is one of my top five. Loved the book!

9 hours ago, Diane said:

That's my 2nd job, love the discount. I am finally off a day. It's been crazy worked 10 hours on thanksgiving, then between Friday and Saturday another 17. But I love it. My office job is boring, at Penneys I enjoy working with the teenagers and the public. You will have to post pictures of the ugly sweaters you get.

Oh I will! Thanks for the ideas though, and it's been so nice getting to know you Diane!

• Love 1
On 11/18/2016 at 8:40 PM, Mick Lady said:

On 11/17/2016 at 10:08 PM, 7kstar said:

For those that pray, I have a student that is having open heart surgery tomorrow and he has a 30% chance of surviving.  I have his brother also.  So your support and prayers would be greatly appreciated.

F

7kstar, I know it's early, but any news?

Great news, He was only given 30% of surviving and he pull through with flying colors.  He may even get to go home soon.  His brother was really happy.  They are talking about him maybe even getting to walk more and not have to use the oxygen except at night.  Of course, it is very much wait and see. but it sounds like it went better than they hoped for.  Thanks for all the prayers and positive vibes.  It was nice to get some good news. 

I got told I'm his favorite but of course it's not polite to have a favorite.  It's sort of funny the things he tells others, but it does make me smile.  Sometimes teaching is a positive experience.  Thanks again for all the support!  :)

• Love 5
20 hours ago, 7kstar said:

Great news, He was only given 30% of surviving and he pull through with flying colors.  He may even get to go home soon.  His brother was really happy.  They are talking about him maybe even getting to walk more and not have to use the oxygen except at night.  Of course, it is very much wait and see. but it sounds like it went better than they hoped for.  Thanks for all the prayers and positive vibes.  It was nice to get some good news. 

I got told I'm his favorite but of course it's not polite to have a favorite.  It's sort of funny the things he tells others, but it does make me smile.  Sometimes teaching is a positive experience.  Thanks again for all the support!  :)

Oh I am so happy! I know how dedicated you are to your students and how much you genuinely care for them. I'm not at all surprised you're his favorite. I'll say a prayer of thanks, and if you can, tell him there's a lady you know on the internet that's thrilled for him!

On a lighter note, been thinking about your play. Do you film them by any chance? I'd love a copy!

But again 7kstar, I'm so happy for you and your student!

• Love 2
On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 8:38 PM, AwesomO4000 said:

Awesom, I quoted so you'd catch this. Are you writing? I lost your bookmark, so could you let me know? Thanks!

• Love 1
On 11/29/2016 at 7:15 PM, Mick Lady said:

On a lighter note, been thinking about your play. Do you film them by any chance? I'd love a copy!

But again 7kstar, I'm so happy for you and your student!

I just got a new camera to try to film them but no idea yet how well it did.  Not sure if I can create a copy yet, so will see about it and let you know.

Another prayer request.  My dad's health has been an issue off and on since last Jan.  His latest blood test shows a score of 40 instead of 240 which is normal.  The good news his heart has improved from the heart attack last year, just not sure what all this means.  So if your willing please pray for better health and good news.  :)

• Love 3

You got it 7kstar! Mick and I will both pray, but I'll put Taarna on it too. Don't laugh, when I was diagnosed with cancer, she told me she had a direct line to "All the Puppies in Heaven", and she did! I'm not making light, there is no purer heart than the heart of a dog, they've been called "Soul Savers" Please keep us updated, I care so much about you guys! You were there for me, and I want to do the same for all of you.

Please tell your Dad I said "Hi!" and will be thinking of him.

Mick just asked me to give your Dad his best too.

• Love 2

Good NEWS!  The test came back normal today.  So they think it was an error on the handling of his blood to cause such a bad test results.  He is off the blood thinners and looking forward to getting his jaw fixed in January.  They wouldn't do anything until he was off the blood thinners.  His heart sounds good and strong.  So thanks for the support.  I'm glad it wasn't something bad.  It's time he got a break.  :)

• Love 6

Great news 7kstar! We'll say a prayer of thanks!

I haven't been around because I'm pissed as hell! ALL it has done for three days is SNOW!! I have tons of stuff to do, and I have spent half my time cleaning off my truck, (because the garage, of course is for the Harleys!) and I want it to stop! I'm looking out the window now, and I see...snow. I know, what do I expect in northern Idaho, but at least in NYC they plowed! I know, not really a big problem, especially when I read 7kstar's posts and other problems you all are going through, but it's so annoying!

• Love 1

I looked up Chad Stuart on Google today. He was half of Chad and Jeremy - that duo that did "A Summer Song" way back in 1964. They looked so young in the video. It's Chad's birthday. I wondered how old he is now, so I looked him up. I happened to look at the listing of his children. One of them was named James Patrick Stuart. I'm like, really? Is that the same guy? Sure enough. 

Edited by Commando Cody
  • Love 1

Okay, last bitch about snow, I promise!

I went to the food bank today. There was supposed to be ten of us, but only two showed up, because of the snow! So the three of us packed 417 boxes of food. I volunteered for three hours, but stayed six. I'm going back Sunday, but I hate the fact that many families in need won't be able to make it in. This work is very important to me, and I feel so badly for the families that are snowed in. I suggested we start a hotline for the stranded, so those of us with four wheel drive could deliver, but was told "We don't have the funding"

What's it going to be like with Trump? I am so angry!! Good God I'm crying....

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Mick Lady said:

What's it going to be like with Trump? I am so angry!! Good God I'm crying....

One man will not make everything fall, but one person focusing on the positive and getting another to join in can change the world.  The problem is people focusing on what's missing instead of what's possible.  The positive energy creates the change, not talking about how terrible something is.  So I ask you to focus on what you want to see in the world not what's wrong.  Then you will feel empowered and take what action you can.  If your excited you get another to join you and another.

Now I don't have snow where I live so that part I can't help but I know people don't like to come out when it's cold and rainy.  So look at what you gave, your time and love.  You came when other's felt they couldn't.  So be kind to your generous heart and know you made a difference.  It might not be as much as you hoped for, but nothing is built in one day.  We've never had a president that everyone loved...EVER.  So why will everything suddenly go bad?  Life is full of up's and downs.  The down times show us what is missing and how to appreciate the good times.  I'm not trying to preach or offend, but I know that if I focus on the negative, my depression becomes dangerous, so I try to focus on what I can do. 

What do I think the vote really said...That we're sick and tired of the same old same old -- don't work together.  The extremes are not good...so how can we find balance?  That's where I'm at...  If anything I said made you feel better keep it, if you hated it...let it go or ignore it.  ;)

• Love 4

7kstar, you never fail to make me feel better. Thank you for your wisdom, and I mean that!

I lived in NYC, so I have been reading about Trump for decades. He's a monster! I voted for Taarna, our Orange Lab. She ran on the "Couch Nap" platform. She's demonstrating now in fact!

I wanted to add, I'm not one of the nuts that think the world is ending with this election, I just get so frustrated sometimes!

But this is the Impala! Let's talk about how cute Dean is!

catrox in 3, 2,1...

Edited by Mick Lady
Saw a pic of Jenson shirtless!
  • Love 1

Checking in...it stopped snowing, finally! Now it's twenty below, with wind chill factored in, and the roads are solid ice! As a result, Brenda and Don cancelled the "Ugly Sweater" party, too dangerous to drive. But I'll take a picture of our sweaters and post it.

Anyone else experiencing this mess?

• Love 2

Oh yes. Currently -6 ("real feel" -17). At yesterday's Bears-Packers game the temp was about 5 I think, but it didn't break the record low for a Bears-Packer game. We had our snow Fri. to Sat. night but only about 6" here, much more on the other side of Lake Michigan.

• Love 1

We got lucky, just side swiped us in Tulsa.  Very cold Saturday low of 3 with a dusting of snow and some freezing drizzle. Yesterday sunny but high of 16 or so.  Today up above freezing.  Everyone take care out there and stay warm.

Edited by Diane
  • Love 2

We had about 2 inches of snow and a 70-degree temp drop between Friday and Saturday (from +60 in the day to -10 at night).  We were back into the 20s/30s by Sunday, and it should be warming more (till the next front comes through.)  Psychotic Colorado weather.

• Love 1

Climate change.  

Seriously, most of us on this board are old enough to realize this JUST ISN'T RIGHT.  *sigh*

Sorry, went political for a moment.  The weather freaks me out sometimes.

• Love 6
29 minutes ago, SueB said:

Climate change.  

Seriously, most of us on this board are old enough to realize this JUST ISN'T RIGHT.  *sigh*

Sorry, went political for a moment.  The weather freaks me out sometimes.

I agree!

This morning we had "Ice Fog", now everything is covered with a coat of ice! The trees look nice though, our Weeping Birch is stunning! Just hope we don't lose power...

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Growing up in Colorado back in the day, the joke was always 'Don't like the weather? Wait 15 minutes'.

From Will Rogers "If you don’t like the weather in Oklahoma, wait a minute and it’ll change." LOL and so true.

• Love 1
Just now, catrox14 said:

Just to be clear, my comment about Colorado weather is in no way me saying there is no such thing as climate change. There is.

I didn't take your comment that way. Hope you didn't think that I did.

• Love 1