Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Impala

• Start Topic

49 minutes ago, Mick Lady said:

Hey guys! I have a request. Mods asked us to help with Twitter involved bugs (pinned on top of page), I use IE, and it's driving me nuts! It keeps me from replying on some threads, and I hate that! Thanks all!!!

I'm not sure how attached you are to IE, but you could switch browsers to avoid the bug until the fix is in? Both Chrome and Firefox are free and fairly easy to install. I just mention it because even if people stop embedding the tweets now, it won't stop the problem from happening on pages with embedded tweets already on them. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Mick Lady said:

7kstar, I know it's early, but any news?

Sorry I got the wrong date it's Monday.  We have an assistant nurse who said it was today and the head nurse said it was Monday.  We are off for a week, so I most likely won't know until the 28th unless someone contacts me.  So still sending prayers and positive energy for the entire family. 

I'm looking forward to some time off to recharge my batteries.  :)  Today I got a thank you note from a student and he told me I reminded him of Snoopy.  They had to pick a character from peanuts.  It was a nice surprise.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, DittyDotDot said:

I'm not sure how attached you are to IE, but you could switch browsers to avoid the bug until the fix is in? Both Chrome and Firefox are free and fairly easy to install. I just mention it because even if people stop embedding the tweets now, it won't stop the problem from happening on pages with embedded tweets already on them. 

I'm going to do Firefox Dot! It's just Mick hates change and I'll have to ease him into it. But lots of people have told us to use it, so I'm going to bite the bullet. Wish me luck!

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, 7kstar said:

Sorry I got the wrong date it's Monday.  We have an assistant nurse who said it was today and the head nurse said it was Monday.  We are off for a week, so I most likely won't know until the 28th unless someone contacts me.  So still sending prayers and positive energy for the entire family. 

I'm looking forward to some time off to recharge my batteries.  :)  Today I got a thank you note from a student and he told me I reminded him of Snoopy.  They had to pick a character from peanuts.  It was a nice surprise.

Ah that's so sweet! I loved getting updates with my old students! Snoopy? How incredibly sweet! And you know it came from the heart.

Take some time for yourself, you deserve it! Post an update when you can, but just know both Mick and I have been praying for him, and you!

Ah, you don't fight the Red Baron from your dog house, do you?

Edited by Mick Lady
14 minutes ago, Mick Lady said:

I'm going to do Firefox Dot! It's just Mick hates change and I'll have to ease him into it. But lots of people have told us to use it, so I'm going to bite the bullet. Wish me luck!

Heh, I understand. I haven't used IE for a while now, but, if memory serves, it's not that different from Firefox. And, you can ease Mick into it by reminding him you won't have to deal with that annoying bug if you do switch. Plus, it doesn't have to be permanent. Once the bug is fixed, you can always switch back. In fact, I used to use all three browsers--they all had bugs here and there--just depended on what I was doing at the time.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Mick Lady said:

Hey guys! I have a request. Mods asked us to help with Twitter involved bugs (pinned on top of page), I use IE, and it's driving me nuts! It keeps me from replying on some threads, and I hate that! Thanks all!!!

I use Firefox.  I like it way more than IE.  It's pretty easy to figure out.  I stopped using IE a long time ago and haven't had as many viruses since I switched.

Edited by 7kstar
  • Love 2

I'm not a computer genius.  I use Chrome.  It was easy to install and I've never had any trouble with it in about 7 years.  (I also set the Google search page as my home page so I can start off running.  Everything important is bookmarked.)  

• Love 2

Hey Mick Lady, I'm not computer savvy, and I find that Firefox is the best browser and has the ability to block ads which I use on this site.  Also, so glad to see you posting regularly again! :)

Edited by FlickChick
  • Love 2

Firefox is pretty easy to use.  Not a computer wizard either.  But remember google is your friend.  If you have problems google it.  Youtube can also help.  :)

Glad to see your feeling better.

• Love 1

I'm not a computer genius. I like Pale Moon because it doesn't use as much RAM as Firefox, but unfortunately right now it's not playing nice with Twitter videos so I've been using Firefox more. I never liked the look and feel of Chrome.

• Love 1

I also use Firefox. It's the browser that work wants us to use. I also use an add on called Super Start with it which I love (It's my home page and it shows up whenever I open a new tab). It's like bookmarking a site but with little thumbnail pictures of the sites, and since I use so many sites in my work, it's great to be able to just point and click rather than have to open up the bookmark thing every time and look for the bookmark.

I only use ie when I want to play the free MSN games - I like the word and puzzle games - because Firefox doesn't work with those.

I don't use Chrome, so can't say anything about that one.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

I also use Firefox. It's the browser that work wants us to use. I also use an add on called Super Start with it which I love (It's my home page and it shows up whenever I open a new tab). It's like bookmarking a site but with little thumbnail pictures of the sites, and since I use so many sites in my work, it's great to be able to just point and click rather than have to open up the bookmark thing every time and look for the bookmark.

I only use ie when I want to play the free MSN games - I like the word and puzzle games - because Firefox doesn't work with those.

I don't use Chrome, so can't say anything about that one.

Okay Awesom, I'll PM you in the morning and ask your help, because I know you'll have the patience to help me through it!

But honestly Awesom, you and Omegamom have been so good to me, and I haven't been appreciative enough. Thank you, I wish there was something more I could say, something that really shows you two how much you have meant to me. So, just thanks....

• Love 1

Mick Lady, I'm not the most tech savvy - I'm actually generally "technologically impaired," but I'll do what I can. And maybe others here might also have advice.

One piece of advice I can give - and I don't know if specifically Firefox has it or not (it was installed on my computer by our work IT people - be aware of the "pre-checked boxes." Those are the ones that say that you agree that the site people can send information to your e-mail. I always uncheck those boxes ahead of time, because that is easier than trying to find out how to ungive that consent later.

And though no thanks are needed, you are very welcome, Mick Lady.

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • Love 1

Thanks everyone! I have to put it off until Monday, Mick's following his Fantasy Football team and doesn't want to freak-out today! But he said "If your friends on PTV says go for it, do it!" He adores you all!

I'll  check in here, and let you know how it goes. I have a super fast internet connection so it shouldn't take to long.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Mick Lady, I'm not the most tech savvy - I'm actually generally "technologically impaired," but I'll do what I can. And maybe others here might also have advice.

One piece of advice I can give - and I don't know if specifically Firefox has it or not (it was installed on my computer by our work IT people - be aware of the "pre-checked boxes." Those are the ones that say that you agree that the site people can send information to your e-mail. I always uncheck those boxes ahead of time, because that is easier than trying to find out how to ungive that consent later.

And though no thanks are needed, you are very welcome, Mick Lady.

No Awesom, you and Omegamom (and everyone here to be honest) really pulled me through this cancer bullshit. You've been two of best friends I have ever met on line, right up there with Brenda, my BFF. Don't ever underestimate what you did for me, I won't let you, and will never, ever forget it! My fondest wish is that someday we will all be able to meet up for real. I want to give you all the biggest hug!

• Love 2

Cheers, @Demented Daisy

Holidays really get me down. I am having a glass of wine and doing nothing tonight. Hate this time of year.

But uhhhhhhh. Happy Thanksgiving, though! ;)

Anyway, I heard Piano Man in the car last night and I thought for the first time that it actually seemed very Thanksgiving-y. Well, for people whose home away from home really is their home, anyway! So, here's my sincere Happy Thanksgiving to everybody from/in the US:

• Love 4

My friend had surgery and is not up for visitors. So I bought a rotisserie chicken, some mashed potatoes, gravy, and stuffing mix. I'm gonna have Thanksgiving dinner at home. I am okay with it because I spent Monday with my nephew, his wife and their children at the zoo and in Old Town. I haven't seen them since my mom's funeral over a year ago. I was so happy to see them. The kids and I had a lot of fun. I'm thankful for their visit :). 

I hope you all do something that makes you happy and brings you peace. Whatever that thing is!

I am so thankful for you fine folks because truly these past 2 or 3 years have sucked out loud. I found so much solace and support here and I thank you all!

• Love 5
On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 8:43 AM, Diane said:

@Mick Lady how did it go? Where you able to get it downloaded and setup?

Sorry Diane, I should have replied sooner, but between Physical Therapists, and Nurses, this place is crazy! But yes, I got it done, but to be honest, it was because Mick's PT helped! Thank you so much for checking in, you're so sweet!

catrox, I hope the new year treats you better, you deserve a break, that's for sure.

I'm never surprised when Demented does something crazy, I wonder why?

Rue, I just "rediscovered" Billy Joel, thanks for the good wishes, back at ya!

Mick and I did something crazy ourselves tonight, (channeling Demented?) Remember when you where a kid, and you would trace your hand and make a turkey? Well, we did that tonight! I had a box of Crayola's (doesn't everyone?) and we went to town. It was so much fun! They're hanging on the wall, and we've been laughing like kids!

• Love 4

Happy Thanksgiving. Just got home from helping get our Penneys ready for gray Thursday as we are calling it. Hope tomorrow is a safe one and that you are able to enjoy in your own way. You all really are the best, I enjoy the friendships.  

• Love 4

Happy Thanksgiving and for those that don't celebrate thanksgiving may you find something positive to show up this day.  Trying to focus on a grateful heart and look for the positive.  I've certainly had my share of focusing on the negative in past years, so I grateful for the friendships I've made on this board.  May you find at least 5 positive things for this special day.  :)  #2 is good food, wine.  #3.  Celebrating with friends.  got two more to go!

Gonna spend a quiet thanksgiving with a friend.  Then planning to write before I go to bed.  So enjoy the food, the company and those that have crazy family find something to laugh about throughout the gathering.

May no one feel alone today and I hope you find something fun to do.  :)

• Love 3

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! One very special thing I'm very thankful for is all the great friends I've found here, so I agree with Diane and 7kstar. I hope Omegamom checks in, along with the rest of the gang!

Hey 7kstar, what play are you doing this year?

Edited by Mick Lady
I'm buzzed, okay?
  • Love 1
54 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

You know what's really sad? I have NO pie at all. I had to settle for pumpkin bread. The market was out when I went yesterday.

Dean?!  Is that you?  It's a conspiracy. 

Ill have to admit, Sweet Potato casserole would have beaten stuffing but about 5 years ago, I came to accept that I was the ONLY person eating the casserole beyond a few polite bites.  Which meant the prep time was all aimed at giving me (and me alone) a boatload of calories. So... I let them go.  

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Mick Lady said:

Hey 7kstar, what play are you doing this year?

Because of all the crazy stuff several of my students are dealing with only a comedy will do.  So the play is Shakespeare Unbound. 

Aliesha, a disgruntled student, is trying to carry a huge book of Shakespeare's plays, but it's too heavy for her. So she tears out some pages and throws them in a trash can. The characters on those pages materialize, crawl out of the trash can, and raise havoc on the campus. It's funny for the audience but frightening for Aliesha.

We did You Can't Take it with You for the first show.

Order of the best stuff...

1. Pumpkin Pie

2. Pineapple scallop dressing, it is a family recipe (secret not allowed to share) looks like stuffing but is sweet

3.  Wine

4. Turkey

5. Potatoes, would have preferred sweet potatoes but I wasn't the cook and well needing to cut back on sugar so I decided it was fine to have mash instead.   lol

6. fruit salad

The veggies well I like them but they will never be the ones I'm craving for.  :)

1-3 could be a three way tie?  My favorite pie varies but pumpkin was it when I was little, next is pecan or apple...

• Love 1
7 hours ago, catrox14 said:

You know what's really sad? I have NO pie at all. I had to settle for pumpkin bread. The market was out when I went yesterday.

I'm sorry, I feel so very sad for you right now. As my grandfather used to say, "Pie is the thing for me!" ;)

Aww, I got all nostalgic just then. 

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, 7kstar said:

Because of all the crazy stuff several of my students are dealing with only a comedy will do.  So the play is Shakespeare Unbound. 

Aliesha, a disgruntled student, is trying to carry a huge book of Shakespeare's plays, but it's too heavy for her. So she tears out some pages and throws them in a trash can. The characters on those pages materialize, crawl out of the trash can, and raise havoc on the campus. It's funny for the audience but frightening for Aliesha.

Oh my God 7kstar, that sounds like a blast! I'd love to see it!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, SueB said:

Dean?!  Is that you?  It's a conspiracy. 

Ill have to admit, Sweet Potato casserole would have beaten stuffing but about 5 years ago, I came to accept that I was the ONLY person eating the casserole beyond a few polite bites.  Which meant the prep time was all aimed at giving me (and me alone) a boatload of calories. So... I let them go.  

But sweet potatoes are healthy! They're good for you! ;)

My priorities for Thanksgiving are generally:

1. Sweet potatoes/yams

2. Booze

I'd add mac & cheese to the list, but only if it's Velveeta & shells, not that nasty homemade oven-baked stuff with the crispy breadcrumb topping. And only if I can put some ketchup and hot sauce on mine. ;)

• Love 2