Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Impala

• Start Topic

Sad to hear about William Christopher but he had a life doing what he loved.  Not everyone can say that.

So on a happier note.   Happy New Year!  I finally saw the new Star Wars film, it was an enjoyable adventure to forget about any worries.  Started writing on some very old stories, not supernatural and hoping it will get me on track for the new year.

I'm looking at traveling to New York in the spring, around March.  Suggestions on what I must see?  First time to go.  How cold is it in March?  Our idea of cold is a few weeks out of the year sometimes or two months max if it is a bad winter.  This week has been like 32 to 52( o F) then a few days later 60 to 75( o F).   All Fahrenheit in case you can't tell that's all I know.  :)

• Love 1
8 hours ago, rue721 said:

Well, I broke up with my boyfriend last night.

Partied too hard to forget about it, and now have the worst hangover of my life.

It's awful! I had no idea that hangovers could even be this bad!

Ah rue! That sucks! I wish I could give you a great big hug! I'm not going to tell you you'll find someone else, I hate people like that!

But I will say, now's the time to indulge yourself. Do what you want, eat when and what you want, and binge watch your favorite show. Stay in your jammies and spoil yourself for a few days. You deserve it.

Oh, and post here, where we love and care about you!

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, 7kstar said:

Sad to hear about William Christopher but he had a life doing what he loved.  Not everyone can say that.

So on a happier note.   Happy New Year!  I finally saw the new Star Wars film, it was an enjoyable adventure to forget about any worries.  Started writing on some very old stories, not supernatural and hoping it will get me on track for the new year.

I'm looking at traveling to New York in the spring, around March.  Suggestions on what I must see?  First time to go.  How cold is it in March?  Our idea of cold is a few weeks out of the year sometimes or two months max if it is a bad winter.  This week has been like 32 to 52( o F) then a few days later 60 to 75( o F).   All Fahrenheit in case you can't tell that's all I know.  :)

Long time NYCer here! Retired to Idaho.

7kstar, hit the Strand Bookstore. You will love it!

http://www.strandbooks.com/

Edited by Mick Lady
can't spell, everyone knows that!
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, 7kstar said:

I'm looking at traveling to New York in the spring, around March.  Suggestions on what I must see?  First time to go.  How cold is it in March? 

I'm a 3rd-generation NYer, but I've been in Colorado for almost 30 years, so I'm not sure what's changed.  Don't feel bad about going to "typical" tourist spots--most are popular because they're actually worth seeing.  

23 minutes ago, Mick Lady said:

7kstar, hit the Strand Bookstore. You will love it!

I second the Strand Bookstore.  I used to live a few blocks from there and spent most of my spare time (and all my spare money) there.  

What you see depends on how much time you have, what the weather is doing, and what you're interested in.  I remember February is usually consistently cold, but March can be anywhere from 30-90 degrees.   There are plenty of things to do whatever the weather, so don't worry.  

The last time I visited, I played tourist myself, and actually took one of the tour boats around Manhattan.  It was wonderful for orienting yourself and getting an overview of the city that you just don't get from land.    

I lived and worked downtown, so most of my favorite places (besides all the museums throughout the city) are south of 14th Street. and you can just wander around and see everything.  My favorites (from the south end and heading northish):  Battery Park, with Castle Clinton and the ferries to Staten Island, Ellis Island, and the Statue of Liberty; the old Customs House at Bowling Green (I think it's now Museum of the American Indian);  Fraunces Tavern and the Wall Street area; South Street Seaport; City Hall area (including Trinity Church and the Woolworth Building);  and then continue through Chinatown, Little Italy, Soho and Greenwich Village/Washington Square Park.   In bad weather:  your choice of museums.  I'm sure others will be giving you their favorite spots--there are many, and lot of little hidden treasures you just happen across on side streets and around corners if you keep your eyes open.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, midge said:

Happy new year everyone!  I don't  contribute too many posts to this forum but know that I read all of yours!  Thanks for giving me good stuff to read this past year!

Welcome, midge.

I hope you and everyone else here are having as good a day as you can.

Sorry to hear about your breakup, @rue721. If you need a road trip, you know you can always stop by and visit me again.

And by the way everyone - Happy New Year!

• Love 2
10 hours ago, rue721 said:

Partied too hard to forget about it, and now have the worst hangover of my life.

Damn.  Well, I hope you recover soon.  Sending you internet hugs.  

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I'm sorry to hear about your breakup, @rue721. That sucks.  I hope you find peace of mind and a good hangover cure! 

I hope 2017 is better than 2016 and that you allhave  only good things in the future! 

Happy New Year!

catrox, where the hell have you been??!! People here worry about you ya know. Check in okay? How's the arm?

12 hours ago, rue721 said:

Hope the hangover gets better and consider yourself hugged.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Mick Lady said:

Happy New year everyone!

7kstar, if you have the time, hit Katz's Deli, you won't regret it!!

http://www.katzsdelicatessen.com/

Oh, and to sound like a native:  Houston Street is pronounced "HOUSE-ton", not like the city.  (It's named after a relative of Peter Stuyvesant, not Sam Houston).

ETA: OK, according to Wikipedia, William Houston wasn't a relative of Stuyvesant, but a delegate to the Continental Congress.  Anyway, it wasn't Sam Houston.  (I could swear I was told he was related to Stuyvesant...but maybe it was just because I lived next to Stuyvesant Park.)   But the pronunciation is as above.  That's how NYers can always spot tourists!

Edited by ahrtee
Fact-checking. Once a librarian....
  • Love 2
53 minutes ago, Mick Lady said:

catrox, where the hell have you been??!! People here worry about you ya know. Check in okay? How's the arm?

Hey, sorry!!! It's harder for me to type these days with my broken wing. It's better. Only hurts a lot if I sneeze or make a sudden movement. 

I did manage to crack an egg with my left hand with no shell fragments.  And I got the cork out of the champagne bottle. So I'm sitting here with a glass of champagne and some chocolate! 

• Love 3

Thanks for the well-wishes. I really appreciate that :)

It's for the best, but I'm feeling pretty lonely, insecure, and sad, of course. Fingers crossed that when a window closes, a door really does (eventually) open!

@7kstar, my NYC recommendations are that you check out the wholesale costume jewelry shops in the garment district, see the Tenement Museum, and get around by subway (it's great for people-watching)! And see a show, of course, but I don't have to tell you that. If you're looking for places to eat, my favorite is this steakhouse called Peter Luger in Brooklyn. It's kind of expensive and they only take cash (or at least they did when I was there last, which was a long time ago now) -- but it's entirely worth it!

Edited by rue721
feeeeelings
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, catrox14 said:

Hey, sorry!!! It's harder for me to type these days with my broken wing. It's better. Only hurts a lot if I sneeze or make a sudden movement. 

I did manage to crack an egg with my left hand with no shell fragments.  And I got the cork out of the champagne bottle. So I'm sitting here with a glass of champagne and some chocolate! 

Awww! catrox, I'm so sorry! I just look for your posts, for me, you are Supernatural!

I can't break an egg with two hands without getting shells in the eggs!

• Love 1

Happy New Year to everyone! Of course I'm late to the party.  We had our late Christmas celebration yesterday since I've had a horrendous cold since Thanksgiving.  Really enjoyed visiting with the family, playing games, and having a good meal and a lot of laughs. Let's hope this year is better than the last. Welcome 2017!

• Love 3
5 hours ago, FlickChick said:

Happy New Year to everyone! Of course I'm late to the party.  We had our late Christmas celebration yesterday since I've had a horrendous cold since Thanksgiving.  Really enjoyed visiting with the family, playing games, and having a good meal and a lot of laughs. Let's hope this year is better than the last. Welcome 2017!

Ah, FlickChick! You're so lucky! Mick and I retired to Idaho, but my family is all on the east coast. One thing I miss is our twice a month family game nights. My baby brother has more games than Toys R Us (Or as we call it, We Be Toys) We had so much fun! I envy you!

Happy New Year to you and your marvelous family!

• Love 1
21 hours ago, FlickChick said:

Queen Elizabeth II, is that you? Just kidding.  Glad you are better.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SueB said:

Doing well.  The "Post" is out and I'm slooooooowly accepting that I have to start working again post Christmas.  

It is? Can I read  it, or is it too personal? I understand if it is, but I love the way you write!

Again, is Omegamom MIA? I miss her, but maybe I'm not reading enough on other threads.

Now I know how you all felt when I disappeared when I had cancer. Now I truly appreciate the way you guys felt. I'll never do that again, I swear! This is such a loving group, and I'll NEVER take you all for granted. Sounds sappy, but you all mean so much to me!

Edited by Mick Lady
  • Love 1

So, now I have an eye infection in my left eye and cant use my right arm so I cant drive myself to my optemetrist but they gave me some self care advice so I hope it resolves itself sooner rather than later.

All I can do is laugh at this point.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, catrox14 said:

So, now I have an eye infection in my left eye and cant use my right arm so I cant drive myself to my optemetrist but they gave me some self care advice so I hope it resolves itself sooner rather than later.

All I can do is laugh at this point.

Ah Jesus cartrox, can't you catch a break?! I wish I lived near, I come over and get drunk as hell with you, after taking you to the doctor of course!

Don't you have anyone that can take you to the doctor? I know, it sucks, doctors keep the same hours as most working people, but FUCK!

I'll laugh with you, but I'm worried too. Take care of yourself please, and screw it, get plastered!

You better have a kick-ass 2017!

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Mick Lady said:

It is? Can I read  it, or is it too personal? I understand if it is, but I love the way you write!

Again, is Omegamom MIA? I miss her, but maybe I'm not reading enough on other threads.

Now I know how you all felt when I disappeared when I had cancer. Now I truly appreciate the way you guys felt. I'll never do that again, I swear! This is such a loving group, and I'll NEVER take you all for granted. Sounds sappy, but you all mean so much to me!

Sent you a "picture" of it via a message.  Can't send you the real McCoy because some family members wouldn't want their info shared.

• Love 1

Hell catrox, I'd just share it right back at you and the rest of this community! The question is, do only good, kind people like Supernatural, or does liking Supernatural make you good and kind?

Glad to see you back, how's the arm and eye healing up?

• Love 2

Oh, that is sad, @Commando Cody. I loved that show and his character's relationship with Jordan (Jill Hennessy's character) on it. One of my favorites was the scene where Jordan asked Garret if he was going to keep her on a leash and he said "nah, you'd just chew through it." Bwah! So true, she totally would've.

I thought of him myself tonight, because I was watching Jill Hennessy in tonight's episode of The Blacklist.

And he was only 61. Not looking to be better than last year so far for celebrity losses. : (

Edited to add: While reading your above link, there was a link to another sad death. Larry Drake, who played my favorite character on L.A. Law, Benny. Link. And Rickey Smith from the first season of American Idol was killed by a drunk driver (who of course survived and was fine - drunk drivers suck!)

Wow this year is really not starting out well for celebrity losses.

Edited by AwesomO4000

Okay, some of you may see me "liking" a post you made several years ago. Here's the deal, it's snowing here, AGAIN! I'm talking a foot on the ground, and I can't see out the window because the snow is coming down so hard, NO SHIT! Mick is in his recliner, watching "Justified" and Taarna refuses to get off the couch! So, I'm reading about past seasons, especially what's being run on TNT in the morning. Being retired rocks!

But anyway, I'm surfing away on Supernatural, and loving some of your insights! Thanks guys!! I'm actually having a blast!

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Mick Lady said:

Okay, some of you may see me "liking" a post you made several years ago. Here's the deal, it's snowing here, AGAIN! I'm talking a foot on the ground, and I can't see out the window because the snow is coming down so hard, NO SHIT! Mick is in his recliner, watching "Justified" and Taarna refuses to get off the couch! So, I'm reading about past seasons, especially what's being run on TNT in the morning. Being retired rocks!

But anyway, I'm surfing away on Supernatural, and loving some of your insights! Thanks guys!! I'm actually having a blast!

I'm kinda jealous of you right now. It's been so unusually warm here the last week-ish...it's just not acceptable winter weather if you ask me. I recommend you go outside, build a snowman, make a few snow angels and maybe a snow cave too! Supernatural isn't a bad way to pass the time either. ;)

• Love 3

Ah Dot, believe it or not, when this started, we did have fun! We (all three of us) made snow angels, (Mick said of his, "Look, that Cas!) but Taarna's snow puppy angel was the best! We even had a snowball fight!

But now Dot, it's turned into, "Oh HELL! It's snowing again!" The five foot wall the plows leave at the end of our driveway don't help...

But we do have a nice fireplace, which makes our home feel so cozy, and we are enjoying just hanging out together. Cooking elaborate dinners have become our new thing, and I love that! 

Diane, 72? Really? I don't know what to say. I love the seasons changing, but I'm beginning to rethink winter!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mick Lady said:

But now Dot, it's turned into, "Oh HELL! It's snowing again!" The five foot wall the plows leave at the end of our driveway don't help...

But we do have a nice fireplace, which makes our home feel so cozy, and we are enjoying just hanging out together. Cooking elaborate dinners have become our new thing, and I love that! 

I don't know what this says about my brain--probably nothing good--but I suddenly remembered this book while reading this post. In fact, I think I may have read it when I was living in Idaho...either that or when I moved from Idaho to Montana. It was a lot of years ago and it's hard to keep this stuff straight anymore.

Anyway, it's a very quick--and silly--read, you might like it considering your current circumstances--basically things could be worse! ;)

https://www.amazon.com/Monkey-Mountain-Madness-Living-West/dp/0893011924

• Love 1

Let's see 45 in the morning and 85 in the afternoon.  It's our winter.  Snow what's that?

Feeling a bit bum.  Had a great performance with the kids, just a few of them.  But then one kid decided to grab a kid's jacket and choke him.  Now I'm writing them up and feeling like the worst teacher ever.  Why because I started the teasing of "Traitor" when the kid said not taking Theatre next year, I'm joining band and choir.  Well she'll be out for sure.  Not sure what will happen but it feels like here it goes again.  Lately every time I get a new principal something happens that makes them decide I suck as a teacher.  I'm hoping I'm wrong but I've got the feeling of doom.  Is Dean and I related????

• Love 1
1 hour ago, 7kstar said:

Let's see 45 in the morning and 85 in the afternoon.  It's our winter.  Snow what's that?

Feeling a bit bum.  Had a great performance with the kids, just a few of them.  But then one kid decided to grab a kid's jacket and choke him.  Now I'm writing them up and feeling like the worst teacher ever.  Why because I started the teasing of "Traitor" when the kid said not taking Theatre next year, I'm joining band and choir.  Well she'll be out for sure.  Not sure what will happen but it feels like here it goes again.  Lately every time I get a new principal something happens that makes them decide I suck as a teacher.  I'm hoping I'm wrong but I've got the feeling of doom.  Is Dean and I related????

Aw, 7kstar! You are far too hard on yourself, which just shows what a wonderful teacher you are! Don't give up, I'm sure there are many of your students that will think back on you as their favorite. Your posts show how much you care, and trust me, many of them will remember that!

Dean and you related? How? Care too much? Take on too much responsibility for things you can't possibly control? Feel too deeply? Too hard on yourself?

Well, okay, you got me. Channel your inner Dean!

• Love 2

Guys, I have a question, and you're free to laugh at me!

I have never been on Twitter, but decided to check it out to see what the Orange One is up to. Will I see more content if I join, or can I see everything without signing up? And how the hell does that place work? Does everything expand when you click it? How do you keep these conversations straight? Any tips for using it?

Thanks guys, when you finish laughing, I'd appreciate some help!

4 minutes ago, Mick Lady said:

I have never been on Twitter, but decided to check it out to see what the Orange One is up to. Will I see more content if I join, or can I see everything without signing up? And how the hell does that place work? Does everything expand when you click it? How do you keep these conversations straight? Any tips for using it?

I am by no means and expert, but yes I think you see more if you join.  I don't follow a whole lot of people, just ones I am really interested in seeing what they have to say. (57 people right now) I follow @SueB so I am sure she knows a lot more about it than me and will probably be more helpful than I am.  No laughing from me, I am newer at it too.

• Love 1

I'm on Twitter. You can join and go private and no one can see your Tweets unless you approve them to follow you. They can't retweet your tweets either. You can still see all tweets and retweets from anyone you follow and whomever is tweeting using a hashtag (#) unless they are private. If you have a public profile anyone can see your tweets and anyone can retweet you.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Mick Lady said:

Twitter Tips:

- Follow people who make you happy, not depressed.
- Personally, for news, I follow AP and Reuters as they are usually "just the facts" (oy, that word should MEAN something)
- Don't click on the individual tweet unless you want to read all the responses to that tweet.  Generally I just read the tweet.  If I like it, I hit the "heart".  If I just want to retweet, I hit that button.  If I want to comment, I hit the retweet button that allows you to "quote" the tweet.  Play around, you'll see.
- DM are direct messages.  It's only between you and people you follow who also follow you.

SPN Specific:
- @jarpad, @jensenackles are "musts" for the Supernatural crowd.  If you click on Jared (@jarpad) you'll find most of the other actors and cast member in his "following" profile. @superwiki is also a "must" IMO.
- Don't try to keep up.  You'll never see everyone's posts.  If you want to see what someone is up to, just click on the last post you have from them and you can see their timeline.  The timeline JUMPS while you are away.
- #Supernatural on Thursday nights (from 6pm to  ~3am Eastern time counts for ratings, covering all timezones).  Only two hastags per tweet or they don't count.  For example: Ron Howard just tweeted:

curious..those who feel #CNN or #NYTimes is largely #fakenews, what %? only politics & hard news? How about sports? btw Is #Fox ever fake?

That's okay for a regular tweet on something topical.  But he used 3 hastags.  That means that the last one (and possibly NONE of them) would count towards trending or Neilsen twitter ratings.

Finally, I'm @SnazzyO if you want to see who I'm following or want to follow.  I'm Supernatural heavy but sometimes get riled up about current events.  I don't "wank" (talk about fandom) on Twitter. I sometimes do on Tumblr (rarely) but no one reads it, it's just me venting. 

• Love 2