Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Impala

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, SueB said:

Best as we can tell, they were a mix of English, Irish & French and came up via New Orleans -- but we have no documents or proof.  

I can give suggestions on how to research them!  (Once a librarian, always a librarian...)  

(oops, change of subject that I missed...yeah, football doesn't factor into my worldview...though I did get to see the overtime.  Kind of exciting when you don't really care which team wins. )

Edited by ahrtee
change of subject
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, ahrtee said:

...though I did get to see the overtime.  Kind of exciting when you don't really care which team wins. )

Heh... yes. That way I can see that it would be exciting. Here's why it was depressing...

Pretty much the team that lost - the Falcons - was the team that almost everyone had counted out and had only been to the Superbowl one other time before in their 50 year history. Some of the team was younger guys who'd fought hard to get to the Superbowl. It started out very well. The Falcons were ahead by like 25 points until sometime near the end of the third quarter... and  managed to somehow fall apart - along with some bad luck -  and lose to the team that's won a bunch of times recently. This was the winning quarterback's 5th Superbowl win (which is something no other quarterback has ever done). Even though I grew up near Boston, even I wanted the Falcons to finally win one. I knew as soon as the Patriots won the overtime coin toss that the Falcons were doomed. I left the room at that point. It was the largest come from behind win in Superbowl history - meaning the biggest choke ever for the poor Falcons. So status quo - the expected team won.

The annoying thing was this was the second awful football loss for this state this past season. Earlier this season our Georgia Bulldogs finally had a chance to beat the mighty Tennessee - who everyone thought would win. The Bulldogs fought all game in front of a record home crowd and finally pulled ahead, getting the go ahead touchdown with only 11 seconds left on the clock. You're supposed to win the game when that happens. Through an unlucky series of events, Tennessee ended up in a position to throw a Hail Mary pass with no time left on the clock... and win the game. I'd never heard a crowd go from elated to devastated in such a short period of time.

Between those two things, it wasn't easy being a football fan in Georgia this past season.

I can't imagine how badly true Falcon fans are taking this. I feel so badly for them. There's going to be a bunch of depressed people at work tomorrow.

Thankfully - and weirdly - my team is the Broncos... even though I've never lived anywhere near Denver. And since they won the Superbowl last year - and twice with my favorite quarterback John Elway - I'll be okay for a while. Damn Falcons made me believe for a while though.

Sometimes it's tough to be a football fan.

2 hours ago, Diane said:

@AwesomO4000 hope you are alright.  Wonderful stories from everyone else. Thank you for sharing.

So sorry Diane, I didn't mean to concern you. I figured since it was the Superbowl (with Lady Gaga halftime!) and all that it was kind of a given. I forget sometimes that many people don't watch football.

And I agree about all of the interesting family stories... I would share, but many of the family history stories I know are either fairly boring, bordering on depressing, or both.

Edited to add: Ooh, just saw something to potentially cheer you up, @catrox14 - it cheered me up a little, anyway: I just saw the commercial for Bates Motel. It's coming back in early February. If I remember correctly, you watch and enjoy that as well.

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • Love 1

Hi guys! 

My name is Tye and I'm a twenty five year old long term fan of supernatural. I love seasons 1-5 and have mixed feelings towards the seasons after that. I have recently returned to fandom after dropping the show from seasons 9-11 due to some issues I had back then. 

In in terms of the show itself I am a team free will fan. I used to ship Destiel, but these days I'm more neutral when it comes to ships. 

I suck at introductions so that's all I have to say. Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

• Love 3

@SueB my family is from Arkansas, too, so we're probably distantly related.  ;-)  My father's family is mostly from the northeast (Jackson county) and my mother's is mostly from the northwest (Searcy county).

Interesting family story?  My distant cousin (Great-grandmother's nephew) is Jimmy Dean, the sausage guy.

• Love 2

Hey everybody, I am going to be in Richardson, TX for a few days around Presidents' Day. It's for a business trip, so I've got to squeeze any tourist/fun stuff in there around work. But any recommendations for what to do or what to see?!

Anybody know the area? I've driven through TX but have only stopped there for a meal or two. I don't know Dallas at all.

Lived in Dallas for almost 20 years, but it's changed quite a bit since I left.  You could always hunt down Jensen's high school.  ;-)  I kid, I kid.

The most popular tourist attraction will probably always be the Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza.  Second would be Southfork Ranch.  It's northeast of Richardson, about 20 minutes.  

I can't really give you recommendations for night time activities because I don't know how the areas have changed.  We used to hang out in Deep Ellum and Greenville Avenue, but I can't guarantee they're as safe as they were in the mid-late 90's.  

The Dallas World Aquarium is fun, as is the Dallas Museum of Art.  They're in the same general area as the Sixth Floor Museum.  From Richardson, get on the 75/Central Expressway heading south and you'll see the signs.  

Sorry I couldn't be more help.  :-)

• Love 1

@AwesomO4000  My teams lost in the playoffs, but I so enjoyed the Falcons in the first 3 quarters. I turned it off at the beginning of the 4th quarter so I wouldn't get depressed (and watched eps from SPN season 7). I was happy not to hear the final score until this morning!

• Love 1

Welcome @Wayward Son! Everyone on this site is insane, so just be informed!

I too, am super excited about Bates Motel! I've missed that show so much!

Awesom and 7kstar, I get so much of what you're saying concerning teaching! I taught for 29 years, and every year I had "Helicopter Parents" coming into my office to pressure me to ease up on their kids. The kicker is, for the last 27 years, I TAUGHT GRAD SCHOOL! For Christ's sake, these weren't kids, they were adults! My class was mandatory in several fields for a degree, it's not like they were blindsided by the work. I just don't get it.

My students were mostly, to their credit, deeply embarrassed by their parents behavior. I always held my ground.

I'm not talking about the SB. I hate Brady/Belicheck with a passion!

But I liked the Skittles commercial!

• Love 4

What do you think of this song? (HeavyDirtySoul by Twenty One Pilots)

I don't know what I think about it really.

Except, listening to it made me feel very old. And then the radio station played Linkin Park right after it and I felt very old in an entirely different way.

• Love 1
On 15/02/2017 at 3:03 PM, Demented Daisy said:

We have some new people around (hi, new people!) so could you repost a quick overview of the rules for the threads?  Thanks.

I am one of the newbies. The IMDB message board just closed down and a few of us 'refugees' have come over to your lovely board. Hi there.

On 15/02/2017 at 3:54 PM, SilverStormm said:

Done, if any have been missed please let us know.

And here is probably the stupidest question....where did you post the rules?

It is always daunting to jump in to a new community. I don't want to put my foot in it. Am confused about a few things eg is it not the done thing to start new threads? Almost all the debate seems to be confined to 2 or 3 main threads (latest ep thread, spoilers and the bitterness thread). I'm sure I will get the hang of it, but reading the rules would be a good start.

Want to compliment you on my experience so far. It seems a really friendly, active, well run and balanced board. 

• Love 1

We have very few rules particular to the SPN forum; they consist of the one above, one from the Bitterness topic, and one from the media topic. These are in addition to the general site rule of 'Be Civil' and you can find more info here. 

As for starting new topics; anyone is welcome to do so, providing you check that what you want to do isn't already covered by one of the many existing topics. Also, please be aware any topic which doesn't get any/much traffic may be merged with another eventually.

Thanks!

Thanks @SilverStormm 

I love that you try to contain a lot of the negativity, particularly about 1 character over another, into 1 thread. While I appreciate that people like to vent, it makes it easier to avoid if you don't want to engage in that kind of debate.

I guess I will just wade in and see what happens.

Edited by SilverStormm
Added quote to make sense as post has been moved.
  • Love 4

I bought my ticket to the Minneapolis convention today. They offered a new event this year. A Thursday night slumber party. It took me a while to find the description. There wasn't much there. For an extra 300 bucks, you could spend three hours with the two lady sheriffs. All it said was bring your appetite. So, apparently they give you food. I really like when those two show up on the episodes, but I really didn't like them at the convention. Even if I did, 300 bucks. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, CluelessDrifter said:

Hi, I'm new.  I just thought I'd say hello and see if it's okay if I join.  I'm from IMDB too.

Welcome and since I haven't said it before, welcome to all the newbies. It's always great to see new perspectives.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, CluelessDrifter said:

Hi, I'm new.  I just thought I'd say hello and see if it's okay if I join.  I'm from IMDB too.

Of course it is okay to join!   Hi and welcome to the board.  We may not agree about everything but we do try to play nice with each other.

I think I would skip the 300.00 sleep over too.  But I'm cheap and only seen a convention from youtube.

On 2/6/2017 at 10:00 AM, rue721 said:

Hey everybody, I am going to be in Richardson, TX for a few days around Presidents' Day

I'm usually driving around dallas.  If you want to see some of downtown it might be interesting but honestly I've been away from Dallas for a long time.  Lots of little cities are around there though.  I know Arlington is about 30 minutes away and Ft Worth is an hour.  Just depends on what you want to do, and I would have to look it up on the internet as everything has changed and I've forgotten more than I know.  Hope you have fun.

Thankful today as we had 4 tornadoes touch down in our fair city but my house is fine.  Worst issue was losing electricity.  Some weren't that lucky.  Heading into the the final count down before One Act.  Please pray that I stay sane.  If not, if you find my brain please send it back my way.  LOL>

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

I really like when those two show up on the episodes, but I really didn't like them at the convention.

Oh, how come? What did they do?

I dunno how expensive Minneapolis is, but $300 for dinner and a place to sleep, plus a con "event" (hanging with the sheriffs, I mean), actually sounds pretty reasonable. Even without the "event," wouldn't you easily hit $200 just for food & lodging for that night?

But that depends on how expensive hotels and food are in the area I guess. Or if you can/will bunk up, bring your own food, etc.

Not saying that you should go! :) Just saying that that actually sounds kind of oddly cheap, and it's making me wonder if they're not too popular on the con circuit.

OK guys I did make it out to TX, and ended up picking up dinner at a Tex Mex place. Dinner was delicious, but everything actually is bigger in Texas. A lot bigger. The waitress brought out my carry-out meal in a giant shopping bag (a toddler could have fit in it), and there is so much leftover and so much trash/packaging that I can't even throw it away because the trash can here in the hotel room is too small and it won't fit.

I am now regretting everything and feeling very sick.

Although I'll probably get another steak at that place again tomorrow though, ibr.

ETA:  yes, of course you're welcome here, @CluelessDrifter! Always nice to have some fresh bloo---- er, new perspectives ;)

Edited by rue721
  • Love 1

Welcome Clueless Drifter! This is the best group on PTV, you'll love it here!

29 minutes ago, 7kstar said:

Of course it is okay to join!   Hi and welcome to the board.  We may not agree about everything but we do try to play nice with each other.

I think I would skip the 300.00 sleep over too.  But I'm cheap and only seen a convention from youtube.

I'm usually driving around dallas.  If you want to see some of downtown it might be interesting but honestly I've been away from Dallas for a long time.  Lots of little cities are around there though.  I know Arlington is about 30 minutes away and Ft Worth is an hour.  Just depends on what you want to do, and I would have to look it up on the internet as everything has changed and I've forgotten more than I know.  Hope you have fun.

Thankful today as we had 4 tornadoes touch down in our fair city but my house is fine.  Worst issue was losing electricity.  Some weren't that lucky.  Heading into the the final count down before One Act.  Please pray that I stay sane.  If not, if you find my brain please send it back my way.  LOL>

7kstar, you have enough on your plate! Tornados?! I worry about you, but if I find your brain, I will promptly send it to you!

One act? Your play?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mick Lady said:

7kstar, you have enough on your plate! Tornados?! I worry about you, but if I find your brain, I will promptly send it to you!

One act? Your play?

our contest is a 40 min. time limit so it is called One Act play.  Our play this year is Shakespeare Unbound.  In the final count down as it is this Friday.  I knew I could count on you to find my brain.  lol

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, 7kstar said:

our contest is a 40 min. time limit so it is called One Act play.  Our play this year is Shakespeare Unbound.  In the final count down as it is this Friday.  I knew I could count on you to find my brain.  lol

This is the one where all Shakespeare's plays get mixed up right? I'd kill to see it! Good luck! Report back later, okay?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, CluelessDrifter said:

Welcome, CluelessDrifter. I hope that you enjoy it here. Some of us - like me - are kinda weird, but we're (mostly) harmless.

2 hours ago, 7kstar said:

If not, if you find my brain please send it back my way.  LOL>

Well, maybe... I could use an extra brain, you know. Lately mine ain't what it used to be. But because it's you, I'll be nice and send it back.

I'm betting @Mick Lady will have better luck though... I can barely keep my own mind from wandering away on a daily basis. Heh.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Welcome, CluelessDrifter. I hope that you enjoy it here. Some of us - like me - are kinda weird, but we're (mostly) harmless.

Well, maybe... I could use an extra brain, you know. Lately mine ain't what it used to be. But because it's you, I'll be nice and send it back.

I'm betting @Mick Lady will have better luck though... I can barely keep my own mind from wandering away on a daily basis. Heh.

Stop posting Awesomo! Get to writing!

Just... leave out the spiders!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AwesomO4000 said:

You know that this is just tempting me to somehow put them in, right?

(And shhhh, I'm supposed to be doing work.* Pretend that you don't see me.)

* Gathering data. Wish I could borrow @Demented Daisy's brain for a while... she loves that shit stuff!

Oh shit!! You and Demented together is my worst nightmare!

*Huddles in corner, shaking*

• Love 3
8 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

* Gathering data. Wish I could borrow @Demented Daisy's brain for a while... she loves that shit stuff!

Send it my way!  Lists and data and stats, let me just throw them all on a bed and roll around in them!  

6 hours ago, Mick Lady said:

Oh shit!! You and Demented together is my worst nightmare!

Hey!  I'm a good girl, I am!  ;-)

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, Demented Daisy said:

Send it my way!  Lists and data and stats, let me just throw them all on a bed and roll around in them!  

Hey!  I'm a good girl, I am!  ;-)

Washed your face and 'ands you did?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Demented Daisy said:

Then you know what would happen?

"One of us, one of us, one of us, one of us...."

Haven't thought of that movie since I saw the "Butters" episode of South Park! Demented, you deserve your name! If I remember correctly, so does your Dad!

Ah...stay away from Awesom, okay?

• Love 1

Thanks guys for the laughs.  I'm clueless right now!  So the drama keeps happening you know in the drama after school rehearsals.  This time it's horseplay and I'll be blamed for not supervising students when it happened, just wait for it.  Of course one of the kids that got hurt is the one from the last time with the parent from Hell.  sigh

My advice - what ever you do DON'T become a TEACHER...RUN the other way and do not pass Go!

It must be true, if you Say "Macbeth" in the auditorium bad things do happen....CAN someone BREAK this CURSE please, pretty please.

Why do you think I'm stressed out?????

• Love 4

Hi I'm wiped out!  One Act is done.  We didn't place but 3 students got individual awards and one said "Hey, the Judge didn't tell us anything you hadn't already said.  I asked why don't you listen to me then.  "Cause, your just a teacher."  sigh.

Several told me good show, and they had some strong moments, but other parts wasn't so good.

• Love 3