Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Impala

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, rue721 said:

Right now, I'm eating some Nutella on Ritz crackers for dessert, though. It's especially good if you mix the Nutella with peanut butter, right on the top of the cracker. Mmmmmm. Very filling, though.

Darn you for putting Nutella in my mind!  (so now I'm sitting here and eating it with a spoon straight out of the jar...*sigh*)  Mainlining chocolate, my mood-altering drug of choice.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

Darn you for putting Nutella in my mind!  (so now I'm sitting here and eating it with a spoon straight out of the jar...*sigh*)

My leftovers from dinner... ;)

IMG_0498.JPG

IMG_0499.JPG

ETA:  and I don't actually live in an endless black void. Those pictures just came out funky for some reason.

Edited by rue721
explanation of my extremely mysterious living circumstances
  • Love 1

This was my Costco purchase yesterday (still finishing up my last jar so I didn't have to open them yet...)  BTW, those are two *33.5 oz* jars. Should lasts me at least a week or two.  Want me to send you one, Rue?

nutella.jpg

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

This was my Costco purchase yesterday (still finishing up my last jar so I didn't have to open them yet...)  BTW, those are two *33.5 oz* jars. Should lasts me at least a week or two.  Want me to send you one, Rue?

nutella.jpg

Oh wow! I mean...kinda? LOL.

OK that's it, I'm going to bed before I get even hungrier. Tomorrow is a new day -- and uhhhhh maybe I'll spend some of it at Giant buying chocolate ;)

• Love 3

Oh, and I don't usually keep my Nutella on my printer next to the computer.  It just happened to be the only clear space where I could get a photo without all the junk in the background (yes, I'm a bad, bad housekeeper!)

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Mick Lady said:

Thanks for all the kind words you guys! It means the world to me!

And catrox! You found an intro for Thursdays!! How could I ever doubt you?!

I'm so damn happy right now.....

*waves*  So glad you're here!

• Love 2

Aw thanks Sue! You guys have always been in my thoughts, and I swear you guys gave me so much strength! I will never, ever forget what I found here. This is such a loving place, and I have so much catching up to do!

• Love 5
On 11/1/2016 at 8:21 PM, AwesomO4000 said:

Hee, I'm nibbling on that passionfruit chocolate. I always feel a little bad when I first break one of the bars though, since they are so precisely formed with a design on the front and everything... but then I taste the chocolate and don't feel so bad anymore. Hee.

But no, I haven't tried Bark Thins Chocolate Pieces.

Passionfruit is awful. And yes, I have had it fresh. 

So here's a crazy thing about the Cubs win.  A writer noted that it was meant to be this season because

It's been 108 years since that victory
The baseball has 108 seams.

Seems like it was time. Also, the Cubs are just REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY good. They earned it. Best record all season.

• Love 1

Thanks for the congrats, all! This Cubs fan is doing a happy dance right about now. No more waiting 'til next year for us. Down 3-1 and they came back and won it. What a team! My son was at the game and said it was positively electric! :-)

• Love 2

Here I am again, once more saying "Sorry I haven't posted!"

Mick had hip replacement surgery on Friday, (A good thing!), and I just brought him home today. Yup, it's been a hell of a year medically for us, but we're past the worst!

Congrats to all the Cub's fans, I'm delighted for you all!!

As an aside, thanks catrox for encouraging me to check out TWD again, you were right!

I'll be back in the episode thread, God I love Supernatural!!!

I really truly love you guys. Thanks for putting up with me and my drama!

• Love 5
On 11/3/2016 at 9:21 AM, mertensia said:

I like guavas quite a bit, though. Also guanabanas.

I'm not much for Guava myself, but guanabana is awesome. I rarely get to have it, because we don't have much in the way of Latin cuisine or stores here (unfortunately). Sometimes I can find tamarind juice though, and I'm also fond of horchata.

As for the passionfruit, I don't know about fresh. The ones in the chocolate are dried, so I am assuming concentrated for maximum sweet and tangy flavor. The other things I've had passionfruit in are juice and this wonderful pastry bomb thing with passionfruit cream in it which was yummy. Truthfully I'm not sure I've ever had a real passionfruit itself. I've had its relative, a maypop fruit, and that was pretty good, but a lot of work (Very seedy).

I grew up in New England, so didn't find out about my fondness for Latin food until I went to college in Florida. Fried sweet plantains are one of my favorite foods, and fortunately I can find those - though not as good as the real Latin ones - locally, and I'm not too bad at cooking them.

Edited by AwesomO4000
misplaced commas all over the place. Had to wrangle them out.
50 minutes ago, pixelcat said:

Nothing like standing in line to vote while listening to Jensen's version of "Simple Man".  I had no idea he has such a beautiful voice!

I love his voice so much.  Have you seen his "Whipping Post" renditions.  Lawdy!!! /swoon

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Diane said:

Me too. I have had a health diagnosis today, that is bad I really need to be able to keep my health insurance. I have scleroderma. Oh well 

Diane, I'm so sorry.  First days after diagnosis are always terrifying (I was diagnosed last November with PBC, an autoimmune liver disease.)  I know how difficult it can be to keep a positive attitude, but hopefully they won't be changing anything with health insurance for a while, and both scleroderma and PBC can be controlled/managed for a long, long time.   

Edited by ahrtee
  • Love 3

*Sends good thoughts Diane's way.*

Makes my woes look small.

P.S. - Hubby and I jokingly considered moving to an island somewhere when he retires. That doesn't seem so much a joke anymore... well if last night hadn't seriously dinged our retirement that is. I already have to just smile and hold my tongue so often where I live. It's going to be worse now.

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Diane said:

Thank you all, hugs to everyone today! One day at a time! @ahrtee so sorry for your diagnosis. Sending hugs your way too!

Thanks for the hug, Diane.  And yes, I'm having the same health care panic that you are.  (I'm using leftover Halloween candy as my coping mechanism...)  Fingers crossed!

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

Thanks for the hug, Diane.  And yes, I'm having the same health care panic that you are.  (I'm using leftover Halloween candy as my coping mechanism...)  Fingers crossed!

your a better person than me, I used a bottle of wine.

• Love 1

Oh Diane, this sucks! Mick had hip replacement surgery last Friday, thank God for the VA! But I know many who are terrified of losing their health insurance. How can anyone be so cruel? I'm sorry, health care should be a right!  Who was it that said society could only call itself a civilization when they took care of the poorest and most needy among them? It's certainly the way I feel. ahrtee, I hope and pray you can get the help you deserve. Please let us know if we can help.

I also agree with the wine alternative....

Edited by Mick Lady
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, ahrtee said:

Can't use wine...liver issues.  *sigh*  

OH crap, true, I am trying to loose weight so no candy. I will make you a deal you do the candy for me and I will do the wine for you!

2 hours ago, Mick Lady said:

Oh Diane, this sucks! Mick had hip replacement surgery last Friday, thank God for the VA! But I know many who are terrified of losing their health insurance. How can anyone be so cruel? I'm sorry, health care should be a right!  Who was it that said society could only call itself a civilization when they took care of the poorest and most needy among them? It's certainly the way I feel. ahrtee, I hope and pray you can get the help you deserve. Please let us know if we can help.

Mick lady thank you, it will work out. I have some weird faith that it will be alright, I just agree we shouldn't have anyone without access to healthcare. It is a right. You take care, hope Mick is doing well too. I will wish for fast healing for him. 

I haven't wanted to say anything but I feel like I need to share some news.  

One of my two brothers passed away on Saturday morning.  He and I weren't close & there are a lot of issues  surrounding him and the rest of my family. Really heavy things. He had health issues for a long time. Our other brother told me a couple of weeks ago it didn't look good for him, but we didn't think it would be NOW. I expected I would be sad but not all these conflicted emotions given history but also the sadness is rather overwhelming.  It's stirring up so many things. That plus the election... today I feel like I can't feel anything.  

16 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

One of my two brothers passed away on Saturday morning.  He and I weren't close & there are a lot of issues  surrounding him and the rest of my family. Really heavy things. He had health issues for a long time. Our other brother told me a couple of weeks ago it didn't look good for him, but we didn't think it would be NOW. I expected I would be sad but not all these conflicted emotions given history but also the sadness is rather overwhelming.  It's stirring up so many things. That plus the election... today I feel like I can't feel anything.  

@catrox14, I am so sorry for your loss, praying for peace for you and your family.  We are here for you.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Oh, Catrox, I'm so sorry.  Of course there will be conflicted emotions, and no matter what you expect, no matter how much you think you know how you'll react, it's never what you expect and you're never completely prepared.  Just let yourself feel whatever fits at the moment (and it'll probably change moment by moment) and it's all OK.  Give it time and know that we're thinking of you.  

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, Diane said:

OH crap, true, I am trying to loose weight so no candy. I will make you a deal you do the candy for me and I will do the wine for you!

Deal!  (I hope you like chocolate...)

3 hours ago, Mick Lady said:

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers, Mick Lady, and I hope Mick is doing well.  As to helping...maybe write your Congressman and tell others to make a fuss if it looks like the new government is going to do something drastic to health care?  Because *everyone* deserves health care, and even though I've been paying ridiculous premiums (and am willing to continue) if they put back the ability to exclude because of "pre-existing conditions", they can "decline to cover" no matter how much you're willing to pay.  And that leaves us with no options at all.  

• Love 2

@catrox14 know that you can come and talk or vent anytime you need to. We are here.

3 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

Deal!  (I hope you like chocolate...)

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers, Mick Lady, and I hope Mick is doing well.  As to helping...maybe write your Congressman and tell others to make a fuss if it looks like the new government is going to do something drastic to health care?  Because *everyone* deserves health care, and even though I've been paying ridiculous premiums (and am willing to continue) if they put back the ability to exclude because of "pre-existing conditions", they can "decline to cover" no matter how much you're willing to pay.  And that leaves us with no options at all.  

I agree all of that worries me. My congressman suck I live in Oklahoma, I am embarrassed to say my state keeps electing Jim Inhoff, my apologies to the rest of this nation. I just hope more sane heads will prevail.

i love love chocolate!

Edited by Diane
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Thank you, Diane and Arhtee.  I feel like I just finally started getting over my mom's passing last year and then this.  Trying to not be overwhelmed again :(

It's normal to feel overwhelmed, especially now.  Don't fight it but just wait and let it pass.  And (as Diane said) come and talk any time.  

• Love 2

catrox, I am so damn sorry!  Everyone here has been so kind to me the last year, but you, Awesome, SueB and a few others (I hate missing someone, so I should just shut up!) have been especially gentle to me. Now it's time for payback. If I can do anything...

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Diane said:

I agree all of that worries me. My congressman suck I live in Oklahoma, I am embarrassed to say my state keeps electing Jim Inhoff, my apologies to the rest of this nation. I just hope more sane heads will prevail.

i love love chocolate!

Don't apologize for your state.  I live in a *very* conservative/religious right/Republican part of Colorado.  My sister (who lives in San Francisco) keeps trying to get me to move there.  

Glad you love chocolate.  Right now, I'm working on the Nutella I bought the other day (see posts at the top of this page.)  Will that work for you?  

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

Don't apologize for your state.  I live in a *very* conservative/religious right/Republican part of Colorado.  My sister (who lives in San Francisco) keeps trying to get me to move there.  

Glad you love chocolate.  Right now, I'm working on the Nutella I bought the other day (see posts at the top of this page.)  Will that work for you?  

Works for me I am drinking a wonderful Pinot Grigio, hope that is ok.one of my younger brothers and his wife live in DC they would love for me to move there, but I can't leave my parents. Oh well. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Diane said:

Works for me I am drinking a wonderful Pinot Grigio, hope that is ok.one of my younger brothers and his wife live in DC they would love for me to move there, but I can't leave my parents. Oh well. 

That sounds good!  

I grew up in NYC and the politics out here constantly surprises me.  And usually not in a good way.  But other than that, I like it here.

• Love 2
Just now, ahrtee said:

That sounds good!  

I grew up in NYC and the politics out here constantly surprises me.  And usually not in a good way.  But other than that, I like it here.

I grew up here and fortunately I live in Tulsa and we are the most liberal part of the state. I take solace in the fact that my precinct voted overwhelmingly for Secretary Clinton. We are also very LGBT friendly in Tulsa. It's the other parts that are not so nice.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, catrox14 said:

I'm so sorry to hear that @catrox14

• Love 1
15 hours ago, catrox14 said:

I'm sending good thoughts your way @catrox14, and as others have said, we are here if you need to vent/share/emote.

• Love 1

Decided to put this in it's own post, because I didn't want to take away from my condolences to catrox...

I've been doing enough emoting around the house myself since Tuesday evening that I'm probably driving my hubby crazy. Heh. But since he likes to watch CNN, I can't be entirely responsible if I see something on there that sets me off.*

* And I have this irrational hatred of that woman on the panel with the bleached blonde hair that likes to mention that she went to Harvard Law School every chance she gets. I am not usually like that, but generally whenever she starts talking about the wonders of the republican party and what a loser President Obama is, I just want to reach through the television screen and punch her in the nose. Repeatedly. (And I've never punched anyone in my life). And now that Trump has won, I'm afraid I will be seeing a lot more of that woman - oh joy.

• Love 1