Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Impala

• Start Topic

@Commando Cody, I'm so sorry.  Hope he can recover.   Hugs

As far as trying to preserve the Castiel, what about a picture frame.  You may have to do a custom job but if you can keep from air getting to it, it might do the trick.  Just a thought.

11 hours ago, SueB said:

Time for an overshare... skip if it squicks you...

So, when I was 19, I was nearly raped by a frat-boy who was walking me home so I would be 'safe' after being at a party.  I fought and yanked on his privates and got away.  Near miss and like many women was too ashamed to do much but cry and get support from my friends.  I survived and was much more cautious after that.  Well, the guy had a beard. And honestly, I never thought much about beards before then but since... well, I won't let my husband or son have one.  I didn't want to literally touch one again. I mean, I was okay with my bearded brother in law giving me hugs but ...IDK.  Anyway, at DCCon, Mark Shepard (for reasons I cannot possibly understand) gave me a fabulous hug and a check to check picture with his beard.  And it was soft.  And I wasn't squicked.  I was too busy being delighted. Of course I got massive hugs from ALL kinds of bearded handsome men at the Supernatural convention and it didn't phase me. And now I see a picture of Misha Collins, one of the gentlest souls I have ever met, and I realize... damn, I think I'm over it.  My beard issue, that is. So, I think I owe the boys of Supernatural a thanks.  I probably won't mention this to hubby or son, but I think I also won't fuss at them if they get a beard. So long as it's soft. 

Sue you are my hero, so sorry that happened to you, you are a survivor.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, 7kstar said:

@Commando Cody, I'm so sorry.  Hope he can recover.   Hugs

As far as trying to preserve the Castiel, what about a picture frame.  You may have to do a custom job but if you can keep from air getting to it, it might do the trick.  Just a thought.

Thank you, 7KSTAR. I appreciate it.

I probably will have it framed eventually. 

• Love 1

Thank you all for the thoughts and well wishes. They must be working. He's not out of the clear yet, but he is showing improvement over yesterday. I spent most of yesterday sobbing on and off because I thought this was going to be it for him. Since he is showing improvement, we are going to give him another day to see if it continues. I guess I should say we are taking it one day at a time. 

• Love 3
On December 27, 2015 at 7:08 PM, Demented Daisy said:

aY7qr9L.jpg

The house at the bottom of the photo, to the right of the red truck, is my childhood home.  But the good news is that all family and friends are safe and accounted for after the tornadoes outside Dallas last night.  

Out of curiosity, I looked up my old home a few minutes ago to see if the owners had fixed it up.  Sadly, no.  They demolished it.  I suppose it was too expensive to rebuild.  

But a few years ago, I commissioned a painting of it, so I only have to look at that to remember what it was.

31 minutes ago, Demented Daisy said:

Out of curiosity, I looked up my old home a few minutes ago to see if the owners had fixed it up.  Sadly, no.  They demolished it.  I suppose it was too expensive to rebuild.  

But a few years ago, I commissioned a painting of it, so I only have to look at that to remember what it was.

I'm glad you've got a painting to look at.  I've been taking pictures of my parents house because I know that it won't be there forever.  Luckily our memories can live forever.  I know it is nice to have something physical to help keep those memories alive. 

I can also get how it can create some pain even if it is minor that it is gone.  My Dad's mother's home is gone.  I was going to go to take some pictures but got told it's so different I wouldn't even know where it once was.  I only have a few memories but I don't think I have pictures of it, so all I have is my memories. 

So may that painting keep the memories alive for a long long time.  :)  Sorry the house was destroyed.

• Love 1

Well, I'm having a "Mom" crisis and I've come to share my pain (please feel free to skip).  I had planned to go to SDCC again this year.  Have a 4 day pass, hotel, airplane and tickets to the Wayward Cocktail party.  Then my son tells me his move-in date to Med School is that week.  And I'm already missing some "family events" the next week (but NOT the White Coat ceremony ... I won't miss that). So... first I'm thinking... does he REALLY need me to help him get set up?  And the answer, of course, is "no". BUT, I SHOULD help him get set up.  He's got the fiance with him but it would also be a nice time for "Mom" to be around and make those essential Target runs for the bits and bobs he doesn't have.  So... I think I'll be moving my son into Med School versus SDCC this year.  That's okay-ish... I did it last year and don't have to go EVERY year... BUT... Last year at the Wayward Cocktails party I had an hour conversation w/ Adam Glass, at least 20 mins with Robbie Thomspon and Bobo Berens, met Ben Edlund, and I think Jenny Klein (I don't remember to much as the night went on... too many "I Found A Liquor Store And I Drank It" (aka Long Island Ice Tea) drinks.  And I got great pictures. Then promptly lost my camera in the Taxi ("mistakes were made"..."I was drunk, it was Comic Con).  So, IF they come again, I was hoping to get at least my Robbie/Bobo picture recovered.  But now I should probably cancel.

So.. I think I'm going to cancel.  Catrox... you think you could go into downtown San Diego at 6pm on Thursday, 21 Jul?  If so, my Wayward Cocktail ticket is yours.  If not... then I'll put it out for wider "free" distro.  Please note, there's no guarantee the writers will show again.  Robbie is likely IMO as he's signing at the convention for Silk (I'm fairly sure).  Just let me know.

Ack. Hard.  I have to cancel everything and it hurts. But MOM.  So.. *sigh*

(edited)
8 minutes ago, SueB said:

Well, I'm having a "Mom" crisis and I've come to share my pain (please feel free to skip).  I had planned to go to SDCC again this year.  Have a 4 day pass, hotel, airplane and tickets to the Wayward Cocktail party.  Then my son tells me his move-in date to Med School is that week.  And I'm already missing some "family events" the next week (but NOT the White Coat ceremony ... I won't miss that). So... first I'm thinking... does he REALLY need me to help him get set up?  And the answer, of course, is "no". BUT, I SHOULD help him get set up.  He's got the fiance with him but it would also be a nice time for "Mom" to be around and make those essential Target runs for the bits and bobs he doesn't have.  So... I think I'll be moving my son into Med School versus SDCC this year.  That's okay-ish... I did it last year and don't have to go EVERY year... BUT... Last year at the Wayward Cocktails party I had an hour conversation w/ Adam Glass, at least 20 mins with Robbie Thomspon and Bobo Berens, met Ben Edlund, and I think Jenny Klein (I don't remember to much as the night went on... too many "I Found A Liquor Store And I Drank It" (aka Long Island Ice Tea) drinks.  And I got great pictures. Then promptly lost my camera in the Taxi ("mistakes were made"..."I was drunk, it was Comic Con).  So, IF they come again, I was hoping to get at least my Robbie/Bobo picture recovered.  But now I should probably cancel.

So.. I think I'm going to cancel.  Catrox... you think you could go into downtown San Diego at 6pm on Thursday, 21 Jul?  If so, my Wayward Cocktail ticket is yours.  If not... then I'll put it out for wider "free" distro.  Please note, there's no guarantee the writers will show again.  Robbie is likely IMO as he's signing at the convention for Silk (I'm fairly sure).  Just let me know.

Ack. Hard.  I have to cancel everything and it hurts. But MOM.  So.. *sigh*

I'm sorry, that sucks.  I also have a son, so I understand. Yay for your son and Med school.

Edited by Diane
52 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

As far as I know, we don't have anything like that in Minnesota. 

Creation doesn't invite the writers. But they drove down th San Diego for Comic Con in their own dime and came to the Super Wiki's party just for fun. No guarantees but a unique experience last year. 

• Love 1

@SueB Is there anyway to do a little of both.  Not sure how old your son is, but my parents didn't help me move all the time and looked for some times we could get together.  I will admit, that I didn't spend much time with my family from the college years and soon after.  Actually only had friends to help and a few times it was just me.

So many times we get stuck in this or that instead of looking at is it possible to combine and do both.  If you can't then totally get it.  Sounds like last year was really fun, sorry you lost your camera. Can get feeling bum but also excited to spend some time with your son.  :)

1 hour ago, 7kstar said:

@SueB Is there anyway to do a little of both.  Not sure how old your son is, but my parents didn't help me move all the time and looked for some times we could get together.  I will admit, that I didn't spend much time with my family from the college years and soon after.  Actually only had friends to help and a few times it was just me.

So many times we get stuck in this or that instead of looking at is it possible to combine and do both.  If you can't then totally get it.  Sounds like last year was really fun, sorry you lost your camera. Can get feeling bum but also excited to spend some time with your son.  :)

Thought about it. My Joe-Joe (okay, he's 6'2" 240 and was a walk-on Linebacker at Colorado State... But he's still my Joe-Joe) matters more.  Hopefully someone will go and get the Intel for me. 

• Love 1
(edited)

The Minneapolis Supernatural convention and the 50th anniversary Star Trek convention are the same weekend. Everything about last year's Supernatural convention is exactly the same. From the hotel I stayed in and the walk across the skyway to the Convention Center. The only difference is, the Star Trek convention is in the hotel I'm staying in. 

Apparently they don't really put up any sort of schedule until the Wednesday before the conventions. I need to work out my schedule very carefully. I also need to decide what I want Shatner to sign.  I hope to run into Shatner and Misha in the same elevator. (Yeah, I know that's only a dream).

I can't see if anything is going on Thursday night before the convention. Last year, Ash did a ghost tour. He wanted 200 bucks for it though. I probably wouldn't have gone if I had known about it. 

The Star Trek 50th was also half the price of the Supernatural convention. However, I save money on the cost of the hotel - because I only have to pay for one weekend. 

That reminds me, I need to make some prints of the photos I took at last year's convention. 

Edited by Commando Cody
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

The Minneapolis Supernatural convention and the 50th anniversary Star Trek convention are the same weekend. Everything about last year's Supernatural convention is exactly the same. From the hotel I stayed in and the walk across the skyway to the Convention Center. The only difference is, the Star Trek convention is in the hotel I'm staying in. 

Apparently they don't really put up any sort of schedule until the Wednesday before the conventions. I need to work out my schedule very carefully. I also need to decide what I want Shatner to sign.  I hope to run into Shatner and Misha in the same elevator. (Yeah, I know that's only a dream).

I can't see if anything is going on Thursday night before the convention. Last year, Ash did a ghost tour. He wanted 200 bucks for it though. I probably wouldn't have gone if I had known about it. 

The Star Trek 50th was also half the price of the Supernatural convention. However, I save money on the cost of the hotel - because I only have to pay for one weekend. 

That reminds me, I need to make some prints of the photos I took at last year's convention. 

Get the Shat to sign a cupcake apron!

2 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

What's the significance of a cupcake apron?

Misha served coffee to people in the Hall H line at comic con a couple of years ago. And he wore a cupcake patterned apron. Pics were plentiful and Shatner started calling him cupcake. Although now I think he refers to him as boo. And although they faux frenemy on Twitter, when Misha was robbed last year st MinnCon, Shatner was DMing Rich, Rob, J2, Clif and anyone he could find to make sure he was okay. Per Rich, Bill was having kittens over Misha being injured and wasn't okay until he knew Misha was fine.  They also support each other's charities. But, if you give him a Misha thing to sign he'll likely go curmudgeon on you as its part of their schtick. 

• Love 1

Trying to get over being dizzy and tried the half somersault to see if it would cure it.  It's better but my focus is still low.

Then I just got the news, yep I agree the hail damage means you need a new roof.  Just when I get one bill for the house paid off here comes a new one.  I know it's just normal blah blah but I really wanted to do something fun for my vacation time. 

There goes this year's money.  At least insurance will help out on some.  Wondering about seeing if I could put a metal roof on, but it may be way out of my price range and Insurance will only cover composite 25 year roof.  Plus not sure if home owner association will allow metal. 

These are the times I wish I could just be the kid and let someone else be responsible.  Oh how my students want to be in charge, never realizing how much work it is to be the adult in charge.  :)

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, 7kstar said:

These are the times I wish I could just be the kid and let someone else be responsible.  Oh how my students want to be in charge, never realizing how much work it is to be the adult in charge. 

I swear to gods, I literally had this same thought myself this morning. But then I realized I don't want that because I don't trust anyone enough to take charge of my life LOL. I think I may have issues.

Do any of you work for Uber or at some point worked for Uber? They approved me to drive for them today. However, I read somewhere that you need to drive with some emblem in the front of the car.  They don't mail them to you. It is a long drive to go get one. I'm kind of disappointed because July 4th is probably a pretty big weekend. Would they really find out if you didn't have one? Who polices the emblems? The Uber offices are closed until the fifth. 

Can you find the emblem online somewhere and print off a temporary one?

(And if you do, but it's not legal.... I was never here. ; ) )

Looks like catrox beat me to it, and provided better information.

• Love 1

Thanks to both of you. After I posted that last comment, I searched for Uber Dressage or something like that. I did print out an emblem. According to some message board posts, they do mail the real ones. The site says I have to go pick them up, but I'm not driving all the way there just for that. So hopefully, I will get one in the mail. 

1 hour ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Can you find the emblem online somewhere and print off a temporary one?

(And if you do, but it's not legal.... I was never here. ; ) )

Looks like catrox beat me to it, and provided better information.

Errm, I can't take credit that was @7kstar. Not me. LOL I was going to call my Uber driver friend but to ask him but I got distracted. LOL

Looks like catrox beat me to it, and provided better information

Errm, I can't take credit that was @7kstar. Not me.

Hmmm so does this mean that @catrox14 and I think alike?  :)

• Love 2
(edited)
12 hours ago, catrox14 said:

Errm, I can't take credit that was @7kstar. Not me. LOL I was going to call my Uber driver friend but to ask him but I got distracted. LOL

It's the thought that counts? Let's pretend that I could read your mind, catrox, and gave you credit for your intention. On second thought that might be an extremely disturbing thought for you. Never mind, nothing to see here... ; )

3 hours ago, 7kstar said:

Hmmm so does this mean that @catrox14 and I think alike?  :)

Heh, maybe... but more likely it means that I am lazy (I should've up-paged to double check), somewhat addle-brained in remembering incorrectly (highly likely - my brain sure ain't what it used to be), or both... but I'll also blame my internet connection which has been acting up the last few days and so I'm often trying to speed through a post to get it posted in case my connection craps out. It does seem to be doing better now... I think because I had my sister and niece visiting, there was more traffic than usual on the connection the last few days.

So sorry not to have given you the proper credit originally, @7KSTAR.

Edited by AwesomO4000
What do you mean I have to do all caps in order for the @ thingy to work? I hate using all caps... grumble, grumble, damn kids get off my lawn...
  • Love 3

For those who celebrate it...

Happy 4th of July!

Oh, and could somebody please send me some rain? My trees (I have a 1/2 acre of forest in my back yard) and the associated wildlife need it badly. (90+ temperatures and almost no rain for over 2 1/2 weeks now).

• Love 2

I was not born there, but I called Dallas my home for over 15 years.  A woman I knew in high school (a friend of a friend, really, I won't lie) was shot by the sniper last night.  She survived, but her shoulder was shattered and she probably will have to give up her career.

This has to stop.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Demented Daisy said:

I was not born there, but I called Dallas my home for over 15 years.  A woman I knew in high school (a friend of a friend, really, I won't lie) was shot by the sniper last night.  She survived, but her shoulder was shattered and she probably will have to give up her career.

This has to stop.

Oh DD, I'm so sorry for your friends' trauma.  Not just the physical but the emotional. 

And I agree -- this HAS to stop.

So on Saturday night apparently tons of people hoping to be elected put signs up all around Tucson. I noticed as I was driving home Sunday morning.

Including some dude running for Pima County Supervisor. Named John Winchester. Um.

Guess it's time to stock up on salt and Holy Water and think about getting a certain tattoo.

• Love 1

They are redeveloping the building next to mine, and are currently in the process of cutting down all of the trees on their property.  Only one of the trees is actually dead, the others give my bedroom so much shade in the morning!  I am very sad they lied to me and said the trees would be left alone.  They sit on the very corner of the property, as far from the building as they could be.  Guess I'll be up even earlier than normal tomorrow morning (my window faces east).  Hooray?

7 hours ago, mertensia said:

So on Saturday night apparently tons of people hoping to be elected put signs up all around Tucson. I noticed as I was driving home Sunday morning.

Including some dude running for Pima County Supervisor. Named John Winchester. Um.

Guess it's time to stock up on salt and Holy Water and think about getting a certain tattoo.

Not to get TOO political but maybe this is like not the worst thing to happen LOL

52 minutes ago, pixelcat said:

They are redeveloping the building next to mine, and are currently in the process of cutting down all of the trees on their property.  Only one of the trees is actually dead, the others give my bedroom so much shade in the morning!  I am very sad they lied to me and said the trees would be left alone.  They sit on the very corner of the property, as far from the building as they could be.  Guess I'll be up even earlier than normal tomorrow morning (my window faces east).  Hooray?

Man, I feel your pain because this is literally what happened to a tree in my complex right out my window that provided me shade and a place for the baby herons and baby egrets to practice flying. They lopped off the top and cut it down to like 5 branches. I was really upset. The good news is that the herons and egrets did come back. But yeah the shade is gone :(.

I've been fairly absent this last week due to a serious injury to my son last week from a drunk driver.

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/2016/07/14/fort-collins-victims-suspect-identified-double-hit-and-run/87083512/

His fiancé called me from the ambulance. She did a good job. She started with "Joe's okay. But he's been hit by a car. But Joe's okay, he was alert and talking to me."  We had about a tense hour while we wondered whether he would lose his right arm (from just below the elbow).  But the ER team did a great job of stabilizing him in Colorado. Now we're at Johns Hopkins with a team of doctors trying to graft a nerve and repair tendons.  He's also got a serious leg contusion they are taking a second look at. We had 3 surguries in Colorado and 1 at JH.  His fiancé is with him and the outpouring of love from family and friends has been epic.  Still, pretty life altering for him.  He's supposed to begin orientation at Med School on Monday.  Instead he'll be having his 5th surgury (and hopefully his final). If all goes well, he can make the start of class on the 1st of August.  I'll probably be staying with him for two weeks until we get his accommodations and rehab set up.  Fortunately his Med School is only a few hours away from our home and I'll be able to make weekly runs down there to keep him on track. We've asked the school to give him a month to determine if he can handle the class load and rehab.  If not, he'll defer a year.  They've been really supportive.  

So... That's my story.  I've stopped by a few times for distraction.  I'll probably follow all the SDCC stuff avidly for the same reason.  

Oh, Sue, I am so sorry to hear this news. Thank God that he is alive and hopefully on a full mend. My thoughts and prayers are with Joe, you, and all your loved ones. I'm glad to hear that his med school is being so cooperative under these stressful and difficult times. Take care and keep us in the loop.

• Love 2

OMG, @SueB, I am so horrified to hear this.  His fiancé is a gem, though, opening with "Joe's okay."  That's the best way to do bad news like that.  I am glad the med school is working with you all on this, such a pressure relief!

Many hugs to all your family, and hopes that surgeries and rehabs go well for your son.

• Love 2

Oh come on, Kripke. I see this Poor Man's Dean Winchester. Stop trying to make him show up in ALL your shows. I'm annoyed by this and thus I will not watch his new show. Also, no, Yahoo.TV the best looking casts are always on the CW. ALWAYS.