Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Impala

• Start Topic

Got my YANA ditty bag today, and it's really nice. I'm used to such things being made of cheap nylon, but this is sweatshirt material, and has a sweatshirt-styles pocket on the front.

Also, our own SueB got a shout-out from Jarpad on Twitter...!

• Love 3

Got my YANA ditty bag today, and it's really nice. I'm used to such things being made of cheap nylon, but this is sweatshirt material, and has a sweatshirt-styles pocket on the front.

Also, our own SueB got a shout-out from Jarpad on Twitter...!

Well, shit. She wins! Forever. That's awesome

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 3

I watch a lot of historical programming about Jesus. I've seen a lot of motion pictures. Some good. Some not very good. I watched one today. It was called The Nativity Story. It was one of the better movies. 

I didn't recognize Alexander Siddig. He was the Doctor on Deep Space Nine. He played the angel Gabriel. It made me think about the Supernatural Gabriel. I wondered how his disdain and sarcasm would have been portrayed if an angel with his attitude had to announce the arrival of God's son. I suppose two thousand years ago, God and Gabriel could have been on better terms. 

Do you ever feel like going on strike? From the immediate family, that is.

I am seriously thinking of just vanishing for a month.

Well I moved away from my family, I get along with them in small doses some more than others.  Got the news that my nephew just got engaged.  We talked more on the phone through text than I usually hear from him all year.

Everyone is looking for that Brady bunch family...but I've never found it.  Some might be luckier than others, but sometimes you just have to leave for a bit to find the humor in their actions.  I find myself laughing to myself , of course, there is Mom doing her thing.  There is Dad reacting and neither is really hearing or listening to the other.  :)

But dad got the okay to go on the cruise.  I'm fairly certain this will be their last one.  Sometimes I know they can't see how lucky they are.  Finding someone to spend your life with isn't easy and some of us never find it.  But if I ever say something like that to my family they will give the standard spill, "What do you know....you've never been married?"  Actually I just skipped the divorce part  by knowing this person wouldn't work in the long run.  Life is crazy, people are crazy especially family...and sometimes you can only find the dark humor and laugh.

• Love 1

Do you ever feel like going on strike? From the immediate family, that is.

I am seriously thinking of just vanishing for a month.

I wanted to vanish into Italy for a while. If it wasn't for the animals that live here, I would pretty much sell everything I have and disappear. 

• Love 1

Just a question and one I'm reflecting on as well.

Lots of people I know are dealing with a loved one that has passed on.  Everywhere I see one day you will laugh.  As though crying is such a bad emotion.  Without sadness, you don't experience joy.  Without heartache you don't have any close relationships.

How many times do we just know someone, but not really know them.  How many relationships do we have that when they go, will we barely blink an eye or mourn their passing.  I can think of just a few deaths, that hit me hard, took a long time to recover from.  But the others, after a short time, I moved on.  I may think about some of them from time to time and others...well I don't even remember.

I know when I embrace the emotions and use them to create something I do better.  But society is so one sided.  It's better to laugh than cry.  Yet if you never cry how do you really laugh?  I wonder if depression is more about avoiding your emotions, rather than seeing them as something positive.  So the depressed person gets stuck in the negative and is unable to move on because they think they must feel bad when they are sad.

I know when I tell my actors to show sadness, I tell them fight the urge to show your sad.  Try to be anything else and then the sadness shows up.  I doubt middle school kids get this, but a few do. 

How many of us would rather see a comedy vs a drama.  To be a great actor you must have experienced major heartbreak and major joyful events.  Without that it has something missing and all of us can spot that.  Just thinking out loud.

Having some understanding of what's actually going on helps.

For some reason this reminds me of a vignette I did in early high school drama class...I was an innocent. I did the climactic scene from "Suddenly Last Summer". "They were -- were -- eating him!" Um. I thought it was about cannibalism. I hope that makes you chuckle, 7kstar...

• Love 1

Oh the joy of figuring out the meaning of a scene...lol

I had a Drama teacher friend that decided to do "Children's Hour"  I warned her not to do it, it would make the conservative community very mad.  She said she would only do Act 1 & 2.

Well, she decided to do it all, because the students talked her into it.  She didn't run it by anyone.  She didn't get that the real issue of the last act.  The main character is a lesbian, but she hasn't admitted it to herself or anyone else.  So the spoil brat's lies turns out to be the truth and she kills herself.  The hornets nest she created backfired till they found a way to make the teacher retire.  All because she didn't get the ending of her play.  

I'm very careful, I even asked permission to say "metal bra" for a joke in our play.  I had one joke I didn't clear but the kids know I play it very safe now.  But I've always learned from watching others.  If people understood Shakespeare, they would have a fit if they ever saw their children performing those plays again.  Luckily most of it flies over everyone's heads and we just pretend we don't know.  lol

• Love 3

Yeah on one message board I'm on we have some prudes and whenever one of them starts frowny-facing about TV crudeness as opposed to The Good Old Days I always want to say "crude today? Have you *read* Shakespeare?"

• Love 4

I'm sad to hear that, Commando Cody. I liked his character on Crossing Jordan... and the messed up relationship he and Jordan had. It kind of reminded me a little bit of Dean and John with Jordan losing her mother early and it affecting her life, and Jordan's father teaching her age inappropriate (and disturbing) work skills.

The song played at the end of the first episode - John Hiatt's "30 Years of Tears" - I also thought would be appropriate for Dean and Sam as well. I hope in your rewatch that they have the original music after season 1. It would be a shame if it had to be changed since for me, it was an important part of the atmosphere of the show. It was actually the first time I'd heard John Hiatt. And the first time I heard Filter's "Hey Man, Nice Shot" (very creepily and effectively used.)

My hoodie shipped today. 

Weird.  I received my t-shirt a couple of weeks ago.  I didn't bother opening the package because I bought it for my daughter.  Then, this morning, I get a confirmation e-mail, saying my order has shipped.  So I checked the package I already received.  It's a ladies' t-shirt of the correct size, but they sent me a v-neck.  I double-checked my original order confirmation e-mail and the one I got today and both show that I ordered a standard t-shirt, not a v-neck.

I guess I'll hang on to it until/if another t-shirt arrives.

I'm in Oklahoma and I just want to say if any of you are in the tornado hot spots tonight, stay safe. We have tornados on the ground with damage, we were very lucky where I am at that it stayed just north of me.

• Love 2

Yeah, tornado season freaks me out. Lived for a couple of years in Lubbock, TX (beauty spot of the world -- NOT), and it's at the bottom end of the Dry Line. We had some serious storms, for sure. My husband, though, was nuts -- the day my bosses herded all of us down to the vault in the basement was the day hubby and a fellow masters' student went up on the roof of Texas Tech's Ag building and watched the clouds spinning in circles above them. Stupid $@#%, made me so mad!

But this year, there were tornadoes in January, and in December. O.O Not too normal...

Yeah, tornado season freaks me out. Lived for a couple of years in Lubbock, TX (beauty spot of the world -- NOT), and it's at the bottom end of the Dry Line. We had some serious storms, for sure. My husband, though, was nuts -- the day my bosses herded all of us down to the vault in the basement was the day hubby and a fellow masters' student went up on the roof of Texas Tech's Ag building and watched the clouds spinning in circles above them. Stupid $@#%, made me so mad!

But this year, there were tornadoes in January, and in December. O.O Not too normal...

We have been known to grab the wine and watch from the porch, yes we are crazy.  I live in Tulsa right smack in the middle of Tornado Alley.  When I was little we had one touch down in our backyard, then it jumped back up and landed on a main street and proceeded to destroy a large part of our area of town.  We have also had them in December.  Just a part of life in this part of the world.  We are also now earthquake central, we have more in a year than California.  Oklahoma is one strange place to live (weather and politics)

Apropos of nothing, I realized that at least 90% of my posts have been edited( by me) to add something or for clarifications sake since I can't get it right the first or even second time. Is there some kind of posting in forum help line? I feel like I need it, don't even get me started on how many times I accidently type now instead of know or vice versa.

• Love 2

Apropos of nothing, I realized that at least 90% of my posts have been edited( by me) to add something or for clarifications sake since I can't get it right the first or even second time. Is there some kind of posting in forum help line? I feel like I need it, don't even get me started on how many times I accidently type now instead of know or vice versa.

I think there is something squirelly with the forum. I see posts disappearing and reappearing. Words being auto corrected to words I'm not actually typing. Random double posts. The columns paginating and re-paginating.

I am fast, accurate, typist/keyboarder in general, and an accurate speller. I think my grammar is fairly decent as well. But I swear after I post something and I go back to read what I posted, I think I can't spell or write legibly anymore.  And I don't think my mind is going just ....yet. 

So basically...I don't think it's you. 

• Love 1

I think there is something squirelly with the forum. I see posts disappearing and reappearing. Words being auto corrected to words I'm not actually typing. Random double posts. The columns paginating and re-paginating.

I am fast, accurate, typist/keyboarder in general, and an accurate speller. I think my grammar is fairly decent as well. But I swear after I post something and I go back to read what I posted, I think I can't spell or write legibly anymore.  And I don't think my mind is going just ....yet. 

So basically...I don't think it's you. 

Oh thank Chuck, I thought I was losing it!

See there, I had to edit one measly sentence.

Edited by trxr4kids
  • Love 3

I'm willing to blame shift my poor typing and editing skills on bad ads and forum issues ; ) Seriously though, I transpose words and numbers all of the time, I shouldn't be allowed to post without some type of supervision.

• Love 1

I'm willing to blame shift my poor typing and editing skills on bad ads and forum issues ; ) Seriously though, I transpose words and numbers all of the time, I shouldn't be allowed to post without some type of supervision.

I transpose numbers (dyscalculia) FTL.  but I know damn well when I type the word "word" and it shows up as "work" I didn't confuse the D with the K because they are completely opposite on the keyboard. I almost think it's some weird predictive typing/autocorrect thing.  So weird.

• Love 1
(edited)

I post from my iPad, which has the autocorrect on...the Bad Ads seem to cause the forums to pause and hiccup, which sends autocorrect into a frenzy. I've had some doozies, but I usually catch them before I hit the post button. Or else I just lose the post entirely, after spending far too much time trying to get it right, and then I just give up!

(By "doozies", I mean stuff that turns into complete gibberish, and it's awful. The autocorrect and typing feedback all pause, letters get dropped, autocorrect thinks it's totally different words, and it's just nuts.)

Edited by Omegamom
  • Love 2
(edited)

OK, so THIS is why I can't come onto this forum and actually participate and write comments. I have a big evaluation at work today, I'm up for a promotion and NEED to present certain things to my boss during this eval., and yet I've just wasted basically MY ENTIRE DAY writing/reading forum posts. I've got like 30 mins to finish doing the tasks necessary for the presentation now.

But reading and posting are so fun! This is my favorite hobby! Time just seems to fly by!

I don't know how you guys do it. (But I'm glad you do!).

Edited by rue721
  • Love 4

Catrix, that's a sucky spot. But EVERYONE HAS DONE IT. If no one is literally dead or in critical condition, then take a deep breath and think about how you will feel about it in a year

• Love 1

Catrix, that's a sucky spot. But EVERYONE HAS DONE IT. If no one is literally dead or in critical condition, then take a deep breath and think about how you will feel about it in a year

No one is dead. nothing like that but I just really fucked up something that is now going to affect my entire future basically LOLOLOL.  I think if I hadn't been so depressed over my Mom's death. I thought I was handling things better than I was and was healing but I made a poor decision that thinking back ...I don't even know what I was thinking. .I might have done something different if I was in a different frame of mind. And now that I'm getting back to having a better frame of mind, I realize what a colossal fuck it up it was. I'm sorry I don't mean to be so vague.

It's okay, catrox, with the vagueness, and I think I understand anyway - at least enough.

I hope you have someone that you can talk to about this. Maybe he/she can help and/or think of something you might not have.

I have a similar near disaster story* - it took me two years of hard work to dig myself out of that one - but I've been much more careful since though - think things through more... so bright side I guess?

* After thinking about it, I spared the details, because this is not about me, so: zip it, me - heh.

• Love 1

It's okay, catrox, with the vagueness, and I think I understand anyway - at least enough.

I hope you have someone that you can talk to about this. Maybe he/she can help and/or think of something you might not have.

I have a similar near disaster story* - it took me two years of hard work to dig myself out of that one - but I've been much more careful since though - think things through more... so bright side I guess?

* After thinking about it, I spared the details, because this is not about me, so: zip it, me - heh.

I appreciate the kind replies! I won't be annoyed if you share your story!

(edited)

Heh - long story short, I was stupid in my first semester of college - and not even in a remotely fun way! - screwed up my grade point average royally despite working my ass off, because I took too many classes and I (stupidly) didn't know I could've dropped a class until too late - doh! Came sooo close to losing my financial aide, my small grant, my work study job, and that was my main source of money since I was living on my own (in a cockroach infested apartment with 3 roommates) and paying for college (My Dad gave me $1000 to start out with, but as you can imagine, that didn't go far... and it only increased my guilt concerning my collegiate screw up). And being only 18, I almost freaked the hell out. It took me almost two years of really hard work including summer semesters just to get my grades to a B average.

The weird thing: I've been out of college for 25 years, and I still have college nightmares that feel so real - you know that one where you forgot to go to class and now have a test, assignment due, etc.? I'm so relieved when I wake up and remember that it isn't real.

(P.S. nightmares suck - that's pretty much the only kind of dream that I have. Though at least the bloody ones don't feel real. One of my main sleeping goals in fact is to not remember my dreams at all, hence my weird sleeping patterns which facilitate that.)

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • Love 2

I do know those night mares! Ugh that's rough AwesomeO.

My nightmare is missing flights. It's so weird.  I was kind of sad today because I dreamed about my mom and I was gardening with her and she didn't want me to leave..and UGH. 

(edited)

That would be rough, catrox.

And weird about the missing flights dreams. At least you don't have my hubby's plane dreams though. My hubby has repeated plane related dreams, too, but in his, the planes always crash. He isn't on the planes, but they crash in dream his' vicinity.

I hardly ever have dreams about people I know - which with my dreams is probably a good thing, actually. The good news, though, is that I have found a really good system for avoiding my nightmares, so I hardly ever remember them any more (except the college ones - heh). This makes my life much better now even if it means that I'm on a weird schedule compared to the other people around me.

But damn - I wasn't supposed to make this about me... okay stopping now. : )

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • Love 1

I used to dream about plane crashes sporadically.  And then I would dream about falling off cliffs and eventually they turned into flying dream.  My therapist said it was a sign of me getting control of my life after my not-divorce LOL

• Love 1

catrox I agree with SueB and Awesomo's advice so I don't want to be too redundant. But hang in there and don't be too hard on yourself, grief affects everyone and I don't think it's fair to expect anyone dealing with the loss off a parent to 100%, you know? Maybe you could talk a person who's neutral to whatever the current situation is and consider a support group to help with your grief. Good luck and try to keep putting one foot in front of the other until you're out the side.

(edited)

I bought my ticket to the Supernatural convention in Minneapolis and one to the Star Trek 50 year convention. Holy crap did I mess up. When I initially looked at those conventions, I was sure they were two weeks apart. On the bright side, Misha and William Shatner will be blocks apart at their separate conventions. I'm hoping for a Misha/Shatner  crossover. 

I must have transposed the Supernatural date and thought it was 21st instead of the 12th. 

Edited by Commando Cody
  • Love 1

catrox I agree with SueB and Awesomo's advice so I don't want to be too redundant. But hang in there and don't be too hard on yourself, grief affects everyone and I don't think it's fair to expect anyone dealing with the loss off a parent to 100%, you know? Maybe you could talk a person who's neutral to whatever the current situation is and consider a support group to help with your grief. Good luck and try to keep putting one foot in front of the other until you're out the side.

I had some grief counseling not long after she passed and during the process. And  I was making good progress and didn't feel I needed that anymore. But the worst part is that I really did think I was making the best decision at the time.  Alas. Maybe I need a tuneup! Thanks everyone.