Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Impala

• Start Topic

I'll post a quick update. On Thursday, I had surgery to implant a "port": for Chemo, and I start on Tuesday. Plan is for Chemo every three weeks for six rounds, and see how much the tumor shrinks. Bummer is, I will lose my hair (FUCK! I have red hair to my waist!), but Mick knows a young lady he practically raised that owns a salon here in town, and she's going to cut my hair (I'm donating it to Locks For Love) and set me up with scarfs and headbands. I like them better than wigs!

I know a recipient of one of the  Locks For Love wigs (a tween born with several congenital defects).  It makes SUCH a difference for a young girl.  Thank you for this.  And I imagine you'll rock the scarf look beautifully.  

• Love 1

I found a stunning photo of Jensen wearing a suit and holding a rose, the other day, when I was searching images for Unattached Drifter Christmas. I didn't save it. I can't find it today. 

I wonder if it was a manip?

Oh sorry, a manipulated photo. Where someone puts the head or body of a person on the body or head of someone else. 

Like pics of Jensen and Jared making out and so forth.

Thanks for the explanation.

That's slang they should change because I was trying to work out exactly how man nipple worked into that context.

• Love 1

Apropos of nothing....  Go see Deadpool!  Oh holy Chuck, it was so good.  Gross and crass and completely socially unacceptable, but freaking hilariously awesome.

I was going to go today because I was feeling better but then I was talking with my friend on the phone and we were laughing about something and I started coughing so hard I nearly puked. I realized I would just be coughing the entire time, thus ruining the experience for me and everyone else. :(.  Maybe in a couple of days. So looking forward to it.

• Love 1

Thanks guys! Diane, I've seen you post, and never said "Hi!" so I'm saying it now!

catrox, don't ever change. Mick has a little crush on you! He likes the insane...

Hi Micklady, I'm not sure I have either. Sending you good thoughts and hopefully we can all provide you with some smiles.

• Love 1

Prompted by a discussion on another forum, I decided to take a look at the sex ed curriculum in the local public schools.

Guess what I can't find?

Grrr.

Of course, I've had a chance to look over it a few times when the daughter had that module each year, but I've given her (I think) an okay foundation, so never bothered to really investigate.

I did learn that a "reproductive health advisory committee" was put into place because discussions on RH were taking too much time and attention during more general meetings, and that they had to have a mediator brought in because the advisory committee was having too many fights -- !!!

I'll post a quick update. On Thursday, I had surgery to implant a "port": for Chemo, and I start on Tuesday. Plan is for Chemo every three weeks for six rounds, and see how much the tumor shrinks. Bummer is, I will lose my hair (FUCK! I have red hair to my waist!), but Mick knows a young lady he practically raised that owns a salon here in town, and she's going to cut my hair (I'm donating it to Locks For Love) and set me up with scarfs and headbands. I like them better than wigs!

Other than that, I'm doing great, my Oncologist is a math geek, so we get on fine, and my support here is unbelievable! My biggest problem is keeping Mick from shaving his head. He has blond hair past his shoulders, and I love it!

I'm going into this with a good attitude, and expecting the best out come.

Ever see the movie "No Country For Old Men"? In it, one character says to her daughter "I have the cancer!" to get sympathy from her. I've been using it on Mick, and we laugh like crazy!!

Let Mick know how much it means to see his hair.    Your hair will grow back but it might change.  Had one friend that her hair became really curly.  Now she always wanted that, so it was a good thing.  She did say that wigs sometimes hurt, so go with scarfs and whatever makes you feel pretty. 

Hugs and I hope it goes well.  I do know once a doctor told me, we don't remember the pain we experience during surgery or treatments.  I have a vague memory of some of the different surgeries I've had that weren't the best experience, but as time goes by I don't really remember it all.  So although it is really really scary right now, you will come out on the other side. 

Just notice how you're feeling and write it down.  It will help you to focus and most importantly don't make it mean something bad when you have a bad day.  Just relax and realize that today you need to rest.  Tomorrow you'll feel better.  Take it one day at a time.  Write down the questions you have and that will help. 

I  had to wear a PICC line for several weeks as I did Iron transfusions, certainly not as scary as chemo, but I was with the patients that did do chemo.  So to help me, I decided I would use it to research a scary story down the road.  I figured I would then have the knowledge to turn my experience into fanfiction.  Having that plan, helped me calm down and just experience the situation instead of giving into fear. 

Hugs!  Don't know if that will help at all, but I'm the type that needs to know, otherwise my imagination goes overboard.  :)

ETA:  Finally remembered what it was called.  The dangers of a PICC line is you can't do any lifting and such.  So follow the directions of what you can and can't do.  :)

Edited by 7kstar
  • Love 4

Thanks 7kstar! Funny, but my "Oncology Nurse Navigator" (that's really her title!) Jenni to me, gave me a journal  on Tuesday. I've been writing like crazy! It honestly helps. Chemo so far is manageable, but the worst part is the Neulasta. That is one fucking vicious drug! I'd better forget this pain!

But I keep telling myself, "Dean up!" So in our house it's now WWDWD? Hey, it works!

I've gotten the same advice on wigs, so I'm going with scarves. Found a great site, tlcdirect.com, from the American Cancer Society that has some kick ass stuff, very inexpensive!

I'm still watching Supernatural, and following you crazy fans and lovin' every minute of it.

Thanks again, all of you. You will never know how much you have all helped me deal with this. There's just no words that can express it. I wish to Chuck there were, and I could honestly make you understand how much you all mean to me.

Thank you.

• Love 7

Thanks 7kstar! Funny, but my "Oncology Nurse Navigator" (that's really her title!) Jenni to me, gave me a journal  on Tuesday. I've been writing like crazy! It honestly helps. Chemo so far is manageable, but the worst part is the Neulasta. That is one fucking vicious drug! I'd better forget this pain!

But I keep telling myself, "Dean up!" So in our house it's now WWDWD? Hey, it works!

I've gotten the same advice on wigs, so I'm going with scarves. Found a great site, tlcdirect.com, from the American Cancer Society that has some kick ass stuff, very inexpensive!

I'm still watching Supernatural, and following you crazy fans and lovin' every minute of it.

Thanks again, all of you. You will never know how much you have all helped me deal with this. There's just no words that can express it. I wish to Chuck there were, and I could honestly make you understand how much you all mean to me.

Thank you.

Micklady you are a very brave women. I think you should go with some Jared beanies. I think WWDWD is a great way to go and add Kim Manners Kick it in the ass to your mantra. Feel our love and strength.

• Love 4

Micklady you are a very brave women. I think you should go with some Jared beanies. I think WWDWD is a great way to go and add Kim Manners Kick it in the ass to your mantra. Feel our love and strength.

I second all of this! And beanies is a good idea. And if you are going to need them for a little while, I would love to make you some (After next week's overly busy work schedule I should have some time to knit you some.) I have some awesomely soft yarns made of bamboo that should feel nice on your head. Here are some examples of some of my previous hats...

post%20hats.jpg

post%20hats3.jpg

Let me know if you'd be interested... Hats aren't everyone's thing, and maybe not as pretty as scarves. If you'd like some though, just let me know what colors you like and I'll send you some if you want! (I make hats a lot, and since I just resupplied my sister in law a couple of months ago, I don't have any pending hat obligations.)

• Love 6

Ohhh I like the blue on blue.  But they are all so pretty!

Ooooo. Look at the pretty! I like the brown and rust one on the head stand.

Thank you guys! And I liked that one, too, SueB, but surprisingly that one was one of the few that didn't sell that day... I ended up giving it to a friend who liked it. I used to do craft shows sometimes and was often surprised at the hats that would sell versus the ones that didn't.

True story: I knitted this one hat that I was thinking would be really pretty - in theory - it was a peach color and had these knotty things all over it when it was done... but not in the way I expected. I thought it was so ugly, but threw it in there anyway, way in the back. Well it ended up being like the 3rd hat I sold. This nice lady came by, looked over all of the pretty hats I had out front in about 30 seconds, and dug out the peach one. It was the only hat she tired on. She tried it on, looked in the mirror, nodded, and bought it. Hee. After that, I made hats I really liked, but also ones that maybe I thought were just "meh," too, because you never know. And sure enough, almost all of my hats since have found a home eventually, no matter if I thought they were not quite the pretty ones.

We all like what we like - kind of like all of us here. : )

And I'll likely be knitting again over the spring and summer. I'll save them up and post a photo beginning of fall. Anybody who wants one, I'll send you one. Hey, I've got to justify my huge yarn stash in some way - hee. My poor hubby sometimes. "More yarn?" he asks. He just doesn't understand... You can never have enough yarn. (I must have all the pretty yarn). Hee. Thankfully for him, I am awesome at getting yarn bargains, so I get a lot for not very much.

I don't do craft shows any more - too expensive! My sister-in-law sells them at her shop and we split the price 50/50.

• Love 3

I have yarn too. I tried to put it all in bins, but I keep finding it around other parts of my home. 

Yes, yarn has a way of doing that. In my case so do knitting tools. That one size, shape etc. needle or set of needles that I know I have somewhere and need generally ends up being the only one not in the knitting needle bin anymore, and then I have to forensically reconstruct where I last saw it and/or retrace my steps to figure out where it scampered off to.

Awesome, I'm sobbing right now. I'll write later......thank you

Aww, I'm sorry MickLady. I didn't mean to make you cry,

And me making a few hats would be no problem at all. It's something I can do, and I'd be glad to do it.

The junipers in my area have started their month-long orgy. Sigh. That means itching eyes, sneezing fits, general fatigue, and a never-ending quest for allergy meds that actually work...

My hubby goes through the same kind of thing in about mid April through Mayish, Omegamom. We don't know exactly what plant causes it, but for whatever reason, there's a one month period around that time which is bad for him. He must have Claritin on him at all times - and those eyedrops which start with an A which the name escapes me at the moment (I sometimes need those, too) - or he is miserable. And there was one time he forgot his allergy medicine, went out to do field work, and ended up with swelled eyes and messed up breathing (he had to go to the emergency room).

I hope you find an allergy medication that works. Claritin is the one that works for hubby - mostly, though some days it doesn't last the whole 24 hours. Have you tried/considered allergy shots? I think my hubby had one of those that time he had the bad reaction. And I'm pretty sure he had to have some kind of shot the last time he got into poison ivy. He's highly allergic to that and if he gets it bad enough, it goes systemic on him.

I had horrible allergies at the Supernatural convention in Minneapolis last year. I told myself to remember take the allergy pills with me. I left them at home. I had a horrible case on the first day of the convention and ended up walking several blocks to find the Walgreens. They take a while to kick in. I was so miserable. 

No we didn't meet. I think you showed us a picture of your daughter on this board though. She was dressed as Rowena? Very impressive costume. 

I did get a picture of Jared that was passed around a lot on Instagram. I'm not on instagram. They took it off my Twitter feed. Also the guy who played Ash retweeted one of my photos. I thought that was cool. 

Edited by Commando Cody

Allergies suck.  The stress of the job is getting to me right now, so I took Friday off.

Found out you can have being dizzy as symptom of a migraine, it just was a new one for me. 

Oh I hate helicopter parents, especially special needs ones.  I guess they think that teachers don't have a life.

Awesom04000 great idea on the hats, I don't knit, but I do have some stuff I've collected thinking I would get to the project and not get it done. 

Sue B - I've never gone to a convention, but if I had lots of money the excuse to go to Hawaii would be a good one, lol.  I'm afraid I will only see the boys on the internet...which is a good thing because I would get embarrassed asking for an autograph.  :)

Edited by 7kstar

Throughout the year, my sister's Facebook profile picture switches between her picture with Jensen and her picture with Manu Bennett.

I, of course, haven't been to any sort of convention since 1999, right before The Phantom Menace was released.  And that wasn't a convention in the way we know it now.  It was more like a traveling museum.

I am reasonably well read, intelligent, and logical. 

And I can't write to save my life. 

I use ('s all the freakin' time.  I make up words. I write run on sentences that could be mini-novels for television.  I mix my metaphors and commit grammar crimes on an hourly basis.

But I am TEAM Oxford comma.

• Love 4