Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Impala

• Start Topic

Okay guys! Gotta call from little brother last night. He and his son saw the new "Star wars" movie last night in NYC. They LOVED it! (David has an in, he knows the theater management) According to my sister-in-law, they've both reverted to eight year olds! (We have this theory, all men, no matter what age, act twelve or eight, depending on the circumstance) David is such a "Star Wars" freak he has about one hundred figurines STILL IN THE BOX! Now it seems the freakiness has passed to a new generation!

Seriously, David told me it was as good as the first one. I can't wait to see it!!!!

• Love 1

http://deadline.com/2015/12/tv-guest-actors-pay-recurring-regulars-guest-stars-1201669407

Really interesting article on how actors get paid these days.  This might inform some of how Misha, Ruth, and Mark Sheppard are handled in the show...And why Jensen and Jared stick with it like they do. It's mostly about day players and guest stars but it's really interesting overall. IMO

Wow! That was eye opening! Reminds me of an article I recently read about NFL players and the franchise tag.

Thanks catrox! You post some of the most fascinating stuff!

There certainly was a lot crying in Twin Peaks. Crying and smoking. I went twenty five years totally unspoiled about what happened in that show.

After it was over, i watched the Dual Spires episode of Psych again. I had the gist of Twin Peaks so I understood some of the gags the first couple of times I watched the episode. I had no idea how many I was really missing by never seeing the show. 

• Love 1

Hey, y'all.  Merry Christmas to those who celebrate that holiday, and Happy New Year to everyone!  I haven't posted as much as I'd like recently (real life and work got in the way), but you Supernatural posters are always worth reading.  All the best in 2016 to all of us here at P.tv, mods, posters, contributors and creators.

• Love 8

Yes! Merry Christmas for those celebrating. Happy holidays for those just enjoying downtime!

Mass last night (Midnight), a frenzy of presents this am. I'm off to the traditional Christmas nap!

Edited by SueB
  • Love 3

ZtYCC0e.jpg

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate! I just want to thank all my sweeties for being here, and for bringing the insight and thoughtfulness that you do. Also, special thanks to 7kstar, MickLady, SueB and Awesome for pushing me to write fanfiction, which has opened up a world of creativity that I had forgotten.

Much love to you all!

• Love 7

Our "four to eight inches" of snow forecast has morphed into two feet, and it's still snowing. The neighborhood snow plow got stuck, and they haven't been able to get it out. The east part of the state is seeing ten-plus-foot drifts, and is essentially closed down. In the meantime, Vermont and Maine had rain yesterday. In late December. And Texas got tornadoes yesterday. In late December. All from the same storm...

http://i.imgur.com/aY7qr9L.jpg

The house at the bottom of the photo, to the right of the red truck, is my childhood home.  But the good news is that all family and friends are safe and accounted for after the tornadoes outside Dallas last night.  

Meanwhile, those two in the corner are the latest members of the family.  Luke (the sandy-haired one) and Leia.  They're hunting dogs that wouldn't hunt, so they were part of a group of dogs that were given to the local Humane Society today.  We had no intention of adopting (we went to talk about becoming fosters), but we couldn't leave them there.  

ETA  Mark Hamill just liked my tweet about them.  What a crazy day.

Edited by Demented Daisy
  • Love 2

DD, I'm sorry about the loss of your childhood home but grateful everyone is okay.  A tornado is both physically and emotionally devastating.  I hope that everyone who experienced it is getting lots of hugs and love.  

• Love 1

Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday and Happy New Year!

It was unreal about the destruction of the tornadoes, luckily my family was safe and made it home safe.  We made everyone stay at my parents house until we thought it was safe for them to get on the road.  But for the ones that were in the pathway, it was so sad to see.  However, my Dad's dentist office was destroyed, so I'm not sure what that means for them.  My dad took a bad fall and is recovering and my sister is in the hospital, so I'm waiting to see what will happen next.  Several family members live near the tornadoes, but got lucky this time as it missed them.

This part is funny so I'll tell it.  My nephew's girlfriend is a weather girl.  So she tells everyone to get into the hallway, so we can be safe from the tornado.  Well it's sunny outside and just raining.  Mom goes not because she's afraid but to socialize with everyone while they wait it out.  She keeps saying but the apps aren't going off. 

My dad is telling me, it isn't near us but another small town that is at least 30 minutes away.  He had been watching and determined that this one was missing us.  I'm looking at the weather and going, it's fine.  So I keep going back, cracking a joke and then going out to check on the weather outside.  My cousin is laughing at me.  I tell them I'll let them know when to duck.  Honestly, it was a sunny day with light rain.  Finally they determine it is safe to come out of the hallway and we go back to normal.  A few decide they have to leave.  Unfortunately, they lived near the areas where it did hit and so they had to go to cover but luckily they made it out safe again.

Everyone made it back home and then the temperatures dropped so the threat ended. 

But it was surreal to see that many tornadoes in Dec.  For the families that tragedy struck, I hope they have somewhere safe to be and know this will be a long time in recovering.

@Omegamom...glad you decided to start writing again. :)  I've started several stories and somehow I should take my Christmas stuff and turn it into a story....lol.

DD I'm sorry about the loss of your childhood home.  Glad you've got new doggie love.  They'll become special in their own way and some pets you never stop missing but in time the memories bring more joy than sadness.

Edited by 7kstar
  • Love 1

Happy New Year!!!  :)  May you have more blessings than you can count.  May your life be full of joy and fun.  Would it be too much to ask for Sam and Dean to have a few blessings this year too????  ;)

• Love 3

When not to run out of propane: New Year's Day. When it's going to be down in the teens overnight.

And don't trust companies that say they have 24/7 emergency service.

None of the other companies locally are open either.

FFFityF.

It's like a bloody slow-mo disaster scene at the movies, where you are screaming at the screen...

Edited by Omegamom
  • Love 1

Go with the slow drip in each faucet. Keeping any cabinets where the pipes are open can also help.

We had to do that where we are (Georgia) a few times when our old heater system set-up quit. See some genius thought that a heater system that had a small pump to get rid of water created by the system* would work just fine if said pump was drained by a looong tube that ends outside... where it can freeze on the coldest days so that the tube backs up and the pump just keeps running and running (because the water can't be pumped out past the huge frozen plug clogging it up) and with the water back up, the heater shuts down. And so to keep the pump from burning out, we had to turn it off, and so no heat until the tube could defrost and the pump could be turned back on. Hence potentially frozen pipes in the meantime... and so slow drip.

Now we don't have the heater problem - unless the power goes out for a few days - because we had our contractor drain the heater's pump into the main drain in the crawl space. Why the original people setting the system up didn't do that in the first place I have no idea. Though when we got a new heater put in recently (part of a package upgrade with the really old AC unit. It was easier to do both at the same time**), they originally put the tube back outside again! We said "nope, nope, hell nope" to that, and so they put it back to the spot for it in the main drain in the crawl space again for us once we explained why.

* Don't ask me why the heater creates water. It must have something to do with natural gas heating systems.

** The contractor donated our old heater to someone who could use it.

Alas, we will not get any delivered until MONDAY, and the problem is not keeping warm (we have space heaters and blankies)...it's the pipes.

May be too late for you to see this, but open up the cabinets and let the water drip on the inside.  If you can find something to wrap the pipes that may help.  If you can use a space heater to heat up some areas, you may make it.  Trying to think of how they did it before they had all the technology we use today.  Can you buy a few more space heaters to help keep the inside a little warmer???  Not trying to be an idiot, just trying to think outside the box.  Had a leak in my pipes, last year, so I get how much damage water can do.  Hugs :)

• Love 1

Alas, we will not get any delivered until MONDAY, and the problem is not keeping warm (we have space heaters and blankies)...it's the pipes.

That totally sucks!! Didn't you say you used to live in Alaska? Yeah, you got this covered. 

Bright side, you guys have a perfect excuse to get all cozy with each other. It'll be like an adventure! ;)

My daughter got engaged last night.  I've been hoping for this for a long time.  Now... now all I can think of is the little girls with scraped knees and Barbie addiction.

I am NOT going to make it thru the next year without crying a bit every day.  

• Love 6

My daughter got engaged last night.  I've been hoping for this for a long time.  Now... now all I can think of is the little girls with scraped knees and Barbie addiction.

I am NOT going to make it thru the next year without crying a bit every day.  

Oh, I feel you.  Mine brought her boyfriend home for Christmas.  I haven't said it to her yet, but I keep thinking, "Please wait until after college.  Please wait until after college."

Of course, that's what my parents said to me and it didn't work at all.  Maybe I should keep my thoughts to myself.  Shouldn't tempt fate, right?

• Love 1

Congrats to SueB's daughter! *\o/*

And we have propane, from a local company. There were two other neighbors in similar dire circumstances--what're the odds?!--and we all ganged up to find and persuade the local company to get chains and come on up our hill. Yay!

• Love 5

So much rain here in San Diego. I've lived here a long ass time and I've never seen this kind of rain and flooding.  Almost 3 inches of rain in 3 hours yesterday at sea level with crappy drainage....and sudden areal flooding...NO BUENO.  Supposed to have the same tonight :(. 

Oy. It's feast or famine for you guys--first, a couple of years of intense drought, now this. Sorry! And I hope all those steep hillsides stay put, too. A perennial problem in the Bay Area and further north, where they tend to get lots of rain in the winter.

Oy. It's feast or famine for you guys--first, a couple of years of intense drought, now this. Sorry! And I hope all those steep hillsides stay put, too. A perennial problem in the Bay Area and further north, where they tend to get lots of rain in the winter.

We have 4 seasons.  Drought, Fire, Mudslide and Earthquake. 

• Love 1

I seem to be on a roller-coster ride.  I really wish the black cloud would just go away. 

Trying not to write fanfiction, because I think Dean would be killing Sam right now.  I tried to have a rationale conversation with my sister but alas she only wants to play the victim card or how she hasn't gotten support from the family.  I just want to yell grow up, your a grown women, your way past the time for my parents to take care of you.  She is such a selfish brat.

Is the mark catching?  I just want to slash someone???  Take a deep breath...Good thing she doesn't live anywhere near me.  Sorry I shouldn't be writing this...just trying to let off some steam!  Dang...when I regain my sanity...I may delete this post.

• Love 2

Question because I don't have to worry about you telling the secret to the wrong person. lol

My sister is having surgery, I guess if she is telling the truth.  I'm not to tell my mom.  the problem by the time she decides to tell my mom, the plane ticket will be high.  If she knew now, she could possibly get a cheaper flight.

My dad is recovering from a really nasty fall and has a broken jaw.  Not sure if my Mom can fly.  Do I tell or keep my mouth shut?  I hate it when I get put in the middle because if I don't tell my mom will yell at me if she finds out, and if I do, my sister will yell at me.  But at this point I just wish I could disown my sister, but alas I'm afraid that won't be a good long term solution.  :(

Any wise suggestions?????

Edited by 7kstar

I get what you are going through 7kstar.

I have a problematic sister and we just don't speak anymore. I would consider the following:

Is the procedure for a life threatening condition?

Is there anything your mom can do that will help your sister?

Will it be more difficult on your Mom to know or not know? 

1. Make sure this isn't a scam. (Since you say that you don't know if this surgery is real).

2. Buy your mom a plane ticket. (Since it seems like once she finds out about the surgery, she'll demand to fly out to your sister).

3. Pressure your sister into telling your mom, and give her a deadline for it. I would say, "I have to give Mom the plane ticket and sort out her travel arrangements -- you need to tell her about the surgery by [date], so that I can get on that."

Personally, I think that your mom shouldn't take care of your sister all by herself when she's already taking care of her husband all by herself. She's going to need someone to lean on, and that someone is obviously not going to be your sister or father. So I think you should go with her to your sister's, if at all possible.

What's going to happen with your dad while your mom is at your sister's? Is he going to be at home and able to take care of himself by then? Are you going to have to go out to stay with him while your mom is with your sister?

Whatever plane ticket you're going to need to buy for yourself (to get to your sister's house, or to get to your parents'), I think you should just go ahead and get it while you get your mom's. Don't waste time (or money) on denial.

It would be ideal if your sister paid for all this instead of you having to, but if you're worried about her running some kind of surgery scam on you, then I doubt that she can be counted on to do that. So you probably should just accept that you're going to be footing the bill and concentrate on how to do it.

Also, I would try to believe the best about your sister. Since you're going to have to deal with her long-term, it'll be easier on you if you do. I would try to believe that she doesn't want to tell your mom about the surgery because she doesn't want to worry her.

Complex. First off, I think Mom needs to know. Tell your sister that Mom finding out after the fact is going to cause more harm than the good of 'not worrying'. It's a Mom's right to worry. If the surgery is life threatening, this isn't a debate. You have to tell. Even if not life threatening, if it involves general anesthesia then Mom needs to know. The anesthesia is often the riskiest part.

Second, if it's mostly about the timing and airline ticket, you can farelock for 7 days (with United) for $14.99 and work on your sister. Pretend the surgery is in 3 days, get the airfare cost and compare with what it looks like now. Real data on price difference will sway.

Finally, what do you think about where Mom should be? Stay with Dad or go to sister. If sister must have help, is there any alternatives to Mom going. If there's a plan that handles your sister's physical needs without Mom, that makes it easier. If the only viable fiscal and physical solution is 'Mom travels' then she definately needs to know right away. What is your sister's post-op plan? If it works without Mom, then maybe just let it. But tell the sister to come clean to Mom or you will. It's disrespectful to both you and Mom to create the drama.

My mom called to tell me one hour before going in to surgery for a pacemaker. Right after she had just barely recovered from a bad bout of pneumonia. If I had had more time, and hadn't been stunned to speechlessness, I'd have called her docs and argued furiously; she was about 95 pounds and frail and still in the hospital. I made it there in time to be with her for recovery, and to be there when she died from post-op complications.

If this is anything more than surgery to repair bunions, tell Mom.

• Love 1