Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Impala

• Start Topic

OMG I hope he knocked on wood after saying that. Talk about tempting fate.

Hmmm speaking of drama class:  sounds like the perfect opportunity to teach him about that old Greek tragedy standby, hubris!

• Love 1

rue721 nailed it! But it would probably go over his head. Kids these days!

On a lighter note, no Trick or Treaters here either! Our nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away! I hate not seeing the kids! Our town has a party for the kids in the town square. Safer, and more profitable I guess!

Not fair: About to head to Denver, and I suddenly--like, it wasn't there this morning suddenly--have a great big fat hurty zit right by the corner of my mouth. Bah.

Crush an aspirin, make a little paste and put on there. It'll be gone by tomorrow night.

• Love 2

Catrox--It didn't disappear entirely, but it was a lot better this morning! Thanks for the tip!

I think I have a crush on Osric Chau--he's such a cutie!

Gil McKinney can SING!!!

There was a girl at karaoke who did Heart's "Straight On" who was AWESOME!

I am so tired...;-)

For some reason, the forum is not loading on my iPad, so I'm doing this on my phone, which is a PITA.

Miss y'all, but am having a fantastic time.

• Love 1

Aw fuck Daisy! I know how you feel, and I wish I lived close enough to come over and give you a big hug. Nothing hurts like losing a beloved pet, it's a special type of pain. I'm profoundly sorry is happening to you.

• Love 5

The vet just called.  My baby boy Loki, who will be 6 next week, has lymphoma.  I am so heartbroken.  I don't know what to do.

*hugs*  That's rough.  But I imagine you'll show Loki so much love in a short period of time that his little existence will be a good one while he's with you.

• Love 5

Loki has an appointment with the oncologist this morning for a biopsy.  Then we go from there.

One of the many advantages of being married to a military man (or woman)?  They know how to be strong in the face of some terrible situations.  My husband is being strong for both of us because I'm a wreck.

Way back in 2009, my daughter was starting high school and didn't need me much ;-), so I decided it was finally time to get a dog.  The German animal shelters don't like to adopt out to Americans (I don't blame them -- many of the adopted dogs are returned when it's time to move), so I did an internet search for dogs in our area.  And saw this guy and his brothers and sisters:

hvNqqbW.jpg

Without telling my daughter, we went to see the dogs.  The owners brought them out and they were adorable, climbing over each other and playing.  Then I looked down and Loki was sitting between my feet, looking at me, waiting for me to pick him up.  That's all it took.  We were in love.  Two weeks later, we brought him home and he's been a member of the family ever since.

Edited by Demented Daisy
  • Love 4

He's a Bernese Mountain dog/Border Collie mix.

My husband just called.  Loki can't be saved.  It grew too fast; even with chemo, the vet's prognosis is a year at most.  So, when he gets home, we're going to set a date to let him go.  It's one of the hardest things I've done, but we can't watch him change from the happy, active, playful guy we know to....  Well, anyway, thanks for your kind words, everyone.  I probably won't be around much over the next few days/weeks.  I can't fake enthusiasm right now or engage in any sort of discussion.

Again, thanks.

• Love 1

My husband just called.  Loki can't be saved.  It grew too fast; even with chemo, the vet's prognosis is a year at most.  So, when he gets home, we're going to set a date to let him go.  It's one of the hardest things I've done, but we can't watch him change from the happy, active, playful guy we know to....  Well, anyway, thanks for your kind words, everyone.  I probably won't be around much over the next few days/weeks.  I can't fake enthusiasm right now or engage in any sort of discussion.

Again, thanks.

Oh sweetie.  We understand.  This is VERY HARD.  I know you'll do right by him, like undoubtedly you ALWAYS HAVE.  And he knows that. 

• Love 1

Again, thanks.

I am so sorry to hear your news.  Take care of you and Loki and know we are all here for you.

• Love 1

Oh Christ! This sucks, but you are doing the right thing, so hold on and... shit I don't know.

Last time Mick and I had to put down one of our buddies, we took everything out of the living room, buffed the floor, rotated the rug, shampooed it, polished all the furniture, took all the books out of the floor to ceiling bookcases, dusted them and then put it all back together. We drank about 3 full fifths of whiskey during this. After we were done, Mick said "Kitchen next?" We did this for three days, no sleep. Then we just lost it.

• Love 1

He's gone.  It was a very difficult decision to make, but we had to.  The vet agreed, based on the changes in the last 24 hours.  I won't go into it all, but suffice it to say, he wasn't the baby boy I've loved for the last (almost) 6 years.  He was suffering.  The vet believed it had spread to his brain.  He was having some serious neurological problems.

Thank you for all the kind words.  I hope to be able to rejoin you in a few days.

He's gone.  It was a very difficult decision to make, but we had to.  The vet agreed, based on the changes in the last 24 hours.  I won't go into it all, but suffice it to say, he wasn't the baby boy I've loved for the last (almost) 6 years.  He was suffering.  The vet believed it had spread to his brain.  He was having some serious neurological problems.

Thank you for all the kind words.  I hope to be able to rejoin you in a few days.

tumblr_inline_nnj48wQoiZ1rsflig_500.gif

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 5

Not that anyone would miss me or anything....but this computer is acting screwy, and on Monday, a super geek friend of Mick's is taking our main computer to de-bug and clean up. He's done it before and it gets lightning fast when he's done. He's also going to install a virus program he wrote. I'll be here until Sunday night, but if I vanish for awhile that's why.

Our laptop is all football, and don't even mention the phone! I'm lucky I know how to use the damn apps!

catrox, did you catch The Tonight Show tonight? The new incarnation of ELO was on - still with Jeff Lynne - and they played a great song "When I Was A Boy."

I so want to see them in concert now.

In case you haven't heard it yet:

I totally get how hard it was and such a cute dog.  So sorry for your loss.  Take it one day at a time sometimes one minute at a time.  When you need a break, come check us out.  You don't have to write anything, just read to focus on something other than your loss.  I hope my words give you a little bit of comfort. I wish I had the right words, but sometimes they just don't exist.   HUGS.

Slowly coming back.  Finish first production, now it is time for contest.  The performance went really well except for one little oopsie...One girl got a sprain ankle from a falling pylon.  Yes, acting can be dangerous to your health...So I walked up on stage with my cane, tried to sneak back stage, gave up cane to get her out, and several said they never saw me go up.  lol.  The show continued without both of us, and I finally got back as it was all over.  For some reason I've been wiped out?  Go figure.  :)

Since some have asked, I thought I'd give an update here.

Things are slowly getting better.  Loki's birthday was Wednesday -- that was a rough day.  Mostly it's all the little things that you've been doing for years that you don't even realize.  I dropped my phone the other day and expected him to run in the room to investigate the noise.  It's a slow process, creating a new normal, but we're getting there.

My daughter keeps posting pictures and videos of puppies on Facebook.  I'm a lot more tempted to go adopt one than I thought I would be.

• Love 3

I have Netflix now so I decided to check out this Gilmore Girls that you all keep talking about. Didn't know what it was. Now that I've seen it, I'm not sure I can take too much of it.  I laughed when he said his name was Dean. 

Getting over pets is never easy. Some turn out to be more special than others. You don't mean them to be, they just are. Years later I still tear up when I think about a couple of them. 

• Love 1

Since some have asked, I thought I'd give an update here.

Things are slowly getting better.  Loki's birthday was Wednesday -- that was a rough day.  Mostly it's all the little things that you've been doing for years that you don't even realize.  I dropped my phone the other day and expected him to run in the room to investigate the noise.  It's a slow process, creating a new normal, but we're getting there.

My daughter keeps posting pictures and videos of puppies on Facebook.  I'm a lot more tempted to go adopt one than I thought I would be.

When we had to put down our first Golden Honey, I never wanted to get another dog. Mick said to me, "If we don't, Honey will think she did something wrong." That did it for me.

But take your time. You have to grieve.

• Love 1

*mini rant* (No big deal)

A few weeks ago, I got out of bed in the middle of the night to pee, and slammed my toe against a chair next to our bed. My big toe swelled to twice it's size, no shit. It hurt like hell! I didn't do anything about it, every one of my toes has been broken at least twice due to horses stepping on them, so I let it heel and let it go. So guess what? Three days ago I did the exact same fucking thing, to the same toe! This chair has been in the same place for years! I don't know what's wrong with me!! This time, I was going in to have my annual checkup anyway, and showed my doctor my toe. Paul said I have "Turf Toe", just like a football player. He taped the toe to the one next to it, and gave me some pain meds.

My point is, I will never again make fun of a NFLer taking weeks off because of Turf Toe! This sucker hurts like hell!

And yes, we moved the chair. It's just lucky I didn't burn it!

• Love 2

I'm glad that things are getting better. For what it's worth, I think you did the right thing by sparing Loki as much pain as you could.

A friend of mine, his mother loved dogs, but she wouldn't adopt any because she dreaded losing them too much. I always think of her when a pet passes away. Ime, it seems like the only thing worse than losing a pet is the thought of never having had him in your life at all. I guess all that is a roundabout way of saying that I think adopting a dog is a good idea :).

My point is, I will never again make fun of a NFLer taking weeks off because of Turf Toe! This sucker hurts like hell!

OK, Mick's Lady, if we're talking recent ridiculous war wounds...:) [warning:  this is gross]. I'm a supervisor/floor manager in a restaurant, and yesterday I was bartending. The very first cocktail of the night had an orange peel garnish. I used the vegetable peeler to peel some skin off an orange, and peeled off the top half of my pinky nail along with it.

The nail is literally half gone. Fingers crossed that it'll eventually grow back and I won't have only 9.5 fingernails forever. (That can't happen, right?!).

The worst part was that I was the only person in the front of house at the time, so I had to just stick a napkin over it and tuck my pinky into my palm so nobody could see it gushing blood, and keep on working like nothing had happened until a server came on about ten minutes later. (I know that's pretty nasty, but it hurt way too bad to put a rubber glove over it directly -- so I had to wait until I'd had a chance to bandage it up before I could get a rubber glove/finger on).

OH but don't worry, the guest loved his cocktail :P

Edited by rue721
  • Love 3
... every one of my toes has been broken at least twice due to horses stepping on them, so I let it heel and let it go.

Okay, so this is not helping to change my mind about horses... Big animals that can step on you: that's my definition of a horse. No, no, no... a big fat no.

And ouch, Rue, but it should grow back... though it might not be quite the same as it was before. When I was a kid I had a basketball accident - I don't know how but the ball somehow scraped back the skin at the base of one of my fingernails. I had a splint for a while, because it hurt... anyway I didn't lose the nail, but after that it grew with a small ridge in it... I think the basketball damaged where the nail grows from maybe...

But I also lost a nail entirely on my big toe - I dropped an encyclopedia on it, and the nail bruised and fell off later - and it grew back perfectly normally.

I applaud your ability to tough it out and keep working, Rue721. I would've been running for the band-aides. Although your story is definitely a cautionary tale on vegetable peelers. Since I cook with a lot of vegetables I use them all the - I have 4 different peelers of 3 different types that I use on a regular basis - and I'm always careful. I've gotten more cautious as I've gotten older.

• Love 2

Ooh, freaky injury time!

When I was a kid, I was in gymnastics for a few years.  I never competed, I just did it for fun.  Well, one day, I was doing my dismount off the balance beam and didn't spot myself properly.  I got completely lost in the air and landed on my knees.  It didn't hurt too badly until I rolled over and saw that my kneecap was on the outside of my knee, not the front.  Since I was about 12 at the time, I freaked out.  But the teacher came over, popped it back, got me an ice bag, and told me it happens all the time.

That was the last day of gymnastics for me.  :-D

• Love 6

Okay, folks, now that you've given me the shaky shivery ew-ickies for the day...

Daisy, i couldn't think of another dog after we had to put our Aussie, Kai, down. But a year passed, and I finally could think about it, and we got ourselves a little Husky puppy who was tan and black, instead of black and white. Turns out he was a Husky/Greyhound/whathaveyou mix, and he is the sweetest, most loving dog. Looks like he's on stilts. Anyway, take your time. You'll feel it when the time is right.

• Love 2

Okay, my freakish injury stories

Remember back in the day when people would line gardens with bricks that were turned to make a triangle shape with the pointy edge up. Well, I was running home for dinner from my friends house. There was a small driveway next to the garden lined with those bricks. I tried to run between the car in the driveway and the garden because the sprinkler was running on the other side of the car. Welp. I tripped on one of the bricks and went straight down on my knee and the pointy side of the brick went right through my kneecap, blood everywhere.  Had to have stiches. To this day my kneecap feels weird.

Second story- Not really freak injury but I don't wish this on my worst enemy.  I was mountain biking with the ex and his friend. I was on a bike that was really too tall for me with a crossbar. Anyway I was trying to navigate a steep ravine, like I dunno 30 to 40 degrees up and down? I had no business doing it. Anyway, I flew down the hill and back up the other side and was almost to the top of the other side when I hit a rock so hard it jarred me off the seat and my crotch and pelvic bone hit the crossbar and then I fell over. I thought I would pass out from the pain. But because I was being Ms Competitive for No Good Reason with the guys I kept riding for like another hour before it was just too painful to continue. Anyway, I'm putting the rest under spoiler bar because NOPE

When I got home...well.....no lady parts should ever look mine did unless it was childbirth and as far as I know childbirth lets the body adapt and what not.  I literally had to ice it because it was so swollen and bruised. I couldn't walk for like two days. :(.

• Love 1

Good Lord! By the time I finished  rue's post, I was curling my fingers under!  But it will grow back, I promise! But I agree with Awesom, you have guts!

But I also lost a nail entirely on my big toe - I dropped an encyclopedia on it, and the nail bruised and fell off later - and it grew back perfectly normally.

Sorry Awesom, but I'm still laughing at this line! Can't wait to read this to Mick!

Daisy, I've done the same thing! It hurt like hell.!

catrox, I...I have no words!

I wonder what SueB looks like now! Curled fingers and toes, holding on to her...Well just picture it!