Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Impala

• Start Topic

17 minutes ago, Demented Daisy said:

I'm giving up Supernatural for Lent.  ;-)

REALLY?  

I'm impressed.  I'll give up red wine or chocolate before I'd give up SPN.  Unless, of course, you're joking... 

But if you are not, see ya on the flip side.  

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 8:37 PM, 7kstar said:

Thanks guys for the laughs.  I'm clueless right now!  So the drama keeps happening you know in the drama after school rehearsals.  This time it's horseplay and I'll be blamed for not supervising students when it happened, just wait for it.  Of course one of the kids that got hurt is the one from the last time with the parent from Hell.  sigh

My advice - what ever you do DON'T become a TEACHER...RUN the other way and do not pass Go!

It must be true, if you Say "Macbeth" in the auditorium bad things do happen....CAN someone BREAK this CURSE please, pretty please.

Why do you think I'm stressed out?????

I've always heard from my theater friends that Macbeth was the unlucky play. I don't have a single friend that has done this play without "unintended consequences" So I guess it's true?

7kstar, if you can, take a year off and write. I taught for 28 years (Grad School), and it really wore me out. I cannot, under any circumstances, imagine teaching middle school! You're a blessing to those kids! You sure as hell have a ton of respect from me, and as Mick would say, "I ain't hardly joking"

2 hours ago, rue721 said:

Any of you guys ever used a meal service? My friend gave me a free week of Blue Apron and tonight was my first meal. Hm. It's interesting.

Let us know how it worked out. I thought of trying one, but we love to cook, and being retired, have the time to shop and prepare.

• Love 1

Speaking of acting... with the Academy Awards tonight, I wanted to offer up some thoughts on Viola Davis' performance in Fences.

Spoilers for Fences:

Spoiler

Her performance ripped my feelings RIGHT OUT OF MY SOUL.  Her character eeked out her identity after a personal loss so staggering (the betrayal of her husband) that I could feel what it was like to be gut shot by the words of another.  When her larger-than-life husband, who was the center of her life, decided she was 'not enough' and still saw the other woman, I just could barely breath -- the pain was so real.  And then when she made her decision to raise the little girl and reject the man -- I was so VERY proud of her.  Yes, he still lived there but he had lost her.  Because he was never repentant about his selfishness.  He decided his needs were more important than hers.  And I could never forgive Denzel's character after that choice.  The original mistake, I could forgive, and so could have the wife.  But it was his decision during those 5-6 months when she was suffering so greatly, that he never begged forgiveness for.  Too proud. And through it all, Viola's character showed a strength that was inspirational. 

So... 7kstar... you keep up that acting class.  Because if you have a nascent Viola Davis in there, who is going to bring me to my virtual knees.... well, it's worth your time.   

Edited by SueB
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, catrox14 said:

I did Blue Apron once and it was....not good.

This wasn't bad...I mean, it was kind of bad, but just because it was cod and I don't really like cod. The rice was good? The salad was pretty interesting and weird. Lots of vegetables and sauces that I would never think to put together in a salad.

I LOVED that they just delivered the whole box right there at the door and there was no thinking or decision making or even going to the store involved. And it's cool that I really would never have cooked that otherwise. I cook pretty much every day, but always the same old same old. So this was obviously a lot more work than usual because it was a new recipe and not the same stuff I've made a million times, but it's also fun to do something different for once...

Eh, I'll see how the week goes. This was the "bad meal" but I had to eat it first because it was fish. Also I'm weird and always buy way too much food so even though this is kind of expensive, it's still probably cheaper and more sensible in the long run than my usual grocery buying. Like, I currently have a YEAR'S worth of breakfasts stashed in my desk at work. A box of 50+ oatmeal packets. I could whip up a dinner within 3 minutes just out of the food I have in that desk. Not talking some kind of hodgepodge either. I'm talking about, I could whip up mac & cheese with peas and tuna, and beet salad on the side. If I'm feeling like a health nut, I have a quinoa and artichoke salad meal and coconut juice in there, too. Also condiments, and soups, and canned mandarin oranges....Food just always seems to accumulate. There's even stuff that has somehow migrated from the break room to my top drawer and is now crowding out my office supplies. There's no reason that I should be able to feed a family of four for a month out of my desk. You can imagine my pantry. Or my car. The other day I even found a couple cookies randomly in my jacket. I think they ended up there because people were giving out free samples, and I'm not actually a big eater, but I "saved them for later" like a chipmunk and then forgot to actually eat them. So anyway, I really like the idea of just being delivered X amount of food for Y amount of meals and then moving on instead of building up this endless cache of food ;)

38 minutes ago, Mick Lady said:

I thought of trying one, but we love to cook, and being retired, have the time to shop and prepare.

If you want me to ask around to see if I can get you a coupon for a free week, just let me know. Seems like everyone and their brother was giving out those coupons for a minute. I think everyone at work has at least tried out Blue Apron now, and my ex was doing it and trying to push coupons off on people too!

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, SueB said:

Speaking of acting... with the Academy Awards tonight, I wanted to offer up some thoughts on Viola Davis' performance in Fences.

Spoilers for Fences:

Hide contents

Her performance ripped my feelings RIGHT OUT OF MY SOUL.  Her character eeked out her identity after a personal loss so staggering (the betrayal of her husband) that I could feel what it was like to be gut shot by the words of another.  When her larger-than-life husband, who was the center of her life, decided she was 'not enough' and still saw the other woman, I just could barely breath -- the pain was so real.  And then when she made her decision to raise the little girl and reject the man -- I was so VERY proud of her.  Yes, he still lived there but he had lost her.  Because he was never repentant about his selfishness.  He decided his needs were more important than hers.  And I could never forgive Denzel's character after that choice.  The original mistake, I could forgive, and so could have the wife.  But it was his decision during those 5-6 months when she was suffering so greatly, that he never begged forgiveness for.  Too proud. And through it all, Viola's character showed a strength that was inspirational. 

So... 7kstar... you keep up that acting class.  Because if you have a nascent Viola Davis in there, who is going to bring me to my virtual knees.... well, it's worth your time.   

I'm rooting for "Hidden Figures" When I was at M.I.T., I had a poster of Katherine Johnson on my wall. I'm a geek like that...

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, rue721 said:

If you want me to ask around to see if I can get you a coupon for a free week, just let me know. Seems like everyone and their brother was giving out those coupons for a minute. I think everyone at work has at least tried out Blue Apron now, and my ex was doing it and trying to push coupons off on people too!

Oh, I'd love that! Always like to try something new! Thank you!

Edited by Mick Lady
to thank Rue, cuz I'm rude sometimes.
Just now, Mick Lady said:

Oh, I'd love that! Always like to try something new!

Kk, I'll ask around tomorrow. Not sure if anyone has any at the moment, but usually someone does. I think my bff and her bf have been doing BA for a long time, too, so they probably have a backlog of coupons too, now that I think about it.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

Now Rob Benedict and his brother are doing a Thursday bus tour in Minneapolis before the convention. This one is 329 dollars - but it includes lunch. 

http://www.creationent.com/cal/supernatural_minn.htm#bustour

It is a six hour tour. I'm starting to think it may not be a bad deal. 

Did anyone else start singing Gilligan's Island?  Just me then... 'a three six hour tour... a six hour tour....'

• Love 4
On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 8:37 PM, 7kstar said:

Thanks guys for the laughs.  I'm clueless right now!  So the drama keeps happening you know in the drama after school rehearsals.  This time it's horseplay and I'll be blamed for not supervising students when it happened, just wait for it.  Of course one of the kids that got hurt is the one from the last time with the parent from Hell.  sigh

My advice - what ever you do DON'T become a TEACHER...RUN the other way and do not pass Go!

It must be true, if you Say "Macbeth" in the auditorium bad things do happen....CAN someone BREAK this CURSE please, pretty please.

Why do you think I'm stressed out?????

Hey 7kstar, how did it go? How are you holding up?

I feel so guilty now for not checking in more when I had cancer. I truly worry about you guys!

While I'm at it, where the hell is Omegamom? Anyone know?

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Mick Lady said:

I feel so guilty now for not checking in more when I had cancer. I truly worry about you guys!

Shit.  I don't know. With the influx of so many... thanks for catching that... I'll poke around...

ETA:  Stalking mission complete.  I've reached out via DM on Twitter.  Last social media presence (elsewhere) was 23 days ago.  She may be on a social media break.... 

Edited by SueB
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Mick Lady said:

One Act is over.  We didn't place but three students got individual awards.  My principal has agreed to take the reprimand out of my HR file and leave it just at the campus.  This is what I wanted, so that part is better.  The kid that caused the issue in both situations has been removed from my class.

Now I just have to get my energy back which is kind of missing.  Now I just have to get ready for my New York Trip.  The only thing I'm concerned about is how cold will it get and how much pain will I be in from doing a lot of walking.  But determined not to let it stop me.  Looking forward to spring break...I need some time away from the students!

Omegamom we miss ya and hope you'll come back soon.  :)

• Love 3

Meal 2 of Blue Apron tonight. So far, 100% of my meals require extra mayonnaise. So much extra mayonnaise. Isn't that weird?

But it's still pretty neat to have a "meal kit" sitting in the fridge, so...It makes cooking dinner feel like a crafting project.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, 7kstar said:

One Act is over.  We didn't place but three students got individual awards.  My principal has agreed to take the reprimand out of my HR file and leave it just at the campus.  This is what I wanted, so that part is better.  The kid that caused the issue in both situations has been removed from my class.

Now I just have to get my energy back which is kind of missing.  Now I just have to get ready for my New York Trip.  The only thing I'm concerned about is how cold will it get and how much pain will I be in from doing a lot of walking.  But determined not to let it stop me.  Looking forward to spring break...I need some time away from the students!

Omegamom we miss ya and hope you'll come back soon.  :)

Good going 7katar! You'll love your trip to NYC! It will energize you, I promise!

1 minute ago, catrox14 said:

It's getting there. 100% better than it was but not 100% yet.  Thank you for asking!

Aw, I think about you often catrox! You remind me of what we used to call "The last of the big-shouldered broads", and trust me, hat is an extreme compliment! Very few deserve it!

9 minutes ago, Mick Lady said:

Aw, I think about you often catrox! You remind me of what we used to call "The last of the big-shouldered broads", and trust me, hat is an extreme compliment! Very few deserve it!

Awww...thanks...I think. LOL

• Love 1
(edited)

I know I should be watching it, but apparently I am a sucker for NBC,  because Chicago Fire sucked me right in, and since it was a 3 (tonight) episode crossover thing, that's pretty much my whole television night.

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • Love 1

For those that fly a lot.  Can you carry vitamins in the pill carry box or do you have to have them in their original bottle?  Trying to figure out how to condense for the trip.

1 minute ago, 7kstar said:

For those that fly a lot.  Can you carry vitamins in the pill carry box or do you have to have them in their original bottle?  Trying to figure out how to condense for the trip.

I put vitamins and medications in my pill carry box. never an issue.

• Love 1

Hey y'all -- I just wanted to say thank you for being such a nice community. Work has been pretty overwhelming lately, it's been making me really anxious, and I am also still adjusting to working all alone in my own office (SO LONELY) so I have probably been bugging everyone here in my constant need to burn off nervous energy and to shoot the shit while I'm stuck at the computer. My point is, I appreciate you guys being so cool :) And my coworkers probably appreciate it, too, because the more I bug you, the less I INCESSANTLY bug them. ;) So yeah. Apologies for being too in your face. Will probably back off after tax season...though I can't promise that I will be able to before then. ;)

• Love 4

Guys, I just had a very trippy experience. I found an old sketch notebook I used quite a bit when I was an architecture student almost 25 years ago. It was so weird to see some of my notes and early sketches of some projects. And, even though I don't remember doing it at all, I did a few "journal" entries of the time I spent working in Yellowstone one summer. It doesn't sound at all like me, but yet I clearly remember those days I wrote about. So trippy! ;)

BTW @rue721, I haven't found you bothersome, so I wouldn't worry about it, if I was you. 

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

BTW @rue721, I haven't found you bothersome, so I wouldn't worry about it, if I was you.

Ah OK -- I am finding myself to be a PITA so I can't tell. Such a bundle of nerves! Will try to (possibly continue) to not be grating.

41 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

I actually need the distraction, because the end of the current episode makes me want to punch something.

Dude, that's his mom. She was practically created to make a fool out of him. I just can't blame him either way it goes ;) To be fair, I'm a big softie though

20 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

Guys, I just had a very trippy experience. I found an old sketch notebook I used quite a bit when I was an architecture student almost 25 years ago. It was so weird to see some of my notes and early sketches of some projects. And, even though I don't remember doing it at all, I did a few "journal" entries of the time I spent working in Yellowstone one summer. It doesn't sound at all like me, but yet I clearly remember those days I wrote about. So trippy! ;)

Life is weird man. Life is weird. Did you at least like the person in the journal entries?

• Love 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, catrox14 said:

My Top 10

SPN
BSG
Angel
BB
The Wire
Arrow(s1 through s3.15. It's testing me sorely right now)
Sleepy Hollow (s1 and part of s2.  Fuck that show now LOL)
LOST
XFiles

Friends (shut up)

The shows I've put in bold are ones I've also watched! I'm curious to try out Sleepy Hollow and Arrow now. I've tried BSG, but unfortunately I couldn't get into it. 

11 hours ago, Mick Lady said:

We have similar tastes! You and Mick however, would get on like a house on fire!!

I love Bate's Motel, he can take it or leave it. I'd hate to be in the same room while you two discuss Sleepy Hollow!

I need to try Bates motel.

My top three shows of all time are

Buffy 

Charmed

Supernatural (Kripke era) 

Edited by Wayward Son
5 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

I wasn't really sure where to move this to so sorry if this is the wrong place.

This thread is really for all off-topic talk that has nothing to do with the show. There's a thread for comparing Supernatural to other shows here: 

Just now, DittyDotDot said:

This thread is really for all off-topic talk that has nothing to do with the show. There's a thread for comparing Supernatural to other shows here: 

Ah perfect! Thank you Dot! I'll edit my post and move it there :) 

On 3/2/2017 at 9:15 PM, DittyDotDot said:

BTW @rue721, I haven't found you bothersome, so I wouldn't worry about it,..

I lost a book that I had gathered ex friends impressions of me or something they wanted me to know.  Sometimes it was fun to look at it even though we had gone our separate ways years ago.  So yes I can imagine it's trippy and yet cool at the same time.

@Rue721 I haven't had any issues and can totally get needing a place to express yourself.  Sometimes this is the safe place because you don't know my real name and I don't have to really worry about the people in my life reading my thoughts.  Although some laugh at me regularly.

I just bought an mini ipad.  My friend thought I was insane.  I should have gotten an iphone.  But the ipad is for trip and is larger than a phone.    Now I'm trying to pack for New York, the crazy part, bringing layers so hopefully I'll stay warm and yet not burn up.  Just have to survive the students 4 more days!!!!  I can do this.  :)

• Love 3

Good luck @7kstar.

Favorite television shows. Wow, that's a tough one to limit to 10 for me, especially over time. And it's tough because ones I used to love, might not hold up to the test of time necessarily, but at the time, they were must see. I'll see what I can do, but I suspect that I'll be forgetting and/or leaving some important ones off... I might have to cheat and make a top 20. This is also my non-comedy, non-reality show list, because for me comedies and reality shows are a bit different. I have quite a few I love, but they aren't the kind of shows that I have in depth discussions about. I'd have a separate list for them.

No particular order except maybe the top 3 are the top 3:

• Supernatural
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Angel
  • Hill Street Blues
  • St. Elsewhere
  • Homicide: Life on the Streets
  • Quantum Leap
  • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
  • Crossing Jordan
  • Firefly
  • Stargate: SG1
  • Beauty and the Beast (no snickering)
  • China Beach
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation
  • E. R.
  • Mystery Science Theater 3000 (not a typical comedy, so I made an exception)
  • This Is Us (So far I'm loving this show, we'll see if it has staying power)
  • X-Men (shut up, it was awesome)
  • X-Files
  • Law & Order
  • Love 2

I missed seeing many of my favorites the first time around. It wasn't until I started to binge watch that I discovered them, and now I crave them every once in a while.

• The Wire - my first binge, so many tears
  • Supernatural
  • Fringe
  • Battlestar Galactica (Have you seen the Portlandia episode where the couple binge watch it and can't stand to reach the end? They find a Ronald Moore in Portland and talk him into writing more episodes. They even get Edward James Olmos and James Callis to come to their house for a reading.)
  • Deep Space Nine
  • Six Feet Under
  • Gilmore Girls (except I can do without the last couple seasons)
  • CSI (the original Las Vegas version, I love the characters)
  • The Sopranos
  • Justified (Elmore Leonard and US Marshall Raylan Givens, oh boy!)
  • Love 2

Hmm favorite TV shows...will have to think on that.  I have had several that I got obsessed with

Numb3rs, Star Trek Voyager, Magnificent Seven, The Sentinel, Simon and Simon and even a stupid show called the Hercules: The Legendary Journeys  Because I loved Michael Hurst, his characters   drew me in.

Can I say...I HATE PACKING!...I'm sure once I figure out what to take it will be fine, but trying to decide sucks. At least today is still Tuesday.  I feel like the Rabbit in Alice in Wonderland, I'm late I'm late....

As far as TV shows go, I can only go with what I watch repeatedly. 

Supernatural. 

Mystery Science Theater 3000 - the classic episodes. I am not at all enthused about the reboot.

Hogan's Heroes

Psych

Lucifer

Doctor Who

Blackadder 

Leverage

Maverick

The Kids in the Hall

(edited)
36 minutes ago, 7kstar said:

and even a stupid show called the Hercules: The Legendary Journeys  Because I loved Michael Hurst, his characters   drew me in.

Oh, that was an enjoyable one, and Iolaus was great. I liked Xena: Warrior Princess, too, but weirdly my favorite character on that one was Joxer(: The Mighty). And Ares was a bit of alright for a different reason. (And Karl Urban who played characters in both series - interestingly he played Cupid* and Julius Caesar, who of course were nothing alike.)

* And his Cupid was nothing like SPN's version ; ).

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • Love 1
(edited)

I like much goofier shows than you guys, I think. Some that I don't think anybody else has mentioned:

• Smallville
  • Rectify (!!!)
  • Nip/Tuck
  • Gossip Girl
  • Angel
  • Prison Break
  • The Americans

I love Bates Motel, but I haven't been able to watch since

Spoiler

Norma died. Just too sad that she went out like that. That poor doomed woman.

43 minutes ago, 7kstar said:

Can I say...I HATE PACKING!...I'm sure once I figure out what to take it will be fine, but trying to decide sucks. At least today is still Tuesday.  I feel like the Rabbit in Alice in Wonderland, I'm late I'm late....

Regardless of anything else, please pack as little work as possible! I always lug around tons and tons, big textbooks and things, like I'm going to get anything at all done while on a trip -- and it ALWAYS just sits there untouched the whole time, doing nothing but weighing down my bag ;)

ETA:  wait, I do think Angel has been mentioned. Oops, sorry. I'm leaving it, though, because it's so good and I loved it so much. ;)

Edited by rue721
4 minutes ago, rue721 said:

I like much goofier shows than you guys, I think.

Did you not see the "Mystery Science Theater" on my list? Hee. Also I have a whole nother list of favorite shows from the comedy genre that would include such silliness as Perfect Strangers,* so your list isn't that goofy at all.

* My husband and I still regularly use "I have... *dramatic pause*... a plan," and it's never not funny.

1 minute ago, Mick Lady said:

Oh watch it rue! Norma's not really gone!

This season rocks!!

Agreed!