Type keyword(s) to search

"The Daily Show": Week of 2/23/15

2/23: Christine Lagarde (Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund)
2/24: Lynsey Addario (author – promoting book “It's What I Do: A Photographer's Life of Love and War”)
2/25: Conan O’Brien (promoting Cuba show)
2/26: Olivia Wilde (actress – promoting movie “The Lazarus Effect”)

No way, no way, no way!!! I haven't seen Conan on TDS since the WGA writer's strike shenanigans!!! Oh, if TCR was continuing in 2015 I would've loved a reprise to the "Who Made Mike Huckabee?" brawl. His Cuba show episodes sound promising!!

Also on my excitement list: Olivia Wilde. Not just because she's a multi-faceted actress or the movie she's in, it's that she got to work with Donald Glover.

Sidenote: I hope the long break ends soon! I need more doses of Jonny-bun before he goes bye-bye!! 

I'd rather have an adult like Obama deal with ISIS than the bratty, snot nosed babies on the right who make whinny poopies in their diapers because the president won't behave the way they want him to (not that it makes a difference, seeing as they'll criticize him for whatever, no matter what). And Rudy Giuliani, go fuck yourself up your ass with your comments, you horrible turd you.

• Love 10

Whenever the IMF woman is on the news, she's always styling. 

The myopia around ISIS was brought up on Real Time too. I think that religion has caused a lot more problems than it's solved, and their motivations are islam-based. But you have to take it out of the equation. I'm no great policy mind, but force of arms by the West isn't going to beat them; it's going to be information and guile. It seems obvious *not* to call ISIS islamic terrorists, and there is not much in the Obama segment that seems overly complicated about that. 

The French president is wrong. And I understand his pov from the Charlie murders, but he, if anyone, needs to be in line with this. 

All these calls for basically bullying ISIS into submission is exactly what they want. Not for anything, they could have ripped and dubbed the Fox News comments on this piece as their own recruitment video. Trump's tough guy solution is exactly what they want, and will assure ISIS recruits for another generation. 

The only way conventional military is going to beat them is if all the middle east countries invade and conquer the ISIS territory. No one else. And Sunni governments aren't going to send in troops to wage war on other Sunnis. 

These idiots are playing right into their hands. 

• Love 1

Apparently last week, WWE heel Seth Rollins, in an attempt to troll the audience - as is his job, said he could do anything he wanted and be successful, like run for president, or take over TDS from Jon:

And Jon has "fired back":

So now it looks like WWE is going to play up this angle by having Rollins appear on TDS sometime this week. What's more, they're scheduling a live event at Madison Square Garden this Friday.

This looks...ummmm...interesting?!!

• Love 3

Apparently last week, WWE heel Seth Rollins, in an attempt to troll the audience - as is his job, said he could do anything he wanted and be successful, like run for president, or take over TDS from Jon:

And Jon has "fired back":

So now it looks like WWE is going to play up this angle by having Rollins appear on TDS sometime this week. What's more, they're scheduling a live event at Madison Square Garden this Friday.

This looks...ummmm...interesting?!!

If you people need me, I'm gonna die from this "awesomeness"~ 

'Kinda reminds me of that one time the WWE's Zeb (or whatever his name is) said a mouthful about Ollie-Scone taking over for Jonny-bun while the latter was filming "Rosewater". The only difference is Rollins (the challenger) is actually gonna settle this with Jonny-bun. I'm no WWE fan, but this just got EPIC. After the whole announcement, having fun with the speculation (while non-seriously calling out Stewart) of the next "heir apparent" and bringing WWE into the franchise makes the feeling of losing Jonny-bun less depressing. Idea: maybe if there are any contenders, maybe they should do a Battle Royale for the chair, just like that one time in 2010 except using correspondents? 

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/fhcngw/who-wants-it-more----endangered-republicans

• Love 1

Who would have thought that there was a Venn diagram of these demographics that actually intersected?

Jon and his son are huge fans of WWE. It makes sense. Plus he's had Mick Foley on the show a few times.

• Love 2

If Seth Rollins is on this week, will we see Mick Foley on, the same time, as well?

Well Bill O'Reilly, if you think Mother Jones' articles about your so-called war record are lies, then sue them. I'm sure the truth will come out for someone in court. And I'm guessing it's not you!

• Love 1

All I have to say is that I'm proud of Mother Jones and I've had a subscription for years.  But if they are going to call out Bill O'Murphy they better be God-damned right because if they aren't he'll be more insufferable than he's ever been before.  And I, for one, won't be able to take it.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 1
Well Bill O'Reilly, if you think Mother Jones' articles about your so-called war record are lies, then sue them.

As JS pointed out, it's irrelevant. He just says, 'these are liberal media, ipso facto, their wrong.' And the viewers aren't really tuning in for facts. They're tuning in for a pov. 

As they showed, there's plenty of stories that do require this level of scrutiny that aren't being covered. 

But if they are going to call out Bill O'Murphy ...

O'Murphy?

I enjoyed the interview with the photojournalist. For being a picture person, she has a great way with words. :)

Joe Biden. I don't know, but I just can't get mad at him.

• Love 2

Joe Biden. I don't know, but I just can't get mad at him.

God, me too. I just can't imagine any of that grabbiness comes from a place other than love with him. Anybody else? Would get a sharply shoved elbow. But Joey?  C'mere, give me some sugar.

I'd like to think I'm coming from a 'context is everything' place, but that might be a lie I tell myself.

• Love 4

I think the thing with Biden is that he's hugging and doing everything in just plain sight with the spouse right there. It's not like he's sneaking around. There's never been accusations of extramarital affairs either, right?

I think the thing with Biden is that he's hugging and doing everything in just plain sight with the spouse right there. It's not like he's sneaking around. There's never been accusations of extramarital affairs either, right?

If you google something like "Biden too close" and look at the images, there are a ton of images of Biden getting weirdly touchy feeley close to people. Men and women. I think that's just his thing.

Bill O'Murphy.  O'Reilly?  I can never get his name right.  It's not a political statement.  It's just that I am old and feeble.

Hey, me too! But I just wondered if calling him O'Murphy was a joke or reference I wasn't getting.

If you google something like "Biden too close" and look at the images, there are a ton of images of Biden getting weirdly touchy feeley close to people. Men and women. I think that's just his thing.

God, I love Google auto-complete sometimes.

Edited by dusang

What Jon was saying about placating the right-wing, who invariably will still act like assholes even when they get their way, is one of the things that I'll miss and yet not miss.  What I won't miss is that Jon's preaching to the choir, at least as I see it.  We know that giving the Right what they want won't change minds because their minds are locked in a certain ideological way.  Yet, at the same time, such things need to be called out.  There needs to be children who boldly and plainly say that the emperor has no clothes on.  I just hope the next host will have that "thing" that Jon has.

As for Conan visiting Cuba, I really don't know what to think.  It might have been a bit foolish for the president to send him, considering that Cuba is extremely wary of us, though not of our television programs.

Good grief, Jon and Conan look like they might have sprung from different species.  (No disrespect.)

This has been a great week for TDS.  The IMF woman and the photographer were both fascinating.  Jon giving a solid smackdown to the conservative media tonight might have been preaching to the choir, but I'm the only little choir member in my area and it balms my frustrated soul.

The Biden thing was funny.  And it was extra interesting right after I watched CNN's special report on Cosby.  The outwardly avuncular good guy turned out to be just the opposite and I think in spite of his inappropriate handsy routine, Biden is probably the opposite of "perv." 

Ya never know, though!

Edited by candall

What? The president sent Conan to Cuba?

I thought that's what they said.

Jon giving a solid smackdown to the conservative media tonight might have been preaching to the choir, but I'm the only little choir member in my area and it balms my frustrated soul.

Oh, no doubt does it feels good to take hypocritical conservatives to task.  I guess it depends on the region.  And a sizeable region of this country seems conservative.  So hang in there, candall, and know that you're not a lone voice.

Epic, epic smackdown of the whinny right's modus operandi by Jon on tonight's show. And of course Jon is preaching to the choir, but at least the choir knows the difference between what is true and what is bullshit, which the right seems to make a ginormous mountain out of. As Jack Nicholson once pointed out in A Few Good Men, they can't handle the truth. So they create their little world where they tell their Kool-Aid drinkers what they want to hear, like "Jon Stewart is a stupid, lying liberal!", which is what they'll be crying about tomorrow.

Conan O'Brien does have a beef with us Canadians seeing as his show is being moved all over to different channels and time slots. It used to be after TCR on Comedy Network. Now it's on MuchMusic at 12:30AM following @Midnight. But blame that on BellMedia, aka Evil Empire 1 (Rogers being evil Empire 2).

Conan's visit to Cuba does seem interesting, and quite the hassle from the sounds of it. I've had friends who've visited Cuba and have stayed at their all inclusive resorts because they're a huge bargain and quite the value. They've tried to convince me to go, but I've refused because A) I don't feel the need to visit places with hot, sweaty climates, and B) I'm not interested in visiting areas of the world that continue to oppress their citizens.

• Love 1

Epic, epic smackdown of the whinny right's modus operandi by Jon on tonight's show. And of course Jon is preaching to the choir, but at least the choir knows the difference between what is true and what is bullshit, which the right seems to make a ginormous mountain out of. As Jack Nicholson once pointed out in A Few Good Men, they can't handle the truth. So they create their little world where they tell their Kool-Aid drinkers what they want to hear, like "Jon Stewart is a stupid, lying liberal!", which is what they'll be crying about tomorrow.

Conan's visit to Cuba does seem interesting, and quite the hassle from the sounds of it. I've had friends who've visited Cuba and have stayed at their all inclusive resorts because they're a huge bargain and quite the value. They've tried to convince me to go, but I've refused because A) I don't feel the need to visit places with hot, sweaty climates, and B) I'm not interested in visiting areas of the world that continue to oppress their citizens.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised FOX News will be crying, "Wolf!" tomorrow. Easily predictable, unless their ideology is suddenly switched (which I doubt will change).

I agree with you about visiting a citizen-oppressed country downs the satisfaction of vacationing there, Victor the Crab; however, I guess visiting Vegas is also off your list of "Places to go for vacation"(Cuba ain't got nothing on Vegas during the summer!), unless you'd prefer to go to places around not-so-sweaty seasons. Okay, maybe not spring break cuz of all the pool party college mess madness I've observed lately.

And if I may point out the episode before this, I think Samantha Bee's segment arrived right on cue since the news of her and Jason Jones' pilot getting a 10-episode run on TBS. I feel like the viewers were treated last night with her appearance just to prove that she's not going anywhere, though I'm still gonna miss Jason. Seriously, as soon as Comedy Central releases the announcement date of Jason's last day as a correspondent, someone please let me know so I can the bear the pain sooner!!! I'm gonna go bathe in my own tears now... Waaaaaaaaaaahhhh~

• Love 1

I agree with you about visiting a citizen-oppressed country downs the satisfaction of vacationing there, Victor the Crab; however, I guess visiting Vegas is also off your list of "Places to go for vacation"(Cuba ain't got nothing on Vegas during the summer!), unless you'd prefer to go to places around not-so-sweaty seasons. Okay, maybe not spring break cuz of all the pool party college mess madness I've observed lately.

Actually The Luvly Junkie, I spent a week in Vegas back in the beginning of December 2013, when the weather was more sane for my liking. The first half of the week, it was very pleasant with temperatures in the low 70s. I walked up Las Vegas Boulevard to Freemont with the sun beating down the back of me but I wasn't in any discomfort, and I was wearing a jeans jacket at the time. But the second half of my week there, the temperatures plunged to the mid to upper 30s. I had my soccer supporters scarf with me to take pictures with, but it came in very handy to wear when the winds started picking up

Yeah, a little OT, I know. But the hotel I stayed at had Comedy Central, so I was able to stay up to date with both TDS and TCR, so YAY! :D

• Love 2

Actually The Luvly Junkie, I spent a week in Vegas back in the beginning of December 2013, when the weather was more sane for my liking. The first half of the week, it was very pleasant with temperatures in the low 70s. I walked up Las Vegas Boulevard to Freemont with the sun beating down the back of me but I wasn't in any discomfort, and I was wearing a jeans jacket at the time. But the second half of my week there, the temperatures plunged to the mid to upper 30s. I had my soccer supporters scarf with me to take pictures with, but it came in very handy to wear when the winds started picking up

Yeah, a little OT, I know. But the hotel I stayed at had Comedy Central, so I was able to stay up to date with both TDS and TCR, so YAY! :D

Good to know you were accommodated in Vegas, though it's a little ironic when you brought up when you stayed there. Before going up to Washington, and being a Vegas local, I thought the city's weather in December was absolute hell for me. Now I barely feel goosebumps when I returned there last winter break.

I've stayed in most of the hotels for an in-depth perspective of how Vegas (the Strip) operates itself, but I didn't realize some of them had Comedy Central. If only I'd found TDS and TCR sooner I would've taken advantage of that (I'm cable deprived back at home). T_T

The president sent Conan to Cuba?

Maybe he's trying to get rid of him! ;)

My favorite moment of the show was "Jon, my parents were married, so technically, I'm not a bastard." Because I adore responding to insults with annoying literalism. E.g.: "My mother's not a whore. She's a librarian."

• Love 4
The president sent Conan to Cuba?

I thought that's what they said.

Conan said that President Obama had mentioned opening relations with Cuba so they took the opportunity to be able to go to Cuba. I'm actually surprised TDS didn't jump on that boat immediately. But I guess their go to international correspondent was busy as was their go to "Latino" correspondent.

The fact that the personalities at Fox News devote so much time tearing into Jon, actually gives him more legitimacy, even though at the end of the day, he's actually just a comedian. "Jon Stewart is retiring. Good riddance." That's really all it warrants. 

Their reaction just underscores what they're all about. They're not sincerely promoting 'conservatism', as Jon pointed out with the "it isn't about right versus wrong, it's their pov v everyone else is wrong."

The fact that they were all whining about it seems a lot similar to the super religious people who complain about attacks to their faith from every corner of society. Which I think is apt. If you were truly sincere about your faith/political theory/whatever, and you're getting all up in arms about this, then really how sincere are you? Clearly, not at all. 

It's funny because calling them out obviously isn't going to change their minds, but they're reactions just show how fake they are. 

• Love 1

Oh yeah

When I think of Jon and Conan, I think of this video:

if Jonny-bun didn't show that video in the first place, I wouldn't have ventured into his younger days. My how time has changed for him (in a good way).

Conan said that President Obama had mentioned opening relations with Cuba so they took the opportunity to be able to go to Cuba. I'm actually surprised TDS didn't jump on that boat immediately. But I guess their go to international correspondent was busy as was their go to "Latino" correspondent.

Jason Jones would be perfect for covering Cuba, but like Conan said, since the Cubans want more insight about American culture, it's best to lower down the sarcastic, snarky character. If he has time, maybe Cuba could be Jason's swan song for his International reports.

Conan made a good point. He was being the butt of all the jokes in Cuba. It's just mean spirited if you go down there and make fun of people.

It's similar in tone when TDS went to India for the election. The joke was on American politics, not Indian citizens.

Man, I have absolutely no interest in wrestling, MMA, WWE, whatever. I did like when Jon said something like he was going to bring it but he didn't have it with him and would have to go find it.

I really like Hasan. He's very charismatic. And cute! The reactions of that first guy in his segment were so funny.

• Love 4
Olivia Wilde is adorable. Aside from House, I don't think I've seen anything she's ever been in, but her interviews on TDS are always fantastic. There's a baby in my sweatpants?

Just coming to say the same thing!  I didn't watch House, so I'm not really familiar with anything she's been in, but she is somebody I would love to hang out with.  

Beautiful, funny as hell... Sudeikis hit the jackpot. 

• Love 1