Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E17: Fun and Games

candall

Aieeee, couldn't wait for a thread to go up!  Had to say, for the 17th time:

HOTEL ROOM!  Ever heard of those?  Look into it.

So Beth-Michelle's conveniently positioned back in her House of Gauze.  With a unit outside. (Why don't they just start calling outside units "red shirts"?)

I watched another crime show tonight with a similar scenario except when the bad guy walked in, there were two dozen people waiting to arrest him.  I have to question that any stalker worth his salt wouldn't notice the transportation and maneuvering necessary to get a SWAT team into position, but come on!  This show could at least do better than placing the stalkee right on the other side of her own damn "Welcome" mat.

Edited by candall
  • Love 5

I'm sad Perry died right when he was getting interesting.

"I may have misjudged the situation." LOL.

That was a good line!  I liked his interaction with the hardened gumshoe who had bailed him out a million times.  But I had an eyebrow way up when he was taking responsibility for everything to Tracy.  That guy would have been saying "NOT my fault!  NOT my fault!" right up to the bitter end.

• Love 2

What a stupid police force.

Sure, send Beth back to her home, where the guy trying to kill her knows how to find. No need for a safe house of hotel room.

Give her a biddy guard but don't give him a bullet proof vest.

Finally, open the locked door and kept him in!

• Love 4

It is hard to get past the stupidity of this squad. Why did they send Beth home? Let her stay at her office. She is the safest at work surrounded by cops. Plus everyone keeps opening the door to check on the guards. Why bother with guards if you are going to keep opening the door?

I would rather have a case of the week than spend the entire episode on the Beth stalking.

• Love 5

That was a good line!  I liked his interaction with the hardened gumshoe who had bailed him out a million times.  But I had an eyebrow way up when he was taking responsibility for everything to Tracy.  That guy would have been saying "NOT my fault!  NOT my fault!" right up to the bitter end.

Agreed. He so wouldn't have taken any responsibility.

So, basically, Michelle/Beth lived the plot of Endless Love, except Ray was more psycho than David and killed her entire family.

I really thought this was going to end with Beth shooting Ray's ass when he tried to get in, not him actually kidnapping her. That was just ridiculously contrived.

• Love 2

This was a low budget movie tonight, that's all I can say, with a new writer who's obviously been watching other low budget movies and thought he could make his more original.  Not!  What a disappointment.

• Love 2

I kept thinking of that Geico ad where the young folks keep making stupid decisions while the serial killer is rolling his eyes and shaking his head at their stupidity.   Why, oh TV Gods, do writers make their characters act so damn stupid???  

Beth going back to her house, having only ONE guard, having Ben open the locked door to give the guard a heads up, Perry and the Private Eye sitting in the motel room talking instead of getting the hell out of there while the getting was good...

No big shocker that Perry got killed.  These shows are basically melodramas where you get punished if you do bad.  Perry set the whole thing in motion, so he was doomed (and yeah, as somebody up thread said, "just when he was getting interesting").  And didn't Perry have drawings where he was strangling Beth?  So when did he become "non-violent"?   

They'll probably tie up the Beth/Michelle psycho-stalker story fairly quickly.  From what I've read, it's unlikely that this show is getting renewed - low ratings combined with critical razzing = cancellation.  

• Love 1

I will have more to say, but wanted to point this out. In this episode Ray had stolen a Tauarus, he had in the junkyard. It had a dent in the front of the hood and is light colored . I saw in "The Mentalist" on 1/25/15 that Vega was following around Bill Peterson in a simular color Taurus and on it had the same dent in hoods front.

I kept thinking of that Geico ad where the young folks keep making stupid decisions while the serial killer is rolling his eyes and shaking his head at their stupidity.   Why, oh TV Gods, do writers make their characters act so damn stupid???  

Beth going back to her house, having only ONE guard, having Ben open the locked door to give the guard a heads up, Perry and the Private Eye sitting in the motel room talking instead of getting the hell out of there while the getting was good...

My daughter and I love that Geico ad! Obviously everyone on the show has never watched any scary movies. They don't know the rules, see Randy from the original "Scream." Seriously how the hell did all these people become police officers? This episode was like let's think of every dumb move you can make and cram it in, it was like bad opposite day! When I was watching as soon as they showed the patrolman I was like nice knowing you, just too obvious.

With all the stupid things that they were doing somehow I actually felt bad for that idiot Perry. Me caring more about him than the regular characters is not a glowing review for this episode.

• Love 2

Well this certainly went over the top into nutty land.

I gotta say, I think they're gutless for not killing off whathisname.  You can tell they're gonna save him.  And frankly he's an annoying character anyway.

Also Bethchelle?  I suppose the show avoided the outright idiotic cliche of her sneaking away to go after Ray herself, but really?  Having her stop being a cop the moment her colleague is shot by bending over him, presenting her head to be bashed in?  There isn't an eyeroll smiley big enough for that.  Not to mention the SINGLE cop outside her house.  Give.  Me.  A. Break.  You lame show, you.

• Love 2

For us, the biggest "WTF" moment was Perry and Gumshoe sitting around drinking beer, eating peanuts, and waiting for Daddy to call instead of getting the F outta there.  Sitting ducks, much?  

Perry knew it was a bad idea at least, but I was astonished at the lack of urgency with the stupid P.I.  Did the man do no research at all in who he'd be facing?

This episode was so filled with What the Fuckery I finally at the end of the week rated it "Stupidest Show of the Week", even though it had the most god-awful over the top bad episode of "State of Affairs" on this week to contend with as competition.  And when you out-stupid "State of Affairs"... that's means your episode was epically bad.

• Love 2

Sending Beth home was a contrived choice for so many reasons. What if Ray had called again? They had just gone to find Ray and then had to conference-call Beth-Michelle from home for more info. The plot just needed Beth at home so the kidnapping could happen... 

Why are people still opening doors for killers without verifying who is on the other side?!? Don't they bother to find out the name of the officer who is supposed to be outside?!

And the sacrificial squad member who stayed with Beth - getting chest compressions in the same area where he had been shot? Is that to help him bleed out faster? And it looked as if he had been shot very near the heart.  

And why is Beth a bad-ass in some situations and hapless victim in others? I'm beginning to think the plot is the real criminal of this show..

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 5

I think the cast and writers all got together and said "you know, even though we get paid alot, we're tired of this show, let's make the cheesiest, most low budget looking movie/tv show we can think of", so,  "Lets all of us toss in ideas that would make it entertaining, unreal, nauseating, yet somewhat suspenseful".

• Love 1

According to Wikipedia :

On October 27, 2014, CBS placed a full season episode order for the first season.[3]
After the February 18, 2015 episode the show was pulled from the schedule and is unclear if the remaining episodes will air.

What a sucky way to leave the show hanging. Sure it was bad, but pulling it with such a major cliffhanger is just rude.

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 4

They won't waste the episodes.  Worst case they'll put them on the CBS paid streaming service (CBS All Access).

Oh wait.  That means most of us won't see it, since that service is ridiculous.

• Love 1

Oh Perry, you knew you were partnered up with a lunatic, yet every time he left you in the hotel to go commit acts you thought were heinous, you never considered packing up your suitcase and leaving?  Instead, you wait to leave until he kills the PI and he is standing, armed, between you and the door.  

My hunch that Beth was dreaming in the beginning was confirmed when we see Ray had short hair, even though the only picture they had of him was with longer hair - the one they showed witnesses and put on the news (even though they knew he had cut it by the time the news report was on). 

Ray drove a "classic" car on their first date, so he hid the body in the same make and model at the junk yard.  It was an old model when he drove it, now it is 15-20 years later, and he is able to find the same kind of car?  I guess after he bashed in the DA's head, he borrowed one of the magic computers from another CBS crime show and did a search.

The writers couldn't seem to decide if the audience was supposed to like or dislike the woman that took over for Beth - half the cast was in awe the other half gave looks of disdain.  I did like how the three amigos pretended to be working when New Boss Lady cam out of the conference room - well, two of them pretended, Jack just stood there posing for a catalog ad.

I don't know about obtaining warrants in the real world, but in the world of TV, they should have had no problem getting a warrant to find out who the PI was (or whatever warrant the New Boss Lady had to coerce out of someone). 

They need 10 Fancy Suit People to tell Beth that they won't let her be in charge of the case, but they only put one guard in front of her house.  

Once again, someone opens the door without verifying who is out there (at least Ben looked out the window first) - this happens so often that the stalkers know it - that is why none of the stalkers ever bother to hop the fence and sneak in through the back.   

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 1

They won't waste the episodes.  Worst case they'll put them on the CBS paid streaming service (CBS All Access).

Oh wait.  That means most of us won't see it, since that service is ridiculous.

Maybe they will run them on Saturday Nights, during the summer. You know, considering the buzz this show had up front and the possibilities of a show like this, they really must of had to work to mess up so badly.

• Love 1

I am getting really tired of investing in new shows with promising ideas, only to be let down/have them cancelled. Think I'll do what some on PTV have suggested: wait and binge-watch on Netflix if the show is any good.

I'd use my TV for target practice but for the fact that baseball season starts soon. It may move slowly, but at least writers can't FUBAR it and it (probably) can't be cancelled.

I must have dozed; was there a bad cover of an old song in this ep??

• Love 2

I am getting really tired of investing in new shows with promising ideas, only to be let down/have them cancelled. Think I'll do what some on PTV have suggested: wait and binge-watch on Netflix if the show is any good.

I'd use my TV for target practice but for the fact that baseball season starts soon. It may move slowly, but at least writers can't FUBAR it and it (probably) can't be cancelled.

I must have dozed; was there a bad cover of an old song in this ep??

Baseball unless you live in a part of the LA area where TWC is not available.  Way to go, Dodgers. 

• Love 1

There may have been 2 guards outside, 1 half asleep in his car on the street and the one by the door.

I at first thought Perry would be taken home by PI Gene Meadows. But Perry was mad at him and I thought maybe Perry would do something to Gene, or run. But when Ray came back to the Motel room I knew Gene's time was up. If Gene had drawn his gun as Ray came in it might have been an equel fight. But after Ray beat the guy Carl Stevens just for his beer, I knew Gene was done. Ray thought Perry nagged to much. I was surprised Perry didn't follow Ray to see what all he did.

We see the "crazy suit people" come to talk to Beth. We then get Vicki Gregg the new leader of the team. Will be interesting if we come back. I hope it is saved this season.

Ray's history has that he was Michelle/Beth's first bf. He had an excessive behavior. He even dated her sister Kimberly to make Michelle jealous. He then set a fire to the house to save the family and become a hero. But they all perished. Why didn't Ray perish too?

Rays flowers and note for Beth was cute. But the delivery man wasn't him or Perry.

Was there no locked fence at the entrance to the Scrap yard? Or did Ray break it, or take out the Security Guard off screen? It was a nice effort as Perry Whitley and Tracy Wright tried to get away. Perry tried to stop Ray.Tracy should have gotten in the car, and not run and hide in the old cars. But she was finally safe. The team and SWAT found her in an old Chevelle. Luckily Ray reminisced about his date with Beth/Michelle. Lucky for him there was an old Chevelle in the yard.

Amanda only has a concussion. Beth goes home with only Ben and then a unit outside. Ben opens the door to find Ray there in unit's place. Then we have Ben gut shot. Luckily Ray didn't finish him off. But not sure how bad he is. Did Beth go along with Ray so he wouldn't kill Ben? He probably did in the 2 Officers.

We find at the end that Ray has Beth in the truck with a dead looking Perry. Will we get this resolved?

Edited by webruce
  • Love 2

I at first thought Perry would be taken home by PI Gene Meadows. But Perry was mad at him and I thought maybe Perry would do something to Gene, or run. But when Ray came back to the Motel room I knew Gene's time was up. If Gene had drawn his gun as Ray came in it might have been an equel fight. But after Ray beat the guy Carl Stevens just for his beer, I knew Gene was done. Ray thought Perry 

Ray's history has that he was Michelle/Beth's first bf. He had an excessive behavior. He even dated her sister Kimberly to make Michelle jealous. He then set a fire to the house to save the family and become a hero. But they all perished. Why didn't Ray perish too?

I assume that Ray set the fire from outside (or set it inside then went outside) and waited until the fire became a hero-making opportunity, but it quickly got out of hand (maybe a gas line blew up or he made the mistake of starting a fire near every entrance), and he couldn't go in to save them.  Note: I am also assuming you were really asking how Ray avoided dying in the fire and weren't asking the TV Gods "why, oh why, couldn't Ray have died in the fire so we wouldn't have to watch this plot!"

My question for you, or anyone else who still looks at this forum - Who was Tracy staying with (Carl Stevens?) and how should we know him? I thought it might be the detective that used to date Amanda, but that would make no sense ("Tracy - you need to stay at the house of a detective you never met, and Beth - you go home to your house, where Perry has already found a way to get in side.")

• Love 1

Well it was a pray to the TV gods,lol  But he could have also perished trying to be that hero. But I do get what your saying about why he made it and they did not.

I forget who Carl Stevens was. A friend or relative of hers I think. Beth did tell us. The Detective that dated Amanda, was Trent Wilkes.

Yes as stated by someone up thread she should have stayed in her office loaded with cops and dogs.

Edited by webruce
  • Love 2

When they send Michelle home with a "unit" I thought it was a squad, not a single uniform and the other guy, yeah that was stupid.

Awww poor Perry died a hero at least... bit of redemption there..

I'm watching an old one from my queue that I'd missed (basketball coach victim.)  Perry and Ray are just setting up shop in the crappy hotel room and Perry comes in with multiple bags of breakfast goodies for Ray:  "I wasn't sure whether you had any dietary restrictions."

Oh, Perry.

It was clever to convert the backstory's original creepy stalker into a lightweight--and ultimately a semi-sympathetic character--by introducing a much darker villain. 

I guess I'm the only person who liked this show, which included the fun of gleeful snorting at all the "single unit" protection details.  The Following must be filling everyone's quota for ridiculously incompetent law enforcement these days. 

Hasta la vista, Stalker.