Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: Fog And Storm And Rain

As a severe storm warning forces everyone to hunker down indoors, Kathryn's mom Bonnie comes for a visit, bringing her friend Lucille and delivers some unexpected news to Kathryn. Bay finds that Emmett is avoiding any discussion of what triggered the UMKC investigation. Meanwhile, Daphne goes to see Regina at the coffee house where several shocks await her, including one that will put her freedom at risk.

Bay and Emmett...as dysfunctional as ever. This is one irritating couple with piss-poor communication skills. Most of their fights seem to end with Emmett pouting and stomping off. Can they please finally break up for good?

I liked Eric, though. Which means that he and Regina will inevitably break up or his old gang buddies will kill him in a dramatic season ender. That was Chekhov's gang tattoo.

• Love 7

I'm slightly confused as to what Bay is trying to explain, Emmett believes it's either black or white while Bay thinks it's grey. I know the previous episode was meant to exemplify peoples' perceptions about consent but Bay is putting herself in a position to be accused? I'm skeptical that Emmett was thinking along the lines of her cheating, but rather wanting her to admit to him (and herself) that she was violated. I  Emmett's body language stood out for me a lot this episode, because he whispered in every scene and that rarely happens. At this rate, I think John will be Bay's strongest ally and I'm okay with that.

After all the grief she anticipated from previous encounters, I'm surprised Kathyrn was that upset. I'd have been sad about her condition but thrilled that she wouldn't let it get her down and that she's going to live life to the fullest. Plus, Bonnie was right, who would want to live out the best part of their condition eating mashed food in a assisted living facility or living with the Kennishes? If it gets her out of your hair, let her go!

And idiot of the episode goes to...our favourite deaf felon, take a bow! Forget that the story was something out of "I Know What You Did Last Summer" movie, but you'd think having blackmailed someone two seasons prior, she'd understand the concept by now. And Regina going to Eric for money? Ridiculous! For people who used to be from East Riverside, they lack the street smarts to save their lives. I think Eric's son is adorable though.

Edited by Eri
  • Love 2

Meredith Baxter and Lea Thompson do such a good job of acting similarly. Bonnie's mannerisms while she was making the big speech to Katherine were just like what we see Katherine do, facial expressions and head dips and all.

That whole thing in East Riverside was so weird. "That guy's blackmailing me and my felon daughter who tricked the police." "That's ok, I'm a gang member, so we're cool." "Yay!" "Yay!" I am 100% positive that Nacho asks around, finds out that Eric no longer has any street cred or connections, and comes back with a vengeance and his own gang. Maybe Regina will get shot this time. 

So they couldn't cut one or two of the endless Daphne/Regina/Nacho/Eric or Bonnine/Kathryn scenes to give Bay and Emmett a little bit more focus? Really show?

Bay and Emmett get about four one minute scenes scattered throughout the hour about this huge and pivotal moment in their lives, but they were the "C" story to both of the other two that will likely never be brought up again when it should have been the reverse.  I spent most of the hour waiting and waiting for them to get back to Bay and Emmett, to get some depth and time for them trying to figure out what to do next and it was completely short-shifted.  They didn't even show Bay actually telling him anything.  Just the end of the conversation.  Kathryn mentions that Emmett spent the night at the house with Bay because they had a lot to talk about, but then . . . nothing.  But Nacho having a daughter and Eric being in a gang was important for me to know.    

And why the big dramatic scene in the rain?  What was the purpose of that?  It was pretty pointless.  Them being in the rain made zero impact on anything that was being said.  That being said, they both had points at the end.

I swear I heard more of what Eric, Nacho, and Bonnie were thinking and feeling than I did Emmett.  I get sad stories from Nacho and Eric and Bonnie, but barely get any perspective from Emmett.  And I guess he's going to leave once again with him and Bay on bad terms.  Why keep bringing him back from LA if nothing gets accomplished but another fight?  It seems the only reason the writers sent Emmett to LA was for him to come back and have conflict with Bay.  Anything having to do with him in school was just about him meeting this Skye person so she could kiss him and he could fight with Bay about it which led to her drinking and the rest is history.  His last visit served no other purpose but to set their big PSA into motion, and nothing gets done with this last visit.  Nothing is ever about him anymore, but characters like Travis get stories just about them.  I would love to see how he's adjusting to college life in a majority hearing environment.  How's he adjusting to being completely mainstream with NO majority deaf courses like the program at UMKC?  Especially since he was so hesitant about those situations before.  He talked about how hard it was, but the show doesn't care to show any of it.

It was great to see him with other characters and I liked how he's just part of the Kennish family. 

The same thing about Emmett is true about Bay really.  Nothing is ever about her.  She's always used to facilitate another character's story or tell the PSA of the season.  It's been the trend with her since about Season two.

I wish Bay and Emmett could catch a break.  It's nothing but never ending drama and heartache for them.  But next week will be dedicated to Daphne going on a date? Oh. Joy.

And once again, Daphne's problems are perfectly resolved in a perfect little bow by the end of the hour.  Is there anything anyone wouldn't do to save her?  Was I supposed to be touched at the end with Regina stroking her hair? All I could do was roll my eyes.  If it wasn't for Bay, who's been through more than enough, I would have been rooting for him 100% to make their lives, especially Daphne's hell.  I can't stand her.  Nacho was right.  It must be nice to be the rich, little white girl who has everyone falling all over themselves to protect her and solve her problems.

Edited by KBrownie
  • Love 5

I don't know if kathryn was being naive or in denial about her mother's relationship with her "friend" since they insisted on sharing a bedroom. I do understand Kathryn being upset about her mother movign to france - when will they see each other again.

(I am highly amused that both Lea and and Meredith have played Michael J. Fox's mother)

• Love 2
At this rate, I think John will be Bay's strongest ally and I'm okay with that.

Yes, John seems to be able to give her what she needs right now - a listening ear, a hug, and some simple advice she asks for.  I like that she's been able to turn to someone who is listening to and hearing her.

I was really struck by how adamant Emmett was about not talking with Bay, and not letting Bay talk.  Bay made it very clear she really wanted to talk with him and needed to talk with him, and he just wasn't having it.  

"You were raped.  What else is there to say?"  Really, Emmett?  Why did he keep shutting her down?  I think I missed an explanation, something about Emmett feeling responsible?

Edited by izabella
  • Love 4

Maybe the way Bay still defends Tank is confusing for Emmett. Emmett is not a counselor or anything, he has no experience with how someone might act after they've been violated. Only an idea in his head, and the way Bay is acting doesn't fit the idea in his head. He doesn't know what to do with that.

Maybe Emmett can pay his mother a visit before he goes back to LA and she can help him understand what is going on with Bay. Can't Bay catch a break just once?

That bit near the end where Eric's kid hopes they don't have to leave again this time. I could practically hear an ominous "dun dun DUN!" There's gonna be gangsters coming after them, aren't there? And it will probably be ridiculous.

• Love 5

Maybe the way Bay still defends Tank is confusing for Emmett. Emmett is not a counselor or anything, he has no experience with how someone might act after they've been violated. Only an idea in his head, and the way Bay is acting doesn't fit the idea in his head. He doesn't know what to do with that.

Maybe Emmett can pay his mother a visit before he goes back to LA and she can help him understand what is going on with Bay. Can't Bay catch a break just once?

That bit near the end where Eric's kid hopes they don't have to leave again this time. I could practically hear an ominous "dun dun DUN!" There's gonna be gangsters coming after them, aren't there? And it will probably be ridiculous.

He's probably either in Witness Protection or just constantly moving to get away from his old gang, either way Daphne did something dumb, and he just endangered his and his kid's lives to bail her out after knowing her for half an hour..

• Love 1

I hate Daphne.

I have never felt more like reaching through my TV and strangling a character, the way I felt like doing to Daphne while watching this episode. I downright hate her now. Regina says, we got to make sure that this guy doesn't know anything about the situation with Bay taking your place, and what does Daphne do the minute she's alone with Nacho? Tells him all their secrets, and leaves them all open to blackmail. WTF !!!

It makes me question the writers. Are they deliberately trying to make us hate Daphne, or, as I am beginning to suspect, are they just so completely unaware of just how horrible and unlikeable they have written this character ?

She creates all these chaotic situations, that pull in other people around her, then never gets to pay any consequences. It always ends for her with a hug and a smile. I just, literally cannot stand her anymore, and it's starting to ruin my enjoyment of the show.

As for Emmet and Bay: Emmet is acting like an ass right now. First, with not even wanting Bay to talk about what happened to her, and then for getting mad at her when she finally explains what happened.What an asshole.

Edited by millerlite
  • Love 5

It makes me question the writers. Are they deliberately trying to make us hate Daphne, or, as I am beginning to suspect, are they just so completely unaware of just how horrible and unlikeable they have written this character ?

I honestly think it's the latter. I get the feeling we're just expected to sympathize with Daphne and forgive her everything because of her disability and the fact that she grew up without the advantages that Bay did.

I actually liked Daphne at first and thought Bay was an annoying brat. But then something flipped (for me at least). I'm pretty sure it was around the time Bay started hanging out with Emmett trying to find out about her father.  Plus, Vanessa Marano is a better actress than Katie LeClerc.

Edited by Gumdrops
  • Love 4

I think from the start of the show Daphne was designed as a troublemaker who get away with a lot of stuff because her deafness and whiteness, while Bay was always overlooked sainct with big heart. I think it is natural for the writers to have one sister "good" and other "less good" and play with a perception of other characters and viewers. Also all those chaotic situations she caused opened a gate for many storylines. Without it the show would be stale.

I am sure writers are realistic enough to know she will not be liked by everyone. But not everyone hate such girls like Daphne. I like her, especially in her bitchy moments, she is more fun then Bay/Emmet endless melodrama and hundred times more fun then sidestories of parents.

Edited by GaiusB
  • Love 1

I think from the start of the show Daphne was designed as a troublemaker who get away with a lot of stuff because her deafness and whiteness

Heh I had the exact opposite reaction. I remember liking Daphne immediately - she was happy, friendly, polite, and just all-around pleasant to everyone. I disliked Bay pretty much immediately - she was an eye-rollingly pretentious "artist" and a complete brat. But somehow over the years they switched places (...whoa...).

• Love 10
Heh I had the exact opposite reaction. I remember liking Daphne immediately - she was happy, friendly, polite, and just all-around pleasant to everyone. I disliked Bay pretty much immediately - she was an eye-rollingly pretentious "artist" and a complete brat. But somehow over the years they switched places (...whoa...).

I thought the same thing in the pilot.  I remember Daphne said something, and Bay turned to her parents all bratty commenting how she couldn't understand her.  Daphne seemed like a sweet girl then.  I find Bay more relatable and likable now.  I'm not really sure when that switch happened.

• Love 3

I agree. 

Realistically, Emmett was never going to have the right reaction to any of this. One, he's an 18-19 year old boy who's never had to deal with something like this, two, DRAMA, and three, it's Emmett so of course he wasn't going to react well.  I give him some credit for trying once he knew that it wasn't as simple as Bay cheating on him, but it wasn't as simple as the image of rape he had in his head either.  He DID try however.  He came to be by her side, avoid pressuring her to do anything she didn't want to do (although he admittedly didn't want to talk about it either), and move on with their lives.

But yeah, I understand him being confused as well.  I know I was.  As Sarah pointed out in the review posted above, it would have been really nice and helpful to cut out a scene of Daphne being stupid, or Eric's lecture to show exactly what she told him and how.  

I get that the show wanted to show that these situations aren't always black and white, that the truth and the consequences can often be messy and unclear, but they went overboard in this instance when it comes to Tank.  The only time I agreed with Emmett was when he said that Bay was trying to convince him that Tank was such an upstanding citizen.  The writers have bent over backwards and twisted themselves into knots trying to protect the character of Tank and his "good guy" status and have not shown that same consideration towards anyone else.  Not even Bay, the LEAD character, whose thoughts, feelings, and motivations should have been central here.  But instead, she has mainly been focused on protecting Tank and how others view him, while Tank hasn't returned the favor for her by showing any concern that he may have hurt her, whether he intended to or not.  He got WAY too much focus and attempts to paint him in a sympathetic light for someone whose actions resulted in the assault of someone else, one of the main characters no less. And it WAS assault.  No matter how much the show wants to obfuscate that fact.  Why even bring it up as a topic if they were only going to go out of their way to explain it away and avoid having the victim of the assault clearly identify what he did as wrong.  The show wanted to have their cake and eat it too.  They wanted the big PSA, but didn't want to go all the way and dirty up their other sainted character in Tank.

I get why Emmett would have been confused.  The writers have Bay at every turn defending Tank and what he did.  It's always "What Tank did was wrong, BUT . . . ," or "Tank made bad choices BUT . . . "  She's talked more about him than she has herself and how she's dealing with the feelings of having someone she thought she could trust violate her in that way.  The writing even went so far as to have Bay explicitly state that he's a "good guy" which has become completely trite and cliche at this point.  Just in case you didn't pick up on all the other non-subtle clues that Tank isn't a bad person, let me have Bay, the one who has been taken advantage of, clear it up for you.  The big, bad school punished him, not Bay. Bay still thinks he's a "good guy" so the audience should too.  Bay talks as if she would still be friends with him or something when she should never want to have anything to do with him ever again.  

Did Bay tell Emmett how she hit her head in addition to being drunk, how she felt when she woke up, and how she doesn't remember anything and how scary that it is, or did she focus more on how it wasn't Tank's fault and he's not the bad guy?  If she left out the former, then I get why Emmett was upset, or maybe she did because he said that Tank should have walked away.  Although he TOTALLY didn't handle it well by flying off the handle like he always does and walking away.  He should have been able to figure out that Bay may not want to admit that Tank could do that to her and that she was victimized.  That it's easier for her to focus on her and Tank's mutual mistakes.  Or maybe she feels guilty that Tank got expelled when that was NOT on her at all.  Tank violated the rules/code of conduct/whatever of the school and had to suffer the consequences.  

But I don't think the show is going for that though.  The writers want to make it clear that Tank is a "good guy."  That's the priority.  Twisting Bay and Emmett into a mess is collateral damage.  And their fight was just that a confusing, nonsensical mess.  Bay brings up Emmett sleeping with Simone (these two situations aren't comparable at all in my opinion as both Emmett and Simone clearly acknowledged that they chose to do what they did) as an example of him knowing what it's like to make bad choices, but then gets upset when he acknowledges that he did make a bad choice by asking her if that's what the whole thing is about.  She then says that it's not about cheating, but Bay, if you're (possibly) leaving out important information and insisting that Tank's not completely at fault and talking about your bad choices, then what else is it going to look like to him?  His bad choices that she brought up was cheating, but not here?  His bad choices that Bay was rightly not okay with and broke up with him over, but he's supposed to be okay with what happened at that moment?  I wish he was okay with it so they could move on and find peace and be happy, especially Bay, but I understand why he wasn't.

Emmett was never okay with Tank still being in Bay's life, given that they all knew Tank still had feelings for her, so why would he want to hear all about how Tank's a great guy? Great guys don't have sex with girls who are too drunk to stand up and girls who clearly never wanted to have sex with them before.  I don't think Tank is some awful predator or anything, but he isn't some saint "good guy" either.  He saw his chance and he took it.  And no, Emmett is no saint either, but no one is repeatedly portraying him as one like this show does with Tank.

Emmett was wrong and a hypocrite in that mess of a fight too.  He's pissed about Bay hanging out with Tank after their first fight and thinking that she may have been hanging out with him because she was mad at him, but he JUST got done almost doing the same thing with Skye when he didn't listen to Bay the first time trying to tell him what happened.  He talks about how he pushed Skye away the instant she kissed him, which he did do, but doesn't get that spending all that time with Skye he talked about, hanging out with her doing shots and whatever when she had feelings for him might have been wrong too.  Then Bay doesn't seem to get why Emmett doesn't want to hear about Tank, but she was upset about Skye hanging around Emmett.

The entire thing was just frustratingly ridiculous all around.  I'm so over the constant Bay and Emmett trauma.  Just let them be content and a normal couple for a while.  The world won't stop turning.

Vanessa Marano has been truly great with all her material though.  She's doing a great job with all of Bay's pain.  Every time Bay cries or is upset I just want to hug her.  Much better than Katie Leclerc's attempts at anything remotely dramatic.

• Love 7

I actually liked Daphne at first and thought Bay was an annoying brat. But then something flipped (for me at least). I'm pretty sure it was around the time Bay started hanging out with Emmett trying to find out about her father.  Plus, Vanessa Marano is a better actress than Katie LeClerc.

Completely agree with you (and others) in that Daphne started out quite sweet and Bay was the bratty one. That's why Liam (I think that was his name... hot guy who was Bay's boyfriend in the pilot) broke up with Bay and went after Daphne in the beginning. But now there's just something about her that gets on my last nerve. It may be that I don't completely buy this whole "grieving" Angelo 24-7 thing. She didn't even like the guy. She spent all of one night with him cooking in his failed restaurant and seemed to then be most affected by his death? Oh please. I'm not convinced.

ANYWAY.... Back to the episode at hand...

Which I will start by saying has got to be the most BORING episode of Switched At Birth ever.I'm sorry but I was so upset! After all this build up of the last 2 episodes, THIS is what they come back with?!?!?!?! I feel cheated. I want those 40 mins of my life back!

That entire C-story with Katherine's mother should've been left on the cutting room floor. Along with half of that Daphne / Regina / Nacho / ... OMG I can't even finish typing all their names because it will be increasing my time wasted on this episode. :-/

(In case you hadn't noticed, I despise filler episodes, which is exactly what this was.)

If you're gonna break up Bay and Emmett, the most liked couple on the show from what I can tell, why do it off screen? Why not let us see the actual conversation? Why not try to get us to see both of their perspectives and feel for them in some way? Right now, I can't care because I don't know what even happened. It was very poorly handled in my opinion. Which I think was an even bigger let down after the last 2 episodes that I thought were so well done.

• Love 1

I'm not sure I would react any different than Kathryn if I found out my mother has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's and moving to France. Dementia can set in quickly and advance rapidly and unpredictably. Loosing someone to dementia is awful; it is like seeing a person die a little bit at a time. I'd be heartbroken if someone I lost what time I left with a loved one, even if knew it was in their best interest.

And, Bay's explanation to Emmett was painful to watch (and I'm glad we didn't have to see more than they showed), but made sense to me. Rape victims often blame themselves, and I think that having not worked through her feelings, I think a lot of guilt was tainting their conversation. I hope next episode introduces a therapist for poor Bay!

• Love 4

Which I will start by saying has got to be the most BORING episode of Switched At Birth ever

Agreed. I fell asleep for almost half the episode, something I've never done before. I just finished re-watching it and don't feel like I missed much.

I definitely think both Bay and Emmett need to be talking to a counselor (separately) about what happened. Emmett clearly is confused in how to handle the situation and I think Bay really could benefit from talking to someone about it as well.

So is the money Regina used for the coffee shop (the $50,000) part of the settlement money left to them by Angelo? Is that Regina's money? Or Daphne's money? Or both?  Why does Regina need to check with Daphne before investing it?  Regina is clearly a competent business woman. While I don't think it's necessarily wise to be investing in a business that someone you're in a relationship with is running, Daphne didn't know Regina was dating Eric at the time when she got all worked up about Regina not talking to her before investing the money.

When Regina said something to Daphne about fall break that started off with "Those of us who aren't royalty....". Yup, sums it up. Princess Daphne, everyone else is at your service. Hate hate hate her. 

This was an annoying episode.  The whole extortion attempt with Regina and Daphne didn't make any sense.  The police are overworked and under paid so they're not going to re-open a case that's been settled.  Bay pleaded guilty and received a sentence - the police are done.  

Regina invested $50,000 in the coffee shop, and she was ready to hand over $10,000 as a black mail payment?  Apparently she wants to spend all the insurance money so she and Daphne can live hand to mouth again.  

Even Bay annoyed me this episode.  Emmett clearly wasn't ready to discuss what happened, but she pushed the issue and then got upset with his reaction.  If she had waited until he was ready to listen, his reaction would most likely have been much different.  He's still young enough that I wouldn't expect complete understanding of the situation, but I think at least half of his outrage resulted from having to sit through an explanation he wasn't ready to hear.

This episode was so bad that i thought the scenes with Kathryn and her mother were the best part.  If the season doesn't get better soon, I'm done.  

Bay talks as if she would still be friends with him or something when she should never want to have anything to do with him ever again.

(emphasis mine)

Who's to decide how Bay "should" be acting or feeling other than Bay herself? It's more than a little troubling how eager everyone (out of the characters, but some viewers too) was to pigeonhole Bay into the role of "victim", even when Bay herself explicitly did not consider herself one. And it's equally troubling that Bay is being criticized for acting how she wants to act with Tank.

Edited by CleoCaesar
  • Love 4

(emphasis mine)

Who's to decide how Bay "should" be acting or feeling other than Bay herself? It's more than a little troubling how eager everyone (out of the characters, but some viewers too) was to pigeonhole Bay into the role of "victim", even when Bay herself explicitly did not consider herself one. And it's equally troubling that Bay is being criticized for acting how she wants to act with Tank.

Of course Bay will decide what's best for her.  I wasn't suggesting anything different.  My opinion is that she shouldn't want anything more to do with him.  

Bay may not see herself as a victim in your view or anyone else's, and if that's what works for her then fine.  I'm not pigeonholing her into anything.

But she definitely has expressed that what happened was not just drunk sex.  She doesn't view what happened as her cheating and has shown that she is not comfortable with what happened to her.  She has repeatedly said something was wrong and something was off.  So yeah, she's not calling herself a victim, but she isn't just content with what went down either or Tank's version of events.  

She was never as close with Tank as some want to make her out to be, so yeah.  I don't think that friendship is going to come through this.  It wasn't much to begin with.  Tank was a rebound and someone to hang out with to forget about the more important things in her life.  Not even when she was dating him was she close to him or sharing things with him.  She didn't trust him then and it's reasonable to think she isn't going to trust him any more now.  So I don't see why she would want to or be comfortable having any sort of friendship with him at this point when she doesn't know what happened to her and she doesn't trust what he says happens.  It's perfectly reasonable.  I don't see the need to elevate Tank's position in Bay's life because of any of this.   

Personally, I find it troubling that so many want to absolve Tank of any responsibility or hold him accountable for any of his wrongdoings in this whole thing, but that's those people's prerogatives.  He is the one that so many want to label as the "victim" of Bay when he doesn't think that anything at all was wrong with what went down.   He too isn't calling himself a victim.  He's not even a victim of the school.  His behavior violated whatever rules or code of conduct the school has, and he had to suffer the consequences of those actions.  Just because he doesn't think he did anything wrong doesn't make it true.

As far as Bay, or any other fictional character, being criticized, I don't understand the issue.  That's part of the discussion.  Characters' actions are criticized all the time by anyone and everyone.  Bay has been criticized for every little thing since this thing began.  The fact that that critique involves Tank isn't any different than anything else to me.  He isn't special.  And I wasn't even criticizing her.  I was more expressing my concern that what I feel is this show's insistence on making Tank the sympathetic focus of this is going to result in something unrealistic, i.e. Bay continuing to be friends with him.  

Edited by KBrownie
  • Love 2

If Bay stays friends with Tank, she wouldn't be the first woman to stay in contact with someone who hurt her badly and make excuses for his bad behavior. Far from it. It's awful how common it is.

I'm not sure I want to see this on the show though. It would either be another big huge full-of-drama plotline that can't end well, or they'd play it like everything was just a funny misunderstanding and that would piss me off.

• Love 3

I didn't get that Bay still wants any kind of friendship with Tank from her conversation with Emmet nor that she was specifically defending Tank.  How I read Bay's reaction was a combination of factors and effects all pressing on her (misplaced) guilt.

Bay is still grappling with her feelings about what happened, her uncertainty about exactly what happened, her resistance to being considered or accepting the label of victim and the related resistance to labeling Tank a rapist and her guilt over the impact the situation resulting in Tank being expelled which, though not at all her fault, she seemed to internalize when she learned of it.  So all of that is swirling around in her head and Emmet's vehemence in vilifying Tank and his anger just piled on her anxiety and guilt.

Also, it is common and understandable that a person whose loved one was raped to feel anger and powerlessness possibly compounded by guilt for not protecting them.  But to a confused and traumatized person who was violated, anger and need for retribution expressed by their parents or boyfriend or other loved ones can actually be upsetting and also add to feelings of guilt.

• Love 4

I swear, if Daphne wasn't already in college, her entrance essay would be titled "How I committed a felony and got away with it".

I liked how the dealt with the situation with Kathryn's mom.  When they were cooking and she thought she forgot her meds, I couldn't decide if they were in a relationship or if the friend was a care worker and still wasn't quite sure when John said they wanted to share a bedroom.  Are we to assume that when the friend (spacing on her name) told Kathryn that they were "companions", that the fact they are in a relationship is going to remain unspoken because Kathryn would be uncomfortable with her mom being a lesbian?  That's how I took it, but I'm not sure why they would think she's be uncomfortable with it, so maybe I misunderstood. 

I think Bay was exactly right about the fact that they needed to talk about what happened before they could move on, but I was so annoyed that Emmett kept insisting that HE didn't need to talk.  It wasn't about HIM and his needs; it was about Bay and what she needed, but naturally he didn't get that.  If your girlfriend wants to talk, you shut up and listen instead of telling her she doesn't need to "put herself through that".  Saying that dismisses her feelings and is the opposite of being a supportive boyfriend.

The one huge nitpick that kept bugging me was trying to figure out when this was supposed to be taking place.  Daphne said she was on "fall break", coffee shop kid was in a heavier coat and wool hat, yet the trees were loaded with leaves and the grass was green.  

• Love 1

RachelKM, I think you're right. From Emmett's perspective it looks like she's defending Tank, but yes, I do get the sense that this is Bay's way of trying to come to terms with everything.

She needs to talk to someone, and she'd be resistant to talking to an actual counselor because that would be practically accepting the label of victim. So she talks to Emmett, she feels like she should be able to tell him anything and everything, but he's not equipped to handle this.

Unlike John (and also Travis), Emmett hadn't had the opportunity to get the "I'll kick his ass!" impulse out of his system. I hope something will make him come to his senses, though, because, like so many have said before, Bay really doesn't need more crap piled on her right now.

• Love 2
Are we to assume that when the friend (spacing on her name) told Kathryn that they were "companions", that the fact they are in a relationship is going to remain unspoken because Kathryn would be uncomfortable with her mom being a lesbian?  That's how I took it, but I'm not sure why they would think she's be uncomfortable with it, so maybe I misunderstood.

I actually really liked that, because after my grandmother died, my grandfather developed dementia and had a good friend around pretty much daily, and my parents and I referred to her as his "companion." I believe it was at least somewhat a romantic relationship before he finally had to be moved to a memory care facility, though he never made any obvious romantic gestures towards her while his grandchildren were around. I personally read into it as being a similar situation but could be totally wrong, and didn't think of that uncomfortable factor...hmm...

Edited by CalamitysChild

My only issue with Kathryn's mother is that ... Wasn't she all racist and, "To hell with Bay, she's not my real grandaughter, Go Daphne!" the last time we saw her?

I know that she's family and all, but that's a big issue to just ignore.

• Love 2

What a lame use of severe weather in a tv show. The only good it did was Kathryn's mom got to use it as small talk/ ice breaker for the awkward visit, and it forces Regina and Co. to shelter in the coffee shop, leading to the unfortunate blackmail storyline. I don't count the Emmett and Bay in the rain scene as a benefit of the storm because it was silly! She had decorative zippers on her sweater and didn't get hit by lightning.

I was expecting a tornado or something more life changing based on past tv watching experience.

So what was Toby doing? Beating up Tank, or hanging with his girlfriend?

I thought the same thing in the pilot.  I remember Daphne said something, and Bay turned to her parents all bratty commenting how she couldn't understand her.  Daphne seemed like a sweet girl then.  I find Bay more relatable and likable now.  I'm not really sure when that switch happened.

I remember exactly when it happened.  When she found out Bay and Emmett had become close, they did a close up on Daphne's face.  She had a expression that I can really only describe as 'bitch-face'  Its like everyone around her has a stench most foul and it seems to be the only expression she uses whenever there is any scene that she is supposed to be feeling emotion in.  Any kind of emotion gets the same expression.  It bugs.

• Love 2

Bonnie had mentioned that she wanted to spend her later years running a B&B, seeing new people and practicing lousy French with her partner than sitting around in in Arizona at an assisted living home. She had always wanted to see France so I thought she strongly implied going overseas.

I'm certain it was France. One of the other appeals was that they were going to see people who traveled from all over the world. People do travel to Vermont from wherever, but it's not that big of an international tourist attraction that you'd list it as one of the reasons to move there.

On the other hand, if she'd said Vermont, I would have thought that was an anvil that the women were lovers-- going to get married. They do have lots of B&Bs there, too.

Katherine is wealthy enough to visit mom in France. She doesn't see her mom much anyway, so I think she was reacting out of guilt and shock more than a real sense of outrage that mom was going overseas with her "companion."

I thought the euphemisms about whether they were lovers was supposed to be a generational delicacy, but it might also have been that the show was trying to make a point that the relationship was wonderful if they were friends, so why would it be terrible if they were more than that? In case anyone is watching the show with an anti-gay bias, I guess? The body language between them to me was unambiguous, though.

I hope Emmet speaks with his mom, and Travis.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 1