Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings...Gimmee!

caracas1914
  • Start Topic

Damn the latest ratings for EMPIRE for Feb. 11, 2015  are a new  series high   4.7.

It's ratings are growing every week after 6 (?) episodes..

At this pace it could become the  highest rated show of the TV  season, perhaps eclipsing TBBT.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

Per Variety:

In updated ratings released Thursday afternoon by Nielsen, Fox’s “Empire” was revised up a tenth in 18-49 (5.2/15) while moving above the 13-million mark in total viewers for the first time (13.02 million).  As a result, it gained week to week by a big 8% in the demo and 9% in total viewers; and vs. its premiere on Jan. 7, it’s up 37% in 18-49 and 32% in total viewers.

According to Nielsen Social Guide/Twitter estimates, last night’s “Empire” generated a whopping 615,461 tweets during its on-air broadcast. By comparison, AMC’s “The Walking Dead” drew 243,986 on Sunday.

Edited by tmelange
  • Love 3

Prelim households are out and it looks like it did it again. http://www.tvmediainsights.com/forum/topic/tuesday-30315-4/page/4/

The ongoing juggernaut on Fox called “Empire” scored what could be an historical record with its eighth consecutive week of overnight household growth. It topped the night at a 9.6 rating/15 share from 9-10 p.m. Comparably, this was 33 percent above the second half of “American Idol” on the year-ago evening (7.2/11 on 3/05/14). It was four percent above the 9.2/14 last week. And it built from the 8:30 p.m. portion of lead-in “Idol” (6.9/11) by 39 percent. Keep in mind that the 9.2 rating in the overnights last week translated into 13.90 million viewers and a 5.4 rating/15 share in adults 18-49, based on the Live Plus Same Day data.

Didn't see we have a ratings thread.  But, yeah, I think the ratings might keep increasing for these last two episodes.  I can see viewers checking out Jennifer Hudson and the Andre fall-out next week, and I have to think the finale is going to be huge.

Well "Walking Dead" has the new recent mark...6.2 ratings for a Cable show (that is shown on 85  % of US households, whereas FOX has 100 % penetration. 

Hitting a 6.0 now  on a network series in the context of dipping ratings for everything else would be something.

(edited)

I dunno, do they actually adjust as much as  .3  in one fell swoop?  I'm thinking an ajustment up gets EMPIRE To 5.8, which would still be  incredible.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1
(edited)

At this rate it could potentially  reach the 6.0 barrier by the season finale.

The final numbers are in and Empire 1x09 got adjusted up to a 5.8. I'm calling it now and predicting a 6.0 for next week and a 6.3 for the finale. This show is on fire!

Edited by Congo
  • Love 2

The switch to Daylight Savings Time can have an impact on primetime ratings, usually negative. Empire's ratings are anything but usual, so we'll see if it can buck yet another trend.

• Love 1
(edited)

So a 6.4 ( preliminary) and 16.5 million viewers.  The second hour got an insane 6.8.

AMAZING.

I'm thinking in proportion to the rest of Network ratings averages EMPIRE looms even   bigger in context.   Other shows in the last 5-10 years have gotten similar ratings (American  Idol, Grey's Anatomy) but most of that was when ratings across the board  were much higher.  Only a handful of network shows today get over 2.5 on a good night.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 8

Prelim, 6.5 and 16.0 mil viewers. Down from finale's 2nd hour a bit.

Don't we need to wait for adjustments before we say it's down? Bummed though - hoped it would go higher than the finale. I guess it still might, though that would be an additional 1.9 million fans... I think the finale had 17.9 million fans?

Slight signs of erosion already?  I'm telling you, the way to go is to give the CORE characters some real stuff to sink their teeth into.  Good merging plotlines and subplots are always well-received if it's written and written well.  Weekly silliness and guest appearances will only work for so long before the audience starts to demand more.

• Love 3

S1's last hour got a 6.9.

However, there are a number of ways this could go:

Desperate Housewives' big first season peaked with the finale, and never got back to that number. A trajectory like that would give Empire a slightly sub-5 average for the season.

Scandal's big second season peaked with the finale (3.2), and while S3 had a number of eps bigger than that the overall season didn't quite hit that. That's their biggest season, and a trajectory like that would give Empire a 6+ average for the season. 

Grey's similarly peaked with the third season. A trajectory from the first season finale to second season would also give Empire a 6+ average for the season.

Edited by jjjmoss

Wouldn't be surprised for FOX to officially announce that EMPIRE has been renewed for multiple future seasons.

Unfortunately shows like Empire, heavily serialized, overly dramatic, burn hot and fast. These zeitgeist-y shows can be hit or miss when it comes to ratings, they make one wrong move with a plot point and suddenly the show is a laughing stock. I think (hope) FOX will play it smart and not try to do TOO much with the show.

That said, this show is such a phenomenon and really unprecedented so who knows what'll happen? 

Here's what FOX is predicting for the premiere apparently:

EMPIRE (P) Projections

A18-49 Live + 3 Day: 8.6 (+32% vs. L+SD)

A18-49 Live + 7 Day: 9.0 (+38% vs. L+SD)

Total Multi-Platform Audience: 28.2 Mil (+76% vs. L+SD)

Unfortunately shows like Empire, heavily serialized, overly dramatic, burn hot and fast. These zeitgeist-y shows can be hit or miss when it comes to ratings, they make one wrong move with a plot point and suddenly the show is a laughing stock. I think (hope) FOX will play it smart and not try to do TOO much with the show.

That said, this show is such a phenomenon and really unprecedented so who knows what'll happen?

Do we knew how well this does internationally? Sometimes if a show is a big enough hit overseas, it makes another season worth it; despite declines in the North American market.

Do we knew how well this does internationally? Sometimes if a show is a big enough hit overseas, it makes another season worth it; despite declines in the North American market.

I think it does just okay, it's not the phenom that Desperate Housewives or House were in their heyday. I know that FOX had a very hard time selling it internationally before it became a hit.

There's a little more at on Empire's wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_(2015_TV_series)#Broadcast

I think it does just okay, it's not the phenom that Desperate Housewives or House were in their heyday. I know that FOX had a very hard time selling it internationally before it became a hit.

There's a little more at on Empire's wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_(2015_TV_series)#Broadcast

TV ratings in general though aren't what they used to be like when DH or House was on yet I think the numbers may be close. Hulu has been advertiisng being the home of Empire a lot, so when you factor in how many people will probably watch on their cable on demand or Hulu, the numbers will probably be even bigger and 16million viewers is probably going to put them second after Big Bang Theory (and that's a show that's burned out according to many fans who were with it from episode 1, myself included) for the week unless Scandal or How to Get Away With Murder does even better tonight.

TV ratings in general though aren't what they used to be like when DH or House was on yet I think the numbers may be close. Hulu has been advertiisng being the home of Empire a lot, so when you factor in how many people will probably watch on their cable on demand or Hulu, the numbers will probably be even bigger and 16million viewers is probably going to put them second after Big Bang Theory (and that's a show that's burned out according to many fans who were with it from episode 1, myself included) for the week unless Scandal or How to Get Away With Murder does even better tonight.

I was talking about international ratings, I believe for several years running DH was the number one international comedy and House was the number one international drama (that or CSI, I can't remember) and this was after they'd reached their heights in the US.

I think all this talk of erosion and needing the international numbers to help elongate the length of the series is so premature.  Almost laughably so.

Empire's first season ratings success made the show a phenomenon.  So much buzz was created by it that by the time it aired, the Empire finale was considered event TV.  People who never watched the show or watched via DVR watched it live.  They probably could have created something as necessary to watch if it had a bigger cliffhanger. 

As it stands, the demo for the premiere of Empire is twice the demo for Scandal and Scandal is considered a rather big hit for modern TV.  Even if the second hour of its finale is its peak, it has a long way to fall before it stops being a massive hit. Even if it lloses a full demo point, a 5.7 is still a massively huge hit, as is 4.7 as is 3.7.  I think Empire likely has to lose approximately 80% of it's demo audience before cancellation becomes a worry.  I suspect Taraji, Terrence and Lee will decide to call it quits before audience erosion makes FOX want to pull the plug.

Even if the S1 finale is going to be the show's peak,

• Love 7

I knew the L+3 ratings would be gangbusters.

Back with more demo muscle than ever before for its Season 2 debut, the Lee Daniels and Danny Strong co-created drama has hit platinum in delayed viewing. In Live + 3 ratings, the September 23 premiere of Empire scored a 8.7/27 among adults 18-49 and 20.8 million total viewers. That’s a high for the hit show.

‘Empire’ Ratings Hit Live + 3 Record In Season 2 Debut

• Love 3

5.4 early ratings.

Should adjust up, but looks around episode 8 territory. Its crazy S1 growth looked not sustainable given the ratings atmosphere, though of course people kept thinking that about Walking Dead.

Of course it's still enormous, especially for Fox which has to fight to crack a 2.

And it helped out Rosewood, especially in its 2nd half - it got a 1.7 for its first half, a 2.2 for its second.

I wonder if the show is going to mount a comeback and start growing in ratings again now that the focus is back on the family. That's it's strength.

I think having Anika more in play and the Cookie/Camilla rivalry is really going to bring it - giving Cookie the chance for more memes is a surefire ratings winner.