Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: "I'll Take Non-Show Chat For $400, Alex."

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Speaking of notifications, there used to be an icon for someone quoted you and someone liked you. Now I have to read a sentence to see if it's a "reacted to" or "quoted you." I only look at the quoted ones so am not fond of having to actually spend a couple seconds reading through all the notifications.

I don't ask to be notified, i just open the bell icon at the top of the page when it has some numbers on it. I keep the PTimer page open in my web browser and look at it when I'm avoiding work. Like now.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Do you want to stop the notifications?

I don't get notifications individually, they are collected in the bell icon at the top of the page. I look in the bell icon when a number appears at the top of it, which tells me how many people have responded to a post.

Reading here, it was my impression people were getting individual notifications each time one of their posts got a reaction. I used to have an email account set that way, a "ding" would sound and a pop-up window appeared every time a new email came in, regardless of what software I was working in. I "ass"umed that was the type of notifications being discussed here. No, I don't want that. I do want to keep the numbers appearing above the bell icon, then I know to open/read the notifications. That's how it's always been for me. I do like to read posts that have quoted, to see if someone does/does not agree.

My gripe is now I have to actually READ the notification to find out what each one is instead of seeing an icon for quote, like, surprise, sad and so forth. That type of response is also gone, notification are for either quotes or responded to. I do NOT like that change.

Long story but I'm sticking to it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

My gripe is now I have to actually READ the notification to find out what each one is instead of seeing an icon for quote, like, surprise, sad and so forth. That type of response is also gone, notification are for either quotes or responded to. I do NOT like that change.

Do you not get the text (in the notification description) that says someone reacted vs. commented  vs. quoted? I think the icons I get are different for each. The only thing I think I’ve lost is the kind of reaction (like, sad, lightbulb, etc.) but now I can’t even remember that for sure.

Or is that what you’re saying the issue is?  Sorry if I’m misunderstanding. It seems like everyone is having their own unique set of issues after this last round of site maintenance.

CDEE5F8F-CD15-473A-9152-125D3AF13E40.png

16 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

The only thing I think I’ve lost is the kind of reaction (like, sad, lightbulb, etc.) but now I can’t even remember that for sure.

Yes, now there's just one icon for all reactions, rather than the notification specifying which reaction the post received, but it sounds like that's one of the things they're trying to fix.

All I really "needed" was my customized home page back, and that happened quickly, so I'm mostly content to just ride out whatever time it takes them to fix the various post-update glitches, but I have to admit these giant-ass notifications are bugging me more than they should.  It's, what, three seconds to wait for one to quit blocking most of my screen?  But I have a bad habit of being short on patience over meaningless things.  I should just disable notifications while the problem lasts, since I only have the reactions/quotes/mentions option checked anyway.

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
45 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Do you not get the text (in the notification description) that says someone reacted vs. commented  vs. quoted? I think the icons I get are different for each.

I no longer get the icons for anything. The notification bell lcon only reveals two at a time so I opened the notifications list, shown below. As you can see, all of the notify icons are the same, I have to read through to see which are quotes. And the rest are just "reacted to," no likes, laughs, sad or anything. I'd have to look at each individual post of mine to see what each response was. As far as I know, everyone might have posted a "BARF" reaction. This is a downgrade IMO.notifications.thumb.png.f72aa93db41a5e6f53dd93ae0be4f9ce.png.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

I only get notifications via the bell icon and all I get are if I've been quoted. There must be a setting somewhere that I've set just for that. I don't need to see who reacted to my posts. I probably wouldn't even need to see if someone quoted me because I'm going to read ALL the new posts anyway and I'd see it then.

I have a dumb phone, so I only access the site via my laptop and, holy moly, are the notification avatars huge. I really don't NEED a special pop-up telling me there's a notification - I can see the bell has numbers in it - I can open it when I want to, but these huge avatars do NOT go away until I actually click on the notification and go to the post.

I agree with Saber - not an upgrade at all.

• Love 2

I've had trouble all day getting to Primetimer Forums on my iPhone.  It's fine on the Kindle and the PC, but the iPhone keeps getting a message re: the server.  I don't remember exactly what it says. Anyone else with similar difficulty?

1 hour ago, Driad said:

Is there still a symbol that means "you have posted in this thread"?  It was somewhat useful before the change, but I can't find it now.

I forgot about that "You have posted" icon. It was in the Light Default view and was handy when scrolling down a list. There is no room for one in the IPS view, which I switched to as shows no longer have their own line, some are three or four per row. But now it's gone in the Light Default view too, I switched back to check.

So yeah, I consider that a downgrade, not an improvement.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I only get notifications via the bell icon and all I get are if I've been quoted. There must be a setting somewhere that I've set just for that. I don't need to see who reacted to my posts.

How did you do that?  Because I'd like a notification if someone quoted or mentioned me so I can respond if need be, but I don't need notification of a mere like/useful/sad/etc. reaction.  Yet it has always been tied together unless I've missed something - "mentions and my content" means I get notifications any time someone "interacts with content you have posted".  So how are you, whatever notification method you choose, opting to only be notified of quotes, not mentions or reactions?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, opus said:

Just got a giant selfie notification from our friend  @saber5055.

(They fade away, I guess, but I managed to snap a screenshot as it was fading)

9242B27F-C509-43DB-A11A-473DD950ED25.jpeg

Wow. 
PTSD-ish flashbacks to when my sister used to post crying selfies that size on Facebook. 
I belatedly nominate for sainthood whoever broke her of that habit. 
At least yours is a cute pooch, @saber5055.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

How did you do that?  Because I'd like a notification if someone quoted or mentioned me so I can respond if need be, but I don't need notification of a mere like/useful/sad/etc. reaction.  Yet it has always been tied together unless I've missed something - "mentions and my content" means I get notifications any time someone "interacts with content you have posted".  So how are you, whatever notification method you choose, opting to only be notified of quotes, not mentions or reactions?

I don't know how I did that. I'll have to research...

ETA: In my Notification Settings, under Mentions & My Content I have checked off "On Site Notification List" - all that is is quotes from my content and mentions of my name, which I'm not sure how the software differentiates between our names and, say, someone talking about a brown coat or sailing with a prevailing wind. I don't know where you check or not check for the reactions.

Edited by Prevailing Wind

I still see the symbols next to the threads in which I have posted, indicating that I have posted there.  In fact, the site for me is pretty much exactly like it was before the upgrade.  I didn't change anything.  The only issue for me now is the giant avatars.  Oh, and the lack of different symbols to indicate what kind of reaction someone else gave one of my posts -- it's all just the blue bell when I click through.

16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I no longer get the icons for anything. The notification bell lcon only reveals two at a time so I opened the notifications list, shown below. As you can see, all of the notify icons are the same, I have to read through to see which are quotes. And the rest are just "reacted to," no likes, laughs, sad or anything. I'd have to look at each individual post of mine to see what each response was. As far as I know, everyone might have posted a "BARF" reaction. This is a downgrade IMO.notifications.thumb.png.f72aa93db41a5e6f53dd93ae0be4f9ce.png.

I only get notifications via the bell icon. I don't want emails.

I hadn't noticed the change in icons. There's still a comment one, but most of the others seem to use the bell. I don't really use the icon as a method to look through my notifications. I just look at all of them, from bottom to top (which is why I want to be able to clear my freaking notifications).

12 hours ago, Driad said:

Is there still a symbol that means "you have posted in this thread"?  It was somewhat useful before the change, but I can't find it now.

Did you switch themes?  In the Default (Light), I still see a head-and-shoulders profile symbol by threads I've posted in.  In the IPS Default, it's a star.  A little less intuitive, but still there.  This is all at the show forum level (like the page that shows all the Jeopardy threads).  I never had anything like that on the main forums page, in any theme.

11 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

I've had trouble all day getting to Primetimer Forums on my iPhone.  It's fine on the Kindle and the PC, but the iPhone keeps getting a message re: the server.  I don't remember exactly what it says. Anyone else with similar difficulty?

I don't know if this is the same thing I've been experiencing (posted in the bugs thread a few days ago) but I've been playing browser bingo for almost a week now, on both iPhone and Win10 desktop.  I can see the main forum page in any browser, but can't open any shows that have a forum (I get "this content is not available - try later").  On my iPhone through trial and error (or maybe randomness), I'm able to access things correctly in the Firefox browser.  Still not Safari or Chrome, last I checked.  So maybe try a different browser on your phone?

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Moose135 said:

That's been reported in the Site Update Issue thread. I guess it's one more thing they have to fix...

I had read that, but even post update, all my notifications were like in the pre update days. Till last night.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

This is all at the show forum level (like the page that shows all the Jeopardy threads).  I never had anything like that on the main forums page, in any theme.

I just checked both theme views. I post in shows found in Other Competitive Reality & Game Shows, it's a second page to the Competitive R&G Shows. The head-and-shoulders icon is still there in the Light view for shows I post in, and a star is used in the IPS theme for shows I frequent. These aren't used on the main page (I don't remember them ever being there) but they are still on the "Other" supplemental pages. All of those shows just have one thread. Shows with multi threads like Jeopardy, I can see the "posted in" icons on the separate threads in both views.

At least on my computer/browser! YMMV!

13 hours ago, opus said:

Just got a giant selfie notification from our friend  @saber5055.

HOLY CR*P! It's that damned poltergeist that lives with me, I swear I didn't do that on purpose.

(Heh heh, maybe I did.)

BOO! I'm back Opus!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I just checked both theme views. I post in shows found in Other Competitive Reality & Game Shows, it's a second page to the Competitive R&G Shows. The head-and-shoulders icon is still there in the Light view for shows I post in, and a star is used in the IPS theme for shows I frequent. These aren't used on the main page (I don't remember them ever being there) but they are still on the "Other" supplemental pages. All of those shows just have one thread. Shows with multi threads like Jeopardy, I can see the "posted in" icons on the separate threads in both views.

At least on my computer/browser! YMMV!

Yep that matches what I’m seeing, although I didn’t describe it as thoroughly. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:
15 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

I don't know if this is the same thing I've been experiencing (posted in the bugs thread a few days ago) but I've been playing browser bingo for almost a week now, on both iPhone and Win10 desktop.  I can see the main forum page in any browser, but can't open any shows that have a forum (I get "this content is not available - try later").  On my iPhone through trial and error (or maybe randomness), I'm able to access things correctly in the Firefox browser.  Still not Safari or Chrome, last I checked.  So maybe try a different browser on your phone?

And now I’ve jinxed myself. I had been able to access the site on my desktop with Firefox, but that just stopped working for me. Even in a private browsing window, which had been working when nothing else did. I swear I’m not changing anything on my end! Aarrgg!!  So far Firefox on my phone still works but I expect that to flake out soon. 

6 minutes ago, opus said:

Now this time no giant pop up, just a regular notification.

Darn, my voodoo curse has worn off.

Meanwhile @Browncoat, I just got this email from Greenpeace: "Here's something great: today, April 25, is World Penguin Day! Around the world penguin lovers (like all of us at Greenpeace) are thinking about these little fellows down at the southern end of our planet. To celebrate, we're asking Greenpeacers like you: which is your favorite penguin? Click on the picture to choose your top penguin for 2021!"

I voted Chinstrap for you, Browncoat. (And you, Opus.)

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Darn, my voodoo curse has worn off.

Meanwhile @Browncoat, I just got this email from Greenpeace: "Here's something great: today, April 25, is World Penguin Day! Around the world penguin lovers (like all of us at Greenpeace) are thinking about these little fellows down at the southern end of our planet. To celebrate, we're asking Greenpeacers like you: which is your favorite penguin? Click on the picture to choose your top penguin for 2021!"

I voted Chinstrap for you, Browncoat. (And you, Opus.)

Thanks @saber5055, but my favorite is the Adelie!  Maybe I should change my avatar...

• Useful 1
15 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

, but my favorite is the Adelie!  Maybe I should change my avatar...

Well, crumb bums. So much for my long- and short-term memory since you posted about that recently. I have to stay with Chinstraps for the Greenpeace win now though. *sigh*

• LOL 2
10 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

...I don't know if this is the same thing I've been experiencing (posted in the bugs thread a few days ago) but I've been playing browser bingo for almost a week now, on both iPhone and Win10 desktop.  I can see the main forum page in any browser, but can't open any shows that have a forum (I get "this content is not available - try later").  On my iPhone through trial and error (or maybe randomness), I'm able to access things correctly in the Firefox browser.  Still not Safari or Chrome, last I checked.  So maybe try a different browser on your phone?

Using the “IPS Default” Theme I have no errors using Windows 10 with Chrome or iPhone 7+ OS 14.4.2 Safari. 

However, using the Dark or Light Themes looks like crap on my iPhone, with avatars in oversized placeholders and worse, a pop-up ad at the bottom that needs X-ing out every time a page loads:

image.png.abfa1a1c6939354caa22c90a9f5ba637.png

Edited by shapeshifter

Oh no, now it's happening to me! When I opened this window the entire page was taken up by @saber5055 's whole face. No offense intended but it scared me too much to do a screen shot. Then this one from @Good Queen Jane appeared.

notice.thumb.jpg.acfcd460f7b6bfe3160dc0f8b8deacb6.jpg

Now when I start typing someone's screen name, gigantic avatars appear. No names with them, just GIANT avatars, one at a time.

@saber5055 Like this one!

example.thumb.jpg.6b017f7dfe04e4196e7e33b43961795c.jpg

Here you go!  Tonight's Pink Moon

[img]https://photos.smugmug.com/PhotoADay/Photo-A-Day-2021/i-q3hwhHw/0/df0ac3b1/XL/JM_2021_04_26_Moon_002-XL.jpg[/img]

image.thumb.png.911620b91a4f863059c32063ae004a16.png

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 7

Our local weather girl had a hard time explaining that the moon won't be shaded pink; it'll be regular, moonshine white colored. It's just called pink for the pink flowers that are in bloom this time of the year. So it'll be regular moon-colored.  LOL.

Well, damn. NOW my notifications no longer have the giant avatars, but I'm getting the notifications of people's reactions that I was just bragging about not getting.  Man, that sure fills up the notification list.  I think I'm gonna diable all notifications.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Thanks @Moose135. Spectacular photo, but I expected no less from you. Moose, what camera gear/lens/settings do you use for these night shots? I'm was a film Pentax person but now have several Nikons, just to be different from everyone else who has Canon. My first boyfriend was a government photographer, plus shot for the local newspaper. He had Nikon and made fun of my "toy Pentax" cameras. I'm pretty sure that's why I went Nikon during the switch to digital. And yeah, that old boyfriend is still around!

Just FYI @Prevailing Wind, in June we will see the Strawberry Moon. Let us know how your weather person describes that one.

• Love 1

Hey @Moose135, do you know about the Kelby Photo Walk, or have you been on one? I've been on several and finally won the last one I was on. The shot was a chance one, right place at the right time. A woman and her daughter were walking on the dock when all of a sudden they did this and I got the shot.

ETA: Photo is looking upstream on the Mississippi.

kelbyWinner_sm.jpg.90233364d1cdf503bbafbd0bf95a0f2c.jpg

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5

Re: recent website update

It’s working for me on my iPhone! Haven’t had any notifications so don’t know if the avatar is still huge, but so far things seem to be working as intended.

• Love 1

I owe @Clanstarling a huge THANK YOU for pointing out the END and HOME keys on an extended keyboard. Now that they are dusted off and I can read them, I am teaching myself to use them as a habit now instead of scrolling. They even work in my DTP software (QuarkXPress), which amazes me. I can be down 15 pages and HOME takes me instantly to page one. Plus I'm using them on browser windows too, like this. Time saver, and I'm all for saving time.

Goes to show, even really old dogs can learn a new trick once in a while..

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
35 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I owe @Clanstarling a huge THANK YOU for pointing out the END and HOME keys on an extended keyboard. Now that they are dusted off and I can read them, I am teaching myself to use them as a habit now instead of scrolling. They even work in my DTP software (QuarkXPress), which amazes me. I can be down 15 pages and HOME takes me instantly to page one. Plus I'm using them on browser windows too, like this. Time saver, and I'm all for saving time.

Goes to show, even really old dogs can learn a new trick once in a while..

You're very welcome. I work on a computer all day long, and after a bout with carpal tunnel syndrome, I learned to use as many keys as I could. Using the mouse for menus and scrolling just killed me. I've had young'ns laugh at me, but I don't care.  I do things my way.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Clanstarling said:

I've had young'ns laugh at me, but I don't care. When my mouse goes out I can still get around.

I'm a quick keys person in the software I use constantly, Photoshop and QuarkXPress. When I was hired at the magazine, I took over teaching everyone in that Mac-based wing. I remember helping one of the editors with her layout. I told her to go ahead and print that page, and she moused up to Menu, File, then scrolled down to Print. I clued her that those symbols on the right side of the command were the quick keys and all she had to do was press Option P for print. Everyone was all amazed at my brilliance! Heh. Cheap thrills.

The only problem with using the HOME and END keys are, I have to either take my right hand off the mouse or use my left one that's propping up my head, elbow on the table. I could really use an Alien third arm/hand there in my middle.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

The only problem with using the HOME and END keys are, I have to either take my right hand off the mouse or use my left one that's propping up my head, elbow on the table. I could really use an Alien third arm/hand there in my middle.

You need a gripping hand. (ref: A Mote in God's Eye)

• LOL 1
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I'm a quick keys person in the software I use constantly, Photoshop and QuarkXPress....

5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I owe @Clanstarling a huge THANK YOU...

6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

You're very welcome. I work on a computer all day long,...

6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

...a college major in decorative illustration and career as a children's book illustrator....

I've

• illustrated a book that was recently published.
  • taught myself PhotoShop before there was Google or YouTube
  • often did tech support when I was on duty as a college reference librarian at night or weekends
  • have done HTML and CSS in my sleep and JavaScript while awake
  • etc. etc.

But I am totally stymied by my HP Printer no longer working wirelessly with my HP laptop (both HP printer and laptop are barely 2 years old)  since installing updates for both the printer and Windows 10. I suspect it's because HP and Microsoft don't communicate about each others' updates and that I'm not the only one irritated by my work flow being disrupted this way. I wanted to roll back my laptop to the time before I installed the updates, but it can't because I have my iCloud pictures linked to my Windows laptop and Windows hasn't prepared for that eventuality and so hangs up. I've communicated with HP and my ISP but probably it isn't worth the time to pursue it further (with Microsoft, for example, or even Googling how to unlink my laptop from my iCloud photos). 
I followed some suggestions from the HP tool and YouTube videos, to no avail.

So I'm going to have to plug in to use my scanner or printer. 

--unless any of you have any thoughts?

(edited)
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Yeah, get a Mac.

Heh. A new printer would be cheaper, but I resent being forced to send a 2-year-old printer to a landfill. Similarly, my last PC lasted 11 years. I don't think Macs do that. They really ought to start offering biodegradable casings, at least. I still have nightmares about chucking my 2nd Gateway CRT monitor and CPU tower into the dumpster in the early oughts (recent correct Jeopardy response term). At least laptops are smaller. *sigh*

Edited by shapeshifter
(edited)
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Heh. A new printer would be cheaper, but I resent being forced to send a 2-year-old printer to a landfill. Similarly, my last PC lasted 11 years. I don't think Macs do that. They really ought to start offering biodegradable casings, at least. I still have nightmares about chucking my 2nd Gateway CRT monitor and CPU tower into the dumpster in the early oughts (recent correct Jeopardy response term). At least laptops are smaller. *sigh*

Unfortunately, the IT guys I work with tell me printers are designed specifically to be not worth the effort (and money) to fix. :(

We have so much old tech hanging around in our house because there's no easy way to recycle them locally (even if I could pry them out of the mister's hoarding hands).

I work with HTML all day too - but Java and CSS escapes me. Fortunately (?) the web content management system we use doesn't require (or even allow) me to delve into anything but straightforward html fixes.

I was a librarian for a while. I loved the reference desk - those were the days just prior to the internet and you had to know your reference books. Though there was the creepy guy who used to ask questions in whispers so you'd have to lean forward - and then they'd be sex related (but pretty lame, nothing particularly shocking).

Edited by Clanstarling
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I have a 1992 Apple Powerbook. It still works, but about 3 years ago part of the screen started to dim, so we don't use it so much anymore. Still, 26 years is pretty darn good.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

I have a 1992 Apple Powerbook. It still works, but about 3 years ago part of the screen started to dim, so we don't use it so much anymore. Still, 26 years is pretty darn good.

And my OG version iPad Mini still functions perfectly too. But since Apple stopped updating it about 5 years ago, I'm not sure I would say it "works." It's more "retired." At least, Hulu is no longer employing it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Similarly, my last PC lasted 11 years. I don't think Macs do that.

"Think" being the key word in that statement. My Macs last forever, except for the one that got struck by lightning while I was working on it back in the day of dial-up so it was connected to my phone line. I've lost multiple phones to lightning strikes so I just buy cheap replacements. Anyway, the lightning blew the casing off the monitor (iMac) and also blew open my kitchen cupboard doors. I was lucky only the Mac died and not me.

Old Macs don't die, they just get out of date because of software/OS updates. I started using Mac Quark when it was in v.3. That had to be more than 30 years ago, back when DTP first started. We had one PC in the pre-press of the printer where I worked, just to process jobs from clients who used one. We laughed at Windows when it was first introduced (we had been working in DOS) as it was obvious the PC was trying to be like our Macs. Back then, a 250mb HD was HUGE! We would NEVER be able to fill up that gigantic drive.

I've had the same printer/scanner here since I started my own design business 15 years ago. Yeah, it's connected to Macs. That have been here even longer and still in use. My Macs are production Macs created for running high-end graphics software. No iPad Minis here. And all my printer requires is the proper driver installed for the Mac to talk to it. Not a problem.

I've pulled HDs from antique Macs, put them in a case and used them for external drives. Although old HDs are so small compared to the 3T backup drive I currently use with Time Machine.

I did all the Mac purchases/repairs/upgrades and maintenance when I worked at the magazine. The rest of the company was on PCs but the four IT guys knew nothing about the Macs so i kept the magazine Mac-using wing running. Never had a single Mac crash, go down or be infected unlike the PCs, which kept those IT guys in full-time jobs.

• Love 3