Type keyword(s) to search

"The Daily Show": Week of 2/9/15

To which the interviewer said something to the effect, "Well why do you think people are on that show?  To be screwable."  Fuck you, Daily Show.

This is one reason why I don't have a lot of patience with comedy writers/shows. There is a lot about fat shaming, body shaming, disability shaming, or anything that a lot of times is not 1. reason for shame, 2. lazy writing, 3. part of people's identity or something that people cannot/don't want to control/change. Anything that is not their norm, is a reason to shame people who don't look like them.

I am generalizing I know, but it really gets old. One day they ride the high horses, the next day they go for the cheap laughs

• Love 4

It's funny that when Jon said "Did I die?" that's exactly what I was thinking as I looked at various articles yesterday.

Ha, that's what I thought as well. And then I started wondering what people will say when he's actually leaving. They've already written all there is to write.

WTH Alabama and Kansas? They always say people who don't learn from history will be doomed to repeat it. I fully expect to hear complaints about States rights next. Also, brownbacking has already been taken up, but I'm sure it can use a few more definitions.

TNS criticism aside, which I do think is justified, I highly doubt there was any malice within the TDS Biggest Loser joke. It's a correspondent piece and he's pretending to play devil's advocate to the reasonable side, he's supposed to sound ignorant.

I mean, it was right off telling the kid who got 2 girls pregnant in high school that he knew all about sex ed. *shrugs* Jordan's character is pretty frat boyish dumb and from what I'm seeing here, he's doing a good job. Just like Jason's when he's abroad is "dumb American (even though he's Canadian)". I think it was hilarious that woman was advocating the parents teaching their kids sex ed, when she couldn't answer the type of questions those kids had herself. Also, who the hell wants to ask their religious leader any of that stuff?  I don't think any religious school teaches pathology or microbiology. I feel bad for kids who go through school without sex ed. We had different "levels" at 5th grade, 8th grade, and 12th grade (all requiring parents permission of course). The 5th grade one section involved coloring in diagrams of the penis, clitoris, and ovaries - but the pictures had to be kept locked up in the back of the classroom when we were done. Growing up, I never realized how liberal my school district must have been.

Colin Firth is all sorts of fantastic. But the chance of me seeing his movie is nil. Though I think it's funny that Jon made the kick-ass franchise joke, because Matthew Vaughn directed the Kingsfoil movie and the first Kick-Ass one.

• Love 1
The lady who was against sex ed got on my nerves, too.

Ugh, Princeton Mom. She thinks the way for college women to avoid getting raped is to not get drunk. She's an asshole and a disgrace to humanity.

Colin Firth is so dreamy. He's got that silver-fox Cary Grant in glasses thing going on that is WORKING. His movie looks dumb, but whatever.

• Love 4

I honestly don't remember what sex ed I got in my school. My mother was a nurse, which was awful because I learned about periods when I was 10. I do remember some very good parenting: if you get anyone pregnant, we will physically kill you. 

Princeton mom is a terrible person. It's not just the "I don't know", it's how unrepentant she was about it. Then the brush off, with go see your rabbi. What if you think you're gay? I'm sure going to church will help. 

And "kids want to know about sex." Well, duh. Isn't curiosity a good thing?

Why, why why why when these reprehensible people pull out the "if gays can get married than parents will marry their kids" *ever* get called on this? What is your reasoning? Where has this occurred? They say it like their reasoning it out. Take me through that thought process, please. 

I also like when they drop the "deeply held" religious beliefs chestnut. Oh, sorry, did you say deeply held? Then, by all means, please deny legal American citizens equal protection under the law. I didn't know they were deeply held. 

Stop letting people get away with this by letting them hide behind a religious shield. Invoking religion is not an immunity against criticism. This has absolutely nothing to do with religion. 

• Love 8

I do remember some very good parenting: if you get anyone pregnant, we will physically kill you.

Hee! Mine was shouted across a room while I was passing through to the kitchen: "Do NOT come running to me all 'heat of the moment!" I will take you to the GYN to get birth control!" Seriously, it was out of the blue. My mom must have been stewing over the idea for an hour, while I was blissfully upstairs listening to records. As for the plumbing aspect of things, she was a librarian. We had books. With diagrams. :)

• Love 1

Well, here's how I look at it: for essentially my entire life I have been a size and shape encouraged and approved of by society, so whereas the jokes never land with me, they also don't hurt my feelings.  I try to imagine what it would have been like had I grown up in the era where it was fully open-season on my gender though.  I've seen clips of "comedy" from the forties, fifties and sixties that really belittled and demeaned women, pretty much constantly and it bugged the ever-living hell out of me to watch that.  So I do have some frame of reference for how much it would suck to turn on the TV and have to endure a constant barrage of insults about your body, your person, your appearance and your very worth being somehow defined by that.  

It sucks.  The Daily Show isn't overly prone to it, thank goodness and it was one remark where Jordan Klepper is basically being what Stephen Colbert used to be: a satire of a particular type of guy that is just a jackass.   

Larry Wilmore's show the other day was pretty freaking horrifying.  This was far less so and it was making a particular point, but here's the gig: not that long ago racially based humor was thick on the ground in the world of comedy.  Not really within my lifetime, but just prior to it and just like all the "Women drivers, Ladies are Dingbats, Isn't it cute to Infantilize women? Say goodnight, Gracie!"  went the way of the Dodo because it was marginalizing and insulting huge swaths of the population and was rightly deemed too offensive to engage in as a practice...it's just not that friggin' difficult for comedians to recognize and put into practice "Hey, you know what?  This isn't okay.  I'm taking this out of my act."  

I personally think that that particular train needs to leave the station permanently, because unlike political satire that targets people willfully believing things that simply are not true, to the detriment of others, fat jokes are just ass mean to people who are sitting at home, not harming anyone and being attacked -- pretty much every hour of the day that they turn on the TV for no other reason than comedians aren't trying to be any better.  We've taken a lot of stuff out of the "this is acceptable in the mainstream" pool and all the cracks about the worth of people based on their size needs to join that pool.  

That's clearly just my opinion on that, but when I try to imagine what it is like to be sitting down to watch a show that is supposed to be fun and it's a constant gauntlet of shit-aimed-at-me?  Yeah, I wouldn't find it innocuous or harmless even when it is to the small degree Jordan Klepper just displayed, because it's constant.  I notice it even though it isn't aimed at me and I wonder, hey, how many times does it just sail right by me because that punch won't land in my stomach? I'm guessing fairly often.  

Now, that all said, I thought Jon did great work last night and he made me laugh aloud more than once.  It was fun to see, but also a reminder of why I'm going to miss Jon Stewart.  

Also, what the ever living hell, Kansas?  Seriously.  What.the.hell?  State-sanctioned harassment and discrimination? For shame and oh, by the way, every time I drive through Kansas I stop at a hotel along I70 for the night. It never ceases to crack me up that -- without fail -- there are a list of at least ten churches listed in the "local attractions" (Salina and Hays eliminate the middle-man there and just have a section for "houses of worship" ) and yo, not to rain on your corn parade there, Jayhawks, but discrimination and harassment is actually not one of the teachings that you are so anxious to impart even via the Hampton Inn folder of God.   

I do remember some very good parenting: if you get anyone pregnant, we will physically kill you.

As opposed to murder by thought power which I'm sure would have also been contributed to that effort.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 5

You know who did this years ago?

stillshimpy

it's just not that friggin' difficult for comedians to recognize and put into practice "Hey, you know what?  This isn't okay.  I'm taking this out of my act."

Craig Ferguson.

ETA:  I have no idea why a simple link turns in to a picture like that.  Sorry.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 1

Oh hey, by the way, The Moment of Zen and the Vermont Teddy Bear Fifty Shades of Gray (with accessories) has been almost ceaselessly featured on NPR for the last two weeks.  It has been so incredibly bizarre in terms of juxtaposition.  NPR takes breaks and discusses upcoming shows and then the sponsors in between shows and segments.  Here one of the sponsors is Vermont Teddy Bear and the blurb features that Fifty Shades Teddy (and mentions the accessories). 

So I laughed my butt off at that moment of Zen, because last week this was how my drive during errands went:  Devastating report about the video of that Jordanian pilot being burned alive and people cheering it in the video.  A reporter was with his family when they got the news and they had just been discussing how he loved rabbits dearly and how worried his wife was about keeping them safe and well for his return.  

Now for a word about Kinky  Bears.  

Back to a report about Boko Haram's skirting the populated areas where they would encounter armed response and the devastating impact it has had on the poorer villages.  

But don't forget to buy your Valentine a Do-the-Nasty Themed Teddy Bear, because that's not in the least weird.  

Back with news about how anti-vaxxers could impact the public report.  

So I felt like the Moment of Zen was speaking directly to the surrealist audio festival that was public radio for the last fortnight.  Thank you, Daily Show, glad to know I'm not the only one saying a giant, "I...? Wha...? Vermont Teddy Bear, aren't you featuring anything other than a BDSM bear for Valentines??" 

I'm not suggesting that Craig Ferguson should take over TDS.  Personally, I think he's great for it but I'm not sure what he thinks.  Also, if looking for a European perspective, John Oliver already does exactly that with intent and talent.  

My response to Stewart's departure has more of a "deer in the headlights" effect.  For Colbert, I simply hid behind the sofa for a week and refused to come out.  Apparently, that's how I respond to "horror-despondency-loss of my meaning of mere existence."

So, I'll be over here behind the sofa.  Weeping.

(NB:  It's been over 72 hours and this is the first time I've been able to find the strength to even type a comment.)

• Love 2

To which the interviewer said something to the effect, "Well why do you think people are on that show?  To be screwable."  Fuck you, Daily Show.

I thought that line was to show that Jordan's persona was a douchebag. Every correspondent had a persona when doing interviews. I know that Steve Carell's persona was a dimwit.

I grew up in San Francisco, which is a definitely more progressive town, so I had sex ed right in the 6th grade.The childbirth video is still burned into my brain. I also had health class in high school. It was more clinical but definitely preferable to having your parents talk to you about it.

• Love 2

stillshimpy  - I'm with you on the NPR sponsorship thing.  I also heard the teddy bear thing right after the bit about the pilot and his love of rabbits and I was speechless for five minutes.  Who the hell is going to buy that? 

• Love 1

Princeton Mom is such an idiot.  "They don't want information, they want sex."  They can have sex without information!  They already are!  Which is the point!  You brainless twit!  I so wish Jessica had been the one sitting across from her.

The thing he lied about (if it was an intentional mislead or a trick of memory to which we are all subject) wasn't reportage, after all.

Yeah, this is where I'm at.  Memory is not that reliable, and subject to conflation.  Which is why journalists are supposed to get confirmation from multiple, independent sources.  (It's also one reason why eye witness testimony is unreliable, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.)

• Love 4

I think the point is not that he lied. TDS was trying to point out that these journalists are blurring the line between reporting the news and being part of the news.

All this screaming and yelling about "trust" is bs. The rest of the celeb journalists are just mad because it's harder for them now.

This is so ridiculous. How about we hold politicians to this standard too?

• Love 2

I did NOT like those glasses on Colin Firth.  I thought it made him look like Drew Carey.

My daughter resisted me teaching her about sex when I offered, and she didn't learn about it in school.  Now she's pregnant and unmarried.  Sigh.

That's clearly just my opinion on that, but when I try to imagine what it is like to be sitting down to watch a show that is supposed to be fun and it's a constant gauntlet of shit-aimed-at-me?  Yeah, I wouldn't find it innocuous or harmless even when it is to the small degree Jordan Klepper just displayed, because it's constant.

Along those lines, can we get rid of the Tv stereotype of bald-guy or dad-who is e/wimpy? Often accompanied by a poor moustache.