Type keyword(s) to search

NHL Thread

Madness
  • Start Topic

10 hours ago, xaxat said:

A Penguins' beat writer pointed out that as of this morning (Thursday), Pens fans know the Steelers' schedule running through next year but have no official notice of when the Pens will start the playoffs. Presumably this weekend.

Sunday at noon.  Can't wait.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I think it's hilarious that even the broadcast partners have kind of forgotten about the sponsored division names. 

Talk about money poorly spent.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, xaxat said:

I think it's hilarious that even the broadcast partners have kind of forgotten about the sponsored division names. 

Talk about money poorly spent.

It'll always be the Gord Downie Memorial North Division to me. 

1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Tis the season of hoping your team's next round bracket plays a series of 8 OT games!

Holy crap, I can't believe how many games have gone to OT. And I have to admit I was more than a little pleased that the  Bruins/Crapitals went to  double  OT.

• Love 2

Today Zach Wilson and a couple of his Jets team mates were at the Penguins/Islanders game. I wonder if he was like "Wait, where are we going?" as the Manhattan skyline disappeared in the rear view mirror.

I think the general opinion is that a football QB is the most important position in sports. 

But having a hot goaltender in the playoffs is like having a super hero. Surokin was great.

As a Penguins fan, that was so disappointing. 

• Love 2
(edited)
34 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I think the general opinion is that a football QB is the most important position in sports. 

But having a hot goaltender in the playoffs is like having a super hero. Surokin was great.

As a Penguins fan, that was so disappointing. 

After the way they blew thru the last half of the season, I expected more.  They just broke down and Jarrey, unfortunately, didn't have the chops.  Maybe he needs seasoned?  Fleury was notoriously bad in the playoffs in the beginning.

But at least the Caps are out.

Edited by madmax

Anyone else hate Pierre McGuire and just shake their head in confusion and disgust when he's commentating? It seems an almost unifying thing across NHL fans. In fact, I named my new Litter-Robot 'Pierre' and often tell the cats 'Go shit in Pierre!!'

Anyway, I'm pulling for the Avs and I'm also pulling for the Wild to knock Vegas out of the first round. Because of the online comic 'Check Please' my sister and I refer to Vegas as 'the fucking Aces' and while I'm not afraid of the Avs beating them, I just really would get pleasure out of them getting booted in the first round of playoffs.

• LOL 1
On 6/27/2021 at 1:12 AM, Moose135 said:

I'll miss it...loved going to see the Isles play in the Old Barn.

I used to go to 4-5 Islander games a year with my Dad. This was roughly '75-'83. Good times. 

Also got to see the Nets with Dr. J quite a few times. Loved the ABA.

• Love 1

Not sure what to expect from the Habs tonight, but I'm excited to see what they can do.  The first game against Vegas was their worst of the series, but the coaching team has been great at making adjustments so far.

Go Tampa.  Only since I'm not picking the Habs to win.  Though I should root for Montreal to avoid a new back-to-back champion.

Nonetheless, I like Tampa to repeat regardless of if they do it in 4, 5, 7 or even six games.  I think Montreal was tested in the best way possible, based off of who or what their competition turned out to be.  I don’t know or think it’s enough, and you could see them getting blown out of the final.

If I had to choose a length for this series, I think the Lighting wins it in 6.  Assuming they hold at home, the Canadians need to steal a game on the road, obviously.  I really only see Tampa winning on the road; even if Montreal can steal a game, Tampa too much that they can rather easily steal 2 games on the road.

Carey Price is a big deal, and his team plays the type of game that can drive people crazy (similar to New York).  Of course it took the Lightning 7 games to close out the Islanders, so while they’re prepared to beat the Canadians, they might struggle doing so.  In fact, they might not win the series, but I think they will.  Their goaltender in Vasilevskiy is a nice asset which may result in Montreal finding it impossible to have any success in the Stanley Cup Final

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/31764017/columbus-blue-jackets-goalie-matiss-kivlenieks-24-dies-tragic-accident%3fplatform=amp

Blue Jackets goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks has died at 24 after being struck by a errant firework. Originally it was reported that he was in a hot tub and and slipped and hit his gead in concrete trying to escape the firework but later the Medical examiner clarified that the firework hit Matiss in the chest causing his death.

This is unbelievably sad. 

Awful news.  Someone mentioned elsewhere that they should ban fireworks.  I don't think he meant overall (including the main stuff shown for Macy's or for one's local & official celebration within a city); if so I'll disagree.

However, regardless of whether it was the original story or the official one, I agree that it should be banned for "amateurs" and/or civilians.  It's really unnecessary and while people might disagree stating it's one guy; it really isn't.  This is not unprecedented, and it's a problem (while uncommon overall, one that leads to bad news and tragedy more than it needs to be).

Maybe treat it like most things where it's banned unless one gets proper training and a license to where they're permitted to set off fireworks in one's own backyard.  It will not be easy to mandate but I don't think it'll be difficult either

• Love 1
(edited)

I agree with banning fireworks except for an official event. My neighbors were having a party and were setting off a bunch a few houses down. I was worried it would hit a house (they didn't) or hurt themselves. But I will say another reason was it scared the crap out of our dogs. They were shacking and barking. The rescue ran into the closet :(. 

Edited by blueray

A couple of days ago, Mike Lange retired from announcing. For over forty years, he was the voice of the Penguins. Not only was he a great announcer, he was hilariously entertaining. In the pre-Lemieux era, he was the only reason to pay attention to the Pens. It was also before hockey was a televised sport so his radio call was the only way to follow the team. 

To use a Lange-ism.

"Ladies and gentleman, Elvis has left the building."

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1

Season opener!

It's kind of funny how hard ESPN is working to convince people that they are all in for the NHL as if we don't remember the years when Barry Melrose was the only one they had on staff who could talk about the sport.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

It's kind of funny how hard ESPN is working to convince people that they are all in for the NHL as if we don't remember the years when Barry Melrose was the only one they had on staff who could talk about the sport.

True! I am a casual hockey fan but I am excited for the NHL season. I am also one of the few people who didn't mind the puck tracker experiment from eons ago. Mark Messier and the commissioner Gary Bettman were on Get Up this morning so maybe ESPN will put more effort into covering the NHL this go round. Although that will be difficult with the NFL, College Football, Post season baseball, the NBA and College BB around the corner.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, bosawks said:

I am really torn between watching the Flyers play the Devils tonight or repeatedly poking my eye with a sharp stick..........

Poking your eye out might me more enjoyable.

I can't believe how bad the Flyers are. I know they are missing guys from injury but these losses are so ugly.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, shoregirl said:

Poking your eye out might me more enjoyable.

I can't believe how bad the Flyers are. I know they are missing guys from injury but these losses are so ugly.

23 hours ago, bosawks said:

I am really torn between watching the Flyers play the Devils tonight or repeatedly poking my eye with a sharp stick..........

Should have chosen the stick.

• LOL 3
8 hours ago, xaxat said:

Arizona Coyotes face Dec. 20 eviction from Gila River Arena over unpaid taxes, fees; club cites 'human error'

I assume they will come to some kind of deal, but how on earth did a professional sports franchise let it get to this point?

They have been at odds for a while now. About a year ago, they were late on rent payments to the city of Glendale. The city had already ended negotiations on a lease extension and announced they would evict the team when the lease expires at the end of this season. They performed an economic impact study and determined the city could make as much from 20 concerts as 40+ Coyote games. Coyotes owner Alex Meruelo is still trying to see what city he can extort a new arena from, as it looks like they won't be back in Glendale next season.

• Useful 1

I knew it was going to happen, it probably needed to happen but I still  was not prepared for Giroux to be traded.

Goodbye G I wish you the best.

Edited by bosawks
  • Love 2

OK there is a mole for the Penguins working the ESPN broadcast. At least two times they have used the Styx song Renegade as transition music to a commercial break. Renegade is the fourth quarter hype song for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

I'm not complaining.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 5/3/2022 at 8:24 PM, xaxat said:

OK there is a mole for the Penguins working the ESPN broadcast. At least two times they have used the Styx song Renegade as transition music to a commercial break. Renegade is the fourth quarter hype song for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

I'm not complaining.

And "Party Hard," the Pens goal song, used in the ad for the NHL playoffs.  But only a Pens fan who had been to The Paint Can would know that. 

Pulling for the Avs. They just swept Nashville and now move on to their most recent nemesis: the second round.

We're either going up against the Wild or the Blues but, you know, the team is healthy (for a change) and the trade additions that were made I think were great. But let's see what happens!

• Love 1
On 5/3/2022 at 7:08 PM, Colleenna said:

I'm  really going to need a defibrillator for this one.  LGP!

I have come up with some amazingly creative swear words during this series.  Up 2 games to none and suddenly it's tied at 3 games apiece. 

Did you know that "mother" is only 1/8 of a word?🤬🤬🤬