Type keyword(s) to search

"The Daily Show": Week of 2/2/15

2/2: Martin Short (comedian & author – promoting book “I Must Say: My Life As a Humble Comedy Legend”)
2/3: Bill Browder (author – promoting book “Red Notice: A True Story of High Finance, Murder, and One Man's Fight for Justice”)
2/4: Wes Moore (author – promoting book “The Work: My Search for a Life That Matters”)
2/5: Bob Odenkirk (actor – promoting TV show “Better Call Saul”)

• Love 1

Sorry you feel upset about the Patriots winning yesterday, Jon. Some of us (who managed to win $1,500 from a Super Bowl pool) were quite pleased with the outcome. :D

Don't worry, Bacon Shrimpy. Some of us love you just the way you are - which is delicious! Mick Huckabee is just a stupid douchenozzle pandering to his base.

Martin Short is a Canadian treasure. Nothing more to add.

• Love 4

I'd love it if no one ever mentioned this Super Bowl again, since it will probably take me the rest of my life to get over it.

I caught tonight's show for the first time in what seems like eons and has been at least a couple of weeks, and it confirmed that I just don't care for Jordan Klepper.  They all have dud segments, and I'm sure he's had some great ones I'm forgetting or haven't seen, but it seems like whenever I do see him I either hate the segment (e.g. the atheist protesting the "say a prayer, get a discount" deal) or, more often, just shrug (e.g. tonight).

Jon railing at Huckabee's lunacy was quite enjoyable, though.  And now I really want some bacon-wrapped shrimp.

• Love 4

Oh man, I started getting the vapors for tomorrow's guest until I reread it and saw it's going to be BILL Browder, not Ben Browder.  Bill, I'm sure you're cool too.

Loved the MOZ. "Don't hold your breath."

I enjoyed Jordan's segment. Yeah, it wasn't about anything important, but I thought he did a good job.

I'll have to watch the extended interview. I like Martin Short.

Bastet, I see your reasons and respect that, and sure Jordan (My 'Snowshake') Klepper may have lured in a pointless topic, but he does make the obvious point that China is way ahead of us. Magic is no exception. Besides Copperfield (shame-shame for plugging his Vegas show, but more importantly STEALING the Hollywood theater from my precious Drew Carey and Whose Line), is there anyone else still relevant in the magic world? And no, Criss Angel's weird hair doesn't count. I still love Klepper.

Such a shame Jonny-bun didn't spend tonight talking about this year's Super Bowl commercials. On a lighter note, I guess that means this year's game was successful enough to be off the hook. For now. (still begrudged the Seahawks lost, and I'm not even a sports fan).

Edited by The Luvly Junkie

Why doesn't anyone call out people who use the bible to cite anything? Because 99% of the time it's wrong. I'm so sick and tired of religion being this third rail. There was in fact a new book that came along. That guy, Jesus, you know him? His whole spiel was preaching a "new testament" to renew the covanent; i.e., the old stuff doesn't apply anymore. "Because the bible" isn't an argument. It's an excuse for you being an asshole. 

• Love 7

And not for nothing, but reviling a thing (bacon-wrapped shrimp) is a WHOLLY DIFFERENT FUCKING THING than denying civil rights to an actual person, who may not give two flying fucks for your holy book, but that isn't even the point, since our constitution is based on freedom of religion ANYWAY. People have secular rights, whether Huck's book likes it or not. ARGHHHH!

I know, he's already lost that war and these are the desperate whines of the losing side, but for fuck's sake, won't he shut up?!?

• Love 6

And not for nothing, but reviling a thing (bacon-wrapped shrimp) is a WHOLLY DIFFERENT FUCKING THING than denying civil rights to an actual person, who may not give two flying fucks for your holy book, but that isn't even the point, since our constitution is based on freedom of religion ANYWAY. People have secular rights, whether Huck's book likes it or not. ARGHHHH!

I know, he's already lost that war and these are the desperate whines of the losing side, but for fuck's sake, won't he shut up?!?

see there! even ladies cursing when they watch new york based show! Or may be its the hypocrites that cause the swearing?

The thing that gets me about the "shrimp and pork are also called abominations" is that its old.  It's played out.  The Right Wing don't give a shit.  You can point out the shrimp and pork thing 'til you're blue in the face, and they won't care.

• Love 1

You don't want to vaccinate your children from measles? Fine. Don't take them out of your houses, you fucking, no nothing imbecils! Human ignorance will doom us yet

I like Jordan. He made me laugh with his face covered in fake blood while holding the decapitated head of a groundhog doll. Jordan brings plenty to the TDS table. BTW, kudos to the groundhog for biting the ear of that Wisconsin mayor.

• Love 4

People who refuse to vaccinate their kids are endangering their own children, as well as other people's kids. This should not be up for debate and should not be stood for. Anti-vaxxers are dangerous and stupid, and should not be indulged. I'm sorry, but the public health is more important than these ignorant parents "choice." They're choosing to endanger others, and I really don't think this should just be tolerated.

• Love 3

Usually Mike Huckabee challenges my physical well-being, because he makes me angry on a level I have difficulty articulating.  However, today from the very heart of the midwest, where I currently live in none other than St. Louis, where I am assuming my Bubba-cred would be absolutely assumed (if entirely incorrect) by one Mike Huckabee I have this to say, from my ladylike keyboard:  

You can kiss my fucking ass, Huckabee.  I beg your fucking pardon, you may kiss my lily white, so-called-trashy fucking ass if you think that I am going to allow you to define anything about me, my vocabulary , my existence, my views or my unwavering support of marriage equality.  You do not speak for me because of my geographical position on the planet and you have no invitation to attempt to do so.  

Also, I taught my son something really important: he was allowed to swear in front of me on the day he could define superfluous without consulting a dictionary.  I don't care if someone swears.  I concede that  it is helpful to have an extensive vocabulary if for no other reason than every now and then, it aids in telling the lumbering dinosaurs of the Earth, spouting their Biblical Hate Speech the explicit directions to hell and the many and varied reasons as to why they out to shuffle off to there.  

Incidentally my husband spends a great deal of time in board rooms of the midwest.  People say Fuck a lot.  Congratulations! You just told the people you are trying to woo that they are "trashy" well-fucking done!  Wooooo! 

Please go away and retire to the annals of all things antiquated, where you belong.  Also: Fuck.  Just because. 

I don't actually watch football, by the way.  I have seen several of the commercials though.  

Jordan's piece was okay, but everything he does still shows labor around the edges.  He's been very hit or miss for me and this neither hit, nor missed.  It was simply there, allowing me more time to contemplate how many times I could say fuck interspersed with words of a huge variety, just to fuck with Huck's fuckery a bit fucking more.  Also, you're superfluous, Huckabee.  Everyone but you seems to know it.  

Doo da, doo da.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 20

Tell us how you really feel about Mike Huckabee, stillshimpy. ;)

I like Jordan. What he brings to TDS is a controlled zaniness that I find funny and likeable. Last night, where his face and shirt were covered in fake blood and he was holding the severed head of a plush doll groundhog, Jordan made me laugh out loud at the end.

Edited by Victor the Crab
  • Love 3

I was actually put off by Jon Stewart giving Rand Paul crap over his opinion on vaccines because he is not a doctor and then going right ahead and giving his own very judgemental opinion on vaccines even though he is NOT A DOCTOR. I am a big supporter of herd immunity but didn't like how Jon claims that no one should take him seriously because it is a comedy show, then pushes his own standpoint in a non-comedy way.

I love TDS, but I don't care for his take on this subject, more than once. If it's comedy, don't make it a shame-fest for people who might have different medical beliefs than you, as though they are out to kill us.

I don't get my news from this show; however, I enjoy how it makes me look into things in greater depth while making me laugh. I think vaccinations are important, but maybe he could have delved into the flip side of it if he was going to go into the science.

• Love 1

There is no flip side on this issue. Anti-vaxxers are putting people's lives at stake and endangering everyone, their own kids and other people's. They should not be taken seriously, they should not be indulged. Period.

• Love 22

There is no flip side on this issue. Anti-vaxxers are putting people's lives at stake and endangering everyone, their own kids and other people's. They should not be taken seriously, they should not be indulged. Period.

I was only pointing out my dislike of the portrayal of the topic on the show. My intention was not to argue this in an inappropriate venue. Apologies if that is what came across.

Edited by stacey
Fixing quote
  • Love 1

I could hardly believe that congressman from Florida. He was cracking me up, but man, is he always like that?

I enjoyed Wes Moore. I particularly liked when he said something like in deciding what he wanted to do he looked at where his talents and the needs of the world overlapped.

I was actually put off by Jon Stewart giving Rand Paul crap over his opinion on vaccines because he is not a doctor and then going right ahead and giving his own very judgemental opinion on vaccines even though he is NOT A DOCTOR. I am a big supporter of herd immunity but didn't like how Jon claims that no one should take him seriously because it is a comedy show, then pushes his own standpoint in a non-comedy way.

I love TDS, but I don't care for his take on this subject, more than once. If it's comedy, don't make it a shame-fest for people who might have different medical beliefs than you, as though they are out to kill us.

I don't get my news from this show; however, I enjoy how it makes me look into things in greater depth while making me laugh. I think vaccinations are important, but maybe he could have delved into the flip side of it if he was going to go into the science.

Going after Rand Paul then is like going after the 1/5 dentist who would recommend chewing gum with sugar. You don't need the degree to challenge the stupidity of it. Rand Paul's stance comes from wanting to please his libertarian constituents and voting base more than his medical background. Similar to how Andrew Wakefield's initial study was based on money and greed.

People who don't want vaccines in the US this day and age should be shamed. Unless there is a valid medical reason (ie. immunosuppression). There is no need to argue the flip side. It's like arguing against the climate change people, unless you're Bill Nye and can get publicity and paid to do it, it's pointless.  Your beliefs should not encrouch into anyone elses health and well being.

I did my pedes and family rotations in Florida and somehow ended up in a place where we basically had an anti-vaxxer ~1/week (which I found surprising actually, I thought it was more a niche thing). It was frustrating and every single reason we heard was just pure ignorance. It's a first world problem, unless you're in Afghanistan or Pakistan, then it's a fear of American influence/religious issue. It's embarrassing coming from a country that sees itself as a world power.

I wish other countries in Europe, Africa, Asia, etc... would quarantine flights coming in from the US because they don't want the dumb Americans' measles. Obviously it'll never happen, but imagine if it did. Or, imagine the newspaper write ups about the epidemic of an eradicated disease coming in from other countries. A fucking national embarrassment. No coddling needed.

Anyways, while I did find Klepper's magician segment to be kind of pointless, I did laugh when he repeatedly did tricks that just made the magician more irate. It was kind of funny. And so was his groundhogs day appearance.

I wonder how Jon is going to handle the Brian Williams thing, seeing how much Jon respect(ed) him.

Edited by maculae
  • Love 1

Going after Rand Paul then is like going after the 1/5 dentist who would recommend chewing gum with sugar. 

Yeah, who IS that one dentist?

Although I believe everyone should be vaccinated, shaming and yelling at anti-vaxxers is not going to get them to change their minds. I don't know what will.

• Love 1

Wes Moore was a great guest.

He certainly got me thinking. I started to think about what makes me passionate, but then it occurred to me that it might cut into my sitting-around-watching-tv time. Do NOT get in between me and the next episode of Agent Carter, is my point.

• Love 1

Yeah, I get the 'find what your passionate' about. That's kind of a platitude too. I have found it. I've sent out 100s of applications and I still haven't landed a full time job. I'm scraping by because I know if I just get any job I won't be that happy, but I'm running out of money, so life doesn't really give a fuck what I'm passionate about. I don't think it really applies to everyone and I think it's kind of an arrogant perspective honestly. I can see how it works for returning veterans who might not really have given thought to what's next. 

• Love 2

Very few people are lucky to have their passion, talent and money making opportunities line up nicely.

The middle ground is finding what you are good at and do not hate and will make you money and willl not do evil and do that as your day job so that you can indulge in your passion

• Love 4

Although I believe everyone should be vaccinated, shaming and yelling at anti-vaxxers is not going to get them to change their minds. I don't know what will.

I listened to a Freakonomics podcast about "why doesn't everyone get the flu vaccine" and one of the best ways to get participation is to offer a small reward.  Literally, people are more likely to get vaccinated if you offer them a chocolate bar while you inject them.

He certainly got me thinking. I started to think about what makes me passionate, but then it occurred to me that it might cut into my sitting-around-watching-tv time. Do NOT get in between me and the next episode of Agent Carter, is my point.

This always makes me think of Office Space where Ron LIvingston is like "what if all you want to do is sit on a beach all day?"  Because... me.

• Love 3

Usually Mike Huckabee challenges my physical well-being, because he makes me angry on a level I have difficulty articulating.  However, today from the very heart of the midwest, where I currently live in none other than St. Louis, where I am assuming my Bubba-cred would be absolutely assumed (if entirely incorrect) by one Mike Huckabee I have this to say, from my ladylike keyboard:  

You can kiss my fucking ass, Huckabee.  I beg your fucking pardon, you may kiss my lily white, so-called-trashy fucking ass if you think that I am going to allow you to define anything about me, my vocabulary , my existence, my views or my unwavering support of marriage equality.  You do not speak for me because of my geographical position on the planet and you have no invitation to attempt to do so.  

Also, I taught my son something really important: he was allowed to swear in front of me on the day he could define superfluous without consulting a dictionary.  I don't care if someone swears.  I concede that  it is helpful to have an extensive vocabulary if for no other reason than every now and then, it aids in telling the lumbering dinosaurs of the Earth, spouting their Biblical Hate Speech the explicit directions to hell and the many and varied reasons as to why they out to shuffle off to there.  

Incidentally my husband spends a great deal of time in board rooms of the midwest.  People say Fuck a lot.  Congratulations! You just told the people you are trying to woo that they are "trashy" well-fucking done!  Wooooo! 

Please go away and retire to the annals of all things antiquated, where you belong.  Also: Fuck.  Just because. 

I don't actually watch football, by the way.  I have seen several of the commercials though.  

Jordan's piece was okay, but everything he does still shows labor around the edges.  He's been very hit or miss for me and this neither hit, nor missed.  It was simply there, allowing me more time to contemplate how many times I could say fuck interspersed with words of a huge variety, just to fuck with Huck's fuckery a bit fucking more.  Also, you're superfluous, Huckabee.  Everyone but you seems to know it.  

Doo da, doo da.  

Holy shit, you hit the nail right on the head, stillshimpy!  I live in the St. Louis area, too, and the assumption that the flyover country is full of "bubbas" is insulting and classist on Huckabee's part.  It shows that Republicans (not all, but surely quite a few) see the south and the Midwest as filled with nothing more than ignorant hicks and those who live in the urban/suburban areas don't exist.

And my family swears all the goddamn time, but not around the baby.  At least, not yet.  Not until he's five.

So suck my St. Louis bi-state area balls, Huckabee!  With relish!

• Love 3

Antivaxxers are out to kill us, and by "us" I mean children who are too young and immunocompromised individuals who cannot get vaccinated.  I don't give a damn if some dumbfuck organic vegan hipster or dumbfuck redneck refuses to vaccinate their kid because CHEMICALS or FREEDOM and their kid gets sick and dies of complications.  It's not fair to the kid that they have shitty parents but there's the breaks.  The problem is that there are complete innocents in this matter, who cannot receive the proper vaccinations because of medical reasons, and when some asshole refuses to vaccinate their children those innocents are the real victims.

The science is conclusive: Vaccines work and are safe, with no long term side effects and only minor short term ones.  The only other arguments are CHEMICALS (American use of thimerosal, a preservative which contained trace amounts of mercury, was discontinued years ago greatly disadvantaging poorer countries who need cheap vaccines, and at any rate you'd receive a larger dose of mercury just from eating salmon), BUT IT'S NOT NATURAL (bullshit, immunization is incredibly "natural" because all it does is kickstart your body's own immune system to be on the lookout for that specific pathogen) and FREEDOM (also bullshit, and people who make this argument should feel free to throw themselves off a cliff).

When it comes to controlling childhood infectious disease, I'd trust pediatricians, public health experts, and epidemiologists over some random ophthalmologist who hasn't practiced in a decade.

Edited by Mars477
  • Love 13

And the other thing is that like Jon said, vaccines work to eradicate these diseases over the long term, but only if everyone does them. And we have proof that it worked when they announced that measles had been eradicated back in 2000! So, for these people to think their personal choice is not causing others harm is truly selfish and ignorant, and only a byproduct of the luxury of not knowing what these diseases look like anymore. People who suffer and die from these illnesses today in other countries wish they could have the ability to be worried about made-up, bullshit effects that vaccines might (and don't actually) cause for people.

It's just so ridiculous. I cannot respect these people's choices- they're actively out to harm others through their ignorance and delusions. And they want to bring back a problem we had gotten rid of! They're idiots!

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 4

Never thought much of Chris Christie to begin with, but holy shit what a selfish luxury sponge that doofus is. Does this guy even get re-elected in New Jersey after this?

What a petty little asshole John Boehner is. He's going to have egg on his face for inviting Benjamin Netunyahu to address Congress

Better Call Saul looks interesting. Is it supposed to be a comedy or a drama? I never really followed Breaking Bad, so I don't know.

• Love 1

Yeah, who IS that one dentist?

I figure that's the dentist who goes "Fuck no, don't chew gum that only wears down your teeth."

Better Call Saul looks interesting. Is it supposed to be a comedy or a drama? I never really followed Breaking Bad, so I don't know.

Most likely it's a little of both. The thing about Breaking Bad was it was really funny even though it was also a really dark drama that didn't go darkety-dark. It's hard to explain, because there was a strange balance to it but the Breaking Bad pilot was funner than I would have expected.

Wake me up until Boehner's Speaker of the House position is up for grabs again. Also, Jonny-bun's Middle East Policy Discussion phone line feels reminiscent to Colbert's Atone Phone. Only without Rosh Hashanah limiting the period of time.

I'm guessing the Moment of Zen won't be displayed in its entirety anywhere, not even the Internet. I would really love to hear a taping report about the Mission Continues Winner Interview. I'm intrigued how it all went.    

I also took the time to watch Bob Odenkirk's interview. Nothing classier than a man in a gray camp tie.

Edited by The Luvly Junkie

I am going to call Jon's bullshit on vaccines because he is not the best person to call anti-vaxxers bullshit.

Jon supports the biggest organization purporting to advocate "for autism" and said organization is anti-vaccine (even though they have changed their statement in the last couple of weeks to "parents please vaccinate" - they cannot be accused at not being good at marketing), and spends millions of dollars in research that includes the effects of vaccines in children and the correlation between vaccines and autism. Their co-founder was in a congressional hearing supporting this view.

The "Night of Too Many Stars" thing that Jon so enthusiastically hosts? The organization benefiting from it (and that distributes the money raised) is kind of a spin off of the other organization, with another co-founder in its board.

As much as I love seeing anti-vaxxers being made fun of, I would rather see Jon taking a stand against organizations that have a lot of clout in the media and in congress.

• Love 1

Jon supports the biggest organization purporting to advocate "for autism" and said organization is anti-vaccine (even though they have changed their statement in the last couple of weeks to "parents please vaccinate" - they cannot be accused at not being good at marketing), and spends millions of dollars in research that includes the effects of vaccines in children and the correlation between vaccines and autism. Their co-founder was in a congressional hearing supporting this view.

The "Night of Too Many Stars" thing that Jon so enthusiastically hosts? The organization benefiting from it (and that distributes the money raised) is kind of a spin off of the other organization, with another co-founder in its board.

Then what organizations do you think should be benefiting? A large one with some clout and far reaching to ensure the money is indeed going to programs that'll help families/kids.

Maybe NYCA was spun off because people disagreed with some of the initial stances of Autism Speaks.

Perhaps funding all the research was a good thing, since every single paper that has come out supports the lack of correlation of vaccines and autism.

Autism Speaks does not use the money to benefit families or Autistics (less than 4% is for family services). Most of the money is used in research towards eliminating Autistics through selective abortion, in executive salaries (average 400,000.00) and in advertisements that call Autistics not only burdens on the country, but also compare them to "lepers" and "changelings" (yes, they still do that). 

They also exclude any Autistic input on anything and support not only compliance based "treatment" but also electric shocks of Autistics and other disabled people as a form of "therapy", something that is torture.

If NYCA disagrees with A$, why is the co-founder of A$ in their Board of Directors?

The research does show that the correlation is bogus but this does not stop A$ from telling lies. 

Just pointing put that Jon should know who he supports before claiming - even if correctly -  that anti-vaxxers are so far out there.

What a petty little asshole John Boehner is. He's going to have egg on his face for inviting Benjamin Netunyahu to address Congress.

I do hope this somehow backfires. The PM should know better. 

I found the whole Netanyahu ad on YouTube. It's really bizarre. (I did get a chuckle out of the "Bibi-sitter" remark, since my dog is named Bibi -- not named after the PM -- and my husband and I refer to our dog-sitter as our "Bibi-sitter.") I suspect that any U.S. candidate who tried to make an ad like this would be automatically branded unpresidential, though of course conservatives in the U.S. are raving about the ad.

• Love 1