Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I did like the Sitter Next Door, or whatever the gay brother babysitter movie was called, but talk about contrived.  The grandparents were away just before Christmas for a off-the-grid fishing trip and an art retreat in Italy? 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 1

Looks like Hanukkah on Rye was one of the most talked about movies in this thread.  Seconded by The Spectacular Christmas (Rockettes movie).  Turns out both were written by the same screenwriter.  She's been very prolific on this channel.  Julie Sherman Wolfe.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
15 hours ago, voiceover said:

Huh.  I’ve already seen it twice plus they’re screening it again Thursday (and last year’s Eight Gifts of Hannukah is on the late night schedule tonight).

Oh, and this new format?  Sucks.

Re: the format.......I wish the text was darker for one thing. The sometimes blue back round makes it even more difficult to read the text. I have the text size at the "larger" setting.

22 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

I hear Montreal bagels are delicious in their own unique way, made somewhat sweet with the addition of honey.    

What is with this huge white space after this post? What is with this forum's new format?

7 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Something I never understood about that plot line, was why his foster father couldn’t adopt him? (It was written as if he really wanted to)

Usually in stories like that, the foster parent doesn’t meet the income requirements or something, but they didn’t even explain it! Was this a “in Hallmark land, single men cannot adopt children” type situation?

I just had an ephiphany-- Hallmark Christmas movies are supposed to be fantasies which accounts for the unbelievable, odd storylines and over-the-top acting. 

• LOL 3

Re: New Format

I just changed the text size to "largest" and I think I will keep it this way. It is a bit easier to read, given the text is so light.

Also.......since yesterday, a new setting was added to the text size. It is called "Embiggened". I clicked on it but it didn't do anything to the text. ???????????

To use the edit.......click on the three dots in the upper right of the compose box. You will find EDIT and SHARE there.

Edited by luvthepros
  • Like 1
20 hours ago, bankerchick said:

Oh yes, nothing worse than a Hallmark handsome man in a movie 😉. If it weren't for hot men, I wouldn't even watch.  It's not like the female acting or the scintillating dialogue or genuinely intriguing stories are drawing me in.

20 hours ago, bankerchick said:

Oh yes, nothing worse than a Hallmark handsome man in a movie 😉. If it weren't for hot men, I wouldn't even watch.  It's not like the female acting or the scintillating dialogue or genuinely intriguing stories are drawing me in.

The only ultimate draw for me is to literally count how many times characters use the word "Christmas". Sad to say it's how I get my Hallmark jollies.  Unfortunately I can't get excited over the guys because for the most part they all look alike, lol.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

I just read in our state newspaper that in January Bethany Joy Lenz and Kristoffer Polaha will begin filming a Christmas movie at the Biltmore House in Asheville.  Talk about eye-popping scenery!  A Biltmore Christmas

I'm sure Hallmark is capitalizing on the estate still being decorated for this Christmas season.  It's a fabulous house and is especially elegant during Christmas.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 5
On 12/19/2022 at 5:07 PM, twoods said:

This has jumped up to #1 on my favorite movie this holiday season.

This post was referencing Hanukkah on Rye and I just watched it and loved it!  I would definitely place this in my top 5.  

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Clawdette said:

I just read in our state newspaper that in January Bethany Joy Lenz and Kristoffer Polaha will begin filming a Christmas movie at the Biltmore House in Asheville.  Talk about eye-popping scenery!  A Biltmore Christmas

I'm sure Hallmark is capitalizing on the estate still being decorated for this Christmas season.  It's a fabulous house and is especially elegant during Christmas.

They must need the money (Biltmore). It’s a tourist trap far worse than Disney ever dreamed. Shabby, rushed, wait in the cold forever, endless overpriced commercial garbage with little history/exposition involved. (Not even interpretive written explanations). The endless human line is snaked through the home with no explanation or opportunity to ask questions or even a pause to take it in. Ended up very quickly outside again (freezing) to wander the grounds-wish I’d seen it in the growing season. Stables are renovated into overpriced shops with anything tangentially related to the era. They claim the family wanted a self-sustaining “estate”, and while in its time it may have been, little has been done to demonstrate that in the farm/dairy section-more overpriced sweet shops, restaurant, and a couple animals for show. I felt sorry for the animals. 

• Mind Blown 1
5 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Looks like Hanukkah on Rye was one of the most talked about movies in this thread.  Seconded by The Spectacular Christmas (Rockettes movie).  Turns out both were written by the same screenwriter.  She's been very prolific on this channel.  Julie Sherman Wolfe.

Spectacular Christmas gets a ZERO for the lack of historic accuracy. For shame, Ms. Wolfe.

• Fire 2
3 hours ago, Clawdette said:

I don't really know what Biltmore House is.  I want to say I heard that name when I was a kid, about really rich people, like the Rockefellers, but I guess they had a big mansion and they left it to (the state?) to turn it into a tourist attraction?  

1 hour ago, Daff said:

They must need the money (Biltmore). It’s a tourist trap far worse than Disney ever dreamed.

Maybe it was nicer 50 or 100 years ago and at this point, should probably be torn down or massively renovated.  I have to think things would get shabby pretty quickly with hundreds of people traipsing through every day.

The Biltmore Estate still belongs to the descendants, the Cecil family (pronounced Ses-al, I believe.) It's the oldest privately owned home in the United States.  Daff mentioned that she would have liked to see it in warm weather and the gardens are beautiful.

When I watched The Guilded Age, I couldn't help but think about the race to build such opulent homes.  Of course, those were in New York while Vanderbilt decided to build in the mountains of North Carolina as a retreat.  With 250 rooms, it was quite a getaway site.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
11 hours ago, Clawdette said:

My husband and I visited The Biltmore Estate in January a few years ago. The volunteers were taking down the Christmas decorations but we still got to see many of them. It is a magical experience............. absolutely magical!

9 hours ago, Daff said:

They must need the money (Biltmore). It’s a tourist trap far worse than Disney ever dreamed. Shabby, rushed, wait in the cold forever, endless overpriced commercial garbage with little history/exposition involved. (Not even interpretive written explanations). The endless human line is snaked through the home with no explanation or opportunity to ask questions or even a pause to take it in. Ended up very quickly outside again (freezing) to wander the grounds-wish I’d seen it in the growing season. Stables are renovated into overpriced shops with anything tangentially related to the era. They claim the family wanted a self-sustaining “estate”, and while in its time it may have been, little has been done to demonstrate that in the farm/dairy section-more overpriced sweet shops, restaurant, and a couple animals for show. I felt sorry for the animals. 

WOW....that is not the memory I have from visiting the estate. Far from it.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Biltmore Estate is absolutely stunning. I don’t think it’s a tourist trap at all. It’s expensive to visit yes but it’s very clear that you are buying tickets to tour a grand home that is incredibly old and that’s exactly what you get when you arrive. 
I’ve toured it at least five times (I live in Asheville) and find something new to enjoy each time. My kids love it! They usually have a different theme each time you visit as well. One time I went it was Downton Abbey and they had costumes from the characters on the show on display, one time it was Titanic. Then they have the summer concert series and I saw Barry Manilow (I think it was him) outside on the grounds. 
I do wish it were easier for locals to be able to enjoy Biltmore Grounds and restaurants without having to pay the ridiculous price for entry but I digress. We have so many other beautiful places here that are free to enjoy beautiful views. 

The local news said they are having casting calls now for extras! 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
46 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

I just saw Love, Lights, Hannukkah and how did I miss seeing this one before?  Marilu Henner just is totally amazing and I loved the whole movie.  Definitely going on my "must rewatch" list!

I really enjoyed that one as well when it first aired. I ended up buying the DVD!

• Like 1

I'm just watching Jingle Bell Bride.  I really like both the leads and the story and quite like the movie, but I do have one question:  how do the moose know where to cross the road?  The guy literally stopped at the moose crossing sign and said 'you can never be too careful.'

• LOL 3
47 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

The guy literally stopped at the moose crossing sign and said 'you can never be too careful.'

Reminds me of this radio call in where some moron wanted deer crossing signs moved to areas with less traffic.

• LOL 5

Another one here who really liked Hanukkah on Rye! Yes, there was a lot of 'dial the 'Jewishness' up to 11', and overexplaining for the non-Jewish audience; but the best part for me were the two leads. My main takeaway is that Jeremy Jordan is a great leading man and needs to be in more things! This is the first time I've seen him in a rom-com type role, and I think he did great.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

We watched Haul Out the Holly last night and loved it! It was genuinely funny and all of the actors went all in on the goofiness. Lacey Chabert was perfect for the lead and I loved all of the actors who played her neighbors and goofy neighbors. Wes Brown was so charming but my favorite was in the beginning of the movie when they were showing the flashback and the little kids who played them as children were adorable! I wish they had shown one more flashback. 

I hope they show this movie every year. It is a nice break from the more serious and earnest romantic movies. I'm looking forward to trying to catch Hannukah on Rye sometime this weekend since so many people here have raved about it!

• Like 4
  • Love 1
On 11/26/2022 at 10:34 PM, MerBearHou said:

I loved Haul Out The Holly.  Funny and different. Wes Brown is one of my Hallmark favorites too.  Lacey and he were clearly having so much fun shooting this and their line deliveries were so quick and crisp.  The supporting cast was quirky and delightful and you had to keep an eye on their facial expressions even when they weren’t delivering lines.  The cameos by Kristoffer and Eric were yummy icing on the cake.  This one will be on repeat for me.  

ETA:  when Lacey was watching “Christmas in Vienna” and said “oh, I like that guy”.  I had to look up who she meant — it’s Brennan Elliott.  Another of the fun little Easter eggs.  

I’m watching it right now and am loving it. I have laughed out loud several times and I’m only 30 minutes in. I can tell this will be a favorite. I’m actually enjoying Hallmark movies more than Lifetime this year. 

• Like 6
41 minutes ago, DanaMB said:

I’m watching it right now and am loving it. I have laughed out loud several times and I’m only 30 minutes in. I can tell this will be a favorite. I’m actually enjoying Hallmark movies more than Lifetime this year. 

I've been watching Hallmark Christmas movies for years and I agree, the overall quality this season has taken a big step forward.  I'd also like to point out that Bill Abbott left Hallmark to start GAF about a year and a half ago; so it seems, if anything, his presence at Hallmark was holding the network back from producing higher quality fare.  This is probably the first Christmas season where most of the decisions concerning which films to finance and air were made by someone other than Abbott.  Just one more reason to be grateful this Christmas, IMO.

• Like 10

I just downloaded the Hallmark movie checklist app.  I only just saw it advertised on one of the movies I recorded a month ago.  This will really help keep track of the movies I want to watch.

I'm watching Haul out the Holly, but I'm not liking it much and will fast forward.  Too bad, as I like Lacey, and the great cast of character actors, such as Melissa Peterman, Peter Jacobson and Ned Tobolowsky. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 3

I was running some last minute errands and passed a display of Hallmark cards.  Staring right at me was a Christmas movie bingo card!  I wish I had taken a photo of it.  I can't remember who in this forum came up with her own bingo categories but I'm sure she had all of these covered.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

Merry Christmas and a blessed, happy and healthy New Year to everyone.

I was watching Haul Out The Holly last night (Hallmark should repurpose the title to Haul Out The Challah for 2023's Chanukkah movie)

Parents deceive overworked daughter into thinking she will be spending the holidays with them at the family home.   But they are actually flying down to Florida on the very day of her arrival to scope out a retirement abode.  As Lacey Chabert enters she sees Mom and Pop, in the middle of winter with snow on the ground, head for their waiting cab wearing short-sleeved tropical shirts, zero outerwear.

CLICK 

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
45 minutes ago, Bronx Babe said:

Parents deceive overworked daughter into thinking she will be spending the holidays with them at the family home.   But they are actually flying down to Florida on the very day of her arrival to scope out a retirement abode.  As Lacey Chabert enters she sees Mom and Pop, in the middle of winter with snow on the ground, head for their waiting cab wearing short-sleeved tropical shirts, zero outerwear.

Well, that part of the premise was stupid, but the movie itself was pretty funny.  And I am no fan of Lacey Chabert.

Merry Christmas, everyone.  I am expecting 15 people for dinner so really need to get off the computer and wash the floor and clean the bathrooms.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
Just now, bankerchick said:

Well, that part of the premise was stupid, but the movie itself was pretty funny.  And I am no fan of Lacey Chabert.

Merry Christmas, everyone.  I am expecting 15 people for dinner so really need to get off the computer and wash the floor and clean the bathrooms.

Agreed — Haul Out the Holly turned out to be a fun surprise of a movie for me.  Loved the humor and the lead and supporting cast were just terrific.  It’s one I’ll happily rewatch (and have).  Wes and Lacey were great together — great comedic timing — plus Melissa Peterman and Stephen Tobolowsky were quirky wonderful.

Merry Christmas, PrimeTimer friends!

• Like 6
3 hours ago, bankerchick said:

Well, that part of the premise was stupid, but the movie itself was pretty funny.

I didn't mind this - most of these movies don't really bear too much scrutiny in the "does this make sense?" department!  What bothered me was the house was a freaking mansion!  I mean seriously, Hallmark,  just how rich are we supposed to believe these people to be?  Well to do I can buy - verging on Richie Rich?  Not so much!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, bankerchick said:

Chabert is actually one of the very few Hallmark heroines I can stand to watch, but I found this one a real slog.  Go figure!  To be honest, I find most if not all of these holiday movies difficult to get through. 

What can I say?  I guess I'm more a Planes, Trains and Automobiles kind of girl, lol.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, bankerchick said:

Just curious.......what is it about Lacy Chabert that you are "not a fan"? Others on this forum have also voiced a negative opinion about Lacey Chabert so what is it about her or her acting that you find off putting?

I would have cleaned my bathrooms yesterday and would wash the floor when the guests are gone. LOL.

Edited by luvthepros
On 12/5/2022 at 4:04 PM, Elizabeth Anne said:

Ok I finished watching Undercover Holiday and I freely admit I fast forwarded through a lot of it which may explain that I missed something - but what the hell?  So she was never in any danger?  It was always the ex boyfriend wanting to deliver love notes to her?  Seriously?  Tell me I missed something because otherwise, jeeze!

I’m only 45 min in but as soon as the ex was on screen I figured it was him. 🙄

• Like 1
On 12/21/2022 at 1:17 PM, Elizabeth Anne said:

This post was referencing Hanukkah on Rye and I just watched it and loved it!  I would definitely place this in my top 5.  

Although it won’t make my Top Five of all time holiday movies, I too really enjoyed this one, and got misty eyed at how the two families were connected. And when Jacob was exclaiming about the crowd singing “both” Hanukkah songs at the menorah lightning, which songs was he talking about (for us gentiles)? 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, norcalgal said:

Although it won’t make my Top Five of all time holiday movies, I too really enjoyed this one, and got misty eyed at how the two families were connected. And when Jacob was exclaiming about the crowd singing “both” Hanukkah songs at the menorah lightning, which songs was he talking about (for us gentiles)? 

Also  a Gentile, but he was talking about Dreidel, Dreidel, Dreidel which they sang in one of the menorah scenes.  The other was probably 'Oh Hanukkah' (Hanukkah, o Hanukkah come light the menorah').  Those are both commonly sung by kids in the US in English.  My nephew attended a public school with a significant number of Jewish kids and he learned them there for the school holiday program.  

There are actually a lot of Hanukkah songs in Hebrew, so not well known here.  For those looking for a couple of fun Hanukkah songs in English, The Barenaked Ladies did an album 'Barenaked for the Holidays' and wrote a couple of Hanukkah songs for it.  Their lead singer's father was a cantor in a synagogue.  My favorite from them called Hanukkah Blessings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAggcnAnY_Y

And, of course, everyone knows Adam Sandler's Hanukkah song which is about the only thing he's ever done that I thought was consistently funny.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
15 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

I guess I'm more a Planes, Trains and Automobiles kind of girl, lol.

I agree.  I love this movie!  Of course, AMC is playing it on a loop so I can tune in at any time and find something hilarious.  'Those aren't pillows!'  My favourite scene is John Candy driving the car with his arms trapped, and when they run into the motel the next morning, and they just back up and take off.

13 hours ago, luvthepros said:

Just curious.......what is it about Lacy Chabert that you are "not a fan"? Others on this forum have also voiced a negative opinion about Lacey Chabert so what is it about her or her acting that you find off putting?

You know what, I'm not really sure.  There's just something about her that bugs.  She is by no means a 'can't watch' like Erin Cahill or Alicia Witt (with the bad botox)  or Natalie Hall, but more like Rachel Boston or Alison Sweeney, where I can only watch if the movie is particularly good (which generally translates into 'the male lead is a fave.')

13 hours ago, luvthepros said:

I would have cleaned my bathrooms yesterday and would wash the floor when the guests are gone. LOL.

Understood, but we had a lot of snow in the last few days and my son is visiting with his dog, so the floor had to be done.  It does still need to be done again today though, then maybe not again for a while............

• Like 1
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

I agree.  I love this movie!  Of course, AMC is playing it on a loop so I can tune in at any time and find something hilarious.  'Those aren't pillows!'  My favourite scene is John Candy driving the car with his arms trapped, and when they run into the motel the next morning, and they just back up and take off.

Oh my gosh I am so delighted to hear this!! (AMC was also running National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation -- every time Cousin Eddie shows up in this series I'm in stitches, lol)

The late, great John Candy -- I miss him to this day.  (I'm a fan of SCTV which showcased the true brilliance and sophisticated humor of Canadian performers, way ahead of, imo, Saturday Night Live.

My favorite scene in Planes, Trains and Automobiles is when Owen shows up.  "Her baby came out sideways.  She didn't scream or nothin' ".

• LOL 1

I tried Haul Out the Holly twice based on everyone's love for it but just cannot finish it.  I guess it's supposed to be a parody of the holiday movies but it just came across as silly and stupid to me.  Everything was so over the top ridiculous.

I am not a fan of Lacey either, she is is very one note. You can often predict the next facial expression based on the story.  But that's the same with most of the Hallmark harem.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, bankerchick said:

You know what, I'm not really sure.  There's just something about her that bugs.  She is by no means a 'can't watch' like Erin Cahill or Alicia Witt (with the bad botox)  or Natalie Hall, but more like Rachel Boston or Alison Sweeney, where I can only watch if the movie is particularly good (which generally translates into 'the male lead is a fave.')

Understood, but we had a lot of snow in the last few days and my son is visiting with his dog, so the floor had to be done.  It does still need to be done again today though, then maybe not again for a while............

Got it! I'm in central Florida so no snow here to worry about.

18 hours ago, luvthepros said:

I'm not bankerchick, but I'm also not a fan of Chabert. I don't think she's particularly bad, but I don't think she's particularly good either. I just don't believe her characters are 'real' people? It probably doesn't help that I've only seen her in these Xmas rom-coms where the standards seem to be lower.

3 hours ago, Cetacean said:

I tried Haul Out the Holly twice based on everyone's love for it but just cannot finish it.  I guess it's supposed to be a parody of the holiday movies but it just came across as silly and stupid to me.  Everything was so over the top ridiculous.

I am not a fan of Lacey either, she is is very one note. You can often predict the next facial expression based on the story.  But that's the same with most of the Hallmark harem.

I couldn't finish Haul Out the Holly either; although the supporting cast was good.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Trini said:

I couldn't finish Haul Out the Holly either; although the supporting cast was good.

I don't mind Lacey Chabert - she's not must see, but I usually don't mind her movies depending on who is starring opposite her.  I wanted to see this movie because of the supporting cast, but I just did not like it.  I read so many comments before I watched it about how people loved it and how funny it was.  I watched it thinking, am I watching the same movie.  

Edited by Lisa418722
  • Like 5
5 minutes ago, Lisa418722 said:

I read so many comments before I watched it about how people loved it and how funny it was.  I watched it thinking, am I watching the same movie. 

I feel this way about a lot of the movies that I turn off in disgust, only to find everyone else loved it.  Not so much this site, but I feel like a troll on some other sites because I hated a movie that everyone squeals over.  And sometimes I'm in the mood to be the contrarian and let them know just how overwhelmingly I've hated something.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

I don't know if Hallmark does this or if it's the Canadian channel that shows the Hallmark movies (the W network) but I will never understand their scheduling decisions where the Christmas movies are concerned!  Some of this years crop seem to be shown almost every day, certainly multiple times on a given day, anyhow.  While others may only show up once or twice at best!  I caught a few minutes of one last week that really piqued my interest and I wanted to see the whole thing.  Well. thanks Hallmark/W Network but it's not being shown again. 

Also due to so many reshowings of the same movies over and over and over they don't seem to have scheduled many of the old favourites at all.  I guess they make more money showing the newest movies in endless rotation.

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Like 4
17 hours ago, Trini said:

I'm not bankerchick, but I'm also not a fan of Chabert. I don't think she's particularly bad, but I don't think she's particularly good either. I just don't believe her characters are 'real' people? It probably doesn't help that I've only seen her in these Xmas rom-coms where the standards seem to be lower.

Lacey Chabert has one scene in Moonlight in Vermont, with Carlo Marks as her lead,that I absolutely love her in. She seems so real which is exactly what you find fault with her for. The scene is she is tasting a delicious bun that chef (Marks) had made and she is trying to convey to him that it is "not all that". As he looks away from her, she is scarfing down the delicious bun and muttering under her breath "oh soooooo good". She is adorable in that scene.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, luvthepros said:

She is adorable in that scene.

Aside from her ridiculous eyelashes (which I am sure is not a choice she makes) I really like her.  There was a movie from last year (I think it was last year) where she is a tour guide in Rome and I thought she made that movie rise above the typical Hallmarkian Christmas movie.  Of course it probably helped that it was in Rome and not some standard  Christmas crazy small town set in the US but filmed in Canada!

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Like 4

About a third of the 2022 Hallmark Christmas Movies have faulty captions ... I'll be following along with the dialogue and then suddenly it disappears. Kind of like reading a book where every tenth printed line is invisible. I emailed Hallmark about this a month ago, but no response so far. anyone else notice?

• Like 1

I finally caught up with Royal Corgi Christmas, and it was a disappointment.  I found no chemistry between the leads, and I fast forwarded through a lot.  But I liked the dogs!  I haven't seen much discussion of it here, so maybe it hasn't been a favorite.