Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Finally Watched Aurora Teagarden:  Julius House.  I'm mixed up about the premise for her buying the house.  Mention as made that she had inherited money from an old friend.  But didn't she inherit a house from the old friend? I thought that that was the first movie.  All of these Hallmark Mysteries with women running headlong into dangerous situations, whether they be a librarian, pastry chef, or antique store owner, tend to blur in my mind.  So it's possible I've become confused.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, ShelleySue said:

Finally Watched Aurora Teagarden:  Julius House.  I'm mixed up about the premise for her buying the house.  Mention as made that she had inherited money from an old friend.  But didn't she inherit a house from the old friend? I thought that that was the first movie.  All of these Hallmark Mysteries with women running headlong into dangerous situations, whether they be a librarian, pastry chef, or antique store owner, tend to blur in my mind.  So it's possible I've become confused.

She did inherit the house from the old lady. I'm assuming she sold it because she says that ever since she inherited the house, she wanted one to make her own 

They did mention in one of the other movies that her mother had sold the house she inherited. I figured out the crime right from the start. It was obvious and done before. I watched the Haley Dean Mystery. While the mystery was was predictable, I never trust when there is no dead body, I did like Kellie and the chemistry with the platonic male partners, particularly the non police detective, I think he was an investigator from the DA office. Not sure about the love interest but at least there is no never ending  which one will she chose like some of the other series.  My one problem is I hate Nancy Grace and not only are these based on books written by her, she is also in them. 

• Love 4

I wanted to see the Haley Dean Mystery before I knew it came from Nancy Grace. I liked Kellie Martin in the Mystery Woman movies and the movie last year about the husband passing away. I still kind of want to see the movie but it's hard to watch anything willingly that Nancy Grace is a part of. I didn't know she was in the Haley Dean stories too. Ugh.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Jaded said:

I wanted to see the Haley Dean Mystery before I knew it came from Nancy Grace. I liked Kellie Martin in the Mystery Woman movies and the movie last year about the husband passing away. I still kind of want to see the movie but it's hard to watch anything willingly that Nancy Grace is a part of. I didn't know she was in the Haley Dean stories too. Ugh.

Yes! I have it recorded but the Nancy Grace factor is keeping me from pressing play.

5 hours ago, Aliconehead said:

I say give it a try.  NOthing happens while she is on the screen and you can fast forward.  The movies is predictable but I did like the characters

Agree. It was definitely better than that other mystery movie they have had, White Hot? I forget the name. Luckily, Nancy Grace was barely in it. I also like the actor who plays Hailey's love interest. I think he was in one of the Lifetime/PixL movies in a lighter role, and I really enjoyed him there. He is more serious here but has potential.

• Love 1

I watched the Hailey Dean movie and really enjoyed it. I do wish there had been chemistry between her and her love interest. I saw more between her and the detective. Thanks for convincing me to watch it.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, twoods said:

Does every single Hallmark movie have one of the leads lose a parent? I'm trying to think which movie had both leads who had living parents but I can't remember any.

In Falling in Love with the Girl Next Door and Pumpkin Pie Wars, the mothers are feuding but the fathers are secretly still friends.

http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/falling-in-love-with-the-girl-next-door

http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/pumpkin-pie-wars

The Mistletoe Promise airs on Saturday night. Do I have the wherewithal to watch yet another movie about two attractive people pretending to date for the holidays?

Let me guess .. they END UP TOGETHER FOR REALS!

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 4

Seriously. I wish there would be some new holiday movie ideas, like the Christmas Spirit one on Lifetime last year. One thing that I think could help a little, in addition to having more diverse leads as others have suggested, is also being "diverse" religion-wise. For all the talk of us Jews owning all the media, we clearly don't own anything putting out holiday movies. We've had I believe two movies where 1 lead was Jewish, but that's it. I may have said this before another year, but I feel like Chanukah/Hanukkah (whatever your preferred spelling) lends itself pretty well to a romantic movie. A holiday based on a miracle could easily translate to the "miracle" of love or whatever. And you can have 8 nights/days of antics/getting to know each other whatever. It's actually a lighter/less religious holiday than Christmas, so making cheesy movies with it as a backdrop is no biggie in that way. 

• Love 9
6 hours ago, VMepicgrl said:

Seriously. I wish there would be some new holiday movie ideas, like the Christmas Spirit one on Lifetime last year. One thing that I think could help a little, in addition to having more diverse leads as others have suggested, is also being "diverse" religion-wise. For all the talk of us Jews owning all the media, we clearly don't own anything putting out holiday movies. We've had I believe two movies where 1 lead was Jewish, but that's it. I may have said this before another year, but I feel like Chanukah/Hanukkah (whatever your preferred spelling) lends itself pretty well to a romantic movie. A holiday based on a miracle could easily translate to the "miracle" of love or whatever. And you can have 8 nights/days of antics/getting to know each other whatever. It's actually a lighter/less religious holiday than Christmas, so making cheesy movies with it as a backdrop is no biggie in that way. 

It doesn't help they keep using the same actors over and over again in these stories right down to the child actors.  Like most of Candace Cameron's movies she plays some career women who is basically told she works too hard and needs to stop that to find romance and a family  instead. As if women haven't been juggling career and family successfully for years.

I don't think my TV will be on Hallmark much this holiday season. Too many bland same old same old movies that are all starting to look alike.

• Love 4

Unfortunately, I will probably be watching everything. With nothing else on, I will be seeking something entertaining enough to watch. That's why I still enjoy the movies they play all year. It is nice to have something new to watch that is generally positive, although inconsistent in quality.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, VMepicgrl said:

Unfortunately, I will probably be watching everything. With nothing else on, I will be seeking something entertaining enough to watch. That's why I still enjoy the movies they play all year. It is nice to have something new to watch that is generally positive, although inconsistent in quality.

Movies being on VOD and streaming sites has changed that for me because there's positive movies available on Netflix, Amazon , Pixl Movie Channel,etc.

• Love 1
On November 4, 2016 at 1:13 PM, VMepicgrl said:

The only movie that I can think of with a Chanukah theme was Hitched for the Holidays.  What was the other one?

I will try to find the name. I think it was another movie with a mixed-religion couple who had just gotten engaged maybe? I vaguely also remember there being a blonde ex-gf who creates a little jealousy....

Found it. Will You Merry Me? Wendie Malick played one of the mothers. That's how I was able to track down the name. Thanks, IMDB.

I actually liked Will you Merry Me....but Id like some variety in these movies.  downside ti having 20 tv movies a season is that the formula becomes very stale.  Back in the 70s,80s, and 90s...there were maybe a handful made per season so it didnt become overkill.

• Love 1

I've been looking to smaller films to mix in with the Hallmark movies so that I can have some variety. Like more offbeat or non-traditional romantic comedies because I have found these to be repetitive and commonly themed. But I still enjoy them. So I'll see how it goes, but it worked this weekend, when I finally got around to watching Irresistible Blueberry Farm and one of the Murder She Baked movies while watching In a World... in between the two.

@VMepicgrl Last year, The Flight Before Christmas on Lifetime with Mayim Bialik wasn't set around Hanukkah, but it did mix in a different religion and was a prominent part of the storyline. In general, I'd say Lifetime takes more chances and has less formulaic movies. They can also be a bit hit or miss though, and their misses can be huge misses. I always preferred ABC Family movies to Hallmark, but they've gotten so out of the TV movie business of late I can't count on them for variety.

Edited by JasmineFlower
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, JasmineFlower said:

I've been looking to smaller films to mix in with the Hallmark movies so that I can have some variety. Like more offbeat or non-traditional romantic comedies because I have found these to be repetitive and commonly themed. But I still enjoy them. So I'll see how it goes, but it worked this weekend, when I finally got around to watching Irresistible Blueberry Farm and one of the Murder She Baked movies while watching In a World... in between the two.

@VMepicgrl Last year, The Flight Before Christmas on Lifetime with Mayim Bialik wasn't set around Hanukkah, but it did mix in a different religion and was a prominent part of the storyline. In general, I'd say Lifetime takes more chances and has less formulaic movies. They can also be a bit hit or miss though, and their misses can be huge misses. I always preferred ABC Family movies to Hallmark, but they've gotten so out of the TV movie business of late I can't count on them for variety.

I had forgotten about the Mayim Bialik movie - thanks. I had high hopes for that one and was disappointed. 

A more random comment - I'm happy the houses in the Lifetime movies look different. My area is heavily building those craftsmen style homes that seem to be featured in the Hallmark movies lately, and I'm so sick of it. They are nice houses, but I've had enough. 

• Love 2

I didn't have Hallmark till last year, so I'm catching up on all of the Christmas movies I missed then. I can't believe how many they crank out. With some exceptions like Crown for Christmas, I realized my favorites don't feature children. 

I wish Hallmark would make more movies set in the past. I usually enjoy those-- even if kids have major parts (!) like in Christmas in Canaan, A Christmas Story and Blizzard.

I am also sad that ABC Family stopped making movies. They made some of my favorites (The Christmas List, Three Days, 12 Dates of Christmas, Holiday in Handcuffs).

• Love 3

From the holiday movie thread:

5 hours ago, VMepicgrl said:

A Nutcracker Christmas
Premieres: Dec. 10, 8 p.m., Hallmark Channel

Starring: Amy Acker (Person of Interest), Sascha Radetsky (Flesh and Bone), Sophia Lucia (Dance Moms)

Official logline: “Rising star Lilly James (Acker) lives and breathes ballet. Her sister Beth is not only her biggest fan but often forgoes her own needs to make sure Lilly has every opportunity possible. Lilly’s devotion pays off when she is accepted into the New York City Ballet. Her biggest dream comes true when she lands the lead role of Clara in The Nutcracker and will make her debut on Christmas Eve. As she prepares for her big night, she receives the tragic news that her sister has died. She is removed from the show by none other than Mark (Sascha), her boyfriend and dance partner. Betrayed and heartbroken, she vows never to dance again. Years later, Lilly’s niece (Lucia) receives the same Christmas wish, the role of Clara in the prestigious Philadelphia Nutcracker Ballet, only to find that the Ballet Director is Mark, who betrayed Lilly years ago. Will Lilly see the truth about her past, and allow herself a second chance to dance and another chance to find love?”

You had me at "Sascha Radetsky"!

• Love 5

I don't know if I'm imagining things or if Hallmark listened to feedback like some we gave here last year. I feel like the old movies they are repeating are more varied than last year. I'm not seeing the same ones over and over and over and over. I have been catching a lot of different ones that I have enjoyed at different times. There is still some repeating but does not seem as much.

• Love 1

Yay! 'Tis the season for Crown for Christmas, which, let's face it, I should buy already.  Pretty soon my lips will start moving when Rupert Penry-Jones says: "You can never have too many of those [sewing kits]".

I looked at the Hallmark site for a calendar list of the movies, but only found a week-in-advance thing.  Suggestions?

Edited by rallymantis
Autocorrect spelled his name wrong
  • Love 3
54 minutes ago, rallymantis said:

I looked at the Hallmark site for a calendar list of the movies, but only found a week-in-advance thing.  Suggestions?

There's a Christmas list on this blog.  It's not totally complete but it gets updated when more programming info comes out.  For instance, you can see that the Dec. dates are a bit anemic right now.

• Love 2

A Nutcracker Christmas
Premieres: Dec. 10, 8 p.m., Hallmark Channel

Glad I read the whole description, because when I saw Amy Acker as a 'rising star' of a ballet company I didn't think I could suspend disbelief enough to accept a 30-ish woman as a ballet phenom. (heh). Verb tense matters Hallmark channel! 

• Love 4
On 11/12/2016 at 10:43 PM, Court said:

Love Always, Santa was cute. The sister is very annoying. 

You're sugarcoating that one if you ask me. She was very annoying in the first 20 minutes. I was plotting her demise midway through and that was justified as it kept going. She just kept on and on with her Negative Nancy routine. Why oh why can't these movies resist the urge to add a PITA character like this? Her attitude was totally unnecessary. I was talking to the TV multiple times asking what's your damage, Heather? Also also, what the heck is wrong with your hair? Honestly, I knew she was jealous, but still, this was way too much to sell that.

Luckily, she really doesn't ruin the movie. The sister is minor enough that her negativity is somewhat contained, just block her out if she bugs like she did with me. This is a cute movie and worth a watch. The kid is a bit intense, but we've seen way worse and she's tolerable and even a positive for the most part. Marguerite Moreau and Mike Faiola (Awkward, Quarterlife) are nicely matched here. And some of the more original writing I can remember in a Hallmark movie with the book references and the Hemingway puns.

Edited by JasmineFlower
  • Love 1

I really didn't like My Christmas Dream. I have a high tolerance for Christmas movies, but I'll never re-watch that one. Even Danica couldn't save it, and I love Crown for Christmas. David Haydn-Jones is good at playing self-righteous (see: Dear Santa, which I like), and he was doing a fine job of it in this. His son is maybe the most spoiled of any of the kids in Christmas movies, and that's saying something.

Edited by Valentine
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Valentine said:

I really didn't like My Christmas Dream. I have a high tolerance for Christmas movies, but I'll never re-watch that one. Even Danica couldn't save it, and I love Crown for Christmas. David Haydn-Jones is good at playing self-righteous (see: Dear Santa, which I like), and he was doing a fine job of it in this. His son is maybe the most spoiled of any of the kids in Christmas movies, and that's saying something.

Blech.  Absolutely no chemistry between the leads.  None.  

I do realize that there is a suspension of belief with these movies, but this one was especially unbelievable.  The store manager being totally in charge of coming up with the theme and then carrying it out for the biggest event of the year?  No committee?  No meetings with staff to discuss it?  No memos? No store staff in charge of displays?  Ugh!

On a more positive note, I've watched the Nine Lives of Christmas three times already and love it each and every time.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ShelleySue said:

Blech.  Absolutely no chemistry between the leads.  None.  

I do realize that there is a suspension of belief with these movies, but this one was especially unbelievable.  The store manager being totally in charge of coming up with the theme and then carrying it out for the biggest event of the year?  No committee?  No meetings with staff to discuss it?  No memos? No store staff in charge of displays?  Ugh!

On a more positive note, I've watched the Nine Lives of Christmas three times already and love it each and every time.

Yes! I love Nine Lives of Christmas. I think I will watch that presently. It will be a good palate cleanser from the ridiculousness of My Christmas Dream. Everything you said, plus the ending was beyond ridiculous. All that pouting from the kid (and father!) about her going for her dream. I can put up with unbelievably fast love stories, but bad parenting makes me sad.

No mention of December Bride, yet? It's the usual story of two lonely hearts pretending to be engaged for the holidays and falling in love. The reason it caught my attention was that my parents' house was in it at the end! They live on a street that goes all out decorating with lights every Christmas and this movie used some B-roll footage that featured their house. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be the main guy's house when decorated or not, but my parents were very pleased considering how hard they work to decorate every Christmas. If you see it, look for the giant snowman and Santa and that's them!

• Love 6

The new Hallmark movie tonight is Christmas in Homestead -- actress goes to small town life, true meaning of Christmas, yadda yadda.

Just once could we have a movie about someone (okay, it always a woman) from a small town who finds joy (and yes, love) in a multicultural Christmas in an urban city? Could that maybe be what the holidays are all about? JUST ONCE?

• Love 13
11 hours ago, lordonia said:

The new Hallmark movie tonight is Christmas in Homestead -- actress goes to small town life, true meaning of Christmas, yadda yadda.

Just once could we have a movie about someone (okay, it always a woman) from a small town who finds joy (and yes, love) in a multicultural Christmas in an urban city? Could that maybe be what the holidays are all about? JUST ONCE?

Not enough schmaltzy treacly Hallmark mushy style then. So...DENIED!

• Love 2

There have been movies where girl moves from small town to the city and is happy---multicultural?  A bit too far but big city?  Yes. 

The Homestead movie was boring.  Would it kill these movies to have a real plot? 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, lordonia said:

They sort of had one called Summer In the City about a small town girl who did very well in New York. Of course it was void of Christmas and multicultural things but was nice to see.

Honestly I don’t know why I watch these movies! In some respect, I like being able to tune into something that is SO predictable that I know the outcome before the end of the first scene. However, the underlying themes of men/women NEEDING to be part of a couple to be considered happy, having to choose between a career or love, or some kind of wacky mix-up leads to everlasting, eternal love. I must be getting too cynical in my ability to just watch these without seeing all kinds of subtle and not so subtle messages. I’ll echo other posts that have discussed  the other issues these movies have such as the lack of real diversity….I’m pretty sure non-White and Gay people fall in love and also enjoy the holidays!

On a Black Friday, in which I never leave the house to go to a store, I thought I’d watch a few movies. I couldn’t make it. PrPredictable I could manage, but predictable AND boring? This might be it for me and Hallmark holiday-themed movies.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, msani19 said:

Honestly I don’t know why I watch these movies! In some respect, I like being able to tune into something that is SO predictable that I know the outcome before the end of the first scene. However, the underlying themes of men/women NEEDING to be part of a couple to be considered happy, having to choose between a career or love, or some kind of wacky mix-up leads to everlasting, eternal love. I must be getting too cynical in my ability to just watch these without seeing all kinds of subtle and not so subtle messages. I’ll echo other posts that have discussed  the other issues these movies have such as the lack of real diversity….I’m pretty sure non-White and Gay people fall in love and also enjoy the holidays!

Not to mention that they all take place in some small pokey little town. Like big cities are so terrible...

• Love 5