Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

21 hours ago, nokat said:

My peeve of the day, and I apologize to those who like to talk, talk, talk in basically monologues.

My neighbor would call me almost daily and talk my ear off while I was trying to work. If I met her outside my house, I'd be backing away trying to end the conversation and she would follow. You know how you give clues about ending a conversation? It did not work.

Well, now I have another someone who I will just keep saying "yes, I know" to. The money I should be making as a therapist.

My nephew is on the spectrum with Asperger's, and it was explaind that he just doesn't recognize those "social cues". I'm not implying that anyone with the inability to recognize when to cut off conversation is on the spectrum...

...or am I?

• Like 2
  • Wink 3
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I find this type of woman incredibly sad--the ones clinging to the outdated notion that being a wife (then mother) is the pinnacle of success for a woman.  I'm in my early 40s, and one of my high school classmates got married for the first time last year.  Her Facebook posts are cringeworthy the way she talks about her new husband.  She's been a pharmacist for almost 20 years, regularly earning somewhere between $80,000-120,000 yearly in a low cost of living area.  But, this new husband trumps all that she has earned--"new hubby grilled me a steak!!" for example.

In the case I described above, my mom and I knew the woman even before she met her husband, and my mom says this woman has always been an attention-seeking type so I imagine she is probably doing some of this to fish for compliments and praise.

I am not crazy about how attention-seeking and shallow a lot of engaged and newly married women have become. I know a former coworker getting married soon and she too was posting her Venmo QR code if you wanted to buy her a drink for her bachelorette. Is it not enough to have your bridal shower and your wedding reception anymore where people get you gifts and money? It seems like it’s just becoming an excuse for people to buy you things and demand they focus 100% of their attention on you for months. One of my best friends got married last year, and she and her husband both come from more modest means. They didn’t act like this with their hands out for money and “but my special day!” vibes at every turn. 

I find this type of woman incredibly sad--the ones clinging to the outdated notion that being a wife (then mother) is the pinnacle of success for a woman.  I'm in my early 40s, and one of my high school classmates got married for the first time last year.  Her Facebook posts are cringeworthy the way she talks about her new husband.  She's been a pharmacist for almost 20 years, regularly earning somewhere between $80,000-120,000 yearly in a low cost of living area.  But, this new husband trumps all that she has earned--"new hubby grilled me a steak!!" for example.

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Like 7
2 hours ago, Bookworm 1979 said:

Sorry to piggyback off of your post.  I'm don't have kids, but one time I was shamed by a group of them for saying I was tired.  Apparently if you don't have kids you're supposed to have a great sleep every night and not get stressed about anything.  I was called some pretty nasty names by people who call themselves the most "selfless, generous people in the world".

Try not to feel bad for getting shamed by the moms, they'll shame everyone.

I've found that many of the replies don't come from people understand where I'm coming from.  I was *this close* of being accused of being racist towards my own heritage.  Another person thought I was also an immigrant and had an accent myself.  It wasn't until this morning that people replied, telling me they understood where I was coming from because they, too, have had the same experience.  They said that at 5ish, it may be a mix of toddler-speak and the grandparents' accents (yes, plural, because my mom and dad have different Hong Kong accents.  Mom's is telling that she went to an English immersion Catholic school (I think all of them were/are) while my dad's is a non-religious English immersion school accent.  Both my parents have SOME Canadian in their accents since they've been here for 50 years!).  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

In my experience, the ones who go on and on about their "true love" that split up within a couple of years.

• Like 6
1 minute ago, Bookworm 1979 said:

In my experience, the ones who go on and on about their "true love" that split up within a couple of years.

Yep, and when you meet and marry the person in one calendar year, those odds go up even more.  But, in their minds it's better to be divorced than never married at all.  

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I find this type of woman incredibly sad--the ones clinging to the outdated notion that being a wife (then mother) is the pinnacle of success for a woman. 

My first thought when I hear about women like this is Anna Duggar "at least I have a husband".  In other words a pretty low threshold for success in many cases.

• Sad 4
6 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

My first thought when I hear about women like this is Anna Duggar "at least I have a husband".  In other words a pretty low threshold for success in many cases.

I find myself tamping down my inner Ouiser Boudreaux when dealing with this type of woman.  "Oh he's a real gentleman.  I bet he takes the dishes out of the sink before he pees in it."

• LOL 7

Yep, and when you meet and marry the person in one calendar year, those odds go up even more.  But, in their minds it's better to be divorced than never married at all.  

You all know my story. We married after five months. We celebrated our 43rd anniversary last May. We're probably outliers though.

• Like 5
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

You all know my story. We married after five months. We celebrated our 43rd anniversary last May. We're probably outliers though.

I really do know a lot of couples who had less conventional courtships and have been happily married for decades.  When you know you know and that can happen at any moment plus couples who are willing to make their marriage work.  And the more you know yourself, the better you are at picking a partner.  My comment really was in conjunction with the one I quoted about OTT social media posts about their marriage.  

• Like 5
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

You were/are so lucky!  To not have to suffer all the frogs out there and have a good marriage to a very nice man.  

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

You were/are so lucky!  To not have to suffer all the frogs out there and have a good marriage to a very nice man.  

I suffered quite a few frogs. I was out on my own very young and moved all over the place. I was an old 22 when I met my husband and he had the same story. We had both lived with other people and we knew ourselves well. (good point Ohiopirate02). But at least I've never had to deal with divorce, step kids or any other life baggage.

• Like 6

There are places that help vets. Some people don't want help but money.

Yes, but even these services are far from perfect and often so backlogged that people in need have to wait and wait (not to mention possibly sacrifice common human dignities). No one* doesn't want help. It's just that money addresses an immediate need where services may not be able to. 

And can I just say again how off-putting it is to hear "they'll just buy drugs/booze"? "They'll," collective -- as if all people in need are one big lump and not individual human beings. We don't know that someone abuses drugs just because they have no money. Ugh, pet peeve indeed.

*Yes, I know that there are immoral exceptions. But they're exceptions -- and those exceptions wouldn't really matter if the system wasn't grievously flawed. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 5
  • Applause 5
9 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

My nephew is on the spectrum with Asperger's, and it was explaind that he just doesn't recognize those "social cues". I'm not implying that anyone with the inability to recognize when to cut off conversation is on the spectrum...

...or am I?

Could be anxiety. 

• Like 5
11 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Is your friend named Jill Rodrigues?

• LOL 1
13 hours ago, Bookworm 1979 said:

Apparently if you don't have kids you're supposed to have a great sleep every night and not get stressed about anything. 

I have zero tolerance for attitude.

I also have very little patience for the who has it worse one-uppersonship. "Well you may... but I blah blah blah. It's not a competition. You don't win a prize for having it "the worse" or harder than someone else who is venting. Unfortunately, worry, anxiety, pain, tiredness, etc... is unlimited. It's not pie. The moment someone comes back at me with "But I..." or "you wouldn't understand..." as a way to shut down venting, I just tune out. 

• Like 10
On 8/28/2023 at 7:47 AM, Cloud9Shopper said:

The way newlyweds (especially women! I haven’t seen many newly married men act like this but I’m sure they’re out there) have to announce every single milestone they have as a couple even weeks or months after their wedding is over. I know someone who got married last month and it seems like every post is “first year teaching as Mrs. (New Last Name)!” “Sitting here with my HUSBAND!” (And she is writing husband in all CAPS on multiple posts.) “Attending our first wedding as Mr. and Mrs. Last Name!” 

Given that the divorce rate is 50%, you have a 1 in 2 shot that you won't have to listen to it for much longer.

• Sad 2
  • LOL 8
3 hours ago, millennium said:

Given that the divorce rate is 50%, you have a 1 in 2 shot that you won't have to listen to it for much longer.

This is horrible but I laughed at it anyway.

My mom will say “She found a husband; that was her goal! Just be happy for her!” Like I have nothing against her husband; he seems nice enough. And I am happy she’s in love. But I also think you can be happily married without constant posts on social media and doing twee stuff like emphasizing that this is your HUSBAND in all CAPS as if no one would ever be able to figure out you were married if you didn’t shout it out loud. The last couple I knew of who constantly bragged on Facebook about how happy and in love they were broke up and now they are married to two different people…go figure. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

My mom will say “She found a husband; that was her goal!

What a sad goal.  "I'd like to find a good partner/spouse to share my life with" I totally get even though I have no interest in it personally.  But "I want a husband/wife", period, just reeks of desperation and a willingness to settle for less -- they want someone to fulfill a role (and a largely stereotypical rather than practical and fulfilling role at that), and give them some odd sort of status, regardless of how happy, healthy, and sustainable the relationship is.

• Like 9

Buckle up!  The self-absorption may or may not end when this friend gets used to her married status - but hopefully, she'll calm the heck down.  No telling which way it'll go - or whether, she'll next have a baby - and then every burp, poop, smile or gas pain will be the most adorable thing ever - and she'll want you & everyone else to know about it - in detail.  It'll be Christmas and the kid will say "ho, ho, ho" and you'll hear about it for months - as if it's the most brilliant utterance that ever happened. As if no one else ever had a baby.  (And these types usually become insufferable grandparents as well.)

There's just some people who are perpetually smug or self-satisfied and they want you to know it.  But there's also some, that if you indulge them for a bit, will eventually get over it & return to reality or come down to earth.  All depends on which one they are & what your tolerance level is.      

Edited by realityplease
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1

There's just some people who are perpetually smug or self-satisfied and they want you to know it.  But there's also some, that if you indulge them for a bit, will eventually get over it & return to reality or come down to earth.  All depends on which one they are & what your tolerance level is.      

image.png.18104157c066a47eeaa1b611116e58fb.png

• LOL 12

My peeve of the moment: when a person is obviously self-sabotaging and there’s really nothing you can say or do to help, because well, they are self-sabotaging. People who stand in their own way are not easy to help. They may ask for advice, but it’s never seen as good advice if it doesn’t fit their “mood”. Blaming others for their own situation is a big hurdle to overcome, but it can be worked on, if recognized.

Edited by ginger90
  • Like 8
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

They may ask for advice, but it’s never seen as good advice if it doesn’t fit their “mood”.

It took me far too long to realize that most people may ask for advice but unless you are telling them what they wanted to hear in the first place any advice you give will be disregarded. 

Which is particularly annoying when they proceed to screw up and they would not have if they listened to you.   Now I will provide a shoulder to cry on and a listening ear if someone needs to vent but I rarely give advice.

• Like 6

Argh, OK, so while I am thankful that some companies are eager to make things right when they screw up by basically offering the consumer back some money, I have to say that I hate it when it's a coupon that I have to remember to use later! First of all, the assumption that I will be back is kind of annoying. Second, you likely have my CC already for whatever it is I paid for -- just credit it! Or at least set up the coupon to automatically be applied to my account for next time. Because even if I do stick around, now I have a thing I have to keep track of. Thanks a lot, jerks.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

It took me far too long to realize that most people may ask for advice but unless you are telling them what they wanted to hear in the first place any advice you give will be disregarded. . .but I rarely give advice.

Totally agree that most people ask for advice because they want validation of their own opinion about how to proceed.  Only every now & then do you actually find someone who lacks experience or with absolutely no idea about what to do next.

If asked, I will give advice though, but whether someone takes it or not is totally up to them.  Some people get bent out if their advice isn't taken.  Not me.  You ask. I give it.  Thereafter, do what you will with it.  Take it or don't.  And I try very hard not to say "I told you so" when they ignore what I've advised.

• Like 5

OH! I have a peeve that makes me sound like such a snob, haha! I like podcasts of listener-submitted scary stories -- not necessarily paranormal one, but encounters with creepy people and situations. Or at least I really like one such podcast. The others, though, I find to have too many submissions by people who are just awful writers. I know these are just "regular" people with interesting stories to share and I don't expect professional-level prose or whatever, but oh my goodness, the overexplaining and the unnecessary words to "puff it up" (or sound more intellectual?), eg, "This happened when I was only but a little kid of age 9 years old" or "Since my dad's car was in the shop getting a new muffler, my mom had to pick me up early that day -- usually it was at 4 but on this day, a Tuesday, it was at 3:30." Even the typical grammar usage errors don't bug me very much, but these other things...oof. (And "since" in place of "because" just bugs me always, even though I realize it's probably generally acceptable to almost everyone, everywhere -- that's on me!)

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 4
44 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

OH! I have a peeve that makes me sound like such a snob, haha! I like podcasts of listener-submitted scary stories -- not necessarily paranormal one, but encounters with creepy people and situations. Or at least I really like one such podcast. The others, though, I find to have too many submissions by people who are just awful writers. I know these are just "regular" people with interesting stories to share and I don't expect professional-level prose or whatever, but oh my goodness, the overexplaining and the unnecessary words to "puff it up" (or sound more intellectual?), eg, "This happened when I was only but a little kid of age 9 years old" or "Since my dad's car was in the shop getting a new muffler, my mom had to pick me up early that day -- usually it was at 4 but on this day, a Tuesday, it was at 3:30." Even the typical grammar usage errors don't bug me very much, but these other things...oof. (And "since" in place of "because" just bugs me always, even though I realize it's probably generally acceptable to almost everyone, everywhere -- that's on me!)

Can the podcast not edit the submissions to make them sound better and more interesting?  

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

They're listeners' own true encounters; it wouldn't really work for someone who wasn't there to try to make them more interesting. But for me, it's not about how compelling the stories are (or aren't), as that is always going to vary according to personal taste. It's the way the people tend to write -- like they're trying way too hard to be engaging. Again, these are real accounts of strange/dangerous situations,* so just the basics would probably be fine. I do feel bad a little for being annoyed at people who just want to have fun and participate; it's not like they claimed to be expert wordsmiths.

That said, making them sound better in an editorial/storytelling sense, though -- just cutting some unnecessary exposition, for instance -- I could get behind! Maybe the one I do really like does this. Or maybe that one just has more submissions and can choose from the more capably written ones. 

(Eg, finding out someone has been living in their basement, being approached by someone who was later in the news for murder, realizing a neighbor has been peeking into their house...that kind of stuff.)

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 3
15 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

They're listeners' own true encounters; it wouldn't really work for someone who wasn't there to try to make them more interesting. But for me, it's not about how compelling the stories are (or aren't), as that is always going to vary according to personal taste. It's the way the people tend to write -- like they're trying way too hard to be engaging. Again, these are real accounts of strange/dangerous situations,* so just the basics would probably be fine. I do feel bad a little for being annoyed at people who just want to have fun and participate; it's not like they claimed to be expert wordsmiths.

That said, making them sound better in an editorial/storytelling sense, though -- just cutting some unnecessary exposition, for instance -- I could get behind! Maybe the one I do really like does this. Or maybe that one just has more submissions and can choose from the more capably written ones. 

(Eg, finding out someone has been living in their basement, being approached by someone who was later in the news for murder, realizing a neighbor has been peeking into their house...that kind of stuff.)

When I say more interesting, I do not mean change the story.  Cleaning up the digressions and making the account more coherent, will also make the story more interesting.  It's hard to get invested in a story that is a bunch of word salad.  Because, yeah, people are trying too hard with their submissions.  They don't want to throw away their shot at getting on the podcast.  Cutting away the puffed up language will reveal the rhythm of the story and that is what makes something interesting.  

• Like 3

As one who has prepared many, many witnesses to testify, I have learned people just love to hear themselves speak. They also believe using more words, and more syllables, makes them sound more intelligent.  

• Like 9
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 2
5 hours ago, ginger90 said:

My peeve of the moment: when a person is obviously self-sabotaging and there’s really nothing you can say or do to help, because well, they are self-sabotaging. People who stand in their own way are not easy to help. They may ask for advice, but it’s never seen as good advice if it doesn’t fit their “mood”. Blaming others for their own situation is a big hurdle to overcome, but it can be worked on, if recognized.

This is a situation where it helps to be not only armed with wisdom and logic that could solve the problem, but also the emotional intelligence to understand the situation.

If you're aware that the other person's problem has A LOT more to do with their feelings than it does the identified problem:

1. Definitely don't offer a solution to their "problem" if they didn't specifically ask for advice. It doesn't matter if you have the information (thank you Dolly Parton) that would logically solve it. We should just keep our mouth shut and let them vent. I think this one should hold true both in person and in all social media and internet interactions. 
  2. If we really can't help but offer unsolicited advice, focus in on something that is the real problem such as advising them that they should maybe talk somebody about they way they're feeling about the situation.
  3. And if they do ask for advice, and we all know damn well that what they're really looking for is validation for their feelings (god, feelings are a pain in the ass), I like to go with "Well... what do you feel like would be the best way to..." 

In other words, if you really want to help them, make them self analyze. Answer their questions with questions. With any luck, they'll talk themselves into actually doing something, because they sure as hell aren't going to just say "Oh, your logical solution to my emotional problem makes perfect sense."

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, realityplease said:

Totally agree that most people ask for advice because they want validation of their own opinion about how to proceed. 

I think this is true, but I also suspect that--especially online--a lot of people ask for advice when what they truly want is someone to be angry at. Someone who isn't themselves, because it's a lot easier to vent your spleen at some random stranger than to admit to yourself that you should've done what you didn't do or shouldn't have done what you did. Acting like a child having a tantrum at someone else seems to feel more satisfying than telling yourself you're a moron. And it doesn't seem to stop these people from coming back over and over to ask for the same advice about the same tired issue and get mad at the strangers who give of their time and sympathy only to be attacked yet again. I keep a mental list of these advice seekers and stay the hell away.

• Like 9

My peeve today:  I ordered a replacement ceiling fixture.  The kind with a flush mount base and a glass cover.  Of course, the glass cover arrived completely broken in huge shards.  Amazingly bad packing right out of the factory.  I am awaiting a refund.  I had to send pictures.  I'm not going to order a replacement.  I will have to go to a store where I can pick it up and make sure it's not broken. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 5
On 8/28/2023 at 3:27 PM, peacheslatour said:

I suffered quite a few frogs. I was out on my own very young and moved all over the place. I was an old 22 when I met my husband and he had the same story. We had both lived with other people and we knew ourselves well. (good point Ohiopirate02). But at least I've never had to deal with divorce, step kids or any other life baggage.

Well, everyone knows my story.  Married over fifty years.  My husband is a man’s man ..not wimpy.  A total jock.  Recently, our doctor told me my husband is very sensitive.  Who knew?  I’m not complaining .. just surprised.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Kids are heading back to school and the temps are supposed to be in the low 30s (about 90f).  We've had a relatively cool and rainy August - personally I loved it - but now we're paying for it.

In a separate peeve - why do people have to try and bring people down?  My cousin posted a meme about missing her mother on the anniversary of her death (she's been gone 10 years now) with the usual "hug your mom while you still can" kind of thing.  Anyway someone immediately had to post about how not everyone has a good relationship with their mother and how she has no relationship with her anymore.  Time and place, people, time and place!

• Like 11
1 hour ago, Laura Holt said:

Kids are heading back to school and the temps are supposed to be in the low 30s (about 90f).  We've had a relatively cool and rainy August - personally I loved it - but now we're paying for it.

In a separate peeve - why do people have to try and bring people down?  My cousin posted a meme about missing her mother on the anniversary of her death (she's been gone 10 years now) with the usual "hug your mom while you still can" kind of thing.  Anyway someone immediately had to post about how not everyone has a good relationship with their mother and how she has no relationship with her anymore.  Time and place, people, time and place!

According to my weather app, it's only going to feel like summer for the first week of school.  Good thing my son's uniform is short sleeves and shorts.  

• Like 3

You know how your cable company is always in deals so channels get removed? Well Spectrum and Disney are at it again. Send an email they say. Well how would you word an email? I'd slightly like your service more if Disney was there.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
On 8/31/2023 at 7:45 PM, EtheltoTillie said:

My peeve today:  I ordered a replacement ceiling fixture.  The kind with a flush mount base and a glass cover.  Of course, the glass cover arrived completely broken in huge shards.  Amazingly bad packing right out of the factory.  I am awaiting a refund.  I had to send pictures.  I'm not going to order a replacement.  I will have to go to a store where I can pick it up and make sure it's not broken. 

And be sure to open the box - to be sure that what's inside is what's stated on the box!

Short version of long story: not long ago we bought two identical ceiling light fixtures at Lowes. Only found out later that one of them was the wrong color, not the color shown/lableed on its box. 

From now on I'll open the box first to be sure it's labeled correctly.

Good luck with your replacement!

Edited by Dale Evans
  • Useful 6
19 hours ago, nokat said:

Well Spectrum and Disney are at it again.

Yesterday my neighbor wanted to watch the F1 race. He was horrified to find out we (Spectrum customers) no longer have ESPN. I’m going to have to get HULU if I want to watch my ice hockey games (the whole family watches and then we text about it on a family thread.)  I’m already paying a lot of money for cable and where I live it’s the only available option. I hope this situation gets worked out soon (pre hockey season). 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m already paying a lot of money for cable and where I live it’s the only available option.

I can get some channels, but the shows I like to watch are cable. I do get a good deal with internet and cable, so I  deal with it.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I hope this situation gets worked out soon

It usually does, especially when contract negotiations stall during football season -- both sides will get lots of angry phone calls and emails.  College started this weekend (well, week 0 was last weekend, but it really got going this weekend) and NFL starts this coming weekend.

• Like 2

How impossible it is to hear some shows and movies when my air conditioner is on. I was just watching a movie; no problems hearing anything. I switch to a show on Hulu, and I have to turn up the TV volume to the same level my 92-year-old grandmother may use to hear anything because it feels like the characters are whispering. 

But it’s also going to be 90 degrees here all week so I’m not going without my AC to watch TV. 

• Like 5