Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

11 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

So I am in the grocery store, and I notice that they sell pre-cut cheeses that are just the right size for crackers.  I don't get  it.  I have no problem "cutting the cheese."  How lazy do people have to be where they can't just cut their own cheese?

Sometimes I just want a quick bite of cheese & I don't want to have to re-wrap chunks or of cheese or make dirty dishes to get it. Pre-cut stuff just makes life easier, & I'm all for that.

Edited by GaT
typing is HARD
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I know. I was very nervous when I saw the aunt coming. Like I said, she was a large woman and she must have had RBF because she looked pissed.

She was probably upset thinking about what could have happened if you hadn't been there to intervene. My father still gets upset about an incident that happened more than 20 years ago, when he let my younger brother, four years old at the time, out of his sight for a minute, and my brother ran out into the street where a kindly neighbor intercepted him.

• Love 2

I'm furniture browsing (trying to decide what I want) and I hate it when I see a couch in a commercial, or in a web advertisement and can't find it on the company website. I'm not talking about questionable Facebook or Instagram ads, I'm specifically talking about major furniture store advertising.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I'm furniture browsing (trying to decide what I want) and I hate it when I see a couch in a commercial, or in a web advertisement and can't find it on the company website. I'm not talking about questionable Facebook or Instagram ads, I'm specifically talking about major furniture store advertising.

I hate when that happens with clothing. It's happened to me more than once on the Nordstrom page - there's an editorial photo on the homepage of a woman wearing a dress or top that I like, but then I can't find it in their selection (and I worked in retail e-commerce product discovery for a large chunk of my career, so I know better than most people how to find products online).

Speaking of furniture, the lead times for anything custom-upholstered are just crazy now. I'm in the process of moving from a one-bedroom condo to a four-bedroom townhouse so I've been browsing furniture sites as well. If I want anything in a fun color instead of the standard grey or beige I'll have to wait until next year for it to be made.

• Love 3

I need a new exterior pedestrian door for my basement, and the lead time on it is four months!  Granted, it's a custom build because my house is special (old, not square or level any more, etc), but still.  Four months!

• Love 4
15 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I hate when that happens with clothing. It's happened to me more than once on the Nordstrom page - there's an editorial photo on the homepage of a woman wearing a dress or top that I like, but then I can't find it in their selection (and I worked in retail e-commerce product discovery for a large chunk of my career, so I know better than most people how to find products online).

Speaking of furniture, the lead times for anything custom-upholstered are just crazy now. I'm in the process of moving from a one-bedroom condo to a four-bedroom townhouse so I've been browsing furniture sites as well. If I want anything in a fun color instead of the standard grey or beige I'll have to wait until next year for it to be made.

I bought new living room furniture last Feb. I could not believe the dreary colors most places offered. I live in Seattle FFS! I have enough grey, thank you very much.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

Today's peeve: when you spend your morning grating zuchinni and then measuring, mixing, stirring etc and then you wait around for the zuchinni bread to bake and then you finally get it out of the oven and it tastes...not good.  Last time I trust a recipe from the Internet.  I'm going back to good old Betty Crocker.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Today's peeve: when you spend your morning grating zuchinni and then measuring, mixing, stirring etc and then you wait around for the zuchinni bread to bake and then you finally get it out of the oven and it tastes...not good.  Last time I trust a recipe from the Internet.  I'm going back to good old Betty Crocker.

If you haven’t thrown it out yet, perhaps it can be rehabilitated by slicing it, toasting it, and either buttering it or perhaps spreading a little jam or something else on it? Maybe cream cheese? Honey? Cream cheese and honey or jam? Or a thin slice of chees melted on the slice. No?
ETA: I used to make a lot of zucchini bread when my kids were young as a means of getting a vegetable into them.

And I’m going to assume that you, @WinnieWinkle, have zero reasons to think this is a sign of your sense of taste being impacted by Covid (or chemotherapy).

BTW: I talked to my elderly uncle in Florida yesterday. Apparently all of the unvaccinated family members there have Covid —including the husband of my cousin’s widow, and he has been on a ventilator for 2 weeks— and, according to my uncle, all are in denial. My mom always scoffed at her brother’s (my uncle’s) embellished tall tales, but this one could be true. 

Edited by shapeshifter
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

BTW: I talked to my elderly uncle in Florida yesterday. Apparently all of the unvaccinated family members there have Covid —including the husband of my cousin’s widow, and he has been on a ventilator for 2 weeks— and, according to my uncle, all are in denial. My mom always scoffed at her brother’s (my uncle’s) embellished tall tales, but this one could be true. 

Wow.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, ABay said:

Reading about anti-vaxxers and covid deniers who get sick just makes me want to saygiphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47891k5meq8foeypzlht

I would think the same if it weren't for the ripple effect on innocent people. They clog up the hospitals so people who need critical care for other illnesses can't get it, and they also infect people who aren't able to get the vaccine for legitimate health reasons or because they're too young.

• Love 19

It's all so stressful. I can't help but feel mad that my anxiety feels like it's multiplied to make up for people who are not being anxious enough. And that, while they yell about their freedoms, they're the ones kind of restricting those of everyone else who's trying to be careful.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 12

I'm pissed, and yelling at dude-bros who feel the need to tell me what I should REALLY be worried about. One dragged my name in a thread I hadn't been a part of, for two weeks, so I told him where to go. So much for finding peace this week. They like to pile up on me, and I try to be polite. They aren't affected by certain things I've heard about this week. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 7

This is a first world pet peeve but ...

I got a pair of tights that I was assured were the most comfortable, durable tights there ever was. I got a great deal for them.

And so I got them. And they ARE so comfortable and durable. 

The bad thing is ... when they mean "glossy" they really mean "blindingly shiny." It looks like I borrowed Beyonce's legs. In fact, I read that Beyonce goes for that look precisely because on a dark stage the shiny tights stand out more.

I have noticed that matte tights don't have the soft feel of these "glossy" tights. 

So ... my pet peeve is overdone "gloss" on tights that make you look like you and Beyonce switched legs for a day.

c6c66686caf97316d1ed974d34c75b5a.jpg

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

I'm cracking up! I'm reminded of having to wear Hanes L'Eggs hosiery in "Suntan" shade when I went to church as a teenager. They were so shiny yet so delicate. I haven't worn hose/tights in probably 25 years. I refuse!

The only good thing about the situation is that my grandmother worked at Hanes, so we never had to pay for hose, underwear, socks and slips. But that's also what we got for Christmas.

Edited by bilgistic
  • LOL 7
  • Love 3
35 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

This is a first world pet peeve but ...

I got a pair of tights that I was assured were the most comfortable, durable tights there ever was. I got a great deal for them.

And so I got them. And they ARE so comfortable and durable. 

The bad thing is ... when they mean "glossy" they really mean "blindingly shiny." It looks like I borrowed Beyonce's legs. In fact, I read that Beyonce goes for that look precisely because on a dark stage the shiny tights stand out more.

I have noticed that matte tights don't have the soft feel of these "glossy" tights. 

So ... my pet peeve is overdone "gloss" on tights that make you look like you and Beyonce switched legs for a day.

c6c66686caf97316d1ed974d34c75b5a.jpg

I could cope with shiny tights if it meant swapping my stumpy, under-exercised, flabby thunder thighs with Beyonce's wonders.

• LOL 9
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I'm cracking up! I'm reminded of having to wear Hanes L"Eggs hosiery in "Suntan" shade when I went to church as a teenager. They were so shiny yet so delicate. I haven't worn hose/tights in probably 25 years. I refuse!

The only good thing about the situation is that my grandmother worked at Hanes, so we never had to pay for hose, underwear, socks and slips. But that's also what we got for Christmas.

Oh I actually am starting to like them for the winter months. You can wear them with sweater dresses. Also where I live it rains like every other day in the fall and tights are a good way to stay dry.

The thing is that "matte" tights seem to be made with some sort of scratchy fiber, while the shiny tights are made with a softer fiber. So if you want durable + comfortable you have to get the "glossy" tights. I just never expected them to be THIS glossy. Holy shit.

Just now, Leeds said:

I could cope with shiny tights if it meant swapping my stumpy, under-exercised, flabby thunder thighs with Beyonce's wonders.

LOL I do not have Beyonce's leg shape either. But if you get glossy tights, your legs can look just as shiny!!!

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I'm cracking up! I'm reminded of having to wear Hanes L"Eggs hosiery in "Suntan" shade when I went to church as a teenager. They were so shiny yet so delicate. I haven't worn hose/tights in probably 25 years. I refuse!

I wonder if "Suntan" is the same shade as the hideous yet ubiquitous "American tan" I grew up with in 1970s England?

• Useful 1
Just now, Leeds said:

I wonder if "Suntan" is the same shade as the hideous yet ubiquitous "American tan" I grew up with in 1970s England?

Probably. I just wore the Nude shade. They weren't shiny at all and were really sheer. My mom used to have a fit about me buying them because the packaging (the plastic "egg") was so bad for the environment. My mom was ahead of her time for the 1970's.

• Love 12
30 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

YUP! There is a direct correlation between "comfort/the right amount of stretch" and "way too shiny"! I have this problem in finding the perfect black tights-- well, had, considering I have no real need for black tights anymore.

The tights in question are the Wolford Neon 40's. They were having a big sale and I got two for a good price after plugging in some coupon codes. And they truly are the perfect black tights -- so much stretch, no scratchiness, smooth feel. But holy mother of Jesus, the shine!

I've also gotten Hue Glossy tights which also look like Beyonce's legs.

I wonder why if you want stretch, they need the shine.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1

Maybe lycra is inherently shiny? 

Man, this reminds me of the Old Navy tights of yore! Somehow soft and matte and beautifully opaque, plus durable with that perfect amount of "snap back" (no baggy knee!) -- and they were about $7.00! God damn it.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Probably. I just wore the Nude shade. They weren't shiny at all and were really sheer. My mom used to have a fit about me buying them because the packaging (the plastic "egg") was so bad for the environment. My mom was ahead of her time for the 1970's.

I don't know if my mother was ahead of her time, as in wanting to save the environment by avoiding unnecessary waste, or just an archetypal thrifty Yorkshirewoman who grew up during WWII, but if I got a hole in my tights (20 denier) I had to darn them.  No just getting a new pair.  I now appreciate both approaches, but I hated it (them?) at the time, when all I wanted was a new pair of tights.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Leeds said:

I don't know if my mother was ahead of her time, as in wanting to save the environment by avoiding unnecessary waste, or just an archetypal thrifty Yorkshirewoman who grew up during WWII, but if I got a hole in my tights (20 denier) I had to darn them.  No just getting a new pair.  I now appreciate both approaches, but I hated it (them?) at the time, when all I wanted was a new pair of tights.

Nah. She was just a hippie.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Nah. She was just a hippie.

This made me genuinely laugh out loud - truly a rare thing (especially since I'm alone, when apparently actually laughing out loud is unusual).  Anyway, the thought of my mum as a hippy will keep my spirits up for days, and I may just have to email my siblings so I can share the joy.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Leeds said:

This made me genuinely laugh out loud - truly a rare thing (especially since I'm alone, when apparently actually laughing out loud is unusual).  Anyway, the thought of my mum as a hippy will keep my spirits up for days, and I may just have to email my siblings so I can share the joy.

I'm glad! You should have seen her. My parents built this really rustic house in the middle of this very upper crusty type enclave. There was a big stone fireplace in the living room and she would sit in front of the fireplace with her macrame hanging from a hook in one of the beams on the ceiling and work away the evenings. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

In the 1960s pantyhose would get "runs" that we would stop with clear nail polish.

By the 1970s I was a hippie. 

Oh yes, the clear nail polish trick, which had the added benefit of taking out a few leg hairs if applied while still wearing the tights.

2 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Ok just to give people an idea how shiny these tights are. As I said, they are so comfortable and stretchy but they look like Beyonce's legs.

20210903_182513 (3).jpg

Can you even feel your toes?

• LOL 7
13 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

No. It definitely feels like I ran into Barclay Center courtside, kidnapped Queen Bey, and stole her legs.

Also, and I'm haven't watched anything Star Trek related for years, but they kind of look like Ordo.   (Why yes, I have too much time on my hands.)

image.png.e16ca43487a2f5a5f91c4ff6cf1aa21b.png

• LOL 6
3 minutes ago, Leeds said:

Also, and I'm haven't watched anything Star Trek related for years, but they kind of look like Ordo.   (Why yes, I have too much time on my hands.)

image.png.e16ca43487a2f5a5f91c4ff6cf1aa21b.png

I was also thinking they look a lot like the NBA Finals trophies:

DCO_osWXkAEtK9J.jpg

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • LOL 3

I'm also annoyed at the deceptive advertising of the sales lady. I said I wanted "comfortable and durable." She fulfilled the end of that bargain, but she didn't tell me that I'd look like Beyonce's legs/NBA Finals Trophies/Ordo.

They also look a bit like Valentino the designer:

Valentino-2009.jpg

• LOL 2

I have not laughed this hard (literally laughed) at something online in a long time. It's been a week. Thank you.

My tight related peeve is Target used to sell these amazing Xhilaration branded tights. They were soft, durable and did not make you look like you fell into a pile of Lisa Frank nonsense. But they were discontinued years ago and replaced with some awful fabric masquerading as tights.

I actually hate tights and nylons. These were the first type I could wear in forever. Meh.

Also: apparently Lisa Frank leggings are a real thing

image.thumb.png.99dddfdf3f9fb07b3667c07e1d34938c.png

Edited by theredhead77
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 9/1/2021 at 5:31 AM, icemiser69 said:

Those salads are easy to make at home at probably one third the cost of buying the pre-made versions.  I can make them to suit my own tastes, without adding too much pepper, which seems to be a trend in both the macaroni and potato salads.  I am not a big fan of white pepper.  I would rather have them use black pepper.  The visual of black ground pepper in a deli salad has never bothered me. 

I find the deli salads to be very heavy handed with vinegar.  Doesn't seem to matter which one I try - too much vinegar.

• Love 4
On 9/1/2021 at 3:56 PM, peacheslatour said:

I have this recipe for green pea soup that calls for 16 oz. of spinach. I just gab a couple handfuls from the salad bar at my grocery.

Did your grocery start up their salad bar?  Ours is still down, and now I'm wondering if it will return any time soon.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Did your grocery start up their salad bar?  Ours is still down, and now I'm wondering if it will return any time soon.

No. Sadly, I'm afraid the salad bar is going the way of the buggy whip and blowing out candles on your birthday cake.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I have not laughed this hard (literally laughed) at something online in a long time. It's been a week. Thank you.

My tight related peeve is Target used to sell these amazing Xhilaration branded tights. They were soft, durable and did not make you look like you fell into a pile of Lisa Frank nonsense. But they were discontinued years ago and replaced with some awful fabric masquerading as tights.

I actually hate tights and nylons. These were the first type I could wear in forever. Meh.

These are fairly good at being durable, soft, and not as shiny as the other Hue hose.

https://hue.com/run-resistance-sheer-with-control-top/

So I did some research and found out why glossy hose are so comfortable.

Apparently, matte pantyhose are usually control top and thus contain more spandex. That gives it the tight, control-top feel and matte look. Glossy hose use less spandex and more "silky" fibers which give it that soft feel.

So basically, the softer, the shinier.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

These are fairly good at being durable, soft, and not as shiny as the other Hue hose.

https://hue.com/run-resistance-sheer-with-control-top/

Thanks. I will keep this in mind if I need to find something my current tights don't cover. I'm not a skirt / dress person so it's rare that I am in that situation. I did find some kick ass feetless leggings at Costco. The Matty M "wear anywhere" leggings are a great replacement for tights.

28 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

No. Sadly, I'm afraid the salad bar is going the way of the buggy whip and blowing out candles on your birthday cake.

Our NYC delis have reopened their salad bars.  That's places you get lunch downtown while at work.  NYC supermarkets rarely have salad bars, as they are too small to devote the space.  Whole Foods is an exception.

45 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

the husband of my cousin’s widow

I have been turning my brain inside out trying to cipher this one, lol.  So your cousin remarried?  I'm so confused, lol.

My cousin passed about 6 years ago. His wife remarried, hence my reference to "the husband of my cousin's widow."
But just because I managed to say it correctly doesn't make it clear.
Plus, just to add to the confusion:
My cousin was adopted. When his (also adopted) sister did an Ancestry research, it turned out my cousin's birth father had the exact same first and last name as my cousin and a son with those names. Purely coincidental. It was a sealed adoption. The Anglicized last name of my mom's and uncle's family is a very common name, and my late cousin's first name was very common too.
More confused now?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1

Ongoing peeve -- the people who refuse to wear masks and refuse to get vaccinated, then whine and complain (loudly!) that schools are shutting down.  D'ya think there might be a correlation there?

Also, damn, those are some shiny tights!

• Love 17

This is a fun thread.  I just want to add that tights and pantyhose are the worst.   I used to wear L'Eggs, but they would run after one wearing.  Too bad I couldn't get them for free like @bilgistic.   I tried more opaque tights, but they were often uncomfortable. I gained some weight as I got older, and none of the tights would fit properly anymore.  Fortunately, it became acceptable--in fact, more fashionable--to go out with bare legs even with business attire.  You can thank Sex and the City for this.  No tights for me!  In the winter, if it's too cold, I wear boots. 

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 4