Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

13 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Mine run around crazy while making wee teeny-tiny whiny noises as if their hearts are breaking that a bug is in the house. Then my BF picks them up over his head (one at a time) and helps them to "get it!"

I had a cat that would beg me to pick him up in order to catch flies, moths, and any other flying bug he saw. He would just yowl until I picked him up and helped him chase the bugs around. It was cute and sometimes annoying.

• Love 4

BooksRule, are you someone who tends toward frequent bouts of "Holy shit, I could make this even better!" Because I kind of am...and I also sometimes wait until the last minute to do stuff because of it--freelance writing assignments, for instance (as well as just about every paper I ever wrote in college); if I finish the thing with too much time to spare, I will likely find a bazillion things that I just "need" to change instead of leaving well enough alone.

Yes, I tend to do that.  I need to find that good balance of not waiting until the last minute and stressing myself out and not doing it so far ahead that I go back and fiddle with it until I screw it up.  Back in college I used to do my research well in advance (which may be one habit that eventually turned me into a research librarian), but I would wait until the weekend before a Monday due date to actually write my research paper.  

I think I'm just about finished with the review.  I'm going out to campus so I can look at the letter again on my work computer (the laptop I use tends to goof up spacing/formatting on my Word documents now and then, so I don't want to trust it for my final proofreading).  I'll just need to print it out and get into the mail.  I'll send an electronic copy to the committee chair on Monday.  Then I can relax, come home and do some much-needed housework (it's supposed to be rainy most of the day so I can't do any yardwork). 

• Love 1

When it comes to procrastinating, I've developed a talent for changing the deadline. Instead of "I must do this now," I change it to "I should do that by the end of the month. End of the month will be okay."

• Love 1
(edited)

I am peeved at technology today, iPhone storage in particular. I am also peeved at myself for being dumb at technology (MB? GB? I hate you both); I swear, I do whatever the techie folks online say to do, and it does not work! Plus, I think there is stuff that might work but I just do not understand the language, man! 

Can I just go somewhere, hand my various i-devices to someone, and say, "Just make them do what I want. OK, bye." Because on top of all that, I fully admit to not wanting to know how it all works!

As far as procrastinating, I am not terrible but there are some things. I'm generally neater than most people, and keep the house clean. But my bathroom suffers. It's upstairs way at the end of a hall, and we have another downstairs. So by the time I do the rest of the house, I say "fuck it" to mine--no one but me uses it too often. So, while I like clean, I am also somehow content to leave a few blond hairballs on the floor until I get to to. I am A Gross.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I am peeved at technology today, iPhone storage in particular. I am also peeved at myself for being dumb at technology (MB? GB? I hate you both); I swear, I do whatever the techie folks online say to do, and it does not work! Plus, I think there is stuff that might work but I just do not understand the language, man! 

Can I just go somewhere, hand my various i-devices to someone, and say, "Just make them do what I want. OK, bye." Because on top of all that, I fully admit to not wanting to know how it all works!

As far as procrastinating, I am not terrible but there are some things. I'm generally neater than most people, and keep the house clean. But my bathroom suffers. It's upstairs way at the end of a hall, and we have another downstairs. So by the time I do the rest of the house, I say "fuck it" to mine--no one but me uses it too often. So, while I like clean, I am also somehow content to leave a few blond hairballs on the floor until I get to to. I am A Gross.

As someone who works in IT (and who has spent some time on IT Support), and can empathise. Non-techie folk just don't want to know about all the techno-babble us techies bore people with in order to justify our existence. All most people want is just a button on their device that says "fix it" and everyone will be happy. 

Trouble is, the big IT companies - Microsoft, Apple et al  -love to make our lives (IT Support and "ordinary" folk) difficult by making changes, "improvements" and bug-fixes. Which usually resolve a couple of problems, but generate 10 more. :(

• Love 2
On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 10:56 PM, Nordly Beaumont said:

Kind of a weird pet peeve, but we have a large bathroom at work. 12 stalls and a door at each end. The stall doors don't close if they aren't locked, so you know when someone is in the stall. 9 times out of 10 if I'm the only one in there, the next woman will come in and pick the stall right next to me. Bonus points if she poops. Wins it all if she has explosive diarrhea (that actually happened once - I'd want to be as far away from people as possible!) Once I was in the stall by one door and someone came in the other an walked past 10 empty stalls to sit and poop by me. Thanks for sharing! I mean, I don't have a shy bladder, and yeah, there's partitions and everything, but it just strikes me as odd. And it peeves me.

I don't know if this could explain your situation, but I worked somewhere once where I had a "default" stall.  If that stall was open, that was where I was going.  I don't even really know why.  But, that was my stall.  And I was using it.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Only Zola said:

As someone who works in IT (and who has spent some time on IT Support), and can empathise. Non-techie folk just don't want to know about all the techno-babble us techies bore people with in order to justify our existence. All most people want is just a button on their device that says "fix it" and everyone will be happy. 

Trouble is, the big IT companies - Microsoft, Apple et al  -love to make our lives (IT Support and "ordinary" folk) difficult by making changes, "improvements" and bug-fixes. Which usually resolve a couple of problems, but generate 10 more. :(

Am I crazy in thinking that iTunes and the like was much more user friendly in its infancy? I was even dumber in 2005-ish and managed my iTunes just fine!

• Love 2

On the subject of bathrooms, where I work there are 4 regular stalls and a handicap.  I never use the handicap.   Of the other 4, I have a favorite, if it's available, has toilet paper and is clean I will use it regardless of who's in the others.  I try to avoid the first one cause the door doesn't really stay closed and having tp and being clean are my priorities for choosing a stall.  

• Love 1
On 7/28/2017 at 6:34 PM, TattleTeeny said:

Mine run around crazy while making wee teeny-tiny whiny noises as if their hearts are breaking that a bug is in the house. 

I call it their "Mommy, Mommy, a bug!" dance. Or my bug alarm.

• Love 2
On 7/27/2017 at 8:01 PM, ennui said:

My pet peeve ... people who feel the need to park next to me in an empty parking lot.

My version of this is people who feel the need to sit right next to you on a mostly empty train. Totally creepy!    I actually HAVE been known to shout WTF? you've got the WHOLE GODDAMNED CAR to sit in??!!??  I always move to another car but I am always Peeved that I'm the one that moves.  On the other hand, survival is always a plus.:)

• Love 5
1 hour ago, riley702 said:

I call it their "Mommy, Mommy, a bug!" dance. Or my bug alarm.

I actually saw one before they did tonight, which is rare--they notice the tiniest things! I got it outside before they could freak out, though they had accusatory looks on their faces when I came back in.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Am I crazy in thinking that iTunes and the like was much more user friendly in its infancy? I was even dumber in 2005-ish and managed my iTunes just fine!

It probably was easier because the design at that time favored putting things in more obvious and generally static menus, whereas current design favors menu whose contents change depending upon the context. This leads to requiring you to know how to get back into that context.

• Love 2
(edited)

All I know is that everything I put into it, I could listen to with the press of a single button. And now, with each day, I have no idea what songs may suddenly not play (even though they were fine last week) due to needing to be redownloaded or some shit! And the fact that the song collection varies from phone to iPod to laptop to AppleTV is baffling! Shut up, iTunes!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1

OK, this may seem rando, but a post about endangered tigers in a sister forum reminded me of a gigantic peeve - no, that would be undying and everlasting HATRED for anyone who thinks an exotic animal is OK as a pet.

People just piss me off, for the most part.

• Love 11
(edited)

And people can lose me with their vacation photos of interactive animal attractions too, particularly if those people often profess to be well versed in animal advocacy. Yes, I get totally the allure--who wouldn't want to be able do some of these things? I want to too, in one sense; I bet it's incredible and invigorating and warms one's heart. But come on; please think about what is really being supported and do a little research. 

(As for people who legitimately just don't know, I can understand. Really, it's not difficult to assume that, because something is allowed, it must be perfectly safe and OK and comfortable for the animals. Why wouldn't we think that, you know? I get it.)

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4
On 7/27/2017 at 9:58 AM, TattleTeeny said:

The peeve that won't die: When you say "no onions" but you get onions! 

Even peevier: "Just pull them off!"

(A) Won't work; might as well eat them and get whatever dubious nutrition is in there (before I barf it up, at least), as the taste remains no matter what you do with the actual onions. 

(B) Even if A were not true, do you think I couldn't have thought of that strategy myself?

It's even worse when you say "no mayo". It's like they simply don't believe you and smear it on anyway. Mayonnaise makes me gag so no I'm not going to "just scrape it off". You can still taste it dumbass.

• Love 6
(edited)

Haha, and you know what? When they take my food away as if they're gonna make a new one for me, I can totally tell when they just lifted/scraped off the onions! Guess what, everyone--that lettuce, tomato, and onion combo that tops a burger is pre-assembled and placed on a tray in the refrigerator until its needed; that oniony badness infects its neighbors as time passes!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Guess what, everyone--that lettuce, tomato, and onion combo that tops a burger is pre-assembled and placed on a tray in the refrigerator

Is that how they do it now? My first job was fast food, and we sliced everything by hand and kept everything separate, just for the people who don't want tomato or onion. Granted, that was several years ago (*cough*).

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm sure everywhere doesn't; I'm basing that on my decades-ago jobs as a server in casual-dining places. Sometimes the sidewalk included preparing the topping and the salad bar and stuff like that.

Edited by TattleTeeny
Side WORK, not sidewalk. Oy.
  • Love 1
(edited)

Put ketchup on your food before you send it back.  That's how you know you are getting fresh french fries, rather than having your stale ones reheated. 

Edited by Quof
  • Love 7
(edited)

My FB annoyance: I'm so over seeing the "TGIF" posts and the "Ughomigod its going to be Monday again" posts every single week. I think the Monday ones are the most irritating ones, because people act like its Monday's fault that it just so happens to be the first day of their work week. If we "got rid of Mondays" like some memes say, then the first day of the work week would be Tuesday and they would bitch about that. And I guess I just don't hate Mondays/the first day of the work week.  I usually feel recharged by the time my weekend is over.

Its Thursdays that are my "peeve" day. 4 days of adulting is tiring and then there is still one more day left to slog through. But Thursdays (and Tuesdays for that matter) aren't memeworthy days I guess.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 5

I unfriended my sister's ex-mother-in-law because I got tired of seeing her post some nonsense meme (Minions, Garfield, etc.) for every damn day of the week, every week. Obviously, the relationship wasn't that close anyway.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Its Thursdays that are my "peeve" day. 4 days of adulting is tiring and then there is still one more day left to slog through. But Thursdays (and Tuesdays for that matter) aren't memeworthy days I guess.

Tuesdays bother me even more than Mondays and/or Thursdays. That's the most random day of the week that somehow makes it feel like the week is never ending---at least Thursdays are one day before Friday, so it feels like the silent preface to the weekend. I hit happy hour a lot on Tuesdays just to spice things up and make the day somehow feel more special; I guess most everyone else agrees since most bars have regular specials on that day(("two-for-one", "taco Tuesday", etc)).

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Bastet said:

That's me with mustard.  I hate it, and if they forget and slather it on, there's no scraping if off -- it's bread!  That shit is in there now.

LOL. I love mustard. I try all different kinds of mustards, provided they don't have high fructose corn syrup in them (I read labels). My wife will actively try to keep me away from the mustard section because she knows I'm going to have to stop and look to see if they have anything new or anything I haven't tried before. I recently picked up this horseradish-garlic mustard. It overpowers the flavor of the meat in the buffalo burgers we had last week, but it is fantastic on bratwurst! I'm dying to go to the National Mustard Museum .... which I only just realized is in Middleton, WI. How did I not know this before?!? I used to live in Sun Prairie! AUUUUUUGHHHH! (At least I can shop there online.)

18 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Haha, and you know what? When they take my food away as if they're gonna make a new one for me, I can totally tell when they just lifted/scraped off the onions! Guess what, everyone--that lettuce, tomato, and onion combo that tops a burger is pre-assembled and placed on a tray in the refrigerator until its needed; that oniony badness infects its neighbors as time passes!

I very much doubt they are pre-assembled. Even fast food doesn't do this. The lettuce would wilt, while the tomato and onion would desiccate. Certainly, everything is pre-sliced and placed into separate covered containers. However, pre-assembly would mean that these ingredients aren't fresh and customers will know that.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

My FB annoyance: I'm so over seeing the "TGIF" posts and the "Ughomigod its going to be Monday again" posts every single week. I think the Monday ones are the most irritating ones, because people act like its Monday's fault that it just so happens to be the first day of their work week. If we "got rid of Mondays" like some memes say, then the first day of the work week would be Tuesday and they would bitch about that. And I guess I just don't hate Mondays/the first day of the work week.  I usually feel recharged by the time my weekend is over.

Well, I tend to post TGIF posts, but they're usually a couple short sentences. I agree with you on the Monday posts and how people would generally hate Tuesday instead if that were the first day of the work week. At the same time, if we only worked four days a week, I don't think people would hate the first day of the work week so much and I think the TGIF attitude would also diminish. As for Thursday not being meme-worthy, I submit to you....

thursday.jpg

• Love 8
(edited)

I very much doubt they are pre-assembled. Even fast food doesn't do this. The lettuce would wilt, while the tomato and onion would desiccate. Certainly, everything is pre-sliced and placed into separate covered containers. However, pre-assembly would mean that these ingredients aren't fresh and customers will know that.

I don't know about now, as I work in an office, but they very much were in the three (four?) different restaurants I worked. At opening, a server would lay out, in stack formation, a leaf of iceberg lettuce, a slice of tomato, and a ring of raw onion. Those stacks are placed on large stainless steel trays that hold maybe 24 of them (like the way you'd arrange cookie dough), and the trays are placed on shelves in the walk-in refrigerator. As far as I saw, the lettuce stayed fine. The ingredients for this are as fresh as those of the salad-prep area as they all come from the same batch of produce in the mornings, though salads were always put together at the time of the order. And i still can taste the onion even if it's removed; that's why I still tell them to keep the lettuce and tomato too. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I don't know about now, as I work in an office, but they very much were in the three (four?) different restaurants I worked. At opening, a server would lay out, in stack formation, a leaf of iceberg lettuce, a slice of tomato, and a ring of raw onion. Those stacks are placed on large stainless steel trays that hold maybe 24 of them (like the way you'd arrange cookie dough), and the trays are placed on shelves in the walk-in refrigerator. As far as I saw, the lettuce stayed fine. The ingredients for this are as fresh as those of the salad-prep area as they all come from the same batch of produce in the mornings, though salads were always put together at the time of the order. And i still can taste the onion even if it's removed; that's why I still tell them to keep the lettuce and tomato too. 

Consider me gobsmacked, then. I've never seen this and would be appalled to be served food prepared in such a way. It doesn't require much time to cut an onion or tomato into slices and store the slices in a separate container. I can't see that they're gaining any real time savings from doing it the way you describe.

As for the italicized part, absolutely you can still taste the onion once it's been removed. So I certainly don't blame you for having them hold the lettuce and tomato. I think it's unfortunate that you have to give those toppings up in order to escape all onion flavor. My wife doesn't like onions, either. I can't think of a place we've been where her food still tasted of onions, even after requesting the onions be held, and I know she would send it back because of that.

• Love 1
(edited)

@TATTLETEENY  I believe you that they prepped the lettuce, tomato and onion, because it was probably the most popular request, or a signature request for a burger or sandwich, so it made for ease of preparing food. Didn't they also just have some lettuce, tomato, onion stored separately, for special orders? Because to me, the time saving costs versus the waste factor costs would be higher on the waste factor, if they had to just throw away the onion. It wouldn't even be just the onion that would be wasted because for me, I Iike lettuce and tomato, but I don't like them together on a sandwich. It is either lettuce and onion, or tomato and onion, never the lettuce and tomato together.

Oh, yeah--of course; if someone asked, I assume most of us would acquiesce (because, hey! Tips! And also "do unto others.). It just wasn't SOP, and the general training instruction was "just pull it off then." If they didn't mention to hold the whatever, they got the whatever. Plus, the tomatoes on the salad line were wedges and not round flat slices (and the lettuce was torn up and mixed with Romaine, as opposed to one bigger leaf of iceberg), so to switch out the pre-assembled stuff for a customer's burger involved finding a spankin' new tomato and cutting it up yourself.

Haha, one place used to charge servers a quarter every time they were caught grabbing something "unauthorized" off the salad line, whether for him- or herself (to shove into our faces during a double-shift) or because a customer wanted to add or substitute.  That same place refused to let us reveal the super-secret "homemade" spicy-ranch dressing recipe to those who asked! All it was was a giant jug of generic ranch mixed with Frank's Red Hot!

Consider me gobsmacked, then. I've never seen this and would be appalled to be served food prepared in such a way. It doesn't require much time to cut an onion or tomato into slices and store the slices in a separate container. I can't see that they're gaining any real time savings from doing it the way you describe.

Well, stopping to open containers and slice something once or twice, no--but for 25 customers over the course of an hour might be. I suppose size of kitchen staff makes a difference too, as well as busyness at peak hours, location, and whatever (oh, and also whether the managers even care). The places I worked at didn't usually have a server relegated to salad/dessert prep on weekdays, even though the place was close to an office park and a big mall, which meant busy lunch hours. Honestly though, I did wonder back then why they did not just add those burger fixin's to the salad-prep area. Salad tomatoes here, burger ones there! Problem solved! But that turned out to be the least of my concerns in food service (like why did we have to share tips with bartenders even for tabs that contained no alcohol?!).  Blech. 

ToofFairy?  

Hahhahahahaa! That made me snort a little! It reminded me of a lady I used to work with who called chicken pox "chicken pops." She also tended to put an S at the end of words/names that didn't actually have one.

Edited by TattleTeeny
13 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

That is a peeve of mine, stupid license plates. I get wanting to have one, I hate when you want one so bad that you have one that makes no sense at all, usually because the ones that make sense are already taken. I wanted to tell the lady I knew, Your license plate is so damn stupid!, because it said FRMWIf. She was a farm whiff?? I also am beyond the obvious plays on words. ToofFairy?  They look ridiculous, just to let people know they work with teeth? I wish people would be more creative, obscure even, in relating the letters to what they want to say. Like Doctor, Doctor1, DCTR, etc. But anyway, circling around, I thought of you two and said to myself, those two would never have such stupid license plates. It would be something fantastic, clever. 

I've been debating for over a year now whether to get the plate "TUXKART" or "STUXKRT" on my car, which happens to be a red Saturn L200. It would probably annoy you (and probably already does). It requires the reader to have knowledge of several things:

1. That the penguin mascot for Linux is called "Tux".
  2. That a game called "Super Tux Kart" exists.
  3. That in that game, Tux drives a small red gokart.
  4. That driving a Saturn L200 feels a lot like driving a gokart (because it's so low to the ground and, for what it is, fairly zippy).

And those are all the reasons why I think my plate idea is so awesome. I just haven't gotten it because it's too memorable and Minnesota drivers are terrible and incredibly rude drivers (I'm a Wisconsin driver masquerading as a Minnesota driver).

one place used to charge servers a quarter every time they were caught grabbing something "unauthorized" off the salad line, whether for him- or herself (to shove into our faces during a double-shift) or because a customer wanted to add or substitute.

I was once in a fast food sandwich/coffee shop behind a SanctiMommy who was bitching out the cashier because she just wanted some cheese slices for her kid. The cashier explained she couldn't do that - the only cheese they had was for ham and cheese sandwiches, and it was all carefully packaged and shipped so that the cheese inventory matched the ham.  Here's a clue, mother - buy a damned sandwich and give your kid the cheese.  The cashier isn't paid enough to explain Corporate Policy to you.  

• Love 9
29 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Well, stopping to open containers and slice something once or twice, no--but for 25 customers over the course of an hour might be. 

You just pre-slice several tomatoes and keep them in a covered container. Same with the onions and lettuce. Hell, Subway does this and most of their condiments aren't even covered. When I worked McD's, you just sliced up a bunch of tomatoes and kept them in a covered container right there on the workstation. Opening the container isn't some Herculean task; you just take the lid off. It's not like the lid seals to the container like Tupperware; it just sits there on top of the container. These places that stack all this stuff up and shove it in a walk-in cooler are doing it wrong. They're actually making more work for themselves because whenever they run out of this stuff, they have to go to the cooler to get it. When McD's runs out, they just slice up a bunch right there and put it in the container.

• Love 1
(edited)

You just pre-slice several tomatoes and keep them in a covered container. Same with the onions and lettuce. Hell, Subway does this and most of their condiments aren't even covered. When I worked McD's, you just sliced up a bunch of tomatoes and kept them in a covered container right there on the workstation. Opening the container isn't some Herculean task; you just take the lid off. It's not like the lid seals to the container like Tupperware; it just sits there on top of the container. These places that stack all this stuff up and shove it in a walk-in cooler are doing it wrong. They're actually making more work for themselves because whenever they run out of this stuff, they have to go to the cooler to get it. When McD's runs out, they just slice up a bunch right there and put it in the container.

But who is the "you" is the thing. Of course it's not Herculean but it's time-consuming, and waiting tables is not a one-customer-at-a-time job; grabbing one thing is indeed faster than opening and assembling for a dozen people during a busy lunchtime. Subway workers are not waiting 8 to 12 tables of people while running back and forth to a kitchen, soda fountain, and/or bar. I don't profess to know why or how this stuff came to be, or who decided it; I just know that it was the norm in places I worked (all different places but similar in style, price, clientele, and that kind of thing...i.e., nothin' fancy). It was not a big deal to grab the L/T/O thing--cook puts up the plate, you grab it from under that hot light, place it on the tray with the rest of table's food, and add the L/T/O just before you head out the (hopefully correct!) door. 

I don't want to belabor this or anything; just trying to offer what I know. Or, mercifully, knew in the past! But now that I think about this, it is definitely silly to not have at least made a half-tray of non-onion ones. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

But who is the "you" is the thing. Of course it's not Herculean but it's time-consuming, and waiting tables is not a one-customer-at-a-time job; grabbing one thing is indeed faster than opening and assembling for a dozen people during a busy lunchtime. Subway workers are not waiting 8 to 12 tables of people while running back and forth to a kitchen, soda fountain, and/or bar. I don't profess to know why or how this stuff came to be, or who decided it; I just know that it was the norm in places I worked (all different places but similar in style, price, clientele, and that kind of thing...i.e., nothin' fancy). It was not a big deal to grab the L/T/O thing--cook puts up the plate, you grab it from under that hot light, place it on the tray with the rest of table's food, and add the L/T/O just before you head out the (hopefully correct!) door. 

I don't want to belabor this or anything; just trying to offer what I know. Or, mercifully, knew in the past! But now that I think about this, it is definitely silly to not have at least made a half-tray of non-onion ones. 

The person making the food. Why would the servers be responsible for slicing onions and tomatoes?

(edited)

Servers are responsible for lots of non-serving stuff (replenishing the salad line, filling ice, putting together the little knife-fork-napkin bundles, making coffee...). But yes, those things were typically sliced by a kitchen person early in the day. Servers then put them together. The places I worked did not have a person dedicated to tomatoes. Once the place opens, the dude who sliced tomatoes is behind a stove. If he were to put it all on the burger there, the tomato and lettuce would get hot under the lights. I really don't know what else to say about it--it's busy in places like this so they do it that way. Of course it's not carved in stone, and there's always a way around it when a customer asks specifically, but as a rule, that's how it worked. Same with pickles!

Back to peeves though -- people who would bring little kids to these restaurants and insist that their child did not need a sippy cup! Oy, orange soda (because it was always orange soda) everywhere. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4

@TattleTeeny, I always hated it when I went to a restaurant that did not offer a cup with a lid and a straw for my small child. And I'm not talking abour fancy restaurants where you shouldn't be taking children anyway. I mean places that bill themselves as family restaurants. Some will have regular cups with no lids or straws for kids, or they will have cups with lids and straws, but the cups are so big and the straws so tall that the kid has to pick it up and move it below the table to drink -- if he doesn't just tip it. I loved places with bendy straws for kids so the kids can position the straw to where their mouth is instead of having to move the cup in a way that almost guarantees a spill.

• Love 2

I always wondered if it was because the little kid had graduated to "big people" cups at home, and was somehow offended by using the "baby cup" out in public! When I worked at a Barnes & Noble, I had a similar peeve when people would insist that their kids could pay for their own books--because maybe the kid was learning about money at school or something and wanted to use his new knowledge? Commence the tiny, tippy-toeing toddler rooting through, like, an animal-cracker box serving as a purse and hurling pennies, crumbs, and buttons across the counter while people on line pretended not to be annoyed.

• Love 6
(edited)

Cyclists can sometimes be a law to themselves (and I speak as a cyclist myself). 

Quite a few times some cyclists won't stop at red lights, or will filter down slow-moving lanes and the turn without indicating; or will ignore road signs; cross pedestrian crossings while pedestrians are crossing. Or that during the winter months a small minority make little or no effort to make themselves visible in the dark, expecting drivers to keep an eye out for them instead.

Yet if you cut them up or get too close, they remonstrate quite loudly, often siting the "Don't you know your Highway Code and that cyclists have priority?" trope.

I know that some drivers of motorised vehicles have plenty of short-comings too, but cyclists have a great deal more to lose; plus they don't have to take any tests or even insure themselves. So anyone can take to the road young or old.

As a part-time cyclist myself, it can become quite intimidating on the road from truck, bus or car drivers; but I also get overtaken by the "lycra" set of cyclists, all geared up like Tour de France competitors, pushing all and sundry out of their way. 

I guess there are plenty of asshats on nearly all modes of transport

Edited by Only Zola
  • Love 7

Dang!!  I'm stoked to find this thread!  Just last night I was thinking of starting my own here.

1. People who don't put their shopping carts back where they belong.  Whether they leave it behind in the checkout line after a purchase is made (I'm always quick to yell out, " Hey, you forgot something!") or -- worse -- in the parking lot, taking up a whole space or close to one.   No excuses accepted.  If you were able to push the damn thing around the store, you're able to dig into your reservoir of strength to walk it 10 feet to the cart corral nearby.

Once I was at a Walgreens right after my knee had given out.  I waited until someone got out of his car, and asked, Can you please wheel this back to the store, I can't walk without it! ("Wonder Woman!!...")

2. Men who aren't fans of the team whose jersey/tee/hat they're wearing.  (Yeah, I don't like it in women either,  but am more inclined to give my own sex a pass for "I look good in this color")  Guys: unless  you're doing the Walk of Shame and were forced to don your ONS's Astros shersey: Take. It. Off.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

@MrSmith  That license is exactly the kind of obscure thing that I meant. Something that makes sense, you just have to either ask or "know" the hidden message is perfect. It is the "going to get this license with the word I want no matter how stupid it is because it makes no sense" is my peeve. The example I used, frmwif, irritates me because she was determined to be acknowledged as a farmer's wife, and yet in the end she is just a farm whiff. Or hell even a firm whiff, who the hell knows? because the abbreviation makes NO SENSE!!

Yeah, she would have been better off with "FARMWF".

11 hours ago, MrSmith said:

I've been debating for over a year now whether to get the plate "TUXKART" or "STUXKRT" on my car

And you will likely be the only person who understands it. ;-)  I've occasionally thought about a personalized plate, but beyond not wanting to give DMV any more money, if you're fleeing the scene, "MPW-2943" is harder for someone to remember than "MOOSE135".  One day, back on Long Island, I saw a woman with a "small" Mercedes with the plate "WUZ HIZ".  Not that I condone it, but now and then I understand what OJ did...

• Love 3

First part: Your burger fixin's bar mention brought back fond memories of childhood visits to Roy Rogers restaurants and their burger fixin's bars! I was in kid heaven because I loved having "things" on my burger. To get to choose and make it? Well, that's what childhood memories are made of. Now I really want a DoubleRBar burger!

That is so cute! So many kids, me included, did not want anything on the burger! I insisted I hated pickles until I woke the hell up and realized that I love them!

That said, why did the Roy Rogers pickles not have seeds? They were just so oddly smooth! 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, voiceover said:

Dang!!  I'm stoked to find this thread!  Just last night I was thinking of starting my own here.

1. People who don't put their shopping carts back where they belong.  Whether they leave it behind in the checkout line after a purchase is made (I'm always quick to yell out, " Hey, you forgot something!") or -- worse -- in the parking lot, taking up a whole space or close to one.   No excuses accepted.  If you were able to push the damn thing around the store, you're able to dig into your reservoir of strength to walk it 10 feet to the cart corral nearby.

Once I was at a Walgreens right after my knee had given out.  I waited until someone got out of his car, and asked, Can you please wheel this back to the store, I can't walk without it! ("Wonder Woman!!...")

2. Men who aren't fans of the team whose jersey/tee/hat they're wearing.  (Yeah, I don't like it in women either,  but am more inclined to give my own sex a pass for "I look good in this color")  Guys: unless  you're doing the Walk of Shame and were forced to don your ONS's Astros shersey: Take. It. Off.

Just out of interest, here in the UK most supermarkets have their trolleys chained up together in a corral so that you have to put a £1 coin a slot on the next available trolley that will then become unlocked and you can carry on shopping with it. And when you've finished loading your car (and assuming you want your £1 coin back) you have to take the trolley back to the corral, lock it with the others, and you'll get your money back. Hence the incentive to return your trolley.

Does that not happen in the States? Or only certain supermarkets over there?

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Only Zola said:

Just out of interest, here in the UK most supermarkets have their trolleys chained up together in a corral so that you have to put a £1 coin a slot on the next available trolley that will then become unlocked and you can carry on shopping with it. And when you've finished loading your car (and assuming you want your £1 coin back) you have to take the trolley back to the corral, lock it with the others, and you'll get your money back. Hence the incentive to return your trolley.

Does that not happen in the States? Or only certain supermarkets over there?

I wish that happened here! We're free to take a cart (or two or three) and then, when we're done shopping, we can leave them wherever we want. It's amazing how lazy people are, too. It really isn't that long a walk to put them in the exterior "corrals" provided and yet people won't do it - sometimes even though they're parked right next to it.

• Love 6