Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

So first, I know that cars aren't intelligent spiteful malevolent just messing with me for shits and giggles.   I mean I used to joke about how my old car was possessed and somehow knew to break down when a tax refund came and that its check engine light would be on except when I took it to be checked out (literally drive in a mechanic's parking lot and goes off, leave and it goes on).

But this car has been a dream, until now...

I have discovered that when something breaks, I don't need to know how to fix it but I need it to break in a logical and diagnosable way so I can explain it to myself and whoever I'll get to fix it.  The radio is on the fritz.  Its randomly changing stations. Randomness is bad and apparently its a peeve of mine.  Is the radio stuck in scan for the next station with a weak signal?  No.  Is it running through the presets? No.  Its jumping to static stations a couple stations from where I had it,  I briefly entertained the idea that a ghost or a hacker of some sort was positioned at the left turn out of my neighborhood trying to communicate.  I have since discarded this idea due to more random variables.

This is going to be like that time squirrels and kitchen doors were enough to drain my car battery and it took two years, a maxed out AAA membership and me taking out my rearview mirror with my garage door in frustration to figure out the problem.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

My current pet peeve?  Whistling.  Shut up with your mindless noisemaking.

What is it about people wanting to whistle?  Or, maybe, what is it about getting older that makes me so intolerant of this noise?  Whistling didn't used to bother me, but now, it's like a dagger to the brain.

• Love 3

I've probably talked about this before, but since we're on the subject...

I seem to hear things others don't, and it's all incredibly irritating. Working downtown, I'm subject to a cacophony of drilling, buzzing, grinding, churning, chattering and beeping. Always beeping--construction equipment, doors, phones, computers, "silent" alarms. And no one else can hear the beeping but me.

There's a guy in my office who whistles. It's almost as bad as the phantom beeping.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 3

When my next-door neighbor started losing her hearing, she started whistling.  Really loudly.  (Impressively so; Guinness should perhaps have been contacted.)  She wasn't fully aware of the fact she was doing it, and I liked her so much, but it drove me nuts.  Our lots in this old neighborhood are long and narrow, so - while topography and walls mean we have completely private backyards - our houses are pretty close together, separated by just a little strip of garden space and a single-car driveway.  When I had my windows open (which is most of the year), I could hear her whistling -- even if her windows were closed. 

I miss her, but I do not miss the whistling.  (My late kitty Baxter hated whistling, and would leave the room if someone on TV started up; he'd have gone nuts if he'd still been around when she took up the habit.)

Better than the guy who rented the house across the street for a brief time and fancied himself to be a drummer.  He wasn't.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I seem to hear things others don't, and it's all incredibly irritating. Working downtown, I'm subject to a cacophony of drilling, buzzing, grinding, churning, chattering and beeping. Always beeping--construction equipment, doors, phones, computers, "silent" alarms. And no one else can hear the beeping but me.

IMG_1297.PNG

• Love 3

Thanksgiving is next week.  Not the week after next.  I just realized that around 2 AM. crap crap crap

Not planning on any family drama and I don't have to do everything (my SIL does a ton), but just made me realize that I can't put off doing some holiday shopping any longer.

• Love 2

Some homes near mine already have their Christmas lights up and How the Grinch Stole Christmas is on television this weekend.  No wonder Thanksgiving hasn't stood out.  Better shop now before the Valentine's Day stuff takes over the shelves.

• Love 2

I went to Trader Joe's this morning and got my turkeys.  One to bring to the dinner and another to have for home.  It was full of mom's with their very young children.  I am not usually peeved at the general chaos around young children, but today I was.  Since they were not doing anything particularly unpleasant, just conducting themselves in age appropriate ways, I concluded that I was short the tolerance gene today and need to remove myself from polite society for the day.

@Qoass - when I was walking the Kook last night, I saw a house with Christmas lights up and on.  I thought they were really jumping the gun.  I think with the election related cacophony, I did not notice time passing.

15 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

This is going to be like that time squirrels and kitchen doors were enough to drain my car battery and it took two years, a maxed out AAA membership and me taking out my rearview mirror with my garage door in frustration to figure out the problem.

I'm going to need the story on this.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I have discovered that when something breaks, I don't need to know how to fix it but I need it to break in a logical and diagnosable way so I can explain it to myself and whoever I'll get to fix it.  The radio is on the fritz.  Its randomly changing stations. Randomness is bad and apparently its a peeve of mine.  Is the radio stuck in scan for the next station with a weak signal?  No.  Is it running through the presets? No.  Its jumping to static stations a couple stations from where I had it,  I briefly entertained the idea that a ghost or a hacker of some sort was positioned at the left turn out of my neighborhood trying to communicate.  I have since discarded this idea due to more random variables.

Your car is turning into 'Christine.'

Random poll: Is it better to be nice or honest? I usually err on the side of being nice but make up for it by being shamefully passive-aggressive.

• I was invited to a friend's birthday party, but it was one of those parties where the birthday girl tells us she wants to go "here" and "here" in the city and then out to dinner, but we'd have to pay for everything ourselves. Total would be about $80 without the card and gift. Turns out my kids have activities all day, so I RSVPd no and told her about the kids' activities. But I'd already decided not to spend 80 bucks-plus for a birthday party that she could easily have potluck style at her house if she didn't want to spend any money.
  • I have a family member that I really don't like, but I'm one of her caregivers--her primary caregiver, in fact. I help her because she's old and has health issues and is my mother (I know, I know. I'm going to Hell). We have some deep-seated issues from the past, but there's nothing to be done about them now. I could tell her that her that she can't expect me to like her or want me to spend my precious free moments with her when she had no time for me during my childhood, but that would just be making me feel better, right? All I would be doing is venting and hurting an old lady's feelings. 

--I know this isn't a therapy thread, but darn it, talking to people on this thread is just so therapeutic!!!

• Love 7

Your friend was incredibly rude to "host" a party honoring herself, and expect others to pay for it.   You were very kind not to tell her so. That is your birthday gift to her. End of.

• Love 8

In general, I don't think you owe an explanation for why you're not attending, just a timely response that you're not. 

Now, if it's someone you're quite close with and it's an important event, it's natural to explain why you can't go, because it's a case where you'd be there if you could.  But a random birthday outing?  No obligations beyond a timely reply, so to explain or not explain (and with the truth or a "white lie") is entirely down to your preference.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Mr. Outlier can hear the transformers on some circuit boards. 

When that guy was annoying me with his whistling, it was at a soup kitchen where I volunteer.  It made me realize that one big thing I like about that place is that they don't play music.  All the noise is natural.  Maybe people chopping, or setting up tables, or washing dishes, which can be loud, but it's noise that's supposed to be there.  That's probably why that one guy's whistling was so annoying, but I really did think, "If he keeps that up, I'm leaving." 

Which is another peeve:  loud radios in retail establishments.  Music is okay, but it's the commercials on radios that drive me insane--they're always so loud and booming and raucous.  Jersey Mike's is a main offender.  I'll take Five Guys' ear-splitting 70s music over that any day because it doesn't have those commercials.

50 minutes ago, topanga said:

Random poll: Is it better to be nice or honest? I usually err on the side of being nice but make up for it by being shamefully passive-aggressive.

As with anything, I'm going with "it depends".  I also usually default to whatever causes the least emotional conflict, but I have a built a fine reputation of a person who will say "no" to requests or invitations simply because I don't want to do whatever it is.  

So for your birthday party one, if I were you but didn't have a genuine excuse, I would still go ahead and decline with no explanation.  If pressed, I would probably say that I simply don't want to go; it's a lot of money and I hope they have fun, but it will be without me.

For your mom one, would it even make you feel better? If one of the things stopping you is knowing that you'd be hurting an old lady's feelings, then I'd guess that at least some of the positive from speaking your mind would get offset by feeling bad about doing it.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, topanga said:

I was invited to a friend's birthday party, but it was one of those parties where the birthday girl tells us she wants to go "here" and "here" in the city and then out to dinner, but we'd have to pay for everything ourselves.

It was "one of those"? Are there a lot? I've never heard of such a thing!

My sister told me we'll be celebrating Thanksgiving on Sunday this year because she thinks it's "too crowded" and "everyone will be shopping" later in the week. I don't care. She always does everything and I just walk across the street. She then mentioned that she'd invited three people I don't know. I must have made a face because we then had this conversation:

Sister: You don't have to come!
Me: Okay, I won't. (Not pissy or mad, just stating it.)
Sister: WHAT!? How can you not come?
Me: You just said I didn't have to!!

Honestly, she should know me better by now. Not about to spend a couple of hours making small talk and paying UNO with strangers. Also, my sister keeps her house too damned hot.

• Love 4

I would decline the birthday invite with no explanation. That, or tell them that my presence is your present if I'm spending my own money for dinner.  

@bilgistic - I also hear things other people do not.  I have the hearing (and vision, hah) of a damned bat, I think.  In my classroom, I hear a hissing, and then something that sounds like water running.  I can hear things  kids say from all the way across the room when they think they're being quiet.  This would not be so bad were my parents not deaf and halfway deaf.  Everything is so damn loud and it makes me nuts.   

• Love 1

@topanga -

• Birthday situation - you are beating yourself up over nothing.  You've RSVPd that you would not be attending, not cancelled at the last minute.  And sometimes it just isn't the right time to take on a frivolous expense (especially with the holidays coming up).  An outing of the nature she planned would be an indulgence in terms of time (for anyone not living the single life) and money (last time I went to a birthday event like that, I spent at least $350 - limo, dinner, multiple clubs, etc...but I was a willing participant).   If you are so inclined, invite her to lunch when she can tell you all about what you missed and spend one-on-one time together.
  • Mom - that sounds like an ugly situation and I am sorry you are dealing with it.  Mom made her choices when she was younger and now, as a mother yourself, you're making choices about how much time you want to spend with your children.  You've got your own family, your own interests, and you owe it to yourself to allocate your time in the way that lets you be the best Topanga for your priorities.  Sometimes that means taking some down time for yourself or just not feeling obligated every moment you are awake.  Unless you think the "discussion" would actually bear positive results, I probably wouldn't go there.  You might end up feeling worse than you already do.
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

The radio is on the fritz.  Its randomly changing stations. Randomness is bad and apparently its a peeve of mine.  Is the radio stuck in scan for the next station with a weak signal?  No.  Is it running through the presets? No.  Its jumping to static stations a couple stations from where I had it,  I briefly entertained the idea that a ghost or a hacker of some sort was positioned at the left turn out of my neighborhood trying to communicate.  I have since discarded this idea due to more random variables.

When my step-grandmother died (my stepdad's late mother), my parents "inherited" her old Kia sedan. It's "haunted"--the radio turns on and off at will, and the digital display is garbled. Mom always acknowledges her late mother-in-law with a hello when something happens with the radio.

My folks drove down a couple years ago to fly out of my local airport for an international trip, and upon their return, I picked them up in the Kia so they could put in their luggage. The radio was off when I dropped them at the airport pre-trip. When I got in the car to go pick them up post-trip, the radio it was on. I imagine "there's a short" is the logical explanation, but we like "Grandma's car is haunted" better.

• Love 3

@Topanga,

Your story reminds me of a (kind of, but more passive-aggressive) similar birthday situation. A few years ago, I was invited to the birthday of this woman I had met through mutual friends and with whom I had really clicked right away. We had met maybe two times only. Birthday dinner was at a rather fancy Moroccan restaurant (with an area for pre dinner drinks, a lounge to linger on after the meal, good music, etc.) so despite not having known her for long, I got her a very, very nice present. Over dinner, she casually let it know that oops, she had lost her wallet in the cab getting there. She didn't seem particularly put on or anything, but I was when another guest suggested we fork in for the price of dinner. I did, though I was not feeling a gracious as I tried to look :) Afterwards, I didn't really feel like contacting her and guess what, she never contacted me either. 

To be clear, it was not the price that was a problem, it was the whole shenanigan around this whole thing that screamed very fake to me.  

• Love 3
16 hours ago, DeLurker said:

@topanga -

• Birthday situation - you are beating yourself up over nothing.  You've RSVPd that you would not be attending, not cancelled at the last minute.  And sometimes it just isn't the right time to take on a frivolous expense (especially with the holidays coming up).  An outing of the nature she planned would be an indulgence in terms of time (for anyone not living the single life) and money (last time I went to a birthday event like that, I spent at least $350 - limo, dinner, multiple clubs, etc...but I was a willing participant).   If you are so inclined, invite her to lunch when she can tell you all about what you missed and spend one-on-one time together.
  • Mom - that sounds like an ugly situation and I am sorry you are dealing with it.  Mom made her choices when she was younger and now, as a mother yourself, you're making choices about how much time you want to spend with your children.  You've got your own family, your own interests, and you owe it to yourself to allocate your time in the way that lets you be the best Topanga for your priorities.  Sometimes that means taking some down time for yourself or just not feeling obligated every moment you are awake.  Unless you think the "discussion" would actually bear positive results, I probably wouldn't go there.  You might end up feeling worse than you already do.

*tears* Thanks. You guys are the best. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, bilgistic said:

When my step-grandmother died (my stepdad's late mother), my parents "inherited" her old Kia sedan. It's "haunted"--the radio turns on and off at will, and the digital display is garbled. Mom always acknowledges her late mother-in-law with a hello when something happens with the radio.

My folks drove down a couple years ago to fly out of my local airport for an international trip, and upon their return, I picked them up in the Kia so they could put in their luggage. The radio was off when I dropped them at the airport pre-trip. When I got in the car to go pick them up post-trip, the radio it was on. I imagine "there's a short" is the logical explanation, but we like "Grandma's car is haunted" better.

I agree. Hauntings are more fun than the expensive electrical/computer situation that's probably involved. 

• Love 2

Whenever something goes missing, there is an odd noise or other unusual small thing my parents would always say "say hi to Gram" meaning my paternal Grandmother who was quite the trickster and quite deceased at that point.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DeLurker said:

Whenever something goes missing, there is an odd noise or other unusual small thing my parents would always say "say hi to Gram" meaning my paternal Grandmother who was quite the trickster and quite deceased at that point.

My husband's family used to say the same thing to him. Whenever there was a bump in the night, they'd say, "Oh, that's just your grandmother." And he'd think, "Then why is she scaring the heck out of me?"

• Love 4
On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 0:09 PM, auntlada said:

This is going to be like that time squirrels and kitchen doors were enough to drain my car battery and it took two years, a maxed out AAA membership and me taking out my rearview mirror with my garage door in frustration to figure out the problem

I'm going to need the story on this.

I used to have this car that constantly had a dead battery. For no reason.  It would die, AAA would come and jump it, and off it would go  to the mechanic who would declare that nothing was wrong with it.   Rinse and repeat. This happened so many times that I discovered, to my surprise because I don't read the fine print, that there is a maximum number of times per year that AAA will come out and then you are on your own.  That number is four. 

I got to the point where I would obsessively check that everything in the car was off when I left it, blaming headlights or overhead lights or something because of the numerous times they checked out everything else.  Never helped, inevitably there would be a dead car waiting for me.  Not often enough to crush the car, but enough.

Then there was that one final time it happened. And I was so ticked, that I smacked my side mirror pulling out of my garage.  Because my car wasn't happy if it wasn't causing me problems, it only revealed its secret torment when there was other bad news to deliver.

I had somehow bent the brake.  The one next to the gas.  Which I didn't know was even possible and it apparently took two years to find a mechanic that did know.

So the battery was draining because the break light was coming on after I left the car (because I always checked).  1 can only guess that slamming my kitchen door as I came home was enough to jostle it.  I blame squirrels (or people) for the other times.

I retaliated against the car by responding to the news that the mirror cost $800 to fix by 'repairing' it with gorilla glue and electrical tape.

• Love 1

That's a bizarre story.

i once had a car with random electrical issues. It took the mechanic a couple of days to discover that a rat or squirrel had gotten under the car and chewed up a bunch of wires so stuff started going out one thing at a time over several months.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, Qoass said:

I had a car that with starter problems as well and after a mechanic looked at me and said, "Hey, didn't I jump you last week?", I knew it was time to start looking for a new one.

New car or new mechanic?

• Love 6

My peeve today is "concern-trolling". We had our Thanksgiving potluck at work yesterday. This morning for breakfast at work, I had a piece of leftover pumpkin pie and two pumpkin spice cookies. My boss and coworker felt the need to comment on what I was eating.

Boss: "Nice breakfast you're having. You're going to feel bad all day."

Me: "Well, I already feel bad [from being sick for a week], so what's the difference?"

Coworker: "You need something healthy so your body can recover."

Me: "Pumpkin pie is healthy; it's made of a vegetable."

Boss: "And the cookies?"

Me: "They're pumpkin spice."

First of all, FUCK OFF. I'm a 42-year-old adult and can eat whatever the hell I want whenever I want. Second, if you're so concerned about my "recovery", LET ME STAY THE HELL HOME INSTEAD OF COMING TO WORK. Third, pumpkin pie is delicious and get out of my fucking face before I cough on you.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

My peeve today is "concern-trolling". We had our Thanksgiving potluck at work yesterday. This morning for breakfast at work, I had a piece of leftover pumpkin pie and two pumpkin spice cookies. My boss and coworker felt the need to comment on what I was eating.

Me: "Well, I already feel bad [from being sick for a week], so what's the difference?"

First of all, FUCK OFF. I'm a 42-year-old adult and can eat whatever the hell I want whenever I want. Second, if you're so concerned about my "recovery", LET ME STAY THE HELL HOME INSTEAD OF COMING TO WORK. Third, pumpkin pie is delicious and get out of my fucking face before I cough on you.

Unless someone is offering to make you a delicious meal, there is no reason to be talking about what you're eating. Shut it, indeed.

• Love 8

Pumpkin pie is high in fiber and vitamin A.  If you eliminate the sugar, and don't bake it in a pie shell, it's a vegetable side dish.  It seems fine for breakfast.

I'm not sure I could justify chocolate cake, or chocolate cream pie, but if you gave me a few minutes, I might.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, backformore said:

Pumpkin pie is high in fiber and vitamin A.  If you eliminate the sugar, and don't bake it in a pie shell, it's a vegetable side dish.  It seems fine for breakfast.

I'm not sure I could justify chocolate cake, or chocolate cream pie, but if you gave me a few minutes, I might.

Chocolate cake needs no justification.

• Love 9

Bah on "rules" for what time of day it's okay to eat specific foods. I ordered a chicken salad sandwich at 7am at Bob Evans last week and the waitress couldn't hide her surprise. Pfft. If breakfast for dinner is a thing, toasted bread and chicken for breakfast can also be a thing. Donuts, muffins and pastries are acceptable for breakfast but pie isn't? Screw that.

I have never been much of a drinker; I'll maybe have a mimosa a couple times a year. I'm currently on my third box of wine since the election and my sister gave me a raised eyebrow when she came over and I was having a glass at 8am. Listen, I'm retired. I'm not going anywhere and certainly not driving. Two glasses of wine a day isn't going to impair me. SO SHUT UP. I've never understood drinking only after 5pm. Except sometimes at lunch. Or Sunday brunch. Or watching sports in the afternoon.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 10
37 minutes ago, lordonia said:

Bah on "rules" for what time of day it's okay to eat specific foods. I ordered a chicken salad sandwich at 7am at Bob Evans last week and the waitress couldn't hide her surprise. Pfft. If breakfast for dinner is a thing, toasted bread and chicken for breakfast can also be a thing. Donuts, muffins and pastries are acceptable for breakfast but pie isn't? Screw that.

I have never been much of a drinker; I'll maybe have a mimosa a couple times a year. I'm currently on my third box of wine since the election and my sister gave me a raised eyebrow when she came over and I was having a glass of wine at 8am. Listen, I'm retired. I'm not going anywhere and certainly not driving. Two glasses of wine a day isn't going to impair me. SO SHUT UP. I've never understood drinking only after 5pm. Except sometimes at lunch. Or Sunday brunch. Or watching sports in the afternoon.

I never understood that one - what is exactly so different about breakfast pastries vs pies (or cookies or cakes...).

There were days during college and after that I sometimes wanted a beer first thing in the morning.  Did not happen often, but it happened.  And if it happened on a weekend or some other day that I did not have to be anywhere?  It happened.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Technically it's a fruit, but...still healthy.   You're an adult, one of the benefits is being able to eat pie (or anything you damn well want) for breakfast so people can who don't like it can fuck right off.  A muffin is an acceptable breakfast, and that's basically cake.  

Edited by janestclair
  • Love 1

Oh, I had one host do that. Long-short is that they were 'family friends' (read: my parents' colleagues) whom invited me over to  visit them so they could take me to a nearby resort. OK, sounded good on paper.  Well, the hostess dissed me opting to eat ravioli. ('Are you going to eat that?'- why else would I have ordered and PAID for it?) when I replied in the affirmative she repeated her question and I just tried to make light of it by saying I was on vacation which spurred her to try to guilt trip me by telling me her diabetes history. Of course she'd already dumped on me for making a phone call to my next destination saying it cost too much for that time (this was in the 90's when rates varied greatly re location and time/day of week) and my pointing out that I was paying for it myself with my own phone card so it wouldn't cost HER a dime didn't soften her tude in the least. Lastly, to cap off the whole thing she asked me if I was going to wear shorts and a shirt on the outgoing flight from that rather hot and humid locale and I replied in the affirmative to which she went on a rant about how she hated her own offspring doing that. Never mind that she was hardly a fashion plate herself AND had already announced that she wasn't going to accompany her husband and me to the airport so what did she care what I was going to wear? Ironically, as soon as I came back home, my parents told me all kinds of stunts she's pulled on them down the years which made me wonder why they were so insistent on my going there.

Oops, I went on a bit of a tangent but I guess I'm just  airing a pet peeve against  folks who butt into things that have absolutely no impact on their own lives.

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, Blergh said:

I guess I'm just  airing a pet peeve against  folks who butt into things that have absolutely no impact on their own lives.

These types also tend to mistakenly assume you want to hear every last detail of their itinerary/decision/whatever and the reasons that lead them to that conclusion.

• Love 1

Phone cards! I'd forgotten about that "convenience." For some unremembered reason, I had local phone service but not long distance for a time and needed to punch in around 20 numbers to make a call, not to mention maybe running out of minutes.

• Love 2

Humanity irritated me again today. Act surprised.

I get one of my cat's prescriptions filled at Costco because it's $16 and change there versus $140 at the traditional pharmacy. Costco isn't convenient, though. It's about a 15-minute drive from my home--which translates to another 15 minutes further out from home if I'm driving to it after work.

The pharmacy in Costco closes at 7pm while the store is open later. The pharmacy is open only until 5pm on Saturday and not at all on Sunday. I work until at earliest 6pm, so it's damn near impossible to get there on weeknights.

It just sometimes takes me a while to get out there. I'll call in Bilgisticat's med about a week before it's out, knowing I've got to get out there. Last weekend, I was sick in bed, so I didn't make it out. I felt like ass all week, so I didn't get out there one evening. I had to go tonight because I gave him the last dose this morning.

I called Costco at 6:25 on the way there.

Me: "Hi, this is Bilgisticat's mom. I've probably taken too long to come pick up his prescription. If it has been pulled, can you fill it now? I'm on my way and will be there in about 10 minutes."

Costco pharmacy tech: "Yeah, it was pulled."

Me: "Can you fill it? I'm sorry; it's hard for me to get out to y'all. I'm on my way."

Tech: "We close at 7."

Me: "I know; I will be there soon. Thank you!" [Hangs up; exclaims to no one: "IT'S FUCKING 6:30!!"]

I have been a customer with two Costco pharmacies (one for several years) and they've both been like that. I guess they're allowed to treat customers like that, but it's shitty. If I roll up in there at 6:59 with a prescription, you're going to fill it, pal, because that's your job. (I wouldn't actually walk into a pharmacy with a prescription one minute before closing.)

The only reason I go to Costco is to fill my cat's prescription; I do not have a Costco membership and one is not required to fill prescriptions. I used to get my own prescriptions filled there when I had no insurance. I hate going to Costco. It ranks right under Walmart for me. There are hordes of people at Costco at any given time. It's hard to find parking at Costco because it's so jammed all the time. There was a giant (larger than an adult human) teddy bear in someone's cart tonight, and I was gobsmacked at the ridiculousness of its existence. I literally and metaphorically can't get out of there fast enough. Just give me my cat's pills and let me through the heaving masses.

As I was checking out well before 7pm, the pharmacy tech (not the asshole on the phone) was trying to sell me a membership. I get the poor guy's being forced to do it, but it's falling flat for a single person who lives in an 800-square-foot apartment. I'm just there for cat medicine, not diamonds and tires and toilet paper and ribs and a Christmas tree and a $1.50 hot dog meal.

Seeing it's not working, he brings out the big guns, telling me I'm in there once a month picking up Bilgisticat's meds...and with the membership, I can save $5 a month on the meds. The membership "will pay for itself after a year" because it's only $60...

You're telling me I can spend the exact same amount of money I do now, and I will have a membership to a store I hate?!

I'll pass.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, auntlada said:

Chocolate cake needs no justification.

Ok, this is not a peeve, but a response to the peeve of people telling you what to eat when. 

When my kids were little, there was an incident the day after my birthday.  I got up in the morning, kids were still sleeping.  There was left over birthday cake in the fridge.  SO I made myself coffee, and I was sitting at the kitchen table having "breakfast" - chocolate cake and coffee.  Just a little peace and quiet until I had to get the kids up.    My son came into the kitchen, and said "You're having CAKE? "   BUSTED!   I wasn't going to let him have cake for breakfast on a school day, he needed protein in the morning.  SO I told him about this family "tradition" (made it up on the spot)  that on the day after your birthday, you have a piece of cake for breakfast, for good luck.    But only the person whose birthday it was , and only that one day out of the year.   He totally believed me, told his brother about it.    And a tradition was born. 

Years later, I confessed that I had made it up, and he said "you LIED to me?"  I said no, it wasn't a lie, I told you it was  an annual tradition, and traditions have to start somewhere.   I just didn't tell you it was year 1 of the tradition.

• Love 12

I know I'm in the minority but I roll my mental eyes pretty hard when I'm waiting at the vet's and the assistant comes out and calls the name of my cat. Yes, she's the patient but it's not like she's going to trot into the exam room by herself. Call me, please.

While I'm being unreasonable, I also dislike being referred to as the "mom." I did not give birth to my cat. She's not my child or baby or furbaby. While my actions towards her may be seen as guardianship, for purposes of city ordinances, I'm her owner and would prefer to leave it at that.

• Love 5

Lordonia,

Due to allergies making it a disaster, it's been quite a few years since I last owned a pet but I agree that it's ridiculous to call the pet's name in a vet's office when the owner is the one who has to carry the pet to the examining room. Besides what you've said, I'll bet on busy days there could be more than one 'Rover' out in the waiting room. I heard of at least one vet who got upset having bills paid by (e.g)'Fluffy's Mommy' but I wonder if they may have contributed re having referred to the individuals as that.

Also, agree that ,while pets definitely can be family members, calling pet owners 'pet parents' is a bit ludicrous.

• Love 1

Y'all make me laugh! I never thought about it, but they do call the pet's name at the vet.

I call myself Bilgisticat's "mom" because I have been through the ringer with this cat. He's got chronic health issues and I have fought long and HARD to get him stabilized. He's my world, sad as that is. I don't have and will never have human children, so my cats are my kids.

• Love 5

I kept checking CVS under my name for the medicine the vet called in for my cat. Nothing. Over and over. Finally, the pharmacist informed me that prescriptions called into the human pharmacy for my cat had to be under the cat's name.  And, indeed, it was. 

Edited by ABay
clarity?
  • Love 3

Now you have me thinking about how I call patients for their appointments. I just started working at a vet hospital and never really thought much about how I get the patients.  We have a description of the animals so usually it is pretty easy to identify them in the waiting room and if I am not sure I have reception point them out to me before I approach anyone.  I usually approach the owner and ask 'Is this _______?' and then I introduce myself.  I must confess to using 'Mom' and 'Dad' to describe the owners particularly when I am reuniting a dog that is desperate to get back their owner after being separated from them - I usually say 'Hey - don't worry  There is your Mom/Dad!'. 

• Love 3

I have Bilgisticat's other meds (I told y'all it's a lot of work with this boy!) sent to work, and they are addressed to "Feline [Cat's Name] [My Last Name]". Fortunately, I'm close with our receptionist, so she knows it's my package. That's wacky to me--clearly mail needs to be addressed to the pet owner/parent!

• Love 1

Since they'd likely be calling out my last name if they used my name instead of Riley's at the vet, I'm glad they use the pets' names in the waiting room.  But they don't just call out her name, like she's going to hop out of her carrier and follow the tech, they say something like, "I have a room ready for Riley." 

And since I am her mom (and her owner, and her guardian - and her servant), I am fine with someone using any of those to refer to me in relation to her.  I usually refer to myself as her mom or her owner, depending on the circumstance, but I don't care which one anyone else picks.

Going back to restaurant website peeves for a moment, mine is restaurants that do not update their online menu when they change their menu.  Last night my friend got all excited for baked ziti, but when we called in our order, we found out that's no longer on the menu -- which changed several months ago, but the website still has the old one.

• Love 2