Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

Both my pets are microchipped and it never occurred to me to get the cat a tag since he is only indoor.  I finally got both of them their tags today because each time I go to the pet store, I forget and I've been forgetting for the last 4 weeks.

I tried to put the dogs on, but because he's got an good sized collar, it does not have any small dainty parts that the tag ring can slip over.  I've got to go back tomorrow to find something that will work.

The tag ring for the the cat's tag was a breeze.

Some vets - mine included - offers the option of cat-only hours one or two days a week.  I think it's a pretty popular service, though I don't use it (our cat's only issue with dogs is that he won't leave the dog alone).

• Love 2

Mine normally has a cat-only waiting room for those who need/want it, but they're putting new stuff in there and it was kind of a construction zone today. 

I just cannot fathom bringing a dog into the vet's office without a leash (even if it wasn't against policy); even if his dog was seemingly unflappable - and he was quite mellow - there are other animals and people around, an exterior door opening and closing onto a busy street all day long -- too many unpredictable factors for the safety of his own dog, if nothing else.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

Oh yeah, even if your dog is perfect, for safety, in consideration of others, and just to cover your ass - put your dog on a leash in public situations like that. Which leads me to a related peeve:  dog owners who use retractable leashes but never use the retractable feature, even when it's clearly necessary.  At the farmers' market it gets crowded and people are carrying stuff and looking around - and someone's always got a dog semi-roaming on a retractable leash, the cord wrapping itself around and through strangers' legs. A while back the local news ran surveillance camera footage of someone walking their small dog on a retractable leash.  Person on sidewalk, strolling along, maybe looking at their phone.  Dog about 10 feet away, behind the person and in the road - and it got run over by a car.  I'm very sad for the pup, but also heartless because I think the villain in the scenario is the person who couldn't be bothered to pay attention to their dog while walking him/her. 

• Love 1

That's one of my biggest pet peeves -unleashed dogs in public or hell even yards -and it's so so so dangerous. 

Your met peeve is what keeps me employed :) Seriously, I love my job but is a shame that counties have to hire Animal Care Enforcement officers because people are incapable of treating their pets humanely and/or use common sense when it comes to its safety/the safety of others.

My pet peeve: I wish more vet offices offered in-home services. Only one animal hospital does it in t my whole county that I know of, and its in the one of the ritzy parts of the county.  Anyone who's owned a cat knows how traumatizing a car ride  can be; it would be so much easier to have all minor services done in the comfort of their own homes.  For mine, chasing them down and stuffing them in carriers can be an hour-long ordeal. Its too much.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 6

A hundred years ago, I was in the Air Force down in Mississippi, and we took the poodle to the base vet's office for a routine check.  The waiting area was about the size of a phone booth - a couple of chairs on either side with a walkway from the door to the front desk.  We were sitting there when the door opened, and the head of  a Great Dane poked in - just the head, and it was bigger than our poodle.  The lady just said "Hi, we're here! We'll be outside until you're ready for us!"

• Love 3

There's a great mobile vet in my area. I always have my fingers crossed that her practice is doing well because I'd hate to lose her. My cat is fearful of the carrier, the car ride, the waiting room and strangers. She's one of those who won't even tolerate being held.

Pricing peeve: A book I'm buying is the same $9.99 price for hardcover, paperback and Kindle. You don't have to print anything for Kindle! There are technology costs to delivery electronically but I refuse to believe they're as much as paper, binding, ink, and printing press staff.

Traditional publishers are struggling due to the steep decline of books and magazines, and I assume authors make less for the cheaper electronic downloads, but I still think a Kindle edition of any book should be around half the price of the hardcover. Dammit.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 5

For whatever reason, my cat does fine in the car.  In fact, we drove to Florida from Houston (and back) this summer and he was pretty chill with the whole thing.  I kept his harness on, but leashed him whenever we were stopping.  Other than that he was free to roam about.  I take him in the car with me about once every week or so when I am going to go pick up a kid or something.  I now also take him out on my trike - put him in his soft sided carrier, put the carrier in the basket (behind the seat), put dog on harness and leash, and out for a morning ride now that it is a bit cooler.

• Love 1

I second the hate for retractable leashes. I bought one for my first Border Collie and used it once.  You just don't have control with those things. 

My peeve for today is shopping. I HATE shopping, especially clothes shopping. I do most of my shopping online but don't like to buy clothes unless I can see and feel them.   It's damn near impossible to find small sized women's clothing. Every time I asked where I could find small sizes I was directed to the juniors department. I'm 51 years old, I don't shop in the Jr section anymore.  I had to dig through racks and piles of size 1 2 and 3X sizes in the hopes of finding a small.  When I would get lucky enough to find a small or extra small it wouldn't be the color or style I wanted.   After going to four different stores all I  ended up with was two pairs of yoga pants and some underwear.   It's so damn frustrating.  

• Love 3
18 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

... My pet peeve: I wish more vet offices offered in-home services. Only one animal hospital does it in the my whole county that I know of, and its in the one of the ritzy parts of the county.  Anyone who's owned a cat knows how traumatizing a car ride  can be; it would be so much easier to have all minor services done in the comfort of their own homes.  For mine, chasing them down and stuffing them in carriers can be an hour-long ordeal. Its too much.

I read this interesting book by a vet who made house calls in Manhattan years ago.  It's a good idea that hasn't caught on as much as it should.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

For mine, chasing them down and stuffing them in carriers can be an hour-long ordeal.

The girl I dealt with when adopting my cat said a lot the cats hated getting into carriers & car rides.  She said mine used to be ok with it, but when he started to have to go to the adoption events he hated them and associated the carrier & car ride with it.  She suggested leaving the carrier out once I got one (he came home in a cardboard carrier) with the door open and let him explore it at his own pace.  Start to leave him treats inside and live him alone.  Just do it for a bit before you actually have to take him somewhere so he does not associate the carrier with just bad stuff.

• Love 1
On 11/1/2016 at 2:45 PM, DeLurker said:

I don't either, but it is on principle.  I'm paying the same price whether I go self-serve or not which allows the company to make more money and hire fewer people.  It isn't a great job, but it is providing employment opportunities to people.  The self serves aren't set up to take coupons so you need to wait for someone to assist if you have them.  Their set up is dismal and not conducive to multiple people to use at the same time.  Plus, the computer voice always tells me to take something out of the bagging area even though the item has been scanned.

I use self-check if I have a moderately small amount to buy and if I've had a long day at work and don't feel like interacting with the cashier. There's always an employee at our self-checkout, so sometimes I still have to chat if they're particularly friendly; but usually it's better at self-service. I live in the friendly South and sometimes I just don't want to chat about my cleaning products and Midol.

Plus, it's so hard to watch the cashiers struggle with my reusable bags or remember to not bag my items when I say I can just carry them. They just go through the motions and forget. Once I asked for no bag for my one item and ended up with three.

• Love 4

My pet peeve: I wish more vet offices offered in-home services. Only one animal hospital does it in t my whole county that I know of, and its in the one of the ritzy parts of the county.  Anyone who's owned a cat knows how traumatizing a car ride  can be; it would be so much easier to have all minor services done in the comfort of their own homes.  For mine, chasing them down and stuffing them in carriers can be an hour-long ordeal. Its too much.

I have to confess that taking Riley to the vet rather than bringing a vet to her is pure laziness on my part.  Maddie and Baxter didn't freak out in the car or at the vet's office (especially Maddie), so I never researched mobile vets in the area.  For the practice I use, I know the qualifications and temperament of the vets and vet techs, the quality and cleanliness of the facility, the degree of technology available, etc; I'm completely comfortable with what they provide, and I haven't taken the time to research and interview mobile vets now that I have Riley.  Thus far, she has only been to the vet twice (with me, anyway), so I'm hoping she settles down as she survives more vet trips and understands that nothing horrible happens to her there and she gets to come home.  But if she winds up being a cat who is always stressed out by a trip to the vet, I will need to get off my ass and find her a good mobile vet.

Plus, it's so hard to watch the cashiers struggle with my reusable bags

Here, you have to bring your own bags (or pay for paper bags from the store/do without), so now everyone is used to it, but as someone who has been using cloth bags for a good 20 years now, I used to endure some befuddled cashiers/baggers.  And I still occasionally run into one who's confused by my reusable mesh produce bags.

• Love 1

Oy. You know how microwave popcorn leaks some of the "butter" onto the carousel? I usually put a paper towel underneath but sometimes that's not thick enough. In lieu of having to, sigh, wash the carousel, I had the brilliant idea to use a dishcloth instead.

Set for 2 minutes. Bing!

Okaaaay, that's really scorched. I threw the blackened dishtowel in the kitchen trashcan. Maybe 20 minutes later, the house still smelled strongly of burnt terrycloth and I went back to kitchen and opened the lid of the trash can. Smoke poured out to the extent that I couldn't even see inside. I got a pair of tongs, dug around, and threw the now flaming dishcloth into the kitchen sink. Turned on the water. More smoke from that. I put the trashcan on the porch to air it out and opened some windows.

The annoying part (besides my dumbnicity) -- neither the kitchen nor the adjacent breakfast nook smoke detector ever went off.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2

Holy cow!  I'm so glad you noticed it bee it did some damage. It's crazy how easily something like that can happen. 

I hate microwave popcorn with a passion. I hate how it smells, how it tastes and it always leaves my mouth feeling like it's been coated with something.  I do it the old fashioned way, on the stove and I use flavacol in a little coconut oil.   Everybody I know thinks I'm crazy for taking the time to do all of that when I can pop a bag in the microwave but that's just my preference. 

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 4

@lordonia - Dang!  Best to change those smoke detector batteries like they want us to do whenever the time changes.

@Maharincess - I don't hate microwave popcorn, but a lot less of a fan than I used to be.  I still get a box of the Boy Scout popcorn every year even though it is over priced, but I love it.  Most of the time I make it in my air popper or on the stove top.  I've heard about the wonders of making it with coconut oil, but I was not impressed.  I bought a packet of the Chex Mix Seasoning that comes out during the holidays cause my daughter loves the stuff.  Her and her cousin decided to try it sprinkled on popcorn and loved it, so now each winter I try to stock up for her.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, lordonia said:

Okaaaay, that's really scorched. I threw the blackened dishtowel in the kitchen trashcan. Maybe 20 minutes later, the house still smelled strongly of burnt terrycloth and I went back to kitchen and opened the lid of the trash can. Smoke poured out to the extent that I couldn't even see inside. I got a pair of tongs, dug around, and threw the now flaming dishcloth into the kitchen sink. Turned on the water. More smoke from that. I put the trashcan on the porch to air it out and opened some windows.

I vaguely recall reading a long time ago that with microwaving anything, the "cooking" continues for a minute or two after the designated time is up. I'm guessing that's why  your dishtowel morphed from scorched to flaming.

However, speaking of kitchens, my sort-of pet peeve is that in 2016, there is not yet an affordable robot who could clean the damn kitchen. When I was a kid watching The Jetsons, etc., I was so looking forward to an adult life where robots performed all the menial/grungy aspects of housework. Although, if the scientists and engineers can produce one with AI, having to clean up kitchens might just be the trigger for robots going all Terminator on humans.

• Love 10
42 minutes ago, BookWoman56 said:

there is not yet an affordable robot who could clean the damn kitchen.

I bought a roomba to help with the pet hair. It actually works really well on my wood floors. But I don't run it as often as I should, because I first have to pick up the dog beds and toys, move the ottoman out of the way, and basically I have to clean up for the robot before it can be a robot.

• Love 4

I make popcorn on the stove, too, and twice in my life I've had someone react as if I performed magic; they truly thought the only way to make popcorn (other than microwave popcorn) was with a specific machine. 

• Love 3

I never saw anyone cleaning out Rosie the way I had to with the Roomba, either. Needed to dissemble and pull all the tangled hair and carpet fibers out of the brush roller. Yeah. That thing got given away.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I make popcorn on the stove, too, and twice in my life I've had someone react as if I performed magic; they truly thought the only way to make popcorn (other than microwave popcorn) was with a specific machine. 

At my old house I had a neighbor come over and ask if she could borrow some popcorn. I handed her my jar of popcorn and she looked at it like she'd never seen such a thing before.  This woman was older than me but didn't take my popcorn because she didn't "know how to make that stuff".  

• Love 3

I need ONE new pair of running shoes, not two. I need ONE new winter coat, not two.  

But someone else in your household might need them.   Or, since your running shoes will eventually need to be replaced, put the second pair away until you need them.  

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Maharincess said:

At my old house I had a neighbor come over and ask if she could borrow some popcorn. I handed her my jar of popcorn and she looked at it like she'd never seen such a thing before.  This woman was older than me but didn't take my popcorn because she didn't "know how to make that stuff".  

I have never been able to understand that, because, seriously popcorn is one of the easiest things to make.  You can use any kind of oil (like you, I like coconut oil) you don't have to measure exactly, and the hardest part is cleaning the pan (not that hard).  the end result is so much better than the microwave kind.  I agree, most microwave popcorn leaves a film in my mouth, that doesn't seem like oil, more like wax. 

When we were kids, we had an electric popcorn thing -  plug it in, put in oil and the kernels, and there was a dome that filled up.  That's not much different from just using a pan on the stove.  My husband wanted to buy one of those, but I have a problem with things taking up cabinet space when they can only be used to do one thing.

• Love 2

Jiffy Pop is still being made! I should try it again and see if it holds up to my childhood adoration.

Uh -- really twisting to find a peeve here -- it's not available at my local grocery. The Con Agra site tells me I'd need to drive more than 5 miles. ;)

jiffy.JPG

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, lordonia said:

Jiffy Pop is still being made! I should try it again and see if it holds up to my childhood adoration.

Uh -- really twisting to find a peeve here -- it's not available at my local grocery. The Con Agra site tells me I'd need to drive more than 5 miles. ;)

jiffy.JPG

If it's not too much more than five miles, that is a peeve. It's close enough to be doable, but far enough away to be an annoyance.

• Love 2

Correct me if I'm wrong, but broadcast TV is still free, right?

Then why do the networks require people to sign in online with "your TV provider login" in order to watch shows? CBS goes so far as to ask you to pay for their programming (All Access!) if you missed it on air. It's not about revenue from commercials, either, because the ads are unskippable when streaming.

I blame the cable networks somewhat less because their programming isn't free, but it still bugs.

• Love 4

Yes, CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox, the CW and PBS (and a few other local channels) are all still free. I had an antenna to watch over-the-air programming for quite a while.

I switched back to a "light" cable package plus HBO and Showtime in the past year because it was only $10 more than I was paying for just internet.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 1

A lot of people would say broadcast TV isn't free - you pay by watching the commercials.  As long as you can't avoid the commercials online, I don't see why you should have to sign in. I think auntlada is right - blame the cable providers. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, auntlada said:

I'm going to blame the cable companies, but I don't know why because I don't know why I have to do it. I just figure somewhere in there the cable company is getting money.

They're all in cahoots, I tells ya!

• Love 1

Movie theater rants from an Australian perspective; a lot of what this person says would be in line with what I would feel if I went to a theater, which I haven't in ages; there's a good bit of salty language, but, again, this person has some good points

Cashless parking meters:  Over a two day period, a significant part of my community suddenly had their parking meters covered up with a metal plug over EVERY SINGLE change slot . Thus,  those of us who did not wish to risk ID theft via using credit cards in a devise that gave no receipts or had anyone constantly watching over who might be lurking about had no choice but to not park there. If others want to risk ID theft via credit card usage, that's on them but why punish those of us who have change to spare and just want to park our cars in a semi-convenient spot for two hours?

• Love 4

Jumping in on the popcorn discussion:  I used to make microwave popcorn (the kind in the bags) until I decided that I too didn't like that weird residue that it left on my fingers and then I read about the dangers of the chemicals in the bag (or whatever the danger was).  I was happy when I realized that microwave popcorn poppers were still being made.  I'm on my second one now (the other one gave out after a few years) and I love it.  You put real popping corn kernels in the bowl and drizzle some veg oil on top.  It takes about 3 minutes to pop a huge bowl of real popcorn.  I put some salt and drizzle some butter-flavored oil on top and it tastes close to movie popcorn.  Good stuff.  On a related note (and to stay on the the topic of pet peeves), I hate it when I have to 're-learn' a new appliance.  My old microwave gave out after many, many years of service.  I got a new one that's close to the original (same brand, looks the same but is a little larger), but I keep burning my popcorn (and overheating other things until they're practically molten).  I still haven't worked out how long to heat up something.  I knew the time for all of my favorites on the old machine and I'm having to remember and adjust for this newer one.  I'll get it figured out eventually, but for now it's annoying.

We finally got a new (to us) microwave, and I keep hitting the wrong buttons because they arevall in different places. We replaced a 23-year-old microwave with an almost new one that my aunt and uncle were replacing because it doesn't fit the microwave spot above the oven in their new house. I like it (aside from the button issue) because I no longer have to adjust times for an 800-watt oven.

On 11/5/2016 at 0:05 PM, lordonia said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but broadcast TV is still free, right?

Then why do the networks require people to sign in online with "your TV provider login" in order to watch shows? CBS goes so far as to ask you to pay for their programming (All Access!) if you missed it on air. It's not about revenue from commercials, either, because the ads are unskippable when streaming.

I blame the cable networks somewhat less because their programming isn't free, but it still bugs.

Broadcast networks collect monthly fees from you. The cable or satellite company sends you the bill and  then turns around and sends the money to the broadcasters. You can see how much on many cable bills as they are often itemized as local broadcast surcharge or fees. 

The broadcasters used to not charge in exchange for cable companies carrying their new cable nets. (You can have Fox for free if you carry our new FX network.). But around the time of the advertising collapse in the late 2000's they needed the new revenue stream and started demanding a fee for retransmitting the free over the air signal. 

My cable company has seen annually compounding increase of these fees since 2011 to the tune of around 35%.

So the reason the "free" networks will never, ever, ever let you have their content is because it takes away their revenue stream from some customers, and much more importantly, it takes away their leverage to raise rates. Because if DirecTV says they won't pay $2.50 per month for ABC when last year it was $1.75, ABC can't just let DirecTV customers stream the content for free, can they? They need to be able to threaten to not let DirecTV have ABC unless they accept the new rate. 

Make sense?

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Blergh said:

Cashless parking meters:  Over a two day period, a significant part of my community suddenly had their parking meters covered up with a metal plug over EVERY SINGLE change slot . Thus, those of us who did not wish to risk ID theft via using credit cards in a devise that gave no receipts or had anyone constantly watching over who might be lurking about had no choice but to not park there. If others want to risk ID theft via credit card usage, that's on them but why punish those of us who have change to spare and just want to park our cars in a semi-convenient spot for two hours?

Is it because labor costs to collect the change were too high? It seems absurd to have 25 cent credit card charges but I guess that's the economy now.

In my immediate area, most of the downtown streets still have coin meters, but the lots (and some of the streets) have switched to pay stations accepting bills or cards only.  But you do get a receipt, so if there's a credit card issue there is a paper trail.

My related peeve: Parking garages that require you to pay at a pay station before leaving (rather than paying at the exit gate as you used to), and then do not put a pay station on every level. 

• Love 1
On 11/3/2016 at 10:49 PM, LJonEarth said:

Plus, it's so hard to watch the cashiers struggle with my reusable bags or remember to not bag my items when I say I can just carry them. They just go through the motions and forget. Once I asked for no bag for my one item and ended up with three.

*SMH* I used to occasionally shop at a grocery store on my way home from work. It seemed to be "in the hood:" their were tall posts outside the store's doors, so you couldn't push a shopping cart to your car--and supposedly steal a shopping cart. When you walked into the store, there was an entire security room, complete with 12 HD TV feeds, and you couldn't carry reusable shopping bags inside the store with you--you had to leave them with the security guard until you were ready to check out.

So after checking in my bags and then running to retrieve them while the cashier was rang up my groceries, I decided this store wasn't convenient for me.

Oh, yeah. And the cashier put my groceries in a plastic bag then placed the plastic bag inside my reusable shopping bag. Kinda defeats the purpose of the reusable bag, doesn't it? And she couldn't understand why I removed my groceries from the plastic bag and left that bag on the counter. 

• Love 3

So I went to the post office today to mail a friend in Canada a package. Hadn't mailed a package internationally in years and forgot that I needed to fill out special customs forms.

So these customs forms were not put out anywhere for customers to fill out while waiting in those long waiting lines, so rather inexplicably, I had to ASK the post office teller to physically hand over the customs form from behind her desk so I then had to spend another 5 minutes filling it out, then 5 more minutes to wait for the next customer to finish with that same teller after taking my previous spot due to my being told to step aside to fill out this long and detailed customs form. A form I could've already had all filled out and ready while waiting in that 15 minute line if the damned place actually had those damned forms out for customers to grab and fill out themselves! Never mind the fact that one has to make a detailed list of each item in the package on these forms, price/value included---my friend's birthday surprises inside be damned! 35 annoyingly pointless minutes later, my package was finally ready to get sent up to Canada: grrrr...USPS, this is why we hate you and are letting UPS and Fed-Ex gain your former glory.

And another thing: why is it so damned difficult to find detailed weekly opening/closing hours online for so many businesses? I go to google a place these days and half the time I'm doing multiple frustrated searches just to find the damned hours listed anywhere---that's just ridiculous!!! 

Edited by Sun-Bun
  • Love 7

I was going to return a dress I ordered online; it fits okay but isn't all that flattering. The company didn't include a return label, which meant either going to Pack and Ship and paying twice as much or driving longer to wait in line at the post office. The dress was $45, so around $8 for postage plus the aggro of USPS. Sigh. I just kept it. Looking like a blueberry is fine. It's FINE!

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

And another thing: why is it so damned difficult to find detailed weekly opening/closing hours online for so many businesses? I go to google a place these days and half the time I'm doing multiple frustrated searches just to find the damned hours listed anywhere---that's just ridiculous!!!

A similar thing about it that would annoy me, as it would many others-- going to a place that is supposed to be open at a certain time, only to find it closed. That would be like if a restaurant was supposed to be open at 6 A.M. for breakfast, and you decide to go and eat there. You get in your car, drive the distance to that restaurant, park your car, but when you get there-- no, closed! You think, "Why would they say they would be open at 6 for breakfast, and then not be?" Things like that have led to many businesses losing customers.

• Love 4

bmasters9, that same thing happened to me this past weekend, yes! Went to a place for brunch that said they were open for brunch that day on ALL their web accounts. Nope, not open!!

Needless to say, they will not be getting me or my friends' brunch business again, the lazy turds...very unprofessional and annoying.

• Love 1

Presactly.   I complained to a friend that I went out of my way to a specific shop at a time their website said they were open. They weren't.  She asked "Did you call ahead to make sure they would be open?"  Why in the hell would I do that?  Isn't that the point of posting their hours on their website, you know, so people don't have to call?

• Love 9
9 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

I agree- especially in this age of instant stuff being available via the 'Net. For me the WORST example of this was when we had this winter storm and I had to hike to work and desperately needed supplies from a convenience store on the way. Not only was it closed but they didn't even bother to put up any kind of sign besides just having their doors locked tight. When I called them on it after the dust settled, they just lamely said that when they'd closed the night before they didn't think the weather would be so bad despite all the forecasts spelling out how bad it was going to be.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, bmasters9 said:

A similar thing about it that would annoy me, as it would many others-- going to a place that is supposed to be open at a certain time, only to find it closed. That would be like if a restaurant was supposed to be open at 6 A.M. for breakfast, and you decide to go and eat there. You get in your car, drive the distance to that restaurant, park your car, but when you get there-- no, closed! You think, "Why would they say they would be open at 6 for breakfast, and then not be?" Things like that have led to many businesses losing customers.

My alternator died a couple of months ago.    The parts for it were going to arrive the following week.   In the meantime I was trying to figure out if I could get away with ordering take out from a new restaurant within walking distance of home.   My commuter-neighbor-girlfriend asked me that morning if I'm stopping by ________ later to hoard meals for the weekend since I wouldn't have wheels.  I said girl I already interneted the menu, as soon as I get off the bus (restaurant is directly across the street from a bus stop) I'm placing my order and running (3 blocks) home.   Picture it, it's Friday late afternoon (this place is only opened on the weekend, the word weekend is in their name).  It's not freezing outside but the weather is changing and it happened to also be raining hard sideways.   The place lists their opening time (5pm) on their website, on flyers they've passed out in the neighborhood and on their awning, so it's kinda permanent lol.  I time the trip home to coincide with arriving 45 minutes after they open.  I get to the bus origination point and call (it's 5:10) no answer.   Fine, I think they're just setting up.  5:30, no answer ok maybe they're busy.  Bus pulls up at 5:40.  Place is dark, gate is drawn and locked.   I walk home, pouting.   Pick up the phone for one last ditch effort - it's 5:59.  

Somebody answers:  "hello"

no business name, no can I help you, just hello, like they were at home too.  

Me:  um is this ________?  

She:  Yes.    

Me:  {letting out relief} ah, ok great, I didn't know if you guys would be opened or not, I checked at 5:40 and nobody was the.....

She:  {cutting me off} well we're here now, how can I help you?

I hung up on her so I could maintain composure.   Then I walked back over there and ordered some dinner.   I'm not proud of it, but that place makes the best banana pudding I've ever had. 

The kicker was I'd gotten off the bus with a young girl, this kid couldn'tve been over 18 and I thought she was milling around waiting for a different bus but when I walked into the restaurant she was the person taking my order (not the same rude lady I encountered on the phone).   I think I was angrier at them for their raggedy ways causing this baby to be stranded outside with nowhere to go than anything else. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Quof said:

Presactly.   I complained to a friend that I went out of my way to a specific shop at a time their website said they were open. They weren't.  She asked "Did you call ahead to make sure they would be open?"  Why in the hell would I do that?  Isn't that the point of posting their hours on their website, you know, so people don't have to call?

This.  shoe repair messed up my favorite pair of boots like, turned them 15 degrees to the right to accommodate for pigeon toes I don't have or something.  When I picked got them home and brought them back into the shop, guy goes well did you look at them before you left?  You know like you check to see that you have all your clothes before leaving the cleaners?   I said hell no.  First of all I check to count my stuff from the cleaners not to see if it's clean because cleaning is ALL. THE. CLEANERS. DOES.  Why the hell would I make sure that you've done the only job you're supposed to?  Why would you give me back my stuff if not?   He said because otherwise then "things like this" happen.    Dude, kill yourself. 

• Love 1