Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, graybrown bird said:

I know this is picky but it is an ongoing peeve I see not just in random posts but in the newspaper from time to time: "lead" as the past tense of "to lead."  The past tense is simply "led."

Maybe what confuses people is that the element "lead" is pronounced like the past tense of the verb ("led").

I have another peeve.  Newscasters now seem to say someone "pleaded" guilty in the past tense.  Now I know it's acceptable to use that term but pretty much all my life they universally used to say simply "pled guilty", which could also be spelled plead (rhyming with lead).  Why did they all of a sudden change?  I was happy with the old way.  "Pleaded" sounds awkward to me.

• Like 10
7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I have another peeve.  Newscasters now seem to say someone "pleaded" guilty in the past tense.  Now I know it's acceptable to use that term but pretty much all my life they universally used to say simply "pled guilty", which could also be spelled plead (rhyming with lead).  Why did they all of a sudden change?  I was happy with the old way.  "Pleaded" sounds awkward to me.

Yes, it does. Just like "dived" sounds awkward to me (I cringe whenever I see this word). But dived & dove are both correct (per MW). Dove came about in the US in the 1800s and it's the word I was taught in school. Dived is still in use in GB. But lately I've been seeing/hearing only dived here in the States (& I don't like it...not one itty bit! 🧐

• Like 6
13 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Yes, it does. Just like "dived" sounds awkward to me (I cringe whenever I see this word). But dived & dove are both correct (per MW). Dove came about in the US in the 1800s and it's the word I was taught in school. Dived is still in use in GB. But lately I've been seeing/hearing only dived here in the States (& I don't like it...not one itty bit! 🧐

What a coincidence, I just saw a TV news report about the Boston cliff diving competition and the announcer used the word "dove"!  I had to back it up to see the report again just to be sure.  So there is hope yet!  

• Like 5
  • Applause 2

The other day I had an MRI. They asked what kind of music I'd prefer & I selected Spa music. So, I'm rolled into the tube, listening to the delicate strains of spa music, imagining myself floating in a lagoon, peaceful, serene.  I hear the typical noises of the imaging stuff, then back to spa music, relaxed...

"You are going to die! Bwahahahaha" a horrid voice screamed. Then it went on screaming about some people being there, and I realized it was some kind of event promo. Then the spa music returned, then the imaging clonks & pounding, then spa music. By the time I got out of it, I was wiped out. Forgot to tell the tech about the screaming promo as all I wanted to do was get the hell outta there. I then went to Trader Joe's and bought a ton of stuff, including a bottle of Stella Pinot Grigio ($9.99!) & enjoyed it with supper. Got an email from the radiology company asking about my experience & I mentioned the screaming message I received!   One of my friends said, "Only *you* would experience something like this".  True. 😁

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 5
  • Hugs 2

Stan culture is really the worst for pop stars.  I'll admit to dabbing in it at times.  Madonna, Christina Aguilera, and Lady Gaga are favs.  But I read those sites just to see what goes on with them for the most part and talk about some of the albums.

I had a real bad experience now on one of those forums.  I admitted to getting along with a "rival" of one of those pop stars.....  I mean God forbid.  Someone more or less told me I should have told them the F off instead.  

It's at this point I really need to step away from these forums and put my energy into better and productive things.  

• Hugs 1
5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

The other day I had an MRI. They asked what kind of music I'd prefer & I selected Spa music. So, I'm rolled into the tube, listening to the delicate strains of spa music, imagining myself floating in a lagoon, peaceful, serene.  I hear the typical noises of the imaging stuff, then back to spa music, relaxed...

"You are going to die! Bwahahahaha" a horrid voice screamed. Then it went on screaming about some people being there, and I realized it was some kind of event promo. Then the spa music returned, then the imaging clonks & pounding, then spa music. By the time I got out of it, I was wiped out. Forgot to tell the tech about the screaming promo as all I wanted to do was get the hell outta there. I then went to Trader Joe's and bought a ton of stuff, including a bottle of Stella Pinot Grigio ($9.99!) & enjoyed it with supper. Got an email from the radiology company asking about my experience & I mentioned the screaming message I received!   One of my friends said, "Only *you* would experience something like this".  True. 😁

I had an MRI last week Wed. and chose Oldies for the music. I had the same experience you had with the Spa music the previous MRI I had so I thought at least with Oldies, the ads wouldn't be so startling. Wrong! They are just as jolting and pulled me out of just grovin' with the oldies! 

Maybe they have to play ads to cover the costs of the music to the producer of the tapes??? They could at least not play such obnoxious ads!

• Like 3
  • Hugs 3

I don't remember any music in the mri. I ran through a few musicals and counted to 100 in German in my head.

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, ABay said:

I don't remember any music in the mri. I ran through a few musicals and counted to 100 in German in my head.

Didn't they give you headphones? That's where the music comes from. I'd never heard an ad until the other day. There's got to be generic music they can buy and use over & over without any fees. 

• Like 3

I had a spinal MRI recently and they said it would take a long time.  Personally MRIs don't bother me at all except when I have to take instruction from the technicians behind the window and I can't make out what they are saying. However that wasn't necessary this time.  They asked me what music I wanted and since I was tired I just asked for something quiet.  "Classical"?  Sure fine.  It went by faster than I thought and I just pretended to doze off.  I'm sure glad I didn't hear any loud ads!

@annzeepark914 you have my sympathies!

• Like 7
8 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I had a very similar experience last year.  It was jolting and scared me out of my wits.  I complained to the techs about it and they told me they had heard this before and were sympathetic but couldn't do anything about it.  Of course!  I thought how dumb to put such loud ads with such soft music.  I told them it was worse than no music at all.  There should be some way they can put on ad-free music.  I listen to Sirius on ad-free channels so I never have to suffer through ads like that and never would have expected it.  

Lucky you that you live where you can buy alcohol at a store like Trader Joe's.  Here in CT we have this archaic liquor law that doesn't allow it.  Liquor other than beer can only be sold in stand-alone liquor stores like in the stone ages.  The supermarkets around here all have signs up asking us to vote to allow it.  At Costco they get around it by having a separate Costco liquor store right next to the Costco.  So stupid.  This state is as slow as molasses to adopt things.  With many things like this we're one of the last states to hang on to some outdated policies.  I was blown away when a few years ago they actually started allowing the sale of alcohol on Sundays!  I thought that would never happen.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
9 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Lucky you that you live where you can buy alcohol at a store like Trader Joe's.  Here in CT we have this archaic liquor law that doesn't allow it. 

Many things I mellow on with age, but I have never gotten over blue laws.  In CA, alcohol is available to buy far beyond liquor stores (so all the chain grocery stores and all but the smallest independent markets that don't want to pay the licensing fee); there's a brief overnight period (2:01 a.m to 5:59 a.m.), when most stores aren't open anyway, when alcohol can't be sold, but that's it.  It's stupid, of course, but at least affecting few people and not rooted in religious shit -- more stringent restrictions, especially those Sunday-specific, are something I've only ever encountered in my travels, and they aggravate me.

I will never forget the time I was flying home from Oklahoma (where much of my dad's family resides) on a Sunday morning, and had my usual, for any morning flight, Bloody Marys on the leg from Oklahoma to Dallas, but then had the flight attendant on the DFW-LAX flight come around asking if I wanted juice or coffee as my pre-takeoff drink rather than that being an open-ended "What can I get you" question.  I, confused by the limitation and not wanting either one, said no thanks but I'd like a Bloody Mary, and she said they couldn't serve alcohol until they left the ground, because it was Sunday.  The hell?  As I understand it, rules have loosened, but damn.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
(edited)

I don't know if Ohio is still a State where you can't buy alcohol on a Sunday, but I do know that the places licensed to sell it, can't sell it to you past 6pm on a Sunday. At least, those were the rules when we tried to buy something for New Year's Eve, a few years ago, and they took it away from us. 

I just looked it up, and there's also something there about not selling between 1am and 5am, during the week. The Sunday ban starts at 2am. I feel like I'm reading something from Footloose. I think the rules are different for restaurants, and actual liquor stores. My dad would get a beer, if we went to get something to eat, in the evening, on a Sunday, unless we went to a place like IHop.

Edited by Anela
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I had an MRI last week Wed. and chose Oldies for the music. I had the same experience you had with the Spa music the previous MRI I had so I thought at least with Oldies, the ads wouldn't be so startling. Wrong! They are just as jolting and pulled me out of just grovin' with the oldies! 

Maybe they have to play ads to cover the costs of the music to the producer of the tapes??? They could at least not play such obnoxious ads!

A free Spotify account, maybe?

• Useful 2
(edited)

There's also the confusion with which states allow hard liquor and wine to be sold in grocery stores, and those that don't.  New York has "liquor stores," which require serious licensing (i.e., payoffs?).  Beer is sold in groceries.  The liquor stores used to be closed on Sundays, so if you were planning a Sunday party, you had to make sure to buy your alcohol in advance.  They used to restrict drinking in restaurants on Sundays early and they used to restrict the grocery beer sales till noon, but they also ended that. 

New Jersey still has blue laws for regular stores.  Like the the mall is closed on Sundays.  It's truly ridiculous.  It may only be some counties in Northern New Jersey.  I'm not sure.  When I was growing up in the Pleistocene Era, New York clothing and other regular stores were closed on Sundays, but that hasn't been true for at least 50 years. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 2

Aren't liquor stores in CT called "package stores"? Having also grown up in the Pleistocene Era in NYS, I remember being able to drink at age 18. There were a lot of teens from CT & NJ killed on their way home from NYS bars back then. 

• Like 2
(edited)
25 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

There's also the confusion with which states allow hard liquor and wine to be sold in grocery stores, and those that don't.  New York has "liquor stores," which require serious licensing (i.e., payoffs?).  Beer is sold in groceries.  The liquor stores used to be closed on Sundays, so if you were planning a Sunday party, you had to make sure to buy your alcohol in advance.  They used to restrict drinking in restaurants on Sundays early and they used to restrict the grocery beer sales till noon, but they also ended that. 

New Jersey still has blue laws for regular stores.  Like the the mall is closed on Sundays.  It's truly ridiculous.  It may only be some counties in Northern New Jersey.  I'm not sure.  When I was growing up in the Pleistocene Era, New York stores were closed on Sundays, but that hasn't been true for at least 50 years. 

CT has very similar liquor blue laws as NY requiring separate liquor stores, except NY started allowing the sale of alcohol on Sundays earlier than CT if I recall correctly.

Also, the NJ blue laws involving regular stores only applies to Bergen County which has several large malls and shopping plazas close to each other.  I remember the logic was that the area needed a break from the extra traffic which flooded the area with shoppers, especially on weekends.  I don't know if that is still the case these days, though, as some stores have closed and mall traffic is down so it does seem a bit archaic.

5 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Aren't liquor stores in CT called "package stores"? Having also grown up in the Pleistocene Era in NYS, I remember being able to drink at age 18. There were a lot of teens from CT & NJ killed on their way home from NYS bars back then. 

Haha, yeah, they used to be called package stores when I first moved here but that has been going away for a while now and only a few really old stores I know of still call themselves that.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Useful 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

I think they use the term package stores in a number of states where they have separate stores with all the types of alcohol.  Yup, in NY the drinking age was 18 until that big change in federal law. We took a spring break college trip to Florida and couldn't buy alcohol legally.  We were not used to having to produce fake IDs and we didn't have any.  I think we managed to buy drinks in a couple of places where they didn't card. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

True. I actually know a few that drove to Greenwood Lake NY and never made it home. Unfortunately there were accounts of this in the newspaper monthly of accidents and deaths.  

When I was a small child we used to vacation on a beach and it was a “dry county” so my parents would fill two milk bottles. One with vodka and one with rum. We got down there once and I asked my brother for some cold water as I was thirsty after the hot trip (no a/c back then). He poured me a glass of vodka which I promptly drank up. I got sick and had to go to the hospital. Nowadays my parents probably would have been charged with child abuse or having had alcohol in a minors reach. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 3

Laws in Ontario are only just easing.  I think we should be able to buy beer at convenience stores soon.  Some grocery stores sell alcohol, but not all (our soon-to-be-four Eataly stores have wine, for example).  Hard liquor still needs to be purchased at provincial stores called the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario).  Different provinces have different regulations. There are wine stores (e.g. Wine Rack) as well, but those places have limited selection.  Wine Rack, for example, sells only Ontario wines.   

• Useful 2
(edited)
38 minutes ago, PRgal said:

for example, sells only Ontario wines.   

I have to laugh at this.  I guess it's the same type of grape that can grow in upstate NY, which has always been an oddball wine producing area, not known for great wines.

Now Eastern Long Island has become a big wine producing area for NY and many wines are considered good.  It's a more temperate climate. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 1
(edited)

I don't want anyone to think I am giving a pass on drinking and driving.  In NYC we never had to drive to bars.  It horrifies me now to think of the out-of-state kids who would drive in.  Yikes. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I have to laugh at this.  I guess it's the same type of grape that can grow in upstate NY, which has always been an oddball wine producing area, not known for great wines.

Now Eastern Long Island has become a big wine producing area for NY and many wines are considered good.  It's a more temperate climate. 

The Niagara region is known for its ice wines.  Eastern Ontario (Prince Edward County) is also one of our wine regions, more up-and-coming.  I think the grapes there are more like the ones in Upstate NY?

Some info on Ontario wines

Edited by PRgal
  • Like 1
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

The liquor stores in Virginia are state-run.  You can get wine and beer at grocery and convenience stores, though.

Same in Pennsylvania.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, PRgal said:

The Niagara region is known for its ice wines.  Eastern Ontario (Prince Edward County) is also one of our wine regions, more up-and-coming.  I think the grapes there are more like the ones in Upstate NY?

Some info on Ontario wines

Very interesting!  I also looked up ice wines, as I never knew what they were. 

• Useful 2

We took the scenic tour on our way to a wedding in Michigan. Stopped at Niagara Falls (I'd never been that far over in "way" upstate NY) & went up to Niagara-on-the-Lake to a B&B. We'd been told about ice wine but didn't try it (I'd heard it was a bit sweet). The strange thing for me is, whenever I'm in Canada, I don't realize I'm in a foreign country until I watch the news or read a newspaper (except for Nova Scotia...I can feel it there). The US is lucky to have such a good neighbor. It's been said though, that for Canadians, it's like living upstairs from a meth lab 🙀.

• Like 6
  • LOL 2
8 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

We took the scenic tour on our way to a wedding in Michigan. Stopped at Niagara Falls (I'd never been that far over in "way" upstate NY) & went up to Niagara-on-the-Lake to a B&B. We'd been told about ice wine but didn't try it (I'd heard it was a bit sweet). The strange thing for me is, whenever I'm in Canada, I don't realize I'm in a foreign country until I watch the news or read a newspaper (except for Nova Scotia...I can feel it there). The US is lucky to have such a good neighbor. It's been said though, that for Canadians, it's like living upstairs from a meth lab 🙀.

Yes, ice wine is very sweet.  I've really only had it once or twice, but we keep a few bottles of normal wine from the Niagara region.  Not bad, IMHO.  

• Useful 1
(edited)

Package store is a New England thing. They sell hard liquor and wine. Beer, of course, you can buy at the grocery store. But not cider. Except some similar things like Mike's Hard Lemonade. Liquor stores have only been allowed to open on Sundays for the last few years. Fucking Puritans, man.

ETA: I am commenting by not commenting on the Falls, Canada, and "upstate".😉

Edited by ABay
  • Like 1
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, ABay said:

Package store is a New England thing. They sell hard liquor and wine. Beer, of course, you can buy at the grocery store. But not cider. Except some similar things like Mike's Hard Lemonade. Liquor stores have only been allowed to open on Sundays for the last few years. Fucking Puritans, man.

ETA: I am commenting by not commenting on the Falls, Canada, and "upstate".😉

I remember being in Provincetown on a Sunday with some friends. We were at a nice bar/restaurant type place, listening to a great band. It was so frustrating because per blue laws, dancing on Sunday wasn't allowed (but drinking sure was!)

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

2 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I remember being in Provincetown on a Sunday with some friends. We were at a nice bar/restaurant type place, listening to a great band. It was so frustrating because per blue laws, dancing on Sunday wasn't allowed (but drinking sure was!)

See above

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
3 hours ago, ABay said:

ETA: I am commenting by not commenting on the Falls, Canada, and "upstate".

Your cryptic post reminded me of the many regional divisions in New York State. Back in 1996 when I found a forum for NYS, I was astounded to learn that New Yorkers were *still* arguing about "where upstate really begins". This was 20 years after I'd moved out of NYS. That forum seems to have disappeared. I wonder if somewhere, they're still arguing: is it Westchester? the Catskills? I think there were 6-7 regions, different accents, different foods, until in recent years, when "city" people began moving north. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Your cryptic post reminded me of the many regional divisions in New York State. Back in 1996 when I found a forum for NYS, I was astounded to learn that New Yorkers were *still* arguing about "where upstate really begins". This was 20 years after I'd moved out of NYS. That forum seems to have disappeared. I wonder if somewhere, they're still arguing: is it Westchester? the Catskills? I think there were 6-7 regions, different accents, different foods, until in recent years, when "city" people began moving north. 

At our state bar meetings, this always comes up.  The Buffalonians complain that they are not upstate.  They're Western New York. 

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 6

I'll bet -- lawyers will argue about anything.  My parents said they knew I was destined to become a lawyer because I was arguing before I could even speak full sentences.

• Like 1
  • LOL 7
58 minutes ago, fairffaxx said:

I'll bet -- lawyers will argue about anything.  My parents said they knew I was destined to become a lawyer because I was arguing before I could even speak full sentences.

Same here. I resisted for a number of years and worked in magazines for a while. Then I saw the light 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Hah, this reminded me of something a friend once told me years ago.  He said according to NYC-ers there are 3 levels of "upstate".  There's upstate, there's way upstate and then there's way the fuck upstate!

So true, and hysterical if you consider that my family and I would say we're going upstate when we went to White Plains, LOL.

But seriously, I think "upstate" is a relative term to wherever you are. 

• Wink 2
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1

At our state bar meetings, this always comes up.  The Buffalonians complain that they are not upstate.  They're Western New York. 

It's not a complaint, it's a statement of fact. The entire globe doesn't center on NYC so that everything else is up or down in relation to it.

• Like 1

It's not a complaint, it's a statement of fact. The entire globe doesn't center on NYC so that everything else is up or down in relation to it.

Not to argue, (although doing that is in my DNA too and I could have become a lawyer myself), but even if you're not in NYC, referring to points that far North near the northernmost border are technically "upstate" in relation to the southernmost end of the state anyway.  It just happens that NYC is in that southernmost position.

Has the quote function disappeared for anyone else?

No, not for me, but it's not showing who made the quote.

• Like 2

Yes. As you can see it doesn’t show that the above quote came from you @Quof and it happened to me on another thread as well. 

• Like 1

I can't even get the quote box?  I can cut and paste, with quotation marks to show I'm quoting but that's it. 

• Like 1

Yes. Not just the quote function, but when you mark a topic all read, you get the box with the two blue boxes, but text is missing.

I have reported it to the mods. 

I reported it/created a topic in the bugs/technically speaking forum.

I suspect it has something to do with the site being all wonky late, late last night.

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Not to argue, (although doing that is in my DNA too and I could have become a lawyer myself), but even if you're not in NYC, referring to points that far North near the northernmost border are technically "upstate" in relation to the southernmost end of the state anyway.  It just happens that NYC is in that southernmost position.

WNY is west. Northern New York is north. The issue is political. If you are repeatedly told that someone finds a name offensive and you keep calling them by that name, you are assuming that you have more right than they do to determine their identity.

• Like 7
5 hours ago, Quof said:

I can't even get the quote box?  I can cut and paste, with quotation marks to show I'm quoting but that's it. 

The mods asked me to try again as they saw my report. It seems to be working now. 

• Thanks 1
(edited)

Random peeve (aren't they all, I guess?): people who appear to think Merriam-Webster is a woman named Miriam Webster. I have encountered this more than once.

New Jersey still has blue laws for regular stores.  Like the the mall is closed on Sundays.  It's truly ridiculous.  It may only be some counties in Northern New Jersey.  I'm not sure.  

It is only some -- I can only think of one, actually, but that doesn't mean there aren't more. Everything around me is open on Sundays. I think the blue law Sundays may be more the exception than the rule in Jersey.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 2