Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

14 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Yeah, well, I'm on FaceBook as it's the best way for me to stay connected with my friends and family in India and my other friends who live in different states.

That's why it still works for me.  I have family and friends in Canada and the UK that I like to stay in touch with and FB is a good way to do that.  The snooze feature though does make some of my extended family more bearable 😀.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

A few years ago I went through the process of picking out stamps online from the USPS. Then I discovered they were going to charge me shipping, and I never placed the order.

I mean, I get that the post office needs to charge a small amount to deliver mail, but I couldn't get past the idea in my head that THEY WERE COMING TO MY HOUSE ANYWAY, WHY CAN'T THEY JUST DROP OFF THE STAMPS WHILE THEY'RE HERE?

I just went to preorder the new RBG stamp and noticed they don't charge for shipping but do charge for handling. I looked because I remember you sharing that you were being charged for shipping. I bet they renamed it "handling" because, like you said,they're already going to your house! 😂

I'll pre-order because I can't be trusted to remember to go to the post office and don't want to miss them. I don't collect stamps but I want them to use. 

• Like 7
15 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I just went to preorder the new RBG stamp and noticed they don't charge for shipping but do charge for handling. I looked because I remember you sharing that you were being charged for shipping. I bet they renamed it "handling" because, like you said,they're already going to your house! 😂

I'll pre-order because I can't be trusted to remember to go to the post office and don't want to miss them. I don't collect stamps but I want them to use. 

Same. I gleefully splurged on the Tomie de Paola stamps, because I loved that guy and I shouldn’t be allowed to have money.

• LOL 7
3 hours ago, Shelbie said:

Some people are astonished that I’m not on it and wonder how I keep up with everyone.

I don't have Facebook, either, and anyone who can't be bothered to communicate directly with people anymore, just post their life on social media, I don't give a shit if I don't keep up with them.  When it first became a thing, my cousin joined, and emailed a bunch of us in the family out of the blue (I email with my aunt sometimes, but never with her; I just see her at funerals) saying it would be so great to catch up, everyone come join Facebook.  Several of us emailed back saying we weren't interested in Facebook, but it was great to hear from her and would love to hear what she's up to.  Crickets.

• Like 7

Ordered the new iPhone today and GOODNESS, my provider's site CRASHED every time I tried to order for store pick-up (plus the interface looks like it's 20 years old)!!  Ended up ordering it to ship to my house and it was fine.  Why don't these companies update their site?!

• Mind Blown 3
19 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Ordered the new iPhone today and GOODNESS, my provider's site CRASHED every time I tried to order for store pick-up (plus the interface looks like it's 20 years old)!!  Ended up ordering it to ship to my house and it was fine.  Why don't these companies update their site?!

It couldn’t have been worse than Apple’s site.  When the store came back up the app couldn’t find my saved order information, it took 25 minutes for my MacBook to get access to the store and then it finally went through. There was no pickup option for me but I was lucky because half an hour later the phone I ordered was shipping in November.

I hate losing the physical sim slot but my last phone still has one and I’m keeping it since my Irish phone provider has said they would offer esim in 2020/2021/2022/2023 and I expect shortly it will change to “coming in 2024”.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, Caoimhe said:

It couldn’t have been worse than Apple’s site.  When the store came back up the app couldn’t find my saved order information, it took 25 minutes for my MacBook to get access to the store and then it finally went through. There was no pickup option for me but I was lucky because half an hour later the phone I ordered was shipping in November.

I hate losing the physical sim slot but my last phone still has one and I’m keeping it since my Irish phone provider has said they would offer esim in 2020/2021/2022/2023 and I expect shortly it will change to “coming in 2024”.

What sucks about losing the Lightning port is that I also had to purchase an adapter so I can use my wired EarPods.  I have AirPods as well, but what am I supposed to use when they’re charging?  Also I don’t like taking them out of the house, just in case they fall out of my ears and I lose them!  At least if it falls out at home, I know they’re somewhere….unless they fall in the toilet or something!  

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Someone around here (metro DC area) said Harris Teeter might soon change into Piggly Wiggly. Hmmm...here's a thought: guess I might end up calling my regular supermarket "The Pig" like the southerners do. I kinda like that! 😁

There’s a Harris Tweeter a mile down the road from me, behind the now defunct White Flint* Metro station. Off of Old Georgetown Road. I’ll have to check it out.

*Since White Flint Mall was shut down, they changed the metro station’s name to North Bethesda. Which is stupid. They didn’t change White Flint Plaza where the Aldi’s, Rodman’s Gourmet, Petco, my salon, UPS store, and other retail shops are located. So why change the station’s name? The mall was a good 10-15 minute walk from the station.

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

There’s a Harris Tweeter a mile down the road from me, behind the now defunct White Flint* Metro station. Off of Old Georgetown Road. I’ll have to check it out.

Harris Teeter sells light olive oil...no one else does around here. I use it for salad dressings & cooking. Their ice cream is always frozen solid (you can't squeeze it) so it makes it home to your freezer in good shape. And in the horridly hot summers we endure here? Their AC is always on full blast (I wrap a sweater around my waist just in case I get too chilled). And they sell Village Campari tomatoes--the *only* tomatoes, IMO, that still have that sweet tomato-y taste.  

• Like 2
  • Love 2

On 9/13/2023 at 5:05 PM, Salacious Kitty said:

Oh I know. I can't seem to send them to my MIL. The post office doesn't recognize her address. I have to have them sent to me, then dropped off at her building when I am in her neck of the woods.

The IRS and the post office think I live in different cities.  Sometimes you just have to wonder how everything just doesn't come crashing down.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, PRgal said:

What sucks about losing the Lightning port is that I also had to purchase an adapter so I can use my wired EarPods.  I have AirPods as well, but what am I supposed to use when they’re charging?  Also I don’t like taking them out of the house, just in case they fall out of my ears and I lose them!  At least if it falls out at home, I know they’re somewhere….unless they fall in the toilet or something!  

I agree, we’re traveling again so I need either the adapter or a pair of usb-c EarPods.  I really wish that they would include them (as well as a charging cable) this year because of changing the charging port. Then again this is Apple so “we didn’t raise the phone price but you will need to buy these accessories”. I will only use my older AirPods outdoors because the battery life has declined to the point I won’t be upset if I lose them.  The newer ones stay in the house.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Someone around here (metro DC area) said Harris Teeter might soon change into Piggly Wiggly. Hmmm...here's a thought: guess I might end up calling my regular supermarket "The Pig" like the southerners do. I kinda like that! 😁

I'd heard Harris Teeter was a more upscale brand.  Is that so? If so, I'd be surprised if they changed to Piggly Wiggly.

• Like 3
52 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I'd heard Harris Teeter was a more upscale brand.  Is that so? If so, I'd be surprised if they changed to Piggly Wiggly.

QFC is a more upscale brand around here and from what they're saying, they won't be changing any names due to monopoly concerns.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

HT is a very nice supermarket. Back when I lived in Raleigh, I was thrilled when HT, based in the Charlotte area, opened up stores near me as the grocery stores there were not upscale at all. We lived in North Raleigh (with the rest of the Yankees 😏) and our HT was slightly different from the one in the center of the city that catered to southerners. When we moved to the metro DC area, I was shocked at how ordinary the supermarkets were here. Then Harris Teeter opened stores here (yay!) & HT was the queen of supermarkets for several years. And then, life really changed for all the grocery stores--Wegmans came to town, in all its glory. I'd be very surprised if HT changed its name to Piggly Wiggly in this area. 

• Like 3

Anticipating the NYC Wegmans coming soon to the East Village!  

22 hours ago, Bastet said:

I don't have Facebook, either, and anyone who can't be bothered to communicate directly with people anymore, just post their life on social media, I don't give a shit if I don't keep up with them.  When it first became a thing, my cousin joined, and emailed a bunch of us in the family out of the blue (I email with my aunt sometimes, but never with her; I just see her at funerals) saying it would be so great to catch up, everyone come join Facebook.  Several of us emailed back saying we weren't interested in Facebook, but it was great to hear from her and would love to hear what she's up to.  Crickets.

I follow some dog people on Facebook!  Lots of cute silly stuff 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PRgal said:

Speaking of weird grocery store names, there's a chain here called Metro.  When I think Metro, I think transit or a city.  

It is *so* generic. They might as well name it "City Market" or "Town Market"...very depersonalized, which probably is the point...

My main market is El Rancho, which I appreciate as it reflect the strong Hispanic heritage of my area! Pet peeve: We really don't have a first class Mexican restaurant around here (I suspect all the great cooking is going on in people's kitchens...).

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, isalicat said:

It is *so* generic. They might as well name it "City Market" or "Town Market"...very depersonalized, which probably is the point...

My main market is El Rancho, which I appreciate as it reflect the strong Hispanic heritage of my area! Pet peeve: We really don't have a first class Mexican restaurant around here (I suspect all the great cooking is going on in people's kitchens...).

There's also a chain of City Markets here.  They're all in urban areas and are a franchise name of a chain of supermarkets.  We also have Farm Boy, which was, at one point, only in the Ottawa region.  It's sort of our equivalent to Trader Joe's.  Or we like to think it is. LOL

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
7 hours ago, PRgal said:

Speaking of weird grocery store names, there's a chain here called Metro.  When I think Metro, I think transit or a city.  

Apparently the company that owned the chain named the stores Metro exactly because at the time they were choosing a name Montreal started building their Metro system.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

So where I live we have a lot of seasonal ice cream stores. Not a peeve. But I do hate people acting all hyperbolic when their favorite place closes for the season. One of the places is having their last day tomorrow and people are on Facebook saying they’re “heartbroken” and “it’s too early to close” and act like they can’t possibly go anywhere else for ice cream or buy a gallon the grocery store like a normal human being. It’s closing until next year; not forever. Can’t you just go to one of the other 25 places that are still open instead of demanding a business pander to you? Our local Dairy Queen stays open until November and we have a few ice cream businesses open all year. You’ll live I promise! 

• Like 5
6 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

So where I live we have a lot of seasonal ice cream stores. Not a peeve. But I do hate people acting all hyperbolic when their favorite place closes for the season. One of the places is having their last day tomorrow and people are on Facebook saying they’re “heartbroken” and “it’s too early to close” and act like they can’t possibly go anywhere else for ice cream or buy a gallon the grocery store like a normal human being. It’s closing until next year; not forever. Can’t you just go to one of the other 25 places that are still open instead of demanding a business pander to you? Our local Dairy Queen stays open until November and we have a few ice cream businesses open all year. You’ll live I promise! 

Plus there’s always the supermarket freezer section.  Lol. Even though you’re basically stuck with more basic flavours.  

• Like 3

Once again, DON'T TEXT AND WALK.  A young woman just in front of me was walking so slowly because she was typing on her phone.  If she wants to chat with someone/look for a location/whatever, she should stand aside.  It's only proper phone (and pedestrian) etiquette.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 6
  • Love 1

I'm sorry dogs that always bark are annoying.  But I do have sensitive hearing.

Whenever I take a walk I find it annoying whenever I pass a house and a dog either in the house or runs up to me by the fence starts barking its head off at me.  But today I walked by a dog who ran up to the fence where I was.  I was fully expecting it to bark his or head off at me but the dog didnt.  Odds are I would probably like that dog 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, PRgal said:

Once again, DON'T TEXT AND WALK.  A young woman just in front of me was walking so slowly because she was typing on her phone.  If she wants to chat with someone/look for a location/whatever, she should stand aside.  It's only proper phone (and pedestrian) etiquette.  

Not to worry, these are eventual winners of the Darwin Awards. They will classically fall down open man holes or get hit by a bus....not that I wish them ill, but stupid is as stupid does, eh? As long as they are not driving a car (which is a major peeve - I would be in favor of some sort of "zone" that disables all cell phones that were not entirely hands free for drivers), I'm good.

• Like 4
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 2
On 9/17/2023 at 3:23 PM, isalicat said:

Not to worry, these are eventual winners of the Darwin Awards. They will classically fall down open man holes or get hit by a bus....not that I wish them ill, but stupid is as stupid does, eh? As long as they are not driving a car (which is a major peeve - I would be in favor of some sort of "zone" that disables all cell phones that were not entirely hands free for drivers), I'm good.

Sorry my friend, cell phone use while driving, whether hands free or not, has been proved to be as dangerous as drunk driving in study after study.

From Lundy Law:

• According to the National Safety Council. Approximately 26 percent of all car crashes involve a driver who was talking on the phone and some of those drivers were using a hands-free device. One reason that even hands-free devices are not safe while driving is that the brain quickly toggles between tasks, but cannot do two things at once.
  • In fact, the area of the brain that processes moving images decreases as much as one-third when a driver is on the phone. Recent studies have found that drivers who were talking on any type of phone missed seeing 50 percent of the things around them. Consider how difficult it is to read a book or watch a television show while talking on the phone.
  • Driving takes considerably more concentration than either of those activities. Many people also use voice-to-text options while driving, believing it is safer, yet new studies show that this is even more dangerous than typing texts by hand.

Here's an extract from a report by the National Safety Council:

• Furthermore, the TV show “Myth Busters” found that driving while using a hands-free device is as dangerous as drunk driving. Later simulations compared drivers using hands-on and hands-free driving. Their results showed that both types of cell phone use are equally dangerous; only one driver in each study passed the driving test. The remainder of the drivers in both tests failed by going the wrong way or by crashing.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4

Oh, supermarket peeves. My online pickup last night was a real mess -- missing stuff, crappy avocados,* blah blah. In fact, the previous time was a nightmare too; I had to go back because they forgot all my produce! And, yes, before anyone mentions that I could just do it myself -- I know this. But it's an offered service that I pay for** so I feel like I am not being a diva by wishing it would actually work a larger percentage of the time. On top of that, it is the household chore that I despise the absolute most, which is why I have chosen to take it off of my ample to-do list. Luckily, they're great about refunding and even adding some "we're sorry" money, but one still has make time to contact them and possibly make another trip.

*I always wonder if crappy avocados are a result of the packer not being an avocado person! Maybe they don't know the obnoxious nature of the finicky avocado.
**It's a nominal fee (much less than I would accept to do someone's food shopping!), so I go back and forth on whether it's worth it. Sometimes you get a super-fabulous shopper, sometimes you don't. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

I have used and liked InstaCart for smaller orders, especially when my foot was broken, but not for the "big" grocery shopping days. I think it costs more and it's also harder for some reason to find everything I need on the site. BUt InstaCart is definitely pretty great in its own way; I have had nothing but good luck with the shoppers I've gotten.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I looked into InstaCart as my friend uses it and raves about them. So many products rose in price compared to if I went to the store. Since I’m paying for the service, I didn’t want to also over pay for the groceries. I do my own shopping. 

• Like 4

To be honest, I don't even know that my grocery orders wouldn't be a mess even if I did it myself. I can envision getting bored halfway through and hurling just whatever into the cart just to get done. Then there's the register line and the bagging and the lugging. No thanks!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

My son is a truck driver…the things he sees people doing in their cars boggles the mind!

I imagine he gets quite the bird's eye view of some activities that most people would prefer not to be seen by anyone else!

• Like 1
  • Wink 2
  • LOL 2
8 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

To be honest, I don't even know that my grocery orders wouldn't be a mess even if I did it myself. I can envision getting bored halfway through and hurling just whatever into the cart just to get done. Then there's the register line and the bagging and the lugging. No thanks!

I actually like grocery shopping, since I live alone and I enjoy the social aspect.  It definitely helps that my two shops of choice have lovely employees and generous, easy return/refund policies.  The one I go to for produce has generally great quality stuff, the other one is Trader Joe's and I love to snack - 'nuff said.  It also helps that both are less than five minutes away, and I can shop when it's not busy (not that that's ever really a problem at either since they staff their stores adequately).  Also, if I go on a Friday, I inevitably see someone I know personally so I get to "gossip".

• Like 7
38 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I have used and liked InstaCart for smaller orders, especially when my foot was broken, but not for the "big" grocery shopping days. I think it costs more and it's also harder for some reason to find everything I need on the site. BUt InstaCart is definitely pretty great in its own way; I have had nothing but good luck with the shoppers I've gotten.

I've had issues with them when I shop at one particular store, ranging from a shopper wanting ME to close the order (she's the one who's supposed to do it because I can't on my end) to getting someone else's order.  That store has since moved to Uber.  Other stores seem to be fine.  Strange, no?  I also support local/small businesses by shopping online from one of those places.  They tend to be good, and they focus on a lot of local businesses themselves.  Inventory hasn't been that great lately, but they also merged with another online grocery store that focuses on local/organic.  They're supposedly launching a bunch of new things in the next couple of months, leading to the holiday season. :) 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Ancaster said:

I actually like grocery shopping, since I live alone and I enjoy the social aspect.  It definitely helps that my two shops of choice have lovely employees and generous, easy return/refund policies.  The one I go to for produce has generally great quality stuff, the other one is Trader Joe's and I love to snack - 'nuff said.  It also helps that both are less than five minutes away, and I can shop when it's not busy (not that that's ever really a problem at either since they staff their stores adequately).  Also, if I go on a Friday, I inevitably see someone I know personally so I get to "gossip".

I've always liked grocery shopping and attribute this to my never having had little kids (with me). It's always been a leisurely stroll through the store while thinking about what I plan to cook. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
On 9/17/2023 at 4:48 PM, BlueSkies said:

Whenever I take a walk I find it annoying whenever I pass a house and a dog either in the house or runs up to me by the fence starts barking its head off at me.

We've got two dogs, both some kind of poodle mix, who bark like lunatics every time somebody walks by. They're both inside of electric fences, so they're a ways back in their yards, but still...

The retired ladies I frequently see walking when I'm out walking my dog have mentioned that they don't like the barking dogs (while complimenting Norman, who completely ignores the barking.)

• Like 3
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

I've always liked grocery shopping and attribute this to my never having had little kids (with me). It's always been a leisurely stroll through the store while thinking about what I plan to cook. 

Funnily enough, probably my best supermarket memory is from when my daughter saw her KG teacher there and got that classic, "My teacher exists out of school?" look!

image.png.d043140aa826765ad7709fef551e2f1e.png

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 1
  • LOL 8

If I'm out walking and pass a yard with a barking dog, I'll just talk to the dog and tell it what a good dog it is for scaring off intruders.  Talking to the dog in a nice voice generally will calm it down enough to at least slack off the barking, if not actually be quiet.

17 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Nope... teachers go back into the clouds until the next school day. I sure never saw them out & about.

I once saw my gynecologist at the mall.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

Before my sister got married, she taught first grade at a school in a small town in NYS for a year. She said that when the teachers wanted to go out and socialize, they went to another town (this was many years ago and their socializing was having dinner & a few drinks at a restaurant...no wild & crazy stuff 😏).

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

My lawn mower is driving me insane.  A few weeks ago, I couldn't get it to start.  Turns out mice had gotten into it and gnawed on some wires, causing it to short out.  I got that fixed, but today, it wouldn't turn off!  When I finished with it, I released all the handles and levers as I usually do, and it just sat there and idled.  The blade was even still turning.  I could completely walk away from it!  I finally realized I could close a valve on the fuel line and block that, and the stupid thing stopped when it couldn't get gas anymore.  

I don't know whether to try to get it fixed now or just wait until I take it for its usual Fall service in November.

Separate, but related peeve -- the stupid mice getting into my shed and nesting in my lawnmower, plus the smelly stuff that's supposed to keep mice away, but apparently does not work!

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 3