Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Yep.  We've just been stuck under this low pressure system for the past week.  I'm tired of the cold rain, but I don't really envy Texas at the minute!  

Hi, from Texas. If we're not having massive destructive storms, we're experiencing 100+ degrees with ridiculously high dew points. Mother Nature hates us (for good reason, I'll grant her). I hate it here.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 8
(edited)
36 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Hi, from Texas. If we're not having massive destructive storms, we're experiencing 100+ degrees with ridiculously high dew points. Mother Nature hates us (for good reason, I'll grant her). I hate it here.

I recommend NV. I love it here! The news says we are on track for a new record for the latest 100+ day. It's supposed to be 100+ next weekend though. As long as there is no humidity, bring it!

Didn't realize this was the peeve thread. So to keep it topical, my peeve is that my shorts don't fit. :(

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 3
  • Wink 2
  • LOL 2
12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I should not have to turn on my bloody heat in the middle of bloody June!  I should need the AC -- or at least be able to open windows without freezing!  The high temp today was about 62F, and that's lower than what our June lows usually are.  And it's been pouring the rain all damn week.  I need some sun!

My neighbor across the street left town last weekend, and left one of her car windows halfway down.  Her car has to be full of rain by now.

Meanwhile, I'm loving this weather! Low 60's, rain off & on. The pots of flowers on the deck are looking healthy. I'd love another summer like 2009 when metro DC area was cool (until August). Why didn't someone tape a big garbage bag on the person's open car window?

• Like 3
15 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

I think it’s an El Niño year also…

Ugh. What that usually means is that the warm water bullies the weather pattern into something unusual, and whatever you get, you're going to get A LOT of for months.  

So if you're getting rain, get used to rain. If it's hot, get used to hot. El Nino brings floods to some and droughts to others. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I thought climate change came into use because some people can't distinguish between weather (it's snowing where I live) and climate (Earth's hottest [insert month of choice] on record, glaciers continue to melt at frightening speed, etc.).

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

Climate change describes any changes that might be occurring.  Weather is not climate; climate is long term weather.  Global warming is the type of climate change that the Earth is experiencing most recently.

Peeve - the wind storms we had last winter blew the hell out of my 30+ year old roof so now I have to shell out the big bucks for that.  I'm still picking up shingles.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 4
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Ugh. What that usually means is that the warm water bullies the weather pattern into something unusual, and whatever you get, you're going to get A LOT of for months.  

So if you're getting rain, get used to rain. If it's hot, get used to hot. El Nino brings floods to some and droughts to others. 

We (Southern California) had lots of rain over the winter (and piles of snow in the mountains) then May Gray and June Gloom keeping it cool (I should say that isn't the same inland). Well, that seems to be over as now it is sunny so the heat will hit. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
22 minutes ago, nokat said:

Well, that seems to be over as now

And just in time -- my cat and I were both about to lose it completely over the damn May Gray and June Gloom.  We get cranky without sunshine.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

And just in time -- my cat and I were both about to lose it completely over the damn May Gray and June Gloom.  We get cranky without sunshine.

I think it was affecting me too. I'm so used to sunshine every day. I love the cool weather, but it does get to be a downer. A cat without a bit of sunshine to lay in is a sad cat.

I'm very soon moving away from the sunshine to a state that has thunderstorms and tornado warnings and humid heat. And bugs, many many bugs like mosquitoes. 

• Sad 4

I don't know if this is a peeve or not, but kids' birthday packages:  Time slots are often awkward!  We're talking 10-noon, 1-3, 4-6.  And packages include food - meal-like food such as pizza or burgers.  So food might be served at 10:30 or 1:45 or whatever.  I'm sure it was like that when I was little (I was either the birthday kid or a guest at more than one Pizza Hut, Chuck E. Cheese or McDonald's party) but I'm now looking at it from the parent perspective (and not to mention, the one forking up the costs)!  Oh, and the birthday package doesn't include cake.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I don't know if this is a peeve or not, but kids' birthday packages:  Time slots are often awkward!  We're talking 10-noon, 1-3, 4-6.  And packages include food - meal-like food such as pizza or burgers.  So food might be served at 10:30 or 1:45 or whatever.  I'm sure it was like that when I was little (I was either the birthday kid or a guest at more than one Pizza Hut, Chuck E. Cheese or McDonald's party) but I'm now looking at it from the parent perspective (and not to mention, the one forking up the costs)!  Oh, and the birthday package doesn't include cake.

It’s a peeve if you you think it’s a peeve!  But really, as long as you make it clear on the invitations that a meal will be served, or not, so parents have a heads up, I think you’re good. 

And, honestly, they’re probably doing you a favor by letting you bring your own cake. Homemade, grocery store, ice cream cake - you can make it more likely to be something your kid likes. 

• Like 3

Why the god damn hell can I never have a spray bottle that actually works properly? Why is this difficult in 2023? Why are they so fragile and crappy? Always with the leaking or the having to tilt it wacky to aim it or the sudden "how'd that get there?" crack in the twisty part at the neck! Come on. 

Generally, I use refillable bottles. But this rant also applies to the ones that are already filled.

(And I do not mean clogs and it is not user error! And, yes, I know that sometimes you have to trim down the straw because it's touching the bottom...bah!)

• Like 7
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 2
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Why the god damn hell can I never have a spray bottle that actually works properly? Why is this difficult in 2023? Why are they so fragile and crappy? Always with the leaking or the having to tilt it wacky to aim it or the sudden "how'd that get there?" crack in the twisty part at the neck! Come on. 

Generally, I use refillable bottles. But this rant also applies to the ones that are already filled.

(And I do not mean clogs and it is not user error! And, yes, I know that sometimes you have to trim down the straw because it's touching the bottom...bah!)

Why can't we get a shopping cart that doesn't pull to one side. It is always how can we make it cheaper.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

I've been feeling it a little more with my family of late.  Or am at least in a mood where I'm getting angry thinking about this stuff.

My mom at home told me she got really annoyed one time my aunt came over and told her the kitchen looked cluttered.  To which I dont think my aunt meant to be insulting but I can definitely see how it can come across that way and dont blame my mom for being pissed.  But sometimes not recently but her family did things to annoy me as well like that and she's just tell me dont let them bother you.

My thought for the day is you are like really lucky if you get along well with even part of your family and would want to spend extended time with them.  

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I second this peeve!  I will say, sometimes I have luck with spraying a drop or two of WD40 up in the trigger mechanism where the parts connect with each other, then pump a few times to see if that gets things going.  I have the aerosol can of WD40 with the straw that lets you aim it pretty precisely.  That might help, except when it doesn't.

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Why the god damn hell can I never have a spray bottle that actually works properly?

I don't know, as I have the same problem.  Drives me nuts!

• Like 3
(edited)

There are certain days where I believe one just wakes up extra irritable or "on the wrong side of the bed".  I am having one of those days.  

I got told by someone I look more than 10 years younger my chronological age today.  Which you know that could be taken as compliment but I just found it condescending for some reason 

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I had a similar thing yesterday. The nurse at my doctor appointment asked me twice if my birthdate was correct. I was mostly stoked (especially because I’ve been feeling particularly unattractive lately), but a tiny part of me was irked that, apparently, my actual age is “supposed” to look like a fairy tale crone!

• Like 4
8 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Yes, I've had problems lately with the Johnson Wax brands, e.g., Fantastik and others.   I contacted them and they gave me a coupon for two bottles.  I usually buy the large refills and pour them into the smaller spray bottles, but then the triggers go bad. 

4 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

It seems like a fairly recent issue. I do not recall being mad at this in, say, my 20s and 30s! I don’t think I spray more often now than I did then!

Yes, because they changed the design of the triggers a couple of times. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 3
On 6/23/2023 at 5:24 PM, Bastet said:

July fry is just around the corner.

11 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I bought this - so far, so good. https://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-32-oz-Professional-Spray-Bottle-HDPRO36/100007602?

I 100% agree with you on the pre-filled bottles! Clorox brands started making the "no drop left behind" type bottles, which are nice but the damn sprayer stops working. I bought a bottle of Soft Scrub spray and there is a random crack in the bottle so it leaks whenever I hold it. It's almost gone, not worth returning. Just annoying A!F!

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

@theredhead77 Thanks for the link to the bottles.! I put them on my Shopping List on Amazon so I won't forget the brand. I know Amazon is more expensive, but a 70 mile round trip to the nearest Home Depot makes it kind of a wash what with gas prices... If I am going up to town for something else, then I'll check out Home Depot. They look great!

• Like 3

Massive peeve - Truck commercials. Every one of them shows their products crashing through beautiful forests, pristine rivers and tearing up serene country roads. I cringe every time I see one, they're destroying tiny ecosystems all over the country.

• Like 7
  • Fire 4
  • Applause 3
  • Love 3
On 6/23/2023 at 6:53 PM, meep.meep said:

Climate change describes any changes that might be occurring.  Weather is not climate; climate is long term weather.  Global warming is the type of climate change that the Earth is experiencing most recently.

Peeve - the wind storms we had last winter blew the hell out of my 30+ year old roof so now I have to shell out the big bucks for that.  I'm still picking up shingles.

If you got 30+ yrs out of a shingle roof, you're ahead of the game already. I know it sucks, had to do it in 2019 (23 yrs), and I'm still po'd about it, lol.

• Like 4
59 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Massive peeve - Truck commercials. Every one of them shows their products crashing through beautiful forests, pristine rivers and tearing up serene country roads. I cringe every time I see one, they're destroying tiny ecosystems all over the country.

I'd like to add speeding car ads to this peeve. Every time I see a car ad with the driver acting like (s)he's in a nascar race, I yell at the TV 🤬. I remember one ad in which a woman stepped out of the vehicle along with her littie kids. Equal opportunity dangerous drivers & a horrific example.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
52 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

If you got 30+ yrs out of a shingle roof, you're ahead of the game already. I know it sucks, had to do it in 2019 (23 yrs), and I'm still po'd about it, lol.

I know, but it still is a massive outlay.  Plus the roofers are really busy and probably can't even start until August.

• Hugs 2
2 hours ago, meep.meep said:

I know, but it still is a massive outlay.  Plus the roofers are really busy and probably can't even start until August.

Ugh, that reminds me of my roofer peeve when I was getting estimates (several years ago).  I was doing the responsible consumer thing and getting estimates from a few places.  They would come out, talk about what I was looking for,  measure things, run the numbers, and get back to me with a proposal.  Except one company - they came out, talked about what I was looking for, measured things, went off to run the numbers, then called and asked "so when can you and your husband be available for us to give you the estimate?"  Gah!!!  I just want to gather the estimates before I drag him into the process; he had other things to do!  Do you know how much of my time you've wasted?

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 4
(edited)

I hired a gardener for a very short while two years ago.  He was recommended by a neighbor.  He and his crew did a much needed cleanup after a couple of pandemic years of no cleanup.  But he was annoying in that he kept wanting to come by to pick up his payments instead of having me send a check.  He was weirdly intrusive and I stopped using him after the one month at the end of summer 2021.  LIke he'd call and ask when we would be home.  When I'm home, I don't want this guy coming around.  I had to keep saying never.  Is never too soon for you?  I told him I would mail a check and did. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 6
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Ugh, that reminds me of my roofer peeve when I was getting estimates (several years ago).  I was doing the responsible consumer thing and getting estimates from a few places.  They would come out, talk about what I was looking for,  measure things, run the numbers, and get back to me with a proposal.  Except one company - they came out, talked about what I was looking for, measured things, went off to run the numbers, then called and asked "so when can you and your husband be available for us to give you the estimate?"  Gah!!!  I just want to gather the estimates before I drag him into the process; he had other things to do!  Do you know how much of my time you've wasted?

So they had to have your husband present or they wouldn't agree to the job?  Obnoxious.  My husband avoids this stuff like the plague.  I'm the designated negotiator.  I guess I wouldn't be able to get a contracting job from someone like that.  The little lady isn't enough. Yuck.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
19 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

So they had to have your husband present or they wouldn't agree to the job?  Obnoxious.  My husband avoids this stuff like the plague.  I'm the designated negotiator.  I guess I wouldn't be able to get a contracting job from someone like that.  The little lady isn't enough. Yuck.

Worse - they had to have my husband present or they wouldn’t give me the estimate for the job. The estimate which by that point had taken up quite a bit of both my and their time. If they had just told me their “rule” up front, I could have moved on to someone else. At that point in history, there were plenty of roofers looking for jobs. 

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 2
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

It's the upside to divorce!

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Worse - they had to have my husband present or they wouldn’t give me the estimate for the job. The estimate which by that point had taken up quite a bit of both my and their time. If they had just told me their “rule” up front, I could have moved on to someone else. At that point in history, there were plenty of roofers looking for jobs. 

And if you didn’t have a husband, would they just decline even to come look at your house?  My lack of a husband (or lack of a penis) should not automatically disqualify me from having work done on my house. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 3
(edited)
29 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

And if you didn’t have a husband, would they just decline even to come look at your house?  My lack of a husband (or lack of a penis) should not automatically disqualify me from having work done on my house. 

The house was in both our names. I don’t remember if I disclosed that at some point or they knew it from public records. Their rationale was, we only want to present our estimate to both homeowners.  I can understand that they want both homeowners to sign the contract, but this was the only company that wouldn’t give me the estimate. 
(and to make it clear, they did come out to my house and took up a lot of my time getting info for the estimate, then refused to give it to me alone. That was the especially peevey part. )

2 hours ago, meep.meep said:

It's the upside to divorce!

In a way, I guess, but in this case it made it easy to know who I did and didn’t want to do business with. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Like 4
(edited)

Roofers are the worst to deal with. I had a problem with a roof vent that was pulled off slightly by a raccoon in 2020/2021. It then decided to have babies in the attic but the family moved out in May of 2021. So I sort of forgot about it. Until last summer, when I noticed wind had blown the vent away. My neighbour was due to have roofing done so I asked him if he could have his roofer repair my vent as well (I would pay), but would be cheaper than having someone make a stand alone call.

Sometime in October, part of the ceiling fell due to moisture and I could look straight up to approximately 1 square foot of sky! I procrastinated, still hoping the neighbour was going to do something with his roof . . . November rolled in so I started looking for my own roofer. After 3 weeks of contacting companies (it is a small job and many wanted to do whole roofs) I finally contacted a company called Professional Roofers who said they would come by and do an estimate. They told me the minimum charge, but still wanted to do an estimate (I am thinking grr just fix the hole). They were supposed to come at 11am - at 11:30 called to say it would be 1-3pm and then guess what - never showed up. So, I hear you @SoMuchTV on wasting my time! AND never responded when I contacted them to follow up.

Next I called a company in the area who I already knew would be expensive, but since I am in the neighbourhood I thought might be accommodating. They were, sort of. Couldn't send an estimator for two weeks, but was able to give me an estimate over the phone which I agreed to (and was consistent with the no show company). Only catch, he couldn't give me a date  for repairs - said they would just show up. They did - a couple of days later at 4:30pm (probably having finished their main job and on their way back to the "office" which is about 8 blocks away). They started setting up their ladders at the rear of the house and I went out to say Hi - the problem is at the front - they said easier to access from here. I thought OK if you want to climb over a very steep roof . . . . And by now it is early December so starting to get dark. So about 45 minutes later they knocked on my door and said they were done. By now it is fully dark. I learned that instead of fixing the roof vent they put down plywood and shingles and totally enclosed the area. I asked - did you check for raccoons first? No was the answer. I didn't think there were any raccoons (hadn't heard any, plus thought my very inquisitive kitten would alert me). They also assured me that I didn't need that vent since there were two at the back.

A few hours later I went upstairs and heard scratching, but thought it was on the roof. A few days later I noticed one of the roof vents was knocked slightly askew, but figured it was the roofers. No other sounds all winter.

Fast forward to May (the ceiling has not been fixed and not only do I not know who to call, but it will be mega expensive since it is a high ceiling and will require scaffolding, probably) and I hear a kerfuffle upstairs one morning. The feline unit is upset - but there is other crying. I just can't figure out where it is coming from. When I go upstairs, all the kitten does is run and hide under the bed. The kitten eventually comes downstairs and goes to sleep. Then I hear crying again and go upstairs to find a baby raccoon in my upstairs hall. It scatters away and I come downstairs to Google how to get rid of baby raccoons in your house.  Then it starts up again with crying and the kitten looks at me saying - this is not right, you need to fix this. So I got her carrier, put her in it (no resistance), grabbed a broom and opened the front door wide. I went upstairs and pushed/ prodded the raccoon down the stairs. When it got to the floor, it saw the door and made its way out. So clearly it was old enough to have been outside before, just not exiting the house that way. And that evening I saw a mother raccoon with 5 kits playing and feeding in my backyard so the mother found her baby and moved the rest of them out.

Since then I have found a good exterminator who put in a one way trap for a week and then fixed the vent and put a raccoon proof cages on top of all. That should have been the solution 2 years ago, but hindsight is 20/20. And that cost me what the ceiling repair will probably cost.

So pet peeve is 60% raccoons, 39% roofers, 1% kitten.

Edited by luv2lurk
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I just want to gather the estimates before I drag him into the process; he had other things to do!  Do you know how much of my time you've wasted?

17 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

So, just to give a perspective for the other side of this argument:. My husband is a self-employed repairman. To do an estimate he may have to get on your roof or into a cramped attic space or crawl space. He will then spend the time explaining to the customer what is wrong, what needs to be done and then the pricing involved. What would happen in the past is that he would do all of this, explain it to the customer only to get a call from an irate spouse (both men and women) who wasn't present wanting to know how it could possibly cost that much. Thankfully it doesn't happen often but he prefers to have both homeowners present so they both understand. 

Not defending misogynistic repair people, just offering another side to the story. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
(edited)

How much of a gimme/gift grab weddings are becoming. I know a woman getting married in a few weeks who had a bachelorette weekend in Atlantic City this past weekend and she posted a link to a Venmo her friends had set up for her in case you wanted to buy her drinks. Um, no. If you want to get drunk buy your own drinks or maybe your friends can take care of it. I’m especially not going to buy you a drink when you didn’t even invite me to your wedding. So tacky. 

Edit, to be clear: I have attended bridal showers and wedding ceremonies (and baby showers) for family and a couple of friends. I’m not talking about that type of gift giving especially when my friends and family are gracious about it. It’s more like the whole “I’m getting married so everyone needs to throw endless money at me and treat me like I’m special for months on end.” It’s like nothing is enough anymore. This woman has a wedding and reception planned, had a bridal shower, had an engagement party and was begging people to buy her drinks too? When is enough enough? Didn’t she get more than ample presents and parties? 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Like 6
  • Applause 2
4 hours ago, KittyMom4 said:

So, just to give a perspective for the other side of this argument:. My husband is a self-employed repairman. To do an estimate he may have to get on your roof or into a cramped attic space or crawl space. He will then spend the time explaining to the customer what is wrong, what needs to be done and then the pricing involved. What would happen in the past is that he would do all of this, explain it to the customer only to get a call from an irate spouse (both men and women) who wasn't present wanting to know how it could possibly cost that much. Thankfully it doesn't happen often but he prefers to have both homeowners present so they both understand. 

Not defending misogynistic repair people, just offering another side to the story. 

Oh I sympathize, but in my case, they had already spent the time (measuring, explaining the options, etc.), then told me they wouldn't give me the actual estimate. If they had told me their policy up front, we could have decided they seemed to be worth the time, or moved on to other companies.

And agreed, nobody deserves an irate spouse, but to be fair, if I follow the conventional advice to get multiple estimates, all but one of them are going to be (hopefully politely) rejected.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, meep.meep said:

I can say that each of the roofers that I've contacted has made sure that I was the one and only homeowner.

I have to say I’ve never heard of this in all my years! 👵 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

How much of a gimme/gift grab weddings are becoming. I know a woman getting married in a few weeks who had a bachelorette weekend in Atlantic City this past weekend and she posted a link to a Venmo her friends had set up for her in case you wanted to buy her drinks. Um, no. If you want to get drunk buy your own drinks or maybe your friends can take care of it. I’m especially not going to buy you a drink when you didn’t even invite me to your wedding. So tacky. 

Edit, to be clear: I have attended bridal showers and wedding ceremonies (and baby showers) for family and a couple of friends. I’m not talking about that type of gift giving especially when my friends and family are gracious about it. It’s more like the whole “I’m getting married so everyone needs to throw endless money at me and treat me like I’m special for months on end.” It’s like nothing is enough anymore. This woman has a wedding and reception planned, had a bridal shower, had an engagement party and was begging people to buy her drinks too? When is enough enough? Didn’t she get more than ample presents and parties? 

I got married in 2010, so before social media was a thing.  I mean, Facebook existed, but we weren't posting to show off like people started doing a few years after that.  I swear, people just want to out do their friends now.  Though when I got married, my parents freaked out because we had a registry (since they're not a thing in Chinese culture).  Well, I was born here, raised here, and people here have registries, so we had one.  My parents thought we could just buy everything ourselves since we get cash gifts from the Chinese side anyway.  They thought registries were, yep, gift grabs.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

It’s never bothered me to buy anything off a registry either. The only time I kind of panicked was when buying a friend a baby gift and it felt like everything had been taken already. I think I just bought something off the registry (like went to Target? This was about five years ago so I don’t remember) and she and her husband were still very happy and thankful.

The last few weddings I went to were simple and the brides were really relaxed and not at all the “here’s my Venmo; buy me pre-wedding drinks” type so I guess I just found it greedy and entitled knowing how many parties this bride already has had. (And it was her second bachelorette! She went out wearing her bride sash locally too.) I can only imagine what will happen if she has a baby…

• Like 2