Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

Ordeal By Innocence

Is this the BBC one that was made recently?  It was shown in 3 parts when it was on originally.  If so this is an example of one that is probably good  (I haven't seen it all so reserve judgement) but it played pretty fast and loose with the original novel!  Agatha Christie does not need rewriting IMO!

54 minutes ago, Kitty Redstone said:

Was it the ones from the early 2000s, with Geraldine McEwen and Julia McKenzie?

These.  I have no quarrel with the casting.  It was the way they "updated" the stories and in at least one of them changed the killer.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

if it helps: A Very English Scandal series 1 has Hugh Grant and is pretty good. Series 2 is a different scandal with different actors and is not good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2

A Very English Scandal is 3 episodes and Ben Whishaw won an Emmy for his performance.  The followup is A Very British Scandal, starring Claire Foy and Paul Bettany, also 3 episodes, and not nearly as good.

I find that IMDB is my friend when researching things like this.

obPeeve:  people who swing right when they are going to turn left, especially when I am in the lane to their right.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, meep.meep said:

people who swing right when they are going to turn left, especially when I am in the lane to their right.

That move typically causes some colorful language pop into my head when I see it happen.

• Like 2
  • Wink 1

Contractors who, when you hire them,  swear up and down that they can start a project on a specific day and then three months later you're still trying to get them to show up!

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Fire 2

Kids bouncing a basketball while they're standing around talking. This just started here with some preteen girls, one of whom lives next door. I guess we've been lucky all the years we've lived here not to have endured this before. It's really irritating.

• Like 5
35 minutes ago, ABay said:

It's a really annoying sound.

We (in our wisdom) decided to hang a hoop off the side of our house in the driveway. Right next to our bedroom wall. I used to get migraines and need to go lie in a dark room. My husband, oblivious, was sitting there while my son and his buddy shooting hoops against the wall. It never happened again.

• Like 4

I've posted my driving peeves including but not limited to people who don't signal, people who don't let signalers in, people who ride cruise control in the fast lane (but aren't going fast), slow drivers in the left lanes, and tailgaters. My newest one is nervous drivers. I know people need to get from point A to point B but if you are so nervous that you barely go 55 in the slow lane when the speed limit is 65 you are impeding traffic and are a danger. Take surface streets. Take a defensive driving course, do something but get the F off the freeway.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
11 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Right next to our bedroom wall.

Oof.

I was away with friends last weekend, and in the large Airbnb we rented, I had the bedroom on the far wall. Right outside my window, like 8 feet away, was a multi-level parking lot. It was the kind where you hand them the keys and they park your car for you.

Sunday morning, as we gathered together for coffee and such, one friend says: "So who had the room with the car alarm outside their window?"

That would be me. 3:55 AM it started with beep-beep, beep-beep, beep-beep, beep-beep, beep-beep. As I started to become conscious from that sound, the alarm went off.  Lasted a good 10-15 seconds. Seemed longer. Then about 15 seconds after that, I hear clear as day "You need to get up here and move the white Nissan, plate number XYZ123!!"

Dude had no chill for 3:55 AM. 

• Fire 1
16 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Kids bouncing a basketball while they're standing around talking. This just started here with some preteen girls, one of whom lives next door. I guess we've been lucky all the years we've lived here not to have endured this before. It's really irritating.

Aw, many moons ago at my old house when my kids were teens a neighbor had a hoop and all the kids would play from sun up to sundown through the summer months. Some days it was annoying but I remember the summer when all the kids had jobs or were moved out and I realized it was soooo quiet. Now when I hear the sound of basketball on pavement it makes me smile. 

But I understand your annoyance @annzeepark914!

13 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I've posted my driving peeves including but not limited to people who don't signal, people who don't let signalers in, people who ride cruise control in the fast lane (but aren't going fast), slow drivers in the left lanes, and tailgaters. My newest one is nervous drivers. I know people need to get from point A to point B but if you are so nervous that you barely go 55 in the slow lane when the speed limit is 65 you are impeding traffic and are a danger. Take surface streets. Take a defensive driving course, do something but get the F off the freeway.

Sing it! 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Give her cash, she can put it in her bank account and use it however she plans to pay for things while she's there.  In a nice card, perhaps with a Moleskin journal or travel gadget (small power bank to carry in her bag day to day gets my vote ) Don't make it hard for yourself. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

Do they still make traveller's cheques?  We got those for my son when he went to Italy & Greece with his high school.  We felt it would be safer than cash.  But now I wonder if you can get them and how easy would it be to find places to cash them.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Quof said:

Give her cash, she can put it in her bank account and use it however she plans to pay for things while she's there.  In a nice card, perhaps with a Moleskin journal or travel gadget (small power bank to carry in her bag day to day gets my vote ) Don't make it hard for yourself. 

Oh, I’m probably going to go the cash route, I can just transfer the amount into her account. But I liked the idea of having a special card that you know you’re buying something special with it. 

Overthinking is my middle name! 😆

• Like 2
  • Wink 2

You using US cash to buy a prepaid card in Euros is probably not the best plan anyway.  She should plan to use her regular credit card, paying in Euros (never accept the merchant's offer to charge you in your currency instead of the local currency) and let her bank convert the charges using their exchange rate on the day.  

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

If not fearful of losing all of the important things in one swell swoop there are several thin wristlets that have opening for phone with the power thing inside it and slots for cards, zippers for cash, chapstick ( I am a chapstick person. I am never without any and have them stashed in every room and car). Small enough to fit in purse and use as a wallet.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
36 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Do they still make traveller's cheques?  We got those for my son when he went to Italy & Greece with his high school.  We felt it would be safer than cash.  But now I wonder if you can get them and how easy would it be to find places to cash them.

I don't know when your son was in Italy & Greece, but my mom gave me a credit card when I went to university (with a very low limit).  Great for the semester I spent in England between my third and fourth year (yes, I know, most people go during their third, but this was very much a last minute thing for me...and my school has a campus in out there, so why not?).  I was over there Spring of 2001.  

• Like 1

Never exchange currency at a currency exchange place.  Such a ripoff, and then you have to change it back, paying again on the back end.  So glad those days are over.

The last time I ever saw traveler's checks was probably 1976.  People used to buy them because if they were lost or stolen you could replace them.  There was a fear that you would be stranded someplace without money.  That was the sales gimmick.  But now you can access your own bank account anywhere, so why would you buy them?  They may still sell them, but I can't imagine anyone buying them now.  Another problem was that if you used them overseas you were still stuck with having to exchange them at a bank for the local currency before you could use them.  

I use a credit card now for overseas travel.  I also will take out small amounts of local currency from the foreign bank using my own US ATM card.  Keep it to small amounts so you don't have to exchange back. 

• Useful 2
53 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I don't know when your son was in Italy & Greece, but my mom gave me a credit card when I went to university (with a very low limit). 

2008 - hindsight being 20/20 a low limit credit card sounds like it would have been a good idea.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

People who don’t respect privacy. That means going through my phone, looking over my shoulder while I text, opening my mail, wanting to know every single place I go, all of that is annoying and invasive.

Who is doing that to you??  (It's not appropriate for anyone - well, other than if it's an assistant opening mail as that's usually part of the job, but that certainly doesn't sound like the case here - I'm just quite curious as to the nature of the relationship that leads someone to think any of that is okay.)

• Like 7
2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Who is doing that to you??  (It's not appropriate for anyone - well, other than if it's an assistant opening mail as that's usually part of the job, but that certainly doesn't sound like the case here - I'm just quite curious as to the nature of the relationship that leads someone to think any of that is okay.)

It’s been different people throughout my life. I feel like I went from having parents who wouldn’t respect me as a kid or young adult to friends/coworkers who don’t respect my privacy. It’s normally men who are intrusive at work. I’m around my parents more lately because I’m helping take care of them at the moment, and they still don’t respect me as an adult. I think some of it might be out of concern for my safety, but it’s still annoying. (Not too long ago, my sister flipped out because my location looked sketch to her. I stopped sharing my location until she promised to chill.) And then at work I think some folks are curious about my appointments. I don’t think they need to know when it’s the dentist, eye doctor, gyno, lab work due to my acne med, the dermatologist, etc. I have a life even if I am healthy and child-free. 

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Re: using your credit card out of your country, let your credit card company know when you're leaving, where you'll be, and when returning. That's what we do, never had a problem.

I only had a problem once.  I notify my credit card company and my bank (since, like another poster said, I'll also withdraw a small amount of cash in the foreign currency from an ATM), but one time I had to make an international cell phone call from an ATM in Paris to yell at my bank that yes, it's me, and I notified you I was going to be here.

• Like 2

Hardly anyone takes traveller's cheques anymore, and there are lots of places that won't take American Express cards.  There are a number of reasonable cards that don't charge a foreign transaction fee -- some of them don't even charge an annual fee.

• Useful 2

Liz Claiborne examples of power pack wristlet

This is what I was mentioning in a previous post. I picked one up for $5 at a  Hamrick’s in Raleigh. It is super light and does keep your phone/ kindle etc charged when needed. I really bought it more for my kindle because it fit perfectly to keep in my small magazine tote I carry with me everywhere (always having something  to read is the secret to my husband talks to anyone about anything anywhere and also has no sense of time marriage. My reading tote plus my big tea cup/big iced coffee cup and I am good to go). Anyway, just some images of what I was talking about. It has three different small cords for the phone/kindle. You can plug it in your car to keep the pack charged. It’s just really kind of cool.

• Useful 3

My smart TV turning into a dumb TV today.  In the middle of the day the remote, which had 2 new batteries, decided not to power on or off, change volume, input, whatever.   The only thing I could do was run my Tivo from the Tivo remote, but then the volume went dead on Tivo. 

Somewhere in that time I tried removing the TV batteries and re-inserting them, the pressing the power button for a long time.  Nothing.   Then Sony mysteriously did a reboot.  Still no sound on Tivo.

Then in the evening the TV volume suddenly came back on.    Then TV remote goes back to working.

Meanwhile I figured out the Tivo to Sony remote control code so now I should have another working remote.  Until tomorrow?

• Mind Blown 2
On 4/18/2023 at 8:42 PM, RealHousewife said:

Some people say body positivity is promoting obesity, but unless I've missed something, I think the message is to just love your body. I have yet to hear anyone say, gain a hundred pounds for the heck of it, it's great for you. And leave Lizzo alone, pretty sure she hasn't done anything to you. She's a beautiful, talented woman living her life, not bothering anybody.

I'm not saying it's the whole movement, but there are a select few who bully celebs for losing weight or eating healthy saying that they are being fafphobic.  Like any other subgroup, it tends to give the whole thing a tarnish.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I'm not saying it's the whole movement, but there are a select few who bully celebs for losing weight or eating healthy saying that they are being fafphobic.  Like any other subgroup, it tends to give the whole thing a tarnish.

This.  Whose to say that these celebs weren't told by their doctor to lose it or else face consequences?  We don't have access to their medical records!

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

True. It's always extremists who give everyone a bad name. 

• Like 1
On 4/26/2023 at 9:05 PM, peacheslatour said:

My peeve of the day. Pick a format Primetimer!

I actually like this one because all the ads are at the bottom of the page.  And, of course, now that I've said that, they'll probably changed it again...

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
3 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

I actually like this one because all the ads are at the bottom of the page.  And, of course, now that I've said that, they'll probably changed it again...

I like the wider one too, but I wish it would just open that way! I get a narrow view first then it jumps to the wider version, very annoying!

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
6 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I like the wider one too, but I wish it would just open that way! I get a narrow view first then it jumps to the wider version, very annoying!

There is that, but to me, it's way less annoying than waiting for the mid-page ads to load in each thread like it used to.  Degrees of annoyance 😉

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

There is that, but to me, it's way less annoying than waiting for the mid-page ads to load in each thread like it used to.  Degrees of annoyance 😉

Yeah, that is true! I wish like @peacheslatour said, they'd pick one and just stay with it!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Peeve of the day. I'm watching the LOTR marathon on Paramount and every time there's momentum building or dramatic tension is almost high, BOOM! COMMERCIAL. It takes me right out of the movie and makes me stabby.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Like 7
  • Applause 1

This is a peeve but also not. 

So, when I order my replacement SodaStream cartridges, I am supposed to get a $15 credit for the returned empty ones. It's supposed to be "automatic," but every single time, I have to contact the seller and ask why I haven't gotten it. This is annoying and it has happened over and over. BUT...

the last couple of times, they say, yeah, OK, we are issuing the credit for you, blah blah. And instead of the $15, they issue the entire amount for the replacements ($60ish?). I have told them this more than once -- a couple of times before they even completed the issuing the credit -- but to no avail. So, fine, I guess I get free replacement canisters as long as I keep contacting them? 

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 3

Peeve:  When your Instacart order has incorrect items and the delivery person claims they're correct.  This happened to me today.  I live in a building where the delivery person is supposed to drop it off and then leave.  The concierge contacts me to either have them bring it up or for me to go downstairs to grab it.  Well, that didn't happen.  She said I had to confirm the order.  That's not how Instacart works.  I contacted them and they told me there weren't any reports of glitches from shoppers, so it was probably her phone.  She also missed an item (which was marked as shopped) and two items were incorrect.  I actually gave the items back to her.  One of the items was expiring tomorrow as well.  When I spoke with support, I was told that she wasn't even new, and that she's been doing this for a while.  So I don't know what was going on.  It was really frustrating (her English wasn't great, so I'm not even sure she understood everything I told her).  

• Sad 4

Work/business hours usually being around 8-5 at the latest and social/party hours usually being 9 pm-2 am or so.

Why can’t we begin work a little later and begin dance socials and whatnot a little earlier? Those of use who struggle with sleep need routine. 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Work/business hours usually being around 8-5 at the latest and social/party hours usually being 9 pm-2 am or so.

Why can’t we begin work a little later and begin dance socials and whatnot a little earlier? Those of use who struggle with sleep need routine. 

I stopped going to parties a long time ago.  These days, I want things to end by 9 pm.

• Like 10

We were at a family event yesterday - around 30 adults and 10 children and I can't speak for anyone else but I've spent the day today recovering from the chaos and the noise and the confusion!  I love my family but big parties are just not for me anymore.

• Like 8
  • Hugs 2

When I was still in CA my friends knew if I am out of the house, I'd stay out, but if I'm not out of the house by 7:30 or 8 pm I'm not going anywhere. So they made a point to invite me over to "pre-game" even if that was chilling at their house with water until we left for the destination.

I prefer intimate gatherings to large parties and now my 'party' friends are also spread across the country (and we're also getting older which means less parties) so it's a moot point.

• Like 6
15 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I prefer intimate gatherings to large parties and now my 'party' friends are also spread across the country (and we're also getting older which means less parties) so it's a moot point.

Same.  We haven't had my husband's family over to our place since we moved (we moved the weekend before the big lockdown), and I'm planning a lunch/brunch event with finger food.  I'm not sure how they'd take that - everything we've ever been to has been casual, but more formal sit down.   

• Like 4